Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
nol
Banned

Master of the Maison - a Pokemon Dynasty

Through 15+ years, 6 generations of games, and over 700 monsters, the Pokemon franchise has remained popular with fans of all ages. In my opinion, the main reason for this is its mix of simplicity and complexity. Its turn-based combat does not require any sort of fast-twitch coordination, and "beating the game" in the traditional sense of defeating the story's final boss trainers does not require excessive amounts of strategy or level grinding from your party, but playing at a high level against other players requires equal parts preparation in creating a team able to handle any number of possible strategies and a poker-like amount of bluffing/prediction throughout the actual match.

Similarly, the Pokemon themselves strike that same balance, staying away from hardcore amounts of skill tree/crafting-esque min-maxing, while maintaining plenty of opportunities for customization once one understands some of the game's inner mechanics. This dynasty will chronicle my attempts to crack the most strategically taxing challenge the single-player mode of the game has to offer, the Battle Maison.

nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
nol
Banned

The Battle Maison challenge, unlocked after completing the main story mode in Pokemon X and Y version, consists of trying to put together the longest winning streak against a series of random opponents. These battles are more difficult than any against the in-game opponents you'll encounter for a variety of reasons, most notably because you can't just grind your Pokemon to be a higher level than your opponents'.

However, the battles are much easier than you'd find against competent human opponents because 1) the AI is much simpler (we're a ways off from having a Pokemon version of Deep Blue) and 2) the Battle Maison trainers can use hundreds of different Pokemon, many of which are strictly outclassed by the Pokemon most often used in competitive settings.

As a matter of fact, it can be quite elementary to put together a team of the most overwhelmingly powerful Pokemon allowed that has about a 99% chance of winning any given match. Against actual people, the best of the best players typically win 80+ percent of their matches. However, if you're trying to win hundreds of battles in a row in the Battle Maison, it's inevitable you'll run into some of the game's random luck elements that will bring your streak to a crashing halt. Minimizing your exposure to luck presents a unique teambuilding challenge that requires optimization of every single element you have control over.

Last edited by nol : 03-02-2015 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
nol
Banned

As part of Pokemon's "something for everyone" appeal, you have your monsters that are supposed to be cute like Pikachu as well as ones that are supposed to look super intimidating and badass. Underneath all of that, a Pokemon's usefulness in battle is based on these factors, which I'll try to quickly bring you up to speed on using this example:

1.Type. A Pokemon can have 1 or 2 out of the 18 possible types, and all attacks have a type as well. This operates on a Rock-Paper-Scissors type of system where all attacks have a x0, x0.5, x1, or x2 damage multiplier against a certain type. When a Pokemon has two types, an attack's effectiveness is multiplied against both of those types. For example, Fire-type attacks are super effective (x2 multiplier) against Ice-type Pokemon and not very effective (x0.5 multiplier) against Water-type Pokemon, so a Fire-type move against a Water/Ice type Pokemon would do normal (x1) damage. Additionally, attacks that are the same type as the user receive a 50% damage bonus.

2. Stats. Each species of Pokemon has a base value for each of the stats listed (HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed). While this gives a general footprint, there's a lot of variation introduced through individual values (the Pokemon equivalent of genes, all of these are optimized for both my Pokemon and the opponents' in the Maison, so I won't go into too much detail there), natures (which raise one stat and reduce another by 10%), and effort values (essentially a limited amount of bonus stat points you can spend as you please).

As an example of the variation both within and among individuals, the Glalie in the screenshot above has the same base stat (80) for Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. As you'll see later, these stats can be modified (from a 0.25x to a 4x multiplier) by certain battle conditions. Additionally, Pokemon have Accuracy and Evasion multipliers, which all start out at 1x, that affect the likelihood of an attack connecting.

As far as how these stats are used in battle, HP is the old RPG standby; if you run out, you're dead. In addition to having a type, attacking moves can be either physical (the straightforward punching, hitting type of moves) or special (equivalent to elemental/magic attacks in other RPGs). Attack/Defense is a measure of a Pokemon's ability to dish out or take physical attacks, and likewise for the special counterparts. Speed is perhaps the most important stat for a turn-based RPG, determining which Pokemon gets to move first; if both Pokemon have the same Speed, the turn order is a coinflip.

3. Ability. These are passive traits that can take on any number of different effects. The best abilities can make Pokemon with mediocre stats among the most fearsome characters in the game, and the worst ones can completely neuter Pokemon with top-tier stats and attacks. Pokemon can only have one ability at a time, but some species of Pokemon can potentially have one of up to three different abilities which may significantly affect the optimal strategy to use against them.

4. Item. Each Pokemon is allowed to hold an item, which can confer offensive or defensive benefits. Item choice is extra important because using any of the potions or healing items that are prevalent during the story mode is prohibited in the Battle Maison, and no two Pokemon on your team may hold the same item.

After these four, each Pokemon can use up to four attacks. The aforementioned physical and special attacks can vary by their base power, accuracy, Power Points (the number of times in a battle they can be used), and side effects. They can also land critical hits, which deal 50% more damage while also bypassing any defensive boosts the target may have. These two categories combined are much smaller than the third category, status moves. Status moves are broadly categorized as any attack that does not directly cause damage, and can buff/debuff yours or your opponents' stats, afflict opponents with passive conditions, or introduce new field effects (such as summoning a downpour or extreme sunlight), to name just a few. Status moves are by far the most important category of attacks in the Battle Maison, since the diversity of Pokemon (and by extension, the myriad critical hits and rare side effects) you may face means that you absolutely want to limit the amount of hits your team members must take.

Last edited by nol : 03-02-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
nol
Banned

Durant - "You the real MVP"

As I alluded to earlier, bringing three powerhouse Pokemon and blasting away isn't the best strategy for the Maison due to the amount of imperfect information present in each match. While each possible opponent has a roster of Pokemon with known stats, items, and moves (compiled by other players here and here), there's no way of knowing beforehand which three Pokemon you'll be facing.

A few top-tier Pokemon are capable of making short work of the opponent's entire team all by themselves, but every Pokemon will run into nightmare matchups. The first monster you send out may have a good matchup against all three of your opponent's team members in a vacuum, but if it gets weakened enough by the first two Pokemon to get KOed by the third (or suffers from some unfortunate luck along the way), you might find youself with the tables completely turned if your remaining two Pokemon have a bad matchup.

A common countermeasure for this is to use a strategy that puts all your eggs in one basket, offering one or two Pokemon as sacrificial pawns to put your third in as good a position as possible to boost its stats to the point that it can singlehandedly take on the opposing team. No Pokemon is better at offering this support than Durant.

Compared to Glalie, we see that Durant (yes, Kevin Durant was a well-known commodity before this Pokemon was introduced) is much less well-rounded statwise. Its HP and special stats are abysmal while everything else is well above average. Its dual typing of Bug/Steel is quite nice defensively; it's only weak to Fire (but since both Bug and Steel are weak to Fire, Fire attacks get a 4x multiplier), and 9 of the remaining 17 types hit it for 0.5x damage or less). Its ability, Truant, is what makes it gamebreaking for the Battle Maison. Truant is what I had in mind when I mentioned that the worst abilities in the game can neuter otherwise outstanding Pokemon - every time the Pokemon with that ability attacks, it must spend the following turn sitting around doing nothing. So why would I want to handicap Durant with such a terrible ability?

That's where the move Entrainment comes in. Entrainment changes the opponent's ability to match the user's. Against another human, this is a pretty lame gimmick because your opponent can just switch to another Pokemon after one turn of sitting around doing nothing. One free turn for your own Pokemon can be extremely valuable, but it's often not worth the cost of sacrificing a teammate. However, the AI in the Battle Maison is extremely loathe to switch Pokemon under any circumstances, which you can abuse to the fullest.

Durant holds the item Choice Scarf, which multiplies the user's Speed stat by 1.5 at the cost of only allowing it to use one of its moves until it is KOed or switches out, to make it faster than any Pokemon encountered in the Battle Maison, allowing it to use Entrainment before being KOed. Once Durant has successfully saddled another Pokemon with the Truant ability, the path to victory becomes extremely clear. Just about every single Pokemon can learn the status move Protect, which renders the user invulnerable to any attack during the turn, but doesn't work when used multiple turns in a row. From the simple combination of using Protect on the turns your Truant opponent attacks and using a stat-boosting move on the turns it doesn't, lots of Pokemon are transformed into fearsome juggernauts. However, a variety of tactics can prevent your maximally boosted Pokemon from ravaging through the remaining two opposing team members:

Quick Claw - This item, when held, gives a Pokemon a 20% chance of moving first on a given turn regardless of its Speed. While this isn't a disaster on its own if your Pokemon can take a hit, a 1-2 punch of Quick Claw and a critical hit, unlucky side effect, or anything listed below will prove fatal.

Focus Sash - This item, when held, allows a Pokemon that has 100% health to survive an attack that would normally KO it with 1 HP remaining. In other words, Pokemon with this item are getting one hit in and there's not much you can do about it. There are a few obscure moves that hit multiple times in a turn that can work around this, but not many good Pokemon learn them.

Sturdy - This ability grants the same effect as Focus Sash, but it can be bypassed by using a Pokemon with the ability Mold Breaker.

Lax Incense/Bright Powder - These items, when held, increase a Pokemon's evasion by 10%, so even if your attack normally has 100% accuracy, you can still miss and leave yourself vulnerable. This can be counteracted by using moves that raise Accuracy.

Good old-fashioned defensive toughness - since the Pokemon you're using has to devote at least two moveslots to Protect + [stat-boosting move], there's a pretty good chance you could end up facing some defensive behemoth that can take what you're throwing at it. With so many possible combinations of Pokemon types, in addition to some defensive abilities like Flash Fire (immunity to Fire moves), Volt Absorb (Electric), and Sap Sipper (Grass), not too many attacks have zero Pokemon that are immune to them. Even if you use a second type of attack that offers nice synergy, that leaves you lacking any way of patching up your defenses to take a hit in case Quick Claw et al. show up.

Last edited by nol : 11-18-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'll be reading

I know a little bit about this scene but mostly vicariously as I never had the patience to EV and level grind.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #6
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'll be reading

I know a little bit about this scene but mostly vicariously as I never had the patience to EV and level grind.

SI

The nice thing is that most of the Pokemon I use work perfectly well with "standard" EV spreads (the maximum number of points dumped into 2 stats) but yes, that stuff is enough of a grind that I make sure to have carefully thought through how a Pokemon will perform before committing to all the breeding, EVing, and such. Luckily, I've bought so many Rare Candies with Battle Points from the Maison that the leveling part is trivial

I'll try to upload some interesting battle videos for you (and anyone else that has a 3DS). Unfortunately, the easiest way for non-3DS users to view them would be for me to record the battle videos with my own camera and then upload it to YouTube, but I'll think about that if there's enough demand.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Also, the poker analogy is interesting as I hadn't thought about it. With walls, sweepers, etc, I just thought about it more as a cascading rock-paper-scissors with the cascading part being pretty darn important.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
nol
Banned

Since no one Pokemon possesses the perfect combination of attributes necessary to overcome all potential obstacles I listed (duh, otherwise making a good team would be way too easy and not worth writing about), it becomes a matter of determining an tolerable amount of risk.

For an effective Durant partner(s), this much is absolutely necessary:

*Protect - pretty much every single Pokemon learns this, so not a limiting factor. Needed to become invulnerable to attacks from the Pokemon with Truant

*Stat Boosting - The more stats that can be boosted, the better. Defense and Special Defense boosts are probably the least important due to the potential for critical hits to render them irrelevant. Boosting either Attack or Special Attack, depending on the moves you're going to use, is crucial for powering through Pokemon that would normally offer heavy resistance. Speed is essential to make sure nothing can touch you before you fire off an attack, but keep in mind that a Pokemon with a Quick Claw has a 20% chance of making any speed advantage useless. Raising your Accuracy helps eliminate the potential for an attack to miss due to Bright Powder or Lax Incense, but not many moves boost that stat. Lastly, having boosted Evasion can be nice, but opponents can still get lucky and hit you.

Dragon Dance - Boosts Attack and Speed one stage (maximally boosting a stat requires an increase of 6 stages). This is probably the most straightforward route. The Pokemon that learn this move tend to already have pretty high Attack and Speed stats, so six Dragon Dances will push them into overkill territory.

Quiver Dance - Boosts Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed one stage. This is the only move that boosts both Special Attack and Speed. Unfortunately, only 8 Pokemon learn this move, and they're all Bug types. Bugs have two main problems: 1) seven different types resist bug moves, with quite a few commonly-seen type combinations doubly resisting them and 2) six different Pokemon seen in the Battle Maison can have an ability (Soundproof) that grants them an immunity to the most common Bug-type special attack, Bug Buzz.

Shell Smash - Boosts Attack, Special Attack and Speed two stages while reducing Defense and Special Defense one stage. An extra speedy way of boosting all the major offensive stats, but the defensive drops mean you'd better be able to one-hit KO everything, or else you'll be KOed in return. Distribution of this move is limited as well, with fewer than a dozen Pokemon capable of learning it.

Hone Claws - Boosts Accuracy and Attack one stage. Notable for being one of the two moves that boosts Accuracy. The lack of Speed boosting can be offset by combining Hone Claws with one of a few increased priority moves, which allow the user to always move first (unless a faster opponent is also using a priority move). Hundreds of Pokemon can learn Hone Claws.

Calm Mind - Boosts Special Attack and Special Defense one stage. An inferior version of Quiver Dance, but many more Pokemon learn Calm Mind. One downside to using special attacks in the Maison is that all methods of getting around Pokemon with Sturdy and/or Focus Sash (multi-hit moves and Pokemon with the ability Mold Breaker) are physically oriented.

Coil - Boosts Attack, Defense, and Accuracy one stage. Sounds awesome, but only 5 fully-evolved Pokemon can learn it, and all 5 attack using a type that several Pokemon are immune to.

Acupressure - Boosts a random stat two stages. Only 7 Pokemon learn this, but it's got everything you can possibly need. The main problem's the randomness; as you'll see, it's not always possible to boost your stats for the 21 turns necessary to boost all 7 stats to the max. A fully-Acupressured Pokemon isn't unbeatable, but it's close.

*Attacking power - You want to be able to cover as many Pokemon as possible with a single move. Only 7 of the 18 attacking types have 0 Pokemon that are immune to them: Flying, Steel, Dark, Ice, Fairy, Rock, and Bug, so a Pokemon with one of those types (to grant those moves the 1.5x bonus) in combination with the ability to boost its stats would be optimal. However, the quality of moves available for a certain type make a difference too, as illustrated by Bug Buzz. Rock can also be ruled out as a primary attacking type, as none of the strongest Rock-type attacks have 100% accuracy.

*Staying power - Ideally, the boosted Pokemon will not have to take any hits, but luck won't always pan out that way. While boosting your defensive stats can help, it's not always a failsafe thanks to critical hits and OHKO moves such as Sheer Cold, Guillotine, and Fissure. These moves have only 30% accuracy, but can automatically KO you regardless of your defensive boosts. There are a couple stopgap measures against this - the item Focus Sash and the move Substitute. Substitute takes away 25% of your Pokemon's hit points to create a decoy that blocks almost every status move thrown at it and prevents you from taking any additional health damage until it's broken. With proper prediction, this can be an extremely helpful move. Pokemon with the ability Infiltrator ignore Substitutes, so it's not always better than a Focus Sash.

Last edited by nol : 11-18-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
nol
Banned

With all that said, here are some of the most reliable team members I've used (images courtesy of the website Smogon):

Cloyster

The combination that makes Cloyster so deadly is its access to Shell Smash, the move Icicle Spear (physical Ice attack, 100% accuracy, hits 2-5 times each turn, 25 base power per hit), and the ability Skill Link (all multi-hit moves always hit 5 times). Shell Smash transforms it from a physically defensive tank with mediocre stats elsewhere to an absolute speed demon. For a Pokemon to survive Icicle Spear's 5 hits, it's going to need to resist Ice (which Water, Fire, Steel and Ice types do) and have extremely high defenses to boot. Cloyster doesn't want to take any hits at all, and uses a Focus Sash as insurance for any unlucky misses or Quick Claw activations.

For the 4th move (besides Shell Smash, Protect, and Icicle Spear), Cloyster has a couple options for the rare occasion it won't be using Icicle Spear; Rock Blast is a Rock-type move identical to Icicle Spear, but with 90% accuracy, and Surf is a special Water attack with 90 base power and 100 accuracy. Rock Blast can take out just about any wall that would survive Icicle Spear, but the accuracy may leave you out to dry at the worst possible time. The main benefit to Surf is its ability to expedite battles against a lead Pokemon that boosts its Defense when Cloyster is setting up.

Mega Gyarados

Like Cloyster, Gyarados is another one of the original 150 Pokemon. It's traditionally been one of the stronger Pokemon, but Mega Evolution, a feature introduced in the most recent installments of the series, takes it to another level. Certain Pokemon holding a special item (in this case, a Gyaradosite), gain the ability to trigger a one-time transformation each battle into a new Mega form that may have higher stats, a new ability, and even a different type combination.

Mega Gyarados's ability Mold Breaker allows it to bypass Sturdy and abilities such as Storm Drain and Water Absorb to hit every single Pokemon with a Water-type move. The best physical Water move it gets is Waterfall (80 power, 100% accuracy, 20% chance to make the opponent flinch and not move if slower than the user). With Dragon Dance, Substitute, Waterfall, and Protect, it can hit nearly as hard as Cloyster while maintaining good defenses. For example, if Cloyster got unlucky and took a hit, it'd only have 1 HP remaining, leaving it vulnerable to any Pokemon with a priority move, while Gyarados's Substitute would keep it at high enough health to take a second hit if need be. One drawback compared to Cloyster is the fact that Waterfall makes contact with the opponent. Certain Pokemon have defensive abilities that have a chance of triggering when an opponent makes contact with them. Static has a 30% chance of paralyzing an opponent making a contact move, Flame Body has a 30% chance of burning, Poison Point has a 30% chance of poisoning, and Effect Spore has a 30% chance of either paralyzing, poisoning, or putting you to sleep. These status conditions can shut down Gyarados (or any Pokemon) before it gets going.

Paralysis - a paralyzed Pokemon has its Speed stat reduced to 25% of its original value and also has a 25% chance of being "fully paralyzed" and not moving each turn.
Burn - a burned Pokemon has its Attack stat cut in half and loses 1/8th of its HP each turn. If Gyarados gets burned and then faces a wall that resists Water attacks, it may be KOed by Burn damage before it can KO the final opponent.
Poison - Poisoned Pokemon lose 1/8th of their HP at the end of each turn. With no other effect, this one is manageable.
Sleep - Sleeping Pokemon do nothing for a random (1-3) amount of turns before waking up and being back to normal. That's more than enough turns for something to KO you if you're unlucky.

Drapion

Drapion's stats are nothing to write home about, but its Dark/Poison typing leaves it weak to only Ground attacks. The main attraction here is its combination of Acupressure and Dark type attacks, which have no immunities. The ability Battle Armor, which prevents non-Mold Breaker Pokemon from landing critical hits on Drapion, is icing on the cake. When Drapion goes on the offensive, it uses the attack Knock Off (physical Dark type, 65 power, 100% accuracy, does 50% more damage and removes the item when used against a Pokemon holding an item). Knock Off is one of the best moves in the game, packing a decent punch while disarming any Pokemon that survives it. If Drapion gets completely boosted, you're golden, save for Pokemon with the ability Unaware, which ignores all of your stat boosts. Fortunately, only one Pokemon in the entire Battle Maison can have that ability. Drapion holds the item Black Sludge, which passively recovers 1/16th of its maximum HP each turn, so it can continually replenish its health to make as many Substitutes as necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Also, the poker analogy is interesting as I hadn't thought about it. With walls, sweepers, etc, I just thought about it more as a cascading rock-paper-scissors with the cascading part being pretty darn important.

SI

Yeah, it's more pronounced against another person when you don't know for sure which attacks or EVs the other Pokemon will have ("Did they just send out this Pokemon that my Pokemon normally beats because it has an uncommon move that will surprise me, or do they just want me to think that?"), but the most relevant aspect is that the RNG can create situations similar to when you get screwed over by the river card in Texas Hold'em even though you've made all the right moves beforehand.

Last edited by nol : 11-18-2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
nol
Banned

I'm gonna start chronicling my streak at battle 51, since this is the point that the difficulty bumps up and it's only possible to encounter the strongest trainers. I'll have Drapion and Cloyster backing up Durant; Cloyster will be the quick and easy option, while I'll bring out Drapion when more caution is needed.

For quick reference

Durant
Item: Choice Scarf
Jolly nature (+10% Speed, -10% Special Attack)
EVs maximizing HP and Speed
-Entrainment
-X-Scissor (physical Bug move, 80 power, 100% accuracy)
-Rock Slide (physical Rock move, 75 power, 90% accuracy, 30% chance of causing a flinch)
-Iron Head (physical Steel move, 80 power, 100% accuracy, 30% chance of causing a flinch)

Drapion
Item: Black Sludge
Adamant nature (+10% attack, -10% Special Attack)
EVs maximizing HP and Attack
-Substitute
-Protect
-Acupressure
-Knock Off

Cloyster
Item: Focus Sash
Adamant nature (+10% Attack, -10% Special Attack)
EVs maximizing Attack and Speed
-Protect
-Shell Smash
-Icicle Spear
-Surf

In the best-case scenario, battles will go down like this:

Turn 1: Durant uses Entrainment, the opponent attacks it
Turn 2: Switch in Cloyster as the opponent does nothing due to Truant
Turns 3-8: Cloyster alternates using Protect and Shell Smash to not take any damage.
Turns 9-11: Cloyster KOes the three opponents

In battles such as these, the victory is 100% in the preparation, so I'll only summarize the battles where some extra thinking is required.

Battles 51-60
Spoiler

Battles 61-70

Spoiler

Last edited by nol : 11-19-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
nol
Banned

Battles 71-80
Spoiler

Battles 81-90
Spoiler

Battles 91-100
Spoiler

Last edited by nol : 11-20-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:09 AM   #12
nol
Banned

If I'd reached this milestone for the first time, a character would have given me a rare item (and then another item at 200 in a row). That's pretty much it for acknowledgement from the game, but hopefully I can keep going above and beyond that on this documented streak.

Battles 101-110
Spoiler

Battles 111-120 - won them all, but lost the writeup.

Battles 121-130
Spoiler

Last edited by nol : 11-20-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:28 AM   #13
nol
Banned

Battles 131-140
Spoiler

Battles 141-150
Spoiler

Battles 151-160
Spoiler

Battles 161-170
Spoiler

Last edited by nol : 12-03-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #14
nol
Banned

Battles 171-180
Spoiler

Battles 181-190
Spoiler

Last edited by nol : 12-15-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #15
nol
Banned

Battles 191-200

Spoiler

Battles 201-210
Spoiler

Battles 211-220
Spoiler

Last edited by nol : 12-16-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:19 AM   #16
nol
Banned

Battles 221-230
Spoiler

Battles 231-240
Spoiler

Battles 241-250
Spoiler

Battles 251-260
Spoiler

Last edited by nol : 12-17-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:43 PM   #17
nol
Banned

I'm yadda yadda yadda-ing a lot here, but I won 563 in a row with this team before losing. If you've got a 3DS you can watch it in the Vs. Recorder with the code ANQG-WWWW-WWWY-QH7F, but I'm not going to go into too much detail other than to say that the unlucky scenario against a lead Mienshao (seen in battle #213) happened, which put me in a bind.

So that loss made me go to my next-level team, which is currently sitting at over 1000 consecutive wins. A YouTube video is being uploaded of battles #999 and #1000, so I hate to tease but I'll wait until that's up to help explain my new team.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #18
nol
Banned

Here's the video:

From the battles before, a lot of my close calls were due to leads that, through moves like Protect or Fake Out or items like Bright Powder or Lax Incense, prevented Durant from using Entrainment.

With this team, I lead off with a Pokemon whose sole purpose is to render everything susceptible to Entrainment. Sableye is a Ghost/Dark type Pokemon with the ability Prankster, which increases the priority of all status moves. In other words, no matter how slow Sableye is, it will almost always move first if it's not using an actual attack. Sableye holds a Focus Sash to ensure it will survive a hit and be able to use at least 2 status moves on the opponent before it's time for Durant to come in.

While your Pokemon's levels are automatically decreased to 50, you're still able to use lower-leveled Pokemon. Sableye takes full advantage of this. At level 1, the AI sees Sableye as easy pickings, so opponents will abandon their status moves and use attacking moves to try to KO it. Against those leads with Protect, that means Sableye can use Taunt (prevents the opponents from using any status moves for 3 turns) right before it's knocked out to prevent the opponent from blocking Durant's Entrainment. Its other three status moves are Trick (switches items with the opponent, perfect for getting rid of Choice items or Life Orbs), Gravity (creates a field effect that decreases all Pokemons' Evasiveness by 2 stages for 5 turns; this allows Entrainment to always hit even if the foe has Bright Powder or Lax Incense), and Flash (decreases opponent's Accuracy by 1 stage, probably the most-used move).

Since I'm now using two Pokemon that can't damage the opponent, the 3rd one really has to pick up a lot of slack. Glalie is a lot like Drapion in that it can boost all of its stats. The main difference is that Drapion uses an attack (Acupressure) while Glalie boosts passively with its ability Moody (at the end of each turn, one of the seven stats randomly boosts 2 stages and another one drops 1 stage). In normal play, Moody is terribly unreliable - sometimes it allows the user to win battles he/she has no business winning, but other times crucial stat drops can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. However, thanks to Entrainment Glalie can stay on the field for enough turns to ride out any random fluctuations and end up with positive boosts in the stats it needs to secure victories. Glalie uses Substitute and Protect for the same reasons the other sweepers have and Frost Breath (special Ice type, 60 base power, 90% accuracy, always lands a critical hit) is its attack of choice. In its spare moveslot, I use Taunt. Taunt has two main benefits: aside from preventing any status moves from the opponent, it doesn't do any damage so Glalie can stay in and get more stat boosts against the Truant Pokemon.