Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

WW CXXVI: Wolves in Asgard - Game Over (Result in Post 2538)

There is trouble in Asgard. Its residents gather together, but they look out on a sea of strangers speaking with unfamiliar voices. You realize at once that this is Loki's work. You have the sinking feeling that he and other agents of Evil has infiltrated Asgard. It is up to the residents to determine who are those they can trust and who are those minions of Evil that must be put to death.

The basic structure of this game will be that of a typical werewolf game (vote for people to be lynched, wolves will do a night kill, usual victory conditions) with Norse mythology flavor and a combination of some less typical mechanics and divine abilities, though the roles will not have powers listed. Details are in the next post.

Minor note: Where mythology is more uncertain about an event or the strictest adherence to the truth would make the game less interesting, I may have altered some information slightly to improve game quality. Nothing will be outlandishly wrong (i.e. Thor will not be a painter), but there may be some simplifications made to improve the game play.

Rules that are somewhat different from most games:

Editing of posts: This is pretty unusual, but I will allow editing of posts if you do so within five minutes of your original post time. I don't feel you should be lynched for a silly typo or feel like you can't fix a simple error you made. For simplicity's sake though, after five minutes from the original post time, please don't edit your post, simply make a new one. One exception: please do not edit any posts with a vote in it.

Tiebreaker: If two or more players end up with the same number of votes, the player to be lynched will be randomly selected amongst those receiving the highest amount of votes. There is also a small chance that, in addition to this, another person at random will be lynched.

Nightfall: I will accept Nightfall votes. It needs to be unanimous, the wolves need to agree to it in private, and note that once you vote Nightfall, your vote for that day is locked and cannot be changed, so be completely sure of your vote if you choose to vote nightfall.

Conditional Orders: I will accept conditional orders. The latest submitted orders are the ones I will process for you.

Processing of Orders: In the event that multiple orders somehow conflict, the orders I receive earliest will take precedence (for example, someone who submits their final orders at 1pm vs. 4pm). The lynch is always the first action to be processed, the night kill is always the final action to be processed.

Rules that are mostly the same as other games (i.e. vets can probably just skim this section):

Deadline: 24 hr deadline is 10pm EST / 9pm CST / 7pm PST and whatever European time it is for Narcizo (open to change if people want, that seems to be the standard these days though). Votes and night actions at 10:00pm EST and earlier count, votes and night actions at 10:01pm EST do not count. Conditional night action orders are fine if you can't be there at deadline.

Voting: Use a separate line and bold your vote, unvotes are fine, No Lynch is not an option.

e.g. JAG is clearly off his usual game. I am sure he is a wolf.

Vote JAG

Quoting private messages publicly: Don't do this.

Private messaging: If you have PM abilities, please include me on all messages.

Discussion of game: While the game is in progress, please do not privately discuss the game with anyone else still in the game (other than within the constraints of the rules of course, i.e. wolves are free to PM themselves).

Vanilla villagers: All vanilla villagers will receive the following PM:

Quote:
You are a vanilla Norse Berserker.

Victory Conditions:

Odin and the forces of Good win if they eliminate all evil players.
Loki and the forces of Evil win if they can reach a 1:1 ratio of evil player to good player.

Special game concepts:

Vahalla: All vanilla Norse Berserkers who perish in battle (i.e. die in any way) have a chance to have their spirits go to Valhalla upon death. You do not know how they are chosen (if there is a prerequisite they must fulfill, if it is random, etc...).

Ragnarok: The specter of Ragnarok, the climactic battle between good and evil that will decide the fate of the world, hovers over all that happens this game. There is no guarantee that during the timeline of the game you will have to face it or what form it will take if you do, but you know being lynched or night-killed will lessen your influence on the final battle, should it occur.

Last edited by JAG : 08-17-2011 at 10:08 PM.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Roles:

Role abilities will not be listed below. There will, however, be a description of each possible role and possibly a myth or two linked with the role that may give some hints as to their power or powers:

Gods on the side of good (these three roles are guaranteed to be in the game):

Odin - Lord of Asgard, chief among the Aesir (the primary group of Norse gods), he was mostly associated with wisdom, battle, and war. His desire for knowledge led him to sacrifice an eye to drink from the Well of Wisdom and to hang himself for 9 days on Yggdrasil, the World Tree, in order to learn Rune magic. He rode an 8-legged steed to battle and fought with a spear that never missed its mark. He frequently visited Vahalla to observe the battles between the warrior spirits housed there.

Thor - God of Thunder and Battle, Thor was a warrior without peer. Holding aloft his majestic hammer Mjolnir, no one could withstand his fury. Though mighty, Thor is not invincible, he is fated to slay (and be slain) by The Midgard Serpent during Ragnarok. Thor was the center of numerous mythological stories and his prowess against giants was well-documented.

Balder - Most beautiful and kind of all gods, his dreams of his own death frightened his mother Frigga to demand all objects in the world vow never to hurt him (how she did this I don't know). However she left out one object she deemed so unimportant and non-threatening in mistletoe and when Loki learned this, it became Balder's doom (see Mistletoe under Items).

Gods / Giants / Monsters on the side of evil (not all will be appearing, only Loki is guaranteed to be in the game):

Loki - The trickster and deceiver of the gods, master of illusion and disguise. At his best, he was a disruptive force to the enemies of the gods, he begat Odin's 8-legged steed, and was only a nuisance to the other gods with his tricks and shape-changing. At his worst, he conceiving monstrous children (Fenris Wolf, Midgard Serpent, and Hel by an ogress were three of his offspring) who were fated to slay the most fabled of the gods, and he conspired to have Balder killed.

Fenrir Wolf - The first of Loki's children from the ogress (Angrbodi), this wolf grew to an enormous size and the gods felt compelled to bind it so it could not threaten them. They tried two powerful fetters that the Fenrir Wolf easily broke until they commissioned dwarves to create a fetter that was unbreakable, which the dwarves created by combining 6 impossible ingredients. The Fenrir Wolf only agreed to try and break the final fetter if a god would put their hand in his mouth to show good faith. Tyr agreed and when the gods refused to free Fenrir, he snapped his jaws and Tyr lost his right hand.

Midgard Serpent - Also known as Jormungandr, this monstrous serpent grew so large that it encircled Midgard (Earth) and held its tail in its mouth. During Ragnarok, the Midgard Serpent and Thor died fighting each other. In one famous myth, while fishing with a giant, Thor catches the Midgard Serpent using the head of a giant ox as bait, but while going for his hammer to kill Jormungandr, the giant cut the line and allowed the serpent to escape.

Hel - Queen of the Underworld, Odin sent her to live in Nifflheim to rule over a portion of the dead. A fearsome wolf Garm, who legend says will kill Tyr during Ragnarok, guards the way to Nifflheim. There, a ship is being constructed from the fingernails of the dead to sail the dead to battle the surviving members of Midgard (Earth) and members of Valhalla during Ragnarok.

Utgaard-Loki - A giant who used a series of illusions to trick and humiliate Thor (and Loki for that matter). Thor believed he had struck him with Mjolnir three times when in fact he had caused indentations in the Earth, could not drain a flagon of mead (because it had the other end dipped into an ocean), could not successfully wrestle the giant's grandmother (who was actually Old Age incarnate), and could not lift but a paw of the giant's cat (which was in fact the Midgard Serpent).

Surt - De facto leader of the fire giants of Muspelheim (one of the nine worlds in Norse Mythology), he waits on Muspelheim's frontier for Ragnarok and when the times comes, he will lead his legions to Midgard, burning all that he sees, killing Freyr (that magic sword that fights by itself sure would've been handy here, but at this point he does not have it), and trampling the Bifrost Rainbow Bridge into dust.

Thrym - This giant was infamous for once having stolen Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer) and using it to try and extort the gods into giving him Freyja as his wife. In the end, Thor dressed up as Freyja (at Loki's suggestion, naturally) to fool the giant in order to get his Mjolnir back.

