Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-24-2023, 06:53 AM   #251
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Tough loss but in the end, injuries did UCLA in.

Forget next season, it feels like UCLA has officially joined the Big 10 after blowing that lead last night.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:48 AM   #252
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
That's the 3rd time Nowell has just launched a 3 from way deep. He's such a good passer when he drives to the hoop I don't know why he does that.

As great a game and tournament as that guy has had, he almost lost them the game by launching that Steph Curry range 3 from the logo up 2 with 20 seconds left. Go to the basket, draw a foul and go up 3 or 4. That was incredibly stupid, allowed MI ST to force OT, and they could have just as easily lost in OT.

I kinda think the same about the GW shot for Gonzaga too, even though it went. It appears that was the play they drew up, but man, that's not a high percentage shot. I can only think they hoped to get a bit deeper before tossing it back. It worked, so it's all ONIONS! but geez, that's a crappy shot to lose on if it doesn't go (or the backup plan was getting the offensive rebound for a put back to take the lead).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:45 AM   #253
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Agreed 100%
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:47 AM   #254
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Two of the games tonight were really fun. And I say this with my team already out of it, which kills off a decent bit of my interest.

SI

My team was out of it for most of the night, too.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:37 PM   #255
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
My team was out of it for most of the night, too.

You are getting no sympathy from me

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:15 PM   #256
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
You are getting no sympathy from me

SI

I hear ya. Just gotta take the lumps on that one, though. That was a @#$@*) buzzsaw. Props to UConn.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:30 PM   #257
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I hear ya. Just gotta take the lumps on that one, though. That was a @#$@*) buzzsaw. Props to UConn.

Sure you can find some eternal optimist or idiotic dufus fan on FB, but once that bracket came out - Kansas fans knew in our heart of hearts that we likely weren't going to Houston. Either you guys would get us (h/t) or them or the winner of UCLA/Gonzaga. It was just not to be this year for either of our squads

SI

Old 03-24-2023, 03:40 PM   #258
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As great a game and tournament as that guy has had, he almost lost them the game by launching that Steph Curry range 3 from the logo up 2 with 20 seconds left. Go to the basket, draw a foul and go up 3 or 4. That was incredibly stupid, allowed MI ST to force OT, and they could have just as easily lost in OT.

I kinda think the same about the GW shot for Gonzaga too, even though it went. It appears that was the play they drew up, but man, that's not a high percentage shot. I can only think they hoped to get a bit deeper before tossing it back. It worked, so it's all ONIONS! but geez, that's a crappy shot to lose on if it doesn't go (or the backup plan was getting the offensive rebound for a put back to take the lead).

The play looked really similar to the one Villanova hit to win the national championship a few years ago. The handoff just was a little closer to the 3 point line than Gonzaga's.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:56 PM   #259
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Uh, there may not be a #1 left in the E8. I wonder if that's ever happened before

SI

Old 03-24-2023, 08:01 PM   #260
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Uh, there may not be a #1 left in the E8. I wonder if that's ever happened before

SI

Was just discussing this with my wife
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:14 PM   #261
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Broadcast just said its never happened
Old 03-24-2023, 08:17 PM   #262
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, saw that

SI

Old 03-24-2023, 08:19 PM   #263
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

SI

Not only no number 1s left, but no teams from the SEC, Big 10, or PAC12.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:44 PM   #264
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
San Diego State, Creighton, Princeton, Florida Atlantic or Kansas State will play for the National Championship

Crazy

Last edited by JPhillips : 03-24-2023 at 08:44 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 11:18 PM   #265
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Texas saved the 2s from the same fate. At least there's hockey if you like chalk - the Big Ten's four teams won their first-round games in the 16-team NCAA tournament by a combined score of 36-4.

The weird thing about Michigan basketball is that even though they missed the NCAA tournament (deservedly so) and had an epic last-minute collapse to leave the NIT early, they've already lost one player early to the NBA draft - he's expected to be a lottery pick. And they might lose a second player if he gets a lottery grade, which would not be much of a surprise at this point.

Their all-league 7-1 center, however, has regressed and probably takes his COVID year. Never before have I seen a team with so much potential play together like they've never even heard of the team concept. I tried looking up Michigan's defensive ratings on KenPom, and the site just started giggling.

It would be funny if this were finally Gonzaga's year, after all those top ratings and disappointments.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 12:03 AM   #266
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not only do I not have any Final Four teams left in my bracket, I have zero E8 teams left.

What I can't fathom completely is how it's possible that 11% of ESPN brackets are even worse than mine.
Old 03-25-2023, 12:45 AM   #267
Atocep
Coordinator

I hit on Kansas State and Texas in the Elite 8. Nothing else. I have neither making it to the final 4 though.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:45 AM   #268
Ksyrup

I have Gonzaga winning it all and playing Texas next round. That's it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-25-2023, 07:50 AM   #269
Ksyrup

And I'm still pissed at myself for not sticking with Miami getting to the Texas game at least.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:18 AM   #270
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I had Texas and Gonzaga in the F4. But I also had Alabama beating the Zags for the title and Duke in the other region so my bracket isn't anything to get excited about

SI

Old 03-25-2023, 06:46 PM   #271
Ksyrup

Nowell is actually too good/advanced for his teammates. He's made several great passes today that they absolutely were not ready for - like that between the legs backwards pass off his teammate's hands OOB.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-25-2023 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:30 PM   #272
JPhillips
General Manager

The only time Nowell resisted taking a long three.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:46 PM   #273
Ksyrup

That dude was in his grill. Not sure he gets that shot off, although perhaps he could have drawn a foul.
Old 03-26-2023, 02:56 PM   #274
larrymcg421
Head Coach

My wife and I are both holding $5 tickets on 60:1 odds for Miami to win the tournament.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:14 PM   #275
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Every time that 7’1” guy dunks an alley oop, the PA announcer should announce “You’ve been Creightoned!”
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:24 PM   #276
JPhillips
General Manager

What a mistake on that inbounds pass.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:30 PM   #277
HerRealName
College Prospect

I know people hate when fouls are called on last second shots but that's a good call.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:33 PM   #278
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I know people hate when fouls are called on last second shots but that's a good call.

Definitely a foul but not sure you call it in that spot. That being said if its a foul in the first half it should be one at the end of the game
Old 03-26-2023, 03:34 PM   #279
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
My wife and I are both holding $5 tickets on 60:1 odds for Miami to win the tournament.

nice!

great hedge opportunity if you wanna lock in a profit.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:35 PM   #280
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't see how there isn't some time left.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:37 PM   #281
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

No one likes it when a foul decides the game. But you have to call that. It was a foul.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:38 PM   #282
bob
College Starter

Yeah seems like there should have been some time left.

Also thought the SD St guy pushed off on the drive before the foul on the shot
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:26 PM   #283
JPhillips
General Manager

I really thought Texas had that game.
Old 03-26-2023, 06:33 PM   #284
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

via @JonRothstein

Quote:
Miami Basketball.

More Guards Than Shawshank.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-26-2023 at 06:33 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:41 PM   #285
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Shows you how much a key officiating decision can make a difference. I don't think Miami wins if they don't reverse that incorrect call against Omier.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:47 PM   #286
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What a wacky Final Four, but should continue as free agency hits college basketball. the COVID seniors starts to fade should help too.

Will Texas still offer Rodney Terry their job or does he go take another mid major job after they pass on him for someone sexier?

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-26-2023 at 06:47 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:25 PM   #287
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Miami & LSU women combine to shoot 1 for 27 from beyond the arc.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:29 PM   #288
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My thought with interim coaches is this: "If they were not the interim coach and had been, say, an ESPN analyst last year, would they even get an interview?" Not, would they get the job, but would they be one of the finalists. Like if Terry was a Fresno St and UTEP coach and was an assistant at Texas for a year before this one. If he had been on TV this year, would he be one of the coaching candidates now? I would think "no".

Same with guys who are hand-picked successors. Jon Scheyer? Duke assistant for about a decade and then on CBS for a year, would he be a candidate? Maybe. Wouldn't be my first choice but I could see him on the list, if I squinted. Hubert Davis? Lots of NBA experience, 10 years on the Carolina bench? That one makes some sense.

SI

Old 03-26-2023, 10:36 PM   #289
Atocep
Coordinator

Caitlin Clark had 41 point triple double tonight to put the Iowa women in their first final 4 since '93, which was 2 years before UConn won their first title and before the WNBA existed.

Assuming she returns next year and scores at the rate she did this year, she's on track to become the all time leading scorer in NCAA D1 women's history.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:04 AM   #290
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Caitlin Clark had 41 point triple double tonight to put the Iowa women in their first final 4 since '93, which was 2 years before UConn won their first title and before the WNBA existed.

Assuming she returns next year and scores at the rate she did this year, she's on track to become the all time leading scorer in NCAA D1 women's history.

She's the biggest star in college basketball right now.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:09 AM   #291
miami_fan
Coordinator

A four seed, two five seeds and a nine seed. No one from the Big 12, Big 10, Pac 12 or the SEC. One team from the ACC and it is not Duke, North Carolina, Nortre Dame or even Syracuse. Finally, UCONN is there but not the UCONN we all expect to be in the Final Four.

All right America, you say you don't like seeing the big teams or the same teams every year. Put your viewing screens where your mouth is.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 12:58 PM   #292
molson
General Manager

Got to go to both of the Gonzaga games over the weekend. Just happened to be there and tickets were cheaper than I expected. (It probably helped that we bought tickets for Session 1 just as the first game ended).

I left my credit card at T-Mobile night one somehow (possibly because drunk), filled out a form online, and they found it and had it ready for pickup a few hours later. That was neat.

Last edited by molson : 03-27-2023 at 12:59 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:05 PM   #293
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
All right America, you say you don't like seeing the big teams or the same teams every year. Put your viewing screens where your mouth is.

Yeeeeah.

I have a tough time imagining that next weekend doesn't produce the least watched final four AND least watch final in history, and potentially by a significant margin.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:20 PM   #294
bob
College Starter

I heard Pat Forde on the Tony K podcast basically say that America loves upsets during the first weekend and then wants bluebloods or the ratings suffer.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:25 PM   #295
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan

I'll just say that sports fans are not exactly known for being collectively the most logical or consistent thinkers in the country. There's a reason why by some measures the most important holy day in America inspiring the most religious fervor isn't Christmas or Easter; it's Super Bowl Sunday.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:52 AM   #296
HerRealName
College Prospect

I never thought I'd say this but of all the Final Four games I think I'm most interested in Iowa-South Carolina. Can Clark take down the juggernaut?
Old 03-28-2023, 09:56 AM   #297
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

HOKIE HOKIE HOKIE HI TECH TECH VPI
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:06 PM   #298
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

People will watch because UConn should make the final, but if it's a Miami-FAU final, then people will watch to see the most unlikely national champion since like Wyoming won in the 40s. Won't be recording breaking, but it's not like it matters to the NCAA they cash the checks either way.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 03-31-2023 at 06:06 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:53 PM   #299
miami_fan
Coordinator

Man, LSU just turned the intensity to 10 in the quarter.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:57 PM   #300
HerRealName
College Prospect

I love this junk defense that Iowa is running. I'm sure SC will find the key to score out of it but I think it's more of a personnel issue.