Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2019, 11:45 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

2019 MLB Thread

Detroit Tigers Spring Training - Voice of the Turtle - Ernie Harwell - YouTube

Some interesting changes coming. These are the proposals going back and forth between MLB/MLBPA

1) MLBPA is pushing for universal DH, and wants it in time for the 2019 season. While it's not going to happen this year, it's going to happen sooner or later. (If I had to guess, I would say that this is one of the things that gets thrown in to satisfy the players after the 2021 strike/CBA bargaining)

2) MLB wants to reduce mound visits to a max 3 per team per game in 2020. (I think this is ridiculous, personally. I can understand you don't want the great debate out there, but this is way past ridiculous)

3) MLB has offered to raise the amount of players on the roster from 25 to 26, but they want to reduce the expanded rosters (Sept1) from 40 to 28. (I would support reducing the 40 man expanded rosters to something like 32-34)

4) MLB wants to pass a rule requiring pitchers to stay in the game for at least three batters. (My response: Hey purists, want to defend the sanctity of the game? You keep talking about how double switches and lineup shenanigans to pinch hit for the pitchers is part of the game, how is limiting Strategic reliever match ups a good thing. If they absolutely MUST have it, which I'm strongly against, it should be two batters, MAX.)

5) Last year's pace-of-play proposals (20 second pitch clock, reduction of total mound visits to 5, and baserunners start on base after 10th inning of Spring Training and All-Star Game) will be put into place this year with or without MLBPA ok.

(the Athletic piece mentioned in this story is behind their paywall)

MLB rule changes for 2019? Three-batter requirement for all pitchers, universal DH reportedly being discussed - CBSSports.com

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:38 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Detroit Tigers Spring Training - Voice of the Turtle - Ernie Harwell - YouTube

Some interesting changes coming. These are the proposals going back and forth between MLB/MLBPA

1) MLBPA needs to fuck off. I'd sooner see them strike permanently than institute that bullshit.

2) silly

3) nothing but an ownership power play on that, no rule (that I'm aware of) requires teams to call up to the max so if they choose to put themselves at a disadvantage to save a few dollars, let that be on them

4) considerably sillier than #2. But don't blame purists for not stopping it (which kinda seemed to be what you were doing), none of us with any sense of what baseball is supports any of this fucktard stuff

5) whoever came up with that runner at 2nd horseshit ought to be hung by the neck in the public square until dead & their corpse left in place until nothing remains but sun-bleached bones
Old 02-06-2019, 06:33 AM   #3
TLK
Pro Starter

The extra innings thing for me would be a killer. It's honestly one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:45 AM   #4
miked
College Starter

I don't get the appeal of watching some guy who never takes batting practice and does not ever bat go up there and take 3 terrible hacks and sit back down. They may as well choose a fan at random in the game and at least make it interesting. "Because our ancestors did it" is not always the best thing.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:18 AM   #5
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'd be fine with #1.

As for the pace of play changes, I think it's all a bunch of BS. The reason games take longer today than they did say 40 years ago is because of all of the tv commercials. If you want to get some time back, remove some commercials. They won't do that because it would cost revenue. So, instead they need to create this BS rules.

You limit the amount of visits to the mound and you save maybe 10-15 minutes per game when commercials are like 45-60 minutes of time over the course of the game.

I think they should embrace the game for what it is. It's just a slow game.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:11 AM   #6
Scarecrow
College Prospect

1) This is eventually going to happen, so...

2) I'd rather keep the catcher mound visits and add a limit to coaches visits at 3 per game. Any other time, you just go to the home plate umpire and tell him the change. Also, limit the warm up pitches once the change is made to 3 pitches.

3) 26, then 32.

4) Stoopid

5) I like these, but I didn't realize there was a pitch clock.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:09 AM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
The extra innings thing for me would be a killer. It's honestly one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

It’s like deciding an nfl game with a field goal kicking contest.

Beaseballs biggest problem isn’t pace of play, it’s the lack of marketing their stars. Probably 10% of people east of the Rockies would walk past Mike Trout and recognize him. .
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

#2 is coach/manager mound visits.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:00 AM   #9
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I don't get the appeal of watching some guy who never takes batting practice and does not ever bat go up there and take 3 terrible hacks and sit back down. They may as well choose a fan at random in the game and at least make it interesting. "Because our ancestors did it" is not always the best thing.

Yeah, not that good hitting pitchers were ever a big thing, but there have been a number of good hitting pitchers that added value to themselves by being good hitters.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I have always hated the Designated Hitter, but Madison Bumgarner really ruined it for me.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #11
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
1) This is eventually going to happen, so...

2) I'd rather keep the catcher mound visits and add a limit to coaches visits at 3 per game. Any other time, you just go to the home plate umpire and tell him the change. Also, limit the warm up pitches once the change is made to 3 pitches.

3) 26, then 32.

4) Stoopid

5) I like these, but I didn't realize there was a pitch clock.

That's a good one. I would go even further, and say no warm-up pitches. You warmed up in the bullpen, didn't you?

Why do we have to have a commercial break for every pitching change. That would save a lot of time and one reason baseball gets interminable to watch in late innings.

I'm for the pitching mound visit limits also.

I'm also fine with the DH in both leagues.

I do not like the pitch clock. At all. Or the extra innings runner thing. Sure, it's good in softball where you literally have unhittable pitchers facing off at times. This is the Major Leagues. You want to score, earn it.

I also don't get why they would want to limit the September rosters. They can already self-limit. Sounds like term limits. Seems like a negotiating tactic to have something easy you're "giving up".

Last edited by Butter : 02-06-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
Bobble
College Prospect

The extra innings runner on second thing is for meaningless games, right? Spring Training and All-Star? I don't see that as too bad. Get a "winner" for a game that doesn't mean much. That's fine.
Bobble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #13
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, but in Spring Training they can just declare games a tie after 9 innings, so just do that. I don't know why you're playing extra innings in Spring Training anyway.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

1. I HATE the DH...don't want it in the NL.

2. Stupid

3. I'd rather have 26 on a roster than a DH in the NL...

4. I like the idea of forcing a pitcher to face multiple batters. Force pitchers to be more versatile and stop all the pitching changes. Plus it creates a whole new set of decisions around when to change pitchers and which pitchers to use. Could be fascinating.

5. speed up game items are ok, and the extra-innings rule for exhibition games doesn't bother me, as long as it doesn't somehow manage to show up in real ball games. I'd rather just see the exhibition games end in a tie.

Baseball has a lot of problems and these aren't going to make that much of a difference in the long run. I agree with Tom Verducci the biggest issue is nothing happens for long stretches...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:55 PM   #15
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I know why it doesn't happen, but I've always thought that Baseball would be the absolutely perfect sport to adopt the soccer-style permanent banner ads with no commercial break broadcast system. It would solve all these problems at the same time.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:03 PM   #16
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Dola: the Giants met with Harper recently. It's an interesting matchup that I still think is too far-fetched to actually happen, but there's plenty of pros and cons:

Pros:
  • Giants have a glaring need for Power, OF help, and a big name.
  • Harper will still be young enough to have something left in the tank in three years when the Giants are likely to be relevant again.
  • Though their finances aren't great right now (~ $10m over the Luxury Tax if they sign Harper to a $30m/year deal), in two years they basically have no one under contract, and it isn't super far-fetched for them to sign Harper AND stay under the tax right now.

Cons:
  • Free agent hitters don't sign here because of the Park's reputation for suppressing offense.
  • Why would Harper sign with a team as old and bad as the Giants?
  • Why would the Giants commit several hundred million dollars to one player when the team has so far to go to become relevant again?
  • His OF defense was freaking awful at age 25, and the Giants have arguably the most difficult Right Field in all of baseball to play in.

It's a fascinating combination of circumstances.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:28 PM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
[*]His OF defense was freaking awful at age 25, and the Giants have arguably the most difficult Right Field in all of baseball to play in.[/list]
It's a fascinating combination of circumstances.

One-year defensive metrics are notoriously fickle.

And, likely, "I'm a year away from cashing in" might have played a role in his decisions on how hard to pursue balls out there. Get that ten-year guaranteed contract, and maybe the 2019 numbers look way better.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #18
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
One-year defensive metrics are notoriously fickle.

And, likely, "I'm a year away from cashing in" might have played a role in his decisions on how hard to pursue balls out there. Get that ten-year guaranteed contract, and maybe the 2019 numbers look way better.

Fair, but his defense isn't exactly inspiring over multiple years as well, if I remember correctly.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #19
BYU 14
Coordinator

I would prefer no DH in either league, but if the choice was 1 or both I say both.

I like increasing roster size to 26, but think expanded should be at least 30 so a few top prospects can get some end of season MLB time.