Roles that may be in the game (1 or more are in the game, all roles listed below are on the side of Good, the forces of Evil will know 1-2 of these roles that are not in the game, and there is one role present in the game which is not listed):

Bragi - God of poetry. Considered to have great fluency of speech and skill of words, also the husband of Idunn.

Idunn - Goddess of eternal youth. Keeper of the golden apples, a bite of which keeps the gods and goddesses eternally young. Wife to Bragi.

Freyr - God of farming and fertility, Freyr is most famous for some of his possessions, including a (sailing) ship that always has a breeze and can fold into his pocket when not in use and a magical sword that can fight by itself. The most famous myth regarding Freya is how he fell in love with a giantess and had to give up his magic sword in exchange for marrying her, which will leave him unable to defend himself against Surt the fire giant during Ragnarok. His sister is Freyja.

Freyja - Sister to Freyr, this goddess was associated with love, beauty, and fertility. She possesses, among other treasures, a feathered cloak that allows her to assume falcon form.

Heimdall - The Watchman of the Gods, Heimdall guards the Bifrost Rainbow Bridge from giants trying to enter Asgard. The most observant of the gods, he is the sworn enemy of Loki and the two are fated to kill each other during Ragnarok.

Frigga - Wife of Odin, mother of Balder, she was foremost among the goddesses. Supposedly possessed the power of prophecy, but did not share her prophecies with others.

Tyr - God of justice and truth. He is most famous for assisting in binding the Fenrir wolf. He agreed to put his right hand in the wolf's mouth to ensure the gods would remain true to free him if he was unable to break Gleipnir. When the Fenrir Wolf was unable to break free and the gods refused to free him, he snapped off Tyr's hand.

Magni - One of Thor's sons. One of the few gods that is to survive Ragnarok and aid in rebuilding after the most famous of the gods have been slain. In the post-Ragnarok world, he wields Mjolnir as his birthright after the Midgard Serpent kills Thor.

Modi - Another of Thor's sons. Also one of the few gods that is to survive Ragnarok and aid in rebuilding after the most famous of the gods have been slain.

Items:

Norse mythology describes a wealth of magical items and items of significance throughout many of the legends. Some of these items will be appearing in this game. Here are the rules relating to these items:

1. Items will initially be distributed randomly (but will not start with whom they belong to).

2. If you possess an item that is not linked to you (for example, Odin receiving Thor's Hammer), you cannot make use of it and must PM me with whom you wish to pass it by the day's deadline. If you possess an item that is linked to you (for example, Thor possessing Thor's Hammer), you do not have to pass it and you unlock specials related to the item. You can only pass an item to a person who is alive (not those in Valhalla for example).

3. If you have an item and either you or the target you pass the item to is killed, or you fail to inform me to whom you're passing the item, the item will be distributed randomly.

4. If you would otherwise possess two or more items (two people pass you items), the one you receive is determined randomly (unless it belongs to you, in which case that is the one selected) and the other is distributed randomly.

5. Under most circumstances, you will not be aware of who passed you an item.

6. There is one hidden rule as relates to items.

Items that are definitely in the game:

Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer) - The most famous of all items in Norse mythology. With this weapon in his grasp, no giant could withstand Thor's ferocity in combat. It was said to never miss its mark and to always return to his grasp when thrown.

Mistletoe - When Loki learned this was the only earthly substance that could harm Balder, he crafted some into an arrow (some say a spear) and guided the blind god Hodor to shoot at Balder with the arrow, slaying the beloved god.

Items that may be in the game (Note: the existence of an item in game does not necessarily mean the player for whom the item belongs is in-game...there could be items in game just to throw you off as to what players are in the game. The reverse is also true, just because a role is in the game does not necessarily mean their corresponding item is in-game).

Freyr's Magic Sword - This powerful weapon was able to fight by itself. Had Freyr not given up with weapon for his giantess bride, he may have been able to defeat Surt during Ragnarok.

