Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2023, 03:59 PM   #251
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Hi, I'm Grantdawg, and I am addicted to TikTok. There is actually a bunch of creative and funny stuff on TikTok. Never have gotten into Instagram, because I agree that photos aren't my favorite form of communication. But seeing a guy with a puppet scare his wife over and over again to tell her bad jokes? Yes, please.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:06 PM   #252
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
But seeing a guy with a puppet scare his wife over and over again to tell her bad jokes? Yes, please.

Pooks?

I mean, that's the bulk of the recommends I get on IG, rarely just a straight photo anymore.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:12 PM   #253
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
TikTok and Instagram make no sense to me. I hate photos, so an entire app devoted to influencers and narcissism sounds awful. My kids continually send me TikToks and I think I've laughed at like a half-dozen total.

Although worse was (is? Does it still exist?) Snapchat - like 6-8 years ago, my kids would take pics making stupid faces or of literally nothing, and while driving at night, it was repeated flashes in the dark. About all I got out of that was gossip from my kids telling me about X or Z person who Snapped getting drunk, doing drugs, or having sex.

This is also me and probably a sign I'm getting old. Give me a chance to scroll Reddit for an hour and see dumb stories, stupid ass memes, and other stuff? Awesome. It even has some videos and they tell me what they are and I can roll right by them if I don't want to see them. But you want me to just watch movies 30s to 90s at a time of all that? Websites that went hard pivot to video were dumb and, generally decreased their viewership. And now you want me to just do that for hours on end on an app? Hard pass.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:21 PM   #254
GrantDawg

Hey, Pooks!

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2023, 04:27 PM   #255
Atocep
Coordinator

Love Tik Tok. Never got into Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or any other social media platform. My wife and son jumped on the bandwagon around the beginning of the pandemic and I thought it was stupid until I started using it more and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Despite having virtually no content that isn't so-so comedy, cat videos, and pron teasers.

Hey, it's your algorithm
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:46 PM   #256
Atocep
Coordinator

The irony in the tik tok ban is the proposed bill to ban it because of its Chinese government influence takes us one step closer to treating the internet like China does.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:26 PM   #257
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
TikTok and Instagram make no sense to me. I hate photos, so an entire app devoted to influencers and narcissism sounds awful. My kids continually send me TikToks and I think I've laughed at like a half-dozen total.

Although worse was (is? Does it still exist?) Snapchat - like 6-8 years ago, my kids would take pics making stupid faces or of literally nothing, and while driving at night, it was repeated flashes in the dark. About all I got out of that was gossip from my kids telling me about X or Z person who Snapped getting drunk, doing drugs, or having sex.

I don't get Tik Toc either but my wife spends at least 30 minutes every night in bed cackling away. At least she isn't laughing in bed at me anymore.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:27 PM   #258
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The irony in the tik tok ban is the proposed bill to ban it because of its Chinese government influence takes us one step closer to treating the internet like China does.

I pointed this out to my wife yesterday. Her work pays for her phone and I'm curious if they would ban it. Probably nt since they do a lot of business with China ( Duracell)
Old 03-27-2023, 05:49 PM   #259
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I pointed this out to my wife yesterday. Her work pays for her phone and I'm curious if they would ban it. Probably nt since they do a lot of business with China ( Duracell)

I don't think many people realize how far S.686 goes. Anyone not familiar with it needs to take a look. This bill would completely reshape the internet and give the government full control over it, your data, and any hardware, software, ect with a userbase over 1,000,000.

The way the bill is written the government could take a look at your ring data, alexa data, ect without letting you know. They just have to label something a threat to the US government and that's not something that's subject to review. The presidentially appointed Secretary of Commerce and his chosen board make that decision. Future secretaries can't even investigate past applications per the bill.

Want to use a VPN to get around the goverment overreach or keep the government from accessing your data when they want it (again, without letting you know)? Yeah, that's a now a felony under this bill.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:57 PM   #260
GrantDawg

And the "For You" in Twitter is going to get even worse. Elon says that after April 15th, only verified accounts will be recommended on the "For You." I'm still dime as ling as there is a follow tab. I just get a feeling that will be going soon.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:17 PM   #261
cuervo72
Head Coach

Won't that kind of be like TikTok then? Captive audience to what they serve you, just a different algorithm/emphasis.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:22 PM   #262
GrantDawg

No. It means only the people who pay the $8 will be in the feed. So, only Elon fan-boys.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:27 PM   #263
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey, Pooks!

Scariest thing yet perhaps, that I knew that despite not Tikking nor Tokking
Old 03-27-2023, 08:55 PM   #264
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm going to say I haven't really noticed a major change in Twitter. There are a few people who have left, but for the most part I still have most of my sports people, my news people, my Twitter of Time friends, law gurus and a few political accounts I follow. Less celebrity interaction than there used to be, but that's about it. I only look at the "following" tab, because the algorithm for the "for you" feed is a hot mess. I feel like that will probably change soon. It is just a matter of time before he does away with the ability to just see post from people you want, and stop allowing chronological browsing. That is what killed Facebook for me.

I hate that about Facebook! It keeps showing me some friend's post from 3 days ago that I don't really care about, meanwhile I'd just like to see chronological updates from all of my friends.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:56 PM   #265
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
And the "For You" in Twitter is going to get even worse. Elon says that after April 15th, only verified accounts will be recommended on the "For You." I'm still dime as ling as there is a follow tab. I just get a feeling that will be going soon.

That would be a perfect time to cancel the account.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:14 PM   #266
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't ever look at the For You tab but the couple times early on that they used to default to it, it was obvious in about 30 seconds it wasn't my normal feed.

If that becomes the only feed, I'm out. I already spend less time on Twitter since they killed 3rd party apps.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:51 PM   #267
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I don't get Tik Toc either but my wife spends at least 30 minutes every night in bed cackling away. At least she isn't laughing in bed at me anymore.

They've mastered the quick dopamine hits. Not everyone wants to watch a 10 minute YouTube video with an ad in front.

Their algorithm is really good too. Unlike other social media companies, you don't need to have a million followers or whatever to go viral. Just from a programmer perspective, it's really well done.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:36 PM   #268
RainMaker
General Manager

Years ago I would have said this stood no shot at passing constitutional muster, but the courts have changed a lot and it's not really about the laws or rights anymore.

Old 03-29-2023, 05:50 PM   #269
RainMaker
General Manager

I also get the feeling this bills is about more than TikTok. They could make a law that just bans TikTok if they wanted to. This has some nefarious stuff in it and is very vague.

It lets the government ban any app or software they deem a national security threat. It doesn't go after the company, but the users. Up to a $1 million fine and up to 20 years in prison for a conviction for having used an app deemed unsafe. This includes if you use a VPN to access those apps. It is also not subject to FOIA.

They get broad rights to monitor internet traffic of all kinds from your home. Cameras, smart devices, and anything else that accesses the internet. Patriot Act for the internet.

And this has bipartisan support and a real chance of passing.
Old 03-29-2023, 05:57 PM   #270
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I also get the feeling this bills is about more than TikTok. They could make a law that just bans TikTok if they wanted to. This has some nefarious stuff in it and is very vague.

It lets the government ban any app or software they deem a national security threat. It doesn't go after the company, but the users. Up to a $1 million fine and up to 20 years in prison for a conviction for having used an app deemed unsafe. This includes if you use a VPN to access those apps. It is also not subject to FOIA.

They get broad rights to monitor internet traffic of all kinds from your home. Cameras, smart devices, and anything else that accesses the internet. Patriot Act for the internet.

And this has bipartisan support and a real chance of passing.

Yeah I think I posted this in the Biden thread. It's seriously overlooked right now and it has strong support from both parties.

Ring, Alexa, ect could all be accessed by the Government without your knowledge if they decide a piece of hardware used to make them is a security threat. The people that decide are a board appointed by the Secretary of Commerce, which means voters have no say in what happens and future Secretaries of Commerce can't review decisions made by their predecessors.

It's government takeover of the internet.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:09 PM   #271
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The government has hard a bipartisan desire to do this going back quite a ways - remember the SOPA and PIPA protests?

SI

Old 03-29-2023, 07:27 PM   #272
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
The government has hard a bipartisan desire to do this going back quite a ways - remember the SOPA and PIPA protests?