Pitch clock is a great idea, but 20 seconds?
1-15 second pitch clock
2-Batter has to stay in the box once he steps in unless he is hurt (such as fouling a ball off the instep or a hummingbird flies into his mouth) The pace of play is worse than fucking Test Cricket right now.

Everything else I could either care less about or it's stupid (I.E extra inning courtesy runners, though I could deal with it in the All-Star game, just not ever regular season)

Last edited by BYU 14 : 02-06-2019 at 04:28 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #20
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Extra inning runners is dumb.
I prefer something like game day active pitchers vs set batter requirements. You get 4-5 relievers and one(or more) emergency guy if the game goes extras or is a blowout.
26 regulars is fine but no more than 13 total pitchers.
DH is kinda dumb, and I don’t have a strong opinion on it.
But if I’m seeing the Yankees in an NL stadium I’d rather see Giancarlo hit instead of JA Happ.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #21
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
1) MLBPA needs to fuck off. I'd sooner see them strike permanently than institute that bullshit.

2) silly

3) nothing but an ownership power play on that, no rule (that I'm aware of) requires teams to call up to the max so if they choose to put themselves at a disadvantage to save a few dollars, let that be on them

4) considerably sillier than #2. But don't blame purists for not stopping it (which kinda seemed to be what you were doing), none of us with any sense of what baseball is supports any of this fucktard stuff

5) whoever came up with that runner at 2nd horseshit ought to be hung by the neck in the public square until dead & their corpse left in place until nothing remains but sun-bleached bones

What he said.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #22
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think they should make the roster limit 27 with two inactives (I’d imagine yesterday’s and tomorrow’s starting pitchers).

I used to be completely against the DH for all, but there over the last few years I have seen too many numbnuts managers overthink pinch hit/substitutions.

Salary floor/cap would be nice, too. I have no beef with the Red Sox because they have developed a lot of their own talent to offset things, but they paid Pablo Sandoval, Hanley Ramirez and Rusney Castillo something like $50M not to play for them last season and still won the championship. In other sports, making bad decisions like that would have pretty devastating consequences. In the MLB, they can still outspend all but 5 or 6 teams.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Goodbye DL, hello IL.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I also don't get why they would want to limit the September rosters. They can already self-limit. Sounds like term limits. Seems like a negotiating tactic to have something easy you're "giving up".

It's to allow teams to cut back on service time accrued. Think of it as the other end of the calendar that sees teams stashing players in the minors until mid-May despite them being major league ready.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #25
JPhillips
General Manager

There's also a lot of complaints about all the pitching changes in September games.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:32 PM   #26
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Marlins in a nutshell from an article on ESPN.

Quote:
Of the Marlins' all-time top 25 players, by WAR -- Realmuto ranks 16th -- 23 have now been traded away, rather than held onto until they reached free agency.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #27
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Orioles' long time radio play by play guy, Joe Angel, announced his retirement this week. He made a lot of crappy baseball more entertaining to listen to.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #28
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The Marlins in a nutshell from an article on ESPN.

On the flip side if the World Series title is desired achievement (I would argue that regular seasons, attendance, revenue, etc are just as important) they have won more since their inception than everyone but Boston, New York, San Francisco, Toronto, and St. Louis. (And are tied with Toronto and St. Louis)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #29
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbot View Post
Orioles' long time radio play by play guy, Joe Angel, announced his retirement this week. He made a lot of crappy baseball more entertaining to listen to.

Why now? I wonder if this was planned or if he’s being driven away by Angelos as was Jon Miller.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #30
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Why now? I wonder if this was planned or if he’s being driven away by Angelos as was Jon Miller.

He's in his early 70's I think. Had heard some rumor type stuff that he was thinking of either cutting back or retiring altogether. Maybe the thought of watching another 50-ish win team again pushed his decision?

Then again, can't ever totally rule out the Angelos factor.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #31
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
On the flip side if the World Series title is desired achievement (I would argue that regular seasons, attendance, revenue, etc are just as important) they have won more since their inception than everyone but Boston, New York, San Francisco, Toronto, and St. Louis. (And are tied with Toronto and St. Louis)

I can't speak for hardcore Marlins fans* but I would think that playoffs would be the desired achievement because every time they have made the playoffs(2), they have won the World Series(2).

*Yes, actually are a few hardcore Marlins fans.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #32
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I can't speak for hardcore Marlins fans* but I would think that playoffs would be the desired achievement because every time they have made the playoffs(2), they have won the World Series(2).

*Yes, actually are a few hardcore Marlins fans.

Miami is a tough market. I have no problem with the way they do things. Win and strip it down and win again in 5 years. Best way to use that market.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:26 PM   #33
miami_fan
Coordinator

No need to lie, Miami is not even a good sports market.

That being said, the distrust of the Marlins organization under all ownership groups is unique even for that market.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 AM   #34
frnk55
High School Varsity

Unless I missed it why aren't the Dodgers going for Harper or resigning Manny Machado..sp? They have more money than God and it seems they don't care about the over the amount tax line.

38 days till opening day.......

Last edited by frnk55 : 02-18-2019 at 07:05 AM.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #35
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Unless I missed it why aren't the Dodgers going for Harper or resigning Manny Machado..sp? They have more money than God and it seems they don't care about the over the amount tax line.

38 days till opening day.......

They don't want to go over the tax line. Doesn't mean they won't but had Ryu not signed that QO, they might be more involved
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #36
lungs
Pro Rookie

With all this talk of teams not spending, my Brewers actually spending a bit. As they should be with their window wide open. To be fair, they aren't handing out huge long-term deals but they are getting some nice players on one-year deals like Grandal and Moustakas. From what I've seen, their payroll will be in the $125 million range this year, highest in team history.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #37
tarcone
Coordinator

I dont think its a spending problem, I think it is a time problem. As i length of contracts. No one wants to get saddled like the Angels did with Pujols.

2 years and $80 mil is easier to swallow than 10 and $400

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #38
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I dont think its a spending problem, I think it is a time problem. As i length of contracts. No one wants to get saddled like the Angels did with Pujols.

2 years and $80 mil is easier to swallow than 10 and $400

Apples and oranges. Pujols was 31 when he signed his 10-year deal (and rumors persisted as to whether he was 31, or older than that, due to the unreliability of Dominican birth certificates).

Harper and Machado are 26, and neither of them have that uncertainty.

It isn't about fear of getting saddled with an albatross. It's about front offices treating the luxury tax as a de facto salary cap because it scares players into signing for less than they're worth rather than risk unemployment.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #39
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
or resigning Manny Machado..sp?

Maybe they figure they've got their quota on guys who are lifetime .213 hitters in the post-season.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #40
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Machado to the PAdres.

10/$300
Old 02-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #41
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Padres gonna Padre?

The stat guy in me can't help but think this is a good move - he's young enough and good enough that the contract size/length isn't that bad.

Then I think about how often the Padres do this and it blows up in their face. Or that teams with that much of their payroll invested into one player are usually doing it wrong.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #42
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Padres gonna Padre?

The stat guy in me can't help but think this is a good move - he's young enough and good enough that the contract size/length isn't that bad.

Then I think about how often the Padres do this and it blows up in their face. Or that teams with that much of their payroll invested into one player are usually doing it wrong.

How often have they done it?

They just showed their 4 largest signings. It was Hosmer at 144, Myers at 82, Then Shields and Peavy around 50 each.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #43
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Padres gonna Padre?

Their farm system and young players are solid. The Padres will likely find a way to blow it but this team should win a title with some pitching.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #44
JPhillips
General Manager

Wow. The Padres have 23 mil in retained salary for this year. That equals almost a third of their total 2019 payroll(pre-Machado).
Old 02-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #45
spleen1015
Coordinator

You have lots of talent and you want that talent to be influenced by Manny Machado.

Oooooooookay....
Old 02-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
You have lots of talent and you want that talent to be influenced by Manny Machado. Oooooooookay....

Padres doing Padre things.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #47
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm so tired of Yankee fans acting like every other baseball team/ city is a second class operation.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #48
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Don Newcombe, former Dodgers great, dies at 92 - Los Angeles Times
Old 02-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #49
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
How often have they done it?

They just showed their 4 largest signings. It was Hosmer at 144, Myers at 82, Then Shields and Peavy around 50 each.

This is the third time in the last five years or so that I can remember. I think it was 2016 or 2017 when they unilaterally "won the off-season" with a bunch of lauded free agent signings and trades, and they bombed that year. Then the Hosmer deal this past season looked terrible when it was signed and looks worse now one year in. Probably a recency bias at work, but the Padres have been a laughing stock for so long now that it's hard to remember what really is versus the narrative they've (accidentally) built up around themselves.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #50
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Awesome article, thanks for sharing. I knew he had done some good work after the game, but didn't know the half of it.