Gungnir (Odin's Spear) - This weapon of Odin's was said to never miss its mark.

Gjallarhorn (Heimdall's horn) - The legendary horn that Heimdall was to blow mightily at the onset of Ragnarok. It was said that the blowing of this horn would be heard throughout the nine worlds.

Gleipnir (Fenrir Wolf's fetter) - Created from six impossible ingredients, this thin cord was able to do what its two mightier in appearance predecessors failed to do: keep the Fenrir Wolf bound until Ragnarok.

Giant Oxen Head (Midgard Serpent Bait) - See Thor's entry, but this was essentially used as bait to try and capture the Midgard Serpent.

Last edited by JAG : 08-09-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

also reserved
Old 08-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

also also resserved
Old 08-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

A moose once bit my sister

Signups:

1. Narcizo - (night killed Day 6) --- Spirit in Valhalla
2. Danny - Fenrir Wolf (lynched Day 2)
3. Autumn - (lynched Day 5) --- Spirit in Valhalla
4. J23 - Magni (night killed Day 3)
5. Zinto - Loki (killed by Heimdall Day 6)
6. bhlloy - Tyr (killed by the Fenrir Wolf Day 2)
7. Darth Vilus - Utgaard-Loki (lynched Day 3)
8. Chubby - Thor (night killed Day 5)
9. ntndeacon / The Jackal - (lynched Day 6) --- Spirit in Valhalla
10. mckerney - Heimdall (killed by Loki Day 6)
11. Thomkal - (lynched Day 4) --- Spirit in Valhalla
12. Racer
13. mauboy1
14. Barkeep49
15. Lathum
16. dubb93 - Odin (night killed Day 1)
17. EagleFan
18. MrBug708
19. jeheinz72
20. hoopsguy
21. Telle

Last edited by JAG : 08-17-2011 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Here's another edit for you Danny
Old 08-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Woo - Först! Får man skriva på svenska eller norska?

In.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Danny
Head Coach

Funny I just read the rules to Yggdrasil and am hoping to play it for the first time this weekend.

Oh and In
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Autumn
Head Coach

I've only started reading the rules and I'm already psyched!

I'm in like Loki in the form of a horse.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
J23
College Benchwarmer

I'm in.
J23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
Danny
Head Coach

Oh, and I am voting for the first person with an edit under their post
Old 08-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
Zinto
College Starter

I am in.
Zinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I am tempted to play in the game just because of this rule:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Editing of posts: This is pretty unusual, but I will allow editing of posts if you do so within five minutes of your original post time. I don't feel you should be lynched for a silly typo or feel like you can't fix a simple error you made. For simplicity's sake though, after five minutes from the original post time, please don't edit your post, simply make a new one.

If you look back at early games editing of posts were allowed. There were a couple of minor scandals about editing and so the curtain went down. I've long thought a rule along JAG's line is sensible though I'd have limited editing to typo correction or additional thoughts being added (rather than dola'ing) as people editing out stuff is why the rule was implemented in the first place.

Am going to give serious thought about whether I can play in this.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #13
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Also, anyone who can come up with a more impressive name for this than "The Norse Game" gets -1 to their D1 vote if their name choice is selected.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #14
bhlloy
Coordinator

Awesome idea for a game. I'm in...

You know the first person to edit a post is getting lynched regardless of what the rules say
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #15
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Fimbulvetr (Fimbulwinter - the long winter of conflict before Ragnarok)
Old 08-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #16
Darth Vilus
College Benchwarmer

In

Is ther gonna be a captain america game after this? Is WW jumping on the Avenger bandwagon?

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…"
―Darth Plagueis the Wise
Darth Vilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
Autumn
Head Coach

Nordic Thunder!

I Say Thee Nay!

Ragnarok Rumble

Giants, Tricksters and Thor (The Cher Edition)

Rumble in Asgard

Wolves in Asgard
Old 08-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #18
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vilus View Post
Is ther gonna be a captain america game after this? Is WW jumping on the Avenger bandwagon?

