Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2023, 07:16 AM   #2251
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

-106 is cold, but at least it's a dry cold, you know?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 07:31 AM   #2252
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah I just came here to post that. I think it bottomed out at just over -107.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:40 AM   #2253
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The ice storm really did a number on the trees here. There are probably 20 I'm going to have to cut completely down and another 40 that need extensive pruning. It looks like mortars went off in some spots.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 05:51 PM   #2254
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Twenty years ago I did a planned 3-day winter hike up-and-over Washington with my Uncle & a cousin (and also a guide and other folks). We got up to Adams on the first day and camped in the snow, which was a blast.

However, the next day there was so much wind that although it was a clear day, you couldn't see on the eastern edge of the mountains, where the cliffsides were. Plenty of people have died doing similar winter hikes up there where they just walk off the edge of a cliff.

Anyway, we checked the weather report, saw that it wasn't going to get better, and spent the day climbing down via another route. Still fun, though.

We hiked Mount Washington in the fall and it was quite pleasant. It's not the best trail as you have to go over some boulder-strewn fields as part of the "trails". But my wife and I aren't great hikers or in half-marathon shape or anything (round is a shape) and we made it up there without too much difficultly. They have a scenic cog railway that you can take up or down instead. We took it down after hiking up.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:08 PM   #2255
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, once you get above the treeline it can get a bit strenuous.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:01 AM   #2256
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, and not because "walking at altitude is strenuous" so much as "I'm not a goat strenuous"

SI

Old 02-08-2023, 09:41 AM   #2257
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

As an older teen I spent a week hiking the presidential range and went up Mt Washington.

I always wanted to go back and do it again sometime.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:10 PM   #2258
Ksyrup

It's the middle of February, we just broke a record at 71 degrees, we have the windows open, and the wind is sitting at 20-30mph with gusts up to 65mph and no rain in sight.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-09-2023, 03:12 PM   #2259
Ksyrup

And we just lost power.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:45 PM   #2260
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And we just lost power.

Better door dash your dinner
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:55 PM   #2261
Ksyrup

Good idea!

It was out for 3 hours. I had just left the house to get some bags of ice when it came back on. Then the people across the street lost their trampoline over their fence, knocking their AC unit off its pad. I came back and we helped them tear the trampoline down and put the AC unit back. Then someone's escaped dogs ran by so we grabbed them and called the number on the collar to return them.

I've done my good deeds for the day. My reward: we leave for our cruise tomorrow. Oh and I scored a cheap dinner with DoorDash!
Old 02-09-2023, 08:21 PM   #2262
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

wind wind wind
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 03:14 PM   #2263
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Tornado warning on the jersey shore in February. Tell me again that climate change is t real?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 03:19 PM   #2264
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

But there's a blizzard going on in Minnesota right now so clearly there's no global warming. Checkmate, libs!

SI

Old 02-21-2023, 05:13 PM   #2265
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It is going to be 80 here this week. Check mate, conservatives!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 05:25 PM   #2266
Ksyrup

We've had about 4 straight weeks of quick dip into "cold" followed by steady climb to warm to so far above normal that we get rain, storms and hellacious winds. It's almost cyclical at this point - by Wednesday/Thursday each week, the winds crank to 40-60mph. We're in for another round starting tonight through Thursday with highs in the 70s.

Outside of Christmas when we got a bit of snow and historical low temps, we've had nearly a non-existent winter and hardly any snow to speak of.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:42 PM   #2267
GrantDawg

The mountains of California is about to get 7 feet plus of snow. The blizzard is coming from the large water vapor rhat was blasted in the atmosphere from an underwater volcano near Tonga. It reminded me of the heavy snow in 1993 that blanketed the south because of another volcano eruption. Nothing compares to the " year without a summer" in 1816. Mount Tambora eruption was the largest eruption in 1300 years. I find that stuff so fascinating.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-22-2023 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:12 PM   #2268
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow
Old 02-23-2023, 02:30 PM   #2269
thealmighty
Pro Starter

90 degrees in Dallas the other day. Believe it or not, that's not normal in February.
Old 02-23-2023, 02:39 PM   #2270
thesloppy
Pro Starter

We got a surprise 10 inches of snow in Portland last night out of nowhere.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 06:18 PM   #2271
Edward64
Head Coach

Guess there is a blue moon tonight?

California winter weather: Snowfall tops 6.5 feet and rainfall tops 5 inches across southern parts of state | CNN
Quote:
Snowfall tops 6.5 feet and rainfall tops 5 inches across southern California
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 12:20 PM   #2272
QuikSand
lolzcat

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 01:53 PM   #2273
Ksyrup

It is 80 freaking degrees today. Second warmest winter in Lexington history and now this to start spring (at least meteorological spring). And I believe a cold snap is coming in about 10 days with snow possibilities so all of the early spring growth is going to get hit hard. It was also one of the windiest Februaries on record. We had multiple days with 50+mph gusts to accompany the warmth. But very little severe weather which is odd.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-01-2023 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2023, 08:31 PM   #2274
Ksyrup

Man what a crazy last day.

The huge storm came through KY yesterday afternoon. We were in the bullseye for high winds and possible tornadoes. Well, the tornadoes ended up hitting well to our west and we only got about 15 minutes of a downpour. But then came the winds. 50-75mph gusts, insanely low barometric pressure readings, and it tore a good part of central KY apart. The wife and I spent the better part of an hour clinging to our deck furniture. I ended up bringing everything into our living room - deck chairs, cushions, table chairs, grill, etc. We tied the glass table to the railing. As we were turning it over it pinned me against the railing. Just insane. We had a cover on it and I swear I thought it was going to parasail away.

Woke up this morning to no internet. Annoying but whatever. A good chunk of our county including the downtown and shopping areas were without power since the winds hit yesterday. Internet comes back at 1:30 and I'm like, cool! 15 minutes later, we lost power. 8 hours later, still no power.

Uh oh.

I'm preparing for the worst and hoping the lights come on at 3am or something. That would be A-OK with me.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:11 AM   #2275
Edward64
Head Coach

Some serious bad weather in MS

Quote:
At least 23 people were killed, dozens injured and four missing after powerful storms and at least one tornado pummeled Mississippi on Friday night, ripping roofs off homes, nearly leveling some neighborhoods and knocking out power for thousands, officials said Saturday morning.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:37 AM   #2276
Ksyrup

Another Friday, another bad weather day. For the past 6 weeks, we have had a Thursday/Friday/Saturday (or all of the above) high wind, storm and/or tornado threat in KY. It's bizarre, almost like they've been scheduled on our calendars. Today we're looking at multiple lines of storms with severe and possibly tornadic activity mostly west into central KY late tonight, followed by (ONCE AGAIN) 50-60mph winds through Saturday.

In related news, I didn't keep track (until now) so I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure this is the first time since we've been in KY that I've mowed the lawn 3 times before April 1st. Crazy/warm weather this winter into early spring.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:57 AM   #2277
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I try really hard to not mow the lawn before April, even in Houston. I cheat and have to use the weedeater by about mid-March, but it's a psychological thing. However, this year, I had to get out the lawn mower in February. Just awful

Early spring heat will relent for most of spring break week in Houston – Space City Weather
Back on March 10th, we had already had 17(!!) 80 degree days for the year when our average is 4.

Summer is Coming: When can Houston expect its first 90-degree day? – Space City Weather
It's not that the heat has been particularly oppressive, though we have a good chance of hitting 90 next week. Our average first day for 90 over the last 40ish years is April 30th so we'll be close to a month early.

I mean, I get it - Houston is an awful swamp with lots of heat. But the real thing about it is that it's not even that hot of heat - we only get a handful of 100 degree days per year. Tons of places have it a lot worse for that extreme.

But it's a long and oppressive heat - tons of days in the 90s with lots of humidity that goes on for months with no break. In the summer, no cold fronts can even get close. We usually have a 90-120 day stretch where we don't drop below 70. So even on the rainiest, darkest 3am on the "coolest" day of the summer, it's 72 with 100% humidity.

So to get an early start on the heat is just the worst. I've lived up north where people dread winter. And it's not usually because winter specifically sucks, but because it hangs around too long. No one wants to see bare sticks of trees, shovel grey snow, or get out the ice scraper into March. We're the mirror of that - no one wants to be in their 5th month of mowing the lawn in the 90s or having that insane AC bill or sweating the minute you go outside. And when we get started this early, it just makes it seem so much longer until we get to late September or maybe well into October before we get some relief.

SI

Old 03-31-2023, 10:06 AM   #2278
PilotMan
Head Coach

You couldn't pay me to live in Houston for reason.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:07 AM   #2279
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Another Friday, another bad weather day. For the past 6 weeks, we have had a Thursday/Friday/Saturday (or all of the above) high wind, storm and/or tornado threat in KY. It's bizarre, almost like they've been scheduled on our calendars. Today we're looking at multiple lines of storms with severe and possibly tornadic activity mostly west into central KY late tonight, followed by (ONCE AGAIN) 50-60mph winds through Saturday.

In related news, I didn't keep track (until now) so I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure this is the first time since we've been in KY that I've mowed the lawn 3 times before April 1st. Crazy/warm weather this winter into early spring.

My lawn is still hanging in there! I refuse!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:40 PM   #2280
Ksyrup

Unfortunately, these storms are living up to their billing. Sounds like deadly tornadoes in Iowa and Arkansas, and I don't know what "gravity waves" are, but it's probably not a good thing.

Old 03-31-2023, 06:55 PM   #2281
Thomkal
Head Coach

Crazy weather going on right now-stay safe those in their path
Old 03-31-2023, 07:07 PM   #2282
GrantDawg

Memphis has another storm barrelling down on it right now that is going to hit downtown, or close to it.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:51 PM   #2283
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And north of the tornadoes, here's Minneapolis's forecast tonight

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...26493999999997

Quote:
Rain before 9pm, then rain and snow between 9pm and 10pm, then snow after 10pm. The rain and snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Widespread blowing snow, mainly between 10pm and 5am. Low around 21. Windy, with a north wind 15 to 20 mph increasing to 25 to 30 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

SI

Old 03-31-2023, 11:16 PM   #2284
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...tre-belvidere/

The theater roof collapsed between sets (reportedly) during a Morbid Angel (80s death metal veterans) show.
Old 03-31-2023, 11:34 PM   #2285
Ksyrup

I saw a video and they mentioned a metal band but I didn't see who. Damn.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:17 AM   #2286
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

https://abc7chicago.com/apollo-theat...nado/13060700/
Old 04-01-2023, 02:19 AM   #2287
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I got stuck by the side of the road when I tried to turn around after turning the wrong way. :P I just spun and spun in the soft earth and managerd to get 45 degree angle to the road then couldn't go anywhere else.

triple A came fairly quickly and hooked up chains and zipped me (slowly) right out. It was so typical that this happened during the brunt of the rain and wind
Old 04-01-2023, 02:22 AM   #2288
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

I weas just skimming this article I posted about the chicago metal band building and skimmed across the words "Skeletal Remains" and thought "OH FUCK! Did the building explode too?????? and that's all they found????????"

But reading closely realized that is the name of one of the bands :P
Old 04-01-2023, 08:41 AM   #2289
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...tre-belvidere/

The theater roof collapsed between sets (reportedly) during a Morbid Angel (80s death metal veterans) show.

Article I just read said it was 30onuyes into the show but didn't say which band. I guess if it was the openers they could have been done after 30 minutes.

Morbid Angel is a long time, well known band but Revocation who was 2nd billing is also pretty popular.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:31 PM   #2290
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Not current news, but on Reddit today, they were talking about hurricanes crossing the equator (it's never happened, for a couple of meteorological reasons). In that thread, they talked about the only hurricane ever in the South Atlantic, a low that rolled off the east coast of Brazil, strengthened, and then went back to land as a category 2, back in 2004. It's the only recorded hurricane in the South Atlantic in history, though there have been tropical storms- just nothing officially hurricane strength.
Hurricane Catarina - Wikipedia

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-04-2023 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-13-2023, 03:51 PM   #2291
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fort Lauderdale: Severe flooding strikes Broward County as area faces historic amounts of rainfall | CNN

Over 25" of rain in 24 hours? I mean, Harvey scared us as we had water cover up most of our driveway but not quite get in the house. For our part of town, it was about 38" of rain over about 80 hours. Some parts of Houston got over 50" of rain during that time. But I'm not sure we could withstand 25" in 24 - there's just no chance for that to drain, at all.

SI

Old 04-13-2023, 04:34 PM   #2292
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Back in 2007, Marble Falls TX got 18 inches of rain in a 6 hour period. That had some massive flooding.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 04:41 PM   #2293
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

National Record for Rainfall in a 24-Hour Period Held by Alvin, Texas

Around the time of Harvey, I ran across a story about Alvin getting 43" in a 24-hour period in the 70s. I'm pretty sure that's still the record for the US.

SI

Old 06-22-2023, 09:28 PM   #2294
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Had a tornado pass within half a mile today in Highlands Ranch Colorado. Skies were crazy just before it, swirling enough that I took the pets to the basement. And incredibly green. No damage from that or the intense hail at least but quite the swath of downed trees just to the south.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:47 PM   #2295
Ksyrup

My daughter showed me a tweet of a woman's arm with severe red bruises all over, and she said she was working concessions at Red Rock and they wouldn't let them take shelter during a storm and she got pelted with hail. Not sure if that's true but if so, holy shit I'd sue the hell out of them.
Old 06-28-2023, 07:13 AM   #2296
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So the Air Quality Index for my area is now in Purple status. I think that means a terrorist attack is imminent or something.

Thanks Canada.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 06-28-2023 at 07:21 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 07:15 AM   #2297
Ksyrup

I'm headed back into Canada right into some of the worst of it. I'm not sure how much of Montreal I'm actually going to get to see. Or Quebec City the following couple of days, either. Sucks.
Old 06-28-2023, 09:50 AM   #2298
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So the Air Quality Index for my area is now in Purple status. I think that means a terrorist attack is imminent or something.

Thanks Canada.

I always knew they were dangerous
Old 06-28-2023, 11:16 AM   #2299
GrantDawg

Time to enact the invasion plan Code Word: Maple Syrup
Old 06-28-2023, 01:02 PM   #2300
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Not the normal type of Severe Weather talked about, but we are in the midst of the massive heat wave running through the south right now. We have at least 3 days where the heat index is supposed to be in the mid 110s