Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-31-2020, 06:53 PM   #3451
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'll call anyone using violence thugs. Do you disagree?

It's a bit of a problematic word with a problematic history that I'd probably steer clear of, so as to not be mistaken in my meaning.

But, hey, got the rest of the quote here for convenience if you'd like to do something more than parse language:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yeah, I've been too busy to post much today.

But, hey, feel free to air drop in a "thugs" and try to deflect this all on BLM.

It's definitely not a multi-faceted problem with many peaceful protests that are joined by some criminal elements, particularly, at night, ranging from white supremacists to anarchists to people who just want to loot.

On top of that, if only there were a post in this thread documenting literally dozens of times across the country where police escalated otherwise peaceful protests.

SI

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:53 PM   #3452
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I checked and you are right. Won't speak for him but I only think those causing damage are thugs.

I won't speak for you but I agree with this.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:59 PM   #3453
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
What evidence is there that the rioters were BLM?

Every black person has to be BLM. Just like any protester on the left is antifa. Just like decades ago they were all Black Panthers or Nation of Islam.

It's a way to remove agency from people and minimize their cause.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:04 PM   #3454
RainMaker
General Manager

Weird how these people are not labeled thugs.

Last edited by RainMaker : 05-31-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:06 PM   #3455
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Quite small in the grand scheme of things (and lower than the amount of whites killed that way), but still way, way too high. As I've posted, I am concerned about the general issue of police violence. And you're definitely correct that peaceful protests can cause issues as well. But there needs to be some sense of proportion. Are you saying the protests would have happened without Lloyd being killed? If not, then they are primarily about Lloyd's death. That's the proper comparison point. I mean otherwhise, we can add in to the riot damage all other riots in response to all such things going back to Rodney King (or further if you like). Which also were far worse than what they were protesting.

I am however, not completely devoid of brain cells despite what some people may think. I observe the difference in reaction on this board to the shutdown protests and the public health concerns there to the reaction to these protests. All of a sudden very few are concerned about spreading the virus more. Isn't that just convenient.

I want to learn (and already have on at least the training issue). I'm not trying to play gotcha and whataboutism, but I'm not going to turn my brain off and pretend these elephants in the room aren't there. I won't blow these unacceptable killings by police out of proportion just because it's fashionable, but I still want them minimized and I favor all reasonable actions to get there.

I think there are 2 things at play in your post above

(I'm a white guy so someone wanting to explain this point better than I can, please do.) First, George Floyd's death was more a straw that broke the camel's back as opposed to a singular cause. It's more an Archduke Ferdinand moment where the conditions were right for a spark to ignite things. Last week (or two weeks ago - I've lost track) was Ahmad Aubrey. The week before, I'm sure there was another and another and another: Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, etc. We know a lot of the highly publicized names but there are countless others - it's in the data. It's not the first and I'm sure it won't be the last. It didn't help that this one was caught on film and so blatantly obvious.

As for COVID, we talked a little bit about this over in the COVID thread today:

This was my main thought but there are far more:

Quote:
Seems pretty high.

So someone in my family works at a cancer hospital. They have been taking a ton of precautions there but, at the end of the day, you still have to see patients. To the patients, it doesn't matter if they die by COVID or if they die by cancer: death is still death.

I think something similar applies here. If you think you're risking dying just by going out in public, death by COVID vs death by police brutality: death is death.

SI

Yes, I badly worry about super-spreader events coming off of this. And I'm sure we'll hear about it in the coming weeks and months.

But if protesting re-opening businesses was worth it, it's hard to not see how protesting innocent people getting gunned down in cold blood isn't an even greater cause.

SI

Old 05-31-2020, 07:06 PM   #3456
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are you saying the protests would have happened without Lloyd being killed? If not, then they are primarily about Lloyd's death. That's the proper comparison point. I mean otherwhise, we can add in to the riot damage all other riots in response to all such things going back to Rodney King (or further if you like). Which also were far worse than what they were protesting.

Are you saying that the protests would have happened if Lloyd was a once in a blue moon black man killed by police brutality? Because it's not just about George Lloyd. Why else would black people talk about how scared they are because they have a teenage or young adult son. Why are people talking about Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor (I guess they could have a protest like every damn weekend) as well as part of these protests? It's about Lloyd and what Lloyd represents. And it does go all the way back to Rodney King and before. And even if we add the riot damage for King, OJ, etc, it doesn't come close to the brutality visited on black lives who have been treated as second class citizens for generations upon generations (and then chattel before then). Remember N.W.A. wrote "Fuck the Police" before the King riots - due to police brutality in L.A.

Quote:
I observe the difference in reaction on this board to the shutdown protests and the public health concerns there to the reaction to these protests. All of a sudden very few are concerned about spreading the virus more.

Actually I am very concerned about that and there were more than a few posts talking about it and wondering if the reason some of the protestors didn't seem to mind is because they feel they'll get killed by the state or the virus and it doesn't seem to matter one way or the other. At least it seemed the vast majority of people were wearing masks and walking outside.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-31-2020 at 07:08 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:06 PM   #3457
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 05-31-2020, 07:09 PM   #3458
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 05-31-2020, 07:09 PM   #3459
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
What evidence is there that the rioters were BLM? It seems to me that BLM plans the peaceful, walk to the city hall to listen to speakers sort of protest. At worst they shout during political rallies.

It seems.... Suspect to me to link people that seem to be working for non violent protests and calling them the rioters who show up after the BLM program is concluded.

I'll say again that I do believe BLM, fair or not, has a messaging problem. You ask for evidence that the rioters were BLM and unfortunately, many will just assume they are because it happened during/after a BLM event.

My vote is to ask Obama and Michelle to figure this out. They were community organizers/activist in their early days, maybe they can (re)organize BLM into a more potent and widely accepted champion for change.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:10 PM   #3460
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You know if the police start getting called thugs by some of these folk, then maybe I can see it being used in other contexts without getting suspicious.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:13 PM   #3461
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'll call the police involved in a lot of the actions being described thugs if it makes anyone feel better. It's not a word I use in general though.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:16 PM   #3462
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
LOUISVILLE: WAVE reporter & crew shot by police with non-lethal rounds during escalating protest

pic.twitter.com/kZreRW6nZC
— Breaking911 (@Breaking911) May 30, 2020

people were protesting peacefully, the violence started when the police came up with the idea to intervene, shoot people with rubber bullets, use tear gas, pepper spray, run over people, use brutal methods, none of which was necessary #BlackLivesMatter pic.twitter.com/Dn6tJsdgCf
— letícia (@Iwtsaturns) May 31, 2020

Louisville seems to have a number of problems:

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - FBI Opens Investigation into Shooting of Michael Brown

SI

Old 05-31-2020, 07:16 PM   #3463
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'll say again that I do believe BLM, fair or not, has a messaging problem. You ask for evidence that the rioters were BLM and unfortunately, many will just assume they are because it happened during/after a BLM event.

My vote is to ask Obama and Michelle to figure this out. They were community organizers/activist in their early days, maybe they can (re)organize BLM into a more potent and widely accepted champion for change.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:17 PM   #3464
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You have got to be shitting me. The Obamas, who are already hated by the white supremacists who blame BLM for everything (who are still sharing memes that Michelle is really a man and Barack was the worst President in US history), taking over a grass roots organization to.. what, 'make it respectable'?

You realize that the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee were HATED in the 1960s? People blamed those leaders for all sorts of negative violent things by more radical groups, assuming they were working together. In 1996, Martin Luther King, Jr. had a 66% disapproval rate. In 1968, right before he was assassinated, King, Jr. had 75% disapproval Rate.

When stuff like this happens:
Black Protester Confronts White Women Tagging Starbucks with 'BLM'
Quote:
Two white protesters got called out by a black protester for tagging a Starbucks with graffiti repping the Black Lives Matter movement ... and the bizarre encounter was caught on video.

Check it out ... you see two white women decked out in all black and wearing face masks/coverings spraying 'BLM' along the side of a Starbucks in L.A., as well as other messaging. One African-American woman who's also protesting gets in their faces and questions what they're doing ... and why. Watch what happens when she confronts them.

The white gals were NOT down to stick around for answers, as they mumbled incoherent responses and abruptly scrammed as soon as they realized they were getting attention. The black protester tells them to stop, because the public will blame the peaceful protesters -- the ones of color, specifically -- for the defacement and destruction of property.

She tells them that nobody in the actual 'BLM' movement told them to tag the place, and that the message wasn't theirs to spread unlawfully. It's a pretty revealing interaction here.

You think that anti-BLM people are going to give them the benefit the doubt? You must be insane.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-31-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:22 PM   #3465
Thomkal
Head Coach

City of Myrtle Beach under a curfew until 6 am. They had peaceful protests there today, but someone made a credible threat against the police there and so the mayor issued the curfew to keep people off the streets.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:26 PM   #3466
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I guess Reddit is compiling these, too (makes sense):

[Mega Thread] Compilation of police brutality videos from the protests this weekend. : 2020PoliceBrutality

SI

Old 05-31-2020, 07:26 PM   #3467
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
City of Myrtle Beach under a curfew until 6 am. They had peaceful protests there today, but someone made a credible threat against the police there and so the mayor issued the curfew to keep people off the streets.

So what ever happened to the government making me wear a mask is tyranny? Because a curfew seems a bit stronger government reach than asking to wear a mask - esp in response to a mere threat as opposed to property violence.

(note, I am not against a curfew due to rioting when there is adequate notice - Atlanta's yesterday was dumb because it was announced like 15 minutes before it happened)
Old 05-31-2020, 07:28 PM   #3468
Atocep
Coordinator

These are guys we're trusting to go neighborhood to neighborhood.

Officer pepper sprays his shadow
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:38 PM   #3469
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISsidiqui
Actually I am very concerned about that and there were more than a few posts talking about it and wondering if the reason some of the protestors didn't seem to mind is because they feel they'll get killed by the state or the virus and it doesn't seem to matter one way or the other. At least it seemed the vast majority of people were wearing masks and walking outside.

Where? There's a few at most in the coronavirus thread and none anywhere else. Also, none showing the condemnation that was spewed at the previous protests. Again, it's not hard to see the difference. Good on you for being concerned about it but that doesn't change the fact that there's a massive difference in the reaction. I mean, why is it not ok for people to be upset about being cooped up and go party at the Ozarks, or be upset at restrictions and protest at the Michigan State Capitol, but it is ok to be upset at police violence and protest that? Either people have a right to protest in the middle of a pandemic or they don't. And I like engaging in serious intellectual discussions, but let's pick a freaking standard already. Is it only ok to protest things we are against, special pleading FTW all the way? Or is there something more here I'm missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISsiddiqui
Are you saying that the protests would have happened if Lloyd was a once in a blue moon black man killed by police brutality?

No, I think that clearly isn't the case. But in the larger picture, I have to honestly ask what the statute of limitations is on this stuff. You reference going all the way back to slavery. Why stop there? Go back far enough and everyone's ancestors were serfs or worse. At what point do people have a responsibility to adopt the duties of being a citizen in a free society? Maybe that's never, in which case we can all be anarchists and be done with it. If not, where's the line? I'm just trying to figure out what the rules, if any, are here.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:40 PM   #3470
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am however, not completely devoid of brain cells despite what some people may think. I observe the difference in reaction on this board to the shutdown protests and the public health concerns there to the reaction to these protests. All of a sudden very few are concerned about spreading the virus more. Isn't that just convenient.

Hey, that reminds me. Do you think those guys who protested the lockdown in the state house in Michigan a couple of weeks ago are out protesting the curfew in Detroit tonight?

SI

Old 05-31-2020, 07:42 PM   #3471
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

No, I don't think they are. They might be of the opinion that a months-long shuttering of businesses across the state is more severe than a short-lived evening curfew. I'll be here for a while if you have any more straw men you'd like to loft across the plate *smack*

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-31-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:49 PM   #3472
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
You have got to be shitting me. The Obamas, who are already hated by the white supremacists who blame BLM for everything (who are still sharing memes that Michelle is really a man and Barack was the worst President in US history), taking over a grass roots organization to.. what, 'make it respectable'?
:
:
You think that anti-BLM people are going to give them the benefit the doubt? You must be insane.

I don't see it that (excuse the pun) black-and-white. It's not binary as in for-BLM or anti-BLM. You give up on the anti-BLM, you'll never convert them. But you want to win over the 30%.

How Americans view the Black Lives Matter movement | Pew Research Center
Quote:
Roughly four-in-ten Americans support the Black Lives Matter movement. All told, 43% support the movement, including 18% who strongly support it. About one-in-five Americans (22%) oppose the movement, and a sizable share (30%) said they have not heard anything about the Black Lives Matter movement or did not offer an opinion.

The Obama's have the gravitas, credibility, sponsorship/money, political connections, and communication skills (vs Killer Mike wearing his "Kill your Masters" t-shirt) to make this happen better than anyone else I can think of.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:51 PM   #3473
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 05-31-2020, 07:52 PM   #3474
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Tanker Truck Speeds Into Minneapolis George Floyd Protest Marchers On I-35W Bridge; Driver In Custody – WCCO | CBS Minnesota

In Minneapolis, a couple of hours ago, somehow a tanker truck got onto a closed off freeway and tried to plow into thousands of protesters.

SI

Old 05-31-2020, 08:17 PM   #3475
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where? There's a few at most in the coronavirus thread and none anywhere else.

And which thread had the condemnation about the Michigan state house protests? True, some went to the Trump thread because the COVID one has a 'no politics' tag. I see you ignore the mask comment as well - the vast majority of the Floyd protestors wore masks and stayed outside the entire time and there was a ton of hand sanitizer from what I saw. IIRC, at the Michigan statehouse protest they literally had signs saying it was a hoax and most people took no precautions.

If you think this is both-sides bullshit, then I can't help you.

Quote:
No, I think that clearly isn't the case. But in the larger picture, I have to honestly ask what the statute of limitations is on this stuff. You reference going all the way back to slavery. Why stop there?

This shows you simply don't get it. This country has never really atoned for slavery. 10 years after the American Civil War, Reconstruction was ended and rise of Jim Crow started. Jim Crow was defeated in the 1960s and then in a few years mass incarceration began in earnest. And in all that time after slavery, voter suppression has been a tool of the state to disenfranchise black people We reference slavery because our country has simply found different ways to perpetuate the sin of slavery over and over again while keeping just on the line of law, until that gets defeated. And this murders by police are seen as a perpetuation of this second class status. And it'll be seen that way until black folks are actually treated equally.

Quote:
The Obama's have the gravitas, credibility, sponsorship/money, political connections, and communication skills (vs Killer Mike wearing his "Kill your Masters" t-shirt) to make this happen better than anyone else I can think of.

This is so utterly naive, IMO. Not to mention Barack Obama has publically expressed support for Black Lives Matter - it did not go over well for those who were anti-BLM. You also lack understanding of Killer Mike's "Kill your Masters" shirt (it means kill those things that have mental mastery over you), not to mention how amazingly well received his Go Home message was. And if you think, well the Obama's won't be attacked for wearing a message that can be misinterpreted, one of the scandals during the Obama Administration is that he wore a tan suit once.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:18 PM   #3476
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 05-31-2020, 08:43 PM   #3477
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
This is so utterly naive, IMO. Not to mention Barack Obama has publically expressed support for Black Lives Matter - it did not go over well for those who were anti-BLM.

Er, I'm pretty sure I said give up on the anti-BLM and focus on the 30%.

Quote:
You also lack understanding of Killer Mike's "Kill your Masters" shirt (it means kill those things that have mental mastery over you), not to mention how amazingly well received his Go Home message was.

I get it, I watched the link and googled on him. It may resonate well with the Pew 43% that support BLM but my guess not so much the 30%.

Quote:
And if you think, well the Obama's won't be attacked for wearing a message that can be misinterpreted, one of the scandals during the Obama Administration is that he wore a tan suit once.

I absolutely think Obama/Michelle will get attacked. So? Anyone that takes up leadership of BLM or like will be attacked. The question is can Obama/Michelle move the dial significantly in the right direction? They have the credentials, sponsorship, money, political connections, communication skills etc.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:44 PM   #3478
tarcone
Coordinator

Walmarts within a 50 mile radius of St Louis are closed.

A big shopping area about 30 miles from down town St Louis has closed down.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:49 PM   #3479
Jukeman
Mascot

FBI Opens Investigation into Shooting of Michael Brown

More thugs in black

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA3cHiXhkMn/?igshid=1dff1zluhpfeh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jukeman : 05-31-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Jukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:59 PM   #3480
tarcone
Coordinator

This is so frightening. I am shocked how on edge the police are. Im shocked more people havent died. Im shocked these crowds havent turned on the police the way they are treating people.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:19 PM   #3481
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And which thread had the condemnation about the Michigan state house protests? True, some went to the Trump thread because the COVID one has a 'no politics' tag. I see you ignore the mask comment as well - the vast majority of the Floyd protestors wore masks and stayed outside the entire time and there was a ton of hand sanitizer from what I saw. IIRC, at the Michigan statehouse protest they literally had signs saying it was a hoax and most people took no precautions.

I ignored the masks comment because I think it's besides the point, but again I can go back and count the comparative # of posts if you really want this to become that pedantic. Let's forget about every single other city in the entire country and just focus on Grand Rapids, an hour away from Lansing where the the other protests were, for just a brief moment. Most people were wearing masks. They were also violating the orders regarding public gatherings. They were crammed together closely and not observing social distancing, etc.

Now multiply that by all the other places where the same thing was happening. The danger of coronavirus spread, even while wearing masks, is far worse with this many people crammed together in this small a space for this long as compared to the relatively puny amount of people involved in the Michigan Capitol protest. Do you hear governors and mayors out there saying how this is dangerous and will lead to more or extended restrictions like they did before? I don't. The only way I can not see this is as blatant hypocrisy is to turn off my brain.

Quote:
This shows you simply don't get it. This country has never really atoned for slavery. ... And this murders by police are seen as a perpetuation of this second class status. And it'll be seen that way until black folks are actually treated equally.

What are the greater numbers of white people killed by police, and the significant numbers of other races that it happens to? Is that simply just fine because they're the majority and they deserve it, or what? I totally agree with you that we've never really atoned for slavery. To a certain extent that's not possible, but to the degree that it is I want to see it happen.

But the issue here isn't what things are seen as. It's what they actually are. And as I mentioned everybody has horrible tragedy and oppression in their ancestry. That's simply a historical fact. I don't think I'm the one who doesn't get it here. It is totally illogical to live in a country where almost 95% of the killings of black Americans are perpetrated by other black Americans (and most go unsolved), where less than 5% of the shootings by police are the result of a white policeperson shooting an unarmed black suspect, and conclude 'yep, it's those racist cops who are the big problem here'. They ARE a problem, a problem that needs to be addressed and dealt with. But this refusal you are expressing to have any vague semblance of rational, data-based perspective on the situation and the progress that has been made makes any real resolution IMO totally impossible. Why is it even something that needs to be discussed, because it ought to be a self-evidence truism, that the 95% is where we ought to be focusing our attention? How is that not patently obviously the most pro-equality, pro-black, pro-justice, whatever position one could take?

I don't want it to be that way. I want things to be better. But I'm not going to pretend things aren't what they are because people are angry.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-31-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:19 PM   #3482
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
This is so frightening. I am shocked how on edge the police are. Im shocked more people havent died. Im shocked these crowds havent turned on the police the way they are treating people.

I think we're nearing the razor's edge right now. I think the protests will lose momentum if allowed to. But I'm a bit afraid what happens if someone starts shooting with real bullets.

SI

Old 05-31-2020, 09:22 PM   #3483
tarcone
Coordinator

Protesters in Ferguson are throwing fireworks at the police right now.

Police are throwing tear gas back. There is a cirfew and the crowd is starting to disperse.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:31 PM   #3484
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 05-31-2020, 09:47 PM   #3485
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ok, DC -- of all the buildings you're gonna set on fire, it's gonna be the offices of the AFL-CIO??
Old 05-31-2020, 10:05 PM   #3486
RainMaker
General Manager

The first politician with an actual solution.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:27 PM   #3487
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 05-31-2020, 10:32 PM   #3488
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 05-31-2020, 10:33 PM   #3489
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I saw someone else with a bill to greatly limit asset forfeitures which help push police to make arrests and seizures that are then often used for bigger and better weaponry.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:40 PM   #3490
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Well, at least he didn't lose an eye (hit by a canister) like the guy from Ft. Wayne whose pic he retweeted, I guess.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:01 PM   #3491
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What are the greater numbers of white people killed by police, and the significant numbers of other races that it happens to?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...tings-database

Quote:
Although half of the people shot and killed by police are white, black Americans are shot at a disproportionate rate. They account for less than 13 percent of the U.S. population, but are killed by police at more than twice the rate of white Americans. Hispanic Americans are also killed by police at a disproportionate rate.

That's 30 per million for blacks, 22 per million for Hispanics, 12 per million per whites, and 4 per million for "Other"

Want to try again? By ignoring percentages of black folks compared to police shootings you are just carrying water for racism, IMO.

Quote:
It is totally illogical to live in a country where almost 95% of the killings of black Americans are perpetrated by other black Americans (and most go unsolved), where less than 5% of the shootings by police are the result of a white policeperson shooting an unarmed black suspect, and conclude 'yep, it's those racist cops who are the big problem here'.

It is absolutely insane that you think that because there is homicide between private citizens (the percentages, btw, are similar for killings of white Americans as well) that the killing of 30 per million Black Americans by the state isn't a substantial issue that needs to rectification?! And that it doesn't reflect the deep racism that exists within our society, which is deeper than most other people in this country (Native Americans being a major exception) had to go through (for one, black people are still going through oppression in our country).

As for fears of expanding coronavirus, it isn't like it's not being covered nor are Mayors and Governors silent about it (not to mention masks are not beside the point since public health experts indicated that masks and social distancing could mitigate the risk.. masks definitely help, but it seemed social distancing was not followed well):

Protests Over Death of George Floyd Threaten a Jump in Coronavirus Cases - WSJ

Fears grow of US coronavirus surge from George Floyd protests | World news | The Guardian

Officials fear George Floyd protests could fuel new coronavirus outbreaks.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-news-n1220136

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...243136871.html

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-31-2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:05 PM   #3492
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's a great idea. Unfortunately it'll never get through...
Old 05-31-2020, 11:07 PM   #3493
RainMaker
General Manager

The NY Police Sargeants Union just doxxed the Mayor's daughter on Twitter.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:21 PM   #3494
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 05-31-2020, 11:31 PM   #3495
Edward64
Head Coach

We are in a sad state of affairs when we take every twitter testimony as true without first trying to validate.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:41 PM   #3496
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
We are in a sad state of affairs when we take every twitter testimony as true without first trying to validate.

Click his thread where there is video of them doing it.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:55 PM   #3497
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Click his thread where there is video of them doing it.

I saw a video he claimed show this but was no way conclusive as it was poor quality and too far away.

I guess I can see where police would slash tires to maybe control movement or maybe they suspect looters etc.

If they did it, what do you think the motive is? To spite the protesters?
Old 06-01-2020, 12:12 AM   #3498
rjolley
College Starter

This Venn diagram is where I am. Seems like most here are as well.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:16 AM   #3499
RainMaker
General Manager

The lot was used as a staging ground for the police. They are everywhere. Cars were mostly media and medics helping protesters. Probably did it to be dicks. Same reason they stole bottled water and smashed milk in a earlier video posted.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:16 AM   #3500
RainMaker
General Manager

There are like a dozen videos of cops assaulting reporters from the past couple days and it's a big stretch to conclude they would slash their tires in a lot they occupied.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-01-2020 at 12:17 AM.