Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #151
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

I have used the 305 for the last two years and loves it. Very accurate GPS build inn to the clock and a lot of different ways to set it up to show useful information during the run.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #152
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Well not sure how to edit in tapatalk, so here you go:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #153
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so is there a way on Strava to compare your own runs / rides? if there's an easy way to do that I'm not easily seeing it
Old 05-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #154
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but if you click the training link on top, then my activities, it will list all your activities in one location. You can also filter by activity type.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 05-10-2013 at 09:26 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #155
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

At some point, probably within the next two months, I'm going to want a greater understanding of more of the "science" around running. Right now, I'm running as frequently as I can (typically 5-6 days a week) because it's the most time-efficient way for me to burn calories that I see myself doing on a regular basis. (I hate hate hate hate the elliptical, fwiw.) I take Sundays completely off from any exercise, and the rest of the week, I've basically learned that I can do this...

IF I FEEL VERY RESTED: 35-50 minutes, avg heart rate 155-160
IF I FEEL SOMEWHAT RESTED: 35-60 minutes, avg. heart rate 150-155
IF I FEEL SOMEWHAT TIRED: 35-60 minutes, avg heart rate 140-150
IF I FEEL VERY TIRED: Don't run.
IF I FEEL OK BUT MY KNEES FEEL A LITTLE BEATEN UP: Go to gym, walk on inclined treadmill for 45-75 minutes. Heart rate 130-140

I see you guys talking about "tempo runs" and "recovery runs" and I don't know wtf any of that is. The above is working for me right now, but when I've lost another 15-20 pounds, I'm probably going to want to transition to a better plan for running, and probably less overall time spent doing it.

As far as specifics, I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to run more than 6-8 miles in one session. Long-term, I see myself running 3-4 hours per week and lifting 3-4 hours per week. I have a good grasp of a lifting plan, but none whatsoever of running.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:32 AM   #156
Icy
Pro Starter

Ben, in page 3 i posted a link to a very good website that explains everything about zones, organizing your training etc, it helped me a lot to plan my runs.

Your routine so far looks good on paper, maybe without knowing it, you are following the zone training principles, the only thing that would worry me is that doing it non planned, and just based on your feelings, could end overtraining you, but it all depends on how well do you know your body and understand those feelings.

As for your questions related to your training:
IF I FEEL SOMEWHAT TIRED: 35-60 minutes, avg heart rate 140-150 = Recovery run

IF I FEEL VERY RESTED: 35-50 minutes, avg heart rate 155-160 = tempo runs

Good Heart rate calculator that explains what you train in each "zone"
Heart rate zones | Running for Fitness

Graphic of zones:

The only thing i miss in your training, once you want to go further, is interval training and/or fartlek, to improve your speed and resistance to anaerobic efforts. Both consist mainly on doing some minutes/distance of big effort followed by some minutes/distance of slow run to recover, then fast run again etc for a few times , it's a way of training in different zones in a single session (that was a very basic explanation).

Anyway i'm not an expert, in fact for what i see in your strava times and distances, you are in better shape than me, but i have read a lot the theory behind running, in fact it's what i do mainly now in my rest days (today) as i'm a bit obsessed with running now

Last edited by Icy : 05-11-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #157
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ben,

I've read a ton on what Jack Daniels has put out about his beliefs for training runners. I think he has some great stuff on it that has helped me a ton as well as many others. Alot of it is similar to what Icy listed, but here is another page that you can read about the different types of training from Wikipedia:

Jack Daniels (coach) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The difference is that Daniels plan does not necessarily do it based on Heart rate training, but instead bases your run speeds on your VDOT score.

For a more in depth break down of what Daniels believes, one of the books that was recommended to me by several of my marathon friends is:

Daniels' Running Formula, Second Edition: Jack Daniels: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

The basic science behind running based on VDOT, is that you take your most recent performance in a specific "race" where you went as hard as you can to determine what your VDOT score should be.

