Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2022, 07:23 PM   #651
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Tuning in to the Amazon FB game, and I have to say, this picture is noticeably crisper than our typical DirecTV picture. Even the commercials.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:25 PM   #652
Kodos
Resident Alien

Mine is a blurry mess.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:26 PM   #653
Kodos
Resident Alien

Now it’s better.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:27 PM   #654
Ksyrup

So far I've had zero issues with the stream. I can't get over how amazing it looks though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-15-2022, 08:47 PM   #655
Edward64
Head Coach

I have football through Sling one year and had issues with "freezes". No problems with Hulu last year and so far, this year.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:40 PM   #656
Kodos
Resident Alien

Mine’s a blurry mess again.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:54 PM   #657
Butter
Coordinator

Sound has had messed up sync multiple times
Old 09-20-2022, 12:42 PM   #658
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yep, that's as they describe it.

ESPN+ doesn't solve my problem (and that of many SEC fans in particular, based on the comments on my social media). Several noted to me that they've had to go to three-TV setups just to get through football season without pulling all their hair out.

ESPN+ can just go ahead and die in a fire already. You still have to subscribe to ESPN or FS1 or whatever to get the good games, but if you want to see all of your third tier games, you have to pay for everyone's dumpster fire of third tier games and sports.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #659
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Dish drops Disney networks overnight with no notice.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:38 AM   #660
Ksyrup

I just saw a commercial about it on my stream and it's Dish and Sling that both lost Disney/ESPN.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-01-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:44 AM   #661
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Yeah, Dish owns Sling.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:58 AM   #662
Ksyrup

I can't believe they would go silent on an impending deadline and then screw people out of ESPN on 6 hours notice during college football season. I guess the good thing is you can cancel and get another service pretty quickly.

I never looked very closely at Sling because it seemed to be the most restrictive/limited of all the streaming services.
Old 10-01-2022, 02:00 PM   #663
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Doesn’t Dish still make you sign a long contract?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:23 AM   #664
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Does anyone have experience with indoor antennas that work at a long distance?

We're 40-45 miles from two clusters of broadcasts, and there are a few stations I would like to be able to view (Telemundo being one, for the World Cup). Plus, during the day, especially with bad weather, only a couple of stations come in reliably.

Right now, I'd say we're doing OK with anything over 75 dBuV/m using a powered antenna, but I'd like to get down all the way to 50 (the Telemundo station supposedly reaches us at 52 dBuV/m).

Rooftop/outdoors isn't an option.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:46 AM   #665
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I use YouTubeTV, so I can't recommend any antennas.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:23 AM   #666
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

We've had pretty good luck with this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

We bought it in 2014 and so it's not available anymore, but I would expect they have an updated version.

Obviously it works well in Chicagoland, where we are now, but it worked decently in Maine when we lived there years ago, which might be more analogous to your situation.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 12:31 PM   #667
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Just read that Fubo is getting Bally's. I would pay a bit more for YTTV to make a similar deal.
Old 12-21-2022, 12:50 PM   #668
Ksyrup

Fubo is the one that doesn't have CNN or Turner networks, right? The idea of not getting March Madness, NBA and MLB playoffs makes Fubo a non-starter but otherwise it was pretty close to perfect for what I wanted (with a small package supplement I think).

Still trying to decide what to do after my free Sunday Ticket ends at the end of the regular season. I'm pretty sure I'm going to try to hold DTV hostage for a drastic price cut before I decide to take the streaming plunge.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-21-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:26 PM   #669
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

We are debating a switch right now. We pay way too much for cable, high speed internet, and several streaming services. I'm trying to price out a cheaper way, but I can't seem to get there easily without giving up something I don't want to. AS well I have to have something easy for my wife to use, and she is just not good at learning new things.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 02:33 PM   #670
Ksyrup

I put together two packages for about $90-100 that would get me nearly everything I want - except Tennis Channel and the regional sports networks. Considering I'm paying $215 right now, I'm willing to make that trade if I can't get DTV to cut my bill in half.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:39 PM   #671
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I put together two packages for about $90-100 that would get me nearly everything I want - except Tennis Channel and the regional sports networks. Considering I'm paying $215 right now, I'm willing to make that trade if I can't get DTV to cut my bill in half.
Including high speed internet? Internet alone is going to run me over $100.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:06 PM   #672
Ksyrup

No, I pay completely separately for internet. I've got a 1GB fiber package for $100 for internet and landline.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:24 AM   #673
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

YouTube just paid the NFL $2 billion per year to get NFL Sunday Ticket exclusively.

