Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Logan
Head Coach

2011 NFL Training Camp/Preseason Thread

Figured we could use a new thread to look ahead and put the lockout fully behind us.

Lions rookie RB Mikel Leshoure tore his achilles today and is out for the season.

Fellow rookie 1st rounder Prince Amukamara broke his foot over the weekend and is out for 8-10 weeks.

Last edited by Logan : 08-08-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Miami completely pissed away their off-season for a ticket in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Did something change with Prince, I saw he would miss 2 months.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

If anybody's hanging out at home this afternoon, the entire Hard Knocks: Kansas City Chiefs series is being shown on NFL network starting at 2:00 PM EDT.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Lions rookie RB Mikel Leshoure tore his achilles today and is out for the season.

This hurts...

Maybe Doak Walker's pal Ricky Williams could be a replacement?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
This hurts...

Maybe Doak Walker's pal Ricky Williams could be a replacement?

Ricky already signed with the Ravens.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Ricky already signed with the Ravens.

Dammit.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Watching the Hard Knocks marathon has reminded me how far the Chiefs and their talent level has come since Pioli took over as GM. Holy moly.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-08-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Did something change with Prince, I saw he would miss 2 months.

No, he's still listed as 8-10 weeks.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

Sorry about that, edited the post.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Sorry about that, edited the post.

Technically, Leshoure was picked in the 2nd, so that would also negate your referring to Amukamara as a "fellow 1st rounder." Edit #2?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Technically, Leshoure was picked in the 2nd, so that would also negate your referring to Amukamara as a "fellow 1st rounder." Edit #2?

Insert the comma between "rookie" and "1st" if it helps you.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #13
TLK
Pro Starter

Good stuff about Randy Moss:

Quote:
Off the field: Still a tough time for owner Robert Kraft, mourning the death of his wife, Myra. But he got a boost when, sitting shiva several days after her death (shiva is the Jewish mourning period when friends and family come to the home of the survivors and share fellowship), he looked up and who walks through the door? Randy Moss. He flew up from Florida for one reason: to tell the Patriots owner how highly he regarded Myra Kraft.

"Randy is a good friend of mine,'' said Wilfork. "He called me and said, 'Vince, I'm nervous about coming up. But I want to come. I shared a bond with her. I really want to be there.' Guys who don't know Randy, they'll say he's arrogant. But if he could have retired here, he would have. He came here for one reason and one reason only: He wanted to support the Kraft family.''

When Moss signed with the Patriots, Kraft brought him into his office and told him if he played for the Patriots, he'd always be in the Patriot family. So when he opened Moss' sympathy card, he knew Moss remembered the family speech. Moss signed his sympathy card: "Randy Moss Kraft.''

One other note: Kraft does not wear rings or most other jewelry -- except for one thing. He wears a silver circular pendant with a photo of he and his wife on their wedding day and the words "Cherish Love'' engraved on the back. It was a gift from the Wilforks when they learned Myra Kraft had cancer.

"Mr. Kraft always liked it,'' said Bianca Wilfork. "When he told us Myra was sick last year, we called our jeweler and had it made. It had a lot of significance, because he always told us, 'Always keep what's important close to you.' You can have a million dollars, but if you don't have love, you're broke.''

SI Link
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Just catching up from a weekend at the softball field, and I don't really care much about Hall of Fame stuff to begin with, but I have to ask... who the hell did the sculptor think he was sculpting?! It looks like Troy Aikman! Holy crap is that bad.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #15
Ksyrup

Lions signed Jerome Harrison and Mike Bell, who were traded for each other last year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-09-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Just catching up from a weekend at the softball field, and I don't really care much about Hall of Fame stuff to begin with, but I have to ask... who the hell did the sculptor think he was sculpting?! It looks like Troy Aikman! Holy crap is that bad.

It does look like Troy Aikman.

Really, that's supposed to be Deion?
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #17
Ksyrup

Apparently.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #18
spleen1015
Coordinator

It looks like him to me. With the Bronze, I think the shadows effect the way it looks from certain angles. I saw a side view of it some where and it looks like him.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #19
Ksyrup

The smile is not his at all, and the eyes are nothing like his. He's got Aikman's eyes, that's the major problem. His smile is ALWAYS wider than that, and his bottom lip comes down more, kinda like the Joker in a way.

Look at the eyes:

Old 08-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #20
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Power of suggestion -- I hadn't seen it before, and didn't know who it was supposed to be, and now I can't shake thinking that it's Troy Aikman.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #21
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Looks like vampire Deion.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:16 AM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

All of these stories about the leadership of Tom Brady. The redemption of Albert Haynesworth. The wacky hijinks of Chad Ochocinco....

This is why I love football so much.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

And the Deion sculpture looks like drunken stoned Dan Marino to me.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #24
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Too lazy to search for the Free Agency thread but the Eagles signed Steve Smith of the Gmen. Awesome signing for Philly. Smith is gonna' start the year on PUP but he's a great 3rd option there.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #25
RedKingGold
College Starter

I'm going to the Eagles-Ravens game tomorrow night. Pretty sure the crowd's going to be insane.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #26
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Russell Okung was just carted off the field.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #27
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Did they change intentional grounding again? I thought you were allowed to throw the ball away if you were outside the 'tackle box'. Yet they flagged Jackson for it in the Seahawks-Chargers game.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #28
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Pats looking good in preseason.

Haha.

Mallet looked good actually...for a rook. Hoyer's great. Ridley looks like an actual find at RB, and Taylor Price is a stud WR.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #29
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Did they change intentional grounding again? I thought you were allowed to throw the ball away if you were outside the 'tackle box'. Yet they flagged Jackson for it in the Seahawks-Chargers game.

If it's the play I remember seeing, the bell didn't make it to the line of scrimmage.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 AM   #30
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
If it's the play I remember seeing, the bell didn't make it to the line of scrimmage.

Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement of Jackson.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #31
spleen1015
Coordinator

That pass was tipped. I think it would have made it to the line of scrimmage if it wasn't.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #32
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Pats looking good in preseason.

Haha.

Mallet looked good actually...for a rook. Hoyer's great. Ridley looks like an actual find at RB, and Taylor Price is a stud WR.

Hi, jb!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #33
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Hi, jb!

That was the obvious intent of my post
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #34
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Lee Evans to the Ravens. He's possibly done, but it just shows how cheap the Bills are. Gotta save that 5 million bucks.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #35
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Obama was given a share of Packers stock today at their White House visit. First thing he said after that, "Now that I am owner, I think we will need to work out a trade to get Rodgers down to the Bears."

Hilarious.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #36
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Lee Evans to the Ravens. He's possibly done, but it just shows how cheap the Bills are. Gotta save that 5 million bucks.

He'll actually have a quarterback and a good team that wants to win. The Bills have to worst franchise in pro sports. Ralph Wilson needs to go soon.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #37
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Obama was given a share of Packers stock today at their White House visit. First thing he said after that, "Now that I am owner, I think we will need to work out a trade to get Rodgers down to the Bears."

Hilarious.
Ringing endorsement of Cutler...
Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #38
Tigercat
College Starter

The Saints, the experts at finding small school gems the past few years, might have found another one. Joseph Morgan from small Walsh University in Ohio went undrafted, and there was absolutely no pub on him before this game. But out of nowhere he started as punt returner today, and he looks electric. Already has a punt return for a TD and has shown great speed and instincts for it. If he has halfway decent hands to be an emergency WR, he has a decent chance to make the team as Reggie's PR replacement.

Last edited by Tigercat : 08-12-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #39
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
The Saints, the experts at finding small school gems the past few years, might have found another one. Joseph Morgan from small Walsh University in Ohio went undrafted, and there was absolutely no pub on him before this game. But out of nowhere he started as punt returner today, and he looks electric. Already has a punt return for a TD and has shown great speed and instincts for it. If he has halfway decent hands to be an emergency WR, he has a decent chance to make the team as Reggie's PR replacement.

Thought that was what they brought Darren Sproles for?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #40
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Thought that was what they brought Darren Sproles for?

Sproles is the offensive replacement for Bush. Not a shoe in to be a starting returner.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #41
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Andy Dalton had a rough night, including get tackled by his head by Suh. Welcome to the NFL kid.

And of course, Henne went 1-5 for 10 yards vs. the Falcons first string defense.

Last edited by BillJasper : 08-12-2011 at 10:51 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #42
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
And of course, Henne went 1-5 for 10 yards vs. the Falcons first string defense.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:32 AM   #43
rowech
Pro Starter

Bengals are worse than I could have imagined. They have 0 depth to their team and there starter aren't all that great in most places. I stand by a statement I made earlier that there are only two chances on their schedule to win a game.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:40 AM   #44
Dutch
"Dutch"

The Bucs looked good in Kansas City last night.

Josh Freeman looked pretty good, continues to play smart (doesn't rush his throws but moves in the pocket to make time), but ended up running on a couple of occassions when it looked like he had guys wide open. Since he's 6'5", it's really about getting that game-time awareness back.

2nd string QB Josh Johnson continues to improve. He's not Michael Vick, but I think when he's in his prime, he'll play a game similiar to Vick's game back in Atlanta. Good arm, great mobility, probably the wrong system though as Tampa basically works Freeman as a classic dropback QB.

The Bucs WR's are a great corp of receivers, but they lack that ball-possession guy. Insert Kellen Winslow (he didn't play last night) and suddenly we'll have that again.

The Defense looks FAST. They were all over every play. Breaking down the Chief's line at will, big hits from their secondary, swarmed to the ball-carriers....the 3rd and 4th string teams were dropping late-hits/stupid-hits at the end of the game which showcased their enthusiasm...but not their ability to play the game of football.

Barring a couple of illegal shifts and one empty backfield that left Josh Johnson (with ball outstretched to hand-off) doing a 180 into a swarm of angry Chief lineman and LB's----the Bucs looked sharp and ready to play. Very positive sign for the 1st pre-season action.

Next up, The New England Patriots...I think they will be more prepared than the Chiefs, but that's just a hunch. I'm taking my wife to that game...excluding the predicted 35,000 Pats fans, I can't wait.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #45
spleen1015
Coordinator

Rex Grossman.

MVP.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #46
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I stand by the Niners are going to be the worst team in the NFL. Their OL played nearly the entire first half and gave up five sacks. Yes the Saints blitzed a lot but that is just insane. That offense is flat out awful.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #47
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

Don't 'rolleyes' at me... I'm a huge Dolphins fan. And by all accounts last night was painful.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #48
kingfc22
Head Coach

And Alex Smith still sucks...when will this franchise learn that!!!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #49
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
And Alex Smith still sucks...when will this franchise learn that!!!!!

Or better yet, when is Alex Smith going to start living up to his wildly amazing potential and start producing? And no, I'm not suggesting he's great simply because my 15-team FF league starts 2 QB's and I landed this schlub....or....ok, I guess maybe I am.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #50
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I don't know why I am watching the damn Bills game...trading Lee Evans....grr..

I do like the look of their white jerseys

Last edited by MacroGuru : 08-13-2011 at 07:20 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote