Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2023, 12:50 PM   #2451
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And no, my expectation and my comments about how little money is to be made from random ACC/Pac matchups aren't actually contradictory.
We've already seen that the Pac 12 has the most inept conference management possible. For what I think of the ACC's management, look no further than the monstrosity that is the conference baseball tournament format.
Old 08-04-2023, 12:57 PM   #2452
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So who's gonna edit TCY and BBCF to make the conferences work?
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 01:03 PM   #2453
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

i can't handle all this back and forth.

On a more positive note maybe I can see my Huskies play in Piscataway every few years....
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 01:17 PM   #2454
bob
College Starter

My daughter is in the middle of the recruiting process for a non-revenue sport. Seems like we will be dropping both Oregon St. and Washington St. from the list.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 01:20 PM   #2455
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 01:37 PM   #2456
Swaggs
Coordinator

Arizona has formally applied to the Big 12. I am sure they will get unanimous approval once the representatives convene. Apparently, Arizona State is still on the fence. Jason Scheer, who is UA's 247 guy and has been pretty neutral and reliable throughout the past year, says there is a "very real" chance that Arizona comes alone.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 02:15 PM   #2457
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I can't believe NIL has killed college football so quickly.
Old 08-04-2023, 02:30 PM   #2458
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
So who's gonna edit TCY

And I was having a good day
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 04:32 PM   #2459
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I can't believe NIL has killed college football so quickly.

Is this sarcasm?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 04:33 PM   #2460
RainMaker
General Manager

Big 10 spent so much effort protecting the Rose Bowl and then gutted the conference they are supposed to play in it.
Old 08-04-2023, 04:35 PM   #2461
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
ASU and Utah have officially asked to be admitted to the Big 12
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 04:38 PM   #2462
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I could update it every day and it would still be obsolete the next. But no interest in trying.

Pac-12 media deal: Commish presents Apple offer with no agreement reached by conference leaders - CBSSports.com

Quote:
The primary package proposed was streaming-centric through Apple; it includes incentivization in tears with a significant upside for Pac-12 teams if certain subscription numbers are met, sources told Dodd. ESPN, which first reported the Apple deal, further noted that "several options" were provided to league members with the Apple option being the best of the bunch.

I suppose the "tears" refers to the uncontrollable bawling from commissioner George Kliavkoff as he realizes he will have to "resign" from his job this weekend.

But all of this is stupid. I did think the Big Ten and SEC wanted to hold at 16, but the thought of the ACC gaining a foothold in the west or the Big-12 emerging as something somewhat powerful post-Texas and Oklahoma must have spooked them.

So the Big Ten votes tonight on Oregon and Washington. Arizona to the Big-12 is just about done, and Arizona State and Utah are likely to follow.

New questions: will Stanford and California have the opportunity to join what would then be the Big Tens? Does the Mountain West rebrand and absorb what's left? How much longer does football remain in the NCAA, and when that happens, how do non-revenue sports survive without reverting to regional conferences? Washington and Oregon reportedly want $10 million/year just for travel expenses.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 04:58 PM   #2463
RainMaker
General Manager

Stanford and California fit academically, but I just don't see what the value is for the Big 10. Those schools aren't bringing much to the table.
Old 08-04-2023, 05:17 PM   #2464
Ksyrup

The Oregon board chair playing through his round of golf while leading the session in which his school changes conferences is hilarious.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-04-2023, 05:49 PM   #2465
bob
College Starter

Am I wrong in suggesting the new B12 is just as much garbage as the ACC, except the ACC at least has Clemson and FSU?
Old 08-04-2023, 05:52 PM   #2466
bronconick
College Starter

Who would've thought one of the important things the guys working on the new upcoming NCAA football game would have to remember is making sure you can create your own conferences.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 05:53 PM   #2467
Ksyrup

Gotta feel for the "Pac 4" because their non-revenue sports are in trouble and their FB and BB are in serious trouble. They're likely going to have to learn how to deal with running an athletic department on about 80% less in TV revenue than they have now.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-04-2023 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2023, 08:20 PM   #2468
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Am I wrong in suggesting the new B12 is just as much garbage as the ACC, except the ACC at least has Clemson and FSU?

The average attendance numbers (before the Pac additions but with the G5 additions and minus OUT and the ACC with Clemson/FSU/Miami) is within like 700 and the TV contracts are close to one another. The good or bad is that the Big 12 has already lost their bell cows, while the ACC has theirs locked in until 2036. I’d assume the Big 12 newcomers (Houston and UCF in particular) will see an attendance jump, but unclear how much of a drop not playing OUT (and the PAC teams not playing UCLA and USC) will have.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 10:08 PM   #2469
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Definitely will be strong basketball conference.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 08:05 AM   #2470
bob
College Starter

Conference realignment can still be stopped if Mike Pence has the courage to do the right thing
Old 08-05-2023, 08:22 AM   #2471
Ksyrup

Well the next rumored move for the Big 12 is adding Gonzaga and another basketball-only school so they are probably thinking along the same lines.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:12 AM   #2472
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Conference realignment can still be stopped if Mike Pence has the courage to do the right thing

I'm glad I was drinking iced and not hot coffee when I read this post
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 04:40 PM   #2473
bob
College Starter

Pac-4: Conference of Champions
Old 08-07-2023, 03:50 PM   #2474
Atocep
Coordinator

The ACC adding Cal and Stanford would be the point someone needs to step in and break the whole thing up and tell them to start over.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 04:27 PM   #2475
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Since all oceans are connected, I guess every coast is the Atlantic coast, if you think of it a certain way.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 04:44 PM   #2476
rjolley
College Starter

ACC changes to the All Coasts Conference. Easy fix.

Not feeling all the realignment, though. I miss the regional conferences with the neighbor vs neighbor in conference hatred. It made the games feel like they meant something even if one or both of the teams weren't good.

And will someone put Notre Dame in the Big ten where they belong? Thank you.

Last edited by rjolley : 08-07-2023 at 04:45 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 06:21 PM   #2477
bob
College Starter

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the bowl system. Arguing about who the true national champion was was a feature not a bug. Trying to solve this so called bug lead CFB to its current state.
Old 08-11-2023, 06:57 AM   #2478
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As Jim and others have noted, big time college football (however defined) needs to just split off and become its own national thing.

And then let all the other sports be in sensible regional conferences where you can come in on Monday and talk smack to your co-worker because Tech beat State in baseball in extra innings last weekend.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:37 AM   #2479
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't see how that can ever happen. College football pays for a lot of those other sports in many places.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 08:23 AM   #2480
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't see how that can ever happen. College football pays for a lot of those other sports in many places.

All of a college's sports don't have to be in the same conference. They can set up a national structure for football and basketball, then have the non-revenue sports be in regionally aligned conferences like there used to be. All still under the same athletic department umbrella.
Old 08-11-2023, 11:09 AM   #2481
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
All of a college's sports don't have to be in the same conference. They can set up a national structure for football and basketball, then have the non-revenue sports be in regionally aligned conferences like there used to be. All still under the same athletic department umbrella.

Why would football and to a lesser extent basketball want to stay under the same athletic department umbrella? At some point and we may already be there, the football program and those associated with it are going to question why are we being forced into giving the money WE earned to these other sports by an athletic department we, the football program, also fund. IMO major college football programs are already separate from their universities and are just paying the colleges to use their logo and that payment funds the other sports programs. The football program is just another booster for those sports. Colleges should probably get prepared for that booster begins to fund something other than those non revenue sports.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 04:15 AM   #2482
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm gonna play FBCB just so I can figure out whether I want to kill off the Pac-4 and rebuild it in the most random ways possible.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 07:46 PM   #2483
bronconick
College Starter

This September it's Spectrum's turn for a pissing contest with Disney to start football season. Last year was Dish/Sling if I remember correctly.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:06 PM   #2484
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
This September it's Spectrum's turn for a pissing contest with Disney to start football season. Last year was Dish/Sling if I remember correctly.

And DirectTV/U-verse are in a dispute with about 160 Nexstar-owned stations, which wipes out Fox/CBS/NBC in numerous markets.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:06 PM   #2485
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Florida wasting a 4th down stop by having two players on the field wearing the same number during the ensuing punt ... and then giving up a touchdown is some peak Billy Napier shit.

The last guy this overmatched by his surroundings might have been Derek Dooley.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:13 PM   #2486
Ksyrup

I was thinking Willie Taggart... at least in the same area code.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:16 PM   #2487
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Simultaneously pissed and disappointed about this breakup of the PAC 12.

UW, Oregon, USC, Utah, UCLA, and even Oregon State are all really solid programs. Sucks a conference with 6-7 top 25 teams and a couple playoff contenders are broken up
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 08:29 PM   #2488
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jeff Sims ladies and gentlemen

LMFAO
Old 08-31-2023, 08:54 PM   #2489
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And DirectTV/U-verse are in a dispute with about 160 Nexstar-owned stations, which wipes out Fox/CBS/NBC in numerous markets.

Probably means passive-aggressive overlays on broadcasts here (Spectrum area), but at least with OTA you don't have the networks constantly rattling the tin can.

When I think of about four years now saving an average of $100 a month by not having cable or the bloated streaming packages - that's about $5k saved on entertainment. I'll keep that in mind when we're making vacation plans.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:38 AM   #2490
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sources - ACC votes to invite Stanford, Cal, SMU - ESPN

The most asinine conference move yet
Old 09-01-2023, 07:39 AM   #2491
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Jeff Sims ladies and gentlemen

LMFAO

And you posted this BEFORE his final drive!
Old 09-01-2023, 07:43 AM   #2492
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Certainly feels like rearranging deck chairs.

At some point, there will be an equilibrium (I'm guessing with some sort of football-only Division Super A or whatever, but I don't really know). And people are going to look back at this era and have no idea what the hell people were thinking.
Old 09-01-2023, 07:47 AM   #2493
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Just call it the All Coast Conference (plus SMU has a lake nearby)
Old 09-01-2023, 07:48 AM   #2494
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think we have no idea of that now.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:51 AM   #2495
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And you posted this BEFORE his final drive!

My favorite part was Gus Johnson excitedly saying at the end of the 3rd quarter that Nebraska played their best 3rd quarter in years... they scored A touchdown.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:04 AM   #2496
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Also, the Fox graphics gave me NCAA 98 menu vibes.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:23 AM   #2497
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Nebraska is BACK
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 08:53 AM   #2498
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah no ESPN and no Disney channels this morning are going to make a lot of Mom's and Dad's pissed off at Spectrum/Disney.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:02 AM   #2499
cartman
Death Herald

I guess the last dominoes to fall in the current shuffle are Oregon State and Washington State. I'm guessing they go to the Mountain West, but these days who knows.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:04 AM   #2500
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, the ACC formally sent invites to Cal, Stanford and SMU. Not shocked it happened, but this fact shocked me.

SMU gets no revenue from the ACC contract for NINE Years while Cal and Stanford start at 30% of the revenue.

SMU's Athletic Department must be in multiple billionaire's wills to go without TV revenue for just about a decade. Then again, SMU's current status probably doesn't have much TV revenue anyway.