Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #151
Edward64
Head Coach

Still resisting buying this for $40 on Steam and have Stellaris to keep me busy but reviews have been pretty good ...
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:46 PM   #152
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I loved Xcom 2. I played through it twice and then played a few different games of "Long War 2". I have over 370 hours logged on it.

So, I'm a bit burned out at the moment, but I know I will buy the DLC and I will really enjoy it when I do. Could be in a month or two, could be tomorrow!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:48 AM   #153
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I loved Xcom 2. I played through it twice and then played a few different games of "Long War 2". I have over 370 hours logged on it.

So, I'm a bit burned out at the moment, but I know I will buy the DLC and I will really enjoy it when I do. Could be in a month or two, could be tomorrow!

right there with you. I will definitely get this as I LOVE this series. But the frustrations of Long War 2 have me on a little hiatus right now. Works out well for me
Old 08-30-2017, 07:45 AM   #154
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
right there with you. I will definitely get this as I LOVE this series. But the frustrations of Long War 2 have me on a little hiatus right now. Works out well for me

I cashed in on the Long War fairly quickly, it was almost too much at times. Played about 3 hours of WOTC yesterday, it seriously is like a whole new game and is a very good balance of hard/fun to me. Punishes you for mistakes, but not brutal for the sake of being brutal and you have to think.

Playing on Ironman and one of the new Advent classes
Spoiler
can potentially explode when hit. I imported all my soldiers from XCom 2 and had one of my "favorites" from that play through on one of the early missions. Not even thinking, I brought him out of cover to flank the last Advent op and scored a crit for the kill. Unfortunately I was too close and the resulting explosion blew up a nearby fuel tank, which in turn killed me, LOL.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #155
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Your spoiler is showing
Old 08-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #156
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Hot damn. Been playing for around 8 hours total. It's almost a completely different game.

With all the new stuff layered on top of the old, I cant help but feel some information overload.

They werent kidding when they said it was almost XCOM 3.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #157
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Your spoiler is showing

I just spoiled the class
Old 08-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #158
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wife doesn't know I bought it.. so keep it on the down low.. LOL

So far I started with tutorial so it's a release flashback.. guess it opens up soon. Hope to get more time in with it tonight!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #159
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

One odd thing is my GeForce experience settings don't change in game so I had to manually change them and save.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:28 PM   #160
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

For those not a big fan of the timers, not sure if you noticed that within advanced options when you first start a game, you now have the option to double the amount of time you get..plus there are a few other options stored away there....nice touch.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:05 PM   #161
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
For those not a big fan of the timers, not sure if you noticed that within advanced options when you first start a game, you now have the option to double the amount of time you get..plus there are a few other options stored away there....nice touch.

Oooh... Wish I'd seen that, I might re-start actually.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:57 AM   #162
Edward64
Head Coach

I take it everyone agrees its worth the $35-$40?
Old 08-31-2017, 01:10 AM   #163
Groundhog
Coordinator

I haven't read any reviews so no idea if there are bugs or it's a short campaign etc, but based on 4 hours I would say it's well worth it if you love X-Com. It's basically X-Com 2.75.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:04 AM   #164
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I haven't read any reviews so no idea if there are bugs or it's a short campaign etc, but based on 4 hours I would say it's well worth it if you love X-Com. It's basically X-Com 2.75.

This, no regret at all spending 40 bucks. It is like an entirely new game to me.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:39 AM   #165
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I just got around to playing vanilla XCom2 in the past couple of weeks when the price dropped before new Expansion. Should I do a playthru or two first, or does it make sense to grab the Expansion and start from there?
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #166
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

IMO replayability will be enhanced if you do a vanilla run first.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #167
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I just got around to playing vanilla XCom2 in the past couple of weeks when the price dropped before new Expansion. Should I do a playthru or two first, or does it make sense to grab the Expansion and start from there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
IMO replayability will be enhanced if you do a vanilla run first.

LOL, I was going to say the opposite, but of course I have played both and WOTC takes everything good from XCom 2, builds on it and adds more interactions and challenge without becoming brutal. I would say maybe not a complete play through, but perhaps 10-15 hours to get all the mechanics and a good feel for the story, then start WOTC since it technically starts anew and not where XCom 2 leaves off.

Ultimately personal preference, but you can jump into WOTC and not really miss any of the story points from XCom 2.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:20 PM   #168
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I was going to say it's worth playing through once (at least past the rulers) if you have the DLC and if you really like XCOM Enemy Unknown. Just the tie ins with XCOM lore were pretty great.

If not I'd say just jump right into the expansion.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:41 PM   #169
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I played the heck out of EU and barely touched XC 2, so I'm just diving right into the new DLC.

I already lost a solider in my first mission after the tutorial.. lol..
Old 09-03-2017, 04:41 PM   #170
Edward64
Head Coach

Decided to buy the DLC. Played maybe 15 missions so far. Just a couple thoughts

1) I don't like how powerful the Reapers are vs normal Sharpshooters. Can move and shoot and have the special concealment

2) I don't quite know how to kill the Chosen yet, I met 2 of them. The first one jumped around, put some hurt on the troops and on the third jump, stood around enough for me to shoot it 2-3 times and it ran away.

The second Chosen seemed to be more stupid. It hung around and I was able to knock it down with a good shot from the Reaper.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:46 PM   #171
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Decided to buy the DLC. Played maybe 15 missions so far. Just a couple thoughts

1) I don't like how powerful the Reapers are vs normal Sharpshooters. Can move and shoot and have the special concealment

I'm at magnetic weapons for my squad, but my reapers still have their stock guns, and at 3-4 damage I'm finding them near useless at the moment - outside of claiming crates, etc.

I have 1 of each of the new special faction troops, and I'm at the point now where through injuries, tiredness, and covert ops I'm rarely taking more than 1 each battle, either. I think the balance is OK. I've had a few pushover battles where the new special troops have dominated (especially the skirmishers), but then I've had the mission I've attempted 3 times now where a combination of a ton of zombies and a Chosen is straight out wiping my squad.

Quote:
2) I don't quite know how to kill the Chosen yet, I met 2 of them. The first one jumped around, put some hurt on the troops and on the third jump, stood around enough for me to shoot it 2-3 times and it ran away.

I'm not far enough in to know yet, but I imagine all the Chosen are going to be part of the big boss battle at the end. I've killed the 2 I've met a handful of times and the main goal when they show up seems to be to take them off the map before they kidnap/steal knowledge from your team.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:03 PM   #172
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not far enough in to know yet, but I imagine all the Chosen are going to be part of the big boss battle at the end. I've killed the 2 I've met a handful of times and the main goal when they show up seems to be to take them off the map before they kidnap/steal knowledge from your team.

Oh great. I am hoping the ones you kill don't show back up at the end.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #173
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I don't think reapers have the range or damage of snipers. Their ability to scout a map and blow things up while concealed is what makes them valuable to me. I don't consider it a sniper replacement.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-03-2017 at 08:11 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #174
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Yeah, I don't think reapers have the range or damage of snipers. Their ability to scout a map and blow things up while concealed is what makes them valuable to me. I don't consider it a sniper replacement.

Their sniper weapon get upgraded too (at least up one level, not sure how far it goes).

Oh, haven't quite figured out the claymore yet ... I laid it a couple ways but it did not trigger.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-03-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #175
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeah I should add I find the reaper useless for killing power once enemy hit points creep up, but the other stuff - especially the claymore - is awesome.

I think they did a pretty good job inventing the new classes. I love the melee-focused psychic build too, lots of fun, but the Skirmishers are probably my favourite.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #176
Edward64
Head Coach

Add one more thing ...

3) The Lost/Zombies are fun. I do wish they had alot more varied animations, when the come as a group, they seem to do the same animation. The 1 damage seems relatively low though.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:33 PM   #177
Groundhog
Coordinator

I like that they made the lost neutral too. Fun being in stealth and watching a horde charge into the enemy.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #178
Critch
lolzcat

I was only bringing the reaper along on missions where there was a good chance of the Witch Chosen turning up as reapers do extra damage against her, can pretty much single shot her until she gets a bit stronger. Otherwise the regular old sniper was more effective, far better rifle after a bit of research.

To kill a Chosen for good I think you need to find their citadel using the Hunt the Chosen missions from the factions. I lost my one game so far before getting to that point though, so not completely sure. Just about to start again but this time without Ironman enabled.

So far I like the game, but I think maybe I $19.99 like it more than $39.99 like it.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #179
bhlloy
Coordinator

Man, being half way through the campaign I couldn't disagree more on the Lost. I can't think of a more tedious game decision than hordes of cannon fodder who are absolutely zero threat to your team.

I like the other new stuff but I guess I'm the odd one out on this. If I see a mission with the Lost (especially one with the horde modifier) I grab my cellphone because I know it's going to be a bore fest of a mission.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #180
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - at higher levels the Reaper and other special classes are pretty damn valuable IMO. Especially as there's nice ways to gain ability points and you can buy more than the one perk per promotion. Remote start took me a ton of time to realize what I can do with it but it's way better than a sniper with a grenade, and once upgraded the Claymore is amazing as well and has bailed me out of a ton of sticky spots
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #181
Groundhog
Coordinator

Similar to some of the tabletop zombie boardgames I play, I find them most fun when it gets out of control. If I'm battling Advent, I start blowing shit up to attract swarms. The mission I'm stuck on tonight at one point I must have had nearly 30 lost swarming in.

Last edited by Groundhog : 09-03-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:09 PM   #182
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Remote start is crazy powerful and fun to watch.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:57 AM   #183
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

i love my reaper, i cant figure out how to recruit more
Old 09-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #184
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

You get covert ops missions sometimes to recruit them.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #185
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Their sniper weapon get upgraded too (at least up one level, not sure how far it goes).

Oh, haven't quite figured out the claymore yet ... I laid it a couple ways but it did not trigger.

You have to shoot it once you've set it up
Old 09-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #186
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
You have to shoot it once you've set it up

Darn! Thanks. I thought if the baddies step in the space (or left it), it would blow. Makes sense now.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #187
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
You get covert ops missions sometimes to recruit them.

I'm not sure if it's possible to have more than one, because unless it's bad luck the only time I've seen those missions happens to be if I lost a reaper/skirmisher/templar.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #188
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Similar to some of the tabletop zombie boardgames I play, I find them most fun when it gets out of control. If I'm battling Advent, I start blowing shit up to attract swarms. The mission I'm stuck on tonight at one point I must have had nearly 30 lost swarming in.

I finally beat this last night. Ended up keeping all my guys in stealth mode for the first 5 or 6 turns, and put them all in position to capture 5 crates as soon as we revealed. Meanwhile there were a good 20 or so Lost fighting it out with Advent. The Warlock Chosen was the real hard part about this mission - with no mindshield on anyone, as soon as we revealed both him and the Advent priest he summons were mind controlling two of my troops, but the Lost were a bit of a blessing here because about half the time they would attack the ever-increasing volume of zombies (usually with grenades, attracting more...). I had to abandon my usual defensive style of play and rush my other 3 guys forward into the mix (and out of cover) to take out the Warlock ASAP, ending up with 13 of 14 crates captured, and 0 soldiers killed... although 4 gravely wounded.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #189
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's possible to have more than one, because unless it's bad luck the only time I've seen those missions happens to be if I lost a reaper/skirmisher/templar.

I've got two reapers right now.

I've also taken out two of the chosen. Their weapons are amazing!
Old 09-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #190
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I've got two reapers right now.

I've also taken out two of the chosen. Their weapons are amazing!

I would love to get a second Skirmisher. Once you get wraith and the free action perk they are amazing.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #191
Groundhog
Coordinator

Man, the avenger defense mission is no joke, especially with the added threat of a Chosen to contend with. I only had 7 completely healthy troops too to defend with.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #192
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It sounds like I got unlucky in having the Assassin chosen right on top of me from the beginning of my game and immediately interfering in missions. She was invisibly chewing up my entire squad of 5hp chumps over and over, forcing innumerable reloads, until I eventually got out of her way just long enough to buff up a bit.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #193
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
It sounds like I got unlucky in having the Assassin chosen right on top of me from the beginning of my game and immediately interfering in missions. She was invisibly chewing up my entire squad of 5hp chumps over and over, forcing innumerable reloads, until I eventually got out of her way just long enough to buff up a bit.

I was the same - the whole reason I'm defending the avenger right now is that the Assassin stole knowledge from me a bunch of times in early missions.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #194
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I would agree that the assassin is by far the hardest to deal with because as far as I can tell, she gets a free strike that you can't do anything about.

I've found the hunter to be very easy to take down as he basically just makes one of your people move every turn.

By the time I took on the warlock I was too powerful for him so I couldn't get a good sense of his abilities.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #195
Critch
lolzcat

I think the Chosen's skills can vary from game to game.

First time through for me the Assassin didnt have the skill that made her avoid overwatch. She'd pop up, the Reaper would reaction shot her and she would go away again. This time the Assassin doesnt trigger overwatch so she just jumps in, nearly kills somebody, then jumps away again.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #196
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
I think the Chosen's skills can vary from game to game.

Whoa, that's pretty cool. I knew they could develop skills if left unchecked but that's new to me.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #197
Groundhog
Coordinator

I took out the Assassin a few days ago - I thought her "boss" stage was relatively easy because (until she started spawning Advent, at least) I was able to stagger my progress and only fight 3 aliens at a time.

Man, the assassin weapons are amazing. Played through an insanely difficult level with about a million lost to go with all my 'favourite' X-Com enemies (codexes, andromedon, & gatekeepers...), and gave my maxed out ranger both the assassin sword and gun and damn, he was a juggernaut.

I'm at the point now where I could probably fast forward and finish the game off fairly quickly, but I'm having fun developing some of these new classes, and I want to try some of the tech I've researched and not used.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #198
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Anybody else run into the 'King' Archon with 90 health? No thank you.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:36 PM   #199
Edward64
Head Coach

Paused on Stellaris (waiting to read the reviews on the latest DLC and inevitable quick patch) and have been playing XCom WotC.

Just killed the first Chosen and fought off the attack on the Avenger. I'm enjoying it but not sure its worth the $40. It has brought me back into the game though and it does have that just-one-more-turn for me.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:51 PM   #200
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I enjoyed the new expansion, played the hell out of it everyday until I reached the final mission , at which point I saved it, and haven't gone back for like two weeks. For all the fun I had, I just don't feel like slogging it through that last grind.