This seems very doable, and like a great idea.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #19
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vilus View Post
In

The funny thing is, I came up with idea a while back, then I saw Abe mention something about going to see the movie Thor, which I didn't even know was coming out. The timing of the game worked out rather coincidentally, as I actually got the idea for the theme from Alan's Clash of the Titans game.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #20
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Changed the editing rule to add an exception:

Quote:
One exception: please do not edit any posts with a vote in it.

Last edited by JAG : 08-06-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Because it's good to be the GM
Old 08-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #21
Autumn
Head Coach

I'd suggest making any post containing a vote sacrosanct. That seems too dicey to allow.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #22
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, probably a better idea. I will make it so.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #23
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
This seems very doable, and like a great idea.

did everyone miss that I'm doing a Marvel game soon?

I'm in.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #24
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

mind you moose bites kan be very nasty
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #25
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

in
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #26
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

If the numbers are right, I'd like to have a Monday night start with roles going out, and a Day 1 deadline of Tuesday night (or if the numbers are superb, a day earlier for each).
Old 08-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #27
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
did everyone miss that I'm doing a Marvel game soon?

I'm in.

I had missed that, but would be really excited to see someone else's interpretation on the genre.

This game sounds like it could be a blast. I really wish I had time to be able to play.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #28
mckerney
Coordinator

In.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #29
Thomkal
Head Coach

good theme and an interesting ruleset, guess that means I'm playing.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #30
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

"Does my Asgård look big in these"
Old 08-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #31
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Oh, and I am voting for the first person with an edit under their post

I REALLY want Danny to end up being the first person to edit a post.

Is there a starting date set?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #32
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I REALLY want Danny to end up being the first person to edit a post.

Is there a starting date set?

No hard date, I'm aiming for sending out roles Monday night. I'm hoping for some more folks so I don't have to modify things too much.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #33
Racer
College Benchwarmer

I like playing in one of these about once a year. How long do these last again? Grad school's starting back up for me in two weeks so the game would need to be winding down by then.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #34
Autumn
Head Coach

If you promise to give yourself up if you're a wolf, Racer, we can end early!

Most games last about six days I would say (not counting weekends), so you should be fine. Glad to see you back!
Old 08-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #35
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Okay count me in.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #36
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Awesome, glad you're giving it a go Racer. It'll be over before two weeks barring a really crazy turn of events.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #37
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Also, I'm leaning towards Wolves in Asgard for a name.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #38
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Also, I'm leaning towards Wolves in Asgard for a name.

I approve this message.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #39
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I will play as beyond even the edit rule I like the ruleset.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #40
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm in
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #41
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I'll play.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #42
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I'll give it a shot. Not sure how active I will be for the next week (have a boat load of stuff that I need to finish up this week to avoid what would be a month long trip to India).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #43
Autumn
Head Coach

This is looking more like it. I'm looking forward to starting this one.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 AM   #44
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ok
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:38 AM   #45
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
A moose once bit my sister

Signups:

1. Narcizo
2. Danny
3. Autumn
4. J23
5. Zinto
6. bhlloy
7. Darth Vilus
8. Chubby
9. ntndeacon
10. mckerney
11. Thomkal
12. Racer
13. mauboy1
14. Barkeep49
15. Lathum
16. dubb93
17. EagleFan
18. MrBug708

Look at all those edits

Vote JAG
Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #46
Autumn
Head Coach

18's perfect, let's go!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #47
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Roles are going out tonight for sure, probably not until later (between 9-10 CST) as I have the kids by myself for the evening, so still a little time to join for anyone out there who hasn't yet and wants to.

Last edited by JAG : 08-08-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: To add missing word and to annoy Danny
Old 08-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #48
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Post!

Edited to add this line.

Last edited by mauchow : 08-08-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: practice makes perfect
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #49
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Inn.

jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #50
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm weak and can't resist what looks like a fun game.

In, with expectations of low post counts and miserable villager flailing while trying to catch up in last hour before deadline each day.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote