Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Israel-More harm than good?

1. I think the Jews are gods people.
2. obviously the holocaust was horrible
3. Iran is run by a bunch of fuckin pricks

All that being said, I'm pretty over Israel and their incessant saber rattling. This war/attack thing on Iran has potential for some dire consequences to the American economy. Obviously I'm not an economist(yet) but I'd think the outcome could easily be 6-8 dollar/gallon gas. Not to mention us getting drug into another conflict we can't afford.

I watched some of the republican debates and I get the feeling that there is way too much of a wish for synergy of our interests with them. As an ally, they really do not bring enough to the table to justify their overhead.

And it seems that nobody is willing to call them out on their bullshit, if only to not to appear to be anti semitic.

Is this irrational love fest between out nations due to some "end times" type belief or something? I really just don't get it.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
Warhammer
Pro Starter

They were the only Western-style democracy in that area of the world. That's the primary reason we supported them.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
They were the only Western-style democracy in that area of the world. That's the primary reason we supported them.
+1

to paraphrase eisenhower, 'the middle east will become an area of supreme strategic importance over the next century.'
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Agreed, although I don't think the fact that there are plenty of wealthy and influential Jewish-Americans should be discounted either. Nor that Israel is the site of the greatest historical events of Christianity, in its various forms by far the primary type of faith found in the US.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think "More harm than good" has been more than established. Especially when Isreal basically treats the US like dirt because they feel we'll never leave them - they take us for granted in the worst way possible.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quite possibly the most realistic nation left on the planet.

That seems to resonate with a fair number of Americans, as does their seeming ability to accomplish necessary tasks without the degree of politically correct restraint popular elsewhere (see: Iranian scientist, exploding)

In spite of religious or even political differences, I believe there's considerable respect/admiration for Israel as a nation because of how they conduct some of their business (even though I think the successes are overplayed without due consideration of some of their failures)
Old 02-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Rizon
Pro Starter

Israel is the #1 benefactor of military aid by the US, so we are kind of like butt-buddies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Israel is the #1 benefactor of military aid by the US, so we are kind of like butt-buddies.

Sure, they buy a lot of stuff from us, but don't we give them the money to buy it with?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i've always considered them a quasi-colonial nato state.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Sure, they buy a lot of stuff from us, but don't we give them the money to buy it with?

Yeah, we throw them a couple bucks every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
miked
College Starter

I would also add that there's a tremendous amount of research that comes out of Israel, both for our weapons technologies and medicine. It does get rather tiresome, the constant threat of battles from Israel, but I also think some of our "might" is derived from our ability to protect democratic interests, especially in regions such as that.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Autumn
Head Coach

Don't doubt that much of what Israel says and does in regards to Iran is approved of by American diplomats. Israel plays the bad cop to our good cop, it's all part of the diplomatic game and doesn't really change anything. The ones making the decisions in Israel, the US and Iran all know the real situation.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I've been saying this for years though. The "special place" that Israel holds in US foreign policy is quite possibly (unless I'm forgetting something) the single worst foreign policy decision this country has made since the end of WWII.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I've been saying this for years though. The "special place" that Israel holds in US foreign policy is quite possibly (unless I'm forgetting something) the single worst foreign policy decision this country has made since the end of WWII.

Israel wasn't our special friend until the 60s. We considered it France and Britain's problem, not ours. We were friends with a lot of the Middle East instead

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
molson
General Manager

Isn't part of the reason for the relationship/influence to keep Israel from attacking everyone? As in ya, more harm than good, obviously, but the alternative is possibly nuclear war in the middle east. I'm not an expert on this region of the country or anything, but if we stopped supporting Israel and cut off that relationship, they'd be about 1,000% more aggressive, right?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Isn't part of the reason for the relationship/influence to keep Israel from attacking everyone? As in ya, more harm than good, obviously, but the alternative is possibly nuclear war in the middle east. I'm not an expert on this region of the country or anything, but if we stopped supporting Israel and cut off that relationship, they'd be about 1,000% more aggressive, right?

That's kind of what I always thought. America was basically Ritalin for Israel.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
Autumn
Head Coach

Now I'm imagining Obama on the phone every night, having to talk the Israeli Prime Minister down. "That sounds awful. I can't believe they did that. Uh-huh, uh-huh. No, I don't think you should do that. Let's sleep on it first."
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #18
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Now I'm imagining Obama on the phone every night, having to talk the Israeli Prime Minister down. "That sounds awful. I can't believe they did that. Uh-huh, uh-huh. No, I don't think you should do that. Let's sleep on it first."
You gotta throw "I told you that bitch crazy" in there somewhere, too...

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-13-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #19
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post

That's pretty much how imagine it going down with Obama, Bush, Clinton and further back. "I hear ya man, but listen, we have talks coming up. Big talks. Let's see what happens there and then we'll re-evaluate things." (with Bush and Clinton also throwing in the occasional - "oh ya, we'll blow up some Arabs, sure, sure, then we can look if that helps everything and re-evaluate in 2 years."

Last edited by molson : 02-13-2012 at 01:48 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Israel wasn't our special friend until the 60s. We considered it France and Britain's problem, not ours. We were friends with a lot of the Middle East instead

Yes - but I was just picking that as the starting point of the "modern" US period.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #21
DanGarion
Coordinator

It seems to me that most of the reason why a lot of Middle East countries hate us is because of our relationship with Israel.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #22
Grover
Pro Starter

I think they are more harmful than they are good for the region, but I've long been a proponent of the two state solution with the Palestinians. They're acerbic to the rest of the Middle East because they know their big brother / protector the United States has their back. Not to mention that the United States is so blindly loyal to Israel that Israel can essentially ignore what the States says to them. I'm also pretty sure that Israeli foreign policy is much more popular in the United States than it is in Israel.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Last edited by Grover : 02-13-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #23
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
It seems to me that most of the reason why a lot of Middle East countries hate us is because of our relationship with Israel.

Don't let the media allow you to buy into this. That is just a convenient excuse. The Arabs are a lot like a bunch of siblings. They beat the hell out of each other, but the minute one of them feels wronged, they band together and start going after the one they feel wronged them.

Do some digging on the history of the area, the only nation to instill SOME degree of stability was the Ottoman Empire.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Do some digging on the history of the area, the only nation to instill SOME degree of stability was the Ottoman Empire.

Plus, what they did for living room furniture can never be underestimated.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #25
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Don't let the media allow you to buy into this. That is just a convenient excuse. The Arabs are a lot like a bunch of siblings. They beat the hell out of each other, but the minute one of them feels wronged, they band together and start going after the one they feel wronged them.

There's a lot of truth to this. Arab nations claim to be indignant about the treatment of the Palestinians, but Arabs have been far crueler to them than the Israelis have.

That being said, being involved in these endless conflicts is a no-win situation for the US.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #26
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

But the Middle East countries seem to want us to care of their "allies" that are causing tensions with Israels behind closed doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I think they are more harmful than they are good for the region, but I've long been a proponent of the two state solution with the Palestinians. They're acerbic to the rest of the Middle East because they know their big brother / protector the United States has their back. Not to mention that the United States is so blindly loyal to Israel that Israel can essentially ignore what the States says to them. I'm also pretty sure that Israeli foreign policy is much more popular in the United States than it is in Israel.

Palestinians seem to want it all-or-nothing, when it comes to Israel.

I disagree on the notion of Israeli foreign policy being more popular here than in Israel.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-13-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #27
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The problem with our support of Israel is that we take it to inconsistent levels. For example, we get upset at others failing to follow UN decisions, but we've never forced Israel out of the Sheba Farms. You are allowed to be inconsistent from a realpolitick point of view, but it can hurt you with others who don;t adhere to that view of diplomacy and relations.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #28
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
They're acerbic to the rest of the Middle East because they know their big brother / protector the United States has their back.

Actually, Israel has done a very good job of taking care of business in the Middle East without our direct support. Read a book about the 1967 Six-Day war where they basically annihilated a combined Arab force in less than a week.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #29
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Israelis: Iran Behind Bangkok Bombings, 'Coordinated Attacks' Around the World - Yahoo! News

Been seeing a lot of this type of stuff in the news lately. Reminds me of the "weapons as mass destruction" lead up to the Iraq war.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's nice to have a puppet in the region for the more hawkish interests at home. That way when they do something crazy, you can throw your hands up and say "See- it's not us. It's just our crazy friend. We can't control him". Need an Iranian nuclear plant taken offline with none of your fingerprints on the job? They're your guy. Need some weapons and methods developed that should proabably should be war crimes? Go to your sympathetic yet crazy neighbor who is ruthlessly efficient at what he does. Need a 5 day war fought in a region to suppress groups you don't like? You know who to turn to.

Unfortunately, your "crazy friend" is actually a bit crazy so you can't always control him and there will be collateral. But don't think there aren't a lot of moments where we use them as much as they use us.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #31
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It's nice to have a puppet in the region for the more hawkish interests at home. That way when they do something crazy, you can throw your hands up and say "See- it's not us. It's just our crazy friend. We can't control him". Need an Iranian nuclear plant taken offline with none of your fingerprints on the job? They're your guy. Need some weapons and methods developed that should proabably should be war crimes? Go to your sympathetic yet crazy neighbor who is ruthlessly efficient at what he does. Need a 5 day war fought in a region to suppress groups you don't like? You know who to turn to.

Unfortunately, your "crazy friend" is actually a bit crazy so you can't always control him and there will be collateral. But don't think there aren't a lot of moments where we use them as much as they use us.

SI

I follow what you're saying but are you sure the United States and Israel aren't the exact opposite sides of the relationship from where you see them?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote