Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #1
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Seattle - NYG - question

Why on earth didnt Holgrem go for 2 there after scoring the TD? You're up 20-13 with 4 min left - 2 points makes it a definite 2 possesion game - and missing it means the other team still needs a TD. Instead, going for 1 means that the Giants don't even have to worry about scoring it twice a TD could tie it. It seems defensive on Seattle's part IMO.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 11-27-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
streetballer22
Mascot

I'd rather kick the extra point in that situation but it's understandable either way.

Last edited by streetballer22 : 11-27-2005 at 06:08 PM.
streetballer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Ummm.. You normally don't see teams go for two in that situation.. Basically going up 8 ensures OT and you can lose if you fail and the other team scores a TD and a 2-pointer.. I would always go for one in that situation.

Last edited by INDalltheway : 11-27-2005 at 06:09 PM.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

All it means is that he thought it more likely that NY would miss the conversion than SEA would make it. Which is the proper call, considering that the success rate is something like 45%.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 11-27-2005 at 06:10 PM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:14 PM   #5
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

"You've also got the two minute warning!"
They just scored a touchdown, you moron.

Old 11-27-2005, 06:18 PM   #6
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Huh - just saw that the NFL average is 50%. I think that given that the Giants are the no 1 offense in the NFL, you should have gone for 2 there.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:25 PM   #7
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
Huh - just saw that the NFL average is 50%. I think that given that the Giants are the no 1 offense in the NFL, you should have gone for 2 there.

From 1994-2003 the cumulative rate was 43.5%. Don't know what it has been the past few years.

Old 11-27-2005, 06:27 PM   #8
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
From 1994-2003 the cumulative rate was 43.5%. Don't know what it has been the past few years.

Okay, fair enough. Just during the game, they flashed the conversion rate this season, which was 50%. Not a hindsight thing, but Seattle's been good - and it seems that could have ended the game, especially since you know that the Giants wouldn't have gone for 2 if they scored. Worst case - a tie IMO.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:32 PM   #9
Rizon
Pro Starter

Seattle gets away with one there. Is it just me, or does Ray Rhodes' defenses go from good to extremely bad with the game on the line? It just seems like teams go to town on them late in 4th quarters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:36 PM   #10
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Rhodes isnt the DC - he's out for the season I believe.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #11
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Never. Always take the point and the 8 point lead.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:01 PM   #12
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

How 'bout that Jay Feely?

Old 11-27-2005, 07:01 PM   #13
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Jay Feely is trying to get himself cut - short on a 45 yarder ?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:10 PM   #14
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Jay Feeley should get NFL MVP I wonder if the Giants will murder him in the locker room, and then skin him and eat him. And when they are done, go after his family as well.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:50 PM   #15
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Jay Feely is so fired... or at least he should be. Missing the really long one, I can understand. The other two, though. Gah.

As for going for two when you're up by seven, my opinion doesn't mean anything, but I completely disagree. Even if the Giants convert half their two-point conversions, they convert far more of their extra points. At least make them work for the tie if they score a touchdown. There would be no need for the Seahawks to risk donking off their own two-point conversion try and then handing the Giants seven points on the other end.

The Giants made a great call on their two-point conversion play, but at least Seattle could've stopped it if they'd been prepared on defense. If the lead had only been seven points, there's really not a whole lot that Seattle could've done to prevent a tie. In addition to that, with the Giants being on the road and having a decent two-point conversion success rate and with going for two being all the rage with the coaches these days, I'm not 100% certain that Coughlin wouldn't have gone for two points and the win in regulation.

I know there are lots of times that coaches look like geniuses when their crazy plans work, and there are times when they look like idiots when they fail. Regardless of the outcome of this game, however, I don't think Holmgren could ever come off looking bad for taking an eight-point lead over a seven-point lead, even if the Giants had won. No personal offense meant to Crapshoot, but this seems like one of the weirdest times to second-guess a coach's decision.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 11-27-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:06 AM   #16
TroyF
Coordinator

I disagree, I first guessed the decision.

The Giants aren't going to try to win the game with a two point conversion. That happens very rarely. In fact, the only time I can remember a team scoring the TD and going for two to win vs. a tie is the TB game a week ago and there was a series of bizzare circumstances to make that happen.

Coughlin isn't the most unpredictable coach in the world. I'd say the odds are 99.999999% he takes the tie and kicks the extra point.

So you can seal the game with a two and a miss leaves you with the same situation you ended up in anyway. I think it was a poor coaching decision.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:43 AM   #17
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

You kick the ball there every single time. But thanks for playing!
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:59 AM   #18
oykib
College Starter

I wouldn't have killed Holmgren if he had gone for two. But it wasn't a bad decision to kick the XP. I'd have kicked.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:34 AM   #19
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
I disagree, I first guessed the decision.

The Giants aren't going to try to win the game with a two point conversion. That happens very rarely. In fact, the only time I can remember a team scoring the TD and going for two to win vs. a tie is the TB game a week ago and there was a series of bizzare circumstances to make that happen.

Coughlin isn't the most unpredictable coach in the world. I'd say the odds are 99.999999% he takes the tie and kicks the extra point.

So you can seal the game with a two and a miss leaves you with the same situation you ended up in anyway. I think it was a poor coaching decision.

I see your point. However, the chances of stopping a two-point conversion that the Giants have to attempt are far greater than the chances of stopping an extra point. Yes, if the Seahawks go for two and miss, they probably end up in the same situation, but that's looking at it from a results-oriented position. If the Giants hadn't made their two-point conversion, does Holmgren look so bad then? I would guess that you'd say yes to that, but consider the question rhetorical.

If we forget for a moment that Jay Feely did get a chance to win the game in regulation, the Seahawks practically assured themselves of no worse than overtime. Sure, going for two and missing could do essentially the same thing, but Seattle couldn't lose the game in regulation by kicking that extra point (again, ignoring Feely's last-second attempt).

Have two-point conversions become so easy that coaches are now assuming that the other team WILL make them? It is, at its absolute best, a 50-50 play. An extra point is, at its absolute worst, 98-2 (unless Chip Lohmiller unretires). Holmgren took the 98-2 play on offense and the 50-50 play on defense. To me, I think it's the right move because he forced the other team to take a 50-50 shot at forcing overtime.

When two-point conversions become nearly as automatic as an extra point, maybe I'll see it the other way. Right now, there must be something that I'm just not wrapping my head around.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:45 AM   #20
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway
Ummm..

You're the man Ross, but I hate it when people start off their point with "Umm". It's so damned condescending, it makes me ignore whatever point is made by the person.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:55 AM   #21
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

I look at it this way. If you kick, you can't lose, and can still win even if NYG scores a TD (50/50). If you go for two and get it, you win. If you go for two and fail, you get a tie if there is a TD (I am pretty sure Coughlin would have taken OT instead of going for two when down by 7). With this assumption, you are guaranteed of not losing either way. So, what gives the best chance of winning? If you feel you have a better chance of stoppng NYG from making the two than your own team getting it, then you kick it. Historically, teams get the two about 40-45% of the time, so you kick it. If its 50-50, it's a push.

But, how about the great call Holmgren made with the timeout after the Shockey "fumble." This was done specifically to give the booth officials time to review the play on their own (not for the fumble but whether Shockey made the catch to begin with). The loss of 16 yards was why Feely missed the kick.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 11-28-2005 at 01:59 AM.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:04 AM   #22
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez
I look at it this way. If you kick, you can't lose, and can still win even if NYG scores a TD (50/50). If you go for two and get it, you win. If you go for two and fail, you get a tie if there is a TD (I am pretty sure Coughlin would have taken OT instead of going for two when down by 7). With this assumption, you are guaranteed of not losing either way. So, what gives the best chance of winning? If you feel you have a better chance of stoppng NYG from making the two than your own team getting it, then you kick it. Historically, teams get the two about 40-45% of the time, so you kick it. If its 50-50, it's a push.

But there if you go for two and miss you do give the opponent the option of going for the win on a TD. Given the calls by Vermeil and Gruden in the last few weeks, you really can't rule that out.

Take the easy point and make them get in the endzone twice to tie the game.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:53 AM   #23
Samdari
Roster Filler

You'd rather be kicking and extra point and have the other team going for two than missing the two and having the other team kick an extra point to tie. Its a no-brainer to kick, and NFL coaches will do it 100% of the time.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:09 AM   #24
TroyF
Coordinator

Still disagree. You go for the throat there. Especially with the way the Seahawks defense has been collapsing the last few weeks. If you have a chance to put the game out of reach, you do it.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:29 AM   #25
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Still disagree. You go for the throat there. Especially with the way the Seahawks defense has been collapsing the last few weeks. If you have a chance to put the game out of reach, you do it.

You'd rather go for a 45% proposition and give your opponent a 99% one than take a 99% one yourself and force your opponent to take the 45% one?

Can you come play poker at my house some time? Please.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:35 AM   #26
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
You'd rather go for a 45% proposition and give your opponent a 99% one than take a 99% one yourself and force your opponent to take the 45% one?

Lol
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:43 AM   #27
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari

That's just my point, I disagree with your odds.

The way the Seahawks D has been playing lately, I think the odds they stop the two vs converting it themselves are actually better for the Seahawks offense. I'd have given them around a 60% chance of converting it and about a 25% chance of stopping the Giants. I realize that's my personal opinion, but comparing it to poker where the odds are set in stone (ie a K/10 suited is worse than an AA on the deal 100% of the time) is not a fair comparison.

But if you want to compare it to poker I equate it to one guy having the slightly better hand but letting the other guy see free card by not being aggressive in his bet. Instead of getting him the hell out of the hand, you let him hang around where he doesn't belong and he beats you.

Now, if the Seahawks had a real defense? You kick the extra point and wish the Giants luck in not only moving up the field but adding the two. Please understand, this is a team specific thing. Were this the Bears, I'd say you kick the point in a second.

No matter, the other kicker choked his way through the game and the Hawks got the win.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:00 AM   #28
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I agree with Troy. I think the wise play would be to go for 2 and force Coughlin to make the gutsy call to go for the win if you miss it and the Giants get a TD. At that point, you put him on the hotseat to make the call to win the game instead of just tie it. And odds are - Gruden/Vermeil notwithstanding - he doesn't take the bait, kicks the extra point, and at worse, you go to OT. It's worth it for the chance to make it a 2 score game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-28-2005 at 08:01 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:01 AM   #29
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
You're the man Ross, but I hate it when people start off their point with "Umm". It's so damned condescending, it makes me ignore whatever point is made by the person.
Umm...okay.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 08:09 AM   #30
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
The way the Seahawks D has been playing lately, I think the odds they stop the two vs converting it themselves are actually better for the Seahawks offense. I'd have given them around a 60% chance of converting it and about a 25% chance of stopping the Giants.

Well, that's why you're not an NFL coach (among other things, like lack of pedigree, connections and experience). I'll give you 60%, but I would say that's the highest possible chance any NFL team would have to score a two against any other. To suggest higher is ludicrous. No offense is that good, no defense is that bad.

EDIT: I especially do not see the disparity you mention here, since the teams ended up tied. Wouldn't that indicate that they had roughly equal chance against the other's defense? Would't the average number of points each scored against the other indicate that each's offense vs. defense success rate be just about at the league average? I just don't see where what happened on the field validates your evaluations.

Last edited by Samdari : 11-28-2005 at 08:16 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:22 AM   #31
Joe
Pro Starter

I'd go for 2, but thats why I'll never be a head coach.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:04 PM   #32
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Jay Feely is so fired... or at least he should be. Missing the really long one, I can understand. The other two, though. Gah.

As for going for two when you're up by seven, my opinion doesn't mean anything, but I completely disagree. Even if the Giants convert half their two-point conversions, they convert far more of their extra points. At least make them work for the tie if they score a touchdown. There would be no need for the Seahawks to risk donking off their own two-point conversion try and then handing the Giants seven points on the other end.

The Giants made a great call on their two-point conversion play, but at least Seattle could've stopped it if they'd been prepared on defense. If the lead had only been seven points, there's really not a whole lot that Seattle could've done to prevent a tie. In addition to that, with the Giants being on the road and having a decent two-point conversion success rate and with going for two being all the rage with the coaches these days, I'm not 100% certain that Coughlin wouldn't have gone for two points and the win in regulation.

I know there are lots of times that coaches look like geniuses when their crazy plans work, and there are times when they look like idiots when they fail. Regardless of the outcome of this game, however, I don't think Holmgren could ever come off looking bad for taking an eight-point lead over a seven-point lead, even if the Giants had won. No personal offense meant to Crapshoot, but this seems like one of the weirdest times to second-guess a coach's decision.

Pumpy, look at the timestamp on my post- I first guessed the decision as it happened - not after the game. To me, Seattle scoring 2 ends the game right there- therefore, they should have done so.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:18 PM   #33
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Pumpy, look at the timestamp on my post- I first guessed the decision as it happened - not after the game. To me, Seattle scoring 2 ends the game right there- therefore, they should have done so.

Even so, I still stand by everything I've said so far. It just seems like an odd decision to question. I certainly don't know if I can apply this thought to everyone here, but on the surface, it seems like "video game thinking" for Seattle to go for two points. I mean that if I was playing a video game and I was in Holmgren's spot, I'd probably go for the two points, because I wouldn't really expect my opponent's two-point try to be only 50-50 (at best). Making two yards for a conversion in a video game isn't usually that hard, so I figure that I'd go ahead and get my two points and essentially wrap the game up. In real life, it's obviously not easy to make two-point conversions. It seems that Holmgren decided not to risk conceding overtime. He'd make the Giants score a touchdown (which should be difficult enough) and then force them to do no better than tie. Of course, we've already been through this, so it's just a matter of how we want to interpret it.

I hope I'm not coming off as condescending, as I see where you're coming from and understand your view. I just don't agree. As it is, I don't see Holmgren's PAT decision as being the reason for overtime anyway. Seattle's prevent defense allowed the Giants to walk down the field and score. Then, Seattle's offense turned into a puddle of goo and allowed the Giants another possession. In a series of errors by the Seahawks, I just can't see the PAT as being one of them.

Just a difference of opinion, of course.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #34
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I think the PAT is the play there. Force the Giants to make all the plays.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:24 PM   #35
cougarfreak
College Starter

Who won? I'd guess he made the right call.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #36
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak
Who won? I'd guess he made the right call.

Just because Seattle won, that doesn't make that particular decision right. As much as I'm arguing that it was the right call, they almost lost the game three times because of that decision.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #37
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Just because Seattle won, that doesn't make that particular decision right. As much as I'm arguing that it was the right call, they almost lost the game three times because of that decision.

I think it does.......if he's have gone for two and not converted, they might have lost for sure w/o Feeley even kicking. As it stands, it was the right call.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:44 PM   #38
Daimyo
College Starter

I think you can argue which decision is better strategically for the team, but its clear to me which is better stragically for the coach. If you take the point and then the team allows a touchdown drive, a 2 pt conversion, and then loses in OT its a pretty easy sell that the team just didn't execute. If you go for the 2 pt conversion and fail and then the team allows a touchdown drive and a freak 2 pt conversion everyone is going to point to the one decision by the coach as the reason for the loss. Heck, people will probably still bring it up four years later ala the Detroit decision to kick away in OT.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:17 PM   #39
ZXTT
n00b

Quote:
That's just my point, I disagree with your odds.

The way the Seahawks D has been playing lately [...]

They'd given up one touchdown in about 55 minutes, and that on a play where you couldn't quite tell if Shockey got his second foot down.

Sorry, make the other team execute on offense. The Seahawks have won two games in a year (Atlanta at the end of last year and SF this year) by stopping 2-point conversion attempts at the end.

Taking league averages and ignoring getting the ball back in regulation, I'd say the odds play out like this:

If the other team scores a TD, ~50% chance to win (0 to lose) when they go for the 2-point conversion and ~50% chance to win if the game goes to OT: hence a 75% chance to win (.5 * .5 = .25 chance to lose).

Playing at home and the potential for an extra possession before OT increase the odds of victory. Sleepy offense, of course, reduces the odds...

But really, with Phil Luckett on the field, the Seahawks had to win because Karma owed them one...
ZXTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #40
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
But really, with Phil Luckett on the field, the Seahawks had to win because Karma owed them one...

"Heads or Tails?"........."Heads....Tails".........."Tails it is!"
Old 11-29-2005, 12:41 AM   #41
ZXTT
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
"Heads or Tails?"........."Heads....Tails".........."Tails it is!"

Well, I was thinking of Luckett's other shining moment: it's a bird, it's a plane, it's the football in the endzone - touchdown... bzztt, sorry Phil, that was Vinny's helmet, you know, the green and white probably should've tipped you off...
ZXTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:44 AM   #42
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Yeah, I watch the Hawks every week, and I don't quite get the comment by Troy that the way the Hawks defense was playing lately, they stood only a 25% chance of preventing the 2-point score. I haven't seen anything that would make me believe that they stood a chance of being worse than most other Ds. Frankly, I think the way they have been playing lately, they stand a better chance than the average team of stopping the 2-point conversion.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:46 AM   #43
Travis
Pro Rookie

Hell, they stood as good a chance as any team in the NFL of stopping the two point convert. It's quite hard to play a true prevent D on your own 2 yard line.

Now between the 20's, we've got that prevent thing down pat. 10-15 yards per play, they'll never have time enough to move it down the field that way...
Travis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #44
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Wasn't Phil Luckett also responsible for getting in the way of Joe Horn catching an easy touchdown pass? This was maybe a year or two after Luckett got demoted?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:17 PM   #45
st.cronin
General Manager

Thinking about the decision to go for two in this case, I think it's the right call.

Make it, and you're up by 9 and the game is over.

Miss it, OR kick the extra point, and the other team can still tie. I think it's worth it.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:19 PM   #46
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Thinking about the decision to go for two in this case, I think it's the right call.

Make it, and you're up by 9 and the game is over.

Miss it, OR kick the extra point, and the other team can still tie. I think it's worth it.

CAN still tie or WILL still tie? I know that there was no guarantee that the Giants would score a touchdown, but if they had, you could guarantee that they'd make their extra point. You couldn't guarantee that they'd make a two-point conversion to tie.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:24 PM   #47
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
CAN still tie or WILL still tie? I know that there was no guarantee that the Giants would score a touchdown, but if they had, you could guarantee that they'd make their extra point. You couldn't guarantee that they'd make a two-point conversion to tie.

The point is that a 7 or 8 point lead with that amount of time left is still a ballgame. Going for two is going for the win.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:58 PM   #48
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
The point is that a 7 or 8 point lead with that amount of time left is still a ballgame. Going for two is going for the win.

I think it's more like the following. Seahawks 50% to make a 7 pt lead, a Giant's score 100% to tie. Seahawks 100% to make an 8 pt lead, a Giant's score is 50% to tie,. Seahawks 50% to make 9 pt lead, Giant's need two scores, 0% to tie.

With that, you have to factor in what you think the odds are of the Giants scoring a TD in the first place.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:00 PM   #49
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Giant's need two scores, 0% to tie.

More like 10%-20% to tie (onside kick chance).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:06 PM   #50
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
More like 10%-20% to tie (onside kick chance).

But they won't tie. It'd be to win, although I have no idea what % of onside kicks are actually recovered and then converted for the winning score.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote