Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2022, 01:26 PM   #101
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

everyone is probably getting charged for the new season (which isn't going to appen for the new season, so they're doing their annual refresh)
Old 03-07-2022, 01:45 PM   #102
RainMaker
General Manager

So they are really going to ban the shift?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:26 PM   #103
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Shift ban, pitch clock, and the larger bases have reportedly been agreed to for 2023.

All good changes
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:29 PM   #104
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Robo umps and firing Angel Hernandez would be a great lifeline to the fans.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:30 PM   #105
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Shift ban, pitch clock, and the larger bases have reportedly been agreed to for 2023.

All good changes

Sorry, I'd expect professional hitters to not hit it where all of the defensive guys are.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:31 PM   #106
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Idiotic move pandering to the inability for players to adjust.

A further dumbing down of a sport that seems hellbent to do as much stupid shit as possible.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:35 PM   #107
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

A further dumbing down of a sport that seems hellbent to do as much stupid shit as possible.

It's a common misconception right now that the shift an adjustment to launch angle, but it's 100% the opposite. The launch angle approach is hitters adjusting to the shift. MLB runs per game over the past 3 years is the highest it's been in 15 years. The argument is whether what we're seeing is healthy for the sport and actually fun to watch.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:37 PM   #108
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

I am all for the pitch clock and universal DH, but agree. Players have always adjusted to the game, this is just stupid and contributes more to the demise of well rounded players.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #109
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was dramatically confused by the bases now being twice as big. I was visually picturing twice as big as being 4X as big. The actual difference is a lot more area but does seem like any kind of a huge practical difference.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #110
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It blows my mind more guys don't drop a bunt down the 3rd base line against the shift. Some guys could probably leg out a double. Not saying do it all the time, but if you need a base runner it always amazes me, and yes I get the analytics, blah....

It's like in NBA when a guy drives to the rim and has an easy lay in and instead kicks it out for a three. I understand the reasoning, it just makes me nuts
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #111
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
contributes more to the demise of well rounded players.

Except it actually creates far more value for well rounded players. The shift lowers BABIP, which kills the incentive to hit singles or put the ball on the ground. You simply can't score enough runs right now relying on stringing 2-3 hits together. Banning the shift will raise BABIP, which in turn creates more value in singles. The larger bases also encourage base stealing. It's not going to take us back to the 80s Cardinals or anything, but these are changes that should create more options than putting in the air for doubles and homers.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #112
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

MLB is going to MLB. I also predict we'll have a super juiced ball to try and get back interest after owner's lockout.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #113
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

It also screws over teams that have been trying to adjust. I know for instance the Cubs have been drafting high contact, low strikeout guys the past few years.

There's also some debate as to how effective the shift really is. Having the 3B play so much further back seems to have a bigger impact on offense.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:53 PM   #114
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Except it actually creates far more value for well rounded players. The shift lowers BABIP, which kills the incentive to hit singles or put the ball on the ground. You simply can't score enough runs right now relying on stringing 2-3 hits together. Banning the shift will raise BABIP, which in turn creates more value in singles. The larger bases also encourage base stealing. It's not going to take us back to the 80s Cardinals or anything, but these are changes that should create more options than putting in the air for doubles and homers.

It does do that, but for players that don't want to adapt. Guess what, if I am coaching against a team that is playing a 3-3 with a nickel I am not going to try and throw deep every play. I am gonna pound them on the ground until they load the box. Opposite field singles are the same thing and easier to get when there are only 2 guys on that side of the field, why not just work more on fundamentals?

And you still aren't going to solve one of the things killing the game by banning the shift. Players won't shorten their swings, so it is still a HR/K-fest because of launch, velo, etc.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:55 PM   #115
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Why does the shift need to be banned? What's so harmful about it?

I'm not up on my baseball strategies.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:58 PM   #116
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What is the point of the bigger bases?
Old 03-07-2022, 04:00 PM   #117
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

According to BetMGM Joey Gallo is 80-1 to win MVP. No shift, that team, that park, and the potential for juiced balls. That is a VERY nice price.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:04 PM   #118
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Honestly, I don't care. NBA outlaws zone D and no one is up in arms about it.

The thing I have against the shift is just the optics and losing the feel of the game. When some dude slams a grounder straight up the middle, the only way that shouldn't be a single is if the pitcher gets to it or you have a Vizquel/Wizard of Oz play by the SS. Totally irrelevant to the calculus involved in whether to outlaw it, I know, but those types of hits have 100+ years of being what baseball looks like and i still cant get used to what used to be, no long being. It just doesn't feel like baseball.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-07-2022 at 04:05 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:04 PM   #119
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
What is the point of the bigger bases?

I believe injury prevention. I suppose they don't want to use the safety base so they don't look like little leaguers?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-07-2022, 04:10 PM   #120
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
It does do that, but for players that don't want to adapt. Guess what, if I am coaching against a team that is playing a 3-3 with a nickel I am not going to try and throw deep every play. I am gonna pound them on the ground until they load the box. Opposite field singles are the same thing and easier to get when there are only 2 guys on that side of the field, why not just work more on fundamentals?

And you still aren't going to solve one of the things killing the game by banning the shift. Players won't shorten their swings, so it is still a HR/K-fest because of launch, velo, etc.

The overlooked part of the shift is pitchers pitch to it. It's not just we expect you to pull the ball to the right side. It's you have a higher percentage chance of pulling the ball to the right side and we're going to increase those odds by pitching you that way. You aren't just going to be successful going oppo off of 95+ on the inner half or stay back enough on a breaking ball when you're waiting for 95+.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:11 PM   #121
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I believe injury prevention. I suppose they don't want to use the safety base so they don't look like little leaguers?

Injury prevention and increased base stealing are the goals.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:18 PM   #122
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
The overlooked part of the shift is pitchers pitch to it. It's not just we expect you to pull the ball to the right side. It's you have a higher percentage chance of pulling the ball to the right side and we're going to increase those odds by pitching you that way. You aren't just going to be successful going oppo off of 95+ on the inner half or stay back enough on a breaking ball when you're waiting for 95+.

I get that and good point, but I think you give pitchers too much credit for being able to paint that with the frequency they once did, as too many guys now are just throwers.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:08 PM   #123
RainMaker
General Manager

The thing with baseball is that teams do adjust over time. It can take awhile, but it happens. When the launch angle revolution started, pitchers adapted by throwing higher in the zone. And with the absurd strikeout rates, we're seeing organizations shift focus to more contact in the minors (which will take a few years to get up).
Old 03-07-2022, 09:13 PM   #124
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
According to BetMGM Joey Gallo is 80-1 to win MVP. No shift, that team, that park, and the potential for juiced balls. That is a VERY nice price.

I mean I totally back your rationale, but I swear I don’t think I saw him make contact the entire time he was in a Yankees uniform.

Thoughts on the Lakers at 65:1? (I know wrong thread)
Old 03-09-2022, 06:15 PM   #125
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I mean I totally back your rationale, but I swear I don’t think I saw him make contact the entire time he was in a Yankees uniform.

Thoughts on the Lakers at 65:1? (I know wrong thread)

I wouldn't touch the Lakers.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:15 PM   #126
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- Looks like 2 more series going to be cancelled.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:49 PM   #127
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It looked like there was a path to a deal, only MLB was like "surprise, let's negotiate International Draft, which we haven't talked this whole time!"

SI

Old 03-09-2022, 09:21 PM   #128
tarcone
Coordinator

The pod idea is a perfect compromise.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:16 AM   #129
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
The pod idea is a perfect compromise.

I think there are way too many details to work out an international draft in an 11th hour agreement. Considering this was seriously discussed in the negotiations until yesterday, when they were close to a deal and then added into every proposal from MLB (who then didn't look at MLBPA's counter proposal)- it's again, poisoning the negotiating well.

SI

Old 03-10-2022, 08:04 AM   #130
JPhillips
General Manager

If it's true that the owners don't start losing media money until more than 25 games are canceled, I expect they'll keep asking for things they don't think they'll get until they reach that point. Right now they are in their sweet spot of the players losing money while they don't.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:24 AM   #131
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's what I'm worried about, too. The owners have those RSN contracts that they have to start paying back at 15-25 games so they're content to miss up to that many. They don't care that the fans are going to miss 20 games because it's better for them financially. But they'll blame it on the players rather than, say, going back to 144 games voluntarily (WHICH THEY COULD TOTALLY DO).

For the next part of the negotiation, they're going to use back pay as a leverage point to get what they want, just like in 2020, and things are going to get a lot more contentious. "You didn't play for 162 so why should we pay you for 162?" "Because you didn't let us play 162" and that's going to really piss off the union. And they know that. And they're fine with that.

SI

Old 03-10-2022, 02:26 PM   #132
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Looks like there's a tentative agreement. Still awaiting some details.

SI

Old 03-10-2022, 03:01 PM   #133
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Free agency starts at 6pm after the owner's call to officially ratify. It is about to get busy.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:18 PM   #134
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

whew....
Old 03-10-2022, 04:41 PM   #135
Ksyrup

Good news. An entire off-season about to happen in like a week or so. Plus March Madness! I'm gonna OD. Or get killed by my wife.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:49 PM   #136
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Really hope the Mets bring in Bryant or Freeman, though the later is unlikely.

Last edited by Lathum : 03-10-2022 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:06 PM   #137
tarcone
Coordinator

Watching MLB tonight is going to fun. How many FAs sign and who gets them?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 05:14 PM   #138
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hope the Pirates throw a few nickels towards Cutch now that there is a universal DH.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:46 PM   #139
Ksyrup

April 7 opening day. A 3 game series added at the end of the year so regular season ends October 5.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:48 PM   #140
GrantDawg

I think the Dodgers have the best chance at Freeman. He will get to go home.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2022, 06:26 PM   #141
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Can't say that I'm a huge fan, but I'm glad that baseball is back. America needs baseball.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:25 PM   #142
Ksyrup

I've got MLB Network on and Bob Costas is on and ... does he have some sort of skin condition? From the neck line down he looks like he's completely and very badly sunburned.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-10-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:51 PM   #143
GrantDawg

Bob Costas died ten years ago. It is just that no one told him so he kept going to work.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2022, 06:55 AM   #144
Ksyrup

Just saw that Odalis Perez passed away at 44. Fell off a ladder and hit his head apparently.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-11-2022 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:28 AM   #145
Ksyrup

This is what I was referring to with Costas. As the tweet says - as I said to my wife last night - that's not an undershirt.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:48 AM   #146
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Where are all the free agent signings?
Old 03-11-2022, 10:24 AM   #147
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I thought we'd have a ton of wink, wink prearranged deals already done. But I guess owners and agents were waiting to see how the luxury tax numbers were going to play out.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-11-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 10:57 AM   #148
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I thought we'd have a ton of wink, wink prearranged deals already done. But I guess owners and agents were waiting to see how the luxury tax numbers were going to play out.

SI

I think you also really didn't want a wink-wink deal possibly upset the bargaining. You really don't want to be seen as the player/agent/owner/GM who was the reason that the CBA didn't go through somehow.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 10:13 AM   #149
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In a detailed column about the CBA, Stark adds some details about the schedule changes that will begin in 2023. While it had been previously reported that teams would play all 29 of the other squads in the league each year, with the number of divisional games being reduced, the details were not known at the time. Stark lays out the format that will begin next year, with each team playing its divisional rivals 14 times per season, down from 19, for a total of 56. Teams in the same league but not the same division will be played six times each, a total of 60. When it comes to interleague play, each team has a “rival” that they will play four times, with three games against the other 14 teams in the opposite league. That amounts to 46 total interleague games. All of those categories are evenly split between road and home, except for the final one. In the case of the 14 non-rival teams that are in the opposite league, the home team for the three-game series will alternate from year to year.

Ok-about time for this. Knowing that and AL team is coming every other year is awesome.
Old 03-12-2022, 02:40 PM   #150
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Kikuchi to the Blue Jays. Bummer, he was rumored to the Mets.