Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2021, 07:55 PM   #7551
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Back to regularly scheduled non-political Coronavirus news.

Watched the task force briefing today. It was pretty boring but Fauci basically said there is evidence that teachers/schools are not that bad for infections. I personally find that hard to believe but found below article (other articles are similar).

In wife's county, school is back to in person. Some kids can ask for remote but majority are back. So I guess Fauci is somewhat reassuring.

(From The Atlantic)

The other thing Fauci said was while UK has good data about just 1 shot (get everyone 1 shot first before worrying about the 2nd shot), the US will still follow the science and press for 2 shots. The obvious question that wasn't asked is why doesn't US ask to look at UK data (or try replicate it in the US) and confirm that 1 shot first approach is good.

The task force is kinda bypassing this issue by saying "yes, do the 1 shot for everyone, don't worry about 2nd shot because supply is ramping up and you'll get it in time". It's the supply is ramping up and you'll get it in time that I personally don't feel confident in.

I had a long response eaten up by these links going all wonky and I didn't want this thread to end up like the Random Thoughts thread so I'll retry the Cliffs Notes version (ok, my Cliffs Notes so it's still long) and there are hxxp links so I don't have to retype this a third time in increasingly poorer quality

That was from this article in October:
hxxps://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/10/schools-arent-superspreaders/616669/

It's been superseded (sort of) but this one:
hxxps://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/01/just-open-schools-already/617849/
(Of course, they also have a story from this past week about how the point is moot because we're out of teachers due to COVID)

But that article:
1) Uses a couple of interview contract tracing studies (in the US it's abysmal, maybe better elsewhere - but still problematic, below)
1) Debunks 2 older studies - but that's not a positive, that's just negating a negative
3) Talks mechanistically about spreading being weaker in kids due to ACE receptors (now we're getting somewhere, but it's still unknown)
4) Falls back on "why doesn't someone think of the children" tropes about why school is important - we'll get to that at the end here

It's still stunning to me that we're pretending schools aren't major spreaders.

Schools are super spreaders for every other disease, to a greater or lesser degree. Even if COVID is, mechanistically, less likely to spread in kids, it's not 0. Those studies, again, have only shown small sample size or relied on inadequate contact tracing in the US. Notice how that study from October was from the US and now The Atlantic has an article about how we're out of teachers. We've seen that it's really hard to nail down where you were exposed to COVID unless you only do exactly 1 "risky" activity a week. But if you went into work for 5 days, got a haircut, went into the grocery store, and dined in a restaurant all in one week and got COVID, there's no way to tell where you got it in this country - it's just too endemic.

Are they less of spreaders than a similarly sized church? Probably, because, again, mechanistically, kids are /less/ spreadable. But, let's be honest, we shouldn't have churches open right now either except perhaps outdoors and in much smaller sizes.

And, finally, we get back around to the weighing school vs not school. There's never any good numbers as to how safe/unsafe schools are. It's just "they're not as bad as we thought" and then fall back on other reasons. And those reasons are real problems, real societal failings: suicide, meal programs, inequity, school funding, and losing education (though there's not a lot of concrete proof on that one and there's some the other direction that a new learning environment can be positive, though not across the board). But it's so hard to weigh them when the answers of "how safe is it" is "safe-ish" without anything else behind that.

And they line up 4 bulleted points to make schools "safe"-ish - things like making kids wear masks (which we can't even get adults to do) and talking quietly (hah) or increase vaccination (which has nothing to do with kids since they can't even get them) and better scientific information (which is so nebulous, never mind how many deaf ears good scientific information is falling on).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-03-2021 at 07:56 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #7552
Edward64
Head Coach

Don't disagree. I find it hard to understand Fauci/task force saying it was okay to open schools up even if not everyone has been vaccinated, not where there's a lot of infections etc. There has to be a nuance-or-something I'm missing.

But Psaki did seem to walk that back later in her briefing saying CDC would agree its not a formal recommendation yet.

I don't think they are fully coordinated here. No surprise but I expect they will have a definite official line soon.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-03-2021 at 08:22 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #7553
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Another victim of the covids:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep...67-sources-say
Old 02-10-2021, 05:47 AM   #7554
Edward64
Head Coach

Flu season is pretty mellow this year, likely due to the coronavirus restrictions. One good side effect of all these precautions most of us are taking.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/09/healt...ess/index.html
Quote:
But the numbers are compelling. This same week last year, the CDC reported widespread flu activity in nearly every US region, with "high" activity in 45 states. In an average year, hundreds of thousands of people are hospitalized with flu. So far this flu season, just 155 people confirmed to have influenza have ended up in the hospital.
:
"Right now, there is nowhere in the country that we are seeing a real uptick in flu. It is pretty much very, very low everywhere," Brammer said.

And 78 children had died of flu at this point last year. This year, just one pediatric flu death has been reported.

"Flu activity is unusually low at this time but may increase in the coming months," the CDC says on its website.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:44 AM   #7555
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I suspect there are probably some flu coded as COVID but it's not a substantial number. I always thought the whole "twindemic" idea was a stupid theory. The precautions that part of society was taking was going to stunt the growth of the non-dominant virus. And the the dominant virus was always going to be COVID, considering flu was non-existent this summer and fall but COVID was running wild.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-10-2021 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #7556
AlexB
Pro Starter

I had my first ever flu jab just yesterday - an article I read made sense in that with the massive drop in flu this season (95% here) it’s possible that there will be a greater susceptibility next winter as people will not have recent antibodies, plus it makes working out which flu variant will become dominant very difficult, further increasing risk if the vaccine is developed to counter a non-dominant version of the virus.

No-one knows what next winter will look like with Covid, and maybe anti-Covid measures will again keep a lid on flu, but for the sake of £13 I figured let’s get some base protection that may stand in good stead in the winter.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #7557
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Next year could, indeed, be interesting. But I have no idea what to expect of next year with COVID, much less anything else. Crystal ball is still too hazy.

SI

Old 02-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #7558
Edward64
Head Coach

I got my flu-shot back in October. I normally catch something even with the shot but like to think it lessens the severity.

My guess is we'll get Covid booster shots for the next couple years as it mutates.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:06 PM   #7559
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's my expectation as well

SI

Old 02-10-2021, 06:37 PM   #7560
BishopMVP
Coordinator

So my semi-random thought of the day... once everyone has had access to vaccines won't the easiest way to overcome the barriers of people being somewhat anti-Vaxx or just being somewhat lazy & go from 60-90% taking the vaccine be governments/major sports leagues(/including NCAA football) saying you can have full crowds as long as people can provide proof they got vaccinated?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:46 PM   #7561
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
So my semi-random thought of the day... once everyone has had access to vaccines won't the easiest way to overcome the barriers of people being somewhat anti-Vaxx or just being somewhat lazy & go from 60-90% taking the vaccine be governments/major sports leagues(/including NCAA football) saying you can have full crowds as long as people can provide proof they got vaccinated?

Sports leagues led the way in showcasing how massive this was by shutting down. If they require vaccines to enter, sure people will try to fake vaccine cards, but it will incentivize a lot people to get them.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:02 PM   #7562
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I could see the NBA doing this, maybe. But MLB? Who is desperate for every fan.. dollar than they can get and with no long term planning whatsoever?

SI

Old 02-10-2021, 07:19 PM   #7563
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I could see a lot of state governments requiring it if the leagues don't, though that probably doesn't help in SEC country.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:32 PM   #7564
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

NY state admitting that it was fudging the hell out of its numbers.

Very uncool.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:37 PM   #7565
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait for DeSantis or Kemp to use Cuomo as an example of the evil Democrats when they're doing the exact same thing but still lying about it

SI

Old 02-11-2021, 09:45 PM   #7566
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
NY state admitting that it was fudging the hell out of its numbers.

Very uncool.

What were they reporting incorrectly? Haven't found anything about it.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:31 AM   #7567
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
What were they reporting incorrectly? Haven't found anything about it.

Cuomo aide admits they hid nursing home data from feds
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:52 AM   #7568
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

The numbers were there in the excess death numbers with the CDC, just not the official COVID numbers.

Meanwhile, here in the Upstate of SC, the main hospital system up here is closing 4 vaccination sites to "consolidate and streamline." They're now sending 4 counties to 1 spot. The real reason is because they either haven't received or have received far fewer doses than ordered for the last week.

My wife runs a moderate sized physician practice and were told to get everything in order months ago to administer vaccines. Currently, they're still waiting on approval from the state and she said they don't expect to ever receive doses, nor do any other practices in the state. They basically spent 10k on equipment they'll never get to use.

Also, there's a large PPE shortage going on and is getting much worse.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #7569
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Was just able to sign up to get vaccinated through Rite aid next Thursday. Looks like I got lucky and signed up before all the spots filled
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:24 PM   #7570
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Thanks for the link. Wonder how many more stories like that are out there at all levels of government.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #7571
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Most all symptoms are now gone. What is lingering is still lack of smell and taste, and I get tired really easily. I've also now started experiencing "COVID fingers". The skin on the tips of my fingers is peeling off. It isn't painful, just strange.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #7572
rjolley
College Starter

Glad you're feeling better, cartman.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:42 PM   #7573
BishopMVP
Coordinator

San Francisco sues schools, cites high of suicidal students
Old 02-14-2021, 05:45 PM   #7574
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Most all symptoms are now gone. What is lingering is still lack of smell and taste, and I get tired really easily. I've also now started experiencing "COVID fingers". The skin on the tips of my fingers is peeling off. It isn't painful, just strange.

but do you have an anal probe?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:30 PM   #7575
molson
General Manager

A lot of good COVID news lately. I'm starting to feel pretty optimistic about our spring and summer travel plans.

54.6 million dosages given in the U.S. so far. 12% of the population has received at least one dose. Lots of deals in place for hundreds of millions more to be distributed in 2021. It's really looking like anyone who wants one will be able to get one by April or May.

We've gone from a 7-day average of new daily cases of 255k on January 11 to 87k as of yesterday. 65% drop in a little over a month. And the 7-day average of daily deaths went from 3,429 on 1/26 to 2,481 as of yesterday. 28% down in three weeks.

My state has had an even bigger drop, from a peak of 1,654 new cases a day per the 7-day average to 260 now.

Maybe there's some seasonal/reduced human mobility factors there, but I'm convinced there's a partial herd immunity dynamic where most of the people who haven't taken precautious have already gotten it and have some immunity by now, and millions of those who have taken precautions and remain vulnerable are being vaccinated every week. There's just not as much opportunity to spread.

I saw that Alaska has dropped it's requirement of a negative COVID test to enter the state. It's kind of a tricky requirement because even if you're willing to play ball, there was no guarantee you were going to get your result back in time for it to qualify within their parameters of when it had to be administered. This news came after it started looking like all of the cruise ship companies are probably going to skip another Alaska season. Which I think makes Alaska a premiere go-to destination for 2021 - we might get up there twice.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:45 AM   #7576
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I suspect it's a matter of trying to figure out what numbers to trust: where you need to start over from scratch and where you can work with what is there. It's going to take a little time to get some hands around it - like the 6 weeks you were talking about before, especially if a number of things have to be redone from scratch.
SI

4.5 weeks check-in.

Communications is definitely better and Biden definitely gets the credit. Also believe supply is doing better now. Supply was inevitably going to ramp up anyway though but I'll give him the "incremental" credit.

Not convinced the inoculations are going significantly better (or at least not yet). CDC says 73M doses and 58M with at least one jab.

Approx 1.5M to 2M jabs a day. Using 2M, that means 7 days of supply not distributed. Assuming supply is coming in on a regular basis now, is this 7 day lag good? Why haven't near or all been used already?

Biden claims this is a war and I agree with that. He has also supposedly mobilized military, retirees, leveraging stadiums etc. to help with inoculations etc. It may be happening but haven't seen much in MSM. And the inability to make appts even if you are in the current Phase indicates there is still a problem.

I want to see inoculation centers open 24x7 (okay, maybe 18x7). I want to see pics of long lines of cars/people getting inoculated in stadiums or field hospitals. I want to see 73M doses distributed with 68M inoculated ... and I still want media to be reporting on the week-to-week supply that Moderna, Pfizer etc. says will be planned for production (I know those damn reports exist somewhere).

Seems all of these are doable in a war time mindset. The sense of urgency is being reported by Psaki, Biden, Fauci etc. but I've not personally seen/read much results of this urgency in practice.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #7577
miami_fan
Coordinator

Outside of the politics, the one thing I keep coming back to is the timeline on when we move on to the next phase and the next group to be inoculated. from what I have seen, a third of whatever demographic you look at is either skeptical or refuse to get the vaccine. For example, Florida is still in Phase 1 of its plan. That phase include people over 65, healthcare workers and people deemed high risk. Using rough numbers, Florida has vaccinated about 43% of people in that group with at least the first shot. Now, there are still a large number of people in that group who are still waiting to get appointment. However, we are getting to a point those who are not vaccinated, are not vaccinated by choice rather than opportunity.

If I have a vaccine specifically ready for Random Person in Phase 1 and Random Person in Phase 1 does not want the vaccine, what happens to the vaccine? The rules say I can't give the vaccine to anyone else in any of the other phases, many places don't have waiting lists for the current phase and there is an expiration date on the vaccine. I think the reason some of the numbers are a bit stagnate (again outside of politics) is we seem to be waiting for everyone in Phase 1 to be vaccinated when we know that will not be the case at this point. I don't know when we need to move on to the next phase, but that time has to be coming sooner rather than later.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:13 AM   #7578
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I want to see inoculation centers open 24x7 (okay, maybe 18x7).

Ask and ye shall receive.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-19-2021, 07:59 PM   #7579
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Ask and ye shall receive.

Thanks. Wonder if that is one of the exceptions vs rule? Not happening in GA that I know of but admittedly MSM is easily distracted.

I wonder if indoor stadiums are the way to go. Folks can sit spaced apart. Basic facilities are available etc. It may disadvantage those without means to get to the stadium but it would relieve the other centers that they would go to.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:09 PM   #7580
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
If I have a vaccine specifically ready for Random Person in Phase 1 and Random Person in Phase 1 does not want the vaccine, what happens to the vaccine? The rules say I can't give the vaccine to anyone else in any of the other phases, many places don't have waiting lists for the current phase and there is an expiration date on the vaccine.

GA had an example of this where a county went "rogue" and gave leftovers to non-current Phase in that county. In that case, that county should have given the not-wanted shots to other counties or back to the overall-bank.

Quote:
I think the reason some of the numbers are a bit stagnate (again outside of politics) is we seem to be waiting for everyone in Phase 1 to be vaccinated when we know that will not be the case at this point. I don't know when we need to move on to the next phase, but that time has to be coming sooner rather than later.

I think it's relatively easy to tell when to move to next phase by state

1) Est no. of people in current Phase
2) Track # of shots given
3) Est no. of weeks/days
4) Once # of shots is within 85-90% or close of #3 go ahead an move to next Phase

I get (1) can't be entirely accurate but approx counts can be found by pulling from different sources.

This information should made available so everyone knows how things are progressing and can guestimate. Easy enough to create a dashboard tracking this or similar metrics.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-19-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:22 PM   #7581
Edward64
Head Coach

Well I guess this is good news.

Pfizer: COVID vaccine doesn't need to be stored at freezing temps anymore
Quote:
The Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine no longer needs to be kept at ultra-freezing temperatures and can be safely stored inside normal medical freezers — making distribution easier, the firm said in a report Friday.

The makers of the shots, including the German biotechnology firm BioNTech, have discovered the doses can remain at between 5 and -13 degrees Fahrenheit without spoiling — instead of -94 degrees like previously thought, according to the Financial Times.

The ability to store the life-saving jabs at higher temperatures gives vaccine distribution centers “greater flexibility” and makes them “easier to transport and use” in rural or hard-to-reach areas, BioNTech’s CEO Ugur Sahin said.

The new vaccine “stability data” revealed by the companies have now been submitted to U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the paper reported.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:32 PM   #7582
Edward64
Head Coach

Now this is a great plan. It is perfectly understandable that Biden does not "give/donate" US shots to other countries while we still need them, but giving money to other countries to buy shots is the right thing to do.

$4B is nice but should be more IMO. And he should be asking other western and rich-oil countries to chip in.

[url="https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/19/covid-19-live-updates.html"]
Quote:
President Joe Biden is expected to announce that the U.S. will spend $4 billion on international Covid vaccination efforts during his first virtual meeting as president with G-7 leaders. The administration has said the pledge will have no impact on the U.S. domestic vaccination program.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-19-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:55 PM   #7583
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks. Wonder if that is one of the exceptions vs rule? Not happening in GA that I know of but admittedly MSM is easily distracted.

I wonder if indoor stadiums are the way to go. Folks can sit spaced apart. Basic facilities are available etc. It may disadvantage those without means to get to the stadium but it would relieve the other centers that they would go to.

That is a first come first serve operation. I can't say I have seen those in FL. Everything locally has been based on appointments only.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:34 PM   #7584
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
GA had an example of this where a county went "rogue" and gave leftovers to non-current Phase in that county. In that case, that county should have given the not-wanted shots to other counties or back to the overall-bank.

I think it's relatively easy to tell when to move to next phase by state

1) Est no. of people in current Phase
2) Track # of shots given
3) Est no. of weeks/days
4) Once # of shots is within 85-90% or close of #3 go ahead an move to next Phase

I get (1) can't be entirely accurate but approx counts can be found by pulling from different sources.

This information should made available so everyone knows how things are progressing and can guestimate. Easy enough to create a dashboard tracking this or similar metrics.

The relative ease of moving all depends on the state. I just think people would like to know that their turn is coming soon. It would be unfair for me to cast all of the other states in a bad light given the BS we are dealing with here. I would look more toward 60-70% of a population of a phase being completely vaccinated (both shots) before going to the next phase for the reasons I explained before.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:11 PM   #7585
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
The relative ease of moving all depends on the state. I just think people would like to know that their turn is coming soon. It would be unfair for me to cast all of the other states in a bad light given the BS we are dealing with here. I would look more toward 60-70% of a population of a phase being completely vaccinated (both shots) before going to the next phase for the reasons I explained before.

I respectfully disagree. If it was either or, I'd get more first shots out to most everyone before worrying about second shots.

I know Fauci doesn't support the science as its not been done in the US but UK scientists are good enough for me.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:17 PM   #7586
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Now this is a great plan. It is perfectly understandable that Biden does not "give/donate" US shots to other countries while we still need them, but giving money to other countries to buy shots is the right thing to do.

$4B is nice but should be more IMO. And he should be asking other western and rich-oil countries to chip in.

[url="https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/19/covid-19-live-updates.html"]

Good. We're already 27 trillion dollars in the hole. What's another 4 billion?
Old 02-19-2021, 10:30 PM   #7587
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Good. We're already 27 trillion dollars in the hole. What's another 4 billion?

I was thinking maybe $40B. Call it interest free 20-year loan.

A drop in the bucket vs paying off $50K each of student loans.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:58 PM   #7588
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

China's perfectly content to buy up international favors on the cheap doing this:

China’s 'vaccine diplomacy'Â*fills void in developing world

SI

Old 02-21-2021, 09:52 AM   #7589
whomario
Pro Starter

Israeli data suggests a 90% decrease in Infection for BionTech/Pfizer. Considering Moderna has looked similar in pretty much all benchmarks i vote the big countries pay both of them whatever the fuck they want to sweeten the deal for them to grant licenses to other manufacturers and pay those whatever the hell they need to get up and running asap and then blanket less developed countries with the cooling facilities needed to get it done as well. (especially since Biontech also now figures that it can be stored up to 2 weeks at -15 degrees celcius, so basically a good medical fridge rather than specialised freezers).
There's a window now to at least reduce this sucker to a sort of negligible oddity now and do it globally, before more variants emerge and you have to globally reset things to a degree.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 02-21-2021 at 10:01 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:32 AM   #7590
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
There's a window now to at least reduce this sucker to a sort of negligible oddity now and do it globally, before more variants emerge and you have to globally reset things to a degree.
That makes a lot of sense.
This started out as the "Wuhan" virus, but the past weeks the talk over here was about the severity of the spread of the "British variant", "Brazilian variant" and "South African variant". We can't all emigrate to Australia and New Zealand and perceive to be safe there.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:37 PM   #7591
Edward64
Head Coach

Fauci, honestly once everyone in the US gets the 2 shots (let's say by Sep), I may continue wearing masks for a couple more months ... but I'm not planning on wearing a mask after. Maybe on a plane, travel to another country not yet done with inoculations, or enclosed stadium but that's about it.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:19 PM   #7592
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fauci, honestly once everyone in the US gets the 2 shots (let's say by Sep), I may continue wearing masks for a couple more months ... but I'm not planning on wearing a mask after. Maybe on a plane, travel to another country not yet done with inoculations, or enclosed stadium but that's about it.

I think the reason that they are saying you should wear a mask afterwards is because there isn't enough research whether vaccinated people can pass on the virus to others. And until there is a herd immunity they want to keep those who haven't yet been vaccinated as safe as possible. And he's not convinced it will happen by September.

As he said: "If you combine getting most of the people in the country vaccinated with getting the level of virus in the community very, very low, then I believe you’re going to be able to say, for the most part, we don’t necessarily have to wear masks"

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-21-2021 at 02:21 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:30 PM   #7593
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It won't happen, but I'd love to see people take responsibility and wear a mask when they feel cold or flu symptoms. That could make a real difference in respiratory disease transmission.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:43 PM   #7594
Edward64
Head Coach

Haven't seen this reported elsewhere so hope this is true.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...a3c7b5eda0faba
Quote:
Since their approval in December, more than 75 million doses of the two-shot-regimen Moderna MRNA, +3.05% and Pfizer vaccines have been distributed, of which 63 million have been injected, reaching 13% of Americans. Nearly 45 million of those doses have been administered since Biden’s inauguration on Jan. 20.

The pace of deliveries of those vaccines is about to take off. About 145 million doses are set for delivery in the next 5 1/2 weeks, with an additional 200 million expected by the end of May and a further 200 million by the end of July.

That’s before the anticipated approval by the Food and Drug Administration for emergency use of a third vaccine, from Johnson & Johnson JNJ, -1.67%. The single-dose J&J vaccine is expected to help speed the path to immunity and requires half the vaccination resources of the two-shot regimens. But there is no massive stockpile of J&J doses ready to roll out on Day One.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:40 PM   #7595
RainMaker
General Manager

I've seen some people say we'll hit herd immunity by the end of April. Maybe that's optimistic but with all these doses coming, it seems like numbers will be drastically down soon.

My guess is mask mandates drop when the virus levels have lowered enough. Maybe I'm too hopeful but I believe by the end of Summer life will be somewhat back to normal.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:40 AM   #7596
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think the reason that they are saying you should wear a mask afterwards is because there isn't enough research whether vaccinated people can pass on the virus to others. And until there is a herd immunity they want to keep those who haven't yet been vaccinated as safe as possible. And he's not convinced it will happen by September.

As he said: "If you combine getting most of the people in the country vaccinated with getting the level of virus in the community very, very low, then I believe you’re going to be able to say, for the most part, we don’t necessarily have to wear masks"

Also, there are plenty other viruses that the same mask stops spreading. Quite honestly i can't see myself not wearing one on, say, public transport in the future. One of them things you never consider, but now that i am aware i can't just go back to acting like an inconsiderate doofus.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #7597
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Barring bad weather or a Covid issue, I'll be traveling this weekend to see Caitlin's opening weekend of college softball. First time I will have left the state or slept in a bed other than my own for almost exactly a year. I almost forgot what it was like to prepare for a trip.

On a related note, I rescheduled 2 of our 3 vacations from last year (we canceled the Alaska cruise and put the money toward a covered deck addition to the house). Next real vacation will be in August, 2 years and 1 week since our last vacation. Unless you count sitting in your own house for about 50 weekends a year a vacation...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:33 PM   #7598
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

I'm confused though why it is ok for vaccinated people to not quarantine if exposed. Wouldn't that be how you get it to then pass it without wearing your mask?

Those things seem to be in conflict.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:50 PM   #7599
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But you do have to still wear your mask. Basically the vaccine quarantine procedures are the same as quarantine procedures for someone who has already gotten Covid 19.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2021, 05:50 AM   #7600
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW I do get a flu-shot every year but I do come down with something every year. Pretty sure the flu-shot helps (e.g. reduces duration, severity etc.).

This past year, got my flu-shot and have had a couple episodes of dry cough etc. but nothing with mucus. Just one data point to add to the reduced flu season but do think the extra diligence of masks, hand washing, limiting outside exposure and working from home etc. has helped.

But all-in-all, would trade the inconvenience of a flu for the freedom to run out and do things, and be carefree.