Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-17-2024, 12:15 PM   #3451
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I live in the same place with the same people, and I know plenty of people who were raised around guns that are morons. As a matter of fact, the more certain gun owners fetishize guns, the more likely they are to pull then out in situations where they are not necessary. Their deep desire to be the "good guy with a gun" and be able to shoot someone "bad" scares the living crap out of me when I am around them, and I grew up with guns. I got my first shotgun at 10, and rifle at 12.

Like I said, “in my experience”.

I don’t like guns, would never own one and shouldn’t, as I have said before; however, it’s still my experience that the smaller the places that I have lived, the safer they have been. Those places have a higher percentage of the population carrying or with access to guns. I’ve lived all over Michigan, Florida, Washington, California, Texas, Indiana and near Chicago. I feel much safer in the areas with a legally armed populace. I’m not even arguing the politics of guns because nobody really changes their minds about anything anymore. I’m just saying that for me, I feel safer in those places. YMMV.

Last edited by Schmidty : 02-17-2024 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Doubled quote.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 01:09 PM   #3452
molson
General Manager

It seems like just in the last couple of decades gun ownership as an expression of politics has become more of a thing. Those people I worry about the most.

The people in the rural parts of my state have always been heavily armed for hunting, protecting livestock, home protection where there are no nearby police services etc. I feel very safe around them. I had to tell my New England parents, when they were visiting, not be alarmed in those rural areas if someone has their rifle over their shoulder out and about - they're not showing off, they're not expressing their 2nd amendment rights, they're working or hunting or between one or the other.

Then in a place like Boise you have another category that I never ran into anywhere else - the very well armed, liberal, gun-control supporting, firearm enthusiast. I haven't quite become one of them, but I've enjoyed shooting out in the desert with them (first time I ever touched a gun was out here in my 30s). They are certainly safety-first, have the guns for recreation, and also as a hedge against economic or climate change catastrophe. And really, with what we've experienced the last few years, being in Idaho with NO guns would make me feel kind vulnerable. I don't expect the complete fall of civilization in my lifetime or anything, but, a temporary or gradual emergency bringing about more dangerous conditions locally is much more likely. The party isn't going to last forever. If the pandemic was just a little worse, shipping and food supply would have been an issue. I think it makes sense to have some basic emergency preparations for that kind of thing, and firearms are a part of that.

Last edited by molson : 02-17-2024 at 01:12 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 01:32 PM   #3453
Edward64
Head Coach

There were guns everywhere in college. I know my friends had them in the dorm rooms. No big deal. But admittedly, those were different days.

Now in Georgia, I know there's conceal carry everywhere and no problems with that either. The last time I was a perturbed was when I saw open carry at my Kroger parking lot. It's your right but unnecessary.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 01:50 PM   #3454
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Like I said, “in my experience”.

I don’t like guns, would never own one and shouldn’t, as I have said before; however, it’s still my experience that the smaller the places that I have lived, the safer they have been. Those places have a higher percentage of the population carrying or with access to guns. I’ve lived all over Michigan, Florida, Washington, California, Texas, Indiana and near Chicago. I feel much safer in the areas with a legally armed populace. I’m not even arguing the politics of guns because nobody really changes their minds about anything anymore. I’m just saying that for me, I feel safer in those places. YMMV.

I think your assertion that the smaller a place is the safer it is might certainly be true, but attributing that to gun ownership seems like quite the leap. There is plenty of science that says the exact opposite, fwiw.

https://www.rand.org/research/gun-po...-policies.html

State gun laws, gun ownership, and mass shootings in the US: cross sectional time series | The BMJ

The burden of firearm violence in the United States: stricter laws result in safer states - PMC
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 02:49 PM   #3455
HerRealName
College Prospect

The crime rate in Brownwood is higher than the national average. The same is true for both violent crime and property crime. The number of sexual assaults in that town of less than 20K is atrocious.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 03:05 PM   #3456
RainMaker
General Manager

We don't have to judge it by vibes or anecdotes. America has the highest per capita civilian gun ownership in the world. It is also the most violent country in the first world.

People can like owning guns because it makes them feel better or it's a fun hobby. But it does not make your community safer. That's a statistical fact.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 04:33 PM   #3457
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
The crime rate in Brownwood is higher than the national average. The same is true for both violent crime and property crime. The number of sexual assaults in that town of less than 20K is atrocious.

I literally moved here to Early, TX (population 3,000 or so) yesterday. Today is day number 2. When I say small towns, I’m talking less than 5,000. Mostly less than 3,000. Where I lived in the Sierras of Northern California, the population was less than 500. Everyone had guns, including my in-laws, and there was zero crime.

This morning, I stopped at a gas station here in Early and the guy working at the register was carrying and then at the Red Wagon for breakfast, half the people there were too. I bet nobody goes in and robs those places.

I just
Old 02-17-2024, 04:58 PM   #3458
cuervo72
Head Coach

I mean, some places probably aren't going to get robbed very often because who the heck would go out there?
Old 02-17-2024, 04:59 PM   #3459
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

There you have it. Everyone carries, no crime. Similar to Deadwood in the 19th century.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 05:08 PM   #3460
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
I literally moved here to Early, TX (population 3,000 or so) yesterday. Today is day number 2. When I say small towns, I’m talking less than 5,000. Mostly less than 3,000. Where I lived in the Sierras of Northern California, the population was less than 500. Everyone had guns, including my in-laws, and there was zero crime.

This morning, I stopped at a gas station here in Early and the guy working at the register was carrying and then at the Red Wagon for breakfast, half the people there were too. I bet nobody goes in and robs those places.

I just

I hate being around people open carrying. I don't trust people not to lose their shit because a waitress forgot to bring ranch dressing or something. Awhile back, I left a dog park because a weird guy was there with his AR for no reason whatsoever. I hate it.

I hope you like it down there though. I've been through a few times on the way to Hill Country and have eaten at the Schlotzky's several times for some strange reason.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 05:18 PM   #3461
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I tend to think diners in rural 3K population towns are on the low-end risk for hold-ups, whether or not anyone has a gun in the place. That just doesn't scream "SCORE!" to me or, I imagine, most robbers.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 05:26 PM   #3462
Schmidty
Coordinator

I just noticed that my post got cut off.

“I just asked someone about Brownwood, and they said it has more to do with drugs than anything. Brownwood is on the way over to Abilene and is in the middle of a stretch of nothing. I don’t know and I don’t care. I doubt I’ll change your mind and I doubt you’ll change what I’ve experienced. My post is an observation.”

Like I said, it was an observation of where I’ve been and how safe I’ve felt. I don’t care if people want to mock me. Mock all you want. That’s the reason why I hate politics and would never join a party. I look at issues and vote based on them, not by party line bullshit. I’m all over the place based on my individual crazy beliefs. I’d be excommunicated from both parties. Some of my beliefs are very liberal and some are very conservative. I guess I’m weird. I just think politics create assholes, especially in the internet age. I disregard assholes and self-righteous mockery. As far as I’m concerned, people that clown other people’s views can go fuck themselves.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:38 PM   #3463
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I tend to think diners in rural 3K population towns are on the low-end risk for hold-ups, whether or not anyone has a gun in the place. That just doesn't scream "SCORE!" to me or, I imagine, most robbers.

Even in a small town, meth, benzodiazepines and opioids will make people do a lot of things. That’s the problem in smaller areas: drugs, not guns.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:45 PM   #3464
JPhillips
General Manager

Yeah, my small hometown doesn't have much in the way of gun violence but there's a shit ton of drug-related theft.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:46 PM   #3465
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I just

I don't think data is available for 2023 yet. But in 2022, Early, Texas had a higher homicide rate than Chicago.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:40 PM   #3466
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
I just noticed that my post got cut off.

“I just asked someone about Brownwood, and they said it has more to do with drugs than anything. Brownwood is on the way over to Abilene and is in the middle of a stretch of nothing. I don’t know and I don’t care. I doubt I’ll change your mind and I doubt you’ll change what I’ve experienced. My post is an observation.”

Like I said, it was an observation of where I’ve been and how safe I’ve felt. I don’t care if people want to mock me. Mock all you want. That’s the reason why I hate politics and would never join a party. I look at issues and vote based on them, not by party line bullshit. I’m all over the place based on my individual crazy beliefs. I’d be excommunicated from both parties. Some of my beliefs are very liberal and some are very conservative. I guess I’m weird. I just think politics create assholes, especially in the internet age. I disregard assholes and self-righteous mockery. As far as I’m concerned, people that clown other people’s views can go fuck themselves.
Nobodies mocking you, Schimidty. You are giving an opinion based on a feeling, and that's fine. As for me, I am as well. I am in and out of houses all the time of gun owners. I see the gun sitting on the nightstand, the one sitting by the sofa, the AR-15 loaded and propped up next to the window encase of an invasion, and the children's toys in every room. The chances a kid is killed by one of those guns is many times higher than the chance they will ever use it for protection. I do not trust the reasoning of the average gun enthusiast.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:19 AM   #3467
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't think data is available for 2023 yet. But in 2022, Early, Texas had a higher homicide rate than Chicago.

Links?

From early googling I find that in 2022 Chicago's murder rate was almost three times that of Texas.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 02-18-2024 at 06:57 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 12:19 PM   #3468
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Links?

From early googling I find that in 2022 Chicago's murder rate was almost three times that of Texas.

You were talking about small towns and mentioned Early. There was 1 murder in Early in 2022 which makes their murder rate higher than Chicago and most major cities.

I would also add that for Texas and all its guns, it is considerably more dangerous than the state of New York and California in terms of homicide rate.

There is really no statistic out there that shows more guns means less murders. Not mocking you either, those are just the statistics. If guns made communities safer, we should he the safest country in the world.
Old 02-18-2024, 02:30 PM   #3469
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
…That’s the reason why I hate politics and would never join a party. I look at issues and vote based on them, not by party line bullshit. I’m all over the place based on my individual crazy beliefs. I’d be excommunicated from both parties. Some of my beliefs are very liberal and some are very conservative. I guess I’m weird. I just think politics create assholes, especially in the internet age…

To me that’s a sensible viewpoint (maybe that makes me crazy too though TBF ). I do lean one side of centre, but every election look at how the party in power has done, what the alternative is and what both stand for.

In the UK this year this means there’s only one choice: our current government has been in dead-man-walking mode for at least a year now.

There’s no point in blindly following one group regardless of what they say and do just because they wear blue/red - that’s crazy

Last edited by AlexB : 02-18-2024 at 02:31 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 03:54 PM   #3470
BYU 14
Coordinator

I feel the same way Schmidty, I take parties out of it and rank candidates by how they align most to my beliefs, which are very moderate. I guess some people's views align perfectly with parties and that's fine, just doesn't work for me.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:04 PM   #3471
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

When you folks say you pick candidates based on how they align to your beliefs, do you mean what they espouse to be their beliefs, or what they end up voting for in Congress (or wherever)? Because sometimes those things are surprisingly different.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:21 PM   #3472
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 02-18-2024, 11:41 PM   #3473
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Yet another shooting by gun yahoos

This one they took out cops and paramedics after calling in.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 02-18-2024 at 11:43 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 03:31 AM   #3474
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So it seems the winning answer of the "what was the motive of the KC shooting?" was that golden oldie...Gang Violence.

Fuck all those punks death penatly the lot of them, even the teens.

Punks diss one guy saying "what are you looking at", then punk goes up and starts pointing fingers at them, then drawing a gun, then one chases another unarmed guy and they all take out guns and start firing.

FUCK THEM ALL!
Old 02-22-2024, 08:28 PM   #3475
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
When you folks say you pick candidates based on how they align to your beliefs, do you mean what they espouse to be their beliefs, or what they end up voting for in Congress (or wherever)? Because usually those things are surprisingly different.

Fixed it for you
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 06:26 PM   #3476
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The armorer in the Baldwin case was convicted today of involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced to 18 months in jail.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 07:03 PM   #3477
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The armorer in the Baldwin case was convicted today of involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced to 18 months in jail.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Old 03-06-2024, 08:28 PM   #3478
Edward64
Head Coach

I do believe majority of fault lies with her.

Baldwin should never have been handed a weapon with real bullets.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:59 PM   #3479
JPhillips
General Manager

Baldwin has problems as the producer, but actors should never do anything with a weapon that they aren't told to do. Actors checking guns is much less safe long-term.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:38 PM   #3480
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

whoa of COURSE it wasn't baldwin's fault. Collectively there is always supposed to be everyone making sure all guns are safe. I've used starter pistols before in theatre and have seen similar used. I have frequently seen safety issues around fake guns ignored....especially when you deal with moronic community theatres and such. I am sad because it sucks that someone is going to jail for this too because it is a heartbreaking issue. An accident. WHY THE HELL IS THERE A REAL BULLET ON A SET?!~?!? THERE NEEDS TO BE AN INVESTIGATION into this. If you use replicas if you use real authentic historical pieces (which you really shouldn't because they could explode and break at any time) It's just horrible. Really that's also why it is said you should NEVER point a gun at anyone even if it is fake. You point it so that it looks like you are pointing it. However camera people ....that's something harder to work around. I seriously would like to hear details of this before I rant any more as I don't really know much. Just sad
Old 03-07-2024, 08:57 AM   #3481
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I do believe majority of fault lies with her.

Baldwin should never have been handed a weapon with real bullets.

Personal responsibility. He did it. I’ve only fired off rounds twice in my life. When I was 10. My father figure had me shoot a .22 which was easy, and then a .44 magnum, which knocked me to the ground onto my ass. I wasn’t ready, and at that point wasn’t accountable as an adult. But if I were accountable and adult, and fired off a .44 and accidentally killed somebody, do you believe that my affluence and fame should save me from at least a manslaughter charge?

Is it because he fits a certain stereotype that is easy?

Last edited by Schmidty : 03-07-2024 at 08:59 AM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 09:39 AM   #3482
Edward64
Head Coach

He definitely shares blame. But the armorer has more, call it 80-20, 70-30.

It is reasonable to assume, acting on a set, if the armorer gives you a weapon to assume it’s not loaded with a real bullet.

Now if Baldwin knew there were live rounds, that is different. I don’t believe he did.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:12 AM   #3483
JPhillips
General Manager

Gun handling on a set is very regimented and the last thing you want is individuals taking it upon themselves to alter the weapon in any way. Actors are taught to take the gun only from the armorer or armorer's assistant, never open or alter the gun, never leave it outside of your possession, only point it where told to point it, and return it to the armorer or assistant as soon as the scene is over.

That puts all the responsibility into the hands of the armorer and that's the most safe procedure. Actors get fired for stepping outside the processes established by the armorer. I know I wouldn't stay on a set where anybody has the freedom to examine and alter the weapons.

Again, as a producer, Baldwin is responsible for the way the set ran, but as an actor, his job is to do as little with the weapon as possible.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:18 AM   #3484
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I disagree with the jail time. Not every tragedy requires someone going to jail. What exactly does it accomplish? Just bar the armorer from working as an armorer or something.

Baldwin should absolutely be sued as the producer and I'm pretty sure he has been.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:51 AM   #3485
Schmidty
Coordinator

Great responses about Baldwin.

I do believe that he is monetarily and executively responsible, and that the “armorer” is responsible; however, perhaps the rich, white liberal guy who clicks all of the boxes, had control and just said, “Fuck it” and killed should be more at risk of litigation than the person that didn’t have all of that and just fucked up. Should she be prosecuted and convicted. Of course.

But maybe we should stop giving joke decisions to people simply because they have money and are good for Your agenda.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:44 PM   #3486
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Why does it matter that he's rich, white, and liberal?

Is there a sliding scale based on demographics?

If Chuck Norris shot and killed someone on set would it be OK because "it's Chuck Norris, what did you think was going to happen?"
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:00 PM   #3487
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Why does it matter that he's rich, white, and liberal?

If Chuck Norris shot and killed someone on set would it be OK because "it's Chuck Norris, what did you think was going to happen?"

it fits his narrative
Old 03-07-2024, 07:09 PM   #3488
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Great responses about Baldwin.

I do believe that he is monetarily and executively responsible, and that the “armorer” is responsible; however, perhaps the rich, white liberal guy who clicks all of the boxes, had control and just said, “Fuck it” and killed should be more at risk of litigation than the person that didn’t have all of that and just fucked up. Should she be prosecuted and convicted. Of course.

But maybe we should stop giving joke decisions to people simply because they have money and are good for Your agenda.

Quote:
Why does it matter that he's rich, white, and liberal?f

Come on. You ain’t dumb.

Clicked into what clicks the box for YOU perhaps?
Old 03-07-2024, 07:30 PM   #3489
RainMaker
General Manager

The armorer is responsible. I don't know what the proper punishment is. But her actions led to the death.

Baldwin is trickier. Was he careless? Did he do something that was reckless on set? If he followed all protocols and they just gave him a gun with a live bullet, I don't know how he deserves the blame. There is a video they played in court where he does seem a bit aggressive. But still, it probably doesn't cross your mind that there are real bullets even on set.

I don't think Baldwin's status has helped him in any way. I think if you're looking at a lens like that, the issue is why do people like the armorer get charged and sent to prison for involuntary manslaughter but the Sackler family doesn't? There is definitely a level you reach where you are no longer responsible for anything you ever do.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:04 AM   #3490
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Holiday Mass Shooting comin at you

chevron-right