Yeah, they've been trying for a long time. I think one of the "features" of this bill is they can ban torrent software and sites where copyright infringement is a concern in the US. It's a bill to protect very wealthy businesses who lobby politicians, nothing to do with safety.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:50 PM   #273
Atocep
Coordinator

When Rand Paul is the voice of reason on the tik tok bill something is off.
Old 03-31-2023, 03:04 PM   #274
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wonder if this verification stuff is the real reason the Saudi’s bankrolled Musk. They are going to be able to hammer Twitter with misinformation and we’ve proved as a country we will believe anything we see on the internet’s that fit our belief system.
Old 03-31-2023, 03:11 PM   #275
RainMaker
General Manager

He made the algorithm source code public today and lol.

Old 03-31-2023, 05:07 PM   #276
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

What language is that?
Old 03-31-2023, 05:43 PM   #277
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
What language is that?

scala - which I know nothing about unfortunately, but that's the extension on the source files in the repo
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:02 PM   #278
RainMaker
General Manager

Looking through the full code, it seems like a lot of it is scala. But there does seem to be some Java and Python/Starlark mixed in.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-31-2023 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:24 PM   #279
GrantDawg

Everyone was ready for the great blue check-mark removal day that was supposed to happen on April 1st. It didn't. Instead Elon has said he will wait a few weeks "to give organizations time to pay for verification", and also changed all of the legacy check marks to say "This account is verified because it’s subscribed to Twitter Blue or is a legacy verified account."
Old 04-02-2023, 06:18 PM   #280
Ksyrup

I saw a bunch of screenshots of Blue check imposters posting some pretty hilarious stuff.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-02-2023, 10:48 PM   #281
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Everyone was ready for the great blue check-mark removal day that was supposed to happen on April 1st. It didn't. Instead Elon has said he will wait a few weeks "to give organizations time to pay for verification", and also changed all of the legacy check marks to say "This account is verified because it’s subscribed to Twitter Blue or is a legacy verified account."

Washington Post had a story that said the checkmarks have to be removed manually. They have no system in place to just drop them from everyone's account. And I guess dropping them causes other issues.

Decent chance it never happens since it seems like a massive pain and he lies incessantly.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:33 AM   #282
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Washington Post had a story that said the checkmarks have to be removed manually. They have no system in place to just drop them from everyone's account. And I guess dropping them causes other issues.

Decent chance it never happens since it seems like a massive pain and he lies incessantly.
I think the current situation is better for him. He has diluted the actual verification part of the check mark, and he has made it look like some of the legacy blues have actually paid him $8. This helped stop what most people were going to do to battle the change, which was to block every blue check mark they see. I know that was my plan.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:43 AM   #283
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Yup. I don't know if he stumbled into this by accident, but it is much better for his ultimate goal of turning twitter into a right wing disinformation site that has enough residual good will that normal people still take it seriously.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:32 PM   #284
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The app is total garbage. The reply button doesn’t work and if you click the hour glass to see what’s trending, then click a topic nothing happens.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:34 PM   #285
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Yup. I don't know if he stumbled into this by accident, but it is much better for his ultimate goal of turning twitter into a right wing disinformation site that has enough residual good will that normal people still take it seriously.

I think he wants to turn it into Netflix where 50 million people are sending him $8 a month. Likely his only option now that advertisers have fled.

It'll never happen because you just aren't going to get many people willing to post on a site for a monthly fee. He just never understood what made Twitter valuable.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:40 PM   #286
Flasch186
Coordinator

Oh he knew

He just didn’t think his bluster would be held to account

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:24 PM   #287
QuikSand
lolzcat

I buy this explanation as the one that makes the most sense at this point. This tweet and her short thread behind it all add up. He's neither as dumb as he somewhat seems, nor as smart as he and his followers believe. He's just flailing around looking for something that might fit, and is seemingly unbothered by the messiness of doing it all in this fashion.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:41 PM   #288
RainMaker
General Manager

I mean he crushed the value of the company by over $20 billion in 6 months. I think he's pretty dumb. That's incredibly hard to do.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:58 PM   #289
bronconick
College Starter

And he's fiddling with it all the time. I'm thinking if he was this involved in Tesla or SpaceX, either of those would've crashed and burned the same.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 04:42 PM   #290
RainMaker
General Manager

They apparently got rid of the little note that showed when something was retweeted and by who for some reason. That's kind of annoying.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:18 PM   #291
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

One way that he has outsmarted his haters is how he has managed to keep so many of them on Twitter making fun of him.

I think that most of them know deep down that their presence there helps him. Impression counters don't care if the impressions are positive or negative.

But for a lot of them, they just can't help getting in that one really awesome dis of Elon, even though it is putting money in his pocket.

He knows how to play the suckers.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:22 PM   #292
Ksyrup

I passed a Tesla on the highway yesterday that a "SpaceX" emblem on the bottom left rear panel. Is that a special edition Tesla?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-03-2023 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:02 PM   #293
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think it's easy to underestimate just how wrong even really smart people are capable of being.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 02:33 PM   #294
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
How do I disengage from that battle when I have a gay son and a daughter and one side is literally trying to take both of their rights away?

Thankfully I live in a blue state and have the money to make sure my daughter could get the healthcare she needs regardless, but not everyone is so fortunate, and if the GOP regains power the status quo could shift.

They literally want a nation where a woman with a non viable pregnancy has to be on the cusp of death before giving her life saving care, let alone banning things like morning after pills, etc...

And this is just two issues, never mind their election nonsense, etc...This isn't the time to disengage. Democracy dies in darkness.

Hey, I don't claim to fully understand what is going over the pond. I hear of lot of things from the Republican's I find pretty awful. Gay rights, women not having the right to control their own bodies, gun narrow mindedness.

On the flip side I hear about wokism getting out of control. Biological men being allowed to compete in sport again biological females. Political correctness is no longer in the real world.

For me I am not going to spend my life arguing with a stranger on Twitter. I can understand you are in an emotional spot. But from my experience people seldom change their opinions if they are hard right or left. They just die and a new generation comes through with fresh outlooks.

It seems pretty obvious to me the current left versus right war in the U.S. will have no winner. It has gone too far now. Life long resentment on the cards IMO.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 02:39 PM   #295
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
One way that he has outsmarted his haters is how he has managed to keep so many of them on Twitter making fun of him.

I think that most of them know deep down that their presence there helps him. Impression counters don't care if the impressions are positive or negative.

But for a lot of them, they just can't help getting in that one really awesome dis of Elon, even though it is putting money in his pocket.

He knows how to play the suckers.

Impressions are not the issue they have. They have no advertisers to fill those impressions.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:42 PM   #296
cuervo72
Head Coach

"I hear a lot of bad things from the Republicans BUT ON THE FLIP SIDE A LOT OF GOOD THINGS TOO"
Old 04-04-2023, 02:48 PM   #297
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Hey, I don't claim to fully understand what is going over the pond. I hear of lot of things from the Republican's I find pretty awful. Gay rights, women not having the right to control their own bodies, gun narrow mindedness.

On the flip side I hear about wokism getting out of control. Biological men being allowed to compete in sport again biological females. Political correctness is no longer in the real world.

For me I am not going to spend my life arguing with a stranger on Twitter. I can understand you are in an emotional spot. But from my experience people seldom change their opinions if they are hard right or left. They just die and a new generation comes through with fresh outlooks.

It seems pretty obvious to me the current left versus right war in the U.S. will have no winner. It has gone too far now. Life long resentment on the cards IMO.

I dunno, these seem pretty unequal when you talk about the consequences of each:

"Gay rights, women not having the right to control their own bodies, gun narrow mindedness." = "take away rights from gays, arrest women/force pregnancy, #1 cause of death for children in the US is gun violence"

vs

"On the flip side I hear about wokism getting out of control. Biological men being allowed to compete in sport again biological females. Political correctness is no longer in the real world." = "potential imbalance in sports for the 1% of the population that is trans and whatever the consequences of 'wokeness' are"

Seems a little callous to go "hey, you're really emotional" when someone laid out some real world consequences of these things or dismissive to say something about "lifelong resentment" when there are real, tangible dangers to your family.

SI

Old 04-04-2023, 02:49 PM   #298
cuervo72
Head Coach

I mean, it's a matter of scope. How many people are affected by an abortion ruling? How many are affected by attacks on their color, sexuality, religion?

Then compare the magnitude against the number of trans women competing in sporting events. There's...well, that one swimmer, right?
Old 04-05-2023, 02:49 AM   #299
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

This is one thing I have gotten way better about (in my old age? idk). I canceled my account the day he officially was forced to take over and haven't looked back since. But it's selective, Bezos is an almost equally abhorrent billionaire and I am not letting go of Amazon any time soon, so eh.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 12:47 PM   #300
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

What is "wokism being out of control"? Do you have examples? Are they as widespread as, say, Republicans actively legislating against abortion rights, against gun control, making it illegal to be trans, etc...?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote