Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-22-2022, 02:40 PM   #901
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Has anyone checked up on Tarcone to make sure he's okay?
Old 10-22-2022, 02:45 PM   #902
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sack and fumble, that's number eight for Miami.
Old 10-22-2022, 03:25 PM   #903
bob
College Starter

Miami's last 5 possessions after taking a 21-17 lead:

Turnover on Downs
Fumble
Interception
Interception returned for a Touchdown
Fumble

I have never seen a team turn the ball over eight times

Plus twice more on downs
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 04:44 PM   #904
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
It's getting larger. Room for everyone!

It was just fun to watch a them in a big time college football game again.

When I was a student there Donovan McNabb was beating Temple and Rutgers by 50 during the early part of the season, and then they'd blow it in bizarre fashion against Miami or Virginia Tech or a big non-conference opponent like Tennessee later in the season. Those games felt a lot like this one.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 05:03 PM   #905
Edward64
Head Coach

Pretty good Ole Miss vs LSU game

EDIT: wow, nice one handed interception by LSU in the red zone

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-22-2022 at 05:05 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 05:43 PM   #906
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Doesn't look like we are going to have to worry about 4 one loss SEC teams/
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 05:48 PM   #907
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ole Miss got exposed, which was kind of always a possibility.

If they can't run, they're screwed. And while I ain't sold on Dart at all, this one goes mostly on a OL that couldn't have blocked my mother today.

And their defense has just been looking for a place to get exposed fully all year anyway.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:16 PM   #908
tarcone
Coordinator

I was reffing BB today. Looked exactly like I thought it would. Defense outscores the offense again.

An Ohio St. beat writer finally asked KF the question: Why are you hanging onto BF (paraphrased)

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 06:37 PM   #909
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The thing I didn't expect was 6 Iowa turnovers. That's ... not who they usually are, to put it mildly.

BTW the take from the Michigan homers is 'Stroud didn't look very good against Iowa, made a bunch of mistakes. We're going to thump OSU, look what we did to Penn State.' I'm a Michigan guy, and I almost want us to lose big now because of these kinds of fans. There's a real aspect of 'Hah! We beat the Buckeyes last year, it's a new era of Michigan football dominance!'

Slow down there turbo. On balance, I still have Ohio State in that one.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-22-2022 at 06:40 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:14 PM   #910
Swaggs
Coordinator

West Virginia with their biggest loss since 1950, losing to unranked Texas Tech 48-10. I don’t expect us to be battling for the playoffs every year, but this has been awful. Especially with teams like TTech, Kansas St, TCU, and Kansas with 1st and 2nd year coaches looking worlds better than us in year 4 with Neal Brown.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:16 PM   #911
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
West Virginia with their biggest loss since 1950, losing to unranked Texas Tech 48-10. I don’t expect us to be battling for the playoffs every year, but this has been awful. Especially with teams like TTech, Kansas St, TCU, and Kansas with 1st and 2nd year coaches looking worlds better than us in year 4 with Neal Brown.

I'm not sure how they could possibly justify bringing him back for another year but there really isn't anyone out there that excites me as a replacement.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:55 PM   #912
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Exactly like you thought it would? Uh huh
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 10:23 PM   #913
Edward64
Head Coach

Looked it up, Duke has now beaten Miami 3 of last 5.

First year for Cristobal so have to cut him some slack.
Old 10-22-2022, 11:41 PM   #914
bronconick
College Starter

Jimbo Fisher better be sending Jameis Winston Christmas and birthday gifts every year, because without him, he's an offensive coordinator at East Carolina right now instead of having $90 million+ in guaranteed money losing 4+ games at A&M.

Last edited by bronconick : 10-22-2022 at 11:41 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 11:44 PM   #915
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's delicious. Although he recruited a super team with like 20 NFL players on the 2013 team. Ramsey and James in the secondary alone is ridiculous.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:47 AM   #916
Edward64
Head Coach

The Hogs beat BYU last week so this hurts our SoS, but congrats to Liberty.

EDIT: uh oh. Just realized the Hogs meet Liberty in week after next.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-23-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:47 PM   #917
tarcone
Coordinator

Last time tOSU beat Iowa that badly was 1975. Everything about this season screams 1975.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:24 PM   #918
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I want to know who the person was who was convinced by the Syracuse game to put Clemson #1.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-23-2022 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 10:39 PM   #919
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I want to know who the person was who was convinced by the Syracuse game to put Clemson #1.

According to this site, Jon Wilner - San Jose Mercury News is your guy

Football Grid View :: College Poll Tracker :: Breaking down college polls every week of the season.
Old 10-23-2022, 10:55 PM   #920
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks. Now I'm even more confused.

Had Clemson at #4 after they beat Wake. Beating NC State bumped them up to #2. Beating Florida State by six and Syracuse by six, second one a game they should have lost, convinces you they are #1. Georgia and Ohio State did less the last two weeks? One of those wins was better than Tennessee beating Alabama (had Tennessee at #1 previously)?

My brain can't compute this.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:38 AM   #921
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Could there be some body of work stuff going on? Most but not everyone does the beauty pageant thing where we just look at how a team has done the last couple of weeks to move a team up or down. But there are a handful of writers who have a more complicated system.

Like are Ohio State's or Georgia's or Alabama's strength of schedule going down while Clemson's is going up? Even though both Alabama did the typical SEC thing of one real game and 3 total cream puffs to go along with only 8 conference games, the Texas win is holding up ok-ish. Georgia's Oregon win just keeps looking better. Ohio State's Notre Dame win, well, hm... not so hot.

That said, I don't see anything really propping Clemson up. Syracuse's win against Purdue looks a bit better. But it's not like the ACC, as a whole, is suddenly looking stronger.

This is a lot of words to agree and say "Yeah, no idea."

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #922
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wilner explains

Quote:
*** Clemson jumped into the top spot following its victory over Syracuse which, this year, counts as a quality win.

The result elevates the Tigers’ overall body of work: They have three wins over teams in the latest AP poll and four over teams with winning records.

*** Tennessee dropped one rung, to No. 2, despite its dominating victory over Tennessee-Martin.

Like Clemson, the Volunteers also possess a first-class resume, although the value of their early-season win over Pittsburgh decreased with the Panthers’ loss this weekend to Louisville.

AP top-25 ballot: Clemson is No. 1, followed by Tennessee and Georgia
Old 10-24-2022, 11:01 AM   #923
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Lol @ me as I totally forgot to include Tennessee because I'm just assuming they're going to trip up somewhere along the way

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 12:39 PM   #924
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Wilner explains

I can only assume he doesn't care how the team won those games, only that they won. I find it hard to call a game in which you turn the ball over 4 times at home and are down by 11 after three quarters a 'quality win'.

Apparently he doesn't. All those wins are by 6-10 points. Give Clemson credit for winning them, sure. But what it tells me is Clemson is barely better than those teams.
Old 10-24-2022, 12:50 PM   #925
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can only assume he doesn't care how the team won those games, only that they won. I find it hard to call a game in which you turn the ball over 4 times at home and are down by 11 after three quarters a 'quality win'.

Apparently he doesn't. All those wins are by 6-10 points. Give Clemson credit for winning them, sure. But what it tells me is Clemson is barely better than those teams.

At some point it ends up being "by degrees" though. That "dominating" win by Tennessee on Saturday featured them giving up just shy of 400 yards to UT-Martin. Granted, as lesser opponents go they're better than average but even with backups in the secondary, that's a lot of yards to be giving up if you're a legitimate #2 - #4 team in the country

Simiarly, tOSU's offensive output was less than eyepopping for most of the day on Saturday. And UGAg's issue are pretty well documented.

I don't think Clemson would better than upper mid-table in the B12 this year ... but frankly ain't nobody looking truly great to this point either
Old 10-24-2022, 12:58 PM   #926
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Oh I agree with all of that, but I think it's obvious that the issues Clemson has had and the issues Georgia and Ohio State have had for example are not even in the same area code. It's almost never the case that there's a team that goes out and destroys everybody. At the same time you can see patterns.

The biggest thing to me though is giving them positive credit for something like the Syracuse game. That's the kind of game that to my mind you have to look at as a blemish on a top team's body of work. It's not one that enhances it.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:42 PM   #927
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I think it was a positive. They got smacked by a previously-undefeated team (though one that hadn't played a top 20 team yet), lost the turnover battle badly, made adjustments at halftime and took control of the game, running for nearly 300 yards. Syracuse didn't even threaten to score in the second half.

We shouldn't get too consumed by the score.

So what do you do when teams plays such widely variant schedules? Look at Oregon. Class of the Pac-12 now, that's clear. But when they went up against Georgia, it wasn't pretty. Ohio State hasn't played anyone tougher than Notre Dame, which isn't the same Notre Dame as last year. Michigan has dominated every game, but the scores don't all reflect that, plus their non-conference schedule ended up being laughable, for once.

It takes 10-12 games before you get a good picture of all of this. I find myself uninterested in the rankings themselves at this point. Why even try and separate Michigan and Ohio State when they play each other in a month?

It's easy to imagine the scenario at the end with three one-loss SEC teams all in the playoff, despite one not playing in the SEC championship. That seems to be the bigger problem. Maybe they all deserve to considered playoff-worthy. Once the playoff door was opened, the lack of a balanced schedule made it a beauty contest regardless.

If we need to settle all this, then let's drop the pretensions that this is an amateur sport, pay the players, get a CBA, and draw up a new league with a balanced schedule, no more non-power-five opponents, and do it properly.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:12 PM   #928
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I agree that it will mostly sort itself out. I'm not overly exercised by the rankings in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
I think it was a positive. They got smacked by a previously-undefeated team (though one that hadn't played a top 20 team yet), lost the turnover battle badly, made adjustments at halftime and took control of the game, running for nearly 300 yards. Syracuse didn't even threaten to score in the second half.

Depends on who you are comparing them against. If we're talking about Clemson being 15th or something, yes. They played well in the second half, but it's getting themselves in that position in the first place, at home, that is problematic. That more than wipes out any measure of playing better in the second half. It's overall as bad a showing as any Top 5 team has had in any game. .02

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-24-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 03:07 PM   #929
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A broader than usual episode, in which every SEC team visits a shrink
SEC Shorts - SEC teams go to therapy - YouTube
Old 10-24-2022, 03:30 PM   #930
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
A broader than usual episode, in which every SEC team visits a shrink
SEC Shorts - SEC teams go to therapy - YouTube

lol - fantastic
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:45 PM   #931
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
lol - fantastic

They rarely miss.
Old 10-28-2022, 04:21 PM   #932
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

BREAKING NEWS: Vince Dooley, Georgia football coach with most wins, dies at age 90
Old 10-29-2022, 08:30 AM   #933
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs vs Auburn. The line is Hogs by 3. Both at SEC 1-3.

Also just noticed that our leading rusher "Rocket" Sanders is at #9 for rushing yards. 7 games for 870 yards, so 124 per game average. Pretty decent all things considered.
Old 10-29-2022, 08:51 AM   #934
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina travels to West Virginia to play Marshall for the first time tonight at 7:00 on NFL Network. They had a week off after their first loss of the season, hopefully that's given they some time to regroup.

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-29-2022 at 02:35 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 01:01 PM   #935
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oh those early ACC games.

Scintillating football lemme tell ya.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:11 PM   #936
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Miami baseball is traditionally pretty good, but have underperformed as of late. I'm glad to see they got a 3 run homer to take an early lead over Virginia.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 01:27 PM   #937
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Miami baseball is traditionally pretty good, but have underperformed as of late. I'm glad to see they got a 3 run homer to take an early lead over Virginia.

Yeah, but the middle innings relief is shaky
Old 10-29-2022, 01:34 PM   #938
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Hogs vs Auburn. The line is Hogs by 3. Both at SEC 1-3.

Also just noticed that our leading rusher "Rocket" Sanders is at #9 for rushing yards. 7 games for 870 yards, so 124 per game average. Pretty decent all things considered.

Nice 76 yard run by Sanders. 171 yards so far in 3Q

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-29-2022 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:52 PM   #939
Edward64
Head Coach

Go Penn State!

Hogs are doing a good job running the ball. Hogs up 31-13 and threatening again

EDIT: 38-13. Time to bring in QB2 with about 7 min to play

EDIT: damnit, KJ is still in. Our QB2 need experience

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-29-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 02:14 PM   #940
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Penn State takes the lead in the fourth quarter. Six plays later (three OSU plays, a PSU run, a sack/fumble, one more OSU play), Ohio State has two touchdowns and looks good for 8-0.
Old 10-29-2022, 02:59 PM   #941
Atocep
Coordinator

Neal Brown is so bad I'm not completely against bringing Rich Rod back at this point.

And Shane Lyons needs to go as well. Every sport except baseball has gotten worse with him running the athletic department.

Lets not listen to Saban on hiring decisions anymore.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 04:04 PM   #942
Edward64
Head Coach

Good game by the Hogs. We did bring in QB2 in next series and promptly got like 3 penalties. Expect to get a couple more votes for Top-25 but we’ll have to beat Liberty and LSU before we have a real shot.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:10 PM   #943
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That was enough for me to knock Ohio State off of the #1 spot. I'm back in 'Georgia, I guess?' but who really knows territory.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:18 PM   #944
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So....Oklahoma State is #9 in what category exactly?
Old 10-29-2022, 05:22 PM   #945
Edward64
Head Coach

Yeah, saw that. They being taken out to the woodshed.

They did beat Baylor and Texas, and didn't lose too badly to TCU.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:29 PM   #946
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Wake Forest had 5 TOs all season. They had 6 TOs in the THIRD QUARTER ALONE and gave up 35 points to Louisville. It's 48-14.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 05:39 PM   #947
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Illinois may not have an impressive offense, but their defense has showed up every game. The way they're going, they could well represent the West even with two losses (which assumes they lose to Michigan).

Ofc not having Penn State or Ohio State on the schedule helps, but still.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-29-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:44 PM   #948
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Iowa with a season-high 33 against Northwestern. Ohio State gets Northwestern next week. Could hit triple figures.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:03 PM   #949
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Michigan has fieldgoalitis. Probably good enough for today, but it'll be a problem if they play like this against better teams.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:09 PM   #950
bronconick
College Starter

They'll be down 28-16 to OSU in the third if they try that in Columbus.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote