Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2024, 11:35 AM   #1151
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Is the third Monday of January the most depressing day of the year?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 05:34 PM   #1152
Radii
Head Coach

My psychiatrist recommended light therapy to me the last time we met. Her recommendation was any light on Amazon that advertised a light of 10,000 lux, and to use it for 30 minutes a day early in the work day. I've been doing so for about a week, I can't really say if it's helping with anything yet, but there's tons of them available for relatively cheap so it seemed harmless to try out.

EDIT: specifically a suggestion for Seasonal Depression.

Last edited by Radii : 01-15-2024 at 06:05 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 06:19 PM   #1153
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That's why 9 days later, I'm heading to New Zealand!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 06:33 PM   #1154
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
My psychiatrist recommended light therapy to me the last time we met. Her recommendation was any light on Amazon that advertised a light of 10,000 lux, and to use it for 30 minutes a day early in the work day. I've been doing so for about a week, I can't really say if it's helping with anything yet, but there's tons of them available for relatively cheap so it seemed harmless to try out.

EDIT: specifically a suggestion for Seasonal Depression.

I've been using one too for a few years. Mostly because I like to wake up late and in the winter, I'm not getting much sun light. Can't really say if it works or not since I forget quite often, but I have felt better in the winter. I've also been taking Vitamin D and trying to get at least 10k steps in a day (or ride a few miles on the exercise bike).

The exercise has probably had the best effect on me. When I'm walking a lot, I do feel like I'm in a much better mood (plus it has improved my sleep).

The catch-22 is that when you feel shitty, the last thing you want to do is go outside and move around.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:50 AM   #1155
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So last March after my dad passed I started taking stock in my life and one of the things I determined was sports betting wasn't healthy for me. I made my last bet March 17 last year. I started seeing a therapist to deal with my grief as well as other things. He determined I was not a gambling addict, which is good, I just felt like it made me a person I didn't like being. It wasn't a financial thing, although I wasn't telling my wife how much or often I was betting. I would stay up super late at night, step out of family events to make bets, etc...I did eventually discuss it with my wife who was beyond supportive. Overall I am much happier a person.

This will be the first Superbowl in over 30 years I haven't bet on, other than squares, and it feels a bit weird not to hammer a bunch of stupid props. I haven't even looked at them.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:32 AM   #1156
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Not much changed on the marriage front. My wife is struggling with so much. I try to be supportive but she does a lot of self-inflicted damage.

Lawyer called and we're moving to mediation in about 30 days, if I decide to go forward.

I just feel the weight of disrupting my boys' lives over things that should've been so simple to keep in control.

She would have to drastically change so much that I don't think she's capable of, and I believe that to be okay. You can't change who you are unless you want to, but at the same point after 13 years, you know what you are getting.

I don't consider the post divorce lifestyle to be much better. I'm not a type A regardless of my aggressive posting on the board. I just want equilibrium to things.

When my kids needed things I didn't have any problems with that. This past Christmas my wife floated the idea of not having Christmas. I was so angry, because my children are being punished for her decisions. I was able to cobble together to get them a nice Christmas. But this entitlement and then when things go bad everyone else has to pay for it is exactly why I filed.

I work out which helps reduce the stress. I try to enjoy the time I have with my sons as if it's the last time because things are going to change.

Couples therapy just shows me we're locked into who we are.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:07 AM   #1157
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I've shared my experience with my father having Alzheimer's upthread. This week I met with my Mom and her lawyer to chart the financial and legal intricacies of moving them both into a community where he can eventually have the option of Memory Care (and in the interim they'll have less to keep up around the house and the option of caretaker help) without losing all their money.

It's too much complexity for my Mom, so I'm basically in charge as the only sibling capable of doing so. Adding to the complexity is that they're half the country away. In addition, it is clear that in a worst-case scenario (either of them needing extended nursing home care), I'm likely the financial backstop, which has scuttled any hope of a near-term retirement.

To add to that, our 12-year-old son, who has had bullying issues at school for about a year now saw his therapist two weeks ago, who pulled us aside afterwards and told us he has a concrete plan to end his life and needs to go into a facility immediately. Which we did. We're now working through that while simultaneously doing all the work to transfer him to a private school (another hit to the retirement plans) for at least the remainder of 7th and all of 8th grade.

What keeps me going is the thought that at some point, X years from now, this is all better. But this is not a lot of fun.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:12 AM   #1158
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

OMG flere. As the parent of a 13 year old this horrifies me. Not to freak you out but a 12 year old kid next town over took his own life last week so thank god you listened and took it seriously.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:59 AM   #1159
JPhillips
General Manager

Jeez flere. God bless. That's incredibly scary and stressful.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:59 PM   #1160
Kodos
Resident Alien

Parenting is so much harder than I thought it would be. Hang in there Flere, Qwiksot and everyone else who is struggling.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote