Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-02-2006, 10:39 AM   #1101
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Ooo, missed that. What was said?

During the post-game interview he said something to the effect that the Sabres were a great team, but their effort was overshadowed by Ruff's verbal sparring in the media.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #1102
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's possible the lay off will take some steam out of the Oilers' sails, but I think they should be able to pick it back up. Maybe not in game 1, but definitely in game 2.

A quick position-by-position analysis gives the nod to Edmonton.

I'll take one Dwayne Roloson over the two-headed monster that has become Gerber-Ward. While it's worked with surprising success, I just do not trust a rotating goalie system at all. Like Legace, Toskala, and Bryzgalov before them, they are ripe for a meltdown.

Once again along the blue-line Carolina doesn't have anyone close to the likes of Pronger and Smith. Ward, Commodore, Hedican, and the rest are just not something to fear. They can play a solid game, but they don't have that shut-down capability that the Oilers have. In a playoff series I'll always take the team with the better goalie situation and blue-line.

I guess I would give Carolina the edge in forwards, but again it's slight. While they don't have Staal, they do have a group of guys who have been playing very well and getting the job done when it counts. Pronger and Smith should be able to nullify the Staal line. Carolina has some decent forwards after that, but nobody who really gives you much concern. Their forwards aren't overly big or physical. Recchi, Whitney, LaRose, Stillman, Cullen, Williams, etc. Staios, Smith, and Pronger should be able to lay the hurt on them.

Edmonton in 5-6.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:04 AM   #1103
RendeR
Coordinator

Lindy did what the coach is supposed to do, he took the pressure and attention off his club and onto himself. The team was able to play relaxed and focused instead of getting flustered by the media. It also seemed to ruffle the feathers of the whalers as the radio replays of their local radio interviews showed they had more than a little to say about buffalo in general. Wasn't inpressed with brinda-dorks comments after the game either, rather sad in my opinion. You won, don't be a jackass afterwards.

As for the ridiculing of my analysis thus far I don't really care on the whole. I'm a sabres fan so my picks there were obviously that way. As for the WEAKER conference:

Detroit was your best squad, they lost because they were ancient and slow.
Dallas was #2 and the best bet for a western conference cup, they got tanked in the first round too, what does that say? Either the overall quality of the teams out west is far superior all around, the Stars just blew it, or the quality of play out west is far below average, those are the three options. Top to bottom the western conference this year was not at the same level as the east, so option 1 really doesn't hold water. I'll buy option 2 because any team can tank a series (detroit fans ought to be used to this).

Option 3 becomes a stronger bet when you look at the quality of play in the semis and conf finals, it was ATROCIOUS. mental errors, terrible passing, and (as opposed to some others opinions) I felt the level of physical play was VERY weak.

Honestly, compare the Whalers and the Oilers man for man, Carolina has more talent and FAR more experience. If Edmonton wins 2 games I think they should consider this a damn fine final.

Your mileage may vary.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #1104
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just so I can be on the record somewhere, I really think Carolina is a better team on paper but I expect Edmonton to win the Cup in 5 or 6 games.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:26 AM   #1105
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Detroit was your best squad, they lost because they were ancient and slow.
Dallas was #2 and the best bet for a western conference cup, they got tanked in the first round too, what does that say? Either the overall quality of the teams out west is far superior all around, the Stars just blew it, or the quality of play out west is far below average, those are the three options. Top to bottom the western conference this year was not at the same level as the east, so option 1 really doesn't hold water. I'll buy option 2 because any team can tank a series (detroit fans ought to be used to this).

how about Option 4: parity. there isn't a huge disparity level in the talent between the top and bottom playoff teams (east and west).

but I love how you make fun of Detroit there. yes, I'm sure the Detroit fans are used to tanking. I'm certain they are very envious of Buffalo's track record in the playoffs.

I tend to agree with HB - I think the goalie and blueline situation greatly favors Edmonton. But Carolina seems to be a GREAT locker room team, better than Edmonton (also pretty good in that category). Just seems like they have a ton of "good leaders", whatever that means. AND some really great beards. that has to count for something, right? still, I think the Oilers win, with Roloson being the difference.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #1106
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ooo, missed that. What was said?

Something the the effect of Buffalo being a great team and it was a great series it's just too bad their coach never shut up.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #1107
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I'll take one Dwayne Roloson over the two-headed monster that has become Gerber-Ward. While it's worked with surprising success, I just do not trust a rotating goalie system at all. Like Legace, Toskala, and Bryzgalov before them, they are ripe for a meltdown.

But if one has a meltdown, the other will step in and shut the door. If Roloson returns to earth (and Carolina can still score on a really good goalie as they showed against Miller), what does Edmonton do?

Carolina is starting to make a habit of riding goalie tandems to the Finals...
Old 06-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #1108
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Carolina is starting to make a habit of riding goalie tandems to the Finals...

doesn't bode well for Gerber and Ward, considering where Irbe and Weekes are today...
Old 06-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #1109
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
doesn't bode well for Gerber and Ward, considering where Irbe and Weekes are today...

Agreed. I think it's amazing Carolian has done as well as they have going with a goalie tandem. It's worked out incredibly well for them and, I agree, it's nice to have a capable back-up who has and can step in when needed. Who is Edmonton's back-up? Markenen? Conklin? Neither an option.

I just think that the goalie tandem thing is akin to playing Russian Roulette with your netminder. I'd much rather have the one rock back there than constantly trying to juggle two.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #1110
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I just think that the goalie tandem thing is akin to playing Russian Roulette with your netminder. I'd much rather have the one rock back there than constantly trying to juggle two.

I still can't quite get my brain around the fact that we are describing Roloson as a rock, or that he's the better goalie in ANY series. but, welcome to the new NHL I guess...
Old 06-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #1111
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Salon's King Kaufman continues to be one of the better sports wrtiers online...
http://www.salon.com/sports/col/kauf...day/print.html

Quote:
Nothing like an NHL Game 7. Nothing.

With a packed, hankie-waving crowd going wild at the RBC Center in Raleigh, N.C., the Carolina Hurricanes beat the undermanned Buffalo Sabres 4-2 Thursday night to take a classic seven-game conference final and reach the Stanley Cup Finals against the Edmonton Oilers.

Edmonton-Carolina is exactly the kind of all-small-market final that could never have happened if the NHL hadn't interrupted play for a year with a lockout that was necessary to get the league's financial house in order and restore competitive balance.

Just look at the last Stanley Cup Finals before the stoppage: Tampa Bay vs. Calgary.

Oh. Hmm. Wait a minute.

But hey! Let's talk about the Hurricanes, a Sun Belt team that never could have gotten this far in the old economic system. The 'Canes haven't been to the Finals since 2002.

OK, hang on.

What a game!
Old 06-02-2006, 03:13 PM   #1112
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

An interesting dynamic to this year's final is that Hurricanes and Oilers were arguably the two most aggressive teams at the trade deadline (well, if you expand "deadline" to include the Weight deal, which you probably can't, but still...)

Meanwhile, teams that took the wait-and-see approach (cough, Senators) flamed out early.

Could this lead to increased pressure on GMs to make mid-season deals next year?
Old 06-02-2006, 04:42 PM   #1113
Karim
College Starter

The Calgary Flames radio station has become "the Official Voice of the Carolina Hurricanes." Local sports media are urging people to cheer for the 'Canes. Most Flames fans are cheering for the 'Canes and can't understand how anyone that calls themselves a Flames fan could be cheering for the Oil.

Well, I've been a die-hard Flames fan since '86 but I'm cheering for the Oil. The reason is simply that I feel more affiliation to them than any other team besides the Flames. They similarly experienced the awful nineties, seeing the rich teams rob them of Messier, Cujo, Arnott, Weight, Guerin while we were robbed of MacInnis, Gilmour, Nieuwendyk and Fleury, etc. So it's easy for me to hate Toronto; Edmonton - not so much.

Go Oilers!
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:57 PM   #1114
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
how about Option 4: parity. there isn't a huge disparity level in the talent between the top and bottom playoff teams (east and west).

but I love how you make fun of Detroit there. yes, I'm sure the Detroit fans are used to tanking. I'm certain they are very envious of Buffalo's track record in the playoffs.

Parity might make sense if teh Eastern conference didn't blow the argument out of the water. 8 seeds, 4 quaterfinals, #1 through #4 advanced and advanced rather convincingly. Buffalo went 6 games with philly but even the games they lost were 1 goal games. The top 4 in the east were well above the bottom 4. So perhaps there IS parity in the west, that still doesn't argue that its at the same level as the east.

As for the remark about buffalo's playoff record, when was the last time the Sabres were the concensus "Best Team in Hockey" and lost in the first round? Yeah, didn't happen. Howver it DID happen to Detroit, more than once, so they and their fans can suck it up and take some abuse for it when they get bounced in the first round.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #1115
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Old 06-03-2006, 02:48 PM   #1116
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
As for the remark about buffalo's playoff record, when was the last time the Sabres were the concensus "Best Team in Hockey" and lost in the first round? Yeah, didn't happen. Howver it DID happen to Detroit, more than once, so they and their fans can suck it up and take some abuse for it when they get bounced in the first round.

Old 06-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #1117
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Parity might make sense if teh Eastern conference didn't blow the argument out of the water. 8 seeds, 4 quaterfinals, #1 through #4 advanced and advanced rather convincingly. Buffalo went 6 games with philly but even the games they lost were 1 goal games. The top 4 in the east were well above the bottom 4. So perhaps there IS parity in the west, that still doesn't argue that its at the same level as the east.

Heheh Brett Hull. LMAO.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #1118
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
As for the remark about buffalo's playoff record, when was the last time the Sabres were the concensus "Best Team in Hockey" and lost in the first round? Yeah, didn't happen.
Prior to this season, when was the last time the Sabres were a consensus "good team"? Yeah, didn't happen. OK, during the 1999 playoff run, but that's pretty much it. Detroit has been winning consistently for over a decade while Buffalo sat back, mostly missed the playoffs, and almost went bankrupt. And you're using that to trash talk the Wings? Really?
Old 06-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #1119
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

I wonder how much one of those rings is worth.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #1120
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai

to the Sabres? quite a bit
Old 06-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #1121
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

Be happy with 3 of possibly 5 or 6 you should have had. We'll get one someday.

As for the rest, y'all are barking up the wrong tree. You can't upset me with barbs about not having a ring, I was a Montreal Fan before I found Buffalo. I know how it feels to win it all.

I'm not sure how you guys think dissing Buffalo's record saves ANY face for a Detroit team that should have won 6 or 7 straight and managed only 3. Detroit RedWing fans have the same problem Yankee and notre Dame fans do, they don't seem to understand that their team is only 1 of many and not the best of them at that. You guys lost in round 1, why the hell are you even talking shit to anyone right now?

Seriously, get a grip =)
Old 06-03-2006, 05:37 PM   #1122
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You know, I gotta admit those look really cool. Sure, I could do without the ruby wing but the diamond Stanley Cup looks awesome

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:49 PM   #1123
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
As for the rest, y'all are barking up the wrong tree. You can't upset me with barbs about not having a ring, I was a Montreal Fan before I found Buffalo. I know how it feels to win it all.
Ah... a team-switcher. Why didn't you say so up front? It all makes a lot more sense now.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #1124
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai

Not much....with a Red wing on it.....too many going around.

Now finding one with a Maple Leaf on it....THAT would be worth something...since there are so few of them in the last 30 years

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #1125
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Ah... a team-switcher. Why didn't you say so up front? It all makes a lot more sense now.

What makes sense? I switched a decade ago, before Buffalo was really any good and before Montreal fell out of grace. You got nothin.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #1126
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
What makes sense? I switched a decade ago, before Buffalo was really any good and before Montreal fell out of grace. You got nothin.

Maybe he means the pessimism? That makes more sense to me now, anyway.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:16 AM   #1127
Travis
Pro Rookie

I think Render's arguement just shows the level of the league. Detroit has either won it all or had an early exit, yet they're still probably the closest the NHL has had to a dynasty in quite some time. Look at how the most recent Stanley Cup finalists did this year, and the fact that the final four teams this year all missed the playoffs the last time we had hockey. It's hard to be a great team year in and year out with the length of the season/injuries/surprise stars/etc/etc.

To rag on Detroit because they usually put out a great team that doesn't always win the Cup and gets upset (though when the Western Conference rep beats them out, that should say something about the situation) just underlines the point that any team can do it if they plan well consistently.

In my estimate, the Oilers grossly underachieved this season. Going into the final month or so, they were in the running to take their division and finish 3rd, would Render still then be making his claims that Carolina would win with ease had the Oilers done that? They were a team that played to the level of their competition all season, and it bit them in the ass for their season record, but now we've seen how good they can be and rise to the challenge when all they're facing is quality opponents. It's their biggest flaw as a team, but thus far they've overcome it and are just 4 wins away.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:27 AM   #1128
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Not much....with a Red wing on it.....too many going around.

Now finding one with a Maple Leaf on it....THAT would be worth something...since there are so few of them in the last 30 years

Did they make rings back when the Leafs could win the cup?
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #1129
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, now that I'm living in an apartment for the next month or so, I only get cable...cable without OLN. I had no clue the playoffs were on OLN straight through the finals. Man, this sucks. What's worse is that OLN is actually on this cable network, but it appears to be in a premium package that I can't add because this is a furnished apartment and I'm not actually paying the cable company directly. So not only am I stuck with no options and don't get to watch the finals, but I still get to scroll past OLN on channel 82 and see a black screen. This is teh suck.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #1130
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Well, now that I'm living in an apartment for the next month or so, I only get cable...cable without OLN. I had no clue the playoffs were on OLN straight through the finals. Man, this sucks. What's worse is that OLN is actually on this cable network, but it appears to be in a premium package that I can't add because this is a furnished apartment and I'm not actually paying the cable company directly. So not only am I stuck with no options and don't get to watch the finals, but I still get to scroll past OLN on channel 82 and see a black screen. This is teh suck.

Games 1 and 2 are on OLN, the rest of the games will be on NBC.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #1131
gstelmack
Pro Starter

DirecTV is kind enough to include OLN in their Total Choice Plus package, plus they've put all the HD playoff games on channel 95 for those of us with HD receivers.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:32 PM   #1132
Ksyrup

Yeah, I know. I used to have DirecTV. I'll have it again in about a month. Maybe even with HD. Doesn't do me much good now.

Glad to hear about NBC's coverage of at least a couple of the games, though. I assumed they would put it on a decent channel by this point, but who the hell knows what the NHL will continue to do to fuck themselves.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #1133
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Glad to hear about NBC's coverage of at least a couple of the games, though. I assumed they would put it on a decent channel by this point, but who the hell knows what the NHL will continue to do to fuck themselves.

No one else wanted the games. Ratings were a stinker, and that's why Fox and ESPN got out of their NHL deals. OLN ponied up the bucks when no one else would, so they got it. Of course, OLN was trying to use that as leverage to get broader carriage, but if you want that I'm not sure that NHL games are the stick you want to be wielding...
Old 06-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #1134
Ksyrup

I hadn't really followed any of that until the playoffs because I had the NHL package on DirecTV. So I had no problems until I moved. Oh well.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #1135
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
No one else wanted the games. Ratings were a stinker, and that's why Fox and ESPN got out of their NHL deals. OLN ponied up the bucks when no one else would, so they got it. Of course, OLN was trying to use that as leverage to get broader carriage, but if you want that I'm not sure that NHL games are the stick you want to be wielding...

I guess it's more like wielding a twig than an actual stick. That said, I think they have expanded their carriage thanks to carrying NHL games. I know I never knew such a channel existed before they got the NHL deal and I imagine the same goes for quite a few folks.

Still, it's a crappy deal and no surprise that it's not working. It wasn't until the playoffs that I finally memorized what channel OLN is and I never knew when regular season games were on. Also, other than their top gus (Emerick and JD?), their announcers suck.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #1136
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I guess it's more like wielding a twig than an actual stick. That said, I think they have expanded their carriage thanks to carrying NHL games. I know I never knew such a channel existed before they got the NHL deal and I imagine the same goes for quite a few folks.

What they were trying to do was get moved off "Sports Tier" type packages and into basic cable / sat packages. I can't remember if DirecTV changed their carriage with the NHL package, although I thought I remembered watching timber sports and some of the other outdoor sports stuff on it (shotgun shooting, dog birding, dog jumping-off-the-pier-into-watering, etc) and I've never had a sports pak.

But I know they had lots of fights early on with cable providers ("we will black out NHL games if you don't carry us on at least x% of your subscriber base" type arguments), and I don't remember any of the cable companies blinking. I could be wrong, I just don't remember any cable company caring enough.

The key was they wanted to use the NHL to get into enough households to go after the NFL, which I don't think worked out. But they may well have increased their viewership. There's more on this on other threads if you do some searching.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #1137
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quite the 3rd period here for the Canes.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #1138
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I hope this series goes 7. Too bad it is on OLN and not ESPN or another station where more people could see this series.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #1139
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16
I hope this series goes 7. Too bad it is on OLN and not ESPN or another station where more people could see this series.

only the first two games are on OLN, I think NBC has the final 5 if they need all of them.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #1140
kingfc22
Head Coach

SH goal gives the Canes a 4-3 lead.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #1141
RendeR
Coordinator

EDIT, not DOLA, damn you King : Wow, if Carolina pulls away in this game its gonna be the worst possible thing Edmonton could have happen to them. up 3 nil, only to get shelled hard in the third and lose? Ouchie.

Last edited by RendeR : 06-05-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:27 PM   #1142
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pretty good start to the series so far
Old 06-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #1143
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
only the first two games are on OLN, I think NBC has the final 5 if they need all of them.

What a comeback by the Canes!!!!

Good to hear that they will be on NBC. I could give two shits about the markets a final with any of the four final teams would have been great. If this is the future of the NHL, it looks great!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #1144
kingfc22
Head Coach

Holy crap, what a save by Ward!!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #1145
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

WHAT A SAVE!!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #1146
RendeR
Coordinator

Holy Shit....Ward just won the "Spine like a Slinky == Priceless" award for this game.....
Old 06-05-2006, 09:34 PM   #1147
RendeR
Coordinator

Yikes, they missed that high stick penalty....he took the tip of the blade right under the eye...
Old 06-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #1148
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Wait what was Staal in the box for?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #1149
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Heck of a game...

Do Hurricans fans know the rules, or do they just automatically boo whenever a call goes against them?
Old 06-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #1150
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Wow, Roloson's arm didn't look good on that replay...