Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #401
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

From the department of "hmmm"...
Quote:
Each night the Assassins have a 1 in 10 chance (1/10) of discovering a Noble Leader’s message. Once they discover a Noble Leader’s message they will receive all of that Leader’s messages. If the faction gains a new noble leader, the Assassins will no longer receive the Noble Leader’s messages. The assassins may only be receiving two factions messages at one time.

I don't think that has anything to do with our present situation (it implies, to me, that the assassins are eavesdropping rather than outright intercepting), but it does introduce an interesting complication that I had not previously considered, should they be fortunate enough to get a hit.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:47 AM   #402
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Cronin, maybe I'm missing the role in the game that allows the assassins to prevent the transmission of a message.

I see that they can gain access to the messages, but not stop their delivery.

I don't exactly see it in the rules, either. But, assuming it is possible, there are 4 possibilities.

1. faction leader dropped out of game
2. faction leader chose not to send a message
3. faction leader was turned
4. message was sent and intercepted

I guess I'm starting to see 3 as most likely. I'll wait for some more people to chime in before I proceed.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:48 AM   #403
st.cronin
General Manager

dola - how does the voting work today? Do we vote to jail somebody, AND vote on executing bullet, or do we only cast one vote, either jail/execute/no execute?

knives out
Old 09-27-2006, 10:48 AM   #404
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I don't know if I agree with that - and not just because we're talking about my faction leader. If he had been turned, wouldn't he have still sent a message? I think it's more likely that the message was sent in good faith, but intercepted.

Perhaps, but it seems that nobles in a faction whose message was intercepted would be unaware of that fact.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:49 AM   #405
hoopsguy
General Manager

Cronin, I'll turn towards #3 on that list when I see that the message ability is stripped if a leader is turned.

If a Leader can also be the Fast Talker, and retains the ability to send messages as the Leader/Assassin, then it would be very much in their best interests to continue sending messages to avoid detection.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #406
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Cronin, I tend to think that #1 or #2 are the most likely. I think if an assassin becomes/became a Faction Leader, that that assassin would be able to send messages to that faction.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #407
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
Cronin, I tend to think that #1 or #2 are the most likely. I think if an assassin becomes/became a Faction Leader, that that assassin would be able to send messages to that faction.

The fact fast talking nobles can become faction leaders and even become crowned means they must be able to send messages. If not, it would disrupt that entire element of the game.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #408
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

At this point, I am going to be looking at the super-quiet folks for my jail vote. If we can't learn from their words, we can learn from the points we get for killing them.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #409
hoopsguy
General Manager

Blade/NTN - I'm on the same page with you guys. So if a faction leader was turned, then why in the world would he fail to send a message?

That is why I posed the question to Barkeep. I want to make sure that I'm understanding the game mechanics (I think I do, I do not KNOW that I do) before making assumptions on this point.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #410
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
dola - how does the voting work today? Do we vote to jail somebody, AND vote on executing bullet, or do we only cast one vote, either jail/execute/no execute?

I believe today we vote on Bullet (execute/free/leave-in-jail), and we vote to jail someone else. If a situation comes up where we have multiple people in jail, we have only one execute/free vote. Feel free to correct me if I've got this wrong.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #411
st.cronin
General Manager

I am going to wait to see who gets replaced before I cast a jail vote. I do think I can do this though:

EXECUTE BULLETSPONGE

More to see who comes to his defense and how than anything else.

knives out
Old 09-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #412
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Blade/NTN - I'm on the same page with you guys. So if a faction leader was turned, then why in the world would he fail to send a message?

That is why I posed the question to Barkeep. I want to make sure that I'm understanding the game mechanics (I think I do, I do not KNOW that I do) before making assumptions on this point.

I figured it had more to do with a faction leader simply not being around to send one or forgetting to do so.

Though, to be fair, only st. cronin claims to have not gotten one so far. And while im not asking his faction to reveal, he was my top suspect coming into today. I dont put as much weight into it as you might, so i might not be the best person to ask.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:13 AM   #413
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Blade, you should have played enough to know that "early" claims like that, especially when not under duress, tend to be truthful.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 09-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #414
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Is it possible that the faction leader believes that all of the necessary info has already been given and he/she didn't have anything interesting to say on this particular day?
Old 09-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #415
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Dola, it's especially dangerous for an assassin to make any claim on messages from their leader, unless they've intercepted a leader's communications...

Old 09-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #416
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Is it possible that the faction leader believes that all of the necessary info has already been given and he/she didn't have anything interesting to say on this particular day?
That's why I suggested waiting until tomorrow to act on it. Personally, given st.cronin's well-avowed concern with the ambiguity of identifying his compatriots, I think it's doubtful, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #417
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
Blade, you should have played enough to know that "early" claims like that, especially when not under duress, tend to be truthful.

Its very possible. I didnt say it wasnt true, i just said i take things said by my top suspect with a little less weight then other players.
Demotivation
Old 09-27-2006, 11:20 AM   #418
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Its very possible. I didnt say it wasnt true, i just said i take things said by my top suspect with a little less weight then other players.

I was your top suspect ...? That's ... strange.

knives out
Old 09-27-2006, 11:22 AM   #419
hoopsguy
General Manager

Hey, I'm just glad to have a game where I'm not Blade's top suspect for about five days running
Old 09-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #420
hoopsguy
General Manager

Upon further review of my notes from yesterday, Bullet is the only person who I had absolutely no theories on their posts to align them with a faction. I'm sure a number of yesterday's theories are incorrect, but I couldn't come up with any way to tie him with anyone.

VOTE EXECUTE BULLETSPONGE
Old 09-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #421
st.cronin
General Manager

I have been trying to think of a way to check if anybody else didn't get a message, and I think I have it: If anybody didn't get a message, take the first letter of each word of the first message, and make a message with it. So, for example, if the first message was "The Wisconsin Badgers will beat the Indiana Hoosiers this week", please type something like

This will be weird because tonight I'm hoping to win some money playing poker.

Obviously without the bolds. Also, only one person do this - if you see that somebody already did this, it won't be neccesary. This is for my information only.

knives out
Old 09-27-2006, 12:12 PM   #422
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Upon further review of my notes from yesterday, Bullet is the only person who I had absolutely no theories on their posts to align them with a faction. I'm sure a number of yesterday's theories are incorrect, but I couldn't come up with any way to tie him with anyone.

VOTE EXECUTE BULLETSPONGE

Out of curiosity, how many people did you tie to factions? I don't need to know who is with who or anything like that, I'm just curious how many individuals you identified.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #423
Lorena
Unregistered

I'm catching up, cya'll in a little bit.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #424
hoopsguy
General Manager

19 players, excluding me 18.
I knew my faction leader, so 17 remain.
2 people didn't post, leaving me 15 people to evaluate.

I have notes, outside of the first post #, for all but Bulletsponge. Doesn't mean that the notes contain good info, but 14 people have notes for me to reference today to try and build upon (or refute) my Day 1 impressions.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #425
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Not all caught up, but Bek has dropped out of the game and been replaced by Sndvls. SnDvls has recieved any appropriate messages.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #426
SnDvls
Pro Starter

give me some time to get caught up reading 9 pages is a lot to digest.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #427
st.cronin
General Manager

Bek was NOT my faction leader.

knives out
Old 09-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #428
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Ok two questions I can answer.

1. Noble Leaders can have another role. However, no noble leader who begins the game as a noble leader is a Fast Talking Noble. Of course as Noble Leaders die, and fast talking nobles become converted, it's possible for a Fast Talker to become Noble Leader. A Noble Leader may other roles that state "may also have an additional role".

2. You need ot make two votes today. And there are two seperate vote counts. So far the vote counts look like:

Execution/No Execution/Free
Execute Bulletsponge 2 -- SnDvls, hoopsguy

Jail
Bek 1 -- RealDeal

Last edited by Barkeep49 : 09-27-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:29 PM   #429
hoopsguy
General Manager

Looking forward to catching up later this afternoon, SnDvls. I think this is going to be a fun game and I'm glad to have you aboard.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:30 PM   #430
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post

Ok two questions I can answer.

1. Noble Leaders can have another role. However, no noble leader who begins the game as a noble leader is a Fast Talking Noble. Of course as Noble Leaders die, and fast talking nobles become converted, it's possible for a Fast Talker to become Noble Leader. A Noble Leader may other roles that state "may also have an additional role".

2. You need ot make two votes today. And there are two seperate vote counts. So far the vote counts look like:

Execution/No Execution/Free
Execute Bulletsponge 2 -- SnDvls, hoopsguy

Jail
Bek 1 -- RealDeal

I think that should be me and hoops, not SnDvls and hoops, voting to execute the bulletsponge.

knives out
Old 09-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #431
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
19 players, excluding me 18.
I knew my faction leader, so 17 remain.
2 people didn't post, leaving me 15 people to evaluate.

I have notes, outside of the first post #, for all but Bulletsponge. Doesn't mean that the notes contain good info, but 14 people have notes for me to reference today to try and build upon (or refute) my Day 1 impressions.

So how many people do you have on a faction (not assassin)? I see you voted for Bullet because you didn't get a good read. Does that mean everyone else has been assigned to a faction? It just seems odd to me that you select someone you didn't get a read on rather than trying to get a better read on him.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #432
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Hmm. So that would tend to indicate an oversight on the part of the leader in question. That changes things considerably, thanks.

st.cronin, I think that's a good concept but I'm not convinced it can be pulled off without being really obvious.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #433
Blade6119
Coordinator

Is king being replaced as well?
Demotivation
Old 09-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #434
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Wow, new digs.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #435
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
Hmm. So that would tend to indicate an oversight on the part of the leader in question. That changes things considerably, thanks.

st.cronin, I think that's a good concept but I'm not convinced it can be pulled off without being really obvious.

We'll see. What I'm trying to figure out is if I was in the only one in my faction who did NOT get a message, which indicates some sort of shenanigans - intercept by assasins, or another faction, or something else. If there is anybody else who did not get a message, then I will just chalk it up to an odd choice from faction leader.

knives out
Old 09-27-2006, 12:42 PM   #436
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Ugh, this is seriously inconvenient. Now it takes way too many clicks to bounce from the general forum to here, and I can't peruse the general forum and see when a new post was made here. Boo to the new home.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #437
hoopsguy
General Manager

OK, so we can dismiss the co-opted Noble Leader at this stage of the game, since Barkeep said no original leaders are Fast Talkers in Post #428.

So that leaves the scenario that a faction leader, for whatever reason, did not send a message. I don't believe it was intercepted because that is not in the rules.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:46 PM   #438
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
OK, so we can dismiss the co-opted Noble Leader at this stage of the game, since Barkeep said no original leaders are Fast Talkers in Post #428.

So that leaves the scenario that a faction leader, for whatever reason, did not send a message. I don't believe it was intercepted because that is not in the rules.

Leaning to buying this theory as well, although really puzzled by it.

knives out
Old 09-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #439
hoopsguy
General Manager

Brian, my thought was that on Day 1 it would be the hardest day for the assassins to get acclimated. But they would learn lessons from it and do a better job on Day 2.

I'm certainly not convinced that all of my notes are accurate, otherwise we would be starting with a single assassin. But linkage is good because I can follow those (perceived?) relationships later in the game. Today I get to validate/refute some of my suspected relationships from yesterday. And, hopefully, with each passing day those associations become stronger until I figure out the factions. From there, it will be a matter of aligning the points to the factions. When that happens, we consistently nail assassins.

I'm sure Barkeep does not want the game to be a math exercise like this, so the rules have been polished to make this more challenging. But until proven otherwise, that is the approach I'm planning to take.

One other tangent that goes back to the original question - if Bullet is aligned with a faction that does not include assassins then they will have an opportunity to speak up today and save him. Assuming, of course, that they were able to identify him yesterday based on his posts.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #440
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
One other tangent that goes back to the original question - if Bullet is aligned with a faction that does not include assassins then they will have an opportunity to speak up today and save him. Assuming, of course, that they were able to identify him yesterday based on his posts.

But then you run into the question of whether it is better for people to out their faction or not.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #441
st.cronin
General Manager

I am going to cast my second vote now:

JAIL BLADE

Nothing solid, but if Bek needed replacing, he probably was NOT an assasin. Assasins wouldn't need to check in every night. I'm going to guess he has a different role.

knives out
Old 09-27-2006, 12:57 PM   #442
st.cronin
General Manager

dola

As for Blade, he didn't really get involved in the game til after hoops fingered him. Somewhat uncharacteristic. And I don't know that hoops initial suspicions were ever cleared up, were they?

knives out
Old 09-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #443
Lorena
Unregistered

Is this maggot yours? No.

I think it was an oversight, we might be reading too much into this. But then again, anything is possible.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #444
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
dola

As for Blade, he didn't really get involved in the game til after hoops fingered him. Somewhat uncharacteristic. And I don't know that hoops initial suspicions were ever cleared up, were they?

Two things, i find this hilarious this comes out after i say your my top suspect. Secondly, hoops stated the reason he was after me was he felt i was trying to crack a code. Later in the day he stated i was apart of what he felt was an emerging group of nobles. Just hilarious

VOTE JAIL ST. CRONIN
Demotivation
Old 09-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #445
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
But then you run into the question of whether it is better for people to out their faction or not.

Brian, my thoughts on this are that it would be better for two people to be linked to a common faction than to see one of their members die because we are about to jail/execute the wrong person. Obviously others may have a different view on this issue and will act accordingly. But if push comes to shove for me, I am quite sure I would speak up on behalf of "Player X" if they were going to be endangered.

Releasing that kind of information is not 100% bad. It puts the assassins in an interesting spot because they don't want any kind of villager linkage to be out there publicly. This leads to "trust lists", which remain the biggest threat to them. Everyone has their own faction trust list, but now many people would have an expanding trust list beyond their own faction. That would absolutely have to factor into night decisions for the assassins.

Anyways, I'm not telling someone to reveal a role/faction here. Just laying out my thoughts on the matter in broad terms. Personally, it would be very convenient for me to have someone align themselves with Bullet to save me the negative points if he is indeed a noble. But everyone is going to make what they feel is the right decision with the information they have. Just like in every other WW game.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:04 PM   #446
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Two things, i find this hilarious this comes out after i say your my top suspect. Secondly, hoops stated the reason he was after me was he felt i was trying to crack a code. Later in the day he stated i was apart of what he felt was an emerging group of nobles. Just hilarious

VOTE JAIL ST. CRONIN

Ok, well explain why I was your top suspect please.

knives out
Old 09-27-2006, 01:05 PM   #447
st.cronin
General Manager

dola

note that hoops said BOTH of us were part of an "emerging group of nobles" whatever that means

knives out
Old 09-27-2006, 01:06 PM   #448
Lorena
Unregistered

OT: I noticed I lost a shitload of posts. Looks like Skydog created a new category just for us! lol
Old 09-27-2006, 01:07 PM   #449
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok, well explain why I was your top suspect please.

You made a few remarks yesterday that caught my eye. One in particular about your trust list. I had been giving you the benefit of the doubt yesterday as hoops voted bullet for voting you, saying "you voted someone i trust." I had assumed this meant you 2 were in the same faction. Today, it has become quite clear that is not the case. I know you are not apart of my faction. Couple those 2 items with the knowledge i feel i gained from one of your posts in particular last night you are my top suspect.

It appears dodgerchick is associating with you now, but you remain my #1. Is that explanation sufficient?
Demotivation
Old 09-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #450
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
You made a few remarks yesterday that caught my eye. One in particular about your trust list. I had been giving you the benefit of the doubt yesterday as hoops voted bullet for voting you, saying "you voted someone i trust." I had assumed this meant you 2 were in the same faction. Today, it has become quite clear that is not the case. I know you are not apart of my faction. Couple those 2 items with the knowledge i feel i gained from one of your posts in particular last night you are my top suspect.

It appears dodgerchick is associating with you now, but you remain my #1. Is that explanation sufficient?

Would you mind sharing those remarks?