Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #551
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Based on the reveal at the end of the episode in the barn, I think this "phase" of the show is going to wrap up pretty quickly. I am not sure if they will be forced to flee Hershel's farm or what will become of Sophia, but I would be surprised if they remain in this pattern - which has been 4 episodes to date - much longer.

As I have noted before, I think this is going to be an on-going problem with this show. There is no real story arc. The show is about survival. Survival isn't inherently interesting. I like the inter-personal dramas well enough and haven't even come close to losing interest in the show. They have spent a lot of time on Sophia, but that kind of makes sense and the cracks are beginning to show a bit. That said, there have been some sequences like the zombie in the well and - as much as I love Darryl - some of the Darryl down the chasm - that felt like they went on a little too long.

I do think they will need to ratchet things up a bit. There is a big plotline in the comic - for example - that depending on how they time things - would appear to kick off either near the end of this season or season 3. I think that could be wildly entertaining and really something quite different.

This is still the only show currently on that I *must* watch "live" (well, a 20 minute delay to fast foward commercials) (The only other one is "Game of Thrones" and that isn't on right now). The rest I watch when I can.

I agree with a lot of this. They need a 'McGuffin' to keep the group at the farm so they can tell the part of the story with the barn. So, they lose Sophia. Kind of dragging on a little too long with it in my opinion, but, I see what they are doing.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #552
Grover
Pro Starter

I want to know Herschel's reasoning for keeping the walkers in the barn. Are the family? Farmhands?

I agree that things have been a bit tedious at times, but I'm not close to losing interest in the show. I'm still hoping Merle (with one hand) and the guy and his son from the first episode turn up again at some point. (I've forgotten his name.)

As for Sophia, I'd like to assume she's become a walker, wasn't the black walker one of the two that were chasing her and Rick?

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #553
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I want to know Herschel's reasoning for keeping the walkers in the barn. Are the family? Farmhands?

I agree that things have been a bit tedious at times, but I'm not close to losing interest in the show. I'm still hoping Merle (with one hand) and the guy and his son from the first episode turn up again at some point. (I've forgotten his name.)

As for Sophia, I'd like to assume she's become a walker, wasn't the black walker one of the two that were chasing her and Rick?

Herschel heavily hinted at his reasoning during one of his fist conversations with Rick on the front porch. Based on his take, I think Herschel feels like this is just another plague or virus. That it can be dealt with and that there will be a cure. So, instead of killing family, farmhands, or even just poor "diseased" strangers, he puts them in the barn in hopes that they will one day be "cured". Good intentions, but... so very, very flawed.

I think the black guy and his son are Morgan and Dwayne, if I recall correctly. I'd love to see them again too. I thought Morgan was a terrific actor and his scene where he tried, but couldn't, shoot his zombie-wife was one of the most powerful in the show.

I thought Rick killed both walkers that were after them.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #554
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Good question. Hershel is a vet, so it could be curiosity/try to find a cure or vaccine or they could be family members and farmhands like you said. There was a interesting line where someone said not to kill a walker or something, but, to let Hershel know first.

Quote:

I'm still hooked, just wish they'd wrap up the Sophia search here soon. Yes! Merle showing up would be something else. Maybe the helicopter from the first/second(?) episode picked him up after he cut his hand off. The episode prior to last nights, Daryl found the old house with a blanket and pillow in the pantry. It seemed rather small for an adult and then he finds Sophia's doll. So, I'm thinking she's still alive.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 11-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #555
Butter
Coordinator

I bet he's keeping them just on the off chance that they find a cure for whatever it is. He seemed awfully interested in talking to Rick about that when they first got there.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #556
Butter
Coordinator

I hate all of you people that type faster than me.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #557
JediKooter
Coordinator

Mavis Beacon

Old 11-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #558
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Good question. Hershel is a vet, so it could be curiosity/try to find a cure or vaccine or they could be family members and farmhands like you said. There was a interesting line where someone said not to kill a walker or something, but, to let Hershel know first.

Yes! I believe Rick said it when Andrea spotted Daryl emerging from the wood.

Quote:
I'm still hooked, just wish they'd wrap up the Sophia search here soon. Yes! Merle showing up would be something else. Maybe the helicopter from the first/second(?) episode picked him up after he cut his hand off. The episode prior to last nights, Daryl found the old house with a blanket and pillow in the pantry. It seemed rather small for an adult and then he finds Sophia's doll. So, I'm thinking she's still alive.

Did either Rick or Shane notice the piece of blue cloth hanging from the tree when they were talking about their high school sex affairs? I can't remember either of them noticing it as they moved through the woods.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #559
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes! I believe Rick said it when Andrea spotted Daryl emerging from the wood.

Speaking of which ... that wasn't something we'd ever heard before was it? I mean, I took it that it was from an off-camera conversation with Herschel or something.

Quote:
Did either Rick or Shane notice the piece of blue cloth hanging from the tree when they were talking about their high school sex affairs? I can't remember either of them noticing it as they moved through the woods.

Yes, they commented on it. That's how the conversation sort of ended, with something along the lines of "there's T-Bone's & whoever-he-was-with marker, we must have wandered into their search grid".
Old 11-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #560
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Speaking of which ... that wasn't something we'd ever heard before was it? I mean, I took it that it was from an off-camera conversation with Herschel or something.

I don't think it was something we heard Herschel say on screen. Rick just relayed the message that Herschel was supposed to deal with any walkers, not them.

I did like Glenn's reaction to Darryl's ear necklace and Rick's rather practical response to that little situation.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #561
MikeVic
Head Coach

Still too boring for me. I'm welcoming the break coming up, and hope it ends with something cool that makes me want to watch the show as it's happening.

I liked the stuff with Merle and Daryl, showing that they are indeed totally different. I feel like I was projecting Merle's personality onto Daryl and that helped clarify that I was wrong about Daryl's character.

Other than that, it was just a bunch of stuff that annoyed me. The first 15 minutes were so boring (flashback to show that Atlanta was bombed took too long, Lori/Jamie Lee Curtis talking while hanging clothes, Daryl with the horse), the talk Rick/Shane had while walking was too boring. If they have scenes like that, I need to think a zombie attack can occur. Not sure how it could have been done differently, but I was not thinking about zombies at all during those scenes.

Some of the characters just seem soooo stupid and I loved the old guy saying "it's amazing you guys have survived to this point." Why the hell would Annie Duke blondie shoot Daryl? Is she really THAT immature or wanting to prove herself or something like that? Both sides were clearly not walking towards each other for a bit. Why still shoot, especially when you were told not to? That's one of those things where the rest of the party should be like "ok, you're an idiot and you'll en-danger our lives, no more guns for you."

The zombie chewing Daryl's shoe was a nice filming transition from Merle, but it seems kind of weird for the zombie to be doing that. Maybe I give zombies too much credit, but I'd think they could smell the flesh or something and go directly for at least his leg.

The zombies in the farmhouse bugged me too. How has no one heard this herd of zombies before, or how have the zombies not tried to break out because people are clearly walking around the farmhouse. It could have been easily explained away with something like the generator right beside the farmhouse to drown out noise or something.

I think this show has become something I wasn't expecting out of a zombie show. Maybe zombie shows don't work for me then, and just concentrated efforts like movies. Or maybe they're not doing a good job of creating an environment where they have to survive. The farm stuff has been so boring, just a random zombie here or there. I hope they hit the road soon and come across more zombies next episode or I may be done.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #562
Grover
Pro Starter

Thing is, it's not a "zombie show," it's a survival show.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #563
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Still too boring for me. I'm welcoming the break coming up, and hope it ends with something cool that makes me want to watch the show as it's happening.

I liked the stuff with Merle and Daryl, showing that they are indeed totally different. I feel like I was projecting Merle's personality onto Daryl and that helped clarify that I was wrong about Daryl's character.

Other than that, it was just a bunch of stuff that annoyed me. The first 15 minutes were so boring (flashback to show that Atlanta was bombed took too long, Lori/Jamie Lee Curtis talking while hanging clothes, Daryl with the horse), the talk Rick/Shane had while walking was too boring. If they have scenes like that, I need to think a zombie attack can occur. Not sure how it could have been done differently, but I was not thinking about zombies at all during those scenes.

Some of the characters just seem soooo stupid and I loved the old guy saying "it's amazing you guys have survived to this point." Why the hell would Annie Duke blondie shoot Daryl? Is she really THAT immature or wanting to prove herself or something like that? Both sides were clearly not walking towards each other for a bit. Why still shoot, especially when you were told not to? That's one of those things where the rest of the party should be like "ok, you're an idiot and you'll en-danger our lives, no more guns for you."

The zombie chewing Daryl's shoe was a nice filming transition from Merle, but it seems kind of weird for the zombie to be doing that. Maybe I give zombies too much credit, but I'd think they could smell the flesh or something and go directly for at least his leg.

The zombies in the farmhouse bugged me too. How has no one heard this herd of zombies before, or how have the zombies not tried to break out because people are clearly walking around the farmhouse. It could have been easily explained away with something like the generator right beside the farmhouse to drown out noise or something.

I think this show has become something I wasn't expecting out of a zombie show. Maybe zombie shows don't work for me then, and just concentrated efforts like movies. Or maybe they're not doing a good job of creating an environment where they have to survive. The farm stuff has been so boring, just a random zombie here or there. I hope they hit the road soon and come across more zombies next episode or I may be done.

I really liked the dialogue between Rick and Shane at the beginning. It was well written and flowed naturally from the mundane topic of Shane's highschool conquests to the bigger issue of whether to fish or cut bait on Sophia. While the first part is a lot what of what we've heard before - but still entertaining - the whole question of making the "tough call" and what not was newer, at least I felt it was. I do agree, however, there does seem to be a lot of going in circles. I also liked Glenn's reaction to Darryl's ear necklace and Rick's response to it.

I think the complaint of the lack of tension/boredom is a good one and I think a big part of it has to do with the current setting. Outside of the barn, Hershel's farm seems too much like an oasis from the zombie apocalypse. Apparently the farm is remote enough and the barb-wired fence around the property is sound enough that they have very few problems with walkers. Add in the fresh water, the generator and what not and all you really have is a bunch of people sitting around talking about their issues. Other than the Shane/Otis adventure, since they've been in the farm the only real zombies we've seen were the two that went after Darryl. The zombie in the well was just a distraction. Hopefully, getting the group off the farm and to a different location will change this dynamic.

I really have no problem at all with the barn. It's far enough away and no one ever went over to it. I think they established pretty well that zombies tend to be pretty placid and quiet when not aroused. Those zombies have been locked in the barn for a while now and have sort of gone on zombie "shutdown" if you will. They don't make too much noise and just sort of stand and wander around. They got all riled up when they saw Glenn.

Darryl and Glenn are the best, no doubt. That said, I still like Rick and Shane. Maggie does show promise.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #564
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Thing is, it's not a "zombie show," it's a survival show.

Ok, then show some surviving, not living fairly comfortably on a farm with electricity, food, no threats, running hot water, etc. The first season had a few great episodes and some bleh episodes, and this season has been very underwhelming so far. I'm hoping for better, but if this is the type of show it'll be... then I don't think it's for me.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #565
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I really liked the dialogue between Rick and Shane at the beginning. It was well written and flowed naturally from the mundane topic of Shane's highschool conquests to the bigger issue of whether to fish or cut bait on Sophia. While the first part is a lot what of what we've heard before - but still entertaining - the whole question of making the "tough call" and what not was newer, at least I felt it was. I do agree, however, there does seem to be a lot of going in circles. I also liked Glenn's reaction to Darryl's ear necklace and Rick's response to it.

I thought the morality question about whether you search for the girl or not was asked when they first decided to look for her... I don't need it asked again now that they've been looking for 72 hours (I think that's what Shane said), especially if it takes that entire scene to pretty much get there. I liked the necklace response too. The necklace was cool, and then Rick's response was appropriate.

Quote:
I really have no problem at all with the barn. It's far enough away and no one ever went over to it. I think they established pretty well that zombies tend to be pretty placid and quiet when not aroused. Those zombies have been locked in the barn for a while now and have sort of gone on zombie "shutdown" if you will. They don't make too much noise and just sort of stand and wander around. They got all riled up when they saw Glenn.

Yeah, I'll need to see how it's handled next episode before I can fully have opinions on it.

