Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-08-2020, 09:11 PM   #401
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Respectfully, I had to do an emergency backfill for a co-worker on a project because his 2 year old child died of the flu. I can't imagine the pain ...

I personally would not take a chance with my child.

And that is the difference. It isnt killing anyone under 40. This is much different tan the flu.

Is 3-4% correct? maybe, if the elderly are contracting it.

The experts say that the young have the immune system to fight it like they do the common cold and are in fact building up immunity.

If ever the millenials had a glimmer of hope with the boomers, this is it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:18 PM   #402
tarcone
Coordinator

Old 03-08-2020, 09:19 PM   #403
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
And that is the difference. It isnt killing anyone under 40. This is much different tan the flu.

I'm pretty sure it is killing people under 40.

Quote:

I think the 3-4% is believable for older folks or those with preexisting conditions. China stats said 14% for 80+ and 8% for 70+. I've not seen an age breakdown from Italy yet.

Quote:
The experts say that the young have the immune system to fight it like they do the common cold and are in fact building up immunity.

That may be. But many kids have asthma and other conditions that may make them more susceptible. So your blanket statement about not killing anyone under 40 is premature

Quote:

Call it what it is. Ageism is to age as Racism is to race. Lots of anti-racists here that don't give 2c for Boomer+.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:23 PM   #404
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

This is ignorant and flippant in the absolute extreme. Many people under 40 have compromised immune systems or have other health issues that put them at serious risk.

I guess I’ll tell my buddy who is looking at needing to keep his daughter inside for months once there’s a case close enough to him that you told him not to worry.

Last edited by bhlloy : 03-08-2020 at 09:23 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:32 PM   #405
tarcone
Coordinator

Another thing is that you have to be in close contact with someone for 25-30 minutes to contract it from them.

True, it is alive for 9 days on some surfaces, but wash your hands with soap and water and keep them away from your face.

This is basic hygiene. Teach your kids how to wash their hands.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #406
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Another thing is that you have to be in close contact with someone for 25-30 minutes to contract it from them.

True, it is alive for 9 days on some surfaces, but wash your hands with soap and water and keep them away from your face.

I have heard you quote this 25-30 minute thing a few times in this thread. Not sure I would bank on that. Somebody sneezes on you or around you I think you are screwed.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #407
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

That may be true (I've actually not read it), but it's logical to assume if you sat beside an infected on a plane and he/she sneezed on you (because the WHO idiots say masks don't help) or your arm rest, your odds of catching it goes up.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:42 PM   #408
tarcone
Coordinator

0.2% for anyone from 0-39.

Pretty small chance.

past 40 it rises dramatically. Your child has a much better chance of dying in a car crash. So you netter walk your kid everywhere.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:44 PM   #409
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It's really easy to say the wash your hands/don't touch your face mantra but unless you are hyper OCD germaphobe the chances for one slip up is VERY high and that is all it could take. A scratch of the nose, wipe of the eye, many other possible moments.

Last edited by EagleFan : 03-08-2020 at 09:44 PM.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:45 PM   #410
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Is your daughter 70 with respiratory issues? If not, you are being ridiculous.

You misunderstand. I'm not worried about the virus, I'm worried about being put in a 14 day quarantine because I'm near someone with the virus. I'll be fine, but we don't have family close, so if my wife and I were both put in quarantine it would be a real problem.

I'd probably be fine, but I'm not willing to take that chance with my daughter.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:48 PM   #411
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Pretty small chance.

past 40 it rises dramatically. Your child has a much better chance of dying in a car crash. So you netter walk your kid everywhere.

I would think it would be more akin to looking at the car crash data for kids and deciding not to have them wear a seat belt. Which I hope even you agree would be pretty heartless parenting.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:49 PM   #412
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
When has this administration ever done the right thing?

all the grown ups checked out a long time ago. I think it is more likely we start seeing high level CDC, etc...employees resigning over the handling of this.

Sadly this.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:00 PM   #413
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Rep. Gosar and three staff in self-quarantine because of the CPAC case.

Kudos to them and Cruz for doing the right thing.

Very much so. Its really important to have public figures following these guidelines as an example for everyone else when things like this happen. Respect to anyone that does this without fighting it or complaining.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:08 PM   #414
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I would think it would be more akin to looking at the car crash data for kids and deciding not to have them wear a seat belt. Which I hope even you agree would be pretty heartless parenting.

Agreed.

And though we've strayed from the original point by now, it did start not with a fear of dying from the virus, but not wanting to take any unnecessary chance of ending up quarantined in another city with a daughter back home with limited family nearby. That doesn't seem weird to me at all.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:26 PM   #415
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
You misunderstand. I'm not worried about the virus, I'm worried about being put in a 14 day quarantine because I'm near someone with the virus. I'll be fine, but we don't have family close, so if my wife and I were both put in quarantine it would be a real problem.

I'd probably be fine, but I'm not willing to take that chance with my daughter.

My wife and I have the same concern...travelling and being quarantined with limited support for our kids and my father in law.

I've cancelled travel for my team out here, They're all remote and there's no need for them to be in the office besides physically working in the same office, so no need for them to risk being quarantined on a flight just to hang out for free lunches.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #416
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:

Pretty small chance.

Most of the data I looked at show the spike starting after 50 not 39, and with a real sharp rise with each successive 10 year leap after that fwiw.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:44 PM   #417
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Call it what it is. Ageism is to age as Racism is to race. Lots of anti-racists here that don't give 2c for Boomer+.

Is it though? Are we saying now that there are no measurable differences between the physical and cognitive abilities of different ages, and that they cannot be judged as such?

We say that about race, and it's measurable and true, but I think you're off on your analogy.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:49 PM   #418
PilotMan
Head Coach

I just don't feel threatened by this thing. Not directly, not for my parents. Not yet. I travel, am constantly exposed to everything. I may be the poster child for "It can't happen to me", and that's not what I'm saying, but all my direct experience and how often I'm exposed, the odds are still tiny that myself or any of my family are going to be endangered by it. Hell, if I didn't have kids or other responsible at home, I really wouldn't have any issues traveling to China/Japan/Italy.

Like Steam?

Old 03-08-2020, 10:57 PM   #419
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Is it though? Are we saying now that there are no measurable differences between the physical and cognitive abilities of different ages, and that they cannot be judged as such?

We say that about race, and it's measurable and true, but I think you're off on your analogy.

Sure, there is measurable differences between the physical and cognitive tests/abilities of different ages.

Yes, there is measurable differences between the physical and (arguably) cognitive tests/abilities of different races.

Should we be ageist against a population of people because of their age? Should we be racist against a population of people because of their "race"? I think the analogy lines up pretty well.

(Note that I do not consider cognitive abilities to be based primarily on nature. I believe nurture/environment has a role. My guess is anywhere from 40-60 to 60-40).

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-08-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:13 PM   #420
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

My wife and I and a friend of mine have a trip overseas this week to Turkey, Israel, and Greece that's supposed to leave on Wednesday the 11th from San Diego (where there are confirmed cases). Today things are looking more dicey than ever as the Israeli Prime Minister is supposed to announce on Monday whether to institute a full-quarantine of anyone coming into the country.

While I'm honestly ok taking the risk of getting sick for this trip, we certainly don't want to go at the risk of facing a quarantine or even having to figure out a plan B from Turkey if our flight into Israel is canceled.

We can get about a 50-60% refund (even without insurance), and stand to get more back if we wait for official confirmation from the PM (which we're doing until at least Monday).

I think my fear is if Israel makes NO announcement. Do we take that risk? Being from one of the US hotspots for it, we're concerned of being on the next episode of Locked Up Abroad.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:20 AM   #421
Mota
College Benchwarmer

As it began to hit North America, I have been seeing the wave of "just let it spread, I'm healthy so I'll be okay" sentiment going around.

That's insane. I have a diabetic son (16). My mom has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. My co-worker immediately beside me is in her 20's, but has diabetes AND asthma.

So if I don't take the proper precautions, I could kill 3 people. And if someone close to me doesn't take the proper precautions and I get it from them, they are partially responsible as well.

We are all ultimately responsible for our own bodies, but we also live in the world, and our actions affect others.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:10 AM   #422
tarcone
Coordinator

School out today for a private school in St. Louis county, as the Dad of the girl infected broke the quarantine and went to a dad/daughter dance with his other daughter. It was held at a Hotel and they were at a house with people from another private school.

Curious to see if this spreads and how fast.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:20 AM   #423
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Missouri coronavirus: Father of a woman who tested positive violated a self-quarantine to take another daughter to a school function - CNN
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:37 AM   #424
spleen1015
Coordinator

The 3rd reported case in Indiana was an elementary school kid. His school will be closed for the next 2 weeks because of it.

It is cases like this that make me think there are a lot more people infected. How did this kid get it? The rest of his family has been exposed. Who have they exposed? It keeps going from there.

I do think this should be taken somewhat serious, but at the same time I think we are going to over react and make some unnecessary decisions.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:40 AM   #425
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I have heard you quote this 25-30 minute thing a few times in this thread. Not sure I would bank on that. Somebody sneezes on you or around you I think you are screwed.

Yeah I have no idea where the fuck this 25-30 minutes comes from. First I have heard of that and is not how virus spread usually from what I have read and heard.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:52 AM   #426
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
As it began to hit North America, I have been seeing the wave of "just let it spread, I'm healthy so I'll be okay" sentiment going around.

That's insane. I have a diabetic son (16). My mom has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. My co-worker immediately beside me is in her 20's, but has diabetes AND asthma.

So if I don't take the proper precautions, I could kill 3 people. And if someone close to me doesn't take the proper precautions and I get it from them, they are partially responsible as well.

We are all ultimately responsible for our own bodies, but we also live in the world, and our actions affect others.

Yeah that's kind of what I was getting out earlier in the thread also. Even if the death rate for kids is 0% (and for all accounts it seems to be close to that) they all still could pass this to each other at school and infect teachers, custodians, lunch ladies and come home and give it to parents, sibling, caregivers, and grandparents. So sure the risk to 8 year old Susie is pretty minimal but she could indirectly kill 85 year old Rose from a simple sneeze on counselor who goes and visits her mom in nursing home.

