Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2022, 09:23 PM   #951
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Moody, though. Best kicker in the nation. Hopefully 29-7 is enough to relax. They have more than twice the offense in this game.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:23 PM   #952
Galaril
Pro Starter

Tennessee with an impressive performance against number 9 defense in the nation Kentucky. That UGA game could be more competitive than any thought.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:41 PM   #953
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal was ready for this game at least in the first quarter when they scored 21 points. Then they just hung on from there, and the defense had some big plays in the 4th quarter and good guys win 24-13
Old 10-29-2022, 09:42 PM   #954
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

UK is a fraud this year. Levis is not that good, the offensive line lost a lot, and the D hasn't put it together. This had blowout written all over it.

And yeah, UGA has shown some chinks in the armor. The Missouri game, and that period in the 3rd quarter where UF scored 17 straight, they almost made a game of it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:46 PM   #955
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Moody, though. Best kicker in the nation.

He's so boring. He just makes every kick. There's a lot to be said for boring

And yeah, I'll take a win without style points, defense doing well after the start, given the unpleasantness of recent years. I hope the main goal the next two weeks is just to stay healthy and keep working on improving where they can. Then the 'ok, time to see what you've got this year' really kicks in starting with Illinois.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-29-2022 at 09:49 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:51 PM   #956
Ksyrup

Also, UK losing last year's OC back to the NFL has hurt way more than it has been mentioned.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-30-2022, 12:09 AM   #957
MrBug708
Head Coach

Zach Charbonnet is so good for UCLA. DTR makes the team go, but Charbs is the best offensive player in the PAC-12. CW will likely win OPOTY but Charbs is such a difference maker for UCLA.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:54 AM   #958
HerRealName
College Prospect

So Michigan is involved in yet another fight in the tunnel of their stadium? That's 3 consecutive big games. Sure, it's always the other team's fault (3 consecutive times) but maybe it's time for Michigan to modernize their tunnel situation if they don't want to manage it properly.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 11:21 AM   #959
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I just came her to ask about that. What the heck is up with Michigan getting in fights in the tunnel?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 12:00 PM   #960
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I just came her to ask about that. What the heck is up with Michigan getting in fights in the tunnel?

SI

The tunnel is a complete mess. Here's a couple of interesting videos other than the fight.

That looks like a 60+ year old man putting his hand on man's head, not a kid.

You can see the Michigan player involved at the end of this video going into the locker room separately.
Old 10-30-2022, 01:24 PM   #961
Edward64
Head Coach

Oklahoma State drops from #9 to #18 after losing 48-0? Should have dropped lower or out IMO.

And yes, the Hogs receive 10 votes (past couple weeks was 1 vote and it was a homer). We have #23 Liberty at home next week. I feel good on that matchup even though they are ranked.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 01:31 PM   #962
JPhillips
General Manager

No excuse for the MSU players, but allowing the teams to be that close together while the winners taunt the losers is a recipe for problems.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:10 PM   #963
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Oklahoma State drops from #9 to #18 after losing 48-0? Should have dropped lower or out IMO.

Look through the resumes of what's behind them, not a lot there to put them behind.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:14 PM   #964
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Look through the resumes of what's behind them, not a lot there to put them behind.

I looked and you bring up a good point.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:17 PM   #965
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Big 12 finalizing six-year, $2.3 billion extension of media rights deal with ESPN and Fox Sports - CBSSports.com

Theoretically, new Big XII media rights deal is all but signed.

SI

Old 10-30-2022, 02:40 PM   #966
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
No excuse for the MSU players, but allowing the teams to be that close together while the winners taunt the losers is a recipe for problems.

They've had that tunnel for 100 years. First time that recipe has led to two players, alone, getting jumped, hit with helmets and kicked. Most of the Michigan team wasn't anywhere near the scene at the time.

Teams yell at each other wherever they are - on the field or off.
Old 10-30-2022, 02:45 PM   #967
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

Looks like about half of what the SEC and Big Ten are worth. That's more than I thought they get. But watching the game last night, seems clear that this will be "paid for" by longer telecasts and non-stop commercial interruptions.

I really wish the conferences had more sense and learned the lesson the NFL did about 15-20 years ago when ratings got a bit shaky, then rebounded dramatically when they started trying to get games done in 3:00 or 3:10.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:30 PM   #968
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
They've had that tunnel for 100 years. First time that recipe has led to two players, alone, getting jumped, hit with helmets and kicked. Most of the Michigan team wasn't anywhere near the scene at the time.

Teams yell at each other wherever they are - on the field or off.