I have used this VDOT calculator myself:

Runbayou: VDOT Calculator

Once you have your VDOT score, it gives you what the recommended paces should be for your Easy runs, Tempo Runs, Interval Runs.

If you don't want to mess with VDOT scores, a similar calculator can be found at runners world:

Training Paces | Runner's World & Running Times

Once you have those measured paces, what Daniels believes is that is your optimal running speed for maximum benefit for those specific workouts.

You -can- run faster if you want, but the return won't be as great and you significantly increase your chance for injury. You -can- run slower, but your benefits won't be as optimal. It is recommended to run as close to those as you can.

The general rule of thumb as I have read is for beginner runners (which I include myself in that category), until you get over 25-30 miles per week routinely, your best benefit is by simply running ALL easy pace runs.

For me that means running maximum number of miles at about a 11:30 mile per minute pace. The idea is by running easy pace, you tire yourself out less so you can run more miles in a week. The biggest benefits are seen for beginner runners by simply being on their feet more and running more miles.

I do like to mix in at least one faster run a week though, and I usually alternate it with either a tempo run or an interval run one day a week personally. There are benefits to be seen by doing those runs as they train a different system in your body than the easy runs do. Just for beginners that is less beneficial than just running more.

What my week right now looks like generally is I try to do this:

Mondays: Cross training for one hour. I don't do any running this day, maybe walk for whatever purpose, but usually bike or if I have to elliptical but I hate the elliptical.

Tuesday: Main long run day: (Easy pace) Right now at about 9 miles per week. They say you don't want your longest run to be more than 34% of your total weekly mileage or you increase your risk of injury.

Wednesday: Easy recovery run for me. (Easy pace) generally 4ish miles

Thursday: Secondary long run day. (Easy pace) I'm generally at about 6-6.5 miles or so on this one.

Friday: Day off. No exercise or planned exercise

Saturday: Fast day. Every other week I alternate. One week a tempo run at tempo pace for x amount of time (I've been increasing it every 2 weeks by 5 minutes, currently at 40 minutes) The other weeks I do interval training at interval pace. 1/4 mile at interval pace and then 1/8 mile recovery or easy pace. I repeat that 10 times. (Started at 8 but increased it by 1 each time).

Sunday: recovery/easy run - generally 3.5 - 4.5 miles.

So pretty much almost everything I do is easy runs except one day a week.

Edit to add: Here are some decent beginner training plans for everything from beginning walking up to marathon training.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

There are many other training plans out there that are more advanced, but these seem pretty solid at both explaining things and setting stuff up for first timers.

Last edited by Alan T : 05-11-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #158
Icy
Pro Starter

I also bought Daniel's book for kindle in amazon, it was like 9 dollars and its very informative as Alan said.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #159
finketr
College Prospect

2.02 miles in 37 minutes this morning. Granted it was a walk.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #160
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Great job Tim!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've skimmed the thread a bit since it's been "running" (pun intended) but haven't really dug in since this isn't my thing.

Still, I've got a question about these various apps, recommended paces, etc.

How much of this stuff is really about running to improve your running (times, distance, etc) as opposed to, say, running from an improving your overall fitness and/or general stamina standpoint?

(point being, my kid - who truly hates running btw - needs to work on his conditioning for next tennis season over the summer. Knowing him, something like these apps/having precise targets/etc might have some appeal, so I'm trying to figure out how applicable it would actually be)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-12-2013 at 09:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #162
Icy
Pro Starter

Jon, it goes hand to hand, and i don't think any of us in this thread have as main goal to improve our times or racing in events "per se", but it is a way to measure our improvements and to find more motivation.

For example 2 months ago i set myself a goal of running 10k before May 15th (must do it today or tomorrow), not for any other reason than as self motivation, but my real goal is to lose 15 pounds and improve my overall fitness, i don't plan on doing any competitive racing by now, and if i ever do will be also to measure myself and to keep the motivation high.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #163
Ben E Lou

Did Runkeeper just now (as in a few minutes ago) change their entire interface? I think it happened while I was looking over my lunchtime run.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #164
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Did Runkeeper just now (as in a few minutes ago) change their entire interface? I think it happened while I was looking over my lunchtime run.

Looks like it happened this morning within the past 3 hours.

Mapmyrun made a similar interface change last week, and this change seems to be almost identical to theirs. I don't know if it was on purpose or coincidental.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #165
Icy
Pro Starter

Made my goal today, running 10k for first time in the past 20 years.

I made it purely on heart, because my legs and brain told me to stop since KM4.

Everything went bad, first i was nervous to try it, my goal was to run 10k before the 15th, and the next two days are going to be full of meetings at work, so it had to be today.

I went out too early for this time of the year, at 5:30pm is too hot already, but i saw it was cloudy and thought it wouldn't be that hot. Wrong, it was too humid. On K2 it started to rain a lot, typical storm, and while the water helped with the heat, made my feet feel heavier.

On K4, the storm ended, the sun appeared again, and damn it was burning a lot. Then my brain started to tell me to stop, to try it another day, that it was not worth it, i would get injured, that i would get dehydrated, etc.

It was weird, i have been running over 4k for a few weeks already, even doubling the distance and doing it way faster, so i don't know what happened, if it was the heat, the rain, or just thinking about how much lasted to end my goal.

But i told my brain to shut up! turned the music louder and slowed a bit the pace, I would't make it under 70 minutes, but i was determined to at least run the 10k.

The last 2k were easier, i started to run a bit faster, and felt good again, at that point i knew i could make it, and i did!

Based on my 8k time, i thought i could make the 10k under 7 min per k, but ended being more, 7.12 min per k, mainly because the slow down during the middle of the run when my brain felt apart.

So i made, it, now i need to set new goals for the next months, probably will be to lower the 10k time, in 6 months to try to run it under 60 min. Then also maybe a half marathon for the next year. Another goal i set a week ago is to lose 15 to 20 pounds, as i'm too heavy for running and my knees are suffering, i have lost 2 pounds already in the first week.

Damn this is addicting!

Last edited by Icy : 05-13-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #166
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Nice job Icy

My first try at 10k was something like 1:15 or so when i finally got to it, so nothing wrong with your time. As you run more miles a week, running a 10k gets easier for you. Great job!

ps - I love running in the rain so far when it is warm out. I don't notice heavy feet as long as I don't run through puddles.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #167
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Great job!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #168
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Dola.

I take comfort in knowing I'm halfway (distance-wise, not training-wise) in completing 10K.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #169
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

In!

Not sure if I show up as Dodgerchick or Lorena. Forgive me if I multi-post, I've no idea how to use any of these apps :-/
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #170
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

welcome aboard!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #171
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Northwood_DK, I have a question.. on your runs over 1:30, such as your 13 mile runs, do you bring any hydration or nutrients for your run?

I haven't been thus far because it has not been too hot yet, and I haven't felt the need for it, but I am trying to figure out when I should start. Most things that I read seem to indicate it is a good idea to start thinking about it if the run is going to start going considerably over 1 hour, but it is very individualized depending on the person.

My run today is scheduled to likely be close to 2 hours (my long run for the week), and I'm puzzling if I should try bringing my hydration belt with me. I've actually never used it before, and thinking of giving it a try even if I don't end up using or needing it.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #172
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

I also have a running belt but don’t like using it. When I do the 21 km I normally have a bottle from the belt in each hand instead. Then I don’t have to think about what to do with my fingers while running.

I have also read one hour but by now I know my body normally works fine without hydration and nutrients as long as I stay under two hours.

The few times I have gone over 21 km I have also brought a banana. In my experience the trick is to start eating/drinking early. The body is not like a car you can refill when close to empty.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #173
DanGarion
Coordinator

Pushed myself a bit to far today with 5.16 miles, got a small blister on the inside part of the ball of my foot. But I did go a personal record distance. I'm going to reduce my distance and start working on speed and consistency now.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #174
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I don't run over an hour very often, but the times I have I have not bothered to bring water or any other nutrients. Even during half-marathon races I almost always avoid the water stations, aside from the sponges (I love the sponges). I generally can't bear the thought of slowing/stopping, and the couple times I have tried to drink water while running resulted in lots of choking. The one time I tried a Gatorade it made me feel more thirsty almost instantly. And good gravy I can't imagine choking down one of those gel pack things.

I'm sure lots of scientists or super-runners would laugh at the folly of the above, but it has worked well for me to this point and I don't feel any impetus to change things up.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #175
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Thanks Northwood_DK and Fidatelo. I did end up bringing my Nathan belt with me on my run to try it out and filled each bottle with gatorade. I decided to go with the plan of taking a few sips every 20 minutes. (My run I estimated would be pretty close to 2 hours on the nose)

For the most part it worked fine. The belt didn't bother me any, I had it turned around backwards so didn't even notice it there at all to be honest. I don't know if I noticed any help from the drinking, but it probably is one of those things that I would notice not having been drinking once I got about 90 minutes in I guess.

I did get a good amount of air bubbles in when I drank though but a few burps or so after each drink seemed to solve that problem.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #176
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Pushed myself a bit to far today with 5.16 miles, got a small blister on the inside part of the ball of my foot. But I did go a personal record distance. I'm going to reduce my distance and start working on speed and consistency now.

Just some useful things that I learned on the way... when starting out, the best two ways to improve your speed and consistency are: 1) Losing Weight and 2) Running more per week.

In almost every advanced running training that I have read, it recommends that when starting out, just focus on slowly increasing your miles per week ran by roughly 2 or so per week until you get it above 20 miles per week. By doing just that, you'll get the biggest boost in your speed and fitness that you'll ever get in running. (I personally went from 43-45 minute 5ks to 28 minute 5ks by doing that).

The saying that I see often is: "To run faster, you have to run slower and more often"... ---- don't worry about the speed right now, just find an easy pace that you can run at without losing your breath (regardless of how slow it is) and just hit the miles per week that you are aiming for. As your fitness improves, that "conversational pace" will get faster on its own.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #177
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
In almost every advanced running training that I have read, it recommends that when starting out, just focus on slowly increasing your miles per week ran by roughly 2 or so per week until you get it above 20 miles per week. By doing just that, you'll get the biggest boost in your speed and fitness that you'll ever get in running. (I personally went from 43-45 minute 5ks to 28 minute 5ks by doing that).
I never actively took this approach, but based on my stats, my distances increased each week without my realizing. This time, I'm putting together a spreadsheet and giving this more thought.

So over the past two weeks I had been running 3.3-3.4 miles per session - with three sessions per week that's roughly 10 miles. So this week if I want to increase my mileage by 2, I should plan to run about 4 miles in each of my next three sessions?

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 05-14-2013 at 01:38 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #178
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Just some useful things that I learned on the way... when starting out, the best two ways to improve your speed and consistency are: 1) Losing Weight and 2) Running more per week.

The saying that I see often is: "To run faster, you have to run slower and more often"... ---- don't worry about the speed right now, just find an easy pace that you can run at without losing your breath (regardless of how slow it is) and just hit the miles per week that you are aiming for. As your fitness improves, that "conversational pace" will get faster on its own.

Oh yeah, I know not to worry about speed. Today was just to prove to myself that I can do 5 miles, I woke up with that notion in my mind, and I wanted to do it. I doubt I will see myself doing 5 miles anytime soon, especially with my desire to just work on just getting the time in. It will be very interesting to see how I squeeze any of this in when I find a new job and the baby is born, but for now I just do what I can.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #179
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Losing weight is huge. I've noticed that every 5 pounds makes a noticeable difference in how my legs feel when I run, especially in my knees. Lower weight means less soreness means faster recovery means more runs means lower weight. Best cycle ever!

Saying that I put on 5 pounds over the winter (Longest. Winter. Evar.) and it's been bothering me for 2-3 months now. Tighter calves than my old weight and some minor foot issues after a couple runs. Definitely want to take those pounds off as much for easier running as for looser pants
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 05-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #180
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Okay, I'll have to rethink my strategy here. Losing weight is priority over longer runs.

My run tonight resulted in my left knee going out on me near the end of my 4 miles. I couldn't put any impact on it any longer. Luckily I was able to walk the rest of the way home. But it was very discouraging.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #181
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Gah! I'm sitting here with my bum knee, unable to run the remaining 1.2 km to reach the 40K badge!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #182
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Gah! I'm sitting here with my bum knee, unable to run the remaining 1.2 km to reach the 40K badge!

I would say walk it, but with runner's knee I wouldn't put any extra work on it for a bit till it gets better. (Obviously I am no doctor though). You still have several weeks and if you get feeling better, you can get it before the end of the month!

If not, just remember you're working on life-long health and fitness improvement which is more important than a may contest though. Always best to be conservative with your workout to prevent injury chance.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #183
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Yeah, I'm not going to put any more work on the knee other than what's necessary to get through the day. And I know I have the rest of the month to get to 40K which, like you said, is not as important as the long-term wellness I'll be enjoying.

But knowing I would normally have been out there today is frustrating for someone who very recently just discovered his love for running.

Enough of my rant. Kudos to all!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #184
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Hey guys, how are you getting these nifty badges?
Old 05-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #185
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Hey guys, how are you getting these nifty badges?

Click on the challenges tab and you can join the may massive challenge. Then every 40k you run/walk the month you can get a badge. (or roughly 25 miles)

Old 05-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #186
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Ye-yeah, thanks!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #187
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Late dola,

Hey ABC, I'm also doing th Zombie C25K! It's a little different than the other program I used.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #188
DanGarion
Coordinator

I wasn't able to run today since my wife was suffering through pre labor contractions because she hadn't been drinking enough water. We didn't get much sleep all night and she was on a monitor all morning. I'll hopefully be back out running tomorrow. All is clear for now!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #189
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Just eked out the 40k badge with my run home today. It'll be a long shot after the slow start to the month, but hopefully a concerted effort over the second half of the month can get me close to the 120k badge. I get the feeling this challenge is going to have me running 20k on the final day just to get some goofy badge
Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #190
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
Late dola,

Hey ABC, I'm also doing th Zombie C25K! It's a little different than the other program I used.

Nice! Aside from the storyline aspect of the app, I like the Zombies Run version of the c25k trainer over the more traditional c25k plan. If you're interested in the upcoming workouts (the app does not let you look ahead at future workouts), I created a spreadsheet of all of the workouts for the entire 8 week plan. Just look for my running thread in the Dynasty forums and check post #55. There's a link to my sheet. I'd post it here, but I'm on my phone right now.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #191
Ben E Lou

So we're about to enter the "hot and humid every day" stage of the year, which typically will last until November-ish. It has been surprisingly cool this spring up until now, so I guess I haven't had a chance to acclimate. Today's upper-80s weather slowed me down and shortened the run. Any tips for dealing with the heat besides "stay hydrated?" (I'd already had 3/4 gallon of water today before I went out for the run.) Also, I've never been able to stay on a treadmill for more than 30ish minutes without getting bored to tears. I suspect that because of the heat combined with needing to help with the kids and work demands, there will be days in the next 6ish months where getting on the treadmill at lunchtime is the only viable option. Have any of y'all found ways to relieve the boredom when doing treadmill runs?
Old 05-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #192
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Old 05-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #193
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
So we're about to enter the "hot and humid every day" stage of the year, which typically will last until November-ish. It has been surprisingly cool this spring up until now, so I guess I haven't had a chance to acclimate. Today's upper-80s weather slowed me down and shortened the run. Any tips for dealing with the heat besides "stay hydrated?" (I'd already had 3/4 gallon of water today before I went out for the run.) Also, I've never been able to stay on a treadmill for more than 30ish minutes without getting bored to tears. I suspect that because of the heat combined with needing to help with the kids and work demands, there will be days in the next 6ish months where getting on the treadmill at lunchtime is the only viable option. Have any of y'all found ways to relieve the boredom when doing treadmill runs?

My quick advice is to change the time of your run (if you can do that) - ie, I really like running at 7/8 PM or so, but I'm a single dude next to a park who lives in the Bay Area. When its 50 degrees in the "winter", I try and run at 6 or so when there is a little more light available, even if sometimes feels colder. I don't know if you have that option of essentially running at dusk, but it can help.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #194
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

It will take 2-3 weeks for your body to get used to running in warm weather. As mentioned above, if you can run in early mornings or late evenings, it might be more tolerable then. If you are forced to run in the heat and humidity, just remember it makes it harder for your body to cool off and requires more effort for the same work. So as you found, you have to take it a bit slower for the same amount of effort.

Let me try to dig through my email to find the tips for running in the heat that the Boston athletic association sent prior to the marathon. It had some good pointers in it. If I can find it, I will copy and paste it in here.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #195
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Dola.. Oh about the treadmills.. I have one and hate it. I have tried watching tv while using it, watching movies, playing Xbox or wii, listening to music, reading a book.. Doing nothing else while using it, etc....

I just hate it, and on top of the boredom, I feel that it is overly tough to do the same workouts because my stride somehow is different on them. I got to the point where I decided to just run in the weather, whatever it was rather than the treadmill. I ran outside during a nor'easter, ran the day hurricane sandy came in, love running in the rain, and now dealing with summer heat. I still prefer it over the treadmill.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #196
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ok found the email from the BAA:

Learn how to prepare for the potential weather conditions

Know your limits.
Heat and humidity increase the physical challenge of running, and health problems can occur when you push beyond what your body can handle. Do not aim for a personal best on a warm, sticky day, particularly if you are not used to such conditions. While running, the body temperature is regulated by the process of sweat evaporating off of the skin. If the humidity in the air is so high that it prevents the process of evaporation of sweat from the skin, you can quickly overheat and literally cook your insides from an elevated body temperature. Check the weather forecast to determine heat and humidity levels. Understand the faster you run, the higher your body core temperature rises.

Acclimate.
It takes 10 days to two weeks for the body to acclimate to keeping cool at higher temperatures. Give your body time to adjust.

Know the signs of heat problems.
If you feel faint, dizzy, disoriented, or your skin is clammy and abnormally hot or cold, slow down or stop running. If symptoms continue, sit or lie down in the shade and seek medical help. Heatstroke occurs when the body fails to regulate its own temperature, and the body temperature continues to rise. Symptoms of heatstroke include mental changes (such as confusion, delirium, or unconsciousness) and skin that is red, hot, and dry, even under the armpits. Heatstroke is a life-threatening medical emergency, requiring emergency medical treatment.

Preexisting Medical Concerns.
If you have heart or respiratory problems or you are on any medications, consult your doctor about running in the heat. If you are feeling ill on race day and experiencing medical problems, you are strongly urged to withdraw from the race.
In some cases it may be in your best interests to run another day. If you have a history of heatstroke/illness, run with extreme caution - your risk of experiencing another bout of heat illness increases.

Drink enough.
Drink throughout the day, so that your urine remains plentiful and pale yellow. Even mild dehydration (scant, dark-yellow urine) will make you feel sluggish and tire early during exercise, and can increase the risk of heat-related problems during exercise. In the heat, sports drinks are even better than water because the sugar and salt they contain form an "active pump" that transports fluid to cells more quickly than water alone. Before workouts or races lasting longer than one hour in the heat, drink 16 ounces of fluid several hours in advance, another 16 ounces in the hour before, and more just before the start if your urine isn't pale.

Don't drink too much.
Overhydrating before and during exercise can cause a dangerous condition known as hyponatremia (water intoxication). This drop in the body's sodium levels can cause nausea, fatigue, vomiting, weakness, and in the most severe cases, seizures, coma, and death. To avoid hyponatremia, do not overdrink, include pretzels or a salted bagel in your pre-run meal, and use a sports drink that contains sodium. During exercise, drink no more than a cup of fluid every 15 to 20 minutes.

Eat a good pre-race meal a few hours before the run.
Try a bagel with peanut butter and a banana—the protein and carbs will fuel your effort and aid in recovery.

Consume a small amount of salt. Eat salted foods like a salt bagel, salted pretzels, or salted nuts. If you’re planning to race, eat salted foods all week prior to the event. On race day, consume one fast-food salt packet at the start line. Have another salt packet halfway through the race.

Protect yourself from the sun. When you are going to be exposed to the intense summer rays of the sun, apply at least 15 SPF sunscreen and wear protective eyewear that filters out UVA and UVB rays. Consider wearing a visor that will shade your eyes and skin but will allow heat to transfer off the top of your head.

Check your meds.
Do not consume products like cold medicines, ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or anti-diarrhea medicines with dehydrating agents in them. They may increase your risk for heat illness. Caffeine products are only OK in doses you are used to taking on training day. Do not start taking a caffeine product on race day.

Wear light colored synthetic fabrics.
Unlike cotton, synthetics wick moisture from your skin so cooling evaporation can occur. Synthetics also decrease chafing and don't cling and cause a chill. Look for loose-fitting garments with mesh inserts under the arms, on the sides of the torso, down the arms, and on the outer thighs. Acrylic socks keep feet dry and cool.

Age factors.
Young children and teenagers are more susceptible to heat induced injury. Studies have shown that children are at a disadvantage of heating up easily due to their smaller body sizes.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #197
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
My quick advice is to change the time of your run (if you can do that) - ie, I really like running at 7/8 PM or so, but I'm a single dude next to a park who lives in the Bay Area. When its 50 degrees in the "winter", I try and run at 6 or so when there is a little more light available, even if sometimes feels colder. I don't know if you have that option of essentially running at dusk, but it can help.
Running at dusk might help in the Bay Area, but it's not very helpful when it's hot and humid here. It's fine this time of year (heat index is only 78 right now at 8:45pm.) Today I would have run around 7:30pm but we had dinner plans with out of town guests. In another month-ish, running in the evening won't be all that much help. On many nights from June to September, you can walk outside at 10pm and start sweating pretty much immediately, and it's so humid that it doesn't dry. Sure, I can avoid the direct sunlight of the day by running in the evening, but in truth, early morning is the only option to avoid the *heat* once it really gets going, and my wife needs me on kid duty then most days. There will be some days when I can get a 5am run in, but that'll be the exception, not the norm. No, my main options are the treadmill or dealing with the heat as best as I can. I'm used to drinking a good bit of water, so I'm sure that's helpful. In the final analysis, I suspect that the answer for me is to follow the tips Alan posted and just lower my expectations with regard to speed a bit from late Spring to mid Fall. Being a numbers-oriented guy, that's not the answer I *want* to hear, but it's probably the correct one.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #198
Subby
lolzcat

I want to claw my eyes out right now. 70 degrees here and I can't do anything but suck meds and watch Breaking Bad. GAHHH.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #199
Icy
Pro Starter

First injury, typical one for overweight newbies overtraining, pain in my lower back for 3 days already, so i have not trained for the last 3 days, hope tomorrow will feel better.

I need to start to do abs and lower back exercises in my non running days.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #200
AnalBumCover
College Starter

May is just not a good month, is it?