So, I guess dreams that it will be a stand-alone product without 600 channels of associated network garbage no one ever watches are futile.
Old 12-22-2022, 11:12 AM   #674
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't think that was ever in play. While we're dreaming impossible dreams, I'd like the option to get a cheaper version of Sunday Ticket where I can watch all of one team's games. Would make it much easier to follow an out-of-market team.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 11:44 AM   #675
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

That's why I cut the cord. It's too much money to play the game for anyone to get involved who won't spread the cost across a wide subscription base.

I understand why those who don't like sports are sick and tired of paying for them. I wonder if a breaking point is coming. So far, for me, I don't really mind life without ESPN, though it'll hurt a bit missing Michigan/TCU. I guess I could go to a bar.

We can easily follow out-of-market teams in the NFL this year, as long as they're based in Tampa Bay.
Old 12-22-2022, 12:09 PM   #676
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I don't think that was ever in play. While we're dreaming impossible dreams, I'd like the option to get a cheaper version of Sunday Ticket where I can watch all of one team's games. Would make it much easier to follow an out-of-market team.

I've wanted this too with both NFL and MLB. If it's $400 for the package or $10 per game, $170, for the team I select? I won't pay the $400, I'll stick with Redzone. I will pony up a $170 for my team. I've been a Rams fan since 1969, my son is a Chiefs fan, and the Rams were finally coming to KC this year. Cheapest ticket? $135. That $175 for the season doesn't sound so bad.

MLB? I would gladly pay a ~$100 to watch the Cubs games live instead of the stupid blackouts and having to wait 90 minutes after the game ends. IOW instead of ~ $120 for the entire package and dealing with blackouts, charge me the same as the package for the one team I want to watch live and, let me watch them live.

Totally agree with you... never going to happen.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 12:17 PM   #677
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

According to TheAthletic, the deals the NFL has for NFC (Fox) and AFC (CBS) games require that the Sunday Ticket package be (1) inclusive of all teams and (2) expensive. The thinking is they want to discourage people from buying Sunday Ticket and watching local games on in and therefore bypassing local broadcasters. Since the NFL has a legally codified anti-trust exemption to their broadcast rights, they can essentially do whatever they please. This means they can keep prices as high as possible. This is why Roger Goodell makes $200M a year
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 12:19 PM   #678
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Apple TV wanted the Sunday Ticket package very badly, and was willing to pay more than YouTube, but they also wanted to significantly lower the price (to attract more subs) and the NFL refused.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 12:51 PM   #679
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

This is why locast was sued and had to go out of business. If the NFL had their games somewhere else, no one would care if people could get a local Chicago fox station in Florida.

Sent from my V2029 using Tapatalk
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 01:39 PM   #680
Ksyrup

I told my daughter to enjoy the last few weeks of free NFL Sunday Ticket because even if I cut the cord and happened to go with YTTV, I'm not buying the package for $400. I stopped buying it on DTV years ago, but fortunately, they started losing so many subscribers that they just gave it to me without asking for the past 3 or 4 years.

It's been great, but the gravy train is ending and I'm not hopping on board the PPV model again.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-22-2022 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:50 AM   #681
Galaril
Pro Starter

So We are ow considering cord cutting. Our internet was 1 GB but that was when we had five kids and two adults on zoom, but now we are all back to normal at work or school. I am think we can get by with even just 500-400mbs. Also the entire tv package is just to be able to watch nba playoffs, March madness the college football games on the local broadcast channels and espn. We will occasionally watch cnn or msnbc but can normally get by without it.Otherwise mostly use are streaming g on hula, Disney and Netflix through fire tv. But I am thinking we can kill tv altogether and just have internet service and the couple of streaming services. I know espn 3 Disney and hula can be bundled. Now for all of the above we are paying around $320 I think I could halve that to around $150. I will look at YTTV and Fuji but are there any other options people recommend. It would be relatively easy if not for the college football stuff on espn.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:28 PM   #682
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

With the cord-cutting streamers, you're mostly paying for the same set of channels now. Slight differences, but it's mostly marketing and quality. The big plus is that you have no contracts, none of the legendary bad service from a behemoth like Charter or Comcast over any change to service. You pay by the month and that's it.

But the price keeps rising. The DVRs aren't quite as good or reliable (generally "cloud" storage) and there can be quality issues with the stream. Changing channels is slow because of buffering. "Live" is a little bit more behind, so you have to separate what you're watching from what you're following online.

They all have free trials, usually at least three days. Do it over a weekend and you can get a good idea if you can deal with it.

After a couple of years of the streamers, I finally decided I didn't need any of it. Just a better antenna.
Old 01-07-2023, 04:59 PM   #683
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I told my daughter to enjoy the last few weeks of free NFL Sunday Ticket because even if I cut the cord and happened to go with YTTV, I'm not buying the package for $400. I stopped buying it on DTV years ago, but fortunately, they started losing so many subscribers that they just gave it to me without asking for the past 3 or 4 years.

It's been great, but the gravy train is ending and I'm not hopping on board the PPV model again.
Same.
Old 01-07-2023, 05:21 PM   #684
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
With the cord-cutting streamers, you're mostly paying for the same set of channels now. Slight differences, but it's mostly marketing and quality. The big plus is that you have no contracts, none of the legendary bad service from a behemoth like Charter or Comcast over any change to service. You pay by the month and that's it.

But the price keeps rising. The DVRs aren't quite as good or reliable (generally "cloud" storage) and there can be quality issues with the stream. Changing channels is slow because of buffering. "Live" is a little bit more behind, so you have to separate what you're watching from what you're following online.

They all have free trials, usually at least three days. Do it over a weekend and you can get a good idea if you can deal with it.

After a couple of years of the streamers, I finally decided I didn't need any of it. Just a better antenna.

Good advice thanks.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:28 AM   #685
Edward64
Head Coach

Dreaming of watching streaming in one of these. The link has pics but can't really tell how really massive it would be. They should put an 85" or person in front of it.

Hands-on with Samsung's 140-inch Micro LED TV at CES 2023 - SamMobile
Quote:
Samsung Display has pushed the limits of its Micro LED TV technology once again. And at CES 2023, the consumer electronics giant revealed a new line of 4K Micro LED TVs, which now includes a sizeable 140-inch model.

Samsung’s new Micro LED TV lineup revealed at CES 2023 included seven sizes: 50, 63, 76, 89, 101, 114, and 140-inch. The latter truly is a sight to behold, and it’s even more impressive in person than it is on camera.

No price mentioned though. So I guess it's one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it"
Old 01-08-2023, 08:34 AM   #686
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So We are ow considering cord cutting. Our internet was 1 GB but that was when we had five kids and two adults on zoom, but now we are all back to normal at work or school. I am think we can get by with even just 500-400mbs. Also the entire tv package is just to be able to watch nba playoffs, March madness the college football games on the local broadcast channels and espn. We will occasionally watch cnn or msnbc but can normally get by without it.Otherwise mostly use are streaming g on hula, Disney and Netflix through fire tv. But I am thinking we can kill tv altogether and just have internet service and the couple of streaming services. I know espn 3 Disney and hula can be bundled. Now for all of the above we are paying around $320 I think I could halve that to around $150. I will look at YTTV and Fuji but are there any other options people recommend. It would be relatively easy if not for the college football stuff on espn.

FWIW, I pay $50/month with ATT internet.

Have Prime (free) & Netflix (think about $15?) as basics. Get the Hulu + sports package during football season ($70). Get Disney+ when new Mandalorian, Andor stuff is out. Get Paramount when new Star Trek seasons come out.

So your goal of $150 is definitely doable. But it's a pain in the butt to track, pause and start up various streaming services.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:44 AM   #687
Ksyrup

Now that the NFL season is ending, I'm debating how to approach DTV with a soft ultimatum. I'm not in a position to cancel immediately due to our DVR being filled. My wife would probably divorce me if I suddenly announced I terminated DTV at the end of the month. I'm going to try to do some research on what others might have been able to negotiate. Maybe there's a Reddit thread on this topic. I expect DTV has to be prepared for a slew of cancellations now that they are officially losing Sunday Ticket.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-08-2023 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:53 AM   #688
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Now that the NFL season is ending, I'm debating how to approach DTV with a soft ultimatum. I'm not in a position to cancel immediately due to our DVR being filled. My wife would probably divorce me if I suddenly announced I terminated DTV at the end of the month. I'm going to try to do some research on what others might have been able to negotiate. Maybe there's a Reddit thread on this topic. I expect DTV has to be prepared for a slew of cancellations now that they are officially losing Sunday Ticket.

Don't use DVR but always assumed you can download DVR contents to your computer or external HDD?
Old 01-08-2023, 11:06 AM   #689
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
FWIW, I pay $50/month with ATT internet.

Have Prime (free) & Netflix (think about $15?) as basics. Get the Hulu + sports package during football season ($70). Get Disney+ when new Mandalorian, Andor stuff is out. Get Paramount when new Star Trek seasons come out.