I'm fine with the MSU players being charged with assault if that's where the facts lead, but that video above with the Michigan players taunting the MSU players as they exit is a bad plan. The teams need to be separated as they exit or the odds for a confrontation increase.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:01 PM   #969
HerRealName
College Prospect

Assuming there haven't been changes, this is a good look at the layout of the 2 locker rooms. I've never even seen a high school with doors that open to face each other but I'm sure they exist out there somewhere.

I'm sure an internal review determined that Ohio State was to blame for this incident.

This was the same year that Dontre Wilson of OSU "started" a fight and got kicked out of the game along with another OSU starter. For UM, just a scrub was thrown out.

In 2017, JT Barrett was injured during pregame by an unnamed person running into him at Michigan Stadium. That was probably determined to be Barrett's fault. No changes were needed just like all these fights in the tunnel. UM is the victim.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:58 PM   #970
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

If the video showed Michigan players surrounding a MSU player, I'd definitely blame Michigan. Since it's the opposite, I don't think it's homerism to blame MSU in this case.
Old 10-31-2022, 06:46 AM   #971
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
If the video showed Michigan players surrounding a MSU player, I'd definitely blame Michigan. Since it's the opposite, I don't think it's homerism to blame MSU in this case.

I'm clearly talking about the larger issue. Let's take a look at who is responsible for separating Michigan from the visiting teams...

Last year against Ohio State it was... the referees? How the hell does that make any sense? Do refs get a class on crowd control before getting assigned to Michigan stadium?

Clearly that was a bad idea so let's look to the Penn State game this year to see who is in charge of controlling Michigan's players. Seems to be the refs again. Can we get the Big Ten to issue riot shields to the refs before the next home game?

Old 10-31-2022, 07:45 AM   #972
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

To my mind that's not a larger issue, it's a completely different issue. Jawing between teams happens all the time in between plays on the field. Why wouldn't we expect it to happen off the field also? The scale and type of the encounters are not remotely comparable.

I primarily blame the coaching staff of both teams for those kinds of situations if there is escalation beyond that. It's just as much an issue of team discipline as not committing false starts or off-sides on a critical down.

Harbaugh is an arrogant jerk, which is pretty much par for the course for major college football head coaches, and the fanbase basically loves him for it; many fans would be fine with their coach coming off the sideline to slug an opposing player in the face a la Woody Hayes as long as they are winning (that's not a shot at Ohio State, they did the right thing and fired him. It's a general observation on the sport). It's no surprise that he decided to hypocritically and pointlessly stir things up in the press with Franklin a couple of weeks ago. But again, there is just a massive difference here between players pumped up and obnoxiously running their mouth, and actually having violence of the extracurricular variety break out.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-31-2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-31-2022, 08:22 AM   #973
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
To my mind that's not a larger issue, it's a completely different issue. Jawing between teams happens all the time in between plays on the field. Why wouldn't we expect it to happen off the field also? The scale and type of the encounters are not remotely comparable.

I primarily blame the coaching staff of both teams for those kinds of situations if there is escalation beyond that. It's just as much an issue of team discipline as not committing false starts or off-sides on a critical down.

Harbaugh is an arrogant jerk, which is pretty much par for the course for major college football head coaches, and the fanbase basically loves him for it; many fans would be fine with their coach coming off the sideline to slug an opposing player in the face a la Woody Hayes as long as they are winning (that's not a shot at Ohio State, they did the right thing and fired him. It's a general observation on the sport). It's no surprise that he decided to hypocritically and pointlessly stir things up in the press with Franklin a couple of weeks ago. But again, there is just a massive difference here between players pumped up and obnoxiously running their mouth, and actually having violence of the extracurricular variety break out.

You can say that the running of the mouths shouldn't lead to violence but we all know that's unrealistic. We see a pretty clear pattern here, either fix it or this will continue to happen. Michigan rightfully complained about visiting player facilities at other stadiums a couple years ago and it's time for them to take their own advice.

The Big Ten needs to pull refs from player control duties in that tunnel, though. That's completely inappropriate.

On a completely unrelated note, I recently heard a story about Woody Hayes that he punched a cameraman in the stomach during a game while he was being filmed after a bad play. It was before my time but it sounds like he was even truly the Juwan Howard of his day.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:21 AM   #974
JPhillips
General Manager

D3 Hampden Sydney hosted a game with only one set of goalposts after the grounds crew took down one set when they crashed into it. They played the entire game in one direction, switching sides at every possession change.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:16 PM   #975
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Harsin out at Auburn, almost simultaneously with the announcement of the new AD hire.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:18 PM   #976
Edward64
Head Coach

Crying all the way to the bank.

Not a bad way to get fired.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:28 PM   #977
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

There are two issue with the Michigan/Michigan State incident. One is what do to about the chirping and even occasional shoving when two fired-up teams get near each other.

Coaches are expected to lead and keep fights from breaking out. The posturing isn't a good look, but it's universal in the college game. We can join in if we like - express our laundry preferences. Everyone knows mine, but I try my best not to led that cloud my judgment of other teams and their fans.

And then there's a group of players punching, kicking, hitting with a helmet, a pair of isolated opponents, one of whom is rehabbing a reconstructed knee and wasn't even in pads.

I don't blame that on the Michigan State coaching staff. So far, four players have been suspended, and they are the four, who, on the film that's been all over Twitter, are unquestionably punching or swinging a helmet. More might follow as players and others who were in the tunnel are interviewed and more film is reviewed. It's important to note that Michigan State is cooperating fully.

Why did this escalate? Hard to say. If post-game taunting deserves that kind of response, then we'd have full-scale brawls after every rivalry game. Many stadiums (including Michigan State's) have one tunnel leading to the locker rooms. I don't like the taunting, either. Make your statement with how you play the game. But that's a hard message for kids. Every game, every play, you see pointing and yelling and some of it is celebratory and some of it isn't.

Maybe it's time to crack down on it more. But I don't know how. Even in the NFL, you see it. You draw a line, and you start seeing really stupid penalties (one Michigan player picked up a 15 a few weeks ago because the referee mistook the wipe-the-face gesture that's everywhere now for a throat-slash). It's an emotional game and it's a team game. Once that whistle blows on every play, there's a lot of energy yet to release.

But what happened in the tunnel almost never happens. That was felony assault. And to blame that on taunting after winning a rivalry game doesn't make sense.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:34 PM   #978
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Can't they just let the two teams go through the tunnel seperately? Like let the away team go first and once their players are through then you let Michigan go through the tunnel?
Old 10-31-2022, 01:43 PM   #979
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Can't they just let the two teams go through the tunnel seperately? Like let the away team go first and once their players are through then you let Michigan go through the tunnel?

This makes sense to me. Have to determine up front who goes first or second - prob visitors go first.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:03 PM   #980
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
This makes sense to me. Have to determine up front who goes first or second - prob visitors go first.

They have. For close to 100 years. The Michigan team waits while the opponent clears the tunnel. There's actually quite a large distance between the locker rooms and the tunnel is very wide most of the way through. The M-Club sets up at midfield and forms a path once the opponent is out. The opponent leaves room on the sideline and the Michigan team comes through.

After halves, the visiting team goes in first because they're closer and there are far fewer people traveling. Sometimes after games, players on both teams stay out to say hi to parents and friends in the stands. Most of the Michigan players stayed out there quite a while on Saturday because they were posing with fans and the Paul Bunyan trophy - most were surprised they couldn't get back to the tunnel afterward because police were on the scene at that point.

The "incidents" with Penn State last week and Ohio State a few years ago... not even pushing or shoving. Harbaugh didn't have to make his case public, nor did Franklin.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:16 PM   #981
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
They have. For close to 100 years. The Michigan team waits while the opponent clears the tunnel. There's actually quite a large distance between the locker rooms and the tunnel is very wide most of the way through. The M-Club sets up at midfield and forms a path once the opponent is out. The opponent leaves room on the sideline and the Michigan team comes through.

After halves, the visiting team goes in first because they're closer and there are far fewer people traveling. Sometimes after games, players on both teams stay out to say hi to parents and friends in the stands. Most of the Michigan players stayed out there quite a while on Saturday because they were posing with fans and the Paul Bunyan trophy - most were surprised they couldn't get back to the tunnel afterward because police were on the scene at that point.

The "incidents" with Penn State last week and Ohio State a few years ago... not even pushing or shoving. Harbaugh didn't have to make his case public, nor did Franklin.

I've seen & heard mixed versions of this fwiw. The most common being that there are clear rules about pre-game (i.e. coming onto the field officially) but that halftime has never been a hard & fast rule, only informal custom. And that there's no real rule for post-game.

Obviously you know the situation far better than me, I'm just saying that it definitely isn't being presented as quite so clear cut in most of the coverage that's out there.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-31-2022 at 02:16 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 02:35 PM   #982
JPhillips
General Manager

The video is pretty clear. There was a large group of UM players pressing into the ranks of the MSU players as they were exiting. That shouldn't be allowed to happen and the solution is pretty simple. If there's an official exit for the away team free from interference with the home team any stragglers left behind are much less likely to cause problems.

I'm all for punishing those guilty, but they should also look at reducing the chances of these sorts of things happening in the future.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:08 PM   #983
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Tunnel video taken after the Penn State game:

BrennanCam: Penn State Post Michigan Tunnel Scene - YouTube
Old 10-31-2022, 05:09 PM   #984
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Harsin out at Auburn, almost simultaneously with the announcement of the new AD hire.

That's a lot of money to pay two people to not coach

SI

Old 10-31-2022, 05:32 PM   #985
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Damn. Did not even mention his name.

https://auburntigers.com/news/2022/1...all-leadership

Quote:
AUBURN, Ala.— Auburn University has decided to make a change in the leadership of the Auburn University football program. President Roberts made the decision after a thorough review and evaluation of all aspects of the football program. Auburn will begin an immediate search for a coach that will return the Auburn program to a place where it is consistently competing at the highest levels and representing the winning tradition that is Auburn football.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 05:56 PM   #986
tarcone
Coordinator

Northwestern is terrible.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:43 PM   #987
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Cadillac Williams will be the Auburn inter coach. It just seems like he was a player last season. It has actually been 15 years since he played there. Time just flies.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:48 PM   #988
Edward64
Head Coach

Some Tigers fans coming to the Hog forum and thanking us for getting Harsin fired.

I don't really know how things were in the Tigers locker room, but from our Chad Morris experience, I know that it gets to the point where the players lose total confidence with the coach, and will not recover. If it was like that with Harsin, I won't blame Auburn for pulling the plug in 1.5 seasons.
Old 10-31-2022, 06:51 PM   #989
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Cadillac Williams will be the Auburn inter coach. It just seems like he was a player last season. It has actually been 15 years since he played there. Time just flies.

Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown. Great combo. The Hogs had Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.

But is he qualified?
Old 10-31-2022, 07:41 PM   #990
GrantDawg

He is temporary. This will be good for him to get the experience. Maybe looking at a HC job at a smaller school.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:42 PM   #991
GrantDawg

That Hog backfield was spectacular.

Old 10-31-2022, 07:55 PM   #992
Edward64
Head Coach

It was fantastic.

All things considered, DMAC had an "okay" career in the NFL, but it was way below my hopes & expectations.

Rocket Sanders is on track to break his single season record. But we shall see.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-31-2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:56 PM   #993
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown. Great combo. The Hogs had Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.

But is he qualified?

It's either him or ... ???

The OC was fired today, the TE coach was fired, the director of recruiting, the chief of staff, the strength & conditoning coach (all but one of those were ex-Boise State guys, only one of which -- the DC -- remains employed for the time being)

Of those who remain, Williams is probably the most obvious choice. The others who have similar years in coaching include an Alabama grad and a Florida grad and I doubt they were going to hand the keys to them. And the other AU grads on staff are generally less experienced than Williams.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:04 PM   #994
Edward64
Head Coach

I'll be honest. The Razorbacks were in the pits in the SEC. I don't mind seeing another non-Vanderbilt team also in the pits ... for a couple years.

Am I a bad person?
Old 10-31-2022, 10:07 PM   #995
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll be honest. The Razorbacks were in the pits in the SEC. I don't mind seeing another non-Vanderbilt team also in the pits ... for a couple years.

Am I a bad person?

That's not only a conference opponent for you but more importantly (well, until the new schedules I guess) a division opponent. Wanting them to be less than formidable is a perfectly reasonable thing.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:08 PM   #996
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
That's not only a conference opponent for you but more importantly (well, until the new schedules I guess) a division opponent. Wanting them to be less than formidable is a perfectly reasonable thing.

Thanks, I'll take your word that I'm not a bad person. I feel better.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:09 PM   #997
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks, I'll take your word that I'm not a bad person. I feel better.

I probably should have phrased it in the form of a decree or something so I'm glad the informal version sufficed.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:23 PM   #998
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'd say it's all relative. I think the BIG suffers from being too top-heavy and not having enough depth most years (among other things). Everyone wants to win, but it's the wins against good competition that set a team apart. Be careful what you wish for, I guess?
Old 10-31-2022, 10:41 PM   #999
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'd say it's all relative. I think the BIG suffers from being too top-heavy and not having enough depth most years (among other things). Everyone wants to win, but it's the wins against good competition that set a team apart. Be careful what you wish for, I guess?

Hogs don't get to play Vanderbilt every year (and they were competitive with us during our down years). So I don't mind 1 or 2 SEC patsies. I'll take a nice winning record (9-3, 8-4) over SoS right now.

I ain't looking for Top-4. I'll be happy to sneak into the future Top-12 once in a while
Old 11-01-2022, 08:49 AM   #1000
Ksyrup

Not ideal with Tennessee next up.