Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2020, 02:27 PM   #6101
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So did that flu I caught in February increase my immunity?

If it was the right kind of flu, hopefully it did.

Edit: (Apparently there's 4 corinaviruses that commonly infect humans).

Last edited by molson : 08-11-2020 at 02:32 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #6102
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So did that flu I caught in February increase my immunity?

Unfortunately, Influenza is not a Coronavirus. Different colors (because that's how it works)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-11-2020 at 02:42 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #6103
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Even viruses are racist now.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #6104
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well, actually...

SI

Old 08-13-2020, 08:53 AM   #6105
JPhillips
General Manager

16 days. My wife finally got the results of her COVID test after sixteen days.

Negative, btw.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:15 AM   #6106
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I'm not advocating that Sweden did the right thing, but it does seem they have also reached some kind of infection dropoff if not near endpoint.

I was reading an article about 3 weeks ago talking about Sweden and how no one was mentioning them. The point of the article was things were not good for a bit, but things plateaued and were tailing off and things were not nearly as bad as people were predicting when Sweden first came out with their approach to the virus.

Last edited by Warhammer : 08-13-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #6107
cuervo72
Head Coach

Because Swedes kind of took it upon themselves to social distance and wear masks?
Old 08-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #6108
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Here in the Netherlands, things looked nearly over, but we're rapidly growing to the to be expected second wave. Apparently previous "plan" (expectations with a 'normal' flu wave) was to have that start mid-October and be prepared for a peak in December, but at this pace the second wave will start early September.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:45 PM   #6109
JPhillips
General Manager

Ugh. Just found out my 85 year old mother has been exposed to COVID through her physical therapist. We're waiting on test results and so far there are no symptoms. Say a prayer if that's something you do.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:59 PM   #6110
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I was reading an article about 3 weeks ago talking about Sweden and how no one was mentioning them. The point of the article was things were not good for a bit, but things plateaued and were tailing off and things were not nearly as bad as people were predicting when Sweden first came out with their approach to the virus.

It's dropped off in most of Europe, not just Sweden.

Deaths yesterday:

UK 20
Spain 0
Italy 10
France 17
Germany 8
Sweden 0
Netherlands 2

Even Canada only had 15.

United States 1,386
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:43 PM   #6111
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

What's odd is that I read something weeks ago about Sweden where the architect of their plan was openly questioning whether they did it right.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #6112
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
16 days. My wife finally got the results of her COVID test after sixteen days.

Negative, btw.

Quote:
Ugh. Just found out my 85 year old mother has been exposed to COVID through her physical therapist. We're waiting on test results and so far there are no symptoms. Say a prayer if that's something you do.

Man. Glad the wife is ok, but tough blow to hear about your mom right after.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:18 PM   #6113
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

oof, thinking good thoughts
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:47 AM   #6114
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

"Sweden has about 8200 confirmed cases per million people as of 12 August, compared with 1780 in Norway and 2560 in Denmark. (For the UK it is 4600 and the US 15,400.)

Sweden has had 57 deaths per 100,000, compared with five in Norway and 11 in Denmark. (For the UK it is 70 and the US 50.)"

From: http://www.newscientist.com/article/...success-story/

I wouldn't say that things went well for Sweden.

Last edited by Butter : 08-14-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:02 AM   #6115
Ksyrup

It appears the failure in Sweden of dealing with care homes drove most of their deaths. That appears to be the case here early on, as well.

The reason FL/AZ/CA/TX don't have the number of deaths that NY and other NE states had despite the increased number of cases was knowing how to handle care homes and the knowledge/advances gained in the several months since NY was at its worst.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-14-2020, 07:13 AM   #6116
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Bigoted
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:14 AM   #6117
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Unfortunately, Influenza is not a Coronavirus. Different colors (because that's how it works)
SI

Great pics. Are those "real" colors or did they photoshop to bring out the differences?
Old 08-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #6118
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
"Sweden has about 8200 confirmed cases per million people as of 12 August, compared with 1780 in Norway and 2560 in Denmark. (For the UK it is 4600 and the US 15,400.)

Sweden has had 57 deaths per 100,000, compared with five in Norway and 11 in Denmark. (For the UK it is 70 and the US 50.)"

From: Is Sweden's coronavirus strategy a cautionary tale or a success story? | New Scientist

I wouldn't say that things went well for Sweden.

For a nation that did nothing to prevent the spread, they did well. They came out ahead of the UK and several other EU nations, and are within spitting distance of the US as we muddle through. That is pretty dang good for a nation that did nothing.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:46 AM   #6119
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
For a nation that did nothing to prevent the spread, they did well. They came out ahead of the UK and several other EU nations, and are within spitting distance of the US as we muddle through. That is pretty dang good for a nation that did nothing.

They didn't quite "do nothing". They just weren't as extreme as some other countries. For example they shut down colleges but not grade schools.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:00 AM   #6120
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Great pics. Are those "real" colors or did they photoshop to bring out the differences?

I'm assuming those are enhanced images. Stuff that small always is (just like telescopes too). From what I understand - and real scientists, please correct the stupid parts here - when you look into SEM microscopes like that, it's computer generated - you're looking at the reaction of electrons bombarded off of the objects - you're not actually seeing what something actually /looks/ like. And then they add color because color sells.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-14-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:15 AM   #6121
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

They had almost the same economic dropoff as the countries around them, and had way more deaths. You think that's doing well?
Old 08-14-2020, 11:26 AM   #6122
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

As if 2020 wasn't bad enough already:

Dr Pepper is the latest pandemic shortage

Last edited by NobodyHere : 08-14-2020 at 11:26 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #6123
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I remember when Diet Dr. Pepper was the only drinkable diet soda (e.g yuck TAB). Haven't had one in a while.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #6124
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It's interesting to see people's reaction to the aluminum shortage. Most are fine with it. The small minority that aren't fine with it though, are really not fine with it, if you catch my drift.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:01 PM   #6125
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
It's interesting to see people's reaction to the aluminum shortage. Most are fine with it. The small minority that aren't fine with it though, are really not fine with it, if you catch my drift.

Say what?!

Well, I'm sure Coca-Cola will have their access interrupted last, right? RIGHT?
Old 08-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #6126
Ksyrup

This has been an issue for several months here, for Coke. The odd thing is, at least around here, it only seems to affect Coke Zero products, Fresca, etc. We can barely get Coke Zero cans and we haven't seen Zero Cherry, Orange Vanilla or Cherry Vanilla (or Fresca) for at least 3 months. I don't know why regular Coke is still plentiful if it's just an aluminum shortage.

Haven't run into Dr. Pepper shortages except for diet Cream Soda. Yet.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-14-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:14 PM   #6127
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, just did a Kroger pickup today and no issue with Coke Zero (2 12 packs). Granted, I live inside the perimeter in the Atlanta metro.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:43 PM   #6128
Ksyrup

Starting back in June I have been doing surveys of all Lexington-area stores - Kroger, Meijer, WalMart and Target. Nothing. Plain Coke Zero appears to be rationed - if I get to our local Kroger at the right time, they'll have maybe 8-10 12 packs out, and when those are gone it's a few days before another stash shows up. The other flavors have been MIA for months. And Fresca has disappeared. Most shelves at all of those stores just have regular Coke/Pepsi taking up all of the space where the other flavors should be.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-14-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #6129
cuervo72
Head Coach

Can't Mitch just get on the phone with Rusal to get things on track?
Old 08-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #6130
Ksyrup

I don't know. Is he or Trump a Coke drinker? I would assume Trump only drinks the regular stuff, so that would explain why it's always in stock, I guess. I'm sure wearing a mask and drinking Coke Zero makes me less manly.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #6131
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't know. Is he or Trump a Coke drinker? I would assume Trump only drinks the regular stuff, so that would explain why it's always in stock, I guess. I'm sure wearing a mask and drinking Coke Zero makes me less manly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-that-healthy/

Quote:
Those keeping tabs on President Trump's diet know that Wendy's and McDonald's are staples. While campaigning, Trump inhaled Filets-o-Fish and Big Macs and snacked on Oreos.

He'd then wash it all down with a Diet Coke.