So your goal of $150 is definitely doable. But it's a pain in the butt to track, pause and start up various streaming services.

So do you that Hulu live tv year round or just during football season?
Old 01-08-2023, 11:25 AM   #690
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Don't use DVR but always assumed you can download DVR contents to your computer or external HDD?

I don't have any clue but last time I checked it looked extremely difficult and not something I'd be able to do or wasn't worth the time trying.

Edit: Refreshing my memory, it appears you have to set up some sort of video capture device to record a stream of each program to an external HD or computer. We have GBs and GBs of stuff that would need to be transferred. It would be less painful to just stay awake for 4 weeks and watch it all.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-08-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:55 AM   #691
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So do you that Hulu live tv year round or just during football season?

Just during football season. Time it right though. I just turned off Hulu but had to pay thru Feb 2nd because I didn’t factor in the NC game tomorrow
Old 01-08-2023, 01:44 PM   #692
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

If the channel selection is good for you, Fubo's streaming experience *on AppleTV has been second to none. I've tried them all at some point, but really love the Apple TV implementation because of Multiview. It made my HDMI matrix essentially obsolete.

Here's a video that shows how it looks and works. It's been pretty seamless for me.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 06:07 PM   #693
Ksyrup

DirecTV Lays off 10% Workforce - LayoffsTracker
Old 01-23-2023, 06:30 PM   #694
Ksyrup

Well, I think I convinced my wife (and myself) to ditch DirecTV by the end of February. She's got a bunch of Hallmark movies to try to finish off and we've got a few other series to try to catch up on before we switch. Once we get back from our cruise in mid-February, we'll do the free trials to make sure we're good with it and then I'm going to cancel.

I've done some research on a bunch of forums and it sounds like the general consensus is DTV has basically given up and is offering fewer concessions to get people to stay. At best, it sounds like maybe $30-50 a month, but most people aren't even getting that. I'll save about $110 a month making the switch to YouTube TV plus Philo and get nearly everything I have now except NHL Network (not a huge loss) and Tennis Channel (major loss for me). But even if I decide to add TC Plus for $110 a year to get my tennis fix, that's still only going to cost me a month of what I'm saving by switching from DTV.

I just hope the transition isn't too painful. Doing it right at the end of FB season will put off the college FB multiple games at once issue, which I'll have to figure out by September.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-23-2023 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:11 PM   #695
Ksyrup

I pulled up my account to confirm when my service would end if I canceled near the end of February and see that effective today, new pricing goes into effect and my package is going up $8/month. If I hadn't already decided I was going to cancel...
Old 01-24-2023, 09:33 PM   #696
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have a hard deadline to go through all the stuff on my DVR by the end of May, maybe sooner - and then it's time to play hardball with AT&T. It's been almost 2 years and I'm tired of paying as much as they want for what little they deliver. I'm about ready to cut the cord, finally

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:43 AM   #697
Ksyrup

Yeah, my DTV bill runs from middle of the month to middle of the month, so if I cancel after we get back from our cruise (sometime the week of February 20th), we'll still have DTV until around March 15th. That should be enough time to get rid of almost everything we absolutely have to watch on the DVR plus 2-3 weeks to get used to streaming and pick up recording in-season stuff to transition fully by mid-March. That's the plan, anyway.

I'm not even going to try to hardball them. I can't imagine them cutting $100 off my bill, especially since prices just went up - which I'll see on my next (and last) bill. It's effectively going to cut my bill by around $120 a month.
Old 01-26-2023, 04:03 PM   #698
Silver Owl
High School JV

I had Youtube TV about a year ago and absolutely hated how their DVR was setup. You couldn't delete something after you watched it so for any series we had recorded you had to go in and try and figure out which episode you have watched and which you haven't. They may have improved it by now but that was a common complaint back then.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:12 PM   #699
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Owl View Post
I had Youtube TV about a year ago and absolutely hated how their DVR was setup. You couldn't delete something after you watched it so for any series we had recorded you had to go in and try and figure out which episode you have watched and which you haven't. They may have improved it by now but that was a common complaint back then.
Can anyone give me an update on that? We are likely canceling cable this week, and Youtube was likely were we were going.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:09 PM   #700
Cuckoo
College Starter

It doesn't delete until a year, I think, but if you watch in order, it will move immediately to the next one. You can browse episodes and there's a progress bar to show the ones you've watched. We finally switched from Directv a few months ago and have been happy with Youtube.