Next one is this tuesday at 9, another one I'm looking forward to:

ESPN 30 for 30

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #52
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I just watched the latest documentary, entitled "June 17th, 1994". Best one I've seen yet. The OJ chase is one of those "I remember where I was" events, and I was out of the country at the time and had not seen much of this footage before ever. Its also ridiculous to me to think about all of the other things that were going on during the same day. I loved the way this documentary was done with no interviews, just an extended timeline of everything that was happening that day. So surreal.

I really liked it to, particularly, that documentary style.

In retrospect - it's odd to me that the OJ thing was SO huge. I was trying to think of the equivalent former athlete in the same role today. (It's tough because not many former athletes are in the public eye to that extent with the commercials and the movies.) I don't think it would be as big a story. Maybe because '94 was the peak of the pre-internet media world, and after that, we're just so overloaded with information that nothing can reach those heights.

Last edited by molson : 06-19-2010 at 11:26 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #53
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
In retrospect - it's odd to me that the OJ thing was SO huge. I was trying to think of the equivalent former athlete in the same role today. (It's tough because not many former athletes are in the public eye to that extent with the commercials and the movies.) I don't think it would be as big a story. Maybe because '94 was the peak of the pre-internet media world, and after that, we're just so overloaded with information that nothing can reach those heights.

Simmons and the director discuss a lot of these things in pretty awesome detail in the podcast I linked above. Barkley was one of the athletes today in a similar role that was mentioned, a great player in his time, still in the public eye, everyone loves him. There were a couple others brought up too that I forget.

The internet was a huge point of discussion as well, how would things have gone differently with twitter and the like. I assume public interest would have burned way hotter and faster and disgust with the whole proceeding would have set in way faster.

Last edited by Radii : 06-19-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #54
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson
In retrospect - it's odd to me that the OJ thing was SO huge.

I was 12 years old and remember being pissed that NBC kept interrupting the NBA Finals coverage so we could all watch OJ be driven down the freeway.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:40 AM   #55
spleen1015
Coordinator

I was working at Pizza Hut making pizza's while the OJ chase was going on. I only heard about it and saw footage later on the news.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #56
DeToxRox
Head Coach

They announced that the night of the Heisman they are doing a 30 for 30 on the SMU Death Penalty story. That is the one I cannot wait for.

But I do agree this past weeks was amazing. Loved the fact there was no narrator.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #57
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Guru of Go was my favorite one. Such a bizarre story and it was very well-told. Would have been easy to go over-the-top, but if anything they did the opposite.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #58
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I really liked it to, particularly, that documentary style.

Well look at how big the Chris Benoit thing was 3 years ago, and I wouldn't call him a major sports celebrity.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #59
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Guru of Go was one of my favorites. I also really found the Straight Outta LA episode pretty good. Al Davis didn't seem nearly as crazy as he's acted the past few years.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #60
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The OJ verdict was the first instance I remember of people using the web to learn about an anticipated news story as soon as it came out. I was walking down a hallway at college and one of the professors came out and announced the verdict.

15 years before that, we would have had to wait for the evening news to find out. Five years before that, we would have had to find a TV with CNN on it. Now, everyone would get the info on a smart phone.

I wonder how much more immediate information can get? Short of having Ted Turner beam information directly into a chip in my brain, I am not sure we can do much better than the smart phone.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #61
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
+1. The film with one of the most inherently interesting subjects felt the need to go the most over-the-top with the dramatization. It didn't work at all.
I was really looking forward to that one because I started my first fantasy baseball league in 1985 after I ready the first Rotisserie Baseball League book. There were great personalities and a good story and they really blew it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I just watched the latest documentary, entitled "June 17th, 1994". Best one I've seen yet. The OJ chase is one of those "I remember where I was" events, and I was out of the country at the time and had not seen much of this footage before ever. Its also ridiculous to me to think about all of the other things that were going on during the same day.
I know there was some criticism that they forced a bit into the day, particularly with the baseball strike. But I remember talking to a friend of mine in the afternoon even before the chase started talking about what a wild day it was with the players and owners going at it, Arnold Palmer at the Open, the World Cup, the NBA and NHL playoffs and OJ being charged with murder. That night with the chase going on and the basketball game, it was just absurd. One of the craziest days ever.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:13 AM   #62
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Did anyone catch the one tonight about Andres Escobar and the Colombia World Cup team in 1994? That was a pretty powerful piece, IMO, even putting aside the somewhat ridiculous hero-worship of Pablo Escobar.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #63
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Did anyone catch the one tonight about Andres Escobar and the Colombia World Cup team in 1994? That was a pretty powerful piece, IMO, even putting aside the somewhat ridiculous hero-worship of Pablo Escobar.

I saw it last night. Very good piece.

Sidenote: I found myself salivating over some of the highlights that they showed. Brilliant stuff.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #64
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I liked "Silly Little Game". I thought it was suitably silly for a microscopic part of the sports landscape (which itself is pretty small in the grand scheme of things). "The Legend of Jimmy the Greek" is my favorite so far, followed by SLG, "Straight Outta L.A.", and "Run Ricky Run".

Looking forward to the ones about Charismatic (the horse), Marion Jones, and Marcus Dupree ("The Best That Never Was").
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #65
whomario
Pro Starter

Guru Of Go was the favourite of the ones i got to see, the one on Gretzky propably the weakest.

Just googled it again and found that Steve Nash has made one of the films (Into The Wind). Interesting to see that his little youtube-videos really are just the tip of the iceberg, aparently he´s really investing time in filmmaking.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #66
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Just caught up on "June 17th, 1994". That's just a great hour of television.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:57 AM   #67
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I caught up with Run Ricky Run, and really really enjoyed it, thought it was a fantastic window into Ricky's life.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #68
AgustusM
College Prospect

Great

Two Escobars - well done story that I didn't know anything about

Winning Time - made my 12 year old sit an watch with me. the sequence of free throws was the best example of athletes and pressure I have ever seen.

Without Bias - another one I made my oldest watch with me. Cautionary tale that I remember vividly. I was 20 when Bias died and I remember the dramatic effect it had on all my friends.

Good

June 17th, 1994 - I remember the day very well, but as I was in my 20's then I missed out on a lot of the other things like the Arnold Palmer story line. Though it was well done and interesting way it was done. My only real critique was OJ was so over covered, that it would be a bit like watching a movie titled "Will Farve retire?" 15 years from now

Guru of Go - I liked this one a lot. Loved watching LM basketball back in the day. Still cried when I saw Hank drop.

OK

No Crossover - never much of an AI fan and the doc definitely raises a lot of questions about the trial and the motivations of the prosecution. But really didn't change my perception of AI either. He is, who I thought he was.

Kings Ransom - love hockey, knew the story. Not sure I learned all that much

Small Potatoes - Trump is a egotistical, insecure p***k. Pretty much knew that already and now I know he killed the USFL as well.

Legend of Jimmy the Greek - Interesting, glad a watched it, but unlike many of the other stories was overwhelmingly compelling.

The U - never liked the U, movie did an excellent job of reminding me why

Hated

Silly Little Game - I grew up at this time, read about rotisserie in middle school and played for decades. Already knew the basic story, but the absurd silly way that went about telling the story was awful and ridiculous.

on DVR haven't got to yet

16th man - the "real" Invictus story - looking forward to it, because I liked the outline of the story, but thought the movie was bad. Hoping to see a better telling of the basic story.

Run Ricky Run - heard good things, might watch it today
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #69
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I really liked the 16th Man (South African rugby team). Much better than the movie, which was really hampered by focusing on Freeman/Mandela at the expense of the players other than the captain. One of my favorites along with the Two Escobars. The U was fun as a shameless celebration of the culture. Ricky Williams is interesting because he was thrown into a spotlight he never wanted due to being a physical specimen, but he wasn't saying anything I haven't heard other introverted stoners saying. I find Allen Iverson fascinating, but thought No Crossover could have been better if it was more about Iverson - the old videos of him were much more interesting than the director trying to analyze his dead father's thoughts on the situation.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #70
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I finally caught 'The Two Escobars' on my DVR the other night, and enjoyed it a lot. Very well done.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #71
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I finally caught 'The Two Escobars' on my DVR the other night, and enjoyed it a lot. Very well done.

i kept thinking, "how do i not know this story".....

some of that stuff really blew me away...
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #72
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I really liked it too. Loved the ending when they tied a lot of it together even more. How if Pablo Escobar was still alive, Andres would probably be too.

My only gripe is that I thought it was a bit long. Probably would have been perfect at 90 minutes. But either way, another great doc in the series. I sort of wish they'd keep the format and do 5-10 of these a year.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:08 AM   #73
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark44 View Post
i kept thinking, "how do i not know this story".....

some of that stuff really blew me away...

I remember the very barest details at the time, just that some Colombian guy got shot by gangsters after giving up an own goal at the world cup, but I was also pretty clueless to the story, and had either forgotten or never known that the WC was in the US at the time, that they were playing and lost to the US team, the talent level of the Colombian team, and that Andres was the captain of the team. I also kept repeatedly having to rectify that it was only ~15 years ago...the crappy, dark Colombian film stock (and crappy, dark Colombia at the time) and the last days of the heyday of cocaine made it feel so 80s.

Also, as miami fan noted, I was totally impressed by some of those highlights. Who wouldn't have gone nuts over that team?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #74
Swaggs
Coordinator

I saw the first half of Unmatched (w/ Chris Evert and Martina Navratolova sp?) last night and really enjoyed it. DVRed the rest of it and looking forward to seeing the modern part.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #75
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Watched it on and off last night and enjoyed it too. It was a very candid, fun chat between two competitors and friends.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #76
whomario
Pro Starter

Highly recommend you guys watch the next episode, named Once Brothers. Focusses on the break up on the yugoslavian National team (which might have been able to give the US a run for their money in 92, at least had come much closer than anybody else) and Divac and Petrovic in particular.
Airs on Tuesday at 8 ET.
ESPN 30 for 30
ESPN Films and NBA Entertainment Present Once Brothers | ESPN MediaZone

obviously haven´t watched it, but know enough of the backstory that i can´t imagine it not being very interesting.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 10-08-2010 at 02:55 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #77
Ramzavail
College Starter

Already have it ready to be DVR'd. I was a huge Drazen fan and I can't wait for it.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #78
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, I've been waiting for that episode ever since it was announced.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #79
MikeVic
Head Coach

Once Brothers was fascinating. I'm not sure if it's because I'm half Croatian and saw from my dad how intense the Serbian/Croatian split really was, or if it was just good film-making. Must have been brutal on Divac.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #80
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Fernando "El Toro" Valenzuela.

Pretty good one. This series has been very enjoyable.

I just recently noticed, even though I am not a Dodger fan at all, my two favorite pitchers of all time are Valenzuela and Hideo Nomo.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #81
cmp
Pro Rookie

The Marcus Dupree story was pretty good tonight.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #82
Groundhog
Coordinator

I only just watched Once Brothers last night. Holy shit, that was great. I have a whole new appreciation of Divac now.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #83
RainMaker
General Manager

The Marion Jones one wasn't great, but pretty good. I had no idea she was playing in the WNBA.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #84
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
The Marcus Dupree story was pretty good tonight.

The look on Marcus' face when watching his high school clips towards the end = Amazing.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 11-09-2010 at 09:59 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #85
AFShadow
n00b

I really enjoyed the Marcus Dupree one. I remember him at OU when I was a kid and totally forgot about him. He was something.
AFShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #86
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Just a reminder that Pony Excess about SMU's death penalty is this Saturday after the Heisman presentation. Supposed to be up there with The U and the DuPree one for CFB fans.

PS - Fuck Craig James.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #87
Senator

Being a kid in the middle of it here, remember it well. Looking forward to it.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 12-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #88
RedKingGold
College Starter

I've been looking forward to "Pony Excess" since the 30-for-30 list was released.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #89
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Interesting timing for this one right after Cam Newton wins the award.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #90
AgustusM
College Prospect

Once Brothers and Marcus Dupree were both outstanding - I even liked the Tim Richmond quite a bit which is surprising because I don't know anything about NASCAR and had never heard of him before.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #91
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah same on the Tim Richmond one, I actively dislike NASCAR and had never heard his name before, but I liked that episode.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #92
sabotai
General Manager

I really liked the Dupree and Richmond ones, and Once Brothers was the best one so far IMO. Looking forward to Pony Excess.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #93
tarcone
Coordinator

I really enjoyed Once Brothers and the one about Valenzuela. I cant wait for the Pony Express.

I missed the one on Richmond. I would like to see that one.

I completely missed the Invictus story. Too bad, I love Rugby.

Last edited by tarcone : 12-07-2010 at 09:55 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #94
PilotMan
Head Coach

You can buy all 30 for 30 in a collection for 75 bucks. I have enjoyed them all so far. I just wish that I could have seen more of them.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:09 AM   #95
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You can buy all 30 for 30 in a collection for 75 bucks. I have enjoyed them all so far. I just wish that I could have seen more of them.

Would definitely be interested in that.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #96
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Pony Excess- I liked this show, but come on everyone at SMU was getting paid, but James and Dickerson never admitted anything?
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #97
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1409 View Post
Pony Excess- I liked this show, but come on everyone at SMU was getting paid, but James and Dickerson never admitted anything?
James also gives off the slimy politician vibe too when he came up during the program.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #98
tarcone
Coordinator

I liked how Dickerson handled it.

A good story. Lots of interesting characters. How did the Governor survive? Did he get re-elected?
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #99
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
James also gives off the slimy politician vibe too when he came up during the program.

Thats why I have to chuckle everytime James bitches about how PSU won the National Title in 82 and SMU didn't.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #100
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I liked how Dickerson handled it.

A good story. Lots of interesting characters. How did the Governor survive? Did he get re-elected?

He did. No one in the public tied him as anything more than a booster. Only when the facts came out, he was long gone.