Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #701
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

Yeah, if next week's episode devoted the entire first segment to Lori being devoured by zombies I would still be slightly disappointed if they came back from commercial break and had moved on to something else. My guess is it's just a way to boot the pregnancy and sew some seeds of discord between Rick and Lori, but I would really like it if she went bye-bye.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #702
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

someone on another board made a good point- about the final scene, it just doesn't make sense.

These 2 guys from philly have survived and traveled a lot, they have most likely seen a lot, and survived a lot and have a decently good grasp of surviving in zombie world. They obviously have some sort of supplies as they've made it this far, even though they may be running thin. They are in a town and could presumably scavenge around for food / water / supplies, the group we are following doesn't seem to be having too much trouble with that. They are going to risk death to go to this wonderful farm they know very little about, except that there are other people there....he's planning on shooting rick and then going back to the farm, think they are going to be accepted with open arms? This risk/reward just isn't there... I know it's a TV show, but that scene was the only high point of the episode for me. I don't even want to get into what Lori was doing, that was pathetic writing. And once again the walking dead didn't have any walkers... for as scared as they are of these things being around every corner they don't show up much in the show.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #703
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
someone on another board made a good point- about the final scene, it just doesn't make sense.

These 2 guys from philly have survived and traveled a lot, they have most likely seen a lot, and survived a lot and have a decently good grasp of surviving in zombie world. They obviously have some sort of supplies as they've made it this far, even though they may be running thin. They are in a town and could presumably scavenge around for food / water / supplies, the group we are following doesn't seem to be having too much trouble with that. They are going to risk death to go to this wonderful farm they know very little about, except that there are other people there....he's planning on shooting rick and then going back to the farm, think they are going to be accepted with open arms? This risk/reward just isn't there... I know it's a TV show, but that scene was the only high point of the episode for me. I don't even want to get into what Lori was doing, that was pathetic writing. And once again the walking dead didn't have any walkers... for as scared as they are of these things being around every corner they don't show up much in the show.

There are a lot of assumptions built up in all of that.

We really don't know much of anything about Dave and Tony. Maybe Dave thought if they killed Rick, the only one who was openly armed and appeared to be a threat, that the old drunk and the young, terrified looking guy would fold like a house of cards. You take down the other group's "alpha male", sweep into the farm, take what you need/want and move on. Perhaps that's how they've rolled since living in Philly. Plan just backfired here because Rick was faster.

That scene was great and believable.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #704
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Hopefully this will be the end of the Lori character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbo Klice View Post
My guess is it's just a way to boot the pregnancy and sew some seeds of discord between Rick and Lori, but I would really like it if she went bye-bye.

There is no way Lori dies as a result of this and I doubt that the crash "boots" the pregnancy. The later is more likely than the former, but not too likely. Though it would be a way to avoid having to pretend crazy-thin Lori is pregnant.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #705
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm going with some sort of eventual trade involving Lori. Possible that the Philly group will eventually trade her for the farm or something(hopefully)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #706
Butter
Coordinator

I'm with H_B. I totally bought that scene.

Now, the Lori trying to chase them down shit, not so much.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #707
flounder
High School Varsity

I don't disagree with what people are saying about Lori, but unless you boot the writers or AMC execs too, nothing will get better. Lori is the symptom, not the disease.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #708
stevew
Hall Of Famer

As a fan of Prison Break, she's certainly part of the disease. She sucks at acting.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #709
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

We really don't know much of anything about Dave and Tony. Maybe Dave thought if they killed Rick, the only one who was openly armed and appeared to be a threat, that the old drunk and the young, terrified looking guy would fold like a house of cards. You take down the other group's "alpha male", sweep into the farm, take what you need/want and move on. Perhaps that's how they've rolled since living in Philly. Plan just backfired here because Rick was faster.

yeah, I am on the record as having a ton of issues of this sort with the show...but I'm with HB on this one. no issue with the scene.

and no, Lori isn't going anywhere (I personally don't get the hate - she's well down on the list of characters I would like to see die in a fire)
Old 02-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #710
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Pretty sure Glen was right there with shotgun in hand, I'd have to re-watch to make sure, but I highly doubt he'd have left it in the truck.

I can see what you're saying, I just don't necessarily agree with it. Kill those 2- make the old man bring you back to pillage for supplies, but they also have no idea what is back at the farm, how many people, or what type of people. They have made it from Philly, we know that- and I think most of the I made assumptions would be safe ones knowing what we know about their world.

Maybe the show just isn't for me anymore, season 1 was incredible and then the first half of season 2 was a complete bust in my book, and I was really hoping the 2nd half would be better now that Sophia is done, but it just wasn't there...
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #711
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
There is no way Lori dies as a result of this and I doubt that the crash "boots" the pregnancy. The later is more likely than the former, but not too likely. Though it would be a way to avoid having to pretend crazy-thin Lori is pregnant.

Actually I feel there is a good 50/50 chance Lori dies from this.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #712
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
Maybe the show just isn't for me anymore, season 1 was incredible and then the first half of season 2 was a complete bust in my book, and I was really hoping the 2nd half would be better now that Sophia is done, but it just wasn't there...

You're certainly not alone in that feeling. A lot of folks feel the same way. Luckily, I'm not one of them.

The show isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I still really enjoy it and look forward to it each and every week. Along with "Game of Thrones" it's the only show I watch "live" (a 20 minute delay to get past commercials).
Old 02-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #713
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Watched the episode last night. It is moving along more quickly now (could it have gotten any slower?).

High points:
Glenn and Maggie-the relationship is really much better than the comics
Dale-great acting and a good confrontation with Shane
Last scene-it started very slowly (from when Glenn and Rick went into bar) and ran full tilt in the end

Low points:
Lori going to Darryl asking for help (why?)
Lori going off in a car and then wrecking
Using gasoline to burn dead bodies

Overall, it was a great episode and the high points really outweighed the low points.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #714
sabotai
General Manager

Just rewatched last week's episode.

The only problem (not really a problem, more of a question) I have with the bar scene was, why did they seem so intent on going to their farm? There has to be hundred or thousands of empty farms in the country side for them to settle into. I suppose they could be scavengers, instead of learning to forage and find supplies on their own, they kill and take from other people, and would have no idea what to do with themselves on a farm. There were a few hints dropped that that could be the case, but it's all just conjecture. Perhaps the rest of their group will be seen and the motivation and nature of those two characters will be revealed in more detail.

And yeah, what RA said above. Using gasoline to burn the dead bodies? Unless they know of a few areas with virtually unlimited supply, why waste the fuel?

And LOL, women drivers, AMIRITE!?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #715
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

EC-Dub EC-Dub EC-Dub
Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #716
Grover
Pro Starter

What a shame it is for Lori to have survived that.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #717
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My son's reaction indicates he thought that was one of the funniest reveals in TV history.

He's still laughing.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #718
Grover
Pro Starter

Holy shit, is Lori making herself useful?

Plant the seed!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #719
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So glad I TiVo'd and Fast forwarded through the bazillion commercials.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #720
stevew
Hall Of Famer

As if a hubcap on a shitty ford contour type car would have any substantial strength in order to phase a zombie. That was lazy writing, those things have virtually no mass.

Edit---listened to the volume and it was a loud clang.

Last edited by stevew : 02-19-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #721
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
As if a hubcap on a shitty ford contour type car would have any substantial strength in order to phase a zombie. That was lazy writing, those things have virtually no mass.

Edit---listened to the volume and it was a loud clang.

I am always surprised at the minutiae people who watch this show seem to revel in picking on. I am not sure if I've ever seen such a level of overall bitching about tiny stuff. Even "Lost" didn't seem to get to this level of nit-picking.

That scene in the bar and outside of it was crazy intense. In fact, my wife and I were so wound up by the scene with the dude's leg in the fence and the walkers closing in that our dog started to freak out and sulk out of the room. (Note: My dog gets pretty nervous very quickly. He's a sensitive creature.)
Old 02-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #722
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
So glad I TiVo'd and Fast forwarded through the bazillion commercials.

Granted, I always watch the show on my DVR - with a 20 minute delay to avoid commercials - so I don't really notice... Are there more commercials on "Walking Dead" as compared to your typical hour long drama on AMC or other networks?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:26 AM   #723
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am always surprised at the minutiae people who watch this show seem to revel in picking on. I am not sure if I've ever seen such a level of overall bitching about tiny stuff. Even "Lost" didn't seem to get to this level of nit-picking.

That scene in the bar and outside of it was crazy intense. In fact, my wife and I were so wound up by the scene with the dude's leg in the fence and the walkers closing in that our dog started to freak out and sulk out of the room. (Note: My dog gets pretty nervous very quickly. He's a sensitive creature.)

I was standing up and pacing back and forth during the fence scene.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #724
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I know it's minutiae. However they may as well have had her hit the walker in the head with a unicorn antler if they were going to play off that car having a hubcap designed like a zildjian cymbal.

'twas a good episode anyways.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #725
Radii
Head Coach

The fence scene was possibly the best/most intense scene of the series so far for me I think. Without a doubt the best of the season. Really strong episode, even the character stuff was done really well (I often find it very hard to get into most of the character conflict)
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #726
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have enjoyed both of these past two episodes more than just about any other episode this season. Probably only the midseason finale better than either. It's about time stuff started to happen.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #727
Blackadar
Retired

Good episode. Enough zombie action to make everyone happy, lots of stuff going on and some fairly decent acting to boot. Maybe Frank Darabont was the problem?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #728
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I know it's minutiae. However they may as well have had her hit the walker in the head with a unicorn antler if they were going to play off that car having a hubcap designed like a zildjian cymbal.

I agree, they should have just conveniently had the crow bar fall out of the car there.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #729
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

David Morrissey Cast as The Governor in The Walking Dead Season 3 - The Walking Dead - AMC

Quote:
AMC announced today that David Morrissey has been cast in the role of The Governor in the network's critically acclaimed hit series The Walking Dead. The Governor, a character from Robert Kirkman's graphic novel, is the leader of Woodbury, a small settlement of survivors, and becomes the chief antagonist for Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and his group.

The Governor will appear in The Walking Dead Season 3, a 16-episode order from AMC, which begins production this spring in Atlanta.

A BAFTA Award nominee, Morrissey has appeared in many acclaimed British series including State of Play, Meadowlands, The Deal and Blackpool. Along with his celebrated work in television, Morrissey is also known for his leading roles in feature films such as The Reaping, The Other Boleyn Girl, Centurion, The Water Horse, Nowhere Boy and Blitz. He recently wrapped Welcome to the Punch opposite James McAvoy and Mark Strong. Morrissey is represented by The Collective and Troika in the UK.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #730
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

No clue who the actor is, but I am very curious to see just how fucked up they make that whole plot line. The stuff that goes down there is some of the wildest shit in the entire series.

Very interesting.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #731
Swaggs
Coordinator

With the pace of their current progress, I hope they don't rush to get to the Governor's storyline.

There are still some major characters we need to be introduced to and at least one completely awesome setting that needs to work itself out. Really hope they don't skimp on the prison stuff.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #732
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

Yeah, I'm caught up now & this scene did bother me. The hubcap was just the topper for me, though.

She broke the blinker handle off (first off...not sure thats possible...and even less so given Lori's frailty) and then stabbed it with enough force to go through the zombie's eye to his brain? WTF?! And I don't want to hear the obligatory "people get stronger when they are in fight/flight mode" nonsense...she isn't capable of doing that.

Having gotten that off my chest...this 2nd half of the season has been great so far. I can live with a little over the top stuff...but that scene was just comedy.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #733
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I'm a little surprised at some of the doubt regarding the other guys motives at the bar. I guess we live in such a safe society now. I think the bottom line is, they wanted to take their stuff and rape their women. Pretty basic concept that stands the test of time. There really are bad people out there.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #734
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I've come to the conclusion that the female stories in this show are nearly impossible to watch. They are boring and predictable. Just an absolute waste of screen time more often than not.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #735
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Does Lori ever get killed off in the graphic novel?
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #736
Grover
Pro Starter

No Dale or Glenn was pretty disappointing for an otherwise pretty good episode. The editing of going back and forth between the farm and DPW was a bit choppy. Especially from going to straight up action to hens clucking at each other.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #737
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Welp, Kevin Smith on the Talking Dead....should be a good way to use the FF button.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #738
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The headshot through the head of the other walker was pretty much a legendary type kill. All in all a pretty good episode when the bitches weren't talking.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #739
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
Does Lori ever get killed off in the graphic novel?

Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
No Dale or Glenn was pretty disappointing for an otherwise pretty good episode. The editing of going back and forth between the farm and DPW was a bit choppy. Especially from going to straight up action to hens clucking at each other.

I felt the editing was a bit choppy too. It's hard to cut from a scene that's so full of tension, immediacy and action to people talking, even if those people were arguing.

Everything with Rick, Shane and Randal was fantastic. It was nice to have them start to getting a bit smarter in terms of how to handle walkers - using knives when you can - and to have them talking about getting supplies again and sort forward thinking/planning type stuff. Some practical things as opposed to just always personal dramas. I don't mind the personal drama stuff all that much, but it does need to be balanced with the whole survival aspect of the show.

I liked the scene between Lori and Andrea. We really haven't had a scene between the two of them in a while and I liked Andrea's take on the situation. I also liked the suicide discussion. It was interesting and a bit different take on it all.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #740
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

was there some significance to the walker in the middle of that field?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #741
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
was there some significance to the walker in the middle of that field?

I think it was sort of symbolic of where Shane will be if he doesn't come back into the fold. Just sort of wandering aimlessly alone...

Also, those two shots were haunting and beautifully done. One of the best visuals since Rick rode into Atlanta.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #742
Jas_lov
College Starter

What does everyone think about those two guard walkers that Shane said didn't have any bites on them? Rick then went back later to take their guns and had another look at them so it has to mean something. I thought they said the guards may have turned to walkers from being exposed by scratches. Maybe Shane has been exposed from scratching himself in the bus and touching the walkers?

Last edited by Jas_lov : 02-28-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #743
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I doubt Shane has been exposed because then they'd have to come up with some sort of cure, because they aren't getting rid of him.

I think the guards are there to show that there's other ways to get infected besides getting bit or scratched (thankfully, none involve ingesting infected blood, because you know they all have done that 10x over by now)
Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #744
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
What does everyone think about those two guard walkers that Shane said didn't have any bites on them? Rick then went back later to take their guns and had another look at them so it has to mean something. I thought they said the guards may have turned to walkers from being exposed by scratches. Maybe Shane has been exposed from scratching himself in the bus and touching the walkers?

When Rick went back and took their guns and had another look at them, it wasn't because he was curious as to why they had become walkers. He looked at the two former cops, possibly partners, and that made him think about him and Shane. Two former cops. Two former partners. Those two guys never abandonded one another, even after they were infected. I think that image played a big role in Rick coming back for (his old partner) Shane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I think the guards are there to show that there's other ways to get infected besides getting bit or scratched (thankfully, none involve ingesting infected blood, because you know they all have done that 10x over by now)

I agree. I think the original discussion about the cops not having been bit, was to show that the infection can spread from scratches as well as bites.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #745
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I've come to the conclusion that the female stories in this show are nearly impossible to watch. They are boring and predictable. Just an absolute waste of screen time more often than not.

*nods* Every time Andrea talks, I just really wish Dale would have let her blow herself up.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #746
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
When Rick went back and took their guns and had another look at them, it wasn't because he was curious as to why they had become walkers. He looked at the two former cops, possibly partners, and that made him think about him and Shane. Two former cops. Two former partners. Those two guys never abandonded one another, even after they were infected. I think that image played a big role in Rick coming back for (his old partner) Shane.

I agree. I think the original discussion about the cops not having been bit, was to show that the infection can spread from scratches as well as bites.

I realize there are people in this thread that haven't read the books, but don't be so sure that Shane won't die and that they were trying to show that scratches cane spread the infection. There are other possible options.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #747
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I realize there are people in this thread that haven't read the books, but don't be so sure that Shane won't die and that they were trying to show that scratches cane spread the infection. There are other possible options.

Hrmm... I am not sure if anything I said indicated that I didn't think that Shane won't die. I actually think he's not too much longer for this world. I also do believe that they were trying to show that scratches spread the infection. I think they established the scratches part the first time they looked at the corpses.

The second shot of the cop corpses when Rick was getting the guns and about to leave Shane was almost definitely supposed to remind Rick of him and Shane as cops and partners, side-by-side. It was the trigger for Rick deciding to go back for Shane instead of leaving him in the bus.

In the comics, I believe that they established that anyone who dies, regardles of how they died, will become a zombie. I am not sure how they would reconcile that with all of the dead bodies they found in the cars in that pile up on the highway. It didn't look like some of them had any head wounds that would indicate that they were killed zombies. The best example being that dead guy in the car where Carl found that bag o' knvies.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 02-29-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #748
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Hrmm... I am not sure if anything I said indicated that I didn't think that Shane won't die. I actually think he's not too much longer for this world. I also do believe that they were trying to show that scratches spread the infection. I think they established the scratches part the first time they looked at the corpses.

The second shot of the cop corpses when Rick was getting the guns and about to leave Shane was almost definitely supposed to remind Rick of him and Shane as cops and partners, side-by-side. It was the trigger for Rick deciding to go back for Shane instead of leaving him in the bus.

In the comics, I believe that they established that anyone who dies, regardles of how they died, will become a zombie. I am not sure how they would reconcile that with all of the dead bodies they found in the cars in that pile up on the highway. It didn't look like some of them had any head wounds that would indicate that they were killed zombies. The best example being that dead guy in the car where Carl found that bag o' knvies.
I should have done a multi post reply, the Shane part was for the person before you that said Shane can't die...
Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #749
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

I really feel they specifically pointed out that there were no bites as foreshadowing to the discovery that they are already infected. Of course I could be wrong, the show doesn't follow the book exactly.

Even if people are already infected, it could be that not everyone one is infected, which could explain the people in the cars.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #750
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Even if people are already infected, it could be that not everyone one is infected, which could explain the people in the cars.

I think this could be right. We still don't know what that CDC guy whispered into Ricks' ear right before they left. Originally, I thought it might be that he found out Lori was pregnant during the blood tests. That doesn't seem to be the case, because we've already had that reveal.

Now, I think it might be just this. That they (most? all? some?) are already infected and that if they die in any way they will come back.