Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

NHL 10: The Isles Reclaim Glory? Ch. 2 - Citizen Kane

In an effort to make things easier to read, and because my team was so brutal I had to just finish the season, I simmed ahead to the start of the 2010 - 11 season. I'll do some updates of all the moves I made and all that stuff. I will actually start the news out of order because two big moves were made in Free Agency that I want to mention first.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Long Island Surprise: Islanders ink #88!

In a stunning start to the NHL Free Agency period, the New York Islanders were able to sign one of the games premier young scorers as just moments ago it was announced that Patrick Kane has signed a 5 year, 30 million dollar deal to play along side John Tavares and Kyle Okposo, which arguably makes up the most dynamic line in the NHL.

While Kane was unavailable for comment as of the writing of this story, it was understood that the prospect of not only being well paid, but being able to play alongside a talent as good as Tavares was too much for him to pass up, and with the cap strapped Blackhawks forced to resign captain Jonathan Toews, the writing was on the wall for Kane.

More rumors are coming out of the Islanders HQ that another deal is expected to be announced within the next 24 hours.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Chicago Islanders? Islanders ink Coburn

Much was made about the Isles letting Captain Brendan Witt go without even offering a contract, but those fears seem to be alleviated as the Islanders announced terms with ex-Blackhawk Braydon Coburn.

Coburn signed a 3 year, 12.4 million dollar deal that will instill him along the Isles blue line, and reunite him with his teammate in Chicago Patrick Kane.

When reached for comment, Coburn mentioned "the Isles had a plan for me, and I know they were committed when they signed Patrick to such a lucrative deal, it just made too much sense".

With over 40 million dollars invested in two players, the Islanders are expected to be done for the rest of the Free Agency period, but combined with the moves made to help add some defense and grit at the trade deadline, the Islanders look poised to make their first playoff birth in a long, long time.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Isles #1 Pick Gears Up for AHL Debut

When the Isles came out of the NHL Lottery with the #3 pick in the NHL draft, it was speculated they would take the best player available to add to the core of their team, so it came as no surprise when they took 20 year old Canadian center Stephan LeClaire with their #3 pick.

LeClaire (78 OV) is a sniper in every sense of the word. Possessing a quick release on his wrist shot, and a nifty touch around the net, he has 40 goal potential when he enters his prime.

Thankfully for LeClaire he will be able to develop in the AHL for a season before ultimately replacing current Captain Rob Brind'amour on the Isles second line.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Grizzled Vet excited to be Captain

When Rob Brind'amour was traded at the trade deadline last year, he went from getting ready to grow out a playoff beard, to looking for a new set of golf clubs. Going from good to bad is never an easy adjustment, but when you're nearing the end of the line in your career it's that much worse.

Thankfully Brind'amour has since embraced the trade, and the other Isles have taken notice, naming him Captain for the 2010-11 season.

"Wearing the C for this club is great", Brind'amour explained, "there is a lot of young talent here and I am excited to be a part of it.

The Isles are excited as well, as Brind'amour has already begun mentoring Tavares, Okposo and Kane, the young trifecta expected to lead the Isles to the playoffs this year.

"Those kids can play, I just hope I can keep up" he joked after the final preseason game.

Brind'amour, who was acquired along with Tim Gleason for Trent Hunter and Dwayne Roloson are expected to provide some grit and consistency to an Isles team that is high on potential but needs to learn how to play like professionals.

It is expected that Brind'amour will anchor the teams second line.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

2010 - 11 Islanders Lines

Kane - Tavares - Okposo
Schremp - Brind'amour - Comeau
Moulson - Bailey - Bergenheim
Tambellini - Thompson - Jackman

Streit - Coburn
Skrastins - Gleason
Kohn - Gervais

DiPietro
Schaffer
Old 10-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
General Mike
Pro Starter

Good job Danny.

Who are your alternate captains?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Good job Danny.

Who are your alternate captains?

Coburn and Streit.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

New Look Isles Dazzle

The excitement that built all summer finally culminated in the 2010 opener for the New York Islanders, and in front of a sold out home crowd, they ruthlessly and efficiently discarded the Edmonton Oilers 6-1, behind an amazing night from the new marquee line of Kane - Tavares - Okposo.

The three kids would actually end up the games 3 stars, with Tavares being first star with 2 goals and a helper. Patrick Kane, in his debut, had 1 goal and 2 assists, and Kyle Okposo added 2 goals. The three kids controlled the play and beat down the Oilers slower D by constantly moving. In fact, Sheldon Souray would end up with 4 separate unsportmanslike penalties as he could not control his emotions.

It was an all around dominating performance, finished off by a Rob Brind'amour goal in the third to make it 6-1.

The Islanders now rest up before hosting Minnesota in two days.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Shawn Horcoff Breaks Wrist

The Edmonton Oilers have just issued a release that center Shawn Horcoff broke his wrist on Tuesday vs the Islanders after a brutal open ice hit by Tim Gleason. Horcoff was able to skate off the ice after several moments but it was obvious something bad at happened.

The hit, while legal, drew the ire of Sheldon Souray who tried goading Gleason into a fight. Gleason, to his credit, skated away which gave Souray one of his four penalties.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Isles Roundup

- Minnesota beat the Isles 5-2 in the second game of the season, as the Wild would score 3 third period goals for the win. Sean Bergenheim [Streit, Moulson] and Blake Comeau [Schremp, Brind'amour] did the scoring for the Islanders.

- The Isles rebounded vs Vancouver, winning 3-1. John Tavares scored twice, the first one assisted on by Okposo and Moulson, while the second was assisted on by Streit and Kane. Sean Bergenheim would score as well, from Kane and Schremp.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #12
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Isles resign Martin Biron

With Nick Schaffer backing up Rick DiPietro, the Isles knew they needed a sound #2 so Schaffer would go back to the AHL and learn, so they brought back Marty Biron, who signs a 1 year, 1.5 mil deal. Biron will dress immediately and most likely see action on the upcoming five game road trip.