Just how much diet soda the president consumes, though, was revealed Saturday by the New York Times, which reported that Trump has a button to summon household staff for one of the 12 Diet Cokes he drinks each day.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 08-14-2020 at 02:55 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #6132
Ksyrup

Pansy
Old 08-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #6133
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

confirmed addict here (DDP) and it's been harder to come by of late...imma be okay, imma be okay... tryna get by on my Xevia but come on
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #6134
Radii
Head Coach

I picked a good time for my next attempt to get back off sodas I guess(a month so far, was off of them for ~7 years then had 1 during my last move for the sugar & caffeine boost and I've been fucked ever since).
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:47 PM   #6135
PilotMan
Head Coach

I am still on a 1-2 Diet Mt Dew per day kick at home. Once I go back to work it'll be Diet Coke in the same quantities. But I'll never get off the stuff. It's my only source of caffeine.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:36 PM   #6136
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I noticed months ago that the DG near us had almost no soda variety. I have only seen Mt Dew Zero like once in the past several months at wal mart. You can’t find regular diet dew too often either.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:12 AM   #6137
kingfc22
Head Coach

Saliva-based coronavirus test funded by NBA, NBPA gets emergency authorization from FDA

These guys should really just stick to sports...
Old 08-15-2020, 08:10 PM   #6138
Edward64
Head Coach

Been about 3 weeks since I've been to Kroger. Tonight they had a sign that said masks were required. The intercom repeated that periodically.

Right thing to do. So simple for a grocery store. What took them so long.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:21 PM   #6139
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Been about 3 weeks since I've been to Kroger. Tonight they had a sign that said masks were required. The intercom repeated that periodically.

Right thing to do. So simple for a grocery store. What took them so long.

They say it here too, but they don't enforce it at all.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:28 AM   #6140
Edward64
Head Coach

Our school district. The video is actually not half-bad. Kudos to them for doing something fun and yet a public service.

Forsyth County School turns ‘Ice, Ice Baby’ into COVID-19 song
Quote:
Not a single Lakeside Middle School student was alive when Vanilla Ice shot to stardom with his hit “Ice, Ice Baby” back in 1990. But that doesn’t mean they don’t appreciate the parody song and video the school’s staff rolled together for students’ return to the classroom.

With math teacher Jeremy Combs handling the lyrics, computer science teacher Matt Pike behind the video and some dance moves from nearly the entire staff, students returned to Lakeside for the first time Thursday with “Mask, Mask Baby” greeting them.

“We wanted to positively promote the expectation that our students and staff wear masks if they are able to do so, so we brainstormed ideas that could be catchy and involve our staff,” Forsyth County Schools Director of Communications Jennifer Caracciolo said. “One of our math teachers came up with this idea and wrote the lyrics. The song really worked because it is catchy and appeals to not only our kids but adults, too.”
Old 08-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #6141
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Now we have this to worry about:

Pepperoni shortage 2020: The new COVID-19 shortage item is meaty
Old 08-17-2020, 08:25 AM   #6142
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Happy First Day Of School, North Carolina!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSD, via email, a few minutes ago
Good morning. This is Guilford County Schools calling with an important message. We have just learned that access to the Canvas learning platform is unavailable across the state right now. We apologize for the inconvenience. We will let you know when the state has the system back up and running. Thank you for your patience.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #6143
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Canvas is down in DeKalb County, GA. Maybe it's a nation wide outage, which, good job, Canvas

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #6144
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Canvas is down in DeKalb County, GA. Maybe it's a nation wide outage, which, good job, Canvas

In fairness, how could they anticipate heavy usage this month?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #6145
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The first couple weeks of virtual for us in March we had similar issues with whatever the platform was. Wold work fine until 11:30 then all the west coast schools came online and it would crash every day.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:31 AM   #6146
JPhillips
General Manager

I wanted to use Big Blue Button last Spring as it is integrated into our learning management system, but in all the times I tried, I could never access it without crashing. So now I know how to use Zoom.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #6147
miked
College Starter

Our Dekalb day 1 was pretty much a disaster. My son is in 2nd grade with one of the better teachers in the school, but is old and had no idea how to work anything. She was logged in 3x, couldn't share her screen, and told the kids about halfway through that this was her worst nightmare.

My daughter in 6th grade say 2 teachers argued for half their session on the volume. Happy times.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #6148
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Thank for being a beta tester. Our kids start next week on Canvas.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #6149
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Thank for being a beta tester. Our kids start next week on Canvas.

I thank them as well though next week is mostly about COVID-19 safety/work the bugs out for us.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 08-17-2020 at 12:22 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #6150
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

UNC-Chapel Hill pivots to remote teaching after coronavirus spreads among students during first week of class
By Nick Anderson

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...1c4_story.html