Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2007, 01:09 AM   #51
Izulde
Head Coach

Can the capital ever move?

It almost sounds like you'd be better advised to move to Tripoli when it becomes a core.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 AM   #52
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Can the capital ever move?

It almost sounds like you'd be better advised to move to Tripoli when it becomes a core.

Some updates:

Looks like you can only change a capital as an edit of the files. Maybe some events will help here.

On maps. In EU2, you get expand your map by the following:

1). Getting an explorer or conquistador and sending them into Terra Incognita (either sea or land, respectively.)

2). Capturing the capital of a nation that had maps

3). Annexing a nation that had maps (after all, you get their entire military, you should get their charts as well, right?)

4). If you were at war with a country, you could march an army into enemy TI but it was very slow. This prevented hit and fade tactics by the AI jumping into TI, and it allowed you to continue to wage war.

5). Capturing the rudders of ships. If you won a naval battle, there was a slight chance that you would get that nation's maps as part of your capture. Since in this game, you can actually capture ships at sea, this would make even more sense in EU3.

6). One diplomatic activity was the trading of maps. Sometimes this worked out a bit cheap, so I'd understand why they puilled it out. (In fifty years, I could have a map of the known world if I cared to by continuing to trade maps with countries. )

In EU3, there are two ways:

1). Way the first. Explore with conquistadors and explorers. In order to get them, you need to get the Quest for the New World national idea.

2). A new way. After 50 years of a nation in a tech group knowing about a place on its map, everybody in that tech group gets that place. As orthodox, I will never get Catholic tech maps. Feh.

And that's it.

6).

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:17 PM   #53
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Brother Against Brother

12 January, 1499 – We get an event. Regulation of the Medical Profession. States began to expand the number of doctors and midwives. I get two choices.

Choice the First, “Let’s Use This Knowledge”: Morea gets Medical Evolution for 500 days: Population Growth Rate increases by 10%. I’d get another 2k per year or so, so maybe another 3.2-3.5 k overall. That’s not bad.

Choice the Second, “Let’s Keep Studying”: Get a free move towards Innovate on the policy sliders – no stability hit or anything. I’ll take the permanent policy slider move.

6 March, 1500 – We get another event. Military Reform. Francesco IV has begun a wide sweeping reform of the military. I have three choices this time.

1: Only Reform the Army – Innovate and quality increase by 1, 1000 ducats invested in land tech, Naxos gets Land Reform for 200 days which increases morale, reduces maintenance costs, etc.
2: Only Reform the Navy – Innovate and quality still increase by 1, investment is in naval reform, ability goes to Naxos and has the same effects for 200 days.
3: Reform Both – Innovate and quality each gain 1 again. 400 ducats invested in each. Military reform in Naxos for 200 days.

Since I’m getting innovative and quality for sure, I decide on Army Reform.

I’m actually now one step more innovative than I wanted to be. Ah well.

24 August, 1500 – Austria offers us an alliance. I thank them but decline.

8 February, 1501 – I now have a full slate of merchants in Liguria, which is Genoa’s center of trade in northwest Italy.

15 February, 1501 – Like it was a prize, Genoa just offered me an alliance. I decline.

17 March, 1501 – I send a royal marriage proposal to Croatia, and they agree.

15 July, 1501 – I can move my sliders again. There are several things I am looking at:

Quality over Quantity – My military machine will not be able to produce mad amounts of troops – so let’s focus on making them better, not bulkier. This helps troop morale and increase my leader’s fire characteristic, but makes troops more expensive to purchase while decreasing our manpower.

Offensive over Defensive – Our troops benefit from higher morale and higher leader shock value in exchange for an increased artillery cost.

Free Trade over Mercantilism – We are very Mercantilistic, and I’d like to eventually change all of that. Moving towards free trade would increase my cost to send merchants, increase the number of merchants I have, and decrease my spies while increasing my colonist production.

We are maxed at Innovative – here is what its like: Land Tech, Naval Tech, Production Tech, Trade Tech and Government Tech research are all at +10%! On the other hand, my stability rise cost has also risen by 25%! And I can’t make any missionaries nor colonists and I’m losing the ones I did have.

I decide to take Offensive move. I need to up my armies. The morale bonus is fine but the disadvantage can’t be felt yet, so for now, it’s a free move.

1 August, 1501 – Our stability increases.

5 September, 1501 – I again decline Pommeranian offers of an alliance.

12 October, 1501 – Genoa just got in a major war. Glad I wasn’t part of that.

15 October, 1501 – Aragon and Venice have finally declared peace. No land changed hands. Venice is still at war with another nation and has a huge revolt risk because of war exhaustion. Still hoping for Crete to rebel, or maybe Corfu.

7 November, 1501 – Tuscany offers us an alliance. Another declination.

1 February, 1502 – Our land tech increases.

6 April, 1502 – Mamluks declared war upon Candar. The Ottomans joined Candar. Dulkadir dishonored their alliance with Candar. Tunisia joined the Mamluks. Note that Karamon and Algiers are not involved – but since the Ottomans are now at war with Mamluks – the sand will be awash with Muslim blood.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-04-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #54
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

An Unlikely Inheritance

20 April, 1502 – I send a royal marriage offer to Austria and they accept.

13 May, 1502 – We enter into a royal marriage with Aragon.

I get a missive from the Ottomans. They request military access. I’m inclined to grant it. We’ve yet to go to war, it’d give them another reason not to kill us, and they’d have to cancel military access before attacking, so we’d have a warning. My guess is that they want to use Tripolitania as a staging ground.

15 May, 1502 – Crimea entered into an alliance with Dulkadir.

7 June, 1502 – I accept a royal marriage offer from Bavaria.

28 August, 1502 – I don’t know when it started, but while I was sailing my fleet past Crete while observing the unfolding Ottoman-Mamluk war, I saw that rebels were besieging Crete!

10 September, 1502 – I decline an alliance offer from Austria.

9 October, 1502 – We have inherited the throne of Modena upon the death of the last Scion of the line in battle! I have instantly and dynastically added four provinces to our nation!

4 November, 1502 – Venice is being besieged by 4000 rebels.

29 November, 1502 – Venezia falls to rebels.

Venetian rebels are all over the place. I decide to load up my armies and send them to my new provinces to protect them from over-zealous revolutionaries.

3 December, 1502 – I decline an offer of alliance from Sweden.

20 December, 1502 – Venice finally declares peace with their last enemy – Savoy. Now they have much to repair.

5 January, 1503 – Venice is offering us an alliance.

Venice.

There was a time when I would have died for an alliance offer from Venice. As one of the Mediteranean powers (After Aragon, Mamluks then comes Venice), I would have died for an alliance.

Now I’m a power with nine provinces and a vassal. Not a major power, I’ll grant you, but a solid enough one. I’d rather tie myself to a smaller nation like Croatia or Ragusa and then offer them vassalization than ally myself with a weaker medium level power. I’d still jump at the opportunity to ally myself with Aragon. But Venice?

Not any more. I reject their proposal.

I release Bern as the new Switzerland, and our vassal. I have no desire to keep it. It also lowers our badboy image in the eyes of other countries when we voluntarily surrender land.

10 January, 1503 – The Papal States and their allies (Siena and Wurtemberg) declare war against Venice. They are pounding Venice in Europe, geez!

3 March, 1503 – I get an alliance offer from Genoa. This time, I consider it more. Could I get Genoa to the point where her three provinces would join us as vassals? All three suit my long term Mediterranean goals (Liguria is a COT and Italian/French province, Corsica is an island, and that province in the Black Sea is nice too.)

However, I realize that someday I may want to attack Genoa to grab her lands, so I need to be non-allied.

March 10, 1503 - I get an event:

Revolt in Tripolotania. Differences in culture and religion have created an environment of rebellion in Tripolitania. How do I handle it?

1 – Ignore Them. Two rebel regiments rise up against us in Tripolitania.

2 – Lower Taxes. 730 days the taxes in Tripolitania are reduced by 10%. Our prestige ranking lowered by 1.

I choose option number two – the peaceful one.

30 April, 1503 – Crete falls to rebels.

30 May, 1503 – Our 50 years anniversary arrives. Time for a look back.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #55
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The 50 year retrospective:

Naxos: We began the era with only the Duchy of Naxos at our hand. In the past 50 years, we’ve grown to 4489 people working the wine trade. We only make around 5.5 ducats annually in taxes and production combined – hardly a plum province, yet the wine trade gives us what wealth we do get. Nobody, other than us of course, has this province as a core province.

Morea: We set our sights on adding the fellow Greek state, Morea, to our nation. As a Catholic in charge of Orthodox Christians, we have problems collecting taxes and inspiring work. Many of our fellow Catholic nations were in the same boat, but Morea was an Orthodox nation, and thus returning her to the glory that is the Catholic Church was worth attacking her first. Morea has 7485 people working the wine trade. We get almost 6 ducats from Morea. She has since became a core and vital part of our nation. The Ottomans have Morea as a core province.

Rhodes: After a peaceful period, we then set our sights on The Knights of St. John, currently in administration over the island of Rhodes. We decided to bring our fellow Greeks into our fold. A quick and decisive campaign brought Rhodes to us as our third state. Rhodes has 22075 people working the fish trade here. Because of the disconnect form our capital and the religious difference, we only make a little over 2 ducats annually from Rhodes, combined production and taxes. Nobody has this province as a core province.

Athens: After conquering Rhodes, there was another decade of quiet, until we annexed peacefully the state of Athens. The 25433 people here also work the fish trade, with around 4.7 ducats annually being yielded. The Ottomans has Athens as a core province.

All four of these provinces are Orthodox.

Tripolitania – After another period of calm and quiet, we began a war against the beleaguered nation of Tripoli. A fast victory against the Islamic nation brought the North African province of Tripolitania into our nation. We get 12.95 ducats here annually, although 12.56 of it comes from the ivory trade here. The 29881 people here work the ivory trade but only send us a little in taxes each year. This is largely because of cultural, religious and distance that create a void between us. The people here are Sunni. Tunisia has Tripolitania as a core province.

Ferarra – 57741 people work the salt trade in this province located just south of Venice proper. Ferarra was one of four provinces brought into our fold when Modena ceased to be a country and we inherited her provinces. 15.79 ducats are made here annually for us. The people here are Catholic and Lombard. The province came with a University, Workshop, Marketplace and Temple. Nobody has this province as a core province.

Modena – Modena proper has 42437 people working the wine trade making 14 ducats for us annually. Modena is located southwest of Ferarra and on the west coast of the Italian Peninsula. The people here are also Lombard and Catholic. His province came with a temple and a university. Nobody has this province as a core province.

Parma – The province of Parma is north of Modena and is the uppermost province still on the west coast of the Italian peninsula, snuggled up against the European mainland. Like the other provinces from the Modenan Succession, Parma is Lombard and Catholic with a temple and university. The wine trade is also popular here, with 61999 people creating 14.45 ducats annually for us in combined tax and production. Nobody has this province as a core province.

Vassals:

Cyprus: Gained eight years ago, the province of Cyprus is wine province with 13671 people and is also Greek Orthodox like so many of our provinces. It is hoped that Cyrpus will join our fold one day voluntarily.

Switzerland: The former province of Bern was captured by Modena in war and then passed on to us one of her provinces. We had no desire for a province up on the Alps. It is currently under assault by Venetian rebels who made their way there after capturing a Venetian province. 4381 people work the iron mines here in Bern.

Military:

We have four regiments, three of which are currently stationed in Ferrara to handle any rebels that come our way. The remaining 1000 are stationed in Tripolitania as a garrison force and front line defense.

We have two cog ships that are currently sailing the Gulf of Taranto and observing a rebel siege of Corfu.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #56
st.cronin
General Manager

What exactly is a "vassal" in this game?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:31 PM   #57
MrBug708
Head Coach

Basically someone who gives you money
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #58
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
What exactly is a "vassal" in this game?

It's an independant country that is a part of your umbrella, sphere of influence so to speak. They pay you have of their monthly income, but none of their annual income. You can ask a country with who is your vassal to be annexed by your country and it requires a virtually maximized relationship and ten years as your vassal.

There are three ways you can have a vassal.

1) Release a part of your country which has an independant streak. This is determined by what the developers consider an independant streak to be, but virtually every European province counts. You release them as a vassal with the same religion as you and maxed relations. In my case, Switzerland has been annexed by Venice and thus I was able to relese Bern, one half of Switzerland, as a new Switzerland as my vassal

2) Get a vassalization diplomatically. This requires a royal marriage (which means they have to be able to do royal marriages. Some European countries are not monarchies - like Venice, Ragusa, Genoa, Tuscany, etc. Also, while Christians can always intermarry, as can muslims from Sunni to Shiite, there's no intermarrying across religions - I'd have to check to see what Hindu, Confuciousism, and Buddhism rules are.) and an alliance and virtually maxed relations. You also typically need to be bigger and better than that country.

3). Vassalize in war. You can vassalize anybody in war, regardless of religion or government type. This was the most common form in the Middle Ages. Many countries were vassals of other countires (Granada of Castille, Wallachia of the Ottomans, etc)

Hope that helps!

Old 03-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #59
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Another example of real life vassalizaiotn would be mnay of the Crusader States that popped up during the Crusades as European powers took land so far away that they didn;t want to bother ruling it. The Duchy of Naxos was a Crusader State (sometimes referred to as The Duchy of the Archipelago)

-Anxiety

Old 03-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #60
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Entangling Alliances

20 August, 1503 – I reject an alliance offer from Wurttemberg.

1 September, 1503 – The Venice government is broken by rebels, and they take over. The new Venice government has arrived. That means no more rebellions in Corfu or Crete, and no more need to worry about Venetian rebels exporting to my provinces.

1 November, 1503 – Rhodes is now officially part of our patrimony, and we get a core province bonus from it!

1 December, 1503 – The rebels captured Bern, and Switzerland is broken. They are still our vassal, just new people are in control – loss of financial stability, inflation, etc.

1 January, 1504 – AMAZING!!!!! Anakethos Getsi has arrived in Athens. He is a major advisor on a massive level. He is a six star government advisor. Unfortunately, I cannot afford him. He requires 18.7 ducats annually and 0.6 monthly. However, I only have 13 ducats right now. I have a year to figure out what to do with him. Otherwise, he goes to the general pool and any state can hire him.

10 January, 1504 – A major problem has occurred. Cyprus has converted to Protestant. That means our relationship drops to neutral and she is no longer in an alliance with us. Ick. She’s still our vassal, but now looks unlikely to be our annexation target next year.

I jack up my minting for a few months, taking the inflation hit, so I can hire Anakethos Getsi.

18 January, 1504 – Poland wants military access and I grant it.

1 February, 1504 – After one month, I have minted enough money to hire Anakethos. I also decline an alliance offer from Denmark.

4 February, 1504 – I accept alliance offers from Croatia and Castille.

Why?

Croatia is a one province minor on the Adriatic Sea that if I can buddy up to might agree to be a vassal someday. Easy decision.

Castille is more difficult, yet there are several reasons why –

1). We are brothers on North Africa. After the Ottomans and the Mamluks finish up their war, one or both could legitimately look my way. Since I’ve never been able to get Ottoman assistance with a legit power in the area, we might as well take assistance against the Mamluks.

2). And even if we didn’t fight the Mamluks, can you imagine the land we’d gobble up between us against Tunisia and Algiers if they get antsy? It’d be very useful to expand our holdings.

3). Eventually, and it’s not going to be for a while, but eventually, as we continue to grow into a serious Meditteranean power, we’re going to have to tussle with Aragon for the title of greatest power in the region. Castille would be the single best ally for such a battle.

Okay, now I have serious issue with maps. You can see everything that happens in an ally’s provinces and adjacent sea zones – the fog of war is lifted there. But I can’t see Castille’s provinces that I havne’t discovered. Now, I could understand Castille being dodgey with the New World info, but certainly they’d want us to have all of their North Africa info, right? Or else, how could we lift a siege in our ally’s territory or use it as a base camp or anything?

It’s still a stupid, stupid decision by the coders, and it appears to be getting stupider the more I play.

18 February, 1504 – I accept a military alliance from Tuscany, now that they are a neighbor. See: Croatia, except with two provinces.

25 February, 1504 – I decline a military alliance from Pommerania.

9 March, 1504 – I accept an alliance offer from Ragusa: also see Croatia.

11 May, 1504 – Venice and Genoa have reached peace. Liguria was about to fall, so Genoa was wise to seek peace.

20 January, 1505 – Crimea declared war upon Candar. The Ottomans dishonored their alliance. Dulkadir has joined the war. Dulkadir is no longer an Ottoman ally, although it can’t be long before they grab them back. Cracks in the Ottoman armor? One of their perma-allies is gone, at least for now, the other looks to be gone for a while, and two of their perma-allies are at war. If I had the stability, I’d attack Dulkadir again, only this time I’d win.

