Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #151
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, the lenses are a useful touch and diplomacy is better altogether, other than that everything about the UI seems to be a step down. Even the minimap is pretty useless. Game itself seems to be very strong, especially compared to day 1 in previous releases. Districts aren't quite as complicated as I was anticipating, really just one more step to unlock same old buildings and some added land management. Though it does force you to focus more on those subset buildings per city, since the districts aren't a quick build.

Civic and government system is great and I'm really liking the boosters. Religion and combat are basically the same as 5.

Still despise the graphical style and game appears to run more sluggish than 5 despite looking inferior, imho.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-23-2016 at 04:10 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #152
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think that's a fair review. I would add I love the great people mechanic, deciding whether to pass on one and go for a different category with a different perk.

I got burned trying to go for a great engineer who would have allowed me to finish a wonder, missed the engineer by one turn and then missed finishing the wonder by one turn as well. Good times
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #153
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, I love the overhaul of the great person system as well.

Heck even creating roads, not as straightforward now, but it feels better to me.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-23-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #154
cuervo72
Head Coach

Sounds like with casus belli and envoys, maybe Civ pulled a little bit from EU?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...tion-6-review/

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-23-2016 at 05:15 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #155
RainMaker
General Manager

How does the battering ram work?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #156
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm also loving the game so far but I'm having issues with freezing and crashes. Like I'll start up the game and it'll just sit at the loading screen. Seems like a common problem after looking around.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #157
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm having a blast with my first play through. I LOVE the boosts you can get!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:00 PM   #158
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
How does the battering ram work?

park it next to a city with walls and everyone that attacks the city uses it to destroy the walls. you only need 1 BR. this is the same with the siege tower. those 2 units dont directly attack a city but makes it easier for other units to attack it
Old 10-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #159
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
park it next to a city with walls and everyone that attacks the city uses it to destroy the walls. you only need 1 BR. this is the same with the siege tower. those 2 units dont directly attack a city but makes it easier for other units to attack it

And make sure it's linked to another unit because it's easily attacked on its own.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:36 AM   #160
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm already hooked. I bought it on Friday and it worked fantastic on my Surface Pro 4 (I was worried it wouldn't) - its on a really high resolution, but all the textures are low. I ended up playing until 4:30 in the morning. And then a few hours on Saturday. I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing at first with the civics tree and new tech tree (and what to do with city states), but I figured that playing a few games through would help.

I started with a random game, which gave me Rome on Prince level on a Continent map (medium size maybe?). First thing I noticed was that damn barbarians are annoying in this game (in a good way). I found out soon that I was next to China, who decided to randomly declare war on me. I was a bit like "OH CRAP" because I had kind of neglected my military. I had a few warriors and slingmen hanging out, but if China had troops on my borders ready to storm me, I'd be a goner. Thankfully they didn't and a few turns later I finished researching the tech that got me Rome's legions. Soon after I took one of their cities and decided to accept the peace terms. Only after that I realized, oh crap, the only iron on this side of the continent is next to China's remaining two cities. So, I kept making legions and battering rams, and after a few terms (and a denouncement by China), I declared war and took the two (Gandhi decided to denounce me for being a warmonger as a result though). Of course during that second Roman-Chinese war, the Chinese city I took in the first war devolved into rebellion (because of a -5 due to war weariness... oops, gotta look at amenities more) - but they spewed out knights... and legions are no match for knights. So... I kind of had to wait them out a bit until I had enough legions that I could surround them and take them out.

So... I'm really liking the game. I didn't play last night after watching Westworld because I knew I'd be up until like 2 and that's not good for work on Monday morning. But the game totally was enticing me. Like whispering in my ear - you can only play half an hour. It'll be already. Damn you Civ addition...
Old 10-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #161
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Decided to go through the tutorial today. Most of it was obviously stuff I knew, but the part about districts and linking units helped out a lot. Also, there was a few things that were in previous games but are in different locations in the interface. Helped to see where those were.

Huh... good to know. Maybe I'll do the tutorial and then go back to my game in progress.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #162
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'm already hooked. I bought it on Friday and it worked fantastic on my Surface Pro 4 (I was worried it wouldn't) - its on a really high resolution, but all the textures are low. I ended up playing until 4:30 in the morning. And then a few hours on Saturday. I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing at first with the civics tree and new tech tree (and what to do with city states), but I figured that playing a few games through would help.

I started with a random game, which gave me Rome on Prince level on a Continent map (medium size maybe?). First thing I noticed was that damn barbarians are annoying in this game (in a good way). I found out soon that I was next to China, who decided to randomly declare war on me. I was a bit like "OH CRAP" because I had kind of neglected my military. I had a few warriors and slingmen hanging out, but if China had troops on my borders ready to storm me, I'd be a goner. Thankfully they didn't and a few turns later I finished researching the tech that got me Rome's legions. Soon after I took one of their cities and decided to accept the peace terms. Only after that I realized, oh crap, the only iron on this side of the continent is next to China's remaining two cities. So, I kept making legions and battering rams, and after a few terms (and a denouncement by China), I declared war and took the two (Gandhi decided to denounce me for being a warmonger as a result though). Of course during that second Roman-Chinese war, the Chinese city I took in the first war devolved into rebellion (because of a -5 due to war weariness... oops, gotta look at amenities more) - but they spewed out knights... and legions are no match for knights. So... I kind of had to wait them out a bit until I had enough legions that I could surround them and take them out.

So... I'm really liking the game. I didn't play last night after watching Westworld because I knew I'd be up until like 2 and that's not good for work on Monday morning. But the game totally was enticing me. Like whispering in my ear - you can only play half an hour. It'll be already. Damn you Civ addition...

Nice.. we are cool with the Romans so we have teamed up to rid our areas of the Barbarians, working out well so far.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #163
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Only part way through my first attempt. Best friends with Gandhi and denounced by a country that I just met because I hadn't established a religion. Gandhi stepped up and denounced them immediately. Barbarians started as a pest but currently just a minor diversion.

I like the new city building options, just took a bit to get used to the new planning.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #164
bhlloy
Coordinator

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the hardcoded AI likes/dislikes, feels like a way to shoehorn in conflict. For example being bordered by the chinese, I have a lot of wonders so they are constantly denouncing me. It just feels lazy and arbitrary to me.

A civ should rival me because I have a ton of troops on their border, or have key resources they need, or because I'm powerful and might win the game. Not for some random reason like I don't have a powerful navy (shouldn't the Vikings be more likely to dislike me if I have a huge threatening navy rather than the other way around?)
Old 10-24-2016, 04:03 PM   #165
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But isn't that partially a way to distinguish Civs, which is something that fans have been asking about for a while? I remember since Civ2 all the jokes about Gandhi being distinctly anti-pacifist (if not THE warmonger) and how silly that was.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-24-2016 at 04:03 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #166
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Pro Tip. If you find yourself unable to create a new game recently, apparently Windows AV programs have screwed up Civ. Add the Civ6 folder to your exclusion list in Security Essentials/Defender, and it'll work.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #167
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
But isn't that partially a way to distinguish Civs, which is something that fans have been asking about for a while? I remember since Civ2 all the jokes about Gandhi being distinctly anti-pacifist (if not THE warmonger) and how silly that was.

I don't disagree, just think the execution is dumb. If Harald Hardrada actually spent the first 200 turns raiding any unprotected coastal cities, that would be a fun way to distinguish the Civ, make the game more challenging and provide some tenuous historical accuracy.

As it is he pings me every 20 turns to tell me I don't have enough ships and that he doesn't want to be my friend. What's the point? Doesn't change the way I play the game in the slightest. I'm not going to build a ton of ships just so one Civ likes me a little more. I'm certainly not going to stay away from building wonders so China likes me or rush to get a settler on another continent so England likes me a little more. It just feels like a pointless mechanic that actually limits diplomacy.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #168
fortheglory
Mascot

Can anyone say if the Digital Deluxe version is worth the extra money?
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #169
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

We won't really know until we find out what the pieces of DLC are. It will be a discount on getting the new pieces right away (I expect maybe two or three new civs and alternate leaders for several of the ones we do have now), but if you're the sort that can wait for sales I'm sure the new content will be cheaper 6 or 9 months out.

I'll just put this here: The Aztecs' ability to rush districts is amazing. Spaceports in 5 turns amazing.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #170
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The "crash to desktop when capturing a city" feature sucks.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #171
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

11pm last night - "I'll just play for an hour and then go to sleep at a decent time"

1:45am - "Oh crap. Not again."

I'm having a blast in my first game, but my lack of knowledge of how districts worked and spending some time just cranking out legions to conquer China has significantly put me far back in the science race. Though now I'm focusing on the religious war, which is going ok I guess. I'm still trying to figure it out... my apostles have fought Scythia's Hindu apostles a few times, while we try to bend some city states (and now Indian cities) to our wills.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:30 PM   #172
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I don't know if this has something to do with my play style (marathon, big maps, multiple continents, sometimes I'm on my own continent, almost exclusively peaceful unless I need something on AI land,) but a frequent annoyance from Civ5 still exists for me:

1. Weaker Civ that is not on my continent declares war on me.
2. It never sends any troops to engage mine.
3. 20-30 or so turns later, they offer peace for a trivial amount (like maybe 5 gold + 1 gold per turn for 30 turns).
4. Rinse. Repeat.

Done this cycle at least 3-4 times with both Roosevelt and Saladin in my current game. Maybe as many as 7 or 8 times. It's not a huge deal, but kinda weird that the AI basically gifts me 35 gold every so often.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:33 PM   #173
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I don't know if this has something to do with my play style (marathon, big maps, multiple continents, sometimes I'm on my own continent, almost exclusively peaceful unless I need something on AI land,) but a frequent annoyance from Civ5 still exists for me:

3. 20-30 or so turns later, they offer peace for a trivial amount (like maybe 5 gold + 1 gold per turn for 30 turns).
4. Rinse. Repeat.

Done this cycle at least 3-4 times with both Roosevelt and Saladin in my current game. Maybe as many as 7 or 8 times. It's not a huge deal, but kinda weird that the AI basically gifts me 35 gold every so often.

I don't get something that ridiculous, but I'll get a significantly weaker civ declaring against me, attacking with 3-4 units that I wipe out quickly, then asking for peace and offering something like one of their cities.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #174
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Okay, another cool event. The Arabian empire kept giving me compliments; oddly enough I was a little concerned because no deals or anything could ever happen between me and them so I was suspicious.

At the same time the city state next to me we building up a massive military and that was getting me a little nervous. I did have a good relationship and trade routes with that city-state.

Then the Arabian empire declared a surprise war on me and many boats showed up on my shores. I scrambled to get my military over defense. At the same time the city state released all holy hell on them. Now two other civilizations have declared war on them and they have limped away without causing any noticeable damage on me as they have more important issues (I am across a sea from them and they have civs right next door to them who declared war).

Very glad to see that happen as I wasn't focusing nearly enough on military (as it seemed I was in good relations with everyone).
Old 10-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #175
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good little article here. I didn't realize that multiple cities can use the same district if it's positioned correctly. Definitely an advantage that I haven't been using in my planning.

Tips For Playing Civilization VI

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-27-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #176
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, they did a poor job in informing us how to the play the game. I miss the days of 100 page manuals.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:27 PM   #177
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, they did a poor job in informing us how to the play the game. I miss the days of 100 page manuals.

+1
Old 10-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #178
henry296
College Starter

I'm enjoying it but I really don't have a strategy but seem to be doing ok on Prince. I was Gilgamesh and was next to Japan. It seemed like I had an advantage so I went to war and wiped them out with relative ease. Almost everyone else hates me, but I am showing as in the science lead, so I'll progressing until I feel like another war. Brazil is probably my next target but they are somewhat protected by a jungle.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #179
Butter
Coordinator

Greece's Hoplites are pretty strong in the early game. Wipe people out before they get started.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:51 AM   #180
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Has the first patch come out yet? I always wait for that first patch before buying.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #181
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Edit: I'm an idiot.

Apparently a patch came out a few days ago? Though apparently it was some minor soundtrack thing? I have no idea.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-28-2016 at 09:33 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #182
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I know an update downloaded for me a few days ago, but I have no idea what it did.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:07 AM   #183
Butter
Coordinator

Has anybody heard of the term or name "Suzerain" before this game?

I sure as crap hadn't.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #184
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I remember it from a class about the Ottoman Empire, but had forgotten all about it until I saw it in the game.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #185
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

I sure as crap hadn't.

Being the history nerd/teacher that I am, of course I had heard of it. Ever use it in a sentence? Probably not.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #186
Dutch
"Dutch"

I wonder what would equate to this is currently? Kurdistan?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #187
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

I sure as crap hadn't.

I know it was used in the Gamecube/Wii Fire Emblem games.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #188
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Can you play Civilization 6 without ever founding a city? | PC Gamer
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #189
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Some of the Steam achievements look quite difficult.

Pizza Party
Activate Leonardo da Vinci in New York with Great Works from Michelangelo and Donatello -- and a sewer -- all in that city
Old 11-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #190
henry296
College Starter

I finished my first game on Prince and rolled to an easy domination victory. If I was more aggressive, i probably could've won much sooner. At this point, there is a lot of work required. I seem to recall usually playing prince or just one level higher. I'm not an expert by any means.

1. The AI did not expand enough. They had plenty of space for more cities and did not which lead to them falling behind on the tech tree.

2. The AI was well behind on its units. Either the lack of technology from number one or not upgrade. I was late game with infantry and a couple of tanks and the last Civ left had mostly warriors and one random ironclad. The highest level, I think I faced was crossbowman.

I like the new concepts and will try higher levels, but it is still very rough around the edges.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #191
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I finished my first game on Prince and rolled to an easy domination victory. If I was more aggressive, i probably could've won much sooner. At this point, there is a lot of work required. I seem to recall usually playing prince or just one level higher. I'm not an expert by any means.

1. The AI did not expand enough. They had plenty of space for more cities and did not which lead to them falling behind on the tech tree.

2. The AI was well behind on its units. Either the lack of technology from number one or not upgrade. I was late game with infantry and a couple of tanks and the last Civ left had mostly warriors and one random ironclad. The highest level, I think I faced was crossbowman.

I like the new concepts and will try higher levels, but it is still very rough around the edges.

My first victory on Prince was very similar. I expanded in a hurry. Around turn 400, I had the most advanced units in the game and was facing units a couple of eras before mine. I was pursuing a Science victory, but ended up with a Culture victory due to all the Great Artists/Writers/etc. I was pumping out late in the game. I also hit Future Tech around turn 380 or so. I researched a ton of Future Techs while I didn't finish out the Civic stuff until turn 440 or so.

I had fun, but you're correct that it definitely needs some fine tuning.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #192
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Civ VI has already surpassed 1M units sold. That's the second 1M seller for Firaxis this year (XCOM2).
Old 11-03-2016, 01:44 AM   #193
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

4. Rinse. Repeat.

I haven't noticed this, but I've had a few nearby civs declare war and scare me (I tend to concentrate on expansion & building up my cities early, and thus are often slacking in terms of units & firepower, whilst ahead in science and production), then just not show up for long enough I can ramp up a competent military. It's like the AI is sufficiently aggressive when it comes to declaring war, then just shows no urgency once involved in one.

The AI also.seems woefully unable to handle ranged units. Give me like 3 Crossbowmen, particularly if they're defending a city of mine, and I can take on 15 horsemen or Roman Legions, with the added bonus I'm basically farming XP & can eventually get to the "fire 2x in one turn" upgrade, which was a gamebreaker in two of my early play throughs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Has the first patch come out yet? I always wait for that first patch before buying.
No (real) patch yet, but I've found it very enjoyable. Building up cities is much more unique with the terrain factors, and the city population constraints + potential bonuses for nearby cities really encourage a tight empire that grows outward instead of massive sprawl. Interactions with city states is much improved & varied (& can really affect your early gameplay - I ran into 3 militaristic city states who gave my capital +2 production when building units on one map, and you best believe I started churning out some units & blitzing the neighbors.) There are also some very nice mid game bonuses for being a Suzerain. Even the wonders seem more useful now, though again the AI needs to be much more aggressive about building cities near them & taking advantage of those sweet tile bonuses.

End game still looks weak to me, but I rarely even played those out back in Civ II days - outside of scenarios by "1900"ish it always seems obvious who is going to win, and the fun for me has always been in growing the Civ & exploring anyways. Overall, if you want to wait for a sale, go for it, but if you're a Civ fan there's enough new stuff here and the mechanics are tight enough you will definitely get a few fun playthroughs in before feeling like you need a patch imo.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:40 AM   #194
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Was less than thrilled to have a Civ twice ask me to join a war with them, to which I agreed to build up our relations, the end result was them hating and immediately denouncing me the next turn for being a war monger. Even though the 2 wars I was in were at their behest.

There is definitely some odd behavior in the game. They definitely don't seem to expand fast enough, at least on continents. I had a harder time on pangea at a lower difficult because they seemed to expand more, but its only a sample size of one.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:03 AM   #195
Ben E Lou

Dumb question: has anyone here played above Prince level?
Old 11-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #196
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm steam rolling through Prince now, which I couldn't do as easily on V. I'm upping difficulty next game.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #197
Peregrine
Pro Starter

What I wish is that I could help out my city-states with some tech or something once I am suzerain of them. I finished my first game and they were still running around with about 50 warriors.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #198
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
What I wish is that I could help out my city-states with some tech or something once I am suzerain of them. I finished my first game and they were still running around with about 50 warriors.

I think that the other civs have a somewhat similar issue. There's definitely some fine tuning that needs to be done.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #199
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Dumb question: has anyone here played above Prince level?
Same as Jeff - I haven't yet as I worked to understand districts etc, but will be making the move up in my next game. Is the AI notably more aggressive at those levels?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #200
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Same as Jeff - I haven't yet as I worked to understand districts etc, but will be making the move up in my next game. Is the AI notably more aggressive at those levels?
I don't know, but I recall reading somewhere that it might be. I'm playing a Prince game now and doing well, although the effin' Japanese are apostle-spamming me to no end. (I got a continent with just me and some city states. Japan is on the next next continent over.)