Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #51
JPhillips
General Manager

22. If you have eight members in your family and take up two whole rows and two of three seats in another row, don't put the car seat for your child in the row with another passenger.

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #52
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'm sure you are mostly kidding, but I used to get annoyed at babies on planes until I had my own. Then I realized how difficult it is and how you have to try really hard to not bother everyone around you and its typically a losing battle.
If you put your hand over their mouth and nose they will usually stop making noise.

#protip
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 06-23-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #53
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
I'm sure you are mostly kidding, but I used to get annoyed at babies on planes until I had my own.

I dont have any, so I still hate the little screaming shitbags on planes.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #54
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
If you put your hand over their mouth and nose they will usually stop making noise.

#protip

#hawkeye
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #55
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I know many parents don't believe in using pacifiers in general, but I think there are situations (like airplanes), where a few hours with a pacifier isn't going to do any damage.

- If you're just five feet tall and the person behind you is more than six feet tall, don't recline your seat. Under any circumstances, don't recline your seat without polite discussion with the person behind you.

- If you're naturally hyperactive, take a sedative before flying. You're too close to others to be bouncing like that without making them want to kill you (slowly and painfully).

- Learn to chew gum with your mouth closed.

- When walking down the aisle, the headrests of other people's seats are not your personal exercise equipment.

- Don't stand in the aisles having conversations with your friends and family while the attendants are trying to serve drinks and people are trying to get to the bathrooms. If you can't book a seat in the same row, you need to be able to get through the trip without those long, meaningful conversations about the worthless crap you want to buy from the duty-free magazines.

(for the flight attendants) - please remember that your bosses have cut costs so much that flying is a miserable experience for travelers. And this is after they spend far too long waiting in long, miserable lines only to have their crotches grabbed by strangers (and not in a good way). Please be patient with them, and, later, they will recognize that you do the best you can under very difficult circumstances.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #56
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
- If you're just five feet tall and the person behind you is more than six feet tall, don't recline your seat. Under any circumstances, don't recline your seat without polite discussion with the person behind you.

I've given up on trying to calculate the odds of this happening to me so often. Statistically speaking, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be one of the 2-3 tallest people on a given flight, and there aren't that many passengers who are big enough assholes to immediately recline their seat for the duration of a non-redeye flight. Yet, there always seems to be a match where someone in the 98th percentile of height is placed immediately behind someone in the 98th percentile of being an asshole.

Every seat on an airplane is shitty and it's not like reclining all the way back is going to change that in any meaningful way. All it succeeds in doing is making it a nightmare for the person sitting behind you, and I've gotten to the point that I'm more than happy to dig my knees into the person's back until they return their seat to its original position.

Last edited by nol : 06-23-2014 at 04:30 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #57
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
15. Bathe, for the love of god bathe. I don't care what you look like or where you are from but there is no reason to smell like a bum's nutsack on a plane.

Did you recently fly out of Nashville? A friend of my coworker's son flew out of there after spending 4 days at Bonnaroo. I told her they would be diverting that flight and taking me into custody if he had sat next to me.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #58
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

Although when someone reclines that rarely impacts the "legroom" area. It's much more of a nuisance in the space above someones legs... Speaking as someone 5'11".

Last edited by DanGarion : 06-23-2014 at 04:55 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #59
Blackadar
Retired

The whole "don't recline your seat" thing isn't anyone's fault besides the airline's. If I choose to recline the seat, I'm not turning around and evaluating the person behind me before doing so. They might be 5'2" but trying to use a laptop. So height doesn't really matter.

Personally, I don't think any of the coach seats should recline. Problem solved.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #60
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
The whole "don't recline your seat" thing isn't anyone's fault besides the airline's. If I choose to recline the seat, I'm not turning around and evaluating the person behind me before doing so. They might be 5'2" but trying to use a laptop. So height doesn't really matter.

Personally, I don't think any of the coach seats should recline. Problem solved.

