Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #151
DeToxRox
Head Coach

ESPN Films and NBA Entertainment Present The Announcement Premiering March 11 on ESPN | ESPN MediaZone

Quote:
Documentary Focuses on Hall of Famer Magic Johnson and His News that Changed the World 20 Years Ago

When he was on the court, Earvin Johnson captivated fans with his awe-inspiring performances. He was “Magic.” But on November 7, 1991, the eyes of the world turned to The Forum in Inglewood, CA for reasons other than basketball. The perennial NBA All-Star and three-time MVP held a press conference in the building in which he led the Lakers to five NBA championships to announce he was HIV-positive. ESPN Films and NBA Entertainment look back 20 years at a moment that stunned the world with the documentary The Announcement premiering on ESPN/ESPN HD on Sunday, March 11, at 9 p.m. ET.

Directed by Nelson George, whose works include the critically-acclaimed HBO film Life Support, The Announcement is narrated by Magic Johnson, providing a unique perspective by telling the story in his own words. The documentary also contains riveting insights from the people closest to him including his wife Cookie, son Andre, longtime rival and friend Larry Bird, Los Angeles Lakers teammates James Worthy and Kurt Rambis, former Lakers general manager Jerry West, and longtime friend and agent Lon Rosen. NBA Commissioner David Stern, former NBA star Karl Malone, and close friends Chris Rock and Arsenio Hall also share their memories of that time and insights on the character of the man who put a new face on HIV and AIDS.

Now, more than 20 years after the announcement, George gets to the core of Magic’s incredible personal journey and explores how he continues to thrive two decades later, thanks in large part to the fortitude of his wife, the vision of his friend and AIDS activist, the late Elizabeth Glaser, and the commitment of his former head coach Pat Riley.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #152
spleen1015
Coordinator

I was in the training room in the 10th grade icing my knees before JV basketball practice when this came over the radio. Pretty crazy.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #153
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I was in the training room in the 10th grade icing my knees before JV basketball practice when this came over the radio. Pretty crazy.

I went to Red Wings/Blues game that night. The Wings destroyed them. I can't remember the score, but I do remember that Paul "The Rocket Man" Ysebaert scored at least a couple of goals.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #154
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Man, the Stu Ungar film, One of a King, is horrible for such great story. Classic example of too much style and very little substance. I HATE reenacting.

Last edited by AENeuman : 02-20-2012 at 04:33 PM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #155
Radii
Head Coach

Reminder that the Magic Johnson documentary airs tonight on ESPN.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #156
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That was pretty good. I like how it was pretty much entirely told by Magic.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #157
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I went to Red Wings/Blues game that night. The Wings destroyed them. I can't remember the score, but I do remember that Paul "The Rocket Man" Ysebaert scored at least a couple of goals.

St. Louis Blues at Detroit Red Wings Box Score, November 7, 1991 | Hockey-Reference.com
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #158
Radii
Head Coach

I was at the preseason game (Lakers vs Cavs) during Magic's attempted comeback in Chapel Hill when he got cut that was mentioned/shown in the program. It the most surreal thing I've ever seen live, everyone in the arena knew, and every single person there was watching him and the trainer on the bench.

I loved the documentary. Magic was my favorite basketball player as a kid. I wrote a paper about him in high school b/c I was that type of sports nerd.

Last edited by Radii : 03-12-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #159
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Fall schedule

ESPN Films Announces Fall Schedule for 30 for 30 Vol. II « ESPN MediaZone
Old 08-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #160
stevew
Hall Of Famer

For every one I get excited about(9.79 and Broke), it seems like they make 2-3 more that are just ridiculous(the basketball one), overly self important(ole miss football? Some kid who got shot) and/or unnecessary(Bo Jackson, at least right now)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #161
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Have they done one on Marshall? I thought the movie was way too glossy.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #162
Barkeep49
Coordinator

We were talking about this over in the Netflix thread but I think the first set of 30 for 30 showed that a gifted documentarian can make otherwise questionable topics into great documentaries.

Personally I'm looking forward to the Bo Jackson one (can't get me enough Bo). Broke, though, is the one I'm most looking forward to.

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 08-04-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #163
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Tecmo Bo should be a part of that documentary
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #164
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I would liked Bo at lot more if he hadn't played for Auburn.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #165
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

It seems like sports documentary's based around race only is in vogue the past 5 years on heavy rotation. The best ones interweave a bigger story with the influences of racial impact into it. (see the Marcus Dupree story), and they become much more compelling. It seems that some of these guys know that it's almost an unwritten law to downplay a documentary where racial injustice is the focal point. I have seen some amazing ones, but many of the sports ones seem contrived to solicit a response based on subject and not content.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #166
Senator

"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 08-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #167
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Boy, that Ben Johnson thing was definitely a wake up call to a 13-year old Canadian kid who was naive to all that drug stuff.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #168
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

What a tainted event and I hope that it goes beyond just Johnson's record setting time and also into the fact that the currently recognized gold medal winner failed three drug tests in the 1988 US Olympic trials, which by rule at the time, should have disqualified him from taking part in Seoul, if not for a massive USOC cover up. And let's not forget that the man that finished third (and got the silver) also has a positive steroid test on his record. In fact, beyond Johnson, 5 of the other 7 finalists either tested positive for banned substances in their careers or where involved of the supply of them.

I also can't believe how hypocritical it was of Lewis to make the comments regarding Jamaica's drug testing program when it's a fact that he would not have been there in '88 if not for the USOC coverup.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #169
Radii
Head Coach

Review: ESPNs 30 for 30 returns with Broke & 9.79*

Starts tonight.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #170
stevew
Hall Of Famer

sweet, i can't wait for Broke. Heard Keith McCants talking the other day...sad(dumb) story.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #171
RainMaker
General Manager

Have it set on the DVR tonight. Looking forward to the series being back. Some nice topics coming up. I also heard there is a Maurice Clarett one that is in the works.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #172
BYU 14
Coordinator

Dammit, I missed it, will have to tivo a repeat
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #173
BillJasper
Pro Starter

It was okay. It seemed more bits and pieces of people screwing up than an in-depth examination.

The divorce attorney was dressed like she was looking for a rich athlete to pick up.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #174
RedKingGold
College Starter

Meh. It was interesting, but not worthy of the prehype it received.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #175
sabotai
General Manager

I was disappointed in it. Not a real, deep look at the problem. Just simple, all over the place sound bites from mostly former NFL players about how things went bad for them. I'd have a hard time even calling that a documentary. It was more like an hour and half long version of a 2 minute long Sportscenter segment.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #176
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

I enjoyed it somewhat, but was mostly disappointed by it. I couldn't help but think of Martin Scorcese's line in Quiz Show. "They just wanted to watch the money."

A frank discussion of why so many athletes (or just people in general) are not prepared to deal with a sudden influx of cash would've been more beneficial, and very possibly more interesting
Old 10-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #177
korme
Go Reds

I thought it was great.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #178
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg2003 View Post
I enjoyed it somewhat, but was mostly disappointed by it. I couldn't help but think of Martin Scorcese's line in Quiz Show. "They just wanted to watch the money."

A frank discussion of why so many athletes (or just people in general) are not prepared to deal with a sudden influx of cash would've been more beneficial, and very possibly more interesting

yea gotta agree. financial management should be taught in schools instead of other antiquated material. seriously how is Shakespeare relevant but basic $$ management isnt
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #179
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
The divorce attorney was dressed like she was looking for a rich athlete to pick up.

She's just trying to drum up as much business as possible.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #180
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Broke was pretty solid, but not as great as I expected it would be. 9.79 was really good.

The last two, however, I could barely make it past the first commercial. The rules of basketball? Jesus.

And I may have just seen way too many stories about promising prospects getting killed, but I ultimately was bored. What is it about people who play basketball who would have been the best ever if it wasn't for drugs(Bias, the other documentary from the first set of these), and/or violence(Iverson was almost imprisoned for a long time)?
Old 10-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #181
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
And I may have just seen way too many stories about promising prospects getting killed, but I ultimately was bored. What is it about people who play basketball who would have been the best ever if it wasn't for drugs(Bias, the other documentary from the first set of these), and/or violence(Iverson was almost imprisoned for a long time)?

It's like rockstars who die young... everyone just assumes they were going to keep on getting better and better, when reality has shown us that that's pretty much never the case.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #182
korme
Go Reds

It's really just two players, this kid and Bias. I don't think that makes for it to be an argument
Old 11-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #183
PilotMan
Head Coach

On sale today; 30 for 30 on Blu Ray, $35, free shipping.

ESPN Films' 30 for 30 6-Disc Blu-Ray Collector's Edition!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #184
PilotMan
Head Coach

You Don't Know Bo just had me smiling for almost the entire 90 minutes. I could watch it over and over.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #185
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You Don't Know Bo just had me smiling for almost the entire 90 minutes. I could watch it over and over.

It was a really good one. My 9-year old daughter even loved it.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #186
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I was watching the Bo one with my four-year-old, and a few days later, he asked me, "What was the name of that guy in football who said "'I'm so tough! I'm so tough!' And then Bo Jackson SMASHED him?"

Me: "Brian Bosworth?"

Him: "Yeah! That was funny!"

Glad to be doing my part to pass on the relevant history to the next generation.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #187
spleen1015
Coordinator

ESPN is coming out with Nine for IX, a 9 documentary series about women in sports.

Nine for IX -- Essay from executive producer Jane Rosenthal - espnW
Old 03-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #188
Radii
Head Coach

"In 1983, the late Jim Valvano led the NC State Wolfpack through a series of nine overtime and 1-point games. But one game and one play will be remembered forever."

Survive and Advance - ESPN Films: 30 for 30

Tomorrow night 9pm on ESPN/midnight on ESPN2.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #189
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
ESPN is coming out with Nine for IX, a 9 documentary series about women in sports.

Nine for IX -- Essay from executive producer Jane Rosenthal - espnW

Too bad this hasn't come out sooner. I'll probably be done teaching after this semester and this would be perfect for discussion of Title IX. Right now, I use the Pony Excess 30 for 30.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #190
stevew
Hall Of Famer

LOL at that ACC 3 point line. It was 17'?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #191
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-

Amazing 30 for 30...easily among the best.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #192
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
LOL at that ACC 3 point line. It was 17'?

Yeah something like that. From a local (WRAL) article in 2008:

Quote:
In 1982, college basketball's scoring reached a low point. The ACC Tournament title game featured North Carolina using a four-corner delay offense against Virginia. The Tar Heels won 47-45 but the game made for poor viewing to a nationally televised audience.

So before the 1983 season, with the NCAA's permission, the ACC and a few mid-major conferences tinkered with their league rules to increase scoring.

Free to set its own parameters, the ACC decided to adopt a 30-second shot clock and a 3-point line that was about two feet shorter than the one used today. The current line is 19 feet, 9 inches measured from the middle of the basket.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #193
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Dola-

Amazing 30 for 30...easily among the best.

I loved it, glad to hear that those who aren't local did too

12 year old Tar Heel fan me was so happy about that stupid book that came out about NC State and about the rumored SAT scores of guys like Washburn and Shackleford, it seems so stupid to have cared about any of that so deeply looking back.

36 year old me, having seen my dad go through cancer and pass away in January, went on a pretty big emotional roller coaster watching this one. Dad was a lifelong NC State fan, he had a copy of the Sports Illustrated issue that came out after NC State beat UCLA in 1974 on the way to their first national title (that's mine now, I need to get it framed or put away safely somewhere), and I think we still have one of those cans of red soda that came out after the 1983 championship.

Last edited by Radii : 03-18-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #194
korme
Go Reds

I wonder when it will re-air. My DVR was all clogged up @ 9 on a Sunday.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #195
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

ESPN Films: 30 for 30 Index <-- on the right of the page is an "Upcoming" link that shows all 30 for 30 airings coming up.

March 25th, 1am, ESPN2 for this one.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #196
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That era in the 80s, when the colleges were able to hoard million dollar NBA caliber players, was the only time I really cared about college basketball. Now I just watch the underdogs in the tourney.

Ralph Sampson must have been a real beast.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #197
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

It's possible it could be On Demand in your DVR
Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #198
korme
Go Reds

It is on ESPN U right now... so I'm taping it.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:17 AM   #199
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Ralph Sampson must have been a real beast.

If you ask me to name the best college basketball player that I watched during my lifetime, I would flip a coin in my head when deciding whether to answer Ralph Sampson or Len Bias. 3 time national player of the year at the same time that Isaiah Thompson, Michael Jordan, James Worthy, Clyde Drexler, Hakeem, and Ewing were in school. I have to believe most fans of ACC/College basketball in the 80s would give him the same reverence.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #200
Senator

Next month - Elway to Marino

I love this draft class. So many great players - even beyond the QB's in it.

The popular ESPN “30 For 30″ series of sports movies returns with new installments soon, one of which will focus on the 1983 NFL Draft.

Entitled “Elway to Marino,” Sports Business Daily reports that the movie will be a collaboration between NFL Films and director Ken Rodgers and will focus on the six quarterbacks taken in the first round of that year’s Draft, including the three Hall of Famers: John Elway, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino.

The story will also dive into the significance of this particular class for the league, which was coming off a player strike and attempting to keep the USFL at bay.

The movie is scheduled to premiere on Tuesday, April 23rd and 9pm, just two days before the start of the 2013 Draft.