3 February, 1505 – In a move that may portent war, Hungary laid claim to the throne of Croatia (by having a royal marriage with them). That gives them a casus belli on Croatia, our erstwhile ally.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-04-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #61
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Just added a bunch of titles to the individual game posts. Hope you like them. My favorite is "Harvesting Grain Before a Storm," which I thought was much better than "Gathering Resources Before a War."

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-04-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:44 AM   #62
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Angering the Dragon

13 September, 1505 – Aragon declares war upon Tuscany. Portugal and Burgundy join forces with their ally Aragon against poor Tuscany.

What do I do? Aragon had the lower half of the Italian Peninsula for ages and hadn’t made a move to grab more land. However, I’m not ready to take on Aragon on a long campaign right now, and if Portugal and Burgundy should actually send forces over?

On the other hand, if I go to war with Tuscany and manage to grab a province or two, like, say, Napoli? That’d be a huge swing for us.

Best case scenario if I go to war:

Portugal and Burgundy ignore the war. Aragon concentrates too much of her forces on Tuscany, I sneak around back and hit her Hard ™ and force peace after a province or two falls into my hand. This is a defensive war, so less badboy if I take land here.

Worst case scenario:

Portugal and Burgundy get involved and kick my ass. I lose land, likely either Tripolitania and/or one or more of my Lombard provinces.

I risk it. We are now at war with Aragon.

I jack up the maintenance on our troops and order my fleet to head to Ferrara and pick up some troops.

1 November, 1505 – We win a battle with Aragon in the Straits of Messina. We also capture one of their ships.

20 January, 1506 – 2000 of our troops are kicked out of Ancona because the Tuscany leader chose to assault the city and we lost troops.

21 January, 1506 – We won a land battle against Aragon in Malta where our leader led 2000 of our infantry in a successful campaign against Aragon. The Siege of Malta has begun.

I order 1000 Condotta Infantry, which are great at defense, built in Ferrara.

I order war taxes to begin being collected.

25 January, 1506 – My fleet arrives off the coast of Napoli and I see way too many Aragonese troops on the Italian shore to make a serious attempt – however the two Sicilian provinces are open.

5 March, 1506 – My fleet bearing my Italian forces dodges the Aragonese fleet and arrives by Malta. I order my men to disembark into Sicily.

16 March, 1506 – The Siege of Palermo has begun. I expect the Aragonese to backtrack and head here with troops, thus pulling them away from Tuscany.

19 April, 1506 – I march my new troops in Ferrara to Modena. There they will be a reserve if needed by Tuscany or to defend my own territory if a backside attack is called for by Aragon. My fleet in between Malta and Sicilly is watching the sealanes to see if any Aragonese try to break into my backside and hit me in Naxos, Morea, Rhodes or Athens.

7 May, 1506 – After pushing Aragon back out, Tuscany takes Ancona.

8 July, 1506 – We accept a royal marriage from Lithuania.

10 July, 1506 – Malta falls. I order the troops here into Palermo to assist in the taking of that province.

13 August, 1506 – Palermo falls just before my troops were set to land!

18 August, 1506 – I send Aragon a peace offer for them to give us Malta, they refuse. I order my 4000 troops into Messina the other Sicilian province where 1000 Aragon troops await.

2 September, 1506 – We win the battle of Messina and begin besieging the capital.

27 September, 1506 – The Ottomans have inherited Dulkadir so they have them now dynastically.

30 September, 1506 – We get a peace offer from Aragon. They will give us peace and Malta. We would be at peace with their entire alliance. Malta is poor land, but gaining it is more than we would have done, otherwise.

Smart money says to take the deal and move on. Of course, I could capture Messina and then push for either Messina or Palermo as my prize. Those are much better provinces.

What ultimately sells me is the relative cheapness of Malta in terms of value. 7k people working the fish trade? Get real. I decline.

1 November, 1506 – Our production tech increased.

5 December, 1506 – The Aragon push has defeated Tuscany at Ancona and is now besieging their on province.

15 January, 1507 – We defeat another Aragon advance at Messina.

29 March, 1507 – We defeat an Aragon scouting navy in the Straits of Messina.

15 May, 1507 – I turn down another Malta offer from Aragon.

30 July, 1507 – We capture Messina. I order my men to the mainland of Italy in the province of Calabria where 2000 Aragonese await.

23 September 1507 – We lost 627 men but won the Battle of Calabria. In the meantime, Aragon has moved some her front line troops back to Napoli. An army I’d lost to. 5000 calvary.

20 October, 1507 – Now the peace offer is Messina and Malta. That’s much better. I accept.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:54 AM   #63
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Thought some of you might want to see an updated map:

Old 03-05-2007, 02:01 AM   #64
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Look at how natural Messina and Malta look next to Tripolitania. It looks much less isolated now, eh?

Let's take a look at my new land:

Malta: 7528 people work the fishing trade here. They are Catholic and Maltese. We are currently only getting 3.25 ducats from her annually in combined tax and production - like I said, hardly worth the bother. Aragon has Malta as a core province. A Workshop has been built here.

Messina - The 69949 Catholic people are Sicillian, which is fine. See, when I inherited the Lombard provinces three, my main culture became Lombard. Lombard is related to Sicilian. Thus, my country tolerates the culture here. Therefore, the cultural hit to taxes is only 10% instead of 30% for not being a culture that we tolerate but being related to one. We make 6.5 ducats annually here from the taxes and produciton from the oh so mighty fish trade. Aragon also has this as a core province. Messina also has a Workshop built here.

In other news, that alliance with Castille looks amazingly smart in hindsight. With a pair of Aragon cores, they could declare war against us at any time, and now I have an ally to call on that's much more powerful than I, and could really take it to Aragon.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-05-2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #65
SFL Cat
College Starter

Your provinces are spread a little thin. You should go ahead and overrun Aragon in Italy to consolidate your territory a little better!
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #66
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Your provinces are spread a little thin. You should go ahead and overrun Aragon in Italy to consolidate your territory a little better!

The Aragonian army was waaaaaaay too powerful for me, I merely avoided it by going around their backside while they tussled with Tuscany. I beleive that when I got peace, they forced Tuscany back out of Ancona and then the peace forced Tuscany to pay some gold.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:23 PM   #67
Kobeck
n00b

dang I was hoping for an update today.

Enjoying this muchly.

Although there is a copy of EUIII comming to my house as I type. I will not be able to play for a couple of weeks as my 6 year old PC would require a new video card. Instead of that I am just gonna build a new PC and hope to get 6 years out of it. TMI I know

Anyhow I am following along daily
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:08 AM   #68
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The Rewards of Patience

25 October, 1507 – Burgundy is wanting military access. I grant it.

18 December, 1507 – I accept a royal marriage offer from Poland.

3 March, 1508 – We get five merchants in Lubeck, a Center of Trade near Denmark on the north German coast.

1 June, 1508 – Our stability increased.

6 June, 1508 – The Papal States and their ally, Siena, declared war upon Venice.

10 June, 1508 – Tuscany and Aragon come to peace terms.

7 November, 1508 – I get an event. Boundary Dispute. The lack of good maps created a lot of wars and conflicts. Clever rules used vague boundaries to gain an advantage.I have two options:

1) Press Issue: I get cores on Pisa, Firenze, Romagna, and Mantua. My relations with those owners (Tuscany, Venice, Papal States, and Tuscany again) are decreased by 30 per core (so 60 for Tuscany, 30 each for the Papal States and Venice.)

2) Settle Issue: I lose one prestige.

After quick consideration, I decide to press the issue. You never know when those cores could become useful. Especially for declaring war against, say, Venice in the future.

12 January, 1509 – Genoa declared war upon Savoy.

26 March, 1509 – Francesco IV has been elected the Holy Roman Emperor!

The following countries are electors:

Provence
Hamburg
Hesse
Wurzberg
Genoa
Siena
Liege

We received votes from five of the seven states! We did not get votes from Hamburg and Hesse. Obviously my royal marriages and good relationships has taken us far. This was never my intent, but it’s a nice bonus!

What benefit do we get from being Holy Roman Emperor?

+1 diplomats annually
+5% spy success
+1 prestige annually

The number of countries in the HRE (currently 18) give us:

+18 monthly stability investment (massive amount)
+9 manpower increase
+36 land forcelimits

The monthly stability investment is amazingly good for us. It accelerates the anticipated date for our stability to increase from 1521 to 1513!

Old 03-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #69
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The Penance of Patience

9 April, 1509 – I accept a royal marriage proposal from Pommerania.

10 April, 1509 – I decide to send my troops to Ragusa to put down a 1000 group of rebels from the Ottomans. I ask for and receive the right to move through Ragusa with my troops.

26 April, 1509 – I accept a royal marriage offer from Mazovia.

16 May, 1509 – Our troops arrive in Ragusa.

5 June, 1509 – We crush the rebels in Ragusa. I send them back to Messina.

16 June, 1509 – Venice and Savoy are now at peace.

26 September, 1509 – A new king rises to the head of Cyprus. He great at diplomacy and military and pitiful at administration.

18 December, 1509 – We get another Boundary Dispute action. This time, the following provinces are available to be added as cores: Verona and Venezia itself (Venice). I’ll take Venezia for sure. Relations with Venice drop by 60.

1 February, 1510 – I hire Hasan Hirsekli, an army reformer, as an advisor for my nation. He was generally available I just got lucky to find him here.

1 March, 1510 – Siena has adopted their third national idea and we aren’t even close to our second.

9 March, 1510 – Wurtemburg captured Lombardia of Venice. Venice needs to pick up the pace.

1 May, 1510 – Our government tech increases.

1 August, 1510 – Our naval tech increases.

30 August, 1510 – Rebels capture Janina, an Ottoman province northwest of Athens.

13 September, 1510 – I accept a royal marriage from Sweden. I also ask for and receive Military Access from Tuscany.

1 December, 1510 – The Ottomans have recaptured Janina.

2 March, 1511 – Bosnia declared war upon Ragusa. None of their allies accepted the call, but Ragusa asks us to join their efforts. I agree.

11 April, 1511 – Castille declared war upon Algiers. Morocco and Tunis join Algiers. I join Castille. We are now at war on two fronts.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:51 PM   #70
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

War Against Everybody

I jacked up my troop maintenance and move 3000 of my troops to Ragusa. Two thousand more are sent to Tripolitania, including my leader. I order another 1000 in Ferrara.

No, nevermind. I intend to win this war one front at a time. I send all 5000 troops to Ragusa. Let’s win this against Bosnia, and then win it against North Africa. I will leave Tripolitania defenseless for the moment.

18 April, 1511 – Hungary declares war against Croatia. I’m at war with everyone else, might as well support Croatia as well, plus my army in Ragusa can do double duty. Hungary’s two allies, Bohemai anad Denmark join.

22 June, 1511 – My troops are all in Ragusa.

25 June, 1511 – 1000 calvary from Tunis arrive in Tripolitania to besiege the city.

5 July, 1511 – We won the Battle of Hum and begun besieging the city.

8 September, 1511 – 2000 Bohemiam troops arrive in Ferrara to being a siege.

30 September, 1511 – My fresh 1000 troops from Ferrara arrive in Croatia to aid in their defense.

15 December, 1511 – I offer Bosnia a white peace and they decline.

23 December, 1511 – Hungary wins a battle in Dalmatia against Croatia.

1 January, 1512 – We have captured Hum. I order my troops into Dalmatia. I order 1000 more troops built in Modena.

3 January, 1512 – Tunisia captured Tripolitania.

13 January, 1512 – Bosnia offers us peace for the entire alliance and they pay us six ducats. I accept. I order more troops built in Parma. One war down.

27 January, 1512 - Our army arrives in Dalmatia and begins to fight Hungary for the province.

31 January, 1512 – We force the Hungarians out of Dalmatia and have broken their siege!

1 February, 1512 – I order my leader at the head of my 3000 best infantry to head over to Ferrara and break the siege.

5 February, 1512 – More Hungarians arrive in Dalmatia to fight my remaining troops here.

10 February, 1512 – My troops arrive in Ferrara to fight the Bohemians.

22 February, 1512 – Algiers sends us a peace offer and we pay them 4 ducats to be at peace with their entire alliance including Tunis. I agree. Two wars down.

23 February, 1512 – My troops have lost the Battle of Dalmatia and are retreating to Ragusa to regroup.

6 March, 1512 – We drive the Bohemians out of Ferrara.

16 March, 1512 – Some Hungarian troops arrived in Ferrara only be to savaged and sent back in three days.

31 March, 1512 – Our 1000 new troops building in Modena have joined our army.

10 June, 1512 – Ragusa declared war against the Ottomans. They have asked me to join them. Nope, if they have gotten delusions of grandeur, I’ll not support that.

11 July, 1512 – I have an almost 3k army arrive from Ferrar at Ragusa, join them up with the remnants left over from the previous battle, and order them into Dalmatia.

26 July, 1512 – We defeated Hungary in the Adriatic Sea.

3 September, 1512 – We force the Hungarians out of Dalmatia again

There have been a large number of skirmishes in Northern Italy with my troops and opposing forces.

It’s becoming obvious that I am going to lose this war with Hungary. I cannot stab them in the back because they are landlocked. They keep my main force pinned down and are harassing my Northern Italian provinces and forces at will. I need to find an exit strategy.

4 October, 1512 – I lost a ship running the Hungarian boat gauntlet in the Adriatic but brought my beleaguered Italian forces to Dalmatia. All of my forces are here.

4000 opposing troops are besieging Parma. I need to similarly hit my opponent in the mouth in order to get neutral in this war.

5 January, 1513 – We lost 1200 troops but defeated Hungary at the province of Croatia. We begin a siege.

1 March, 1513 – Athens is now part of our Patrimony and is a core province.

21 March, 1513 – Parma falls.

9 May, 1513 – We breach the walls of Croatia province and I order a full scale assault.

11 May, 1513 – As we assault the walls of Croatia, Hungary offers us a white peace on behalf of their entire alliance for our entire alliance. I accept. The third war ends.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:11 PM   #71
st.cronin
General Manager

All heck breaks loose!

knives out
Old 03-06-2007, 11:16 PM   #72
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Holy crap!
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:19 PM   #73
st.cronin
General Manager

We're gonna need a new map after all that, I think.

knives out
Old 03-06-2007, 11:24 PM   #74
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah wow, busy year...
Old 03-06-2007, 11:38 PM   #75
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

To be fair, in no cases did land change. I'll get you that map though

Old 03-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #76
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Here's teh new map. A few things. Genoa has expanded, and Savoy is down to that one pink province to my north east. The French minors have come in and taken over. Also, Ragusa is now Ottoman. The Bohemian provinces in former Transylvania are just a satellite of the full country to the north.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-06-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:15 AM   #77
Kobeck
n00b

how did Naxos avoid losing territory when Tunisia captured Tripolitania?

also nobody thought twice about attacking the leader of the HRE? Isn't there some sort of penalty for doing that?

And thanks for the info about Bohemia, I am no early European scholar, but even I know Bohemia was near modern Germany

Last edited by Kobeck : 03-07-2007 at 12:21 AM.
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #78
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Just because you capture a province doesn't mean you get it in peace negotiations. I captured both Scilian provinces when fihgting Aragon, but only was able to take one. I captured Hum, the southern Bosnia province, but only accepted gold for peace, the same is true of Algiers/Tunisia/Morocco. They captured Tripolitania, but only demanded gold for peace, which I readily accepted.

I don;t think there is a penalty for attacking the HRE, especially by these guys. They didn;t attack me, but my allies.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #79
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Progress Goes Before A Fall

24 May, 1513 – Ragusa falls and they are annexed by the Ottomans.

15 July, 1513 – A new Galley that I ordered built has been constructed in Naxos.

9 September, 1513 – Castille accepted a white peace with Algiers.

9 October, 1513 – The Mamluks and the Ottomans are finally at peace after years of fighting. The final exchange? The Mamluks ship 83 ducats to the Ottomans, and both countries are riled with rebellions with the war exhaustion.

1 November, 1513 – Our stability increased to max.

3 March, 1514 – I accept a royal marriage from Bavaria

25 May, 1514 – I accept a royal marriage from Saxony.

11 June, 1514 – I accept a royal marriage from Mazovia.

16 June, 1514 – We get an event:

One of our Advisors Publishes a Great Work:

Aniketos Ghisi publishes a major work, The Spirit of Laws, that could get great renown. I have two options:

His Efforts will be Admired Throughout the Nation: +3 stability (wow) and a major tech gain for government tech over the next few years.

His Efforts Will Bring Glory to the World: +5 prestige, same tech gain bonus.

I choose number two, since we are already stable.

18 July, 1514 – France and her vassals declare war on Portugal. Aragon joins the war.

1 August, 1514 – I offer Royal Marriage to Castille and they accept.

1 July, 1515 – Our government tech increased again. One more increase and we hit our next national idea.

21 September, 1515 – We enter into a royal marriage with Lithuania.

22 September, 1515 – A white peace between France and Aragon has been reached.

1 March, 1516 – Our government tech increased to five! We can now get our second national idea. Here are my serious options:

1) Quest for the New World – Get explorers and Conquistadors and explore the world, followed by colonizations!
2) Military Drill – 50% morale to all of our armies permanently. Many land based European countries have this already. It’s pretty good in land war.
3) National Trade Policy – Trade efficiency increases by 10%. This would give us some extra money each year.
4) Deus Vult – We no longer require a Casus Belli to declare war against a country with a different religion.

I toss out Deus Vult and Quest quickly. They are nice, but not needed, certainly not now. Getting extra dough and getting extra morale are both useful. After consideration, I take the Military Drill. It helps a lot against countries with out, and brings us back to the table against those with it.

24 July, 1516 – Savoy was annexed by Genoa.

1 August, 1516 – Our government tech increased.

1 July, 1517 – I fire our advisor Athananasios D’Anoe, a philosopher who helps our Production Tech. He’s 17 years into his job. I hire Omar Beli. He’s twice as good and just seven years into his career.

22 July, 1517 – Time to change one of our sliders. It’ll drop our stability but help us in the long run. I move us one more towards Offensive. Now our leaders will always get one extra shock value in combat. Our stability drops, but the HRE investment will hopefully curtail that.

17 December, 1517 – We enter a royal marriage with Burgundy.

15 January, 1518 – Venice declared war upon Genoa.

14 March, 1518 – We enter into a royal marriage with Wurttemberg

1 April, 1518 – Our government tech increases.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-07-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #80
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Experiences Repeated

11 December, 1518 – Castille declared war upon Algiers. Tunisa and Morocco joined Algiers. I join Castille again.

19 January, 1519 – Venice defeated Genoa and won two provinces.

10 March, 1519 – We defeated Tunisia in Gabes.

17 March, 1519 – I lose my Galley in a quick exchange with Tunisian fleets. I now have around 5500 troops in Gabes including my leader. I march to Tunis itself.

19 April, 1519 – We defeat a Tunisian army in Tunis. Around 1000 opposing troops have slipped behind our line and are besieging Tripolitania. They came from the province(s) I can’t see.

13 June, 1519 – Portugal declares war upon Morocco. Algiers joins Morocco. Aragon and England join Portugal. I won’t have to worry about help from Tunisia’s allies on m front of the war now.

9 July, 1519 – 2000 troops I detatch from Tunis arrived in Tripolitania and broke the siege.

30 August, 1519 – We capture Tunis.

11 October, 1519 – We again defeat Tunisian troops in Gabes and recapture the province.

15 October, 1519 – We get another Press Boundary Dispute issue. This time we gain core provinces on two Turkish Greek provinces, Janina and Salonica, and our relations with the Ottomans thus drop 60.

1 November, 1519 – Venice declared war on Austria. Their ally Burgundy joins against Venice.

1 January, 1520 – I order a workshop built in Athens.

3 January, 1520 – I send a peace offer to Algiers demanding 50 ducats for peace. They accept and send us the money.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #81
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

So the only way you can see the dark countries would be to get either conquistidors or an explorer? In the future will new tech's open up that will allow you to see more of the map?

What areas are available for you to start a game with? Is it just Europe, Africa and Asia?
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:09 AM   #82
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Victory and Victory

With my war victory money, I order another Workshop built in Modena.

6 March, 1520 – I accept a royal marriage offer from Wurttemberg

11 March, 1520 – I accept a royal marriage from France.

15 June, 1520 – The event that gave us additional government tech bonus from our advisor’s seminal work has ended.

1 July, 1520 – Our land tech increased.

1 October, 1520 – Our government tech increased.

7 December, 1520 – Siena declared war against Venice and the Papal States left their alliance with Siena.

31 December, 1520 – Tunisia accepted peace terms with Castille and gave up Gabes and some province inland I can’t see, so Castille are now our neighbors. I think I misplayed it by accepting peace so soon. Had we held onto the Tunisian, land, Castille would not have been able to have gotten it for themselves. We probably will never take that land from Castille, but we can cherry pick Tunisia.

Now, Tunis province is, I believe, the final province of Tunisia. It’s a cheap grain province but the taxbase is nice with over 125000 people there. I’ll look at taking it down later.

14 January, 1521 – Castille got five provinces from Morocco in a peace accord. Castille is now a North African power of significance.

27 February, 1521 – Venice gave up two provinces to Austria for peace.

1 September, 1521 – My reputation has decreased from tarnished to slightly tarnished.

Since I am currently able to be a but more aggressive in getting land, I take a look around. I have a Casus Belli on

The Papal States (I have Romagna as a core province)
Venice (I have four provinces as cores, including Venice itself)
Tuscany (I have cores on both of her provinces)
Ottomans (I have cores on two upper Greece provinces)
Denmark – Don’t know why
Bohemia – Don’t know why

Well, I’m not starting a war with the Ottomans. That’s just stupid. I’m allied with Tuscany, so that’s a no go. Denmark and Bohemia I don’t have any core provinces on, and they are too far away.

That leavesVenice and the Papal States. Romagna is a solid province, adjacent to the south of Ferrara. The Papal States just have two provinces – it’d be an easy war geographically, and they currently have no allies. I just did a float by with my navy. They only have 1000 infantry in Romagna – an easy capture. But they have 3000 calvary and 2000 infantry in Roma.

Venice is tempting. They have far flung provinces like Crete and Corfu that I could hit easily. They are already at war with Siena, although its not much of one. They have no allies either. Lombardia, a province on which I have a core, is a great province from a financial perspective, with over 200000 people as well as cloth as its main export. Plus, the culture Lombard is my main these days, with Greek as second, accepted culture. Lombardia is Lombard (Romagna, the Papal province, on the other hand is Umbrian, which, like Sicilian, is related to Lombard, so just a -10% drop, but still worse that Lombard).

Venice has 4400 troops, 2400 of which are infantry, sitting in Mantua, just north of my provinces. They also have a higher land tech than the Papal States. There are a few provinces I can’t see that could be hiding troops. Venice would be a tougher fight.

With a greater prize.

Slowly, for the future, I’ll move all of my troops to Northern Italy over the next month or two.

13 December, 1521 – There are no Venetian troops in either Crete or Corfu.

1 January, 1522 – I’ve found 3000 more Venetians, 2000 of which are calvary. They are marching back from their Savoy provinces. I order some troops built.

7 February, 1522 – I now have two regiments of troops stationed in my fleet off the coast of Crete, ready to land.

The Venice Strategy:

1). Take Crete relatively unopposed. Then move this army to Corfu. Taking these provinces jacks up my warscore – how well I’ve done. The higher the score, the more I can get in peace negotiations.

2). Smash my main forces into Lombardia, besiege and take it.

3). Then play defense on those armies that penetrated my Italian provinces and are besieging me.

4). After that, take Venezia proper.

5). Hope that Croatia and Tuscany attack it, and that Castille joins in order to scare them and maybe win a naval battle or two.

With four provinces under my control, including Lombardia, it should be easy for me to get Lombardia, and maybe another province of my cores or captured groups.

That’s the battle plan. Now I just wait a time to operate it.

15 May, 1522 – I jack up my ground military funding.

1 July, 1522 – My troops are in position. The funding has increased. I am ready.

However, after seeing even more troops, I do not believe I can defeat Venice. I currently see a total of 12000 people in the Italian provinces, much more than I have.

So the Papacy it is.

28 July, 1522 – I declare war upon the Papal States.

Tuscany joins us, as does Castille, but not Croatia. I thought Castille might sit this one out, so I’m pleasantly surprised, but I was hoping Croatia would join us and that was not to be the case.

I order my large army to Roma and the small one to hold ground in Modena.

1 August, 1522 – Our stability goes back up from the hit it just took.

15 September, 1522 – Algiers gave up five provinces to Castille.

1 October, 1522 – After a very costly battle, we defeat the Papal troops in Roma.

1 November, 1522 – Tripolitania is not a part of our patrimony and we will defend it completely. It is now a core province.

12 December, 1522 – After an assault, we have captured Roma.

1 January, 1523 – Our production tech increased.

26 February, 1523 – I accept a royal marriage from Sweden

1 March, 1523 – After rallying my troops in Tuscany, I order them to march to Romagna.

5 May, 1523 – After a mammoth battle during which each side lost over 4000 troops, we finally defeat the Papal troops and begin the Siege of Romagna.

2 June, 1523 – The Papal States accept our offer of peace for Romagna!

Romagna:

93483 people work the salt trade here in this Umbrian Catholic province south of Ferrara and south east of Modena. They make around 21 ducats annually for us in taxes and production, although that includes that +50 from War taxes currently in effect. There is no nationalism here, because they are a core province. This province has a temple, workshop and university.

The workshop and temple are of small value, but I want to impress how valuable a University is. It costs around 1500 ducats to build one. I now have three, all captured. It gives an annually income bonus, a significant monthly increase to my governmental tech advancement, and a minor population growth increase as well for the province. All in all, it’s very valuable to capture one.

Because it was a core province, and because we didn;t annex our foe, our reputation did not that that major of a hit, and we can still play the mad land taker later.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-08-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:11 AM   #83
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
So the only way you can see the dark countries would be to get either conquistidors or an explorer? In the future will new tech's open up that will allow you to see more of the map?

What areas are available for you to start a game with? Is it just Europe, Africa and Asia?

All of Europe, coastal North Africa but not inland, the near Middle East, Russia and the steppes, Mecca, that's it. Other European countries, like the Iberians, probably have different lands available to see.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:56 PM   #84
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Catching One's Breath

22 July, 1523 – Venice and Siena are now at peace.

29 October, 1523 – I accept a royal marriage from Poland.

1 January, 1524 – I order 1000 calvary built in Romagna. These are Stradioti Calvary, a special unit available to me as a Greek that are light and have great morale and shock value.

11 April, 1524 – We enter into a royal marriage with Burgundy. To make this post earlier, from now on, I’ll do it like this “RM: Burgundy.” Fair enough?

15, April, 1524 – Venice and Genoa are at war. Again.

11 June, 1524 – Aragon declared war against us.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #85
SFL Cat
College Starter

Time to overrun Italy!
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #86
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wrestling 24 Hours with an Angel

Both Castille and Tuscany honor our alliance. Excellent. With Iberian power Castille attacking Aragon, we should have some breathing room in the Mediterranean. My years of planning may be coming to fruition.

Portugal and Burgundy joined Aragon.

The good: I haven’t jacked down my maintenance since my last war. I was rebuilding my devastated armies, so morale is up and I just built 1000 calvary. I have three regiments in Messina ready to move into Palermo.

The bad: Aragon is still a better country than us militarily.

I order my armies into Ancona and Palermo.

4 July, 1524 – We win in Palermo.

30 July, 1524 – After a long struggle, we win in Ancona.

1 September, 1524 – A large Burgundian force arrives in parma and begins a siege of us.

2 September, 1524 – We drive away an assault force from Palermo, but I don’t think we can keep winning down there without reinforcements.

I order another 1000 troops built in Modena.

20 September, 1524 – I win a naval battle in the Straits of Messina.

1 December, 1524 – Our trade tech increased.

6 December, 1524 – We defeat the Aragonese navy in the Sea of Liguria. I’m sending two regiments around the back to assist in Palermo. Messina is about to fall from the remnants of several Aragon assaults, but the combined forces from that assault are fairly strong.

25 December, 1524 – My troops arrive in Palermo.

1 January, 1525 – I order another 1000 calvary built and I send 1000 troops from the siege in Ancona to ships off the coast of Tuscany, to head to Sardinia and do a behind the scene siege there.

12 January, 1525 – Messina falls to the Aragonese.

14 January, 1525 – Palermo falls to us.

10 February, 1525 – Portugal offers us peace for us paying 24 ducats. Nothing doing.

26 February, 1525 – We capture Ancona. We are now in a pretty dominate position, since Burgundy has yet to take Parma, although it is about to fall. If I can drive peace through Aragon, I might have a chance at getting a good peace settlement early.

I send a peace for Palermo, and they reject it.

28 February, 1525 – My regiment lands in Sardinia and begin a siege here.

12 March, 1525 – I get a peace offer from Aragon. The entire war stops, they renounce their claims on Messina and Malta, and we get 2 ducats.

Let’s stop and assess:

I’ve captured Palermo and Ancona.

I’ve lost Messina. I’m about to lose Parma.

My main army is headed to another Aragonese province in Italy, and thence to Napoli or stay there and besiege the place.

No, I’m going to stay firm. I think I am going to win this war. I set up my allies just to win this war. This is one I’m going to see through.

29 March, 1525 – We drive the Aragon forces out of Abbruzzi and begin a siege? Or head to Napoli? I order my troops on to Napoli. That’s where my opposing forces are headed, and I want to hit them while they are demoralized.

14 April, 1525 – We drive them out of Napoli. Keep following or begin a siege? I decide to follow them back to Abbruzzi. Hit them again.

29 April, 1525 – We defeated them in Abbruzzi again.

8 May, 1525 – I get a new peace offer from Aragon identical to the last. I reject it.

11 May, 1525 – My new calvary are built. I order them to my lines.

14 May, 1525 – I decline another Portugese offer of peace for my ducats.

28 May, 1525 – Sardinia falls before us!

1 June, 1525 – Parma falls to Burgundy. Before the forces there can get out. A force of Rebels attack them. They’ll win, but it slows them down.

3 June, 1525 – Francisco IV dies. Francisco V secedes him. Our stability drips with the changeover in leader. Francisco V is elected Holy Roman Emperor, he has a 6 in admin, 8 in diplomacy, and 8 in military. Even better than his father!

20 June, 1525 – My regiment from Sardinia arrives in Palermo. I order my king as a general, and to Palermo. He’s about to lead his first battle as king. He’s a great general! I order 1000 calvary fromt eh Napoli siege to break off and join the attack on Messina.

1 July, 1525 – Our stability increases.

8 August, 1525 – We won in Messina.

8 September, 1525 – I reject another Aragonese peace offer. The Castillians were stupid enough to let Portugal capture Andalucia. That dropped the warscore tremendously.

10 September, 1525 - A few Burgundy troops arrive in Modena and begin a siege.

8 November, 1525 – I get a boundary dispute event, and I get a Core province on Ancona.

11 November, 1525 – I get a peace offer from Portugal. They will go to peace with our entire alliance and pay us 4 ducats. I accept. Now Castille can concentrate on just Aragon

6 December, 1525 – Austria declared war against the Teutonic Order. Why is this a big deal? Burgundy is Austria’s ally and joins the war.

6 January, 1526 – We recapture Messina!

8 March, 1526 – After a long siege, we assault and capture Napoli.

9 March, 1526 – Aragon accepted my peace offer for Palermo and Napoli!

Palermo – The other province in Sicily, 115040 people work the wine trade here. The Catholic and Sicilian people here make us around 14.4 ducats annually, split almost evenly between trade and tax. Palermo has a workshop.

Napoli – The prize of the war, and one of the best plums available in the area. 283548 people work the wine trade here – almost 300,000! The Catholic Sicilians make us around 17 ducats annually, again split almost evenly into tax revenue and production revenue. They have a workshop and a marketplace.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #87
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Time to overrun Italy!

I've realized that Italy is my ticket to greatness and wealth. It's provinces are typically much more wealthy than the relative scraps in Greece. Plus, the powers here are eligible to be taken out, as opposed to say, the Turks.

Oh, and because we took those provinces in a defensive war, our badboy is still okay.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-08-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #88
Izulde
Head Coach

Nice work! So the Mediterranean's basically becoming a three way dance between you, Castile, and the Ottomans it looks like.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:09 AM   #89
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Nice work! So the Mediterranean's basically becoming a three way dance between you, Castile, and the Ottomans it looks like.

And Mamluks. Aragon is still a power too, it took me and Castille and Tuscany to take them out int eh last war, remember.

Ironically, I'm adjacent, land wise, to all four other major powers (Tripolitania borders the Mamluks on the east side, Castille on the West, Napoli is surrounded by Aragon, and of course, the Turks are adjacent to Athens and Morea).

There are questions though. Can I strike and take the gems provinces? Genoa's Liguria and Venice's Venezia would be among the wealthiest provinces in Europe, and both are adjacent to my territory, but both are capitals. Wars need to reduce Venice and Genoa down to one province nations before i can jump in and take them.

Targets:

Croatia - Our old ally is now just a bum on the Adriatic Sea. They are still one province, and we could swiftly take them

Tunisia - Tunisia is down to one provine, Tunis, which has over 100k people as a nice tax base.

Siena - If I want to keep expanding in Italy, one province Siena has been hanging around for a long time.

Cyprus - I could try to restore relations with our Protestant vassal,, and then try to diplo-annex them.

Tuscany - Their value as a buffer state between me and Aragon and in war with the Papacy has diminished. Beacuse of their form of government, I can't give them a royal marriage, and as such, I can never ask them to become our vassals. They came may come to attack this two province nation.

Venice - I wanted to go to war with Venice before and grab some territory. I was afraid of their military. Now, my army is built up more. If I could catch Venice in a war and stab them from behind, I think I could grab some tasty provinces. Stuff better than Crete or Corfu.

If I could change capitals, I'd consider Ferrara or Napoli.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-09-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:56 AM   #90
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A Harvest of Eternity

13 March, 1526 – I accept a royal marriage offer from ally Castille.

1 May, 1526 – Our government tech increases. We can choose a new national idea!

What idea do I want? This could be my last idea for a while, so I need to make a good choice.

Quest for the new World: It’d be useful to start surveying this world that we live in. I’ve seen Venice send out colonists, so I know that they are involved in this process. On the other hand, I could not make any conquistadors or explorers right now, because I have no colonists. I have no colonists because my sliders don’t allow me to get any. In other words, if I want to explore and colonize, I need to change my sliders around. The next time I can move a slider is in 7 years or so. However, if I want to do this later, I’ll have to wait until my next national idea. The only reason I had this massive growth in governmental tech was because of my amazing advisor and the book he published. He’s starting to get old, however, and this won’t continue for much longer. It could be 50-75 years before my next national idea. If I don’t take this now, I may not get a chance to get it before the colonization is too far along for me to have any impact.

Deus Vult: If I want to go to massive war against the infidels, this will help. To be frank, I could take it right now, and then attack Tunis. One of the things holding me back is the -2 stability I get to attack Tunis. Take this, and I’ll have Tunis in less than a year. Then I’d have it for the rest of the game. However, with the recent hits that Morocco, Algiers and Tunis too against Castille, do I want this that badly? I already have a CB on the Ottomans after I got two cores in upper Greece. Do I want it to attack the Mamluks or something? It goes well with QFNW above, allowing me to attack native nations for free, but that’s not that great.

National Trade Policy - +10% trade efficiency. It’d be great to get more money from my merchants, but I don’t have that many out there. Many trading posts have nations that trade there that I can’t see, so I can’t make trade agreements with. That includes Thrace, Andulusia, Lisboa, the Dutch one whose name I can’t recall, and Alexandra. I have merchnts in Ligurian, Venezia, Lubeck and Novgorod. With that limitation, this is much less attractive.

National Bank – Inflation reduction 0.10%. I really feel like I may have an inflation problem soon, because I have had to increase my money to pay for my military, and that brings inflation with it. My inflation is nearly 6%. On the other hand, I can probably wait on this one.

Bureaucracy – National tax modifier +5%. In all of my provinces? This seems like a serious money maker.

Engineer Corps – Leader siege value +1. If my land tech wallows too far behind, then people will build bigger and bigger forts. I’d need a way to crack these nuts. That hasn’t happened yet, however, but I want to keep an eye on this.

After consideration, I take Quest for the New World, knowing that I won’t do anything with it for maybe 20 years. But I’ll have it when I do need it.

3 August, 1526 – The Papal States, with their mighty one province, declare war on Genoa, with more than one province.

14 August, 1526 – I check and Genoa is in a seriously losing war with Venice, I think the Papacy just wanted to hop on.

18 October, 1526 – Siena declares war against Genoa. Wurzberg joins Siena. Everybody little power with delusions of grandeur is attacking Genoa right now.

18 January, 1527 – Lithuania annexed Mazovia, which was one of the countries who liked us best.

1 February, 1527 – I get another event. Again it’s the Regulation of the Medical Industry. I choose to use it now, because we can’t get more innovative. Morea, for the next 500 days, gets a +10% population growth. As of right now, the population is 9050. We’ll come back in two years and check on it.

14 February, 1527 – I get another event. Merchants Harassed. This is against Venice. I choose to settle the issue and our relations jump 50.

13 March, 1527 – I accept a royal marriage offer from Silesia.

1 April, 1527 – My armies are built back up after the Aragonian war. I drop my maintenance in half.

24 April, 1527 – I accept a royal marriage from England.

1 May, 1527 – I am still looking for ways to expand. I send out two diplomats. One to Genoa and one to Tunisia. What do they say? The one to Tunisia carries an insult. Maybe I’ll tick them off enough to attack me. The one to Genoa carries a guarantee, that anyone who attacks them I’ll get a Casus Belli for a few years.

1 June, 1527 – Well, that didn’t appear to war. Tunis didn’t flinch and no one attacked Genoa. Ah well.

13, June1527 – Someone declared war against Genoa! But it was Tuscany. I decide to take this opportunity to thank them for their time, but we need to go our separate ways now.

31 July, 1527 – RM: Poland. Sorry, forgot the abbreivaition.

25 August, 1527 – An alliance offer from Saxony arrives. They are strong, but I’m not that interested in landlocked allies from Germany.

1 November, 1527 – The Modena provinces, Parma, Modena and Ferrara are now core parts of our nation.

I just got a crazy idea, now that I’m down to one ally. My relations with the Ottomans are neutral. If I jacked up our relations, would they want to be allies with us? I’ve always feared the Ottomans, but maybe we can be friends?

29 December, 1527 – RM: Lithuania. Our relations are maxed.

1 January, 1528 - I order a workshop built in Parma.

26 May, 1528 – I decline an alliance offer from Wurzberg.

2 June, 1528 – Aragon declared war against Genoa. Burgundy and Portugal join. Aragon needs to gobble up more land after they lost some to me, I suspect.

22 August, 1528 – RM: Sweden

25 September, 1528 – I decline an alliance offer from Utrecht. They are a Netherlands power with 6 or 7 provinces in that area – very naval but too far north.

1 February, 1528 – Two years after the event that increased population growth in Morea and we are now at 9318. Not much of a growth spurt, that.

1 August, 1528 – Cyprus just had a major rebel event and are now besieged by almost 3k rebels.

16 September, 1529 – I get an alliance offer from Tuscany. I consider, and then decline.

28 December, 1529 – The rebels capture Cyprus and force them back to Catholic. Good for them! Cyprus’s relations with me jack back up.

31 December, 1529 – I have offered Cyprus annexation, and they have accepted. Cyprus is under siege by rebels, so I need to lift this, before I can tell you what they are like here.

27 January, 1530 – Genoa has given up nice. I expect Aragon will take Corsica and the Black Sea province, leaving just Liguria. In preparation for this, I will be moving some of my troops from Sicily to North Italy.

16 February, 1520 – We blast the rebels from Cyprus. Let’s take a look at our new province:

Cyprus: The Greek and Orthodox people here live in the shadow of the Turks and Mamluks. 16797 people work the wine trade here, making around 10.27 ducats annually. There is already a workshop here, or I would have ordered one built. This province came to us long ago from a gift of 50 ducats to our estate which we turned into amazing relations with Cyprus, and then vassalized them. Now, decades later, they are annexed by us peacefully.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #91
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Great work!
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #92
atatange1
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
If I could change capitals, I'd consider Ferrara or Napoli.

I believe you can switch your capital in the save game file. And to make it fair you could drop your stability to -3 and take away most of your ducats. That should make it somewhat realistic and fair. Just a suggestion.

edit: forgot to say that this is a great read.

Last edited by atatange1 : 03-09-2007 at 04:15 PM.
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #93
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Harmonies Heard in Parts

13 July, 1530 – I reject an alliance from Wurzberg

23 July, 1530 - For some silly reason, Aragon accept a white peace with Genoa.

14 September, 1530 – Hungary declares war upon Bosnia. Croatia joins Bosnia.

3 October, 1530 – RM: Castille

19 July, 1531 – I decline another alliance offer from Utrecht.

6 September, 1531 – In a very foreseeable event, Croatia was annexed by Hungary.

1 December, 1531 – Our stability increased and is maxed.

11 December, 1531 – I order a workshop built in Naxos and Morea.

5 February, 1532 – I decline Denmark’s alliance offer.

14 March, 1532 – Lithuania offers us an alliance. I decline, but I thought about it for a
bit.

1 April, 1532 – Our naval tech increases.

1 May, 1532 – I decline an alliance offer from Saxony.

18 May, 1532 – Castille declared war upon Algiers. Tunisia and Morocco join. I join as well. This may be the last such war in North Africa.

I move my troops to Tunis.

29 May, 1532 – RM: Silesia

10 June, 1532 – Our first troops land in Tunis and begin the siege.

18 June, 1532 – I ask for and receive permission to move troops through Castille.

14 July, 1532 – 2000 more troops arrive in Tunis to help with the siege.

19 August, 1532 – I lose a boat in the Gulf of Gabes fighting the Tunisian navy. In other news, 2000 more troop landed in Tunis to help our cause. I order a Cog built in Naxos.

1 September, 1532 – Our government tech increases.

18 September, 1532 – After an assault, I capture Tunis.

1 November, 1532 – Messina and Malta are now core provinces of our nation.

6 December, 1532 – I reject a white peace from Algiers.

17 December, 1532 – Castille captures the Algiers capital and sole remaining province.

18 December, 1532 – A single day later, the Moroccan capital of Marrakech falls to Castillian forces. All three one province states are now in our hands.

12 January, 1533 – Algiers is annexed by Castille, and thus peace is made with Tunisia and Morocco.

18 February, 1533 – A new Cog is built in Naxos. I order another.

1 July, 1533 – I decline an alliance with Sweden.

30 July, 1533 – I can change our sliders! I move back one step away from Innovative. I moved one step too far, and now, although we still won’t get colonists, we won’t be as bad. Our stability drops.

19 August, 1533 – I again decline an alliance offer from Utrecht.

12 September, 1533 – Bohemia rejects our RM offer. Aragon accepts our offer. Austria declines us.

28 February, 1534 – I order a workshop built in Tripolitania.

14 April, 1534 – RM: Castille

Old 03-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #94
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Opportunities

4 May, 1534 – Hungary offers us an alliance. While I don’t want to get pulled into any land wars, this is also a good opportunity to step up relations with a neighbor, but I know that I ultimately will leave the alliance, and that makes them very pissed at you (-50 ) relations. If you don’t think relations will improve, look at us and Castille, up to 126. Sure, I’ll accept. Hungary and I are at -74. So its not like negative relations will hurt us that much.

1 July, 1534 – I order a 5th Cog built in Naxos.

20 August, 1534 – Hungary declares war upon Bohemia. I’m already done with this alliance and leave. It was obviously a mistake to ally with them.

23 August, 1534 – Tuscany annexed Siena.

14 November, 1534 – RM: Poland

7 December, 1534 – With their new acquisition, and the studied lack of any alternates, I accept an alliance offer from Tuscany.

13 March, 1535 – Our badboy reputation is almost completely gone. I need to find a target and acquire new territory. For now, I’ll try to remain the opportunist, but soon I may need to make my opportunities.

6 April, 1535 – Venice declared war on Genoa.

7 April, 1535 – Pskov declared war on Genoa.

15 December, 1535 – Crimea declared war on Genoa.

7 January, 1536 – Aragon declares war against the Papal States. Burgundy and Portugal join Aragon. Are they going to annex the Papacy? That’d be a ballsy move.

1 March, 1536 – Our land tech increases

15 February, 1537 – My badboy is now completely gone. I’m going to wait until the end of the Genoese wars, to see if they are eligible to be taken finally, and if not, Ill attack somewhere else.

2 March, 1537 – On a lark, I send out royal marriage proposals to all four Irish powers. Two accept, and two decline.

5 June, 1537 – Venice and Genoa are at peace. Crimea looks to be pushing in however.

3 August, 1537 – RM: France

1 October, 1537 – Our production tech increases. A level 3 merchant maker advisor arrives in Romagna and we have the exclusive rights to him for a year. I’m not impressed however, with the merchant maker.

10 December, 1537 – RM: Castille

25 December, 1537 – RM: Austria

1 January, 1538 – Western Arms Trade happened to us. Our prestige decreases -1% annually while 6 ducats are added to our land tech. I do not know for how long.

1 February, 1538 – Our government tech increases.

13 March, 1538 – RM: Poland

1 May, 1538 – A crappy level one diplomat making advisor arrives in Palermo. No Thanks.

21 June, 1538 – Aragon and the Papal States come to a white peace. No bullet was ever fired, no sword ever unsheathed.

9 July, 1538 - My opportunity may have arrived. Venice declared war upon Austria. Burgundy joined Austria. I order my African and Napoli forces to North Italy.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #95
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A Struggle Against History

1 November, 1538 - I sack land advisor Hasan Hersekli, who is 31 years into his job and only level one. I hire Ilhami Sokullu, a naval advisor who is twice as good and has just 21 years on him.

23 November, 1538 – I declare war on Venice. Our stability drops. Both of our allies join us.

I order my forces outside of Crete to land and begin a siege, and my main army to plunge into Lombardia.

1 December, 1538 – Our stability increases back to 2.

7 December, 1538 – We begin The Siege of Lombardia.

9 December, 1538 - Venice forces arrive in Ferrara and begin to besiege us.

19 December, 1538 – I agree to give Burgundy military access when they ask.

21 December, 1538 – The Siege of Crete begins.

1 January, 1539 – Our land tech increases. Lotsa stuff going on. Austria is besieging two Venetian provinces, Tuscany one, us one, and Venice one of ours.

5 January, 1539 – Aragon declares war against Tuscany. I agree to help them. War rages across Italy now. I’m at war with Burgundy and Portugal. Burgundy is at war with me and Venice, I’m at war with Venice and Burgundy and Venice is at war with me and Burgundy, and all of our forces are all over Venice.

I order some more troops built. I’m going to need some help.

8 February, 1539 – Crimea takes the two remaining Genoan provinces, and now Genoa is ripe for picking, and I’m in the middle of a two front war. Grrr.

21 February, 1539 – I defeat a major Burgundian army in Lombardia.

4 April, 1539 – I land some newly built troops on Corfu to beign a siege there. I need to win this war as fast as possible.

12 April, 1539 – Tuscany captures Mantua, the first enemy province to fall to us.

18 April, 1539 – Tuscany routs Venice from Ferrara breaking the siege on our North Italian “capital” so to speak.

19 April, 1539 – Crete falls to us.

I lost a ship in the Adriatic. I order another built in Naxos.

1 May, 1539 – 1000 Portugese troops land in Malta and begin a siege there.

24 May, 1539 – I hire a bunch of mercs in Napoli to hit Aragon when they aren’t looking.

13 June, 1539 – Our 4000 mercs arrive in Calabria and begin a siege.

2 August, 1539 – We capture Lombardia. I send a peace offer for Lombardia. Venice agrees and sends us Lombardia.

Now for our nemesis, Aragon.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-11-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:18 PM   #96
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Thought I'd let you know that I'm following and enjoying this dynasty immensely (since I know how it sucks to do one that has little feedback). Keep it up and good luck.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #97
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
Thought I'd let you know that I'm following and enjoying this dynasty immensely (since I know how it sucks to do one that has little feedback). Keep it up and good luck.

ditto, I'm very interested in this

knives out
Old 03-12-2007, 12:43 AM   #98
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Glad ta hear it fellas

Old 03-12-2007, 12:46 AM   #99
Groundhog
Coordinator

Put me down as another avid reader.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #100
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Well then, let me give you folks some more posts!

War Continued

I order my large troops in the north to break the small Aragonian siege in Romagna.

10 August, 1539 – RM: Saxony

19 August, 1539 – Malta falls to Portugal.

20 October, 1539 – We drive Aragon away from Romagna. I order my forces into Aragonian territory.

31 October, 1539 – Burgundian troops arrive in Lombardia to begin a siege.

8 November, 1539 – We crack the Aragon defense in Ancona.

25 November, 1539 – Bosnia was annexed by Hungary.

5 December, 1539 – I sneak three regiments to Sardinia to begin a siege there.

26 January, 1540 – Our Crete forces land in Malta and drive away the Portugese. The Re-Siege of Malta has begun.

1 March, 1540 – Two countries declare independence from Lithuania. Transylvania and Moldavia.

Also a level FOUR army reformer appeared in, of all place, Lombardia, the new province. I will hire him, but who to dump?

The naval guy is okay, but not great. He’s younger, but he’s the weakest of the lot. I fire him and hire Demosthenes Giustiniani. Very Italian that name.

10 March, 1540 – RM: Poland

30 March, 1540 – Lombardia falls to Burgundy. I order a large chunk of our forces back north while we besiege Aragon in numerous provinces.

1 April, 1540 – Our land tech increases.

19 April, 1540 – Burgundy arrives in Parma and begins a siege.

9 May, 1540 – Calabria falls to our mercs.

16 May, 1540 – The first peace offer from Aragon arrives. A white peace. I reject it.

19 May, 1540 – Our large army arrives in Parma to break the siege here by Burgundy.

5 June, 1540 – Venice declared war on Genoa. I will not let them get the prize of Liguria first.

12 June, 1540 – Our large forces drive back the Burgundians with ease at Parma.

I declare war on Genoa. Our stability drops by three to negative one. I order my force into Liguria. Tuscany and Castille join us.