My opinion as well. It sucks but it is part of flying.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #61
PilotMan
Head Coach

I've actually gasped in pain when someone decides to just thrust their seat back as my knees are pushed against the back of it. I do my best to be as small as I can, but sometimes you just get caught off guard. I'd never begrudge someone their comfort, but if I happen to knee the back of your seat multiple times over a flight just from shifting to get more comfortable it's not my problem. It really is the best I can do.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #62
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think the etiquette is bring it back a bit to let the person behind you now its coming, then slowly go back. The people who just drop back with no warning should be thrown from the plane.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #63
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
15. Bathe, for the love of god bathe. I don't care what you look like or where you are from but there is no reason to smell like a bum's nutsack on a plane.

What does a bum's nutsack smell lik-- you know, on second thought, I don't want to know

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #64
nol
Banned

Quote:
I've actually gasped in pain when someone decides to just thrust their seat back as my knees are pushed against the back of it. I do my best to be as small as I can, but sometimes you just get caught off guard. I'd never begrudge someone their comfort, but if I happen to knee the back of your seat multiple times over a flight just from shifting to get more comfortable it's not my problem. It really is the best I can do.

Exactly. If someone keeps the seat in the normal position, I'm fine with sitting in a weird diagonal position to make sure I'm not pushing my knees into his/her back as I shift a few times during the flight so my entire leg doesn't fall asleep. Once that seat goes back, though, all bets are off.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #65
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Exactly. If someone keeps the seat in the normal position, I'm fine with sitting in a weird diagonal position to make sure I'm not pushing my knees into his/her back as I shift a few times during the flight so my entire leg doesn't fall asleep. Once that seat goes back, though, all bets are off.

That's exactly how I feel. It's a tight fit, but I do my best because I hate it when people kick me in the back. But if they lean back, it's so tight that I have to be a little careless just to keep the circulation going. I'm only 6-1, but I have long legs.

True story. When I was about 15, back when there was a realistic amount of seat pitch, there were a pair of nuns in the seats behind my family on a flight. One of them decided to sit cross-legged and wedge her foot between my seat and my backrest. I ended up getting quite the shock of my young life as she kept pressing forward.

So I turned, peered over the back and said, "hey, stop that." She seemed surprised and a little off-put and said, "what's wrong?" For whatever reason, I came up with, "if you knew what you just did to me, you'd have to renounce your vows." I was pissed off, so I just turned back around and tried to get comfortable without waiting for a response. Fortunately, her foot didn't return.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #66
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Yep.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #67
revrew
Team Chaplain

23. LISTEN to the announcements. Oh, I understand the safety thing may be a bit old and don't blame your for zoning out, but we are all crammed in here together and we need to be on the same page, so when the captain is speaking ... pay attention.

Case in point: On a delayed flight from LA to San Fran, the crew made an announcement about people having tight connections upon landing. Asked about 5 of us who could still make our connection to raise our hands so we could be identified and asked others to let us off first. I was one of the 5.

When we landed, the passengers didn't make way for a single one of the 5 people who raised their hand. All got up and clogged the aisles. Missed my connection and got a lovely 10-hour layover.

(Of course, I was flying into San Fran. I guarantee if I was flying into Des Moines, the passengers would have not only stayed out of the aisles to let us pass, but also would have offered to help fetch our bags.)
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.

Last edited by revrew : 06-24-2014 at 11:40 AM.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #68
Logan
Head Coach

I would give that about a 1% chance of ever working out the way the crew hoped it would. All it takes is one guy to get up near the front and everyone goes into their own auto-pilot mode of standing up. They should have seen if a few people up front would swap seats with you.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #69
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
23. LISTEN to the announcements. Oh, I understand the safety thing may be a bit old and don't blame your for zoning out, but we are all crammed in here together and we need to be on the same page, so when the captain is speaking ... pay attention.

Case in point: On a delayed flight from LA to San Fran, the crew made an announcement about people having tight connections upon landing. Asked about 5 of us who could still make our connection to raise our hands so we could be identified and asked others to let us off first. I was one of the 5.

When we landed, the passengers didn't make way for a single one of the 5 people who raised their hand. All got up and clogged the aisles. Missed my connection and got a lovely 10-hour layover.

(Of course, I was flying into San Fran. I guarantee if I was flying into Des Moines, the passengers would have not only stayed out of the aisles to let us pass, but also would have offered to help fetch our bags.)

I've seen this in MANY airports and it never happens. It wouldn't have happened in Des Moines either. Basically if you're in that situation you need to get up FAST as soon as the plane touches down and just push your way up front. And if you're in the back of the plane, you're fucked. Then again...

(this isn't directed at you revrew)

...I would have been in the aisle too. I fly virtually every week. I get tired of hearing that someone is going to miss their connection every time a plane lands 15 minutes late and that the rest of us should sit there for a while. I have shit to do too and your time isn't more important than mine. It happens every single fucking time and it's often bullshit. I'm tired of people booking flights with 45 minute connections on planes that have an "on time" percent (remember, on time is within 15 minutes of the projected arrival time) of 70% or so. Guess what? Don't book that connection and give yourself some time to get to the next flight. If you book the tight connection trying to save yourself time, don't ask me to waste mine because you didn't plan for a simple 30 minute delay contingency.

I hate dealing with connections and avoid them whenever possible, to the point that I'm currently driving an hour and a half to Tampa (when Ft. Myers and Sarasota are both half that distance away) specifically so I can take a direct flight.

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-24-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #70
molson
General Manager

Ya, I always aim for 2+ hour layovers. 3 is even better if I can get it. I can always read a book. Not having the stress of missing your connection, especially on a vacation, is worth the time.

On a side tangent about airlines generally, last month I took a few flights on Air Serbia and Lufthansa. What a difference. The Air Serbia planes were old and had little overhead space, but you got a snack box with about 5 different things in it on a 90 minute flight, and you really only needed to get to the airport 45 minutes or so before your flight left. And a 10+ hour flight on Lufthansa is just a completely different experience form the equivalent on United.

Last edited by molson : 06-24-2014 at 11:57 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #71
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I would give that about a 1% chance of ever working out the way the crew hoped it would. All it takes is one guy to get up near the front and everyone goes into their own auto-pilot mode of standing up. They should have seen if a few people up front would swap seats with you.

Oh, I hear you. I didn't actually expect it to work. As soon as the plan landed, I didn't even really bother, because it was obvious it wasn't gonna happen, and I didn't want to shove 40 people out of the way or climb over seats to get there. My connection was so tight because of the delay, it would have been a crapshoot even if the aisles were clear.

But just because I realize things like civilized society, "common" courtesy and kindness have gone in the crapper, doesn't mean I have to like it. I can be curmudgeonly that way
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #72
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I've been on numerous planes where people stayed in their seats to let people with tight connections get off first, but it worked because the pilots made the announcement as we were taxiing to the gate, not before we took off. It probably also helped that a couple of those were coming out of the Bahamas where the Air Traffic Controllers were doing their usual takeoff slowdown, so it was understandable connections would be tight.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #73
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
Oh, I hear you. I didn't actually expect it to work. As soon as the plan landed, I didn't even really bother, because it was obvious it wasn't gonna happen, and I didn't want to shove 40 people out of the way or climb over seats to get there. My connection was so tight because of the delay, it would have been a crapshoot even if the aisles were clear.

But just because I realize things like civilized society, "common" courtesy and kindness have gone in the crapper, doesn't mean I have to like it. I can be curmudgeonly that way

Wouldn't it be common courtesy to book a flight so you didn't have a tight connection and therefore not require everyone to waste their time just to accommodate you?

I'm jesting of course, but only partially. As I said, I see this on EVERY flight delayed more than 15 minutes and I'm so sick of it I don't pay attention to the announcement anymore. When people book a 35 minute connection in a large airport and the plane is on time only 70% of the time, they're going to miss that connection 1/3rd of the time. They played the odds and lost and that's their problem. I'm not wasting my time anymore because other people aren't responsible or intelligent enough to book their flights accordingly.

Of course when it's a two hour delay I'm more likely to accommodate those passengers. But I'm also damn impatient to get off the plane because two hours of my life was already wasted!
Old 06-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #74
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wouldn't it be common courtesy to book a flight so you didn't have a tight connection and therefore not require everyone to waste their time just to accommodate you?

I'm jesting of course, but only partially. As I said, I see this on EVERY flight delayed more than 15 minutes and I'm so sick of it I don't pay attention to the announcement anymore. When people book a 35 minute connection in a large airport and the plane is on time only 70% of the time, they're going to miss that connection 1/3rd of the time. They played the odds and lost and that's their problem. I'm not wasting my time anymore because other people aren't responsible or intelligent enough to book their flights accordingly.

Of course when it's a two hour delay I'm more likely to accommodate those passengers. But I'm also damn impatient to get off the plane because two hours of my life was already wasted!

I've been on flights where it goes either way. I'd say it's more like 2/3rds don't but 1/3rd do, but, again, a lot of my flights are in the Midwest.

Sometimes people are nice and let people by, sometimes they aren't. I've barely made flights, I've missed flights, and I've been stuck at an airport for 4 hours on a layover- it's the luck of the draw. Unless I'm on that tight connection or schedule, I'll let people by, personally. But if everyone else is getting up, I'll get up, too. It seems like there's a critical mass- if enough people don't bolt to the exits, everyone plays along and is nice. If a lot of people in those front rows rush into the aisle, there's no hope for the connectors.

However, I think, especially with increased airline consolidation, you end up with a lot of options of 45 minute connection or 4 hour connection with nothing inbetween. Personally, I can't remember the last time I did a sub 1 hour connection and I will actively avoid them at places like Atlanta or Chicago where your odds of making that connection are next to 0. Plus, there are a lot of places where you fly that you don't have the option of driving an hour to get to another airport. And one could argue it's another matter when it's a person's bucks they are putting towards travel versus company expenses: it's a little harder to argue when you're talking someone else's $250 to move your flight versus your own $1000 to change your family of 4's flight.

I'm just saying it's not quite as simple as you're making it out to be. And I disagree that it's not wholly on the people making the tight connections. If you're going to get up and block the way, you might be acting a little bit selfish and asshatish. But just like a lot of other people on that plane. (EDIT: And air travel just seems to bring out some of the worst in people).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-24-2014 at 01:15 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #75
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I've been on flights where it goes either way. I'd say it's more like 2/3rds don't but 1/3rd do, but, again, a lot of my flights are in the Midwest.

Sometimes people are nice and let people by, sometimes they aren't. I've barely made flights, I've missed flights, and I've been stuck at an airport for 4 hours on a layover- it's the luck of the draw. Unless I'm on that tight connection or schedule, I'll let people by, personally. But if everyone else is getting up, I'll get up, too. It seems like there's a critical mass- if enough people don't bolt to the exits, everyone plays along and is nice. If a lot of people in those front rows rush into the aisle, there's no hope for the connectors.

However, I think, especially with increased airline consolidation, you end up with a lot of options of 45 minute connection or 4 hour connection with nothing inbetween. Personally, I can't remember the last time I did a sub 1 hour connection and I will actively avoid them at places like Atlanta or Chicago where your odds of making that connection are next to 0. Plus, there are a lot of places where you fly that you don't have the option of driving an hour to get to another airport. And one could argue it's another matter when it's a person's bucks they are putting towards travel versus company expenses: it's a little harder to argue when you're talking someone else's $250 to move your flight versus your own $1000 to change your family of 4's flight.

I'm just saying it's not quite as simple as you're making it out to be. And I disagree that it's not wholly on the people making the tight connections. If you're going to get up and block the way, you might be acting a little bit selfish and asshatish. But just like a lot of other people on that plane. (EDIT: And air travel just seems to bring out some of the worst in people).

SI

No, it's not that simple. It's situational.

It's just that many times the tight connection is simply due to poor planning on the part of flyer. Poor planning on their part doesn't constitute an emergency upon mine. If you're booking the Cincy > La Guardia 6:00 PM flight that's on time only 19% of the time (no kidding), don't expect me to remain seated while you're trying to catch a tight connection.

I entirely agree that air travel makes most everyone just a little bit asshatish. It's a fairly miserable experience. I thought some older man was going to get into it with a Hispanic guy for "line cutting" last week...and they hadn't even boarded first class yet!

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-24-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #76
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

and I think the airlines should give us enough room so that this isn't an issue
Old 07-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #77
timmae
College Starter

Thank you TSA precheck! Painless security process... Crazy, I know!!
Old 07-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #78
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would like to extend this to baggage claim. You don't need to bust through a group of peopl to fling your bag from the carousel into my knees. The beauty of baggage claim is if you miss your bag it will roll back around in two minutes.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #79
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I would like to extend this to baggage claim. You don't need to bust through a group of peopl to fling your bag from the carousel into my knees. The beauty of baggage claim is if you miss your bag it will roll back around in two minutes.

I see the opposite problem all the time. Everyone crowding around the conveyor and laving no room to get to your bags.

If everyone takes 3 steps back you an step up one at a time grab your shit and haul...but no lets surround the weird moving belt thing and kill it.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #80
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae View Post
Thank you TSA precheck! Painless security process... Crazy, I know!!

If you wanted pain, you could have told them about the bomb they missed. Apparently, you can even do it and not end up facing charges.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #81
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Apparently, you can even do it and not end up facing charges.

Don't forget to become a pro athlete first. Skip that step and you are probably going to end up getting prosecuted.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #82
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Apparently, you can even do it and not end up facing charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Don't forget to become a pro athlete first. Skip that step and you are probably going to end up getting prosecuted.

It's all in the wording guys, make sure you phrase it correctly.

"Wow, quick pre-check, no wait, dis bomb!" Wrong!

"Wow, quick pre-check, no wait, dis IS DA bomb!" Correct
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #83
britrock88
Pro Starter

britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #84
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
13 If you are going to sleep on the flight, please remember my shoulder is not your fucking pillow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
13a. ...unless you're hot.

This almost happened to me, although I would like to amend it with another rule:

24. If you're in a three seat row and the aisle seat somehow becomes empty for the flight, the person in the middle seat doesn't get to stay in the middle seat and stretch their legs on the open aisle seat the whole flight while sleeping. At least move to the aisle seat and allow me some room to spread my legs from my window seat.

Was flying with my wife and child, but they had seats in the back since we booked so late and couldn't fly together. Instead, I had a random girl pretty much sleeping on my shoulder the whole flight. She just sat her feet up on the aisle seat and read a book until she fell asleep. She was hot, but even so, not cool.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #85
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ya, I always aim for 2+ hour layovers. 3 is even better if I can get it. I can always read a book. Not having the stress of missing your connection, especially on a vacation, is worth the time.

On a side tangent about airlines generally, last month I took a few flights on Air Serbia and Lufthansa. What a difference. The Air Serbia planes were old and had little overhead space, but you got a snack box with about 5 different things in it on a 90 minute flight, and you really only needed to get to the airport 45 minutes or so before your flight left. And a 10+ hour flight on Lufthansa is just a completely different experience form the equivalent on United.

I hate flying United back from europe which is what I get stuck on everytime..Compared to Lufthansa or even LOT the experience feels like flying a 3rd rate service.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #86
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
22. If you have eight members in your family and take up two whole rows and two of three seats in another row, don't put the car seat for your child in the row with another passenger.
A corollary to this rule: If you mom, dad and three kids are traveling together, it's no OK for mom and and dad to sit in the same row with the baby and leave the other two kids for me to baby sit in another row.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #87
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
A corollary to this rule: If you mom, dad and three kids are traveling together, it's no OK for mom and and dad to sit in the same row with the baby and leave the other two kids for me to baby sit in another row.

Preach it brotha!

Like Steam?

Old 07-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #88
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Yep.

I'm the guy that reclines the seat pretty much as soon as we level out. Most of the time I'm asleep for the first hour or so of any flight. I am not able to sleep without reclining ... I nod off and jerk awake as my head falls forward.

Sorry.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-03-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #89
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I've been on numerous planes where people stayed in their seats to let people with tight connections get off first, but it worked because the pilots made the announcement as we were taxiing to the gate, not before we took off. It probably also helped that a couple of those were coming out of the Bahamas where the Air Traffic Controllers were doing their usual takeoff slowdown, so it was understandable connections would be tight.

I've never seen this work on a Delta flight. I do let others go first most of the time (and have been thanked by flight attendants) but it doesn't work.

I think just before the plane gets to the gate the pilots and flight attendants have to be more proactive to orchestrate it.

1) Everyone, please stay seated
2) Those with tight connections please stand up
3) Those standing, please get into aisle
etc.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #90
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I recently flew back from California, a direct flight from LAX to IAD. I was in business first (originally ticketed as such), but they didn't sell all the seats so did some gate upgrades for people. The guy who ended up in the seat in front of me was a guy who either didn't shower regularly or if he did/does, didn't use soap. He also had apparently never heard of deodorant (or if he did, he was using that natural crap that doesn't actually work). He adjusted his air vent so it was blowing directly onto his face/head...meaning I routinely was getting face-fulls of his BO. Very shortly after takeoff, I saw him start to talk to the person sitting next to him even though she was putting in her headphones. You could tell she didn't want to talk, and based on the snippets I heard, he was engaging her on topics such as Hillary Clinton and complaints that our flight's delay means that he wouldn't be able to get a smoke in before his connecting flight (to somewhere in the Middle East). Then he leaned back and, in addition to not being able to use my tray (it wouldn't come out of the armrest with him leaning back), I got more face-fulls of his BO. I actually pushed him back to an upright position a few times.

Man that was miserable.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #91
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

Was flying with my wife and child, but they had seats in the back since we booked so late and couldn't fly together. Instead, I had a random girl pretty much sleeping on my shoulder the whole flight. She just sat her feet up on the aisle seat and read a book until she fell asleep. She was hot, but even so, not cool.

See this is an opportunity for the flight attendant to resolve, because you are supposed to remain buckled up while seated. If you have your feet up on a seat you are not buckled up correctly.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #92
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I don’t fly much and every time I do I’m reminded why I don’t .
Flying to philly this am for a quick day trip. What is with all the fawking giant purses. I swear to God I’ve been hot by 40 different ladies boarding this flight strutting down the aisle and swinging their bags wildly.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:25 AM   #93
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Flying to philly this am for a quick day trip. What is with all the fawking giant purses. I swear to God I’ve been hot by 40 different ladies boarding this flight strutting down the aisle and swinging their bags wildly.

Economics 101. Make checking bags expensive and people figure out ways to exploit the one carry-on, one personal item rule.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #94
Edward64
Head Coach

Forgot about this thread, good timing. I fly Delta pretty exclusively domestically and all we are is cattle.

I'll be flying international next weekend and looking forward to some better experience. It's Delta all the way but the international experience is much better.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #95
Edward64
Head Coach

Tangentially related. She slipped through the interview process.

Airport guard fired for slipping mean note to traveler
Quote:
A traveler passing through security at Rochester International Airport got an unexpected sick burn from an employee — when she handed him a folded-up note that said, “You ugly!!!”

Neal Strassner, 40, said he was handed the small, folded-up piece of brown paper by a female worker before collecting his things at the checkpoint in June.

He said he initially thought it was a piece of scrap cardboard or some trash.

“I didn’t open it because I didn’t care about it,” he told The Post. “She turned around a few times asking, ‘Are you going to open that?’”

When he finally did, he looked at it and saw the message. He said he just put it in his pocket and got on his plane to Kansas.

The guard can be seen doubling over with laughter as Strassner walks away, according to CCTV footage of the incident that Strassner got though a Freedom of Information Act request.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #96
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

That's a person that has no place in society. WTF? Is she 12?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #97
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Or how 'bout the d-bags with a full-size rolling bag, a backpack, and a laptop bag? How the hell do they carry this off as 'one item'? Saw this innumerable times the last time I flew.

Also, after all the special-boarding types, why do they not board from back to front? Not that the aforementioned a-holes will adhere to the system in any event, but wouldn't it make more sense to get the back seats filled up first?

Oh, and eff Delta.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #98
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post

Oh, and eff Delta.

I fully support this....unless they are getting me to work or home, then I'll close my eyes and hold my nose.

Like Steam?

Old 08-18-2019, 01:18 AM   #99
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
Or how 'bout the d-bags with a full-size rolling bag, a backpack, and a laptop bag? How the hell do they carry this off as 'one item'?

Given the war that airlines have declared on passenger luggage, anything that beats them at their own game is fair play afaic.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:30 AM   #100
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I think American is worse than Delta, though so much is through smaller carriers some of them might be the ones at fault.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote