Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #151
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
so then how would the game end? by killing the sith lord?

I'd think you have to get them both. Always two there are: a master and an apprentice, but if you get the master, the apprentice becomes the master.

I don't know if that means he would have any conversion abilities, but considering a turn to the dark side is a personal failing and not, like, a vampiric bite on the neck, you'd almost have to think that if the pupil outlives the master, that he can then recruit a pupil of his own.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #152
Schmidty
Coordinator

Ok, I just woke up, did I miss anything interesting?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #153
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

I think the there are always two thing is possible, but lots of unnofficial cannon has shown that in the past (i.e. long before the movies) there was more than two Sith. Also, there is a distincion between Sith and Dark Jedi, the Sith being a specific cult and Dark Jedi being the term for any Jedi who is 'evil' and doesn't follow the council.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #154
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
I think the there are always two thing is possible, but lots of unnofficial cannon has shown that in the past (i.e. long before the movies) there was more than two Sith. Also, there is a distincion between Sith and Dark Jedi, the Sith being a specific cult and Dark Jedi being the term for any Jedi who is 'evil' and doesn't follow the council.

I dunno.

I'm thinking back through my knowledge of both the canon and extended universe, and I can't recall many examples of Dark Jedi who got that way spontaneously.

The biggest example I can thin of, Kyp Durron, still had contact with a Sith Lord prior to going renegade.

That isn't to say that there can't be an independent group of Dark Jedi on this ship, but I don't know if we should assume they're acting completely independently.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:51 PM   #155
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think saldana has made clear that this is a simple game and so besides the setting I would be surprised to see much more then typical roles. I predict the following:

Brutal Wolf
Bodyguard
Seer
Cursed (hence the conversion)
and possibly blessed and a witness. The boldest thing I can think of is some Masonesque role where Jedi could PM each other.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #156
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I do agree, the turning aspect lends itself well to the SW background. Although, I think there is a fine chance the mechanics will work as a normal WW game. Probably 4 Sith and maybe one of those comes from turning or maybe there is a fifth via conversion.

It’s hard to assume everything will be restricted to the SW world. There has already been non-cannon material introduced. The Embleton system is not referenced in the SW galaxy or in any other material (online search and asked a few friends who know a lot about SW). Plus we know that “Master Saldana” is non cannon. Also, Jedi are expected to respect life in all forms. I would say lynching someone you do not know to be a Sith is not respecting life to the Jedi standard. Lynching would be an accepted format to meet the WW mechanic.

Also, after we all started claiming light saber colors, I found out back in the old days, before the movies, the color of the light saber did mean something. I do not think that is the case in this game as Saldana has indicated he will assign colors. Before I looked late last night, I thought the only color that really meant anything was red=Sith. But that was not always the case.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #157
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus
I would say lynching someone you do not know to be a Sith is not respecting life to the Jedi standard.

If saldana were really being sneaky, that would be a hell of a way to play into the hands of the Sith. Corruption from actions and all that.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #158
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Vote Qwikshot

He's an as# and I hate him....death to his Sith inspired rosie red light sabred butt!
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:01 PM   #159
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Well with Lathum giving an explanation (thanks!) I'll follow qwik's lead

Unvote Lathum
Vote Qwikshot
Old 03-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #160
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Ok, I just woke up, did I miss anything interesting?

hmm... did it take a lot out of you WHEN YOU KILLED MASTER SALDANA?!!!??
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:06 PM   #161
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
Well with Lathum giving an explanation (thanks!) I'll follow qwik's lead

Unvote Lathum
Vote Qwikshot

How utterly you disregard the Jedi, do I need to give a true explanation. The ones who accuse be it such foolish excuses like random numbers...aren't we Jedi...do we not feel the ways of the force to help dictate those who defile our order?!? To such random disorganization to blatantly accuse without rhyme or reason...no, I won't accuse anyone, I will accuse myself for allowing such defiliers to infiltrate our order and murder our leader, in front of our very eyes...The Force will prevail, the Jedi will survive, and those who have done such an injustice will come to task.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 03-02-2006, 01:08 PM   #162
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I think saldana has made clear that this is a simple game and so besides the setting I would be surprised to see much more then typical roles. I predict the following:

Brutal Wolf
Bodyguard
Seer
Cursed (hence the conversion)
and possibly blessed and a witness. The boldest thing I can think of is some Masonesque role where Jedi could PM each other.

The witness I have to wonder about. The death of "master saldana" used the Force, not a lightsaber. Is it possible that the Sith can conduct their kills that way, or was that just a plot device to set up the story?

Because if they can kill remotely, that would make the witness role all but useless.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:08 PM   #163
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I have look inward and seen I'm not a Sith. You have looked inward and seem to have found something else. Good enough for a D1 vote for me.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #164
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
The witness I have to wonder about. The death of "master saldana" used the Force, not a lightsaber. Is it possible that the Sith can conduct their kills that way, or was that just a plot device to set up the story?

Because if they can kill remotely, that would make the witness role all but useless.

I'm thinking this was just effective storytelling...Vader was able to kill that admiral by force-choke.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #165
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have look inward and seen I'm not a Sith. You have looked inward and seem to have found something else. Good enough for a D1 vote for me.

Perhaps because you are tainted by the dark side? So rash to come to vote...do not the Jedi wait and study before attacking? To find the weakness, yet you moved so quickly without forethought, the eagerness betrays either malice or inexperience.

I, on the other hand, merely thought to instill some levity to an otherwise frustrating complication.

The question then posed to you, when I die, and am found to be Jedi, will be how you explain your protestations of innocence with my blood on your hands?
Old 03-02-2006, 01:27 PM   #166
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

I would think that the Sith would have to be able to see whom he was chocking. But I really don't have that great of a SW knowledge, so that's just a guess.

I'm thinking we're in the 4-5 Sith range with a conversion or two. If we have it where the Sith Lord can constantly convert people we're all in a lot of trouble.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #167
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Vote Superman

no reason other than he hasn't posted but once. Day one vote, subject to change.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #168
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
are you serious? it's day one, everyone votes without explination.

btw I picked alanT because I think his suggestion about a sith lord being able to convert a new pupil preposterous and he may be leading us down the wrong path on purpous.

Well I am by no means a star wars expert. I had thought in the recent ones, the emperor had Dukuu as his minion, then the torch so to speak would be passed to the next minion (anakin). So the way to win would be to eliminate the emperor, and then he could not convert anyone else.

That seemed in my mind the most likely theme based game. It is a bit different than what we have done in other WW games, so maybe its looser on theme for playability purposes. Dunno, I was just tossing out an idea
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:44 PM   #169
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I do agree, the turning aspect lends itself well to the SW background. Although, I think there is a fine chance the mechanics will work as a normal WW game. Probably 4 Sith and maybe one of those comes from turning or maybe there is a fifth via conversion.

It’s hard to assume everything will be restricted to the SW world. There has already been non-cannon material introduced. The Embleton system is not referenced in the SW galaxy or in any other material (online search and asked a few friends who know a lot about SW). Plus we know that “Master Saldana” is non cannon. Also, Jedi are expected to respect life in all forms. I would say lynching someone you do not know to be a Sith is not respecting life to the Jedi standard. Lynching would be an accepted format to meet the WW mechanic.

Also, after we all started claiming light saber colors, I found out back in the old days, before the movies, the color of the light saber did mean something. I do not think that is the case in this game as Saldana has indicated he will assign colors. Before I looked late last night, I thought the only color that really meant anything was red=Sith. But that was not always the case.

Very good points.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #170
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've held for a good length of time that voting for yourself is actually a very effective defense as they almost never get lynched. I believe someone who is a Sith might try it since it has worked so well in past games. Therefore, without a better candidate,

I vote for Qwikshot.

However, I will change my vote if something compelling comes along (which is unlikely on day 1.)
Old 03-02-2006, 02:00 PM   #171
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I've held for a good length of time that voting for yourself is actually a very effective defense as they almost never get lynched. I believe someone who is a Sith might try it since it has worked so well in past games. Therefore, without a better candidate,

I vote for Qwikshot.

However, I will change my vote if something compelling comes along (which is unlikely on day 1.)

I'm curious about the timing though. Let's examine the possibilities.

1) Sith
2) Plain ol' Jedi
3) Jedi with important role.

If he's a Sith, yes, it could be an effective strategy to evade detection, but it could also get him lynched early with people not needing much of a reason to vote. Doing it on the first day just doesn't seem like the best of ideas.

If he's a plain ol' Jedi, okay, there's a probability exceeding 50% that a regular Jedi would get lynched the first day. Sucks, but in this possibility it's the question of who, not what, we're losing.

Now, if he's a guy with a role, this is a dangerous first day play, because he can really put us behind the 8-ball if we lose him before he's had a chance to use his role more than, at best, once (I know, because this happened to me in an earlier game). High reward, but very high risk.

It's not a great first-day move in any event, but I don't see much of a percentage in him making a play like this unless he's a Sith, because the potential damage to the Jedi is just too great.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #172
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quik, I think you might have shot yourself in the foot. I've never been a big fan of people who vote for themselves, and I think in this case you could be just trying to play into your role like last game, but at this point with nothing else to go on, Vote Quikshot. I'm more than happy to change my vote if any evidence is brought forth...
Old 03-02-2006, 02:07 PM   #173
JeeberD
General Manager

Or could they be doing (sort of) what Dubb and SnDvls did in the HP game. While SnDvls didn't intend to become a target on the first day, Dubb jumped on him as soon as he could so that he would be considered "safe" for a long period of time. Could Qwik be sacrificing himself for the Sith team so that barkeep gets the "regular Jedi" label?

Old 03-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #174
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'll cast my vote towards someone who I don't think has picked one up yet ...

VOTE EAGLESFAN27

There are no terribly compelling reasons for this, at least not as far as the first 180+ posts of this game. But if he is playing a Sith then the vote above is perfectly in line with his play in past games. And, for some reason, the guy is teflon in the werewolf games I've watched.

If he is a jedi knight then hopefully we will get a fully engaged player helping us root out the servants of the dark side.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #175
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Or could they be doing (sort of) what Dubb and SnDvls did in the HP game. While SnDvls didn't intend to become a target on the first day, Dubb jumped on him as soon as he could so that he would be considered "safe" for a long period of time. Could Qwik be sacrificing himself for the Sith team so that barkeep gets the "regular Jedi" label?

Maybe, but given the uncertainty about the Sith's numbers, that might be a dangerous ploy all in itself. The fewer there are, the riskier it becomes.

That might be nearly as dangerous a first-day move as voting for oneself.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #176
hoopsguy
General Manager

Dola - 180+ posts should actually be 170+ posts, seeing as how mine was Post #174.

Hoping I can squeeze in a dola this game
Old 03-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #177
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Also, after we all started claiming light saber colors, I found out back in the old days, before the movies, the color of the light saber did mean something.

Do you have a link to this info Gramm? I was doing some research myself, but didn't find any good information other than the usual stuff from the movies.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #178
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb
Do you have a link to this info Gramm? I was doing some research myself, but didn't find any good information other than the usual stuff from the movies.

I don't know if Knights of the Old Republic can really be considered canon, but when you reach your Jedi ranks there, you choose from one of three classes, and the lightsaber color is nominally attached to those classes.

You can find different colored crystals to change that throughout the game, though, so it's only a tenuous link at best.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #179
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
VOTE QWIKSHOT

He used Jar Jar speak in a post. That's more than enough for me.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #180
Desnudo
Coordinator

I'll light a fuse and see what happens.

Vote Schmidty
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #181
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
VOTE QWIKSHOT

He used Jar Jar speak in a post. That's more than enough for me.

