Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #401
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Been screwing around with Hacker Evolution, was on sale a couple days ago on Steam. Pretty cool game, though I'm guessing it won't appeal to some.

Game is based on a command line interface that' supposed to mimic the feel of command shells in the real world, though it's very much simplified. You are given goals to complete that require hacking servers and what not while avoiding getting traced.

It's pretty cool, unique and has a good feel to it. Though if you can't get into a command line driven game you probably shouldn't bother. But I think it's going to be a great game to have on my laptop when I'm traveling for work.

Actually just did a quick search, looks like it was mentioned a few times here at FOFC. In anycase, there's a demo on Steam.

Last edited by jeff061 : 06-11-2011 at 11:19 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #402
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Game is based on a command line interface that' supposed to mimic the feel of command shells in the real world, though it's very much simplified. You are given goals to complete that require hacking servers and what not while avoiding getting traced.

That description reminds me of (a probably much more complicated version) the "hacking" segments in the old Shadowrun game on Genesis.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #403
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Very cool msg I just got on FB ... from Bethesda, notifying me that I was one of the random winners in their E3 t-shirt drawing, just needed a size preference & a shipping address. I don't remember the last time I won anything, this is pretty f'n cool IMO.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #404
MJ4H
Coordinator

Ocarina of Time 3D comes out Sunday. I'll be picking it up on day one. Pretty excited because I never played all the way through the original. Just never had an N64 long enough to finish the game.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #405
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Ocarina of Time 3D comes out Sunday. I'll be picking it up on day one. Pretty excited because I never played all the way through the original. Just never had an N64 long enough to finish the game.

Will be interested in if you HAVE to use the touchscreen, gyroscope, and 3D to play this game.

Never had an N64 so never got to Ocarina of Time but 3D and me don't get along and I've hated every other Zelda that's forced touchscreen controls. A shame, really, that used to be my 2nd favorite franchise and I've gone to loathing it in its Wii and DS iterations because of the forced gimicky controls that I have no interest in.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #406
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I think you just use buttons and the slide pad like in the original game. There is an options to switch items using the touch screen so you don't have to go into a menu though.

I never had an N64 either, I might get the game this weekend.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:53 AM   #407
MJ4H
Coordinator

No, you aren't forced to use any gimmicky stuff. The stuff that is there is very well done. You can go into first person view by tapping a button in the corner of the touchscreen, and from there, you can move the 3DS around and the view moves with it. It's very cool.

This game is very well done. I played far enough to grab the sword and shield and now I'm letting my wife play it. We both love it so far.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #408
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

A search si turning up nil, anyone played Nascar The Game 2011?
My sons is wantin this, and the reviews are mixed to ay the last with reports of full field pile ups at the green flag.
Is the game playable?
He has saved up lawn mowing money, and I want to protect him from dropping $60 on a turd...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #409
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
My sons is wantin this, and the reviews are mixed to ay the last with reports of full field pile ups at the green flag.
Is the game playable?
He has saved up lawn mowing money, and I want to protect him from dropping $60 on a turd...

Haven't played it but remember being excited about it when it released and quickly finding out it seemed like the worst bugged release ever. I kept up with it for a month or so and seemed like most of the major issues were still problematic. I would check out the information on OS Boards and see if that is different.

If it is just a racing game he is interested in and the NASCAR part is secondary Dirt3 sounds really good.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #410
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Haven't played it but remember being excited about it when it released and quickly finding out it seemed like the worst bugged release ever. I kept up with it for a month or so and seemed like most of the major issues were still problematic. I would check out the information on OS Boards and see if that is different.

If it is just a racing game he is interested in and the NASCAR part is secondary Dirt3 sounds really good.

Not sure what was up with my typing on that last post....wow that was uhhhh..yeah.

Anyway he has Dirt 2, looking at Dirt 3 but really wants a NASCAR game actually just to circle track race. Seems to be lots of promise of a mega patch but nothing as yet.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #411
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like Amazon is running a promotion. Buy a 3DS, get a $25 amazon credit. Amazon.com: Nintendo 3DS - Cosmo Black: Video Games

Not sure how long it will last.

I'm probably going to wait on the 3DS until the next iteration comes out (better battery life?), but based on the feedback here (that I'm not forced to use the touchpad and gyroscope controls for it), I'll probably pick up Ocarina of Time 3DS "soon" so that when I have the console, I have no risk of missing it.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #412
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Playstation Move bundle only $50 if anyone's looking for one.

PlayStation Move Starter Bundle $50 + Free shipping - Newegg Deals, Coupons and Promos
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #413
MJ4H
Coordinator

Those that were wondering how the 3DS graphics compared to the N64 graphics for the OoT remake (aside from the obvious 3D):

http://www.wiinintendo.net/wp-conten...comparison.jpg
Old 06-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #414
mckerney
Coordinator

LA Noire will be coming to PC this fall.

L.A. Noire Announced For PC | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #415
SackAttack
Head Coach

Sonic Generations demo out today with the re-imagined Green Hill Zone for 'old' Sonic. Not sure how I feel about it; the level design is cool, but makes Sonic look tiny by comparison (especially compared with the old game), and that size discrepancy makes it hard to really immerse in it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #416
mckerney
Coordinator

Team Fortress 2 Free To Play, it has begun.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #417
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Team Fortress 2 Free To Play, it has begun.

Huehuehuehuehuehue

At least server admins can ban them.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #418
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Huehuehuehuehuehue

At least server admins can ban them.

There are already some servers that auto kick free players, I'm sure there will be some blocking Brazilian IPs too.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #419
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I started attempt number far too many at playing through KotOR. I own two copies of the game and somehow never got even off the first planet. Someone gave me the PC version. Bioware's forums for the game got completely redone so the guide I was going to abuse for it is no longer. After looking around I think I have my Scout/Consular build down and I created my guy.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #420
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend watching the "video preview" for Bejeweled Blitz in the XBL360 Arcade.

It's a funny minute or so (quite possibly better than the game would turn out to be on a console).
Old 06-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #421
sabotai
General Manager

Decided to buy Homefront off of Steam during one of their sales ($25). Decent FPS. Seemed to have a few collision detection problems (seemed like my elbow would get caught on something). A few quirks with the audio. Felt very "minor league" compared to Call of Duty but decent fun. And then it ended, in just under 3 hours. I know having a short single player mode is the norm these days, but less than 3 hours!? Well, my yearly lesson on making sure to read the reviews...

Last edited by sabotai : 06-27-2011 at 01:29 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #422
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Multiplayer on Dungeon Siege III is complete and utter shite...that is all.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #423
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I remember co-op on Icewind Dale way back in the day - maybe time to try those again from GoG and see if they still run.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #424
Hoya1
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Is the game playable?

worst game ever? perhaps.......
save your son's money. I find it unplayable.

I would recommend either waiting for the patch to come out and pick the game up used somewhere(I imagine there's lots available), or just wait til next year.

Maybe try gran turismo 5 if you have a PS3. It has 2 nascar tracks and a few of the cars/drivers, it's millions of miles ahead of the nascar game.

just my opinion
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #425
mckerney
Coordinator

Looks like TF2 going free to play was well timed by Valve, there are now around 100k people playing it at a time throughout the day up from around 10-15k with the Steam summer sale coming up soon.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #426
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Looks like TF2 going free to play was well timed by Valve, there are now around 100k people playing it at a time throughout the day up from around 10-15k with the Steam summer sale coming up soon.

That would probably explain why myTF2 noob son was just telling me about the lag problems & eventual CTD he got this afternoon.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-27-2011 at 04:03 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #427
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That would probably explain why myTF2 noob son was just telling me about the lag problems & eventual CTD he got this afternoon.

Maybe. I haven't noticed any lag since it went F2P, though I haven't been playing on the Valve servers, can't say I know if they're having any trouble handling the additional player load. He may be better off using the server browser rather than the Start Playing button. From there he can limit the search to US East servers and sort by ping, should be able to find something he can get a good connection to.

As for crashes, TF2 is usually very stable for me. It's usually updated at least once a week so for any crashes hopefully he won't run into it again or it's a problem that will be fixed soon.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #428
MJ4H
Coordinator

Can anyone explain this free to play thing? Does that mean that after you buy the game, you can playing online free? Or does it mean the game itself is free? What exactly are we talking about?
Old 06-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #429
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can anyone explain this free to play thing? Does that mean that after you buy the game, you can playing online free? Or does it mean the game itself is free? What exactly are we talking about?

I can answer that one: it was free. Just d'load the game (as a free d'load from Steam) & play basically.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-27-2011 at 05:15 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #430
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:
I can answer that one: it was free. Just d'load the game (as a free d'load from Steam) & play basically.

To elaborate on Jon's comment, the core game is free, but all sorts of other elements will have been monetized. How that happens depends on the sort of game. Dungeons & Dragons online, for example, you might purchase additional quest packs, or character slots, or the ability to level up past 4 or 8 etc.

The breadth is free, the depth costs money, if that makes sense.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #431
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Are you asking in general or in the context of tf2? I dunno crap about tf2. But a lot of MMOs(LOTRO, Champions Online, Runes of Magic being the 3 I have played) "f2p". They all have models designed to make them money. From a player perspective it comes down to "can you spend extra money if you want for fun/small benefits or do you HAVE to spend money to make your character effective at all". I enjoyed Runes of Magic for a long time but at a certain point I had to spend significantly more than $15/mo to keep improving my character. Their model for this was really terrible imo. The current game I play, League of Legends, you can do everything for free, never have to spend a dime, but you can have access to more characters much faster if you spend some money.

All of these games are free to download and free to play, but some gimp you way more than others if you aren't willing to spend money.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #432
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
To elaborate on Jon's comment, the core game is free, but all sorts of other elements will have been monetized. How that happens depends on the sort of game.

Well damn, I interpreted this as a TF2-specific question, in hindsight I guess it could have been either narrow or broad.

The key point for TF2 is that, according to the devs at least, the microtransaction items don't affect core game play. I think the difference is largely in available "hats" (which my limited knowledge tells me are basically skill boost items) but that "All game modes, classes, and maps are available. Nearly every weapon is available through achievements, drops, or crafting. "
Old 06-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #433
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
To elaborate on Jon's comment, the core game is free, but all sorts of other elements will have been monetized. How that happens depends on the sort of game. Dungeons & Dragons online, for example, you might purchase additional quest packs, or character slots, or the ability to level up past 4 or 8 etc.

The breadth is free, the depth costs money, if that makes sense.

TF2 is a bit different, you still get the depth. For the most part you get the same game for free that people who had paid for the game before it went free, the only restrictions are that you are limited in trading and backpack slots. To get the premium game you need to buy one item, the cheapest item being 49 cents, and you'll get the same things people who had the game before have. There is an item store (and there was before it went free) but you can get any weapon in the game through drops, trades and achievements.

It's a bit different from other free to play games because Valve benefits just as much from people using Steam as they do selling hats in the item store.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #434
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
To get the premium game you need to buy one item, the cheapest item being 49 cents, and you'll get the same things people who had the game before have.

Ooh, didn't realize that bit (hadn't really looked into it all that much beyond verifying it was legit & telling my kid it was okay to d'load/install it).
Old 06-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #435
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Ooh, didn't realize that bit (hadn't really looked into it all that much beyond verifying it was legit & telling my kid it was okay to d'load/install it).

I should clarify, buying one 49 cent item will get you a premium account, though to buy an item in game you need to put at least $5 in your steam wallet. You can use left over money in your steam wallet towards any purchase from steam though.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #436
mckerney
Coordinator

Team Fortress 2: Free-to-Play FAQ

FAQ with differences between free and premium accounts.

You really don't need to buy any weapons to be good, in most cases I think the standard and achievement items are the best, and you'll get plenty of other items just by playing.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #437
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I should clarify, buying one 49 cent item will get you a premium account, though to buy an item in game you need to put at least $5 in your steam wallet. You can use left over money in your steam wallet towards any purchase from steam though.

Okay, so if my-has-used-Steam-like-three-times-ever noobie ass understands this right ... the best time to do the <$1 item for TF2 would be when I was buying something else cheap from Steam, so that I tied up as little unused "wallet" with them as possible. Is that basically right?

Hell, I don't think I even realized that Steam had anything like a wallet, off the top of my head I was thinking everything was billed straight to my c.c. on file.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #438
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Okay, so if my-has-used-Steam-like-three-times-ever noobie ass understands this right ... the best time to do the <$1 item for TF2 would be when I was buying something else cheap from Steam, so that I tied up as little unused "wallet" with them as possible. Is that basically right?

Hell, I don't think I even realized that Steam had anything like a wallet, off the top of my head I was thinking everything was billed straight to my c.c. on file.

They added the Steam Wallet last September before they opened the Mann Co. item store in TF2. And yes, it is pretty easy to do when you would be buying something from Steam. Just add $5 to your wallet and buy a 49¢ item. Then when you go to buy a game it will automatically ask you if you want to use your Steam Wallet balance first. It doesn't have to be something cheap necessarily, you could use the $4.51 left in your wallet and pay any amount over that on a credit card.

I will say again that TF2 isn't the typical pay to win style free to play game. It's more akin to a CoD game weapon wise where you can get items through random drops and achievements or pay to buy them. The more expensive and rarer items may fit certain play styles better, but they're not really better than the standard and more common items. The best non starting weapons and items like Heavy's Natasha and Sandvich or the Sniper's Jarate are all achievement items or fairly common drops. Most of the expensive items are hats that are only cosmetic anyway. And what weapons you have are far less important than how well you can work as a team towards the objectives.

Last edited by mckerney : 06-27-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #439
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Shutting Down This YearSWG Star Wars Galaxies News - MMORPG.com

I still refuse to forgive SOE for ruining what was one of the best MMOs ever.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 06-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #440
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Shutting Down This YearSWG Star Wars Galaxies News - MMORPG.com

I still refuse to forgive SOE for ruining what was one of the best MMOs ever.
Totally agree...pre-cu was so much fun!
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #441
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan View Post
Totally agree...pre-cu was so much fun!

Best crafting system ever, bar none.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 06-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #442
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Absolutely, the crafting and player shops made that game awesome. I actually had 2 accounts so I could have a crafter-only character and many times I was messing around making weapons (farmed/bought a 15 point suit) for friends. The experimenting, rare blueprints, rare components made the economy and the social aspect of the game amazing. I wish another game could come along and re-capture that lightning.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #443
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

New COD:Black Ops map pack today. Haven't played it myself yet but from watching my son play a bit this looks like one of the better map DLC's for the franchise in a while.

I'm not sold on the drive-in being "another Nuketown" as the devs claimed to intend but these definitely look better than the last batch (Convoy, Hotel, etc) which was a steaming pile afaic.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #444
JediKooter
Coordinator

Totally agree with everyone about SWG. I was there from launch day (which wasn't much of a launch when all the servers went down) and gave it up shortly after the change and letting anyone be a jedi.

Keeping my fingers crossed that The Old Republic will be awesome.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #445
RainMaker
General Manager

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armagedeon came out today. Lot of fun if you've played the first one. Online co-op and one of the best casual games out there.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #446
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Just last night I was futzing around with a PS2 emulator in order to try and play 2008 MLB Power Pros, and I was failing in a most frustrating and unrewarding fashion. Today when I log on to check the XBLA marketplace there's something new from Konami called "MLB Bobblehead Pros". You shall have my $10 sight unseen, mind-reading video game machine!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #447
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Just last night I was futzing around with a PS2 emulator in order to try and play 2008 MLB Power Pros, and I was failing in a most frustrating and unrewarding fashion. Today when I log on to check the XBLA marketplace there's something new from Konami called "MLB Bobblehead Pros". You shall have my $10 sight unseen, mind-reading video game machine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSZmL...layer_embedded
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #448
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm disappointed there's no "life mode" yet. They've got something similar slated for DLC called 'My Bobble', but it's not available yet. Still fun though, and a good deal for $10.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #449
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I'm disappointed there's no "life mode" yet. They've got something similar slated for DLC called 'My Bobble', but it's not available yet. Still fun though, and a good deal for $10.

I picked it up. Plays exactly like Power Pros. Definitely worth $10.

The only issue I've seen is the semi-auto fielding appears to be broken. Which is a problem for my son since it's the way he prefers to play.

Hopefully they get the DLC released rather quickly.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #450
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The only issue I've seen is the semi-auto fielding appears to be broken. Which is a problem for my son since it's the way he prefers to play.

Well, your son can take solace in the fact that he's a bigger man than me. I switched to full-auto fielding almost immediately.