Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2022, 06:24 PM   #51
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Why do I have a feeling that the owners' counteroffer this weekend will be "universal DH, no QO, oh, and none of the core economic issues have moved more than 5% so we're still super far off, but, hey, we made a counter-offer!"

SI

Give this man a kewpie doll.

MLBPA "Unimpressed" By MLB's Latest Offer In CBA Negotiations - MLB Trade Rumors

Despite agreeing on the proposal, the league and the union have remained far apart on the size. The players initially proposed a total of $105MM, with the league countering by offering $10MM. The players later dropped their ask to $100MM, with the owners today increasing their offer to $15MM.

There was also slight modification to MLB’s proposal regarding the Competitive Balance Tax thresholds. Previously, the plan was to have a limit of $214MM for 2022 through 2024, increasing to $216MM in 2025 and $220MM in 2026. Today’s proposal retained that $214MM number for 2022 and 2023, bumped to $216MM in 2024, and then $218MM and $222MM in the final two years of the deal. The players, on the other hand, have been looking for the threshold to be in the $245MM-260MM range for the five years covered by the deal.

The proposed tax rates for surpassing these thresholds hasn’t changed since MLB’s last proposal, although the draft pick compensation was slightly modified. Under the previous proposal, teams surpassing the first threshold (spending less than $234MM on a proposed $214MM tax threshold) would have to surrender a third round draft pick, though that was dropped to no draft penalty for today’s offer. However, teams would still be paying the same 50 percent tax on every dollar spent within that $214-$234MM area.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:39 PM   #52
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't want a kewpie doll, I want a fair labor agreement and baseball but the owners are less interested.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 08:59 PM   #53
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, I don't know that I give a damn anymore. Bring on spring football!
Old 02-14-2022, 05:06 PM   #54
RainMaker
General Manager

Heads up to anyone who gets the MLB package. It auto-renews at the end of February and they will charge you even if there is no season. So might want to cancel that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:10 PM   #55
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

In 2020, I canceled before Covid hit (I had decided to cut back) and they STILL took until June or July to reimburse me for the first month.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:15 PM   #56
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the reminder! Done

It only let me pick "Other" for my reason. I couldn't select "your self-serving lockout"

SI

Old 02-14-2022, 06:16 PM   #57
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
In 2020, I canceled before Covid hit (I had decided to cut back) and they STILL took until June or July to reimburse me for the first month.

Like 10 years ago I remember canceling and they charged me anyway. Was no way to speak to someone for a refund so I had to do a chargeback. Their customer service is non-existent.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:28 AM   #58
miami_fan
Coordinator

So has baseball replaced the bowl of amphetamine with a bowl of oxycodone?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 11:49 AM   #59
Swaggs
Coordinator

Luckily, they are rich and famous, so they probably won't get criminal charges filed against them.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:26 PM   #60
Ksyrup

Today's meeting lasted 15 minutes.

PLAY BALL!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-17-2022, 01:22 PM   #61
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The prices being paid for base 2022 Topps Series 1 Wander Franco rookies are just nuts. Like there’s (probably way more than) 200K+ of them, nobody should be paying 20$+ for it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 02:25 PM   #62
tarcone
Coordinator

I am sad that pitchers and catchers did not get to report.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 03:02 PM   #63
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Luckily, they are rich and famous, so they probably won't get criminal charges filed against them.

Harvey had the most criminal liability (can argue as much as Kay since he provided Skaggs with the drugs). But he was given immunity. Not sure on the others.

Verdict is in.

Old 02-17-2022, 03:21 PM   #64
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Harvey had the most criminal liability (can argue as much as Kay since he provided Skaggs with the drugs). But he was given immunity. Not sure on the others.

Verdict is in.

We all know that not all drug charges are treated equally. It's ridiculous that he gets no criminal charges.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:30 PM   #65
RainMaker
General Manager

Kay faces a minimum of 20 years in jail. Wow.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:48 PM   #66
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Kay faces a minimum of 20 years in jail. Wow.

Good and hopefully others get the message, this shit is a scourge. 6 players I coached in high school have died from this shit over the past 7 years and there are a few more that have battled it.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:34 PM   #67
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

An updated status of the MLB/MLBPA negotiations

Owners (Pre-lockout): "Take This shit offer."
Players: "Um, No."
Owners: Ok you're locked out. we hope this puts some urgency on your decision to take our shit offer.
Players: We want what we say we want, and we'll negotiate to try to get it.
Owners: We'll get back to you
(2 Months Pass)
Owners: Now that you have been locked out, take the shit offer.
Players: No, but we're willing to bend somewhat.
Owners: Well, in the spirit of negotiating, we'll modify our offer a bit
Players: Well that's.. wait, that's the same shit offer.
Owners: No it's not. Not... completely
Players: You drew a bowtie on the shit offer!
Owners: Look, are you going to take the shit offer or not?
Players: No.. but..
Owners: Well, this isn't going to get us (meaning our side) anywhere, bring in the mediators.
Players: No, we said we want to negotiate with you directly, besides, that would just allow you to run out the clock further to try to pressure us,
Owners: Ok (shrugs)
Players: So for our next offer...
Owners: Take the shit offer.
Players: Wait, what about our...?
Owners: Take the Shit offer.
Players: Argh..
Owners: Ok, we will modify our offer.
Players: Finally, some movement. Wait, this is still the shit offer!
Owners: It is not! it's 98.5% similar to our past offer, but..
Players: That just means it's 98.5% shit!
Owners: Take it.
Players: No.
Owners: Then we're going to start cancelling games until you take the shit offer.
Players: Look, we're here to negotiate, but it takes two to negotiate, and you ain't doing that.
Owners: See fans? This is all the players fault!
Old 02-26-2022, 07:38 PM   #68
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, pretty much

SI

Old 02-28-2022, 10:46 AM   #69
miami_fan
Coordinator

Derek Jeter stepping down as Miami Marlins' CEO, shareholder

So is it okay to ask Bruce Sherman questions now?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 03:36 PM   #70
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Derek Jeter stepping down as Miami Marlins' CEO, shareholder

So is it okay to ask Bruce Sherman questions now?

Reading a bit between the lines it sounds like there are no plans to increase the payroll anytime soon and he had some assurances there would be more money available as they rebuilt the system and became more competitive.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 11:44 PM   #71
RainMaker
General Manager

So the big holdup is the owners demanding a 14 team playoff. I can't think of something that would destroy the sport more in my eyes.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:48 AM   #72
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It LOOKS like we may actually have opening day on time.

I'm shocked. Absolutely shocked.
Old 03-01-2022, 02:37 PM   #73
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ugh. Watching the reports of these negotiations is just stupid and awful.

First, they get the batteries in backwards, working on smaller things like draft pick compensation and playoff expansion. Are those big? Yeah, but in a negotiation like this where the CBT has always been the huge stumbling block, you start from there and maybe use some of those other things as sweeteners to bridge the gap. If you're the players, you go "maybe we accept a little less in draft pick compensation in exchange for an extra $5M added to the CBT" or if you're the owners, you're like "sure, we'll give an extra $5M on the CBT in exchange for extra playoff money from a couple extra teams". Instead, they have to use these things just to get started and now they're having to negotiate the hard stuff without much room to play.

For the first time in the entire negotiation, MLB actually moves some on substantial items last night. And today they've basically acted as if "yup, that's basically our final offer" (technically, that's being delivered now) rather than "ok, now we meet in the middle"-ish.

SI

Old 03-01-2022, 02:46 PM   #74
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh geez, MLB. Not even trying

MLB's best-and-final offer:

- No changes to CBT thresholds (220/220/220/224/230)
- A $5M increase on pre-arb bonus pool from $25M to $30M
- An increase of minimums from $675K to $700K, moving up $10K/year
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) March 1, 2022

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-01-2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:07 PM   #75
RainMaker
General Manager

Playoffs back to 12 teams it seems. Still really hate that. Baseball was like the last sport where it felt special to make the playoffs.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:32 PM   #76
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There’s not a ton of difference in those offers, especially when you’re holding the line on service time manipulation and super 2 eligibility. Plus you got bigger playoffs. The owners are willing to miss games over something like 5-7M a season/team at the very most?
Old 03-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #77
RainMaker
General Manager

Jon might know this, but are there clauses in TV contracts over this? Basically, my cable bill went up so that Comcast could add Marquee Network (the Cubs new TV network). But if there are no games on it, there is no need for the network to exist, or for me to pay $5/month for it.

So does Comcast have a clause in the contract where they don't pay the carriage fee if games aren't happening? Because between this and the pandemic game losses, I'm tired of paying for sports networks that don't play sports.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:08 PM   #78
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If this is "oh well, see you guys in May before we talk again" then MLB and MLBPA might as well approve that contract as those TV deals are going to get quite a bit smaller next time out.

SI

Old 03-01-2022, 04:16 PM   #79
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Jon might know this, but are there clauses in TV contracts over this? Basically, my cable bill went up so that Comcast could add Marquee Network (the Cubs new TV network). But if there are no games on it, there is no need for the network to exist, or for me to pay $5/month for it.

So does Comcast have a clause in the contract where they don't pay the carriage fee if games aren't happening? Because between this and the pandemic game losses, I'm tired of paying for sports networks that don't play sports.

I just got a notice from Verizon that I'm getting a credit because they got credits for not having as many games on the RSNs due to COVID, so perhaps. Of course, Comcast may just pocket the money.
Old 03-01-2022, 04:54 PM   #80
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
If this is "oh well, see you guys in May before we talk again" then MLB and MLBPA might as well approve that contract as those TV deals are going to get quite a bit smaller next time out.

SI

That’s the worst part. We’re going to get all kinds of posturing
Old 03-01-2022, 06:35 PM   #81
BYU 14
Coordinator

First two series officially cancelled, fuck the owners
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:40 PM   #82
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

There are a LOT of options for sports eyeballs in 2022. You don't want to suddenly just . . . not be there.

MLB is playing with fire here, IMO.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:42 PM   #83
RainMaker
General Manager

This made me chuckle.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:30 PM   #84
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

It seems odd that the 12/14 team playoff would be that battle the players wont budge on. I am not even really sure why it matters to them. As a fan, I hate the idea, but I am not sure why the players actually care.

I figure the players really only care about money/health and not really so concerned about the history/legacy/tradition of the game.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-01-2022 at 08:33 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 08:41 PM   #85
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

These guys are so obnoxious. They can't keep a business operating because they can't agree on how to divide up billions of dollars.

With that said, no one pays to watch the owners, so the fans really need to side with the players and make it a owner vs players/fans battle. This might get through to the thick headed imbeciles.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:49 PM   #86
tarcone
Coordinator

Rich people do not care what poor people think. Rich people want to exploit poor people. Poor Max Schrezer is losing 232k a day. Oh no, the owner gets to use this as a tax write off. And the rest of us get no baseball and higher prices. Go rich people.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:54 PM   #87
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
It seems odd that the 12/14 team playoff would be that battle the players wont budge on. I am not even really sure why it matters to them. As a fan, I hate the idea, but I am not sure why the players actually care.

I figure the players really only care about money/health and not really so concerned about the history/legacy/tradition of the game.

Because if you need fewer players that move the needle just to make the playoffs and winning in the playoffs is much more of a crapshoot, why bother paying for them? The more teams in the playoffs, the less each marginal win is worth. The players know this and the owners are pretending to not know this.

SI

Old 03-01-2022, 10:06 PM   #88
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

It's still about money. If half the teams make the playoffs, you don't have to spend as much. Being an 80-win team is more or less the same as a 95-win team. So why pay for those additional 15 wins?
Old 03-01-2022, 10:11 PM   #89
tarcone
Coordinator

Push for expansion then. This seems like it is going to happen. Expand to 2 more teams and get more players paid.

Old 03-01-2022, 10:30 PM   #90
molson
General Manager

From an entertainment perspective, with 45 teams in the playoffs or whatever, a shorter season is much better anyway.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:05 PM   #91
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Push for expansion then. This seems like it is going to happen. Expand to 2 more teams and get more players paid.

Expansion is going to happen. The league will be at 32 teams within the decade. However, the league wants to maximize their leverage over cities that want baseball. So Tampa and Oakland have to be resolved first. Either they get new stadiums or move. Then, a couple of years later, expansion will magically appear. But they don't want to decrease their leverage by having 4 teams available at once. It will be 2 then 2.

SI

Old 03-02-2022, 11:18 AM   #92
henry296
College Starter

What would happen if MLB ended the lockout since the CBA expired. Would it revert back to the last CBA or would all of those rules about CBT, Compensation / draft cease to exist?
Old 03-02-2022, 11:24 AM   #93
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
What would happen if MLB ended the lockout since the CBA expired. Would it revert back to the last CBA or would all of those rules about CBT, Compensation / draft cease to exist?

I just saw the answer in an ESPN article. Essentially old CBA with no CBT which is why the owners won't do it.
Old 03-04-2022, 09:17 AM   #94
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Does this lockout affect minor league baseball?
Old 03-04-2022, 10:16 AM   #95
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Does this lockout affect minor league baseball?

Only players on MLB 40-man rosters are 'locked out,' so it does affect minor league baseball in that prospects that are closer to the majors and some well-established depth players that would typically be playing at AAA and some at AA will be unavailable until it is resolved. That is probably 12-15 players (given 26-man rosters and typically a handful of guys or more are on the DL at all times), per franchise, that will not be available and some of those younger guys will certainly miss out on development time as a result.

It is sort of unclear how the rosters will shake out as to whether AA players will just fill in at AAA (and high-A players up to AA) until they return or if teams will sign more marginal, experienced players to fill in, so as to keep players at appropriate levels for development. I'd guess we will see a mixture of both, depending on the different franchises' philosophies.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:04 PM   #96
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, I just bought a 6 game package to our local Independent Minor League team, the Florence Y'alls. We typically go to a couple games a year, and have for years, but this locks us in with a special package, and some extra goodies to look forward to. We'll enjoy some baseball one way or another.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 02:06 PM   #97
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Only players on MLB 40-man rosters are 'locked out,' so it does affect minor league baseball in that prospects that are closer to the majors and some well-established depth players that would typically be playing at AAA and some at AA will be unavailable until it is resolved. That is probably 12-15 players (given 26-man rosters and typically a handful of guys or more are on the DL at all times), per franchise, that will not be available and some of those younger guys will certainly miss out on development time as a result.

It is sort of unclear how the rosters will shake out as to whether AA players will just fill in at AAA (and high-A players up to AA) until they return or if teams will sign more marginal, experienced players to fill in, so as to keep players at appropriate levels for development. I'd guess we will see a mixture of both, depending on the different franchises' philosophies.

Well that's kind of good to hear at least. I don't really pay attention to baseball but I do like to go see a couple Toledo Mud Hen games each year.
Old 03-05-2022, 01:19 PM   #98
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

MLB lockout: Angels, D-Backs, Reds, Tigers owners voted against league's latest CBA proposal, per report - CBSSports.com

Per this article, four owners already voted to put the kibosh on the last pre-cancellation offer from MLB (not the players, the owners side). The article goes on to note that more owners would have voted no if they had budged from 220 million in the CBT.

Combined with the bit later in the story about how the owners were trying to nickle-and-dime even that, and it's just.. fuck them. (They apparently took the WRONG lesson from the minor league food scandal last year. They want the players FOOD STIPEND against the CBT. Because you know, the players dinner should be subject to competitive balance.)

This thing ain't getting solved easily, and probably not without the baseball equivalent of a guillotine for some owners.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:49 PM   #99
tarcone
Coordinator

If there is no cow to get the milk from, what do you fight for?

Old 03-07-2022, 11:48 AM   #100
Ksyrup

My MLB Ballpark app just updated. What did they do - remove all of the ballparks?