And the other thing is blowing off "Well yeah but you have to have pre-existing conditions" like these people have leprosy or something. My dad is 78 with high blood pressure and COPD. Really had not planned on him dying anytime soon but seems like discussion (not on here as much as other places) thinks that is pretty expected and not unusual.

Last edited by panerd : 03-09-2020 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:45 AM   #427
JPhillips
General Manager

Apparently smoking or past smoking is a serious complicating factor.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:36 AM   #428
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Market is down 1884 five minutes in.

oof
Old 03-09-2020, 08:38 AM   #429
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Yeah I have no idea where the fuck this 25-30 minutes comes from. First I have heard of that and is not how virus spread usually from what I have read and heard.

All I can say is that my dad was told directly by a nurse last week while in a routing hospital check-up that if you are in conversation with someone for 15 minutes or less (and assuming that they don't cough, sneeze, etc on you, that you don't shake hands, etc) the chances of it being passed on are virtually nil.

How you choose to take that advice that my dad was given by a medical professional is up to you, but I thought it was worth sharing as it's the only medical advice that I know came directly from the horse's mouth, not third or fourth hand, or through social media.

I accept though that to others, my passing on of this information is third hand and essentially social media, but hey - I thought it be might be helpful.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #430
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I remember hearing the 25-30 minute thing for ebola, but not coronavirus.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #431
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Apparently smoking or past smoking is a serious complicating factor.
The most encouraging thing our friend said last night was along the lines of "we have much lower smoking rates than China, so that *could* make a big difference overall."
Old 03-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #432
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
The most encouraging thing our friend said last night was along the lines of "we have much lower smoking rates than China, so that *could* make a big difference overall."

and factor in the air pollution as well.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #433
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Market is down 1884 five minutes in.

oof

More precise Bear market nos. Get it over with.

Quote:
For stocks, a fall of 20% from the peaks would mark the end of the bull market and meet the widely used definition of a bear market. For the S&P 500 that would require a close at or below 2,708.92, while the Dow would need to end at or below 23,641.14, according to Dow Jones Market Data. The bear-market threshold for the Nasdaq stands at 7,853.74.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-09-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #434
miami_fan
Coordinator

We talked about our hand washing techniques. Remember?

How Do You Wash Your Hands? - Front Office Football Central
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #435
JPhillips
General Manager

This motherfucker is causing a lot of damage.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #436
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My friends in Milan saw where this was heading a week and half ago. They loaded up on groceries and headed to their vacation house in the mountains outside of Milan.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:16 AM   #437
Edward64
Head Coach

So what is going to happen for March Madness? No good options I can think of.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #438
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sweet! An acceptable amount of dead! Sure, we could try and do more, but why?! People will always die.

I think it both shows his incredible lack of empathy, and his inability to formulate an actual political response that sounds professional at all. If Obama had come out and done a press conference about how we all need to exercise good caution and try the best we can to look out for ourselves and our loved ones, but that we need to try and keep some sort of perspective on it, I'm sure trump would have tweeted about how Obama is TRYING to get us all KILLED!!

Like Steam?

Old 03-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #439
JPhillips
General Manager

Nobody has the courage or competence to stand up and take the reigns.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #440
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
{absurd Trump tweet}

This motherfucker is causing a lot of damage.

Love how "That's 4%" has been trending on Twitter all day.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #441
Ben E Lou

Two weeks from tomorrow, I'm scheduled to chaperone my daughters' school's annual 5th grade trip to DC. 3 buses. 5 hours each way. What could possibly go wrong in a confined space with 120 10-year-olds for 10 hours???

I'm saying 20% chance that they go ahead with the trip.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:39 PM   #442
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

I'll book your bets that it happens, at +400.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #443
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I'll book your bets that it happens, at +400.
I don't know what that means, but I'm guessing you think there's less than a 20% chance?

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-09-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #444
PilotMan
Head Coach

It means he's willing to take your 20% estimate and make the odds 4:1, if you want to bet you're actually going.

Like Steam?

Old 03-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #445
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Two weeks from tomorrow, I'm scheduled to chaperone my daughters' school's annual 5th grade trip to DC. 3 buses. 5 hours each way. What could possibly go wrong in a confined space with 120 10-year-olds for 10 hours???

I think you're being very optimistic the way things are trending.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #446
spleen1015
Coordinator

It means if you bet $100 that it will happen and it does, then you win $400.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #447
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I don't know what that means, but I'm guessing you think there's less than a 20% chance?

I never understand bettor-ease either.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #448
spleen1015
Coordinator

When you see those odds...

When you see a + number, it means that's how much you win if you bet $100.

The - number means that's how much you have to bet to win $100.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #449
Edward64
Head Coach

Heeerrrreeeee's Johnny.

Wife just received email that a school district staffer has tested positive. No school tomorrow because they are going to sanitize the schools.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #450
Edward64
Head Coach

Dow is 2,000+ down right now. Only 360 more points to go!

(What a day)