That was Qwik?

vote Qwikshot

It's like the dude has a death wish, between that and voting for himself on the first day. It might not be the Jedi way to turn against ourselves to root out the Sith threat, but putting a brother Knight out of his misery...that's okay, right?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:26 PM   #182
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb
Quik, I think you might have shot yourself in the foot. I've never been a big fan of people who vote for themselves, and I think in this case you could be just trying to play into your role like last game, but at this point with nothing else to go on, Vote Quikshot. I'm more than happy to change my vote if any evidence is brought forth...

No evidence...feel free to vote for me...just a wasted vote though...this just gives me free time tomorrow when I'm dead...

I can see there will be a run of votes for my death, I always wanted to try this strategy...I won't post anymore...if I'm dead I'm dead...this just helps the Sith.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #183
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know if Knights of the Old Republic can really be considered canon, but when you reach your Jedi ranks there, you choose from one of three classes, and the lightsaber color is nominally attached to those classes.

You can find different colored crystals to change that throughout the game, though, so it's only a tenuous link at best.

You did have the initial blue, yellow, green selection though. Maybe bears follow up if any new information shows up.

I don't know how beneficial the information is to this game, but in the KoR universe, which is set thousands of years before the movies, there are Sith all over the place. They even had their own training academy. I think they lost a war and were thought extinct for a very long time. Which is why there is only one in the movies.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #184
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
You did have the initial blue, yellow, green selection though. Maybe bears follow up if any new information shows up.

I don't know how beneficial the information is to this game, but in the KoR universe, which is set thousands of years before the movies, there are Sith all over the place. They even had their own training academy. I think they lost a war and were thought extinct for a very long time. Which is why there is only one in the movies.

Well, the thing about Korriban is that it used to be a Sith training academy thousands of years before KotOR, and got somewhat revived with Darth Revan and Darth Malak's war against the Old Republic. As Jedi defected, they needed some place to go.

In other words, it was more or less a temporary resurgence in the strength of the Sith, and not indicative of a prolonged threat in force.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #185
hoopsguy
General Manager

It's OK as long as you don't feel like the bandwagon is up and moving too quickly.

I'm not saying that Qwik is playing a great game. I'm just not inclined to hop on a bandwagon that seems to have gained momentum pretty quickly. Five votes already without anyone getting more than one (as of Post #181).
Old 03-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #186
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy
I'll cast my vote towards someone who I don't think has picked one up yet ...

VOTE EAGLESFAN27

There are no terribly compelling reasons for this, at least not as far as the first 180+ posts of this game. But if he is playing a Sith then the vote above is perfectly in line with his play in past games. And, for some reason, the guy is teflon in the werewolf games I've watched.

If he is a jedi knight then hopefully we will get a fully engaged player helping us root out the servants of the dark side.

You need to look at my early games. I'm certainly not very teflon like in those early games, and I certainly wasn't in my last game. I'm not a bad guy this game, and I think I'm being more vocal this game as a result of being good. I definitely do a better job of playing the good guy as opposed to the bad guy.

However, I don't blame you for voting for me since it is quite random the first day. Again, I invite anyone with a seer like ability to view my heart. I'm good and I'm not a bad guy with the ability to mask from the seer.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #187
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy
Dola - 180+ posts should actually be 170+ posts, seeing as how mine was Post #174.

Hoping I can squeeze in a dola this game

Dola (Maybe?) -

It didn't work with that post
Old 03-02-2006, 02:47 PM   #188
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quik bandwagon seems to have formed too quickly for me. I agree that voting for yourself is a dumb play bit I'm gonna wait a while before casting a vote. I mean, we should at least let everyone get in and start discussing.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #189
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
Quik bandwagon seems to have formed too quickly for me. I agree that voting for yourself is a dumb play bit I'm gonna wait a while before casting a vote. I mean, we should at least let everyone get in and start discussing.

I agree. But I have to leave for work in about an hour, so I'm probably going to have to make an uniformed vote anyways...

Old 03-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #190
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking about voting for Qwik for the same reasons others posted, but this bandwagon started up really fast. I'm just going to wait a little longer and see what happens.

I'm troubled that Qwik tried a very risky strat which is one that I don't see a good player doing on day 1... (why start up a controversial vote in a period where we are trying to discern information from nothing, other than to create chaos?)

Then after he threw down that bomb and understandably got some votes from it, he refuses to defend it other than it would help the Sith. That is a type of strategy I have used when a wolf and having votes on me before....

I'm getting bad vibes from Qwik's actions so far, but don't really want to be a part of an out of control bandwagon yet.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:07 PM   #191
Barkeep49
Coordinator

FTR if Qwik hadn't voted for himself I'd buy that he was just role playing. Voting for oneself though is sure to draw attention. With no other credible candidate I don't think the D1 "bandwagon" has been all that surprising.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #192
hoopsguy
General Manager

Not surprising, but rapid. I don't know if we are collectively heading in the right direction or not here, but I'll be even more concerned about this if we still see no 2nd candidates emerge by the last hour or so.

Of course, my recent track record of trying to combat bandwagon voting on Day 1 isn't so hot (Lost). So I'm probably done urging caution at this point, unless something really jumps out at me between now and the deadline.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #193
Desnudo
Coordinator

I'm trying to think back to other games, but I seem to remember the early vote for yourself strategy as having a bounceback factor where people don't want to be part of the dogpile. Sort of like what's occurring right now. So the bandwagon starts, but people jump off because they don't want to be seen as bandwagoners. My prediction is a relatively close race between Qwik and someone else.

Reading his posts, my impression is he may have just made a half-assed remark and vote without really thinking it through.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #194
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm trying to think back to other games, but I seem to remember the early vote for yourself strategy as having a bounceback factor where people don't want to be part of the dogpile. Sort of like what's occurring right now. So the bandwagon starts, but people jump off because they don't want to be seen as bandwagoners. My prediction is a relatively close race between Qwik and someone else.

Reading his posts, my impression is he may have just made a half-assed remark and vote without really thinking it through.

I think your first paragraph is right on the money. It seems like almost everytime someone votes for themselves on Day1, an early bandwagon forms, then people decide they don't like that and vote another direction. In the last several games, I can think of, the person who did this lasted until the end of the game.

Obviously, I don't know if Qwikshot is bad or not. I just know that unless another candidate emerges, I'll stick with my vote.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #195
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I'm going to go a different direction with my vote. Lathum made this comment to defend his vote of Alan T....

Quote:
are you serious? it's day one, everyone votes without explination.

btw I picked alanT because I think his suggestion about a sith lord being able to convert a new pupil preposterous and he may be leading us down the wrong path on purpous.
[quote]

Even though some of us may hope conversion isn't in the game, it is a standard werewolf mechanic and even more common in the star war universe. When that was pointed out to me, I had to admit that there are probably going to be conversions in this game. Do we know for a fact that there will be conversions? No, but I think to vote someone just because they propose that idea may mean that Lathum is trying to hide something.

Eagles and other came out and told Lathum how his voting reason made little sense, since they feel very much the same way Alan T does at this point. Did this make Lathum unvote Alan? No. With that in mind I'm going to go ahead and...

VOTE LATHUM[b]
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:28 PM   #196
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dubb,

I agree with your reasoning. To me, Lathum is the only other player who has put himself on my "suspicious" radar so far.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #197
SackAttack
Head Coach

Stepping out for an hour or two to cover a softball game for the school newspaper. Back in a while.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #198
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

So, is there anyone that signed up for the game and has recently found out they don't have time to participate?

Speak now so that I may vote thee.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #199
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

I agree that Lathum's vote and reasoning seemed to be a silly. But then think that in every game I've played here I've thought that Lathum was suspicious at one point or another, lol.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #200
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll light a fuse and see what happens.

Vote Schmidty

Nah, no fuse lit. Nothing to go on day 1, so I'll just send one right back at ya.

Vote Desnudo