Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #101
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
Yay for the fisher whos fishin it up!

I don't like my cleaning partner

I'd keep that to yourself, lest you find your "budget" has been "misappropriated."
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #102
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Working with wood, Qwikshot is working with wood...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:01 AM   #103
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Migrant Trappers are a big help in the early game. It's a good thing you got two! That's like 20-40 meat every season, including Winter... depending on how hostile the environment is.

Do you have a 'refuse' stockpile outside the cave? If not, then some rotting thing was left inside the cave and caused the Miasma.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 09-06-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:52 AM   #104
mrsimperless
College Prospect

GB, if you get a minute could you describe how you did the floodgates and maybe post a screenshot of it? Did you have to build a trench for the water, or does it just flow through normal space? I'm stuck on this right now.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #105
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz View Post
The Fortress Vaboskat, Spring 1052
Our Floorplan

Here’s a look at our floorplan as we head into spring. Major areas are noted:

My girlfriend walked in the room as I was staring at this screenshot, looked at it and asked me wtf it was, if I'd been hit by a virus attack or something?

I started explaining to her it was a fortress dug by some dwarves under the mountain, but then gave up as I realised how hopeless it was...

We really are a bunch of geeks to play such games!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #106
AStott
Mascot

Sleeping arrangements just due to overcrowding? Yeah... you just keep thinking that...

Brewing is ok for now (since it is a big need), but I'm thinking the military life is calling out to me...

Any chance you could post my information page? (You know, the one with the likes/dislikes etc.)
AStott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:24 AM   #107
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Things are looking good! You sure didn't get much room to work with before hitting that river.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:12 AM   #108
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless View Post
Things are looking good! You sure didn't get much room to work with before hitting that river.

The way floodgates work in the game right now is a bit buggy.

land/farming plot <-> X________X river

The water is sucked into the channel from the river, and then diverted from the channel into the land through 2 floodgates. Without both, the system won't work.

And this also means that you can accidentally flood the entire cave AND the outside world by flicking a floodgate system into an open space.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #109
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

My farming plot is right beside the cave river with a one space wide path betwen the room and the river. I placed a floodgate in that space and then one beside it which is beside the river. Then I place a door on all entrances into the farming room and pull the lever.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:04 PM   #110
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Year 1052, Summer: Steady as She Goes

Well, with enough food in the storehouse for the short term, we can focus on our next level of concerns. First, we need living quarters for our new dwarfs. Second, we need weapons. Third, I think it’s time we trained up the dogs of war. This wilderness is likely to get scary.

To drive home this point, Gi comes in one day with a noticeable limp after a hunting expedition. When asked for details, Gi mentions that he ran into a Jaguar in the woods. The jaguar is dead, but Gi has suffered an injury to his upper right leg. Pinky, as well, hurt her right ear while hunting warthogs. If we train up some hunting and war dogs, we can keep our dwarfs out in the wilderness safer. For the time being, we’ll make Gi our animal trainer so he can heal that leg of his.

Gi killed one of these with his bare hands

In another interesting development, Sarah Gellar has rocketed up to the status of legendary engraver. Apparently she had incredible talent that blossomed when she freaked out in the spring. She also has become incredibly tough and very strong. This is one female elf to keep an eye on, that’s for sure.

Legendary Engraver

For the most part, however, the summer moves along calmly. We begin to expand across the river, as Sachmo and ntndeacon build a bridge across and start striking towards the east in search of the magma river.

Food production continues at a brisk pace. Pinky brings in a lot of meat, Anxiety brings in some fish, and our farmers efficiently work the helmet farms.

Xena has some success with the forge, as she completes a handful of weapons, I think. I’m having a bit of difficulty finding them at the moment, but they must be around here somewhere.

A trading caravan arrives and we trade more trinkets for a variety of food.

Our living quarters expand, and by late summer the only dwarf without their own bedroom is Nancy Pelosi. We give our hunters, Gi and Pinky, the best of the new quarters, with high quality doors and beds. Their precarious jobs merit the bonus.

About the only excitement of the summer is provided by Anxiety, who went down to the river to fish and got stuck behind a floodgate that a dwarf installed while Anxiety was fishing. Anxiety yelled for days before ntndeacon finally cut a tunnel around the floodgate to free the trapped dwarf.

And with that event, summer fades into fall…

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 09-06-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #111
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Anxiety: Yeah, I agree. Your fishing partner may just need to have an accident. I think there is a tiger roaming around the wilderness. Maybe we can send her to kill it. Barehanded.

Qwikshot: I'm not quite sure what's going on with you, though. I think you may be bored with your job. You never seem to be at your workshop anymore. You're always out walking around in the woods.

Neon_Chaos: Yeah, our trappers rock. Dangerous life, though. We're starting to see bigger wildlife out there. Thanks for the tip on the miasma. I did have a refuse pile outside, but it was full. I expanded it a bit and the problem seems to be going away.

mrsimperless: Did you figure out the floodgates yet? Seems like you got a lot of help from others here already. If you need any more, you can see my setup on the existing screenshot. Two rows above the 'min' in my 'farming plot', you can see the X_X that shows my floodgate arrangement.

AStott: Nancy Pelosi was in the same room with you. Isn't that enough to make you want your own bedroom?

I'll try to post a screenshot of your likes at some point soon. Come to think of it, I may just retype the info, though, as it's probably faster.

mrsimperless: My river is close to my cliff face? This is my first start, so I've only played this one fortress.

fantastic: Good humor with explaining that screen shot. My wife doesn't even ask anymore. "Fun?" she asks? "Yup." I say. "They're my dwarfs." It's a testament to the strangeness of the games I like that my wife just takes that comment in stride. She did comment on the music, though. "Wow. That's dark."

I should have another update going up tomorrow. I'm a bit stuck now, though, in trying to find all the weapons that Xena made, and the military aspect of the game (making squads, etc.) has got me confused, so it might take me a bit of time to figure things out.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 09-06-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:28 PM   #112
thealmighty
Pro Starter

What is the magma river for?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #113
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
What is the magma river for?

I have no idea.

Honestly.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #114
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Well, when you do find it, I suggest not letting the dwarves use it as a hot tub.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:56 PM   #115
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
Well, when you do find it, I suggest not letting the dwarves use it as a hot tub.

Point taken. But you never know what the little buggers will do. I just give them directions. Whether they follow them or not is another question. I do wonder what happens to the first dwarf that finds the magma.

I'm guessing, though, that the river has something to do with forging weapons? Maybe iron/steel?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:21 PM   #116
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm guessing, though, that the river has something to do with forging weapons? Maybe iron/steel?

Perhaps its magical powers will turn Nancy Pelosi into an attractive young waif?

There's only one way to find out...
Old 09-06-2006, 11:23 PM   #117
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
Perhaps its magical powers will turn Nancy Pelosi into an attractive young waif?

There's only one way to find out...

She looks like she's already fallen in to a magma pool.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:38 AM   #118
gi
College Prospect

That’s right! Bare hands! Prickly little beasts, mightily tasty though. The dog lover in me is excited about my new job. I'm assuming I only have a skill of 5 at the moment.

Meanwhile...in the GI game....

I'm still trying to get this floodgate farming system to work. I think I have it setup correctly, just waiting for the mechanisms to be installed and then we test. Bugger of a system.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #119
Toddiec
Mascot

I didn't want to let this fall to far off the main page. I am eagerly awaiting the next post! This dynasty is helping me figure out some great starting strategies so keep it up!

Toddiec
Toddiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #120
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I wanted to make sure everyone saw that the last version of the game was put out on 9/2?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:49 AM   #121
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddiec View Post
I didn't want to let this fall to far off the main page. I am eagerly awaiting the next post! This dynasty is helping me figure out some great starting strategies so keep it up!

Toddiec

Yup, sorry about yesterday. Got caught up with the opening of football season. I'll likely have an update up late this evening. A bit busy with work this afternoon. Still plugging away...
Old 09-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #122
Kodos
Resident Alien

If you need a new dwarf sometime, please sign me up.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #123
Toddiec
Mascot

No problem at all. I didn't mean that in a "hey, I'm a jerk and selfishly want GB to spend his every waking moment posting to this dynasty", but more in a "I am showing my appreciation for a job well done without applying undo pressure". Real life comes first.

Oh, and add me to the list of dwarf applicants after Kodos if you would. Thanks!
Toddiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #124
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Add me to the list of eager dwarves as well.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:23 AM   #125
TonyR
High School Varsity

Great reading GB!
If ya need an extra dwarf, sign me up.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:31 AM   #126
WVUFAN
College Starter

I'd love to be one of the merry dwarves. Could you sign me up for the waiting list?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:25 AM   #127
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

new version as of sept. 08.

www.bay12games.com/dwarves
Old 09-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #128
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Well, sorry for the delay everyone, but work/life kind of got busy for a few days. Back at it now. I'm playing the autumn session now and should be able to write it up sometime tomorrow, Monday at the latest. As you get more dwarfs, the game gets more complicated, and between trying to learn the game, play the game decently, and take notes to keep track of events, it looks like it's going to take a bit longer to get updates posted.

One other thing I'm starting to notice is that it does look as if some dwarfs are going to lead relatively quiet roles, while other dwarfs get into the more interesting adventures. I'll try to balance out the writing as much as I can, but there is only so much I can say about someone who works planting seeds/harvesting helmet for a full season. With us over 20 dwarfs now, writing about every dwarf each season might be a bit tricky to do. We'll see, though. I'm still getting a feel for both the game and how to write about it.

Some quick replies...

Gi: Unfortunately, circumstances forced us to call you back to the wilderness. Your dog training stint was shortlived.

Kodos: Welcome! Yes, of course we'll add you to the list. Perhaps you can rise to the rank of fearless leader, just like the good old days.

Toddiec: No problem at all. I didn't think your post sounded pushy at all. We'll add you to the list as well! Welcome!

Warhammer, WVUFan: Welcome! I'll get you right on the list.

TonyR: Thanks! You're on the list as well.

Neon, Sachmo: It's great to see how quickly the guy puts out new updates. I'm still on my original version, but will likely update at some point in the near future.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 09-09-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #129
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Borscht
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #130
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well, sorry for the delay everyone, but work/life kind of got busy for a few days. Back at it now. I'm playing the autumn session now and should be able to write it up sometime tomorrow, Monday at the latest. As you get more dwarfs, the game gets more complicated, and between trying to learn the game, play the game decently, and take notes to keep track of events, it looks like it's going to take a bit longer to get updates posted.

One other thing I'm starting to notice is that it does look as if some dwarfs are going to lead relatively quiet roles, while other dwarfs get into the more interesting adventures. I'll try to balance out the writing as much as I can, but there is only so much I can say about someone who works planting seeds/harvesting helmet for a full season. With us over 20 dwarfs now, writing about every dwarf each season might be a bit tricky to do. We'll see, though. I'm still getting a feel for both the game and how to write about it.

Some quick replies...

Gi: Unfortunately, circumstances forced us to call you back to the wilderness. Your dog training stint was shortlived.

Kodos: Welcome! Yes, of course we'll add you to the list. Perhaps you can rise to the rank of fearless leader, just like the good old days.

Toddiec: No problem at all. I didn't think your post sounded pushy at all. We'll add you to the list as well! Welcome!

Warhammer, WVUFan: Welcome! I'll get you right on the list.

TonyR: Thanks! You're on the list as well.

Neon, Sachmo: It's great to see how quickly the guy puts out new updates. I'm still on my original version, but will likely update at some point in the near future.

You better have a good reason for missing the deadline!!!

Seriously, looking forward to the next update. I even gave the game another shot because of this dynasty (gave up after 10 minutes but still...).
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #131
gi
College Prospect

I'm feeling a little of Godzilla Blitz's pain. Had 7 dwarfs going into Spring after surviving my first winter. 20 immigrants now show up....causing me to expand the bedroom area at the very least...
Old 09-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #132
Vince
Pro Starter

Thumbsup, GB. Another great dynasty in the works
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #133
Kodos
Resident Alien

When do the Sectoids show up?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #134
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Lol, you got me playing this god forsaken game and now I'm hooked. We had a Snakeman ambush during our first winter which killed my best Mason and maimed my best Grower. Someday we'll get those floodgates working . . .
Old 09-12-2006, 04:26 PM   #135
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Hawk View Post
Lol, you got me playing this god forsaken game and now I'm hooked. We had a Snakeman ambush during our first winter which killed my best Mason and maimed my best Grower. Someday we'll get those floodgates working . . .

Same thing happened to me, but the bastards didn't even wait until the first winter to strike. They attacked in autumn and took out three dwarves. And then, before the first caravan even arrived, we were finished off by lizardmen. Pretty harsh beginning to a game.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #136
Celeval
Pro Starter

I'm up and going in the second summer with a little over 30 dwarves now... there are horses everywhere, and I don't know what to do. Seriously. They all like hanging out at the well.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #137
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Same thing happened to me, but the bastards didn't even wait until the first winter to strike. They attacked in autumn and took out three dwarves. And then, before the first caravan even arrived, we were finished off by lizardmen. Pretty harsh beginning to a game.

Methinks that the snakemen ambush you from the Well if you built one. I lost three to them also, but one of them was a peasant, so I wasn't too distraught. I now have a Recruit who walks his beat past the well. All I know is combat scares the shit out of me. When the snakes arrived I pretty much let them attack everybody until somebody beat them down. Cull the weak from the heard . . . I have no clue what I'm doing when things attack. But I do have a shitload of crossbows laying around somewhere!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #138
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
I'm up and going in the second summer with a little over 30 dwarves now... there are horses everywhere, and I don't know what to do. Seriously. They all like hanging out at the well.

You can set them up to be butchered via the "Z" key menu (units? I forget) - then select "animals."
Old 09-13-2006, 01:35 PM   #139
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
You can set them up to be butchered via the "Z" key menu (units? I forget) - then select "animals."

Besides food, any other purpose for them at this point?
Old 09-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #140
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Eek! Sorry, dwarfs! Real life has intruded on our fortress adventure. I have a grant application due Friday that I didn't think I was going to have to write. I'll do my best to get back to this as soon as I can.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #141
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi View Post
Besides food, any other purpose for them at this point?

I don't know if there are any long-term uses for them, as I've yet to complete even a full year before my poor dwarf colony gets destroyed (*#$%^@#! lizardmen!). One tutorial I read recommended butchering them for meat right away, as they were otherwise "useless" (their term, not mine). If there is a long-term use for them I'd assume there will also be other ways of gathering new livestock later.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:45 PM   #142
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
I don't know if there are any long-term uses for them, as I've yet to complete even a full year before my poor dwarf colony gets destroyed (*#$%^@#! lizardmen!). One tutorial I read recommended butchering them for meat right away, as they were otherwise "useless" (their term, not mine). If there is a long-term use for them I'd assume there will also be other ways of gathering new livestock later.

I have seen mules help hauling rock during mining. I would assume that horses have a purpose also. One thought that comes to mind is military use - cavalry, but I haven't seen anything specifically on it.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:13 PM   #143
Celeval
Pro Starter

I haven't had need to butcher yet, so haven't touched the horses/mules - although you can turn the horses on to become pets, which I did for one. I wonder if you can (or will be able) to train them, like the hunting/war dogs and assign to people.

Has anyone else had a pet get named? I have a named cat walking around as well.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:35 PM   #144
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I just had a kobold attack but I'm on my third year and have five sworddwarves each with two war dogs assigned so it was no porblem at all.

I moned obsidian early and made swords for my dwarves, and so I'm just getting metal now, I would not have been prepared otherwise. You can make em shields early too, pre-metal with wood.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #145
KWhit
Coordinator

Yes, I have quite a few named pets. Right now my fortress has over 150 animals running around it. It's a little crowded.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:19 PM   #146
Celeval
Pro Starter

I just watched someone's pet cat chase a monach butterfly around the well room.

This game is great. :-D
Old 09-16-2006, 10:25 PM   #147
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Neon_Chaos: Thanks! I think we'll actually need a lot more than good luck. I think we'll need divine intervention.

Clearly, this is a call for revrew to join the waiting list. If I can take out the fortress on Mars, I can build one inside some little rock. After you, Commander Kodos.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:23 PM   #148
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I think I owe everyone an apology here...

I've tried a couple of times to get back into this, but I've really struggled. As the number of dwarfs increases, it gets harder and harder to process everything that is happening in the game. With our 20+ dwarfs running around at the same time, it was taking me forever to keep track of everything.

Bottom line is that complexity of the game and the way it presents information made writing the dynasty really difficult. A lot of times I'd simply miss stuff completely and have to wade through screens trying to figure out what happened. This in turn was starting to take the fun out of the game as well. I hammered away another season the other night, but I can easily see that the next wave of dwarfs to arrive would push the complexity to a level beyond my limits.

Although I hate to not finish what I started, I think that I'm going to have to retire on this one. I thought the game would work beautifully, and perhaps when they clean up the way they present information to the gamer it will work better for a dynasty. But in its current form, it would simply take too much time to chronicle events enough to include a large number of our individual dwarfs. I think someone could make a great story out of this game, but for me, it was taking too much time to keep track of even one season's events.

Again, I apologize for asking for signups and then not getting that far, but I hope you understand, and it was really starting to become more work than fun.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 09-25-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:26 PM   #149
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Ah well. I understand. Thanks for trying!

Old 09-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #150
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I understand.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote