Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #7551
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They'd be dumb if they didn't.

I'm thinking a Shane/Bryan vs Zayn/Owens match would be great at Mania. Shane can take his dumb bump and everyone else can put on a great match.

I mean and if he's "back" he has to be on a Brock schedule too I would assume.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #7552
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Although I have relatively low expectations for the show based on the card, I will mention that NJPW's show in Long Beach is available live tonight on AXS. (8p eastern, 5p pacific).

I don't think it'll be the best sample of the overall product but if someone wanted to just see some of the roster in action live, there's an unusual opportunity that doesn't involve the company website.

#fwiw
Old 03-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #7553
RainMaker
General Manager

Is there anyone I should be paying attention to? Don't really follow NJPW outside of a few top names.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #7554
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is there anyone I should be paying attention to? Don't really follow NJPW outside of a few top names.

Half the guys involved? LOL.

I just did a quick match by match preview on my FB, I'll paste that here & you can pick & choose. Spoiler tagged just to cover up how long it is

Spoiler
Old 03-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #7555
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I'll say this about 8 and try to be as vague as I can. The champion is wrestling the challenger because he is being used as an indirect wedge to help breakup the challengers faction. The promotion interview between the two was the champion making fun of the faction and telling the challenger that he wasn't on his level because he was into making youtube videos about his manhood instead of trying to be a champion.

Also in 9b, there was another promo in roh in which the division of bc is offered up again (tv tappings the next night)

1, 5, 7 and 9 are probably the matches I'd enjoy the most just looking at the card.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #7556
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Also in 9b, there was another promo in roh in which the division of bc is offered up again (tv tappings the next night)

1, 5, 7 and 9 are probably the matches I'd enjoy the most just looking at the card.

In terms of what I expect to enjoy most, I'd say 7 & 9 probably, 'cause 1 is hurt by how much I don't give a shit about one of the sides in the match.

In terms of match quality, I honestly think 8 might be the contender to be the biggest surprise, which will have me watching it just to see if that happens.

Oddly enough, the guys on the show that I enjoy most overall as individual talents/entertainers are stuck in matches that I didn't mention. Scurll working in the U.K. against a local, for example, is a pure delight to me as a viewer, sheer artistry.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:16 PM   #7557
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
In terms of what I expect to enjoy most, I'd say 7 & 9 probably, 'cause 1 is hurt by how much I don't give a shit about one of the sides in the match.

In terms of match quality, I honestly think 8 might be the contender to be the biggest surprise, which will have me watching it just to see if that happens.

Oddly enough, the guys on the show that I enjoy most overall as individual talents/entertainers are stuck in matches that I didn't mention. Scurll working in the U.K. against a local, for example, is a pure delight to me as a viewer, sheer artistry.

I can see it with 1 and I was impressed with Sky @ ROH16 since I hadn't seen him much. At least you know you will see a BME with the opening match which should get the crowd into it.

I have that same feeling about match 4 as Scurll is the only person I'd wanted to see as I think his partners work is way overrated right now. As much as I like Marty, I have zero interest in this match and would rather see a match involving Takahashi and Natio.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:08 PM   #7558
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dear me, AXS coverage/production is horrible.

Hearing the voiceover guy mispronounce names in the opening video ought to be fucking embarrassing for AXS.

And their attempt to do ECW style camera work ain't much better.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #7559
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

All I know is JR is right. These guys need to get out of the fucking ring. Other than that it was alright.

How does that get through to the live coverage. Yikes.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:39 PM   #7560
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
All I know is JR is right. These guys need to get out of the fucking ring. Other than that it was alright.

How does that get through to the live coverage. Yikes.

They have got to get rid of this AXS deal. Their coverage of this was somewhere between tragic & comic last year (JR was flat out embarrassing honestly), it's not a ton better overall this year.

Compared to the usual NJPW English commentary, it's a major downgrade every time AXS gets involved.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:05 PM   #7561
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Props to Liger, that's pretty much the best performance I've seen from him in going on two years.

I shat upon the likelihood of that in my pre-show comments, Liger showed me up.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #7562
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

@jonsthreecents

I'd be fine if one of those V-triggers decapitated a Jackson brother ... and that's a tribute to how well the Jacksons have played their roles here. #njSSE
Old 03-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #7563
RainMaker
General Manager

I enjoyed it. Was excited to see Juice since I remember him a bit from NXT and heard he's improved a lot.

Cody is still not the best in the ring but he sure understands the business. I wish we had gotten Scurll's own entrance though because it's one of the best in the business.

Also agree with the AXS coverage. JR just doesn't seem invested in it. The camera work reminds me of a local indy promotion from Chicago in the 90's that had practically no money.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #7564
RainMaker
General Manager

Few weeks old but this is a terrific piece on Cody.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/6/1...-rhodes-all-in
Old 03-26-2018, 01:05 PM   #7565
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I enjoyed it. Was excited to see Juice since I remember him a bit from NXT and heard he's improved a lot.

Cody is still not the best in the ring but he sure understands the business. I wish we had gotten Scurll's own entrance though because it's one of the best in the business.

Also agree with the AXS coverage. JR just doesn't seem invested in it. The camera work reminds me of a local indy promotion from Chicago in the 90's that had practically no money.

I think my biggest problem with Cody is that he doesn't have "that" match. I mean most of his highest ranked matches are involving 6 or more people. But if someone asked me for a great 4* match from him I couldn't provide it.

I mean I think he can tell a good story. I think he has a good understanding of the business in the front and the back. I just never see the payoff with him when the match is over.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #7566
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone here subscribe to New Japan World? Does it show a majority of their shows or are a lot of them still not shown(how often do they put on shows)? What % would you say are shown in English? I’m pretty intrigued after last night’s show.

Last edited by dubb93 : 03-26-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:46 PM   #7567
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Anyone here subscribe to New Japan World? Does it show a majority of their shows or are a lot of them still not shown(how often do they put on shows)? What % would you say are shown in English? I’m pretty intrigued after last night’s show.

Ehhh, I'd say close to 40% the shows on the network have English commentary (maybe a little less, occasionally more, kinda depends on what tour they're running at the time).

Honestly, once you're in the flow with everything (and there definitely is a certain rhythm to how they do things) you may find yourself like we are here in the batcave, comfortably following everything even when there's only Japanese commentary. If nothing else it's interesting to discover which words they have to use Engrish for lol. And, despite my expectations going in, I think Kevin Kelly & Don Callis actually do a great job hitting the right tone for American fans of the product.

And best I can tell, almost pretty much every "named" show appears on the network. And that's not just the PPV-level ones, I mean all the "Road To ... " shows as well. It's rare at this point that I don't have the opportunity to see almost anything they do.

Do keep in mind though that the schedule can seem erratic to an American viewer. You may have 3 shows in a week, or 4-5 in 10-12 days but then go 10 days without one. It's that "touring schedule" deal so there can be some feast or famine. The shows tend to be long (3 hours and up isn't unusual) so when they're really busy then it becomes challenging just to watch it all in a timely manner.

And, fair warning: their website is pretty awesomely awful. Even the English translation page is ... challenging. It's doable but it ain't the prettiest or simplest to navigate.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-26-2018 at 06:47 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #7568
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wish we had gotten Scurll's own entrance though because it's one of the best in the business.

Whoop whoop
Old 03-26-2018, 06:54 PM   #7569
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thankfully, JR seemed significantly more prepared than he was last year. Not always on target with his comments, but waaaaaay better than last year.

After Barnett had what sounded to me like an off-mic moment early in the show, the commentary settled down to be reasonably tolerable. It felt like they tightened up their shit a good bit after that happened.

The camera work tho, good Lord, after getting used to watching the NJPW presentation -- which has a definite style of its own -- it's jarring.

The dandy YouTuber "Showbuckle" did a video about that which really illustrates it
New Japan Pro Wrestling's Sublime Video Production Style - YouTube
Old 04-07-2018, 11:32 PM   #7570
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

That NXT card. HOW DO THEY KEEP GETTING BETTER?
Old 04-08-2018, 12:58 AM   #7571
RainMaker
General Manager

Amazing show. Tough act to follow for Wrestlemania.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #7572
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

All we need is a Heyman turn on Lesnar, and a full heel turn for Reigns aligning with Paul. Bam. Your hottest instant heel for 2018.

But we all know it ain't happening.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #7573
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
All we need is a Heyman turn on Lesnar, and a full heel turn for Reigns aligning with Paul. Bam. Your hottest instant heel for 2018.

But we all know it ain't happening.
Some things are too perfect for this world...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:14 PM   #7574
RainMaker
General Manager

Did anyone watch the ROH show? Wondering how it was.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:59 PM   #7575
cmp
Pro Rookie

Can we just be done with Roman Reigns yet? A heel turn is all that save him.

Last edited by cmp : 04-08-2018 at 10:59 PM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #7576
RainMaker
General Manager

This main event is so bad.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:03 PM   #7577
cmp
Pro Rookie

Wow. I didn't see that finish coming.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:20 PM   #7578
RainMaker
General Manager

I just don't get it. Can't remember a WM main event that had this little buzz. Crowd didn't seem to care much either way. Chants of "this is awful" and "cm punk" throughout.

I'd understand if Roman was selling tickets like Cena does, but by all accounts he doesn't. He's never going to get over doing the same thing year after year.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:37 PM   #7579
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Pretty sad ending to a decent Wrestlemania. Nothing special considering how many big matches there were.

When the crowd is chanting Boring, CM Punk and This Is Awful during the Wrestlemania main event, you should realize you're doing something wrong. Both of these wrestlers are horrible, in the 10 minutes of the match they essentially did 4 moves 50 times. Superman Punch, Spear, German Suplex and F5. Maybe they should sit these guys down and make them watch some NXT, that show was amazing. And maybe Roman can jump a little for those German Suplexes, it looked like someone giving my mom a German Suplex. His feet barely lifted off the mat. Maybe next year will be Roman Reign's year. A 5th consecutive Wrestlemania main event, I'm sure the crowd will warm up to him by then.

Until they said the kid's name was Nicholas, I couldn't tell if it was a boy or a girl, and neither could my son. It was obviously staged, as they could never trust a fan to stay on the outside. Then when he was hot tagged in that became even more obvious. Will he be touring around defending his tag titles? Will he have a last name in the record books as a champion?

Before those two dumb matches, I did enjoy the rest of the show though. My favorite was probably Charlotte against Asuka, that match felt really important, and there was a lot on the line. I also enjoyed the Styles / Nakamura match, and will look forward to seeing the rematches.

I was so happy to see Daniel Bryan back. It's obvious that he loves what he does, and he was back in at 100%. He wasn't getting special treatment in any way, taking hard bumps. I'm a little concerned that he may feel like a nostalgia act soon though, as he hasn't changed anything up in the 2 years that he was gone. I was thinking he would turn heel and align with Owens and Zayn to make a crazy good stable.

Also, this is 2018. Aren't we past using little people as pancakes? That was uncomfortable to watch.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:48 PM   #7580
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Also, Rhonda Rousey is a PRO. Her first match and she's already better than half the roster.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:03 AM   #7581
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Also, Rhonda Rousey is a PRO. Her first match and she's already better than half the roster.

As my kid said to me, crazy talented but green as grass.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #7582
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I'm extremely disappointed with the Styles-Nakamura match. It should have been a classic, but for whatever reason didn't even get to the level of the Page-White earlier this month...which is absolutely mind blowing to me.

All that said....HHH can lay out a freaking match. How that match was as good as it was I will never know. The roll he has going on in NXT as well, he obviously has a major hand in those matches too.

Hopefully at Summerslam we get Styles-Nakamura again, but with HHH and HBK producing the match.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #7583
cmp
Pro Rookie

Styles-Nakamura felt like it was at the point where it was about to get really good, and then it just ended.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #7584
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
Can we just be done with Roman Reigns yet? A heel turn is all that save him.

Can we just be done with Brock yet. Roman has put on decent matches in the past few years. What's the best Brock match over the past 2 years? Roman can't do a thing if the other guy doesn't want to play. Just ask Ambrose at 32.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #7585
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
Styles-Nakamura felt like it was at the point where it was about to get really good, and then it just ended.

One thing I'm not buying is that the largely quiet crowd response was just "Japanese heat". There's pretty much zero chance of that happening at a Wrestlemania, that's not who those ticketbuyers are.

I believe the match was where it was & was structured the way it was so they could ultimately say "see, the crowd just wasn't that into it". They weren't uninterested you twits, they were just exhausted.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #7586
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can we just be done with Brock yet.

Aside from Heyman, I've been done with the disinterested SOB since he got back in the first place.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #7587
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
One thing I'm not buying is that the largely quiet crowd response was just "Japanese heat". There's pretty much zero chance of that happening at a Wrestlemania, that's not who those ticketbuyers are.

I believe the match was where it was & was structured the way it was so they could ultimately say "see, the crowd just wasn't that into it". They weren't uninterested you twits, they were just exhausted.

I'm not sure he gives a shit anymore. It seems like he signed on with the WWE for a less stressful style compared to Japan and this was an easy way to collect a check when getting older. I don't think we will ever see a top quality match from him while in the WWE.

I didn't think the crowd was ever into anything last night. A year ago I can remember thinking Naka or Roode's theme would blow the roof of the building and both were so-so reactions.

Pre-show match and 1st half of the show was great so maybe it was exhaustion of the crowd.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #7588
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Aside from Heyman, I've been done with the disinterested SOB since he got back in the first place.

If you believe dirt sheets so is Vince now. Hopefully they didn't resign him and he will drop the strap tonight.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #7589
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not sure he gives a shit anymore. It seems like he signed on with the WWE for a less stressful style compared to Japan and this was an easy way to collect a check when getting older. I don't think we will ever see a top quality match from him while in the WWE.

That's one reason I found the presence of Tanahashi, Okada, and Suzuki interesting.

I couldn't help but wonder if, just maybe, they either were hoping to light a little fire or have a little conversation/prompt some recollection of when he was hotter.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #7590
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Until they said the kid's name was Nicholas, I couldn't tell if it was a boy or a girl, and neither could my son. It was obviously staged, as they could never trust a fan to stay on the outside. Then when he was hot tagged in that became even more obvious. Will he be touring around defending his tag titles? Will he have a last name in the record books as a champion?

It turns out that “Nicholas” is actually the son of WWE referee John Cone.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #7591
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I didn't think the crowd was ever into anything last night. A year ago I can remember thinking Naka or Roode's theme would blow the roof of the building and both were so-so reactions.

Pre-show match and 1st half of the show was great so maybe it was exhaustion of the crowd.

Just seems too long of a show. Not sure what they can do to fix it since there isn't a clear answer to what you cut.

I think what hurt WM is that there was just no good builds into any of the matches. You're coming a day after Ciampo-Gargano which was built up for like a year. Was there any match on the card that had a tenth of the emotion that that angle had?

Heck, they made me not even care about Daniel Bryan coming back. Why did they not have him go against Miz?
Old 04-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #7592
Calis
College Starter

I've been out of the loop for quite a while but have been thinking about trying out a NJPW Show and was leaning towards one of their English commentary ones to ease me in...any suggestions? Is Wrestle Kingdom 12 the way to go or is there a better option?
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #7593
RainMaker
General Manager

Wonder if they'll have Brock drop it here. Being hyped up as a big deal. Guessing the crowd would be much more Roman friendly.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #7594
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I've been out of the loop for quite a while but have been thinking about trying out a NJPW Show and was leaning towards one of their English commentary ones to ease me in...any suggestions? Is Wrestle Kingdom 12 the way to go or is there a better option?

The one danger with that approach, perhaps, is that it sets the bar pretty high.

That's fine, but just understand (over the long term) that you're seeing what amounts to a "season finale". Given their tendency to do long-term storytelling -- with little/not-so-little callbacks that can be years old -- that means any one show can be a bit less than the sum of the parts.

(The consistently great YT'er Showbuckle just did a video about this with some examples of what I mean)

I don't have a better suggestion for what to start with honestly, short of watching something like the entire G1 Climax, but just do so with an good understanding that there may not be one perfect place to start either.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #7595
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Aaaand Lesnar has signed a new contract
Old 04-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #7596
RainMaker
General Manager

I find Lesnar fine for a match or two each year. But having him hold your main title of Raw seems kind of silly. I wonder if they'll swap guys around next week and get AJ over to Raw and Reigns to Smackdown (which means Reigns will beat Lesnar in Saudi Arabia). The WWE Championship should probably be on Raw and Reigns might work better over on Smackdown for awhile.

Last edited by RainMaker : 04-09-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #7597
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Bobby Lashley returns.

That's one good reason for Lesnar to keep the title.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #7598
RainMaker
General Manager

And for what it's worth, it doesn't sound like his new deal is for many appearance. Sounds like he'll do the Saudi show to drop the belt and be off till after he fights UFC at the end of the year.

So the Saudi show and WM with some TV appearances thrown in.

Not sure how credible this guy is:

Old 04-09-2018, 11:53 PM   #7599
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not sure how credible this guy is:

Jeremy Botter (@jeremybotter)

He's, umm, controversial I guess. Or polarizing might be better.
He's right at times, wrong at times.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:45 AM   #7600
Mota
College Benchwarmer

So it looks like Roman Reigns will get his get moment as he becomes champion and gets cheered by the super casual non-smark audience.

The next day, he will come back to North America, and continue to be treated by the fans as they always have. What's the difference?