Another part that I forgot about that was just kind of a wtf? moment was the RV guy's reaction to Glenn sleeping with the farmer's daughter. He seemed pretty outraged and had such a "how could you do that!?" reaction. I guess that's just his character, to show respect to their host and not sleep with the daughter or something, so maybe I just don't like the character then.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #566
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Another part that I forgot about that was just kind of a wtf? moment was the RV guy's reaction to Glenn sleeping with the farmer's daughter. He seemed pretty outraged and had such a "how could you do that!?" reaction. I guess that's just his character, to show respect to their host and not sleep with the daughter or something, so maybe I just don't like the character then.

Nothing WTF about that one to me.

His reaction was about Glenn putting all of the group at risk by doing something that seems likely to upset an already doubtful Herschel. He (correctly) assumed that ol' Herschel wouldn't like the idea of Maggie becoming the proverbial farmer's daughter.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #567
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
but if this is the type of show it'll be... then I don't think it's for me.

It happens, to the best of viewers and the best of shows.

Mad Men is a great case in point for me. I like the premise, I love the universe, hated the way into quickly descended into old school nighttime soap opera territory. I was gone by the middle of the first season because of that.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #568
JediKooter
Coordinator

Yea, I can see how it can be a bit boring right now. There's no tension other than trying to find Sophia. Even the pregnancy, I didn't feel any more tension, just more along the lines of, 'well, that was a dumb thing to get yourself into'.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #569
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I thought Dale's reaction to Glenn sleeping with Hershel's daughter wasn't out of the blue. He's an older guy and I think it was to show respect for their host. Just like Hershel's reaction to Maggie and Glenn was about him being a father. He wants these people gone as soon as possible and fully intends to get rid of them once they find Sophia and doesn't want his daughter to get hurt when they (including Glenn) get the boot.

I probably like the character stuff more than most, but I think there are currently two problmes. The first, as I mentioned above, is the farm. It's too safe, too secure, too many creature comforts. It really lessens the overall tension in the show.

The second is that we know the characters. Daryl's little adventure down the chasm was interesting because it gave us a little more insight to him. And, as much as I enjoyed the Rick/Shane conversation in the woods, it was mainly old ground. A lot of the character interactions have a sort of "been there, done that" feel to them. So there is a bit of the old spinning of the wheels from time to time. In fact, I think what makes Glenn and Darryl so interesting is that they tend to do a lot less of that than the other characters.

I've always believed that this show can't be "all zombies all of the time." That would just grow a bit tiresome. The zombies would either stop feeling like a threat or it would just be a bloodbath. That said, it can't be "all characters all of the time" either. We could use a little bit better balance.

Another potential solution to the tension issue is to add "other people" as a threat. Zombie Movie 101 clearly states that "other people" are a much bigger threat than the zombies themselves.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #570
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Congrats for Andrea missing the first headshot in this show's history.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #571
flounder
High School Varsity

I think an interesting dynamic for the show would be to have the group find pockets of normalcy that are suddenly ripped away from them. I thought the best moment in the first season was when they finally get to the CDC and found that the doors were locked. I think they could have handled the final episode better, but I thought it was also effective to show them taking showers and eating hot meals only to get immediately thrown back into danger.

If the whole point of the last few episodes has been to get everyone to relax so that we get hit with a punch from nowhere, I'm ok with that. It's just taken about twice as long to get there as was really needed.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #572
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Congrats for Andrea missing the first headshot in this show's history.

I thought the same thing. Though, I do think Otis and Shane had a few misfires during Otis' last moments.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #573
stevew
Hall Of Famer

In EP6, did Jenner whisper to Rick that Lori was pregnant?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 AM   #574
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
In EP6, did Jenner whisper to Rick that Lori was pregnant?

That's the speculation, but we don't know for sure.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #575
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I thought the morality question about whether you search for the girl or not was asked when they first decided to look for her... I don't need it asked again now that they've been looking for 72 hours (I think that's what Shane said), especially if it takes that entire scene to pretty much get there. I liked the necklace response too. The necklace was cool, and then Rick's response was appropriate.
I think the addition of 72 hours passing is the law enforcement response. I don't think anyone was opposed to searching immediately for the girl, but like they said, if you haven't found a missing child after 48 hours or whatever, you're (likely) looking for a corpse. I suppose in their current situation as opposed to regular society, it's more likely that some other group of survivors picked her up and can't get the word out (or doesn't want to), but I also find it highly unlikely that that girl can survive for 4+ days alone in the wilderness with random zombies.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #576
DanGarion
Coordinator

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #577
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not a bad episode, felt a little abrupt at times just because so many storylines moved at once after several weeks of build up.

Amidst the pace of the episode there was a moment that was one of my favorites in the series so far: the 2-3 moments where we're shown a character discovering the concept of "bullet time" was pretty well done I thought. Wasn't very complicated really, nor unexpected either, but I liked how they made it clear to us in a matter of a couple of seconds
Old 11-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #578
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I thought this was perhaps the best episode this season.

Good zombie action. Moved things forward. Some great writing and acting to boot.

Good stuff.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #579
Grover
Pro Starter

I have to say that the wounds on the walker in the pharmacy were a bit shelf inflicted.

zing.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #580
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I suspect that you'll be moving on...

I really hope Hershel gets killed next week.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #581
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

When is Shane gonna bang that blonde, for godsake?

edit: well my question was just answered.

Last edited by Bigsmooth : 11-21-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #582
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
When is Shane gonna bang that blonde, for godsake?

edit: well my question was just answered.

I feel like there's a lot of sexual tension with Daryl and Andrea too.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #583
hawk4669
High School JV

My bet is on Daryl and Sophia's mom....

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #584
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post
My bet is on Daryl and Sophia's mom....

Yuck.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:16 AM   #585
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's the speculation, but we don't know for sure.

Seems unlikely that Jenner told Rick about the pregnancy.

I'm amazed these people are still alive. Rather than risking the whole group in an aimless run for Fort Benning, it seems as if maybe you should send out a scout team to make sure the path is clear, plus that it's safe. It's only 120mi.

Fuel wise, I would be siphoning everything. It has now been like 2months, foraging and obtaining supplies should be a daily job.

I'd also be switching to diesel vehicles, it seems you'd be very likely to find abandoned semi trucks. Those things hold 250 gallons of fuel or more.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #586
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Seems unlikely that Jenner told Rick about the pregnancy.

Based on Rick's reaction to the pills and whot not I think seems much more than "unlikely." Rick's not the kind of guy who would pretend not to know something he knows.

Quote:
I'm amazed these people are still alive. Rather than risking the whole group in an aimless run for Fort Benning, it seems as if maybe you should send out a scout team to make sure the path is clear, plus that it's safe. It's only 120mi.

Fuel wise, I would be siphoning everything. It has now been like 2months, foraging and obtaining supplies should be a daily job.

I'd also be switching to diesel vehicles, it seems you'd be very likely to find abandoned semi trucks. Those things hold 250 gallons of fuel or more.

I am not so sure about the scout team idea. 120 mi may not seem like a far distance today, but with blocked roads, wrecks, zombie-infested areas... It's quite a trek. Who do you bring? Who do leave behind? What happens if the group who gets left behind has to move because a herd comes or something else? There is no reliable way of communication across distances. The odds of being able to reconnect your "scout" team with the rest of the group are iffy at best.

There is no saying that foraging supplies isn't a daily job. There are a lot of people doing things off-screen. There is just no reason to show every menial task.

The switch to diesel vehicles isn't a bad idea. Though I am not sure how readily available manageable diesel vehicles would be and there do seem to be plenty non-diesel vehicles around.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #587
DanGarion
Coordinator

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #588
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Though I am not sure how readily available manageable diesel vehicles would be and there do seem to be plenty non-diesel vehicles around.

"Manageable" might be the key word here.

We've had it emphasized a couple of times that Dale is basically the only guy in the group who is much on car maintenance (although I imagine that Daryl would know his way around a bike & could help if so inclined), that was somewhat referenced again last night with the bit about him teaching Glenn a few things.

Maybe Dale's knowledge doesn't extend to the differences between diesel & traditional engines, in which case it would make more sense to stick with something you have a better chance of repairing on the fly.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #589
hawk4669
High School JV

Quote:
Yuck.

Agreed....but still my bet.

www.hbfire.org
Old 11-22-2011, 12:44 AM   #590
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Nothing ruins a show like Kevin Smith appearing on it. Had to suffer thru his dumb ass on Talking Dead.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #591
mckerney
Coordinator

I’m not relishing the thought of the show finding Sophia alive and then going to great lengths to convince us of how this is plausible. At this point, they need to wrap up that search-party story line immediately. The most gutsy and heartstring-pulling move would be for Sophia to pop up at the Farm as a zombie, but we’ll see if that happens. I’d also be fine with them pretending like she never existed the way they did with that family last season who just walked off into the woods without food or water to go on a family vacation to Birmingham.

This was written after the third episode of the season, even more true now three episodes later. I'm guessing they'll find her next episode and head for Fort Benning with it being the last episode before the midseason break.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #592
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I’d also be fine with them pretending like she never existed the way they did with that family last season who just walked off into the woods without food or water to go on a family vacation to Birmingham.

There is a plenty to rip on this show about without the need to make shit up. That family didn't "walk off into the woods without food or water." They drove off in a car with plenty of supplies. Given how fucked up and crazy our current group is, they were all the wiser for it. And what does this guy expect? The show to follow this family? For the group to talk fondly about a bunch of strangers they knew for a short time? Come on.

As for this episode...

I thought the scene between Rick and Lori at the end was near perfect, especially Rick's admission that he knew it all along. I thought that was pretty powerful and very consistent with Rick's character. He's not emotional person. He's also not a stupid person. I think he was trying to lie to himself that what he thought happened between Lori and Shane didn't happen, but once she said it, what's the point of lying to yourself? Lori's complaint about Rick has always been that he's distant and unemotional. His reaction was perfect and entirely consistent with his character. I sersiouly doubt that this is the end of it. It's just the beginning and was perfectly written and very well acted. I loved it.

Overall, this was Lori's best episode by far. I had quite a bit of sympathy for her and felt like her acting, which up until this point has been pretty weak or one note, was fantastic. She's desperately trying to hold onto the past. That "well" she was talking about is how she gets by. That's why she was uneasy with the idea of looting the cars or having her son carry a gun around even though that's the world they now live in. I think it helps explain some of her shrillness. I found her tortured decision about what to do with her baby also to be very well done.

Glenn was great as always. Over the last two episodes he's shown more character and personality than he has in some 70? 80? issues of the comic? I love his guileless and earnest nature, as well as his ability to kick zombie ass.

I was happy to see Andrea start becoming the Sone-Cold Killah everybody has been clamoring for.

I liked Dale's reaction to the zombies in the barn information. Dale really isn't a hair trigger type of guy. I mean, he's been holding on to that "I saw Shane point his gun at Rick" fact for a long time before he felt like he needed to unleash it. I really liked that scene between Dale and Shane. Poor Dale, he feels so threatened and cares so much about Andrea, but it's not a good idea to get on crazy Shane's bad side.

I am not at all frustrated by this show. I do agree that there could and probably should be more zombie action. I also think that they need to leave the farm too - it's simply too secure feeling and too removed from the desperation we saw in season 1.

And they most definitely need to wrap up the Sophia thing and it has to be satisfactory. What I would consider satisfactory... I don't quite yet know. Though I think that it would either include Sophia being found dead or a zombie. The only way that I think she could realistically still be alive is if she was found by some other people who took care of her or helped her survive. If they just find her surving on her own and it's a "happy" ending for this laborious plotline... Ugh.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #593
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well
Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #594
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Nuts
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #595
sabotai
General Manager

Well that certainly did not disappoint.

(For those waiting until the replay to watch and accidentally wonders in here, I'll put it in spoiler tags)
Spoiler
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #596
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Got this msg from a friend of mine a few minutes ago. He has known the young man who plays Carl & his family for years.

Quote:
tell your Walking Dead friends, that Chandler is in time out for his language tonight on the show... from his mom...lol
Old 11-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #597
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow. That was awesome.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #598
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Got this msg from a friend of mine a few minutes ago. He has known the young man who plays Carl & his family for years.

Heh! Good stuff. Thanks for sharing that, Jon.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #599
Grover
Pro Starter

Wow.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #600
hawk4669
High School JV

On a side note....February before new episodes? Really? Ugh.

www.hbfire.org