Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Pharmacist question, again

I know I started a thread asking about pharmacist info before but Tapatalk is getting errors on search so I'll start a new one.

Is it considered "ok" to call the pharmacy after starting a new med with questions? Or should I defer to my doc (who may not know)? I've been on a new pain med for the last few days and I was told it has a lot of interactions. I looked through the package insert and there were generic comments but nothing specific I could see about this type of drug...

Or should I have asked this originally and now should I go back to the drug store?

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Radii
Head Coach

Nothing wrong with calling the pharmacy, if they're busy you may have to wait on hold for awhile since you would specifically need to talk to the pharmacist, but I'd assume that wait time would be much less than the call-back time from the doctor's office in most cases. Worst case the pharmacist tells you to call your doctor.

Also, it sounds like your question is about drug interactions... I'm curious why you feel like the doctor who prescribed you a medication might not know if it is safe to take with something else you take? I feel like I'd be looking for a new doctor if that were ever the case with me!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well the doc said it interacted with a lot of stuff. He'd probably refer me to a pharmacist anyway. The insert in the package has vague comments about taking other drugs that can make you tired (Nucynta is the new drug and metaxalone is the one I am wondering about... I took it with my old drugs).

Will call...

/tk
Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, finally! tk started a thread where we can draw on her vast expertise to help get drugs prescribed and questions answered. Wait- that's not what this is?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My Dad was a pharmacist and owned his own pharmacy for 45 years. I would say call your pharmacist for sure. They are far better trained on how different drugs interact.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

What Lathum said. I work with a lot of pharmacists and doctors. In my experience the pharmacists know a lot more details about the medicines than the docs. I often wonder if docs get their education about drugs mostly by the pharmaceutical reps that visit them in their offices.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I called, thanks for the advice. I felt weird calling...but they said that if there was. BIG issue that their computer would have flagged it (like happens when you get antibiotics while on birth control...which I suppose most of the population here doesn't do often),