Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Atocep
Coordinator

Baseball Tonight

What the hell is the deal with ESPN? Since Sportscenter has been going downhill for the past several years Baseball Tonight has one of the few quality programs they have for pro sports. Now they have John Kruk, Steve Philips, and Orestes Destrade ruining the show.

I know some people like Kruk and think he's funny, but the guy picked Randy Johnson to win 30 games in '05, last year he said the Red Sox would win 115-120 games and then picked the Yankees to win the division. For this season he predicts that the Brett Myers incident (the one where he slapped his wife) will give him the maturity needed to become the staff ace.

Orestes Destrade is just painful to watch. He looks nervous every time he's asked to speak. This year he picks Ichiro to hit .400 and called him the best hitter in the past 25-30 years.

Steve Philips predicts that this is the year ARod will "finally become a Yankee". This is the guy thats supposed to bring GM insight to the show.

At least they still have Peter Gammons.

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
Ramzavail
College Starter

well HR couldn't keep his dick in his pants
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

"The Big O" - never has a nickname so thoroughly described an athlete's performance than this one did for Orestes Destrade. I felt bad for him...he was supposed to be the next Cecil Fielder coming out of Japan as a huge HR hitter, playing in front of Latino crowds in Miami, etc. It was the perfect setup, except he just wasn't any good. I witnessed (and almost caught) his final HR as a Marlin. After that game, he was released.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

His career as a presenter eerily mirrors that of his baseball career... brought in mostly to lure in the Latino fans, but fails woefully at actually being successful as a stand-alone performer.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:20 AM   #5
Atocep
Coordinator

This will become my thread to bitch about ESPN's coverage of MLB this season.

Dusty Baker is now an analyst of ESPN's baseball coverage. He was working the Mets/Braves game earlier today and mentioned David Wright being a good potential #2 hitter because he stole 20 bases last year so he won't be clogging the bases up.

Wasn't he considered a great manager not all that long ago?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 AM   #6
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
well HR couldn't keep his dick in his pants

Its wierd - he was by far the best of the lot (Well, Bobby V was better). I don't even watch it any more - which is nuts. What is it about ESPN that wants to drive away the hard-core fans like me in favor of idiots who think Kruk talking about "proven veterans" and "knowing how to win" is the way to go?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
PineTar
High School JV

don't forget clubhouse chemistry
PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:04 AM   #8
Atocep
Coordinator

The best baseball analyst at ESPN right now (assuming they didn't let him go and I missed it) is Orel Hershiser. He stepped in for Joe Morgan to cover a game with John Miller and he was amazing. It was a Nats game and John Miller mentioned Bowden potentially letting Soriano go for nothing and Hershiser stepped in and started talking about compensation picks in the draft. Long uncomfortable silence from Miller because you could tell he had no fucking clue what Hershiser was talking about and he asked Hershiser to explain it again, for the fans of course.

He's also been on Baseball Tonight a few times and he's far and away the most knowledgable baseball guy they have working in the studio. He does his homework on players, stats, and expresses his views clearly. Which seperates him from just about anyone else that works there now. He'll probably be fired soon, if he hasn't been already.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:05 AM   #9
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineTar View Post
don't forget clubhouse chemistry

Steve Philips has an article up on ESPN.com now where he says Chemistry is the 6th tool when evaluating players.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Hershiser was my role model as a kid for a few different reasons, but one of 'em was the fact that he's not your typical jock. He's articulate, intelligent, and in his prime he was damn good at what he did.

He's going to get a managerial shot one of these days, and whichever team takes a flier on him is going to be very happy they did.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:38 AM   #11
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The best baseball analyst at ESPN right now (assuming they didn't let him go and I missed it) is Orel Hershiser. He stepped in for Joe Morgan to cover a game with John Miller and he was amazing. It was a Nats game and John Miller mentioned Bowden potentially letting Soriano go for nothing and Hershiser stepped in and started talking about compensation picks in the draft. Long uncomfortable silence from Miller because you could tell he had no fucking clue what Hershiser was talking about and he asked Hershiser to explain it again, for the fans of course.

He's also been on Baseball Tonight a few times and he's far and away the most knowledgable baseball guy they have working in the studio. He does his homework on players, stats, and expresses his views clearly. Which seperates him from just about anyone else that works there now. He'll probably be fired soon, if he hasn't been already.

I will always feel bad Hershiser never quite had a good enough career to be a HOFer. If he could have stayed healthy in some more seasons, he could have finished with 250 wins, a 3.50 ERA, and 2500-3000 strikeouts. Would have given him a really nice chance to make it.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote