Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #451
Easy Mac

Too pricey for the plan I'm on, but I like the idea. If they ever get down to $1 a GB, I might bite.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #452
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Uh... don't hold your breath?

$10 a GB, with only $20 for the unlimited talk and text, is a fantastic price, FWIW... I mean unless you have unlimited data and use like 10 GBs a month .
Old 09-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #453
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kinda think its expensive when I can go to cricket and get 5mb on ATT for $45 or 10gb for $55. And you can get 5GB for $45 on straight talk for Verizon(or ATT) if you have a compatible phone.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #454
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I have no experience but it seems appealing.

Why I'll Probably Ditch My Carrier For Google's Project Fi

I, like that writer, hardly ever make phone calls so not being too worried about expensive data overages would be nice. I guess it boils down to how is T-Mobile/Sprint in your area? Not sure how accurate their coverage map is but this may be handy.

Project Fi
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:05 PM   #455
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Uh... don't hold your breath?

$10 a GB, with only $20 for the unlimited talk and text, is a fantastic price, FWIW... I mean unless you have unlimited data and use like 10 GBs a month .

I have unlimited and use about 40 GB .

If Verizon ever takes it away from me, then Google (or T-Mobile) will get my money.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #456
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

40 GB?!!!

You are totally going to be reason why I'll have to give up my unlimited plan in a few years, aren't you?
Old 09-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #457
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At least he's not one of those dudes hitting up T-Mobile for 800GB via illegal tethering software
Old 09-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #458
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
40 GB?!!!

You are totally going to be reason why I'll have to give up my unlimited plan in a few years, aren't you?

If he is the "reason" then it's a complete bullshit reason by the carriers. As of a year ago users who used over 4.7 GB were the top 5% of users on Verizon. I imagine 40GB is easily top 1%. The only reason they would get rid of your unlimited is because they can make more money off of you on a tiered plan while you use less data. Verizon, a company who has increasing revenue in the tens of billions. You won't hear me blaming the users for "clogging" the network. Use your god damn billions to improve the network if the whole "clogging" isn't an artificial reason in the first place.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #459
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hear Tmo has gotten a ton better. Can anyone confirm
Old 09-30-2015, 10:07 PM   #460
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I've had Tmobile for years so I may not be the best guy to ask. But it's a no brainer for me with some of their prices.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 PM   #461
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I hear Tmo has gotten a ton better. Can anyone confirm

Like a lot of things, depends on where you live. Here? It's no different then Verizon or ATT from what I understand. Hour and a half north at my mom's? No service.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #462
RainMaker
General Manager

I've had Verizon for years and just afraid to switch. Get great reception everywhere in the city and the suburbs. I had AT&T when the iPhone launched and it was a disaster. But T-Mobile has been drawing my interest of late.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:31 AM   #463
rjolley
College Starter

I've had Sprint for the last 15 years or so in Kansas, western Texas, Atlanta, and now here. No coverage problems, usually good data speeds, and no real problems. I've used their WiFi hotspot plans, either on my phone or a separate device for work and it's always done a good job for a good price. Loved their unlimited hotspot plans, but eventually had to get rid of that plan.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:46 AM   #464
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Like a lot of things, depends on where you live. Here? It's no different then Verizon or ATT from what I understand. Hour and a half north at my mom's? No service.

From what I heard they significantly have patched the holes in their service. Of course I'm sure it's obviously YMMV
Old 10-01-2015, 06:42 AM   #465
Butter
Coordinator

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile early 2014. T-Mobile has improved slightly but their coverage is still noticeably worse.

We drive from Dayton to Greenville, SC quite a bit, and there are hours that go by in places with no coverage, in rural KY, TN, and NC. And that's on the interstate.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #466
Logan
Head Coach

Anyone know a way to further investigate data usage, specifically with Verizon? I know through My Verizon you can get broad categories of usage, or even how much data you used at a specific time, but I'm looking for more info than that.

Here's my situation...I never go over my data limits. On Sunday, I got a text that I was at 75% of my 3 GB at a little over halfway through my billing cycle. I thought maybe my wifi was down at some point and I didn't realize it, and a lot of my browsing/podcast downloading went over 4G. Figured I could handle it.

This afternoon I got a text that I was at 90%, so I used roughly 450 MB of data since Sunday. Again, seemed very high. Literally a minute later another text that I went over my monthly allowance. So that's another 300 MB. I was using Google Maps navigation for about 7 minutes during that time. I probably use it 8-10 times a month and never had spikes like that.

So in addition to wondering how I used that much in a minute, investigating through My Verizon showed that I used 1.87 GB of data at 1:46pm on Sunday so that's how my 75% got reached so quickly. But I was watching the NYC Marathon in person at that time. I suppose an app could have been open on my phone, but it just seems so excessive. Add in what I experienced today and something seems really strange.

Like I said, the My Verizon site offers no more detail and says they don't have more specific info in one of the FAQs but I figured it's worth a shot. Is there anything that could be causing the spike that I'm not thinking of? I have all auto updates for apps turned off. Thanks.

Last edited by Logan : 11-04-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #467
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's some WiFi assist thing in the new iPhone that I saw people bitching about. If you have an iPhone, sounds like you backed stuff up to the cloud and weren't on wifi
Old 11-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #468
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Worried about Wi-Fi assist using too much cellular data? Here's how to turn it off! | iMore
Old 11-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #469
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

iphone or android?
if droid which device.

Some droid devices will let you dive into data usage per app.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #470
Logan
Head Coach

Thanks steve, but I'm on Android...Galaxy S4. Sorry for not specifying.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #471
Logan
Head Coach

That being said, I did change some photo settings a week or so ago when I got a larger SD card...maybe in doing so I toggled the backup settings back on. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #472
Logan
Head Coach

Thanks again. Investigation complete. Apparently "backup photos and videos" is exactly what I turned on AND it defaulted to the non "wifi only" option. I had been taking videos as one of our best friends was running the marathon and approaching the spot we were set up. Her husband was with us tracking her on the marathon app and it was "she's a minute away" for many minutes. So about 7 mins of HD video was being uploaded even thought I was trying to delete them as I was stopping the recording and restarting. Duhhhh....