Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #51
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
At the current rate, many shouldn't be doing the job. I'd take 7 day a week scheduling over the current situation.

There are weeks where the sheer ineptitude renders the games almost unwatchable. We're not simply talking the occasional missed/bad call, we're talking about it's become not unusual to have one official tell the sidelines that "I don't know what he's doing, we're trying but we can only fix so much". At least on those nights you know you have some honesty in the crew.

Even competent clock operators (by rule here, a registered official) are even hard to find for playoff games (when the schedules are much lighter) at this point. And again, I'm not talking about a one off mistake that goes with having humans involved, I'm talking about persistent & consistent errors over the course of long stretches. (The kind where the white hat looks into the press box with his arms outstretched to the heavens in the universal WTF gesture)

Over the past decade or so I consider it nothing short of a miracle that post-game shootings aren't commonplace. And that's an outright tribute to the enormous restraint on the part of the fans.

Depends on the nature of the mistake.

I respect good officials, and they get an amount of leeway for human error but regard the bad ones with nothing but contempt. And that's putting it mildly. The system for managing them here seems to have collapsed under its own weight & is in dire need of an overhaul though -- given the state of the broader administration of sports here -- I'm not even sure where it should land. You know it's bad when there seems to be a legitimate chance that the state legislature could do a better job than the current system.

The refs are terrible and should be replaced by......whom? There's a shortage isn't there? A shortage that parents caused. They've made their bed and have to live with consequences.

Quote:

Over the past decade or so I consider it nothing short of a miracle that post-game shootings aren't commonplace. And that's an outright tribute to the enormous restraint on the part of the fans.

I can't believe you have a ref shortage, LOL.

Should the kids be murdered if they make a mistake during the game?

If there's ref problem, it started with a parent problem. They should fill the void (along with coaches). If it's too legitimately dangerous for people to ref games in Georgia, those positions should be kept in-house to be filled by the people who caused the problems. Contain the cesspool.

Last edited by molson : 12-24-2018 at 12:41 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #52
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

If there aren't enough refs, pay more. If the league can't pay more without raising rates on parents, raise rates on parents. If parents don't want Tuesday or Wednesday games, they will pay to ensure a full and capable officials staff.

Supply and demand.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:59 PM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Where are the refs that can do this well? I've never heard a good answer to that.

This is actually a point I considered in a discussion on the subject elsewhere earlier this year. We're reaching the point where I think that we may have to look into completely restructuring the pay & independent contractor status of at least HS football officials in Georgia.

And there are a LOT of issues involved, including the population distribution of the state. Spoiler tagging image due to size
Spoiler

It takes just as many officials for a game involving 60 players across two teams as it does for games with close to 200 dressed out. (i.e. the size of the schools & the population associated with them). And every one of those sparsely populated counties to the south has at least one school, if not more.

Meanwhile, the commute times across an expansive metro make it difficult to get officials from Day Job A to Friday Night Game B. There are cases where crews are assigned from several multiples of distance farther (think east central into northeast for example) because they can make the trip quicker than someone a third of the distance away. It's something that the tendency is to err on the side of caution with (reasonably so) but it makes building crews a tougher task.

The pay scale - which is standardized statewide here, and mandated by the GHSA for their member schools (about 85-90% of football schools) - probably needs to be addressed. Problem is that the GHSA would likely have to kick in some of the home office money to upgrade it, and they're as loathe to let go of a dime as your typical legislature.

Last season roughly 1/4th of the football head coaching positions in Georgia changed hands. (This year, so far, does seem lighter) Compound those by changes in staff and you're talking about probably 500-1000 people whose livelihoods were impacted by Friday nights. Give or take, there's probably 25,000 kids playing varsity level football here. I can't even begin to estimate the number of advertisers involved across 500 football programs. Point being, simply, this is not a minor affair. It's business to the point of being big business. And those who foul up in an enterprise of that scale are not going to get the benefit of too many doubts.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #54
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't know how refs do it, at any level. Leagues are lucky to have them. I would have handed my whistle to that guy and left.

And I'll never understand why people can take ref calls so personally. Both parents and even fans watching pro games. I've seen on this board over the years (and worse on reddit). Every pro athlete is going to play badly on a play here or there, every ref is going to make calls you disagree with. Only the latter do people take as personal insults. When I see people do that, like at a casual football watching social event, I never look at them quite the same after that. They're the people who have road rage, the people who get caught on video having tantrums, the people who harass their ex-girlfriends, etc. Shitty entitled people who think every little thing that happens in the world they don't like is a personal calculated insult to them.

Totally agree.. unless I'm letting kids beat the crap out of each other, all calls are pretty much judgement calls and I also like to play the advantage.

Getting kicked out of a 5th grade indoor soccer game, hope he's proud of that.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #55
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Getting kicked out of a 5th grade indoor soccer game, hope he's proud of that.

I bet he does actually brag about that. In his mind you were personally wronging his kid and he was sticking up for him.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:28 PM   #56
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I can't speak for football, but youth soccer here in Missouri there is a definite shortage of referees because kids are finding other things to do to earn money than the alternative of being screamed at, threatened and constantly told they suck. This is by coaches and parents.

The leagues warn these coaches and players but one thing I hope to do once I become a board member is to start suspending or banning these coaches who abuse the referees. The same goes for parents, which like the players, the coaches need to control and handle those issues.

I may suck, but there is a right way to handle that, come to me calmly during half time and explain your concerns, you can also go to the leagues website and fill out a referee evaluation form as well as contact the league head referee. We have mentors for outdoor who watch the new referees.

These kid referees are scared to run a middle because of several coaches.

Indoor is different and we don't have many kids who want that challenge, hell we even have a city police officer there on Saturdays just for the fact of parents/kids/coaches who cause trouble. The sad thing is.. it will never improve until leagues start banning these problem coaches and parents who cannot control themselves.

I don't need the job or the money.. but I do it for the love of the game and hopefully teaching the kids something while I'm at it as well as ensure the game is played in a safe and fair manner. (plus the exercise is fantastic)

Last edited by MizzouRah : 12-24-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #57
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I bet he does actually brag about that. In his mind you were personally wronging his kid and he was sticking up for him.

No doubt.. too bad his kids heard him yelling cuss words at a referee, great learning tool for them.

The good thing is.. for every game like this with coaches like this, I have 20-30 more games where both teams play fair and have coaches and parents who encourage their kids to play fair, have great sportsmanship and above all have fun and respect the referee as well as the other team.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:13 PM   #58
MrBug708
Head Coach

Cool

Quote:
At the current rate, many shouldn't be doing the job. I'd take 7 day a week scheduling over the current situation.

There are weeks where the sheer ineptitude renders the games almost unwatchable. We're not simply talking the occasional missed/bad call, we're talking about it's become not unusual to have one official tell the sidelines that "I don't know what he's doing, we're trying but we can only fix so much". At least on those nights you know you have some honesty in the crew.

Even competent clock operators (by rule here, a registered official) are even hard to find for playoff games (when the schedules are much lighter) at this point. And again, I'm not talking about a one off mistake that goes with having humans involved, I'm talking about persistent & consistent errors over the course of long stretches. (The kind where the white hat looks into the press box with his arms outstretched to the heavens in the universal WTF gesture)

Depends on the nature of the mistake.

I respect good officials, and they get an amount of leeway for human error but regard the bad ones with nothing but contempt. And that's putting it mildly. The system for managing them here seems to have collapsed under its own weight & is in dire need of an overhaul though -- given the state of the broader administration of sports here -- I'm not even sure where it should land. You know it's bad when there seems to be a legitimate chance that the state legislature could do a better job than the current system.
I say Jon for head ref!

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-27-2018 at 01:01 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:17 PM   #59
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I don't miss coaching youth football very much because of parents...and at times the other coaches.

I miss the kids. That's about it.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:05 AM   #60
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

You were a heck of a coach, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:51 PM   #61
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I was a high school football ref in Connecticut for a decade. Started getting varsity assignments my second year long before I was ready. It really does take 5 years before the game isn’t moving so fast you can barely keep up.

I ‘retired’ after knocking the wife up while I was injured. The 4-5k you make a season is nowhere near enough money for the effort and the hassle.

I can’t imagine how hard up they are now - I was getting recruited for the college ECAC board after like 8 years and I was probably only mildly above average because I just didn’t love it enough to be fully committed.

I certainly didn’t want to spend any time wasting a weekend on a Mass Maritime/Colby game.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:55 PM   #62
Atocep
Coordinator

A guy I work with refs football games all the way from 8 year olds to varsity high school.

I've seen him stopped twice in the hallway at work (I work in a major military hospital) by parents that recognized him and questioned him about their kid's games (both times 8-10 year olds).
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:05 PM   #63
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post

I certainly didn’t want to spend any time wasting a weekend on a Mass Maritime/Colby game.

Nice, those are two "rivals" of my hometown Fitchburg St. Falcons.

I would think at least the harassment would be a little less at that level of college football than it is in high school. But still, nobody should take these jobs.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #64
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

https://deadspin.com/youth-wrestling...ium=socialflow

The parents should be barred from attending future matches. WTF is wrong with these people.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:10 PM   #65
miami_fan
Coordinator

Lakewood youth baseball brawl leads to citations; investigators looking for assault suspect

No need for punishment for these adults. I am sure this is not a true representation of who they actually are.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #66
RainMaker
General Manager

That is some brawl.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #67
bhlloy
Coordinator

The sucker punch guy is lucky he’s not up on a murder charge - as it is he’s probably still looking at some time as the police said one person was seriously injured
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:56 PM   #68
molson
General Manager

What could possibly make people so violently angry at a youth baseball game.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:04 AM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Based on that question I can only assume you've never been to one.

I can think of few relatively few environments where I've ever seen anyone angrier or in one specific instance, been any angrier.

That old saying about how "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned"? They ain't got nothing on people whose kids got fucked over.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:39 AM   #70
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Yeah at a youth hockey game in the playoffs, the other team was beating our team 5-0, and the outcome was not in any doubt. The parents were taunting our parents and insulting our players. It was way beyond cheering. I stood up and threatened to knock out one of the rude parents if he didn't shut up. I was ready to throw down if required. Thankfully he shut up and things got better.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #71
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It was 7 year olds playing, my guess is the Colorado Rockies had scouts there.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:17 AM   #72
PilotMan
Head Coach

They were mad about a call the 13 yr old ump made. This is fucking insane. I did a triple take when I read how old the kids, both, were. When did winning become more important than raising your kids?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #73
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
When did winning become more important than raising your kids?

Depends on what you're raising them to be I suppose. But while the scale of this one is certainly out of the ordinary, I saw a few knives pulled & a couple of guns drawn in small (1 v 1 or 2 v 2) settings as far back at the mid 70s. Not common by any means but it definitely isn't something entirely new either.

But after reading several versions of the story a couple things stand out to me

1) Best I can tell, this was parents vs parents (tho some coaches were apparently somewhere in the mix). I'm starting to doubt that the controversial call was anything more than a starting point for stuff that escalated beyond the call itself. None of the versions I've read suggest that either side went after the umpire, they were after each other.

1a) Situations like Mota described up the thread do occur - I remember a similar one some years back at a girls HS b'ball game -- and usually end the same way his did. Once in a rare while, they end otherwise. At the end of the tale I suspect the escalation will be something like he described, somebody pushed somebody too far & off things went. Once the first punch is thrown, somebody on the receiving end had a right to defend themselves.

2) I still haven't seen any explanation of whether the call (about batting out of order) was correct or not. May not have mattered to the parents but, yeah, I'd be at the very least curious to know.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #74
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
When did winning become more important than raising your kids?

Sadly it has been that way for a long time. It just gets more exposure now because everyone has a part time TMZ gig with their iphones.

I have been in coaching since '87 and there are incidents scattered throughout that entire time.
1-Officials getting punched by parents
2-Coaches and officials going at each other and then parents getting involved
3-A family coming on the field because their kid get hit too hard trying to start fights (I actually coached that game and the and had a one of them square up on me)
4-A parent went after one of my assistants because he thought he celebrated his kid getting hurt (Not true)
5-Full scale brawl at a Junior Jazz Basketball game (I was working security at that game - Which why would you need security for a fucking 10 year old Hoops game in a rec league?)

Beyond more serious stuff like that, untold numbers of verbal BS including racial slurs, threats of violence and throwing rocks. It seems worse at the younger levels where you have parents who are more out of touch with their kids abilities and/or the purpose of sports at that point in time. Which is learning the game and having a good experience.

By the time we get kids in High School things are considerably better in terms of physical confrontations involving parents, for several reasons IMO.
1-People have matured and put sports in a more appropriate perspective.
2-Parents who are over the top often drive their kids away from sports and those kids have quit playing by the time they get to High School.
3-These parents lose interest because they realize they are not going to see their dreams fulfilled through their kids. So they check out, quit coming to games, etc.
4-The modus operandi evolves with some parents becoming totally centered on their kids getting stats/schollies. So now they are more subversive, shopping their kids to different schools, focusing more on showcase camps than game results, etc. So instead of being disruptive during games they transition their disruption behind the scenes

And in terms of the crowd that feels not enough emphasis is placed on winning in youth sports anymore, which results in a kids growing up soft and entitled. Bullshit! You can instill character and toughness in kids without focusing on winning games. Demanding commitment, hard work, in game effort, execution and perseverance gives kids these attributes more than a fucking score.

I have rarely ever mentioned winning games over 30+ years of coaching football because those things take care of themselves if you put in the work. I coach to win, expect kids to play to win, but never use winning to define success. I want to see a kid 10-15 years down the road who is a good husband, father and citizen. Who despite a 4-6 record his senior year was molded by his time in sports by things that aren't learned in a win at all costs environment. I would much rather have the latter then go 10-0 with a team of superstars, that we let get away with murder because they are talented, instead of holding them accountable and building men. Just to get the dub.

And yes, I know there are plenty of coaches that do care about winning at all costs. That have different rules for different talents levels. Who allow the me attitude to fester because they cater to entitled parents and athletes because they look good in the end. Fuck them just as much as parents like the clowns in this video.

And I close with this disclaimer. These parents, thankfully are still the exception. The good, supportive parents far outweigh the idiots, but of course shit like this always gets the publicity.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #75
molson
General Manager

I wonder how the impacted kids talk about this stuff amongst themselves. 7 is so young, they're still the age where whatever their parents do just becomes their normal, their version of what the world is. Which is terrifying. Maybe 12 or so is old enough where you can mock the other kids whose parents act like this.

And 13 year old umpires and refs is a horrible idea. Really anybody choosing to ref is making a risky choice. That's where the change in youth sports can come, when nobody is willing to do this anymore. In the meantime, that job is only going to attract a certain kind of person who either can handle the harassment, or enjoys the confrontation and throwing it back at the harassers.

I never saw any of this as a kid in the 80s. I am very retroactively thankful for the positive environment my coaches and other parents created. I played youth sports in a time and place where the most embarrassing thing me or my friends could possibly imagine is our parents being too visible, at anything. I don't know if that was unusual at the time, but, it's still bizarre to me how aggressively involved some parents can be in every facet of their kids' life, including how they experience something that should be a coming-of-age/maturing/gaining independence kind of experience like youth sports. When I played the kids really were the focus, it wasn't about the parents.

Last edited by molson : 06-20-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #76
henry296
College Starter

Really relevant article on referees from ESPN yesterday.

A 'crisis mode' at all levels - How technology put officials in a tough spot
Old 06-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #77
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

And 13 year old umpires and refs is a horrible idea. Really anybody choosing to ref is making a risky choice. That's where the change in youth sports can come, when nobody is willing to do this anymore. In the meantime, that job is only going to attract a certain kind of person who either can handle the harassment, or enjoys the confrontation and throwing it back at the harassers.

I could not disagree more with this.

How about the adults act like adults instead of the expectation being the official needs to be old enough to be the only grown up at the field?

I think 13 is a great age for this. Gives them a chance to earn a little money and also better learn the rules of the game and how to be in a position of authority.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #78
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I could not disagree more with this.

How about the adults act like adults instead of the expectation being the official needs to be old enough to be the only grown up at the field?

I think 13 is a great age for this. Gives them a chance to earn a little money and also better learn the rules of the game and how to be in a position of authority.

That's be nice if adults acted like adults on their own, but when they don't, it kind of is the umpire's job to the grown up on the field, which seems like a heavy task for most 13-year olds.

Though I do like the idea of 13-year olds kicking out parents and banning them from games. If the league would support them in doing that. If other adults can't hold adults accountable, maybe SOME of them could see the light when they're given a lesson in maturity and accountability from a child. (Though that could also be very dangerous for the child).

Last edited by molson : 06-20-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #79
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
And in terms of the crowd that feels not enough emphasis is placed on winning in youth sports anymore, which results in a kids growing up soft and entitled. Bullshit! You can instill character and toughness in kids without focusing on winning games. Demanding commitment, hard work, in game effort, execution and perseverance gives kids these attributes more than a fucking score.

I have rarely ever mentioned winning games over 30+ years of coaching football because those things take care of themselves if you put in the work. I coach to win, expect kids to play to win, but never use winning to define success. I want to see a kid 10-15 years down the road who is a good husband, father and citizen. Who despite a 4-6 record his senior year was molded by his time in sports by things that aren't learned in a win at all costs environment. I would much rather have the latter then go 10-0 with a team of superstars, that we let get away with murder because they are talented, instead of holding them accountable and building men. Just to get the dub.

And yes, I know there are plenty of coaches that do care about winning at all costs. That have different rules for different talents levels. Who allow the me attitude to fester because they cater to entitled parents and athletes because they look good in the end. Fuck them just as much as parents like the clowns in this video.

This.

Winning, getting perfect test scores, same kind of emphasis. There is a lot of fixation on results over process. A million little things breaking your way can result in victory from a poorly executed plan, happens in sports, happens in other aspects of life. It should be more about following the right process than what the final result of that process was.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #80
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
2) I still haven't seen any explanation of whether the call (about batting out of order) was correct or not. May not have mattered to the parents but, yeah, I'd be at the very least curious to know.
Yeah, everyone is focusing on the fight aspect, but I need to know if the call was right!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #81
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Yeah, everyone is focusing on the fight aspect, but I need to know if the call was right!

Did they have instant replay?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #82
miami_fan
Coordinator

Time to bring a bit of positivity to this thread.

I had a cool experience tonight. I am an assistant coach for my son's 12U team. My job on game day is to make sure our kids hit in the right order, make sure they go to the right spots in the field based on the head coach's plan and make the other team comes up in the right order. In doing that last duty, I decided to track if they got a hit or made an out for my own info.

The head coach had his son start the game today against a team we played on opening day and beat 7-5. His son is a good pitcher but not a great pitcher who had only pitched one inning in the first five games of the season. The plan was for his son to go 2 maybe 3 innings of a six inning game if things are going well. Well three innings complete, we have a 4-0 lead and the kid is at 31 pitches. I tell his dad that about his number of pitches so he sends him back out to the mound. Fourth inning goes well also. Fifth inning with two outs the kid is now at 45 pitches. Pitch 46 is a ground out to second. After the bottom of the fifth inning, the HC (the pitcher's father) comes up to me and asked "Has [son's name] given up any hits?" My response? "Coach, [son's name] has not given up a hit or a walk. He's been perfect and he only has 46 pitches." The look on his face told me I had confirmed what the other team's coaches had made him aware during the bottom of the fifth. He had immediately switched from coach to nervous dad. Top of the sixth, first batter up, strikeout. Second batter up, ground ball to the pitcher's best friend at short throw to first for the out. Third batter, popup to third caught. Perfect game completed. The first perfect game I have ever seen in person.

The best parts of the night? The ovation from our team's parents when they realized what happened. The number of the parents of the other team that came over to congratulate the kid on his accomplishment.The coaches of the 14U team that was playing on the next field overheard what was happening from their dugout and came over to offer their congratulations. The umpire giving the kid another game ball saying that is the best pitching performances he has seen at this level.

Youth sports can be really cool sometimes.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #83
PilotMan
Head Coach

That is pretty freaking awesome. Thanks for sharing. That's a dream for any kid.

Like Steam?

Old 03-09-2020, 10:27 PM   #84
Atocep
Coordinator

That's awesome and rare even in youth sports.

In all the youth sports games I've coached and watched as my kid has played I have yet to see a single no hitter or perfect game. He's 18 and I've seen him play with and against multiple draft picks and this January caught a potential 1st round rounder. A few 1 hitters, but zero no hitters and certainly not a perfect game.

That kid will remember that moment for the rest of his life.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #85
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Very cool moment.

I was doing P.A. (only did that maybe half dozen baseball games ever) for a 13-14 y/o no-hitter about 30 years ago and still remember it very well, so exponentially memories for those more involved on this one.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #86
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wow, I just re-read my last post in this thread and it almost brought a tear. I have to separate that from what I came here to post.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #87
miami_fan
Coordinator

Old 12-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #88
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I saw that. You have to think that was his kid, because any parent would have killed that guy.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #89
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

One of the most uncomfortable moments I've ever witnessed of a coach-player interaction was during a middle school girls basketball game. Coach for the other team called TO after a turnover just to yell at one girl. The rest of the team is to the side, she's sitting in a chair, and the coach is in her face, screaming at her. About 30 seconds into the TO, the crowd sees what's happening and it sounds like a church in there - except for the screaming coach. Super uncomfortable. Nothing physical, but totally uncalled for. This was like 11 and 12 year olds.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #90
BYU 14
Coordinator

That guy better be done coaching, forever. And yeah, if that was not his kid someone should have been throwing hands with him.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #91
PilotMan
Head Coach

If that was his kid I hope that he got a visit from CPS, because that it 100% completely out of line. That's what an abusive home looks like. Fuck that guy.

Like Steam?

Old 12-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #92
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
If that was his kid I hope that he got a visit from CPS, because that it 100% completely out of line. That's what an abusive home looks like. Fuck that guy.

Right, could you imagine what goes on in the home if he does that shit in public?
Old 12-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #93
miami_fan
Coordinator

The apology

And the result.

https://www.savannahnow.com/story/ne...ee/3879770001/

Given this guy's former place of employment, I am struggling with not connecting the behavior I saw on the field and the worst behavior that I have seen at youth detention centers. I know it is not right but I am struggling nonetheless.

Last edited by miami_fan : 12-10-2020 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Fixed the story link.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:47 PM   #94
BYU 14
Coordinator

So that wasn't even his kid, WTF? And him saying the Mother was okay with it. Hell no!
Old 12-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #95
miami_fan
Coordinator

The mother said as much herself because she knows "that none of these coaches would harm (the) kids."

All is fair in war and youth football.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:16 AM   #96
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The mother said as much herself because she knows "that none of these coaches would harm (the) kids."

All is fair in war and youth football.

The very definition of unacceptable culture within a sports organization.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #97
Edward64
Head Coach

Banned.

I would like to know if this was a one time thing or if there's been history. If one time, I'd lean to suspending him, have him do some public service, send him to anger management or whatever, and eventually give him a path back.

Quote:
A Georgia youth football coach has been banned for life from the league after a video surfaced of him assaulting a player during a game on Monday. The video showed the coach of a nine-and-under youth football team from Savannah, Georgia striking a player twice in the helmet.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #98
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
The Chatham County Sheriff's Office has launched an internal investigation and Williams has been terminated from his position as a counselor in the detention center.

Can't be a role model if this is how you act. I hope that he really pays the price for his actions.

Like Steam?

Old 12-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #99
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Banned.

I would like to know if this was a one time thing or if there's been history. If one time, I'd lean to suspending him, have him do some public service, send him to anger management or whatever, and eventually give him a path back.

There should be absolutely zero tolerance for putting your hands on an athlete period, especially on an U9 youth football team.

In 32 years of HS Football I have zero complaints about my conduct as a coach. If I lost my mind tomorrow and smacked a kid in the head hard enough to knock him down, I would not only be fired, but pretty much blackballed from getting a job on another staff in this state, and that is how it should be. Arizona has had issues with coaches in years past using physical intimidation on players and there is no way that flies here anymore, no matter how good your record has been in the past.

If you aren't enough of a man to control your emotions, again especially in youth ball, where the focus should not be on winning, but developing athletes skills and passion for the game, then you don't deserve to hold a clipboard.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #100
molson
General Manager

Guys, come on, stop bashing him.