Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #101
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

1-3 months

Vomit-assault perpetrator at Philadelphia Phillies game sentenced to jail - ESPN
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #102
SackAttack
Head Coach

I was griping about the line in the story I read about how family members "burst into sobs" when the sentence was announced.

Usually I have a little sympathy for the family, but in this case, I'd just like to line up the sobbers and punch them in the face.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #103
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What I don't get about the whole story is why the fuck was the family being heckled when they were rooting for the Phillies?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #104
Anthony
Banned

i think the guys were cursing, and the father asked them to stop. one of the drunk guys didn't take to that request so well and vomitted on the father's daughter.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:41 PM   #105
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
i think the guys were cursing, and the father asked them to stop. one of the drunk guys didn't take to that request so well and vomitted on the father's daughter.
He also punched the father a few times for good measure.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:22 AM   #107
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Gotta love Asshatadelphia.

Why?
Old 08-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #108
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Gotta love Asshatadelphia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Why?

Jealousy is a stinky cologne.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #110
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Just last night at Nats Park we got to see a parade of Philly shitstains removed from the stadium for things like throwing lit cigarettes at security when they told them there was no smoking in the stadium.

Sorry, but the majority of Philly fans are the most worthless pieces of shit on the planet. If some whackjob country decides to try and bomb the US I hope they hit, and completely destroy, Philly and everyone in it. The world will be a better place when that happens.

This is one of the most ignorant things I've read in a very long time. There's shitty fans everywhere. Get over yourself and get off your high horse.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #111
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sorry, but the majority of Philly fans are the most worthless pieces of shit on the planet. If some whackjob country decides to try and bomb the US I hope they hit, and completely destroy, Philly and everyone in it. The world will be a better place when that happens.

LOL. You are truly a worthless piece of shit troll.

Please tell me this asshole is being boxed as I am sick of this crap of his. Maybe during that time the nuke will land on his ignorant head and do us a favor...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #112
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
This is one of the most ignorant things I've read in a very long time. There's shitty fans everywhere. Get over yourself and get off your high horse.

I always love the "everyone has bad fans" defense.

There are clearly teams/cities that have worse fans than others. Anyone not living in the bubble of those teams/cities can see it.

Philly is one of those cities. There is tons of evidence to support it - Philly, as a whole, has more aggressive, rude, over the top, unbearable fans (in person) than other cities. There's a reason that this thread title is what it is - the second I saw it I knew it must be someone from Philly, as did many people.

Now, is the poster above over the top, sure - but to deny that Philly, on the whole, has a worst fan culture than other cities is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #113
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
IThere's a reason that this thread title is what it is - the second I saw it I knew it must be someone from Philly, as did many people.

He wasnt from Philly.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #114
molson
General Manager

Quote:

There are clearly teams/cities that have worse fans than others. Anyone not living in the bubble of those teams/cities can see it.

Philly is one of those cities. There is tons of evidence to support it - Philly, as a whole, has more aggressive, rude, over the top, unbearable fans (in person) than other cities. There's a reason that this thread title is what it is - the second I saw it I knew it must be someone from Philly, as did many people.

Now, is the poster above over the top, sure - but to deny that Philly, on the whole, has a worst fan culture than other cities is ridiculous.

If there's differences, its so minuscule, and so irrelevant to the vast, majority of fans, it's just really trollish to have to constantly bring it up. It's just a cheap attack when you're too dumb to come up with anything else.

HiFiRevival thinks it's a "majority" of Philadelphia fans that are "the most worthless pieces of shit on the planet". That would be what - maybe 10 million people? HiFiRevival is obviously a moron (that's clear from his other posts beyond that one), and not really worth listening to about anything anyway.

But take make a more sane point - what % of Philadelphia fans vomit on children, or start fights in stadiums? Maybe .005%? Maybe Philly fans are the worst, and the rest of cities' fans average out at around .0045% Are those kind of differences really worth being such an as ass about? The vast majority of fans of any city are the same, decent, regular law-abiding people as the fans from any other city.

Last edited by molson : 08-01-2010 at 03:40 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #115
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
He wasnt from Philly.

He's a philly fan, the point still stands.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 08-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #116
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If there's differences, its so minuscule, and so irrelevant to the vast, majority of fans, it's just really trollish to have to constantly bring it up. It's just a cheap attack when you're too dumb to come up with anything else.

HiFiRevival thinks it's a "majority" of Philadelphia fans that are "the most worthless pieces of shit on the planet". That would be what - maybe 10 million people? HiFiRevival is obviously a moron (that's clear from his other posts beyond that one), and not really worth listening to about anything anyway.

But take make a more sane point - what % of Philadelphia fans vomit on children, or start fights in stadiums? Maybe .005%? Maybe Philly fans are the worst, and the rest of cities' fans average out at around .0045% Are those kind of differences really worth being such an as ass about? The vast majority of fans of any city are the same, decent, regular law-abiding people as the fans from any other city.
Like I said, I'm not defending HiFi being an ass - but I think your percents are not even close to accurate. There's a reason that Philly stadiums have built-in police substations and most other stadiums do not.

I know why you're at the defense here. You're a member of another much-maligned fan-base and you're trying to prove your innocence by helping out Philly - but really, Philly is the wrong shield to get behind.

Quote:
Old 08-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #117
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
He wasnt from Philly.

I don't think anyone would be shocked to find he relocated
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #118
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Like I said, I'm not defending HiFi being an ass - but I think your percents are not even close to accurate. There's a reason that Philly stadiums have built-in police substations and most other stadiums do not.

I know why you're at the defense here. You're a member of another much-maligned fan-base and you're trying to prove your innocence by helping out Philly - but really, Philly is the wrong shield to get behind.

You're coming off like a complete prick, FYI. You "know" why he's coming to the defense of Philly...of course you do. Pure arrogance.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #119
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Just last night at Nats Park we got to see a parade of Philly shitstains removed from the stadium for things like throwing lit cigarettes at security when they told them there was no smoking in the stadium.

Of course, the irony of this post is that if a whackjob country decided to bomb the U.S., they'd target Washington and New York before even thinking about Philadelphia.

Don't you dare disrespect our inferiority complex. It's what makes us the assholes we are.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #120
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Since you have everything figured out, what are the correct %'s of Philadelphia fans who are "worthless pieces of shit"?

And why do you think HiFiRevival is being an ass, when you're making the same argument? Is it just because you think that shit-percentage is something less than a majority? Maybe 45% or something?

I mean, if we take the % of Philllies fans that vomit on small children, I'm thinking that amount is pretty negligible. It's just really limited, simple thinking that uses that spray of vomit against a huge group of people. It takes someone who is simply predisposed to grouping people so they can feel superior to something.

Last edited by molson : 08-01-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #121
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

This thread took a wicked turn. I dont think we need to link a few loud minority of asshole philly fans in with the great philly fans out there. Philly has a reputation of having asshole fans but it doesnt mean everyone in philly is an asshole.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #122
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'm sure that this just slipped through the cracks...even though it is from twitter, I'd have to bet that Wade would have some sort of wet dream over posting this and saying how this is typical Philly behavior. But wait...this didn't happen in Philly.

Ever Classy, Mets Fans Cheer Howard's Injury - SBNation.com
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #123
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

While I firmly believe many fanbases have more assholes than others (just go to Fenway), it is absurd to blame the fanbase as a whole. The vast majority of any fanbase is fine.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #124
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
This thread took a wicked turn. I dont think we need to link a few loud minority of asshole philly fans in with the great philly fans out there. Philly has a reputation of having asshole fans but it doesnt mean everyone in philly is an asshole.

I'm not sure why everyone is reacting so harshly to me. This is essentually what I'm saying. Do I think 45% of Philly fans are aholes? No, not even close. And people need to stop applying HiFi's quotes to me.

I'm not saying some large percentage of Philly fans would puke on children.

I'm not saying 45% (or more) Philly fans are aholes.

I *AM* saying more than .005% of Philly fans are aholes and that that % is higher than most other cities. What is the percentage? I have no idea.

But to say that it is .005% "...vomit on children, or start fights in stadiums?" is naive imo.

The Linc sits just under 70,000. So, by molson's math only 3.5 Philly fans start fights at a game in the Linc. I just think that's not accurate. Again, they have their own police substation for a reason. I don't think it's for 3 fights a game.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. I don't think 30,000 fans start fights. But I do think it's higher than a) molson says and b) most other cities.

And yes, I think this is partially because molson is indirectly frustrated with how New England fans are treated. Amusing that then Logan comes cursing me out, because I think he's a New England fan as well. Notice I didn't even SAY anything wrong about New England fans, I just said they are maligned. Ironically fitting the stereo type people have about New England fans.

All of that said - don't think I'm being overly harsh about Philly like HiFi is. That's how I'm different. If molson is saying .005%, I'm saying maybe .5% or 1% or something like that. I also don't think other teams/cities are .0045% - I think that's a too optimistic view of Americans.

In various google searches, Philly fans always show up on "worst fans" lists - for booing their own team, pouring beer on other teams fans (including children), cheering injuries to opposing players, etc, etc. Yes, there are fans like this at all teams - but there is a reason that Philly continually shows up on these (admittedly subjective) lists.

NOTE: It looks like I may be wrong, the Linc may not have a substation - but the Vet had a substation and a courtroom.

Quote:
Old 08-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #125
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
While I firmly believe many fanbases have more assholes than others (just go to Fenway), it is absurd to blame the fanbase as a whole. The vast majority of any fanbase is fine.

Yes. Exactly. I think I shouldn't have made my statements on the heels of HiFi. I really don't take anywhere close to as extreme stance as him - I'm just saying there are fanbases that have a larger basis of aholes, and not by just some minuscule, unnoticeable margin.

Quote:
Old 08-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #126
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I'm sure that this just slipped through the cracks...even though it is from twitter, I'd have to bet that Wade would have some sort of wet dream over posting this and saying how this is typical Philly behavior. But wait...this didn't happen in Philly.

Ever Classy, Mets Fans Cheer Howard's Injury - SBNation.com

FWIW, I don't have some major thing against Philly fans. I think if you searched my previous posts, I've never said anything about Philly fans before this thread. I think I may have said something about New England fans before, but that's in a very different light than this discussion - and a view that I've started to change over time.

Quote:
Old 08-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #127
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I didnt quote you for a reason Wade. I was much more disturbed with HiFi actually because his quote is an embarrassment to himself. I probably agree with you but I dont see the point of ripping all Philly fans especially when there are a lot of great ones in the forum. It just seems this thread is taking a turn for the worse.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #128
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I didnt quote you for a reason Wade. I was much more disturbed with HiFi actually because his quote is an embarrassment to himself. I probably agree with you but I dont see the point of ripping all Philly fans especially when there are a lot of great ones in the forum. It just seems this thread is taking a turn for the worse.

Well, I can certainly agree that HiFi is being an ass if that makes anyone feel better .

I have not had any issues that I'm aware of with Philly fans on this board - at least not in relation to Philly sports teams.

Quote:
Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #129
Comey
College Starter

Quote:

Where did I deny it? I know the rep is there. I deal with ignorant people giving me shit all the time because I'm a Philly fan in the middle of Boston and New York fans. I'm not a shitty fan, and yet I get cast in the lot of those that are. It's frustrating, to say the least.

But nonetheless, your response to me is totally misguided. You took my comments to task based on assumption. I'm purely discussing the ignorant assclown being an ignorant assclown. I didn't post to debate the ethics of Philadelphia sports fans. Technically, every city has at least one shitty fan. So my "defense" (which isn't really a defense, but merely to point out he's not living in some sports utopia) is technically correct. ; )

However, pointing out Philadelphia's "rep" to a Philly fan, especially when other cities have done *far* worse things (lately, within the last decade) and they've been forgotten, is pointless. I'm well aware of the rep, regardless of how warranted or unwarranted it may be in THIS generation.

By the way, I'm glad the puking asshat got jail time. He deserves a lifetime ban from all sports in the city of Philadelphia, as would anyone who'd do that.

Last edited by Comey : 08-02-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #130
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
He deserves a lifetime ban from all sports in the city of Philadelphia, as would anyone who'd do that.

Great, so now you want to actually reward him.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #131
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Great, so now you want to actually reward him.

In a perfect world, the judge would send him to be Billy King's Administrative Assistant.

Last edited by Comey : 08-02-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #132
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Where did I deny it? I know the rep is there. I deal with ignorant people giving me shit all the time because I'm a Philly fan in the middle of Boston and New York fans. I'm not a shitty fan, and yet I get cast in the lot of those that are. It's frustrating, to say the least.

But nonetheless, your response to me is totally misguided. You took my comments to task based on assumption. I'm purely discussing the ignorant assclown being an ignorant assclown. I didn't post to debate the ethics of Philadelphia sports fans. Technically, every city has at least one shitty fan. So my "defense" (which isn't really a defense, but merely to point out he's not living in some sports utopia) is technically correct. ; )

However, pointing out Philadelphia's "rep" to a Philly fan, especially when other cities have done *far* worse things (lately, within the last decade) and they've been forgotten, is pointless. I'm well aware of the rep, regardless of how warranted or unwarranted it may be in THIS generation.

By the way, I'm glad the puking asshat got jail time. He deserves a lifetime ban from all sports in the city of Philadelphia, as would anyone who'd do that.

Um, you're the one ignoring the point. You keep focusing on the "rep". What most people in here are saying is that it is a reality -- the fans as a whole, or on average, however you want to put it, are "worse" (ruder, more prone to aggression at a sporting event, more crude, etc) than most fan bases. I'm sure you are not, but the fact is that the average Philly fan is. What Wade was saying is that, sure, every fanbase has shitty fans, but Philly's average is worse than most. The only people that don't think so are Philly fans.

Just this weekend, when Ryan Zimmerman hit a walk-off a Philly fan threw a bottle at the ball as it was leaving the park.

The problem with your "other fans have done worse" argument is that generally there is one glaring incident, which is that one shitty fan. Philly fans do thing continually that may not be sportscenter worthy, but are nonetheless the actions of shitty fans.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #133
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Just this weekend, when Ryan Zimmerman hit a walk-off a Philly fan threw a bottle at the ball as it was leaving the park.

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/v/-8K4gvMSRok&amphl=en_US&ampfs=1[/url]" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

As a Pittsburgh fan, I am programmed to hate Philly fans, but talk of them being so much worse is asinine. The shit that happens there is more well known, because people love to talk about it and perpetuate the idea, therefore it's brought up the next time, rinse and repeat.

To say they are worse than any other fans is impossible, unless you are at every other event.

Edit-- Stupid embed! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8K4gvMSRok

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 08-03-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #134
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm sure you are not, but the fact is that the average Philly fan is.

Perhaps, but once you average over the totality of the fanbase the difference in average between Philly and DC, for example, is in no way large enough for the grief Philly fans get.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 08-03-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #135
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Um, you're the one ignoring the point. You keep focusing on the "rep". What most people in here are saying is that it is a reality -- the fans as a whole, or on average, however you want to put it, are "worse" (ruder, more prone to aggression at a sporting event, more crude, etc) than most fan bases. I'm sure you are not, but the fact is that the average Philly fan is. What Wade was saying is that, sure, every fanbase has shitty fans, but Philly's average is worse than most. The only people that don't think so are Philly fans.

The problem with your "other fans have done worse" argument is that generally there is one glaring incident, which is that one shitty fan. Philly fans do thing continually that may not be sportscenter worthy, but are nonetheless the actions of shitty fans.

My initial post to hifi was regarding his ignorance, not philly's reputation. He went way over the line with his jackassery, and I called him on it.

I was not hitting the rep until wade brought it up, as he incorrectly defined my respoonse to hifi. Where you quoted me was in response to wade, which was discussing what he said about my post.

I think this is one of those "taking things out of context" things. I discussed rep with wade, but not hifi. That's my initial point, and continues to be. ; )

I don't need to discuss the rep. It is a well-known rep. That is why I didn't need to discuss it when responding to hifi.

Last edited by Comey : 08-03-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #136
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Like this?

As a Pittsburgh fan, I am programmed to hate Philly fans, but talk of them being so much worse is asinine. The shit that happens there is more well known, because people love to talk about it and perpetuate the idea, therefore it's brought up the next time, rinse and repeat.

To say they are worse than any other fans is impossible, unless you are at every other event.

I am at Redskins games and Nats games with fans of many other cities. Am I at every event in every city? No. But I see a broad representation of many cities that come to see the visiting team in stadiums here.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #137
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

As for the "rep"...

It is completely overblown. Something happens in Philly and it becomes national news becase "it happened in Philly" yet the same things happen in other places and you don't. It doesn't take a genius to figure out just which city you are going to think is worse. It's all about perception.

As I have said before. There has been crap said to me at other locations that would make someone like ls post on here about "how bad those fans are" and how it hut my sesitive feelings... Yet I know that a negative cross section of the fans does not make the fans as a whole bad. For every asshole that I have met someplace I have met just as many good people.

Hell, I will be the first to admit that there are Philly fans who are assholes but by no means does that represent the fanbase.

Funny how things like Mario Lemeux's return from his battle with cancer never gets mentioned. His first game back in Philly (which I believe was actually his first game back) he received a 5 minute standing ovation when he stepped on the ice prior to the game; which I was fortunate enough to witness in person. No mention of that. I bet if there was even the slightest hint of a boo it would have made national news as "the Philly fans strike again".

The negative rep also causes instances. Where asshole fans from other teams show up at games with the intention of instigating a response; where it eventually becomes a clash of two sets of asshole subsets of fanbases.

Add to that the "invented memories". I've heard people ragging on Philly fans claiming to have been at the "booed santa" incident. The problem is they wouldn't have even been born yet when that happened.

One other issue is that the negative rep fuels the percentage of the fans who are already assholes to begin with (regardless of fanbase). Now they want to live up to the rep and go even farther to "live up to it". That doesn't make the percentages any different, just makes the assholes standout even more.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #138
Comey
College Starter

What people fail to bring up with the Santa incident is that Santa was piss drunk, which is why he got booed. Of course, people would twist that around to "Philadelphia employs drunk Santas and, therefore, hates children."

People have to hold onto their pre-conceived notions, no matter how ridiculous they may be. I get crap for being a Philly fan on here, from people I've never even had a discussion with. It's one of the reasons why I rarely even bother to discuss sports with anyone anymore. It's a shame that who I cheer for has caused me to alienate myself from sports society, despite the fact that I don't associate with the 2% of the fan base that gives the city the rep it has.

Sigh.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #139
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I am at Redskins games and Nats games with fans of many other cities. Am I at every event in every city? No. But I see a broad representation of many cities that come to see the visiting team in stadiums here.

People in other cities who choose to root for a team like the Yankees, Red Sox, or Phillies, are going to average out to a higher level of douchiness. The random Red Sox fan working in some guy's office in Cleveland is more likely to have some issues.

The %s of douchbags amongst groups of fans can vary due to a number of factors, where the whole thing pisses me off is when the fan reputation thing becomes THE angle in any discussion about the team. It just gets really old. And we're still talking about a minority of any fanbase that causes problems. People are just so obnoxious in utilizing these repuations any chance they get.

I've been to maybe a dozen MLB stadiums and the most hostile home fans I ever came accross were in Denver during the '07 World Series. That doesn't make me immediately jump to the conclusion that Rockies fans are genetically douchey and inferior, or that there's something in the water, or whatever. Thinking about things for 2 seconds can tell you what's going on. Red Sox fans have this reputation, which itself increases the hostility and douchebaggery of other fans they come across. It's also the World Series, where you're going to have a lot of bandwaggon fans. Also, the World Series in an "event", so the pre-game alchohol consumption is way higher, which is not going to help the behavior of any group.

I think generally, if you're bringing up a team or city's reputation in a discussion that has nothing to do with fan behavior, or you make a claim that "a majority" of that team's fans are "worthles pieces of shit", or you're disgaraging someone's argument just because of the team they root for and that team's reputation, you're just trolling and being an ass. (And are probably pretty stupid, because you can't think 2 seconds beyond a general reputation).

It's human nature to emphasize traits in groups in order to feel superior to them. At least sports fans reputations are a relatively harmless version of that tendency.

Last edited by molson : 08-03-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #140
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Believe me (and I'm sure Comey would agree), I hate douchebag Boston fans more than you do, because they cause me to have to have this conversation (on top of their usual doucheyness).
Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #141
RainMaker
General Manager

The most annoying fan to me is the jock sniffers. The people that dress up in whatever star players uniform and magically become diehard fans of the team. This is prevelant in basketball moreso than other sports.

So the Cavs come to town and there are 500 Lebron jerseys and screaming Cavs fans in attendance. I guarantee there won't be any Cavs fans in Chicago next year. Saw the same shit when Shaq went to the Heat and magically all these Heat fans started showing up at the United Center when they played them.

Obnoxious fans are one thing, but I can't stand the guy who switches teams every couple years because a player he likes joins it.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #142
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The most annoying fan to me is the jock sniffers. The people that dress up in whatever star players uniform and magically become diehard fans of the team. This is prevelant in basketball moreso than other sports.

So the Cavs come to town and there are 500 Lebron jerseys and screaming Cavs fans in attendance. I guarantee there won't be any Cavs fans in Chicago next year. Saw the same shit when Shaq went to the Heat and magically all these Heat fans started showing up at the United Center when they played them.

Obnoxious fans are one thing, but I can't stand the guy who switches teams every couple years because a player he likes joins it.

And those are the most visible and noticeable fans contributing to a fanbase's reputation, even though they're only in the fanbase temporarily.

It's not a coincidence that "obnoxious" fanbases tend to come from more successful franchises.

Last edited by molson : 08-03-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #143
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

SHURG. And when Tampa Bay comes out to play here in Arizona I'm going to be there dressed in my Barber Jersey. I've been a Bucs fan since they have been in existence. How could you know I wasn't one of the guys you say switches teams every couple of years or are you saying that fans of other teams NEVER live in other sports cities and venture to a game when their team plays? Seems odd.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #144
Comey
College Starter

I think there's an easy way to tell.

If you're wearing a team's jersey, and the jersey you're wearing is of a player who isn't on the team anymore...chances are you're a fan of that team, and have been for some time.

If you have a LeBron jersey, or an Amare jersey, with their new teams, it's probably 60/40 against that you're a poser fan.

Last edited by Comey : 08-03-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #145
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

If you're wearing a team's jersey, and the jersey you're wearing is of a player who isn't on the team anymore...chances are you're a fan of that team, and have been for some time.

If you have a LeBron jersey, or an Amare jersey, with their new teams, it's probably 60/40 against that you're a poser fan.

Doesn't work. Ronde is still on the team thus it invalidates the first option and he's been on the team for a long time so it invalidates the second option.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #146
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Lebron James
Shaq
Ronde Barber

Which of these is not like the other?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #147
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Lebron James
Shaq
Ronde Barber

Which of these is not like the other?

Lebron

Ronde and Shaq both have championship rings.
Ronde and Shaq both have "twins" (Tiki and Stanley Roberts)
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:28 AM   #148
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
SHURG. And when Tampa Bay comes out to play here in Arizona I'm going to be there dressed in my Barber Jersey. I've been a Bucs fan since they have been in existence. How could you know I wasn't one of the guys you say switches teams every couple of years or are you saying that fans of other teams NEVER live in other sports cities and venture to a game when their team plays? Seems odd.
No offense to Tampa, but I doubt people are jumping on the Ronde Barber bandwagon. I'm mostly talking about the superstars of the league, and for the most part, it's the NBA that has those fans.

I've had season tickets to the Bulls for awhile now. I never saw a Heat jersey before 2005, but saw a ton for a couple years. Then they magically all disappeared when Miami came to town. But I'm going to out here on a limb and guess that there will be a lot of them at the game this year.

I just don't like frontrunners. The people that before the season chooses the best team and decides they are his team.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:49 AM   #149
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
No offense to Tampa, but I doubt people are jumping on the Ronde Barber bandwagon. I'm mostly talking about the superstars of the league, and for the most part, it's the NBA that has those fans.

I've had season tickets to the Bulls for awhile now. I never saw a Heat jersey before 2005, but saw a ton for a couple years. Then they magically all disappeared when Miami came to town. But I'm going to out here on a limb and guess that there will be a lot of them at the game this year.

I just don't like frontrunners. The people that before the season chooses the best team and decides they are his team.

So, now we've moved the goalposts. I get it.

I asked a question and the answer I got was:

Quote:

I stated that this was a stupid illogical and prone to error method to determine who's a "real fan" and all you can do is change the answer I was already given. It's hard to have a discussion when someone is going to keep making up new rules when you've had the old ones challenged.

Fact is, I hate people that are poser fans but I think anyone who judges people by the clothes they wear are far worse and worse, do it when even they admit that to their way of thinking the chances are probably close to even that they're wrong. Lazy thinking is more dangerous than misplaced fanaticism.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #150
Comey
College Starter

For the record, I don't do what I prescribed. I simply do not care. I just think that it may be easier to tell than not...at least depending on region. In Central PA, it could be pretty easy to tell at times.

In NYC, you couldn't tell, no matter what.

All I did above was discuss a theory on the degree of difficulty in determination.

Last edited by Comey : 08-04-2010 at 06:06 AM.