lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
For the love of God, bet to win.

preach
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 06:57 PM   #753
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The current champ seems like he could be around for awhile.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:44 PM   #754
QuikSand
lolzcat

He's a solid player and getting comfortable.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:02 PM   #755
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Spoilers for tonight's Tournament of Champions Episodes:

Going into Final Jeopardy, $17.4K, $17.4K, $4200.

Obviously the third place player has to wager everything and hope the other two bet big (and wrong). But what's the play if you're tied?

Bet it all, or bet enough to leave you ahead of third place even if you're wrong and third place is right? (where if the other first place person bets bigger, they will win.)

Spoiler
Old 11-02-2022, 07:15 PM   #756
Ksyrup

I was yelling at the TV when they couldn't answer 4 of the 5 MLB questions, and then didn't know who Robin Zander and Rick Nielson were.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-02-2022, 08:15 PM   #757
JPhillips
General Manager

Bet big. If you're in first and you get it right you should never end up worse than tied. I can live with not knowing the answer. I can't live with knowing the answer and still losing.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:20 PM   #758
cuervo72
Head Coach

Haven't watched any of the ToC yet...are there not still wildcard spots for the top four non-winners? If it's the old format standing pat on $17,400 wouldn't be crazy.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:31 PM   #759
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nope. Winner take all, all being spot in the semifinals (except $5000 for 2nd and third)

edit: Here's the format (with spoilers for past episodes)

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-...ment-champions

18 play in round 1, 6 winners advance
6 Round 1 winners+3 Byes (top seeds/winners), 3 winners advance to the final
Best of seven finals (in that you have to win 3 times to win the Tournament)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-02-2022 at 08:35 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:32 PM   #760
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Thursday's board seemed a world different. And the first real contender for the title.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:36 PM   #761
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Thursday's board seemed a world different. And the first real contender for the title.

+1
Old 11-19-2022, 09:04 AM   #762
QuikSand
lolzcat

**** 2022 Tournament of Champions SPOILERS to follow ****
Old 11-19-2022, 09:12 AM   #763
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, we have had 5 games this far in this best-of-7 contest, and the endgame has played an outsized role. Both the question selection, and the wagering strategy.

On the former front... I don't know how to articulate this ideally, but it feels frustrating to have, in this specific high stakes setting with three very capable players, a FJ question that feels (obviously to me) like a flat out stumper. Maybe the question writers are somehow unable to sense that with any reliability, but... for the most part, in most situations, a stumper FJ just favors the second place finisher. And that feels... unjust, to me.

On the latter... after 5 games, and some consequential aggressive DJ wagering by Andrew in particular, the "correct outcome" feels like a quiet loser to me. I know this is adding my own judgment here, but it's been awfully frustrating. In Game 4, in particular, Sam was in 2nd place facing FJ and the question turned out to be a stumper... but he inexplicably wagered all his money and gave away what should have been a win, had he followed what I judge to be the obvious wagering strategy in that situation. That felt like his last shot to get a win, but then in Game 5 Amy inexplicably decided to NOT make the standard bet-to-win wager in that game, and her agonized face corresponded not to her being stumped, but her realizing the response was indeed gettable and her wager was going to cost her the game, which it did.

I know J! has been built on more than merely racking up total correct responses, and the wagering is a beloved part of the game. I still feel like we're being slighted when it plays what feels to me like an outsized role, even in this stretched-out format built not only to maximize suspense/ratings but in theory to lessen the short term randomness it creates.

It's been a fun tournament, but frustrating for the cant-help-ourselves crowd who dwells on this kind of thing.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:16 AM   #764
QuikSand
lolzcat

I am glad, I will say, that the disappointing losses by 2 of the 3 seeded super-champions could have yielded a really disappointing final three... but the group has been very interesting to watch. Andrew's "true DD" wagering strategy is a fun wrinkle, Sam is a very likeable guy, and while I think if this were a best-of-infinity series Amy is the best player by a reasonable margin, the other two are just good enough to keep this pretty lively.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:17 AM   #765
QuikSand
lolzcat

Daily box scores for those who celebrate

Jeopardata | Jeopardy.com
Old 11-19-2022, 09:51 AM   #766
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I wanted Sam to win Friday because he's not the caliber of player who deserves to be shutout in the ToC but when Andrew hit back-to-back DDs I jumped out of my chair because I thought I was about to witness an all-time Jeopardy moment Unfortunately it didn't happen.

On the plus side...Sam ensures we get another game!

Unrelated but I think Sam may be the Jeopardy contestant I would most love to get a beer with. It seems like he would be so entertaining and a joy to meet. Creepy to fly to Northern California right now to ask, right?

Also, this new format is amazing.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 11:41 AM   #767
Kodos
Resident Alien

Was happy to see Sam get a win. Amy must be kicking herself.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:27 PM   #768
Ksyrup

Sam is awesome.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:51 AM   #769
cuervo72
Head Coach

Not to put retroactive pressure on the guy, but it looks like Yogesh Raut is a contestant on Wed's program. This could be interesting.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:32 AM   #770
QuikSand
lolzcat

Yogesh is a good player, but I have never, ever felt raw refined smugness through the TV set like I do with this fucking guy
Old 01-13-2023, 10:49 AM   #771
JPhillips
General Manager

Yah, he's maybe the ost unlikable guy to ever win.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:53 AM   #772
cuervo72
Head Coach

lol

Yeah, I dunno. I think there is some of that, but I think there is maybe some awkwardness as well. I've listened to some of his podcasts and he comes across a bit better there, I think. I'd like to see his run continue for a while to see if he loosens up a bit.

BUT...I don't know if that will happen. Rumor has it that Troy Meyer (or in LL nomenclature, MeyerT) is on the show next week (Thur?). One, he's every bit as good as Yogesh. Two, I feel like they know each other somewhat (MeyerT has been on his podcast, and I think have been on quizzing teams together -- along with GroceV [yikes!]). I thought there were rules forbidding playing against people you know (Ken wrote about this preventing someone from getting on during his run), so...
Old 01-13-2023, 11:02 AM   #773
QuikSand
lolzcat

i see how it is with you LL elitists, already circling the wagons around your guy
Old 01-13-2023, 11:09 AM   #774
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hah. Well, Andrew Whatley (Wed) is also in LL, and Kyle Daly (Thur) may be as well (if DalyKH is him). So is Michael Cavaliere from today's episode. It almost seems a rarity when there's a show w/o one.

For me a lot of this is I know this guy has an insane knowledge base, I would like to see how it translates. I'm actually a bit concerned, given buzzer troubles and some very hesitant DD betting.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:23 AM   #775
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, I actually watched the Celebrity episode last night (generally I've not been). Patton Oswalt against Candace Parker and some run-of-the-mill pretty TV actress. It was...not competitive. I think as a general rule, nerdy middle-aged comedian types do pretty well with easy mode Jeopardy! (see Richter, Andy, though yes I know he lost his latest Celeb match).
Old 01-13-2023, 11:24 AM   #776
Kodos
Resident Alien

Does Yogesh remind anyone else of Jon Lovitz?
Old 01-13-2023, 11:25 AM   #777
Kodos
Resident Alien

The celeb Jeopardy contestants seem to be embarrassingly bad at Jeopardy for the most part.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-13-2023 at 11:25 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:51 AM   #778
Ksyrup

I assume Ken's playing dumb about not knowing this guy's background? I mean, I have never heard of him before but I don't follow trivia quiz people and their histories. But he's someone you'd think Ken would have run across.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:07 PM   #779
cuervo72
Head Coach

He has to, he is at least somewhat familiar with the trivia circuit (there are names from LL that I recognize now which were in Ken's first book) and was in LearnedLeague for a long time; unless he totally ignored anything but the questions (which is certainly possible) he might have bumped up against the name. The 2020 Championship for example. Some familiar names from that were GroceV[ictoria] (6th, The Chase), JacksonM[att] (7th, Jeopardy!), Yogesh (9th), RutterB (12th, Jeopardy!), SchneiderA2 (yes, that's Amy - 40th), JenningsK (50th).

Troy Meyer won the thing, fwiw.

It does seem that J! is all-in on this superchampion thing though, with another "event" coming up (essentially the ToC notables from last season + James). With recent casting it seems like they are actively making an attempt to call in ringers, if you ask me.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:33 PM   #780
JPhillips
General Manager

Good to see Yogesh handle losing with grace and charm.

What a fucking meltdown.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:29 PM   #781
Ksyrup

I haven't seen the aftermath but just the way he acted on stage when he lost - everyone is usually really gracious, whether they are a 20-time winner or 1-timer. He more or less just stood there steaming, didn't give a crap what was going on around him.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:33 PM   #782
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Rumor has it that Troy Meyer (or in LL nomenclature, MeyerT) is on the show next week (Thur?). One, he's every bit as good as Yogesh. Two, I feel like they know each other somewhat (MeyerT has been on his podcast, and I think have been on quizzing teams together -- along with GroceV [yikes!]). I thought there were rules forbidding playing against people you know (Ken wrote about this preventing someone from getting on during his run), so...

Well... Troy is aboard now. He's very solid and goofy-likeable.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:29 PM   #783
QuikSand
lolzcat

Suddenly feeling nostalgic for a likable champ like Rogesh…
Old 01-27-2023, 07:50 PM   #784
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, yeah. This dude annoyed me greatly. Would have liked Troy to stick around longer, certainly.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:42 AM   #785
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, the thing with Jake that bothered me though wasn't his celebration, it was his weird facial contortions, body language, and overall fidgetiness. I hate to be critical, but he seemed like the type of guy that if you met him in a social situation...well, I'll leave it at that.

I think Troy probably got tired by the end of the taping day. For one, he was using a chair in the final two games. Two, he just didn't seem quite as sharp. Yogesh also mentioned that he hadn't gotten on until he was past his quizzing prime (38) -- it's not like these guys haven't been trying a while. He probably has a point though. I know that in doing my trivia study (yes, study -- more on that) there are times of the day where I am sharp, others...not so much. Also with watching Jeopardy! -- if my brain is fried at the end of the day, I play along a lot worse. Same goes for watching too many episodes at a time; 3 is about the limit. I can't imagine having to stay mentally sharp for an entire taping day.

Re: LL -- yeah, I thought myself pretty decent with trivia too going in, and found soon enough that there was a ton of stuff I either didn't know, or had learned 25 years before and forgotten. It's why I was hesitant to join first too. In my fourth season I answered exactly 50% of the questions.

Of course I am competitive, so I strived to get better. On the LL boards there was a thread on how to do that; some like Matt Jackson (quizzing background) mentioned old quiz bowl packets. These were incredibly dense and had some fantastically obscure details. My gut reaction: oh hell no.

Others -- including current "Chaser" -- Victoria Groce -- advocated spaced repetition. Actually, I'll just quote her:

Quote:
So basically, there are three sources of information for learning trivia stuff and they all have their pros and cons:

1.) Stuff you come across in reading/listening to informative media/etc. (whether you're doing that primarily to acquire information for trivia or not).
Pros: Easiest to place new information in context. Generally if you're someone who likes trivia in the first place you'll probably be someone inclined to read for pleasure, so this is just fun.
Cons: Most people won't remember a lot of specifics about stuff they read casually unless they take some notes about it and reinforce it later -- that's why you see so many people lament that they just read about such-and-such last week but they can't remember it now. Depending on what you're interested in reading/watching you may pick up stuff that's pretty far afield from what gets asked in trivia contexts, although that's only a con if you're solely interested in learning things for trivia purposes, which seems...unusual.

2.) Lists, all kinds.
Pros: Most trivia questions have a hook (the interesting fact that makes it interesting to ask about and fun to answer) and a pin (something that limits the answer to one particular thing). The writer's expectation is usually that you'll answer off the hook, but list knowledge can give you a lot of the pins. The most asked about lists (things like Best Picture/Actor/Actress winners, sports MVPs, US presidents, world capitals) come up a lot in trivia contexts.
Cons: Most boring to learn, and also can be the most difficult to learn if you don't already have some prior associations in your head. (For most Americans, learning the Best Picture winners wouldn't be *that* hard because you've at least heard of most of them and have probably seen some. Learning, say, the prime ministers of a small country that plays a comparatively small role in world affairs would probably be a lot harder.)

3.) Questions from other trivia things (past LL questions, Jeopardy, trivia books, you name it).
Pros: You know this is stuff that people have found relevant enough to ask about, so it's pretty high-yield.
Cons: Doesn't necessarily help you figure out what newer stuff people might find worth asking about.

Personally I got a lot better when I realized I could combine learning trivia stuff with something I have to do every day and generally don't enjoy (exercise) to make the time go by much faster. (I am very jealous of people who get an endorphin boost from exercise, because I 100% do not.) +1 to spaced repetition, mentioned above; I started doing that when I was going back to school and I am a believer.

For reference -- today she's considered one of the US's best quizzers by other quizzers; her first four seasons in LL, .550-.600 range. Last season? .900.

LL sorts its questions into categories (after the fact), and keeps a nice graphical tally on how each player has done historically (really, that's one of the things I really like about LL -- it's very much like what was put together for MP FOF as far as player/season pages go. The historic category graph looks very much like the FOF player "footprint" even.) After a couple of seasons it was apparent that I SUCKED at ART. Now, having a glaring weakness is rather bad, because your opponents can see this and assign points accordingly. Suck at ART? There's 3 points you know you're not going to get.

So, I installed Anki, downloaded a "Great Works of Art" deck, and started studying. It's not as if I hate art -- in fact, I really like art. I just didn't know much about it. So why not become better acquainted with artists and works? It's studying, but at the same time it's really just looking at pretty pictures. And what do you know, before long I could see other pretty pictures that I hadn't seen before and say "hey, is that a ____?" And holy crap, I'd be right! After a while I began to modify my deck to add other artists who weren't well represented (it was weak on modern art, women artists, Black Artists, etc.) I got much better at it in LL, started getting those 3s. Got much better at J! art questions as well.

From there I moved on to LITERATURE. I built my own deck, here -- going through lists of best works, adding them to my deck (there are a lot of these lists; BBC/PBS "Big Read," Guardian, Time, Modern Library, Le Monde, etc.). I hadn't paid attention to books...well, since I was 12. Tons I didn't know. Now I know a lot more. But as part of this, I decided -- well, why not actually read? I probably had read fewer than 10 novels in the past 30-35 years. I had more time now (grown kids). I can change my habits, watch less TV, cut down on video games (well, really only City of Heroes). 2022 I read 94 books.

So, on and on. Improvement is definitely possible. I might take it to an extreme, yes. Like that "other trivia things" part. I've built an Anki deck with many, many, MANY past LL questions. You know what? The commish does go back to old material. Ok, sometimes it takes 15 years, but if I've seen a question in the past few weeks...

Anyway, yes, better at "trivia" but also side-effect of just learning about more things in general.

(Staying "current" is a challenge. Especially with TV. Sports, even. Music, taking a look at the Billboard charts every now and then does help. Keeping abreast on current blockbuster movies. But no, you can't assimilate everything.)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-29-2023 at 09:53 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:49 AM   #786
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, another point on pop culture stuff though, at least as LL goes. The commish is a middle-aged, white, American guy, I think just a little shy of 50. A good slice of the player base is in that demographic too. While he tries to make the questions increasingly more inclusive, there will I think always be a set that plays a bit easier to his (our) cohort. I don't know if anyone remembers Ryan Bilger from Jeopardy! -- very smart kid, made it to the 2021 ToC. His lamentation? Not knowing how to best get up to speed on older pop culture.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:24 AM   #787
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but what is "LL"?)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:35 AM   #788
cuervo72
Head Coach

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ad.php?t=91544

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-29-2023 at 10:37 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:58 AM   #789
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ah, thx!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:38 PM   #790
Ksyrup

Did anyone see the very end of double Jeopardy on last night's show where Ken basically gave the champion a hint in between the champ buzzing in and his answer? He got it wrong anyway and it didn't factor into the result at all, but surely it's against protocol for the host to say "he's your favorite author" to a contestant before he actually answers. That was bizarre.

I appreciate Ken's camaraderie with players who have been on for several episodes, but that went beyond the normal post-answer quips or between segment chit-chat.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:30 PM   #791
QuikSand
lolzcat

yikes
Old 03-22-2023, 06:34 PM   #792
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What was she thinking?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:59 PM   #793
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm normally all about the agressive bet, but she made a huge mistake. She's going to regret that for the rest of her life.

But I did like the third place guy betting zero. I think more second and third place contestants should do that so that it doesn't matter whether or not they know the answer.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:26 PM   #794
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What's funny is the winner made a really bad error just two days earlier.

Melissa got the final DD, which was also the final clue of the game. At the time she had $21,400 and 2nd place had $12,400.

She only bet $3,000, when a bet of $3,401 would give her a chance for a lock with no risk at all. Luckily, she got FJ and still won.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 03-22-2023 at 07:35 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:26 PM   #795
JPhillips
General Manager

Yes, it's been a shitshow all week.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:49 PM   #796
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
What's funny is the winner made a really bad error just two days earlier.

Melissa got the final DD, which was also the final clue of the game. At the time she had $21,400 and 2nd place had $12,400.

She only bet $3,000, when a bet of $3,401 would give her a chance for a lock with no risk at all. Luckily, she got FJ and still won.

I noticed that also. Amazing how bad a basic game theory some smart people are
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:26 PM   #797
cuervo72
Head Coach

I've yelled at the tv on that one before -- she's not the first to do that.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:46 PM   #798
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

A reminder that today (3/30, Thursday) is JeoparDay. You can take the Anytime test today regardless of the normal one-year wait. It does not reset that clock to one year, either.

If you "pass" that (strongly rumored to be 35 correct answers in 50 questions over 12 1/2 minutes), you might be invited to take the test again, proctored, on camera. If you pass the proctored test, you might be invited to interview to be on the show. Once interviewed, apparently you have 18 months during which you could receive "the call" to travel to Los Angeles and play for real.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:01 PM   #799
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thanks. I...am not sure I got 35. Choked on two that I knew but just couldn't summon, and counted 8 that I just didn't know. Ugh.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:06 PM   #800
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
For the love of God, bet to win.

I can't quite believe what happened tonight. You have to bet enough to win.