Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Daylight Fading: A solo fast-sim dynasty

So I created a FOOL variant for my personal use called FOOL-Daylight which essentially is my own fiefdom of baseball clubs in a solo league universe I control.

I run teams for a period of time, sim into the future and rinse, wash, repeat the process again.

I started it in the 1800s so I could simulate a ton of history, but effectively it's played out like it's modern times, with financials using current dollars. Salary cap is at $75 million.

I started my career with the Victoria Cougars from 1800-1812 and won three league titles in 1803, '09 and '10. After that, I took off 36 years and came back in 1848 to take over the Washington Maroons from 1848-1850 and then again in 1852. During that time, we made the playoffs each year, but didn't win the title.

After a four year break in 1866, I took over the Rio Grande Roadrunners, leading them to a 112-win season and a loss in the Daylight Series (a best of nine series) to the Manchester Elephants.

Well, in '67 the landscape has changed a bit. The Roadrunners folded just two months before the season was to begin. Replacing them was an expansion team - the Los Angeles Seraphs.

The Seraphs inherited the Roadrunners organization and players, but not their records.

Thus '67 is the first season for the league's first expansion franchise in 27 years.

My format for this dynasty is season recaps. Because FOOL is fast-sim in nature, I run my dynasty the same way. One straight shot, no second chances. I don't tinker or anything with the lineups or anything else during the season and the AI doesn't either. Or the postseason.

Then we do the off-season, then go back into it.

I'm the GM of the Seraphs this year and we're wanting to be the first expansion club to capture a title in its first year. The Eau Claire Paws won a title in their second season (after going 81-81 and using a playoff system that's since been changed to squeak in and then run the table) but no other team has done it that fast.

So we'll see if the recaps themselves work and if I can maintain this dynasty over time, in this new format.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1867 LOS ANGELES SERAPHS (117-45)

After a 117-win season -- a league record -- the Seraphs road the backs of their three aces (Gunner Carter, Earl Smith and Nelson Mares) to the post-season to face off against the 83-win Eau Claire Paws. The playoff format is 2 teams from each division makes the post-season and then the seeding is based on records. So the Paws were the 2nd place team in the Central Division, but the #8 seed.

Despite that, they dispatched the Seraphs in seven games to advance to the Division Championship Series against Jacksonville who sent them home in five games. In the Daylight Series, the Washington Maroons beat Jacksonville in seven games to claim their third title in five years.

The Seraphs were the highest salary team in the league that year, bringing in perennial all-stars such as Kurt Born and Nelson Mares to compliment a team of future Hall of Famers including ageless wonder Lars-Erik Johansen who is our version of Babe Ruth - only better - with over 200 career wins and 600 career home runs.

In the end, though, our first year was a success during the regular season and a huge disappointment in the post-season. So we retooled, came back and tried again for the '68 season.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-27-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1868 LOS ANGELES SERAPHS (117-45)
Same old, same old in LA. Year two, we tried not to tinker too much with the lineup. We used some younger guys like Michael Clayton and 21-year old rookie phenom Michael Bowles to propel us to the promised land. We replaced Johansen who went back to Washington with 40-year old David Sullivan who won 20 games.

The results? Another 117-win season for the Seraphs. You just can't make this sorta stuff up. But in the end? The result was the same in the post-season. Facing the #8 seeded 86-win Eau Claire Paws, the Seraphs couldn't bring it together and as a result, lost to the Paws in six games and were dispatched from the post-season for the second straight year.

The team rumored to be considering firing Dark Cloud after the season, because it was just so frustrating, but team officials recognized they hadn't made significant improvements to the team and considered one more year to bring it all together.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1869 LOS ANGELES SERAPHS (117-45)
Another year. Same old Seraphs. The team was retooled and aided by a $10 million salary cap increase, the team was able to make some moves. Players were dealt, new guys were brought in and well...for the third straight year, the team won 117 games.

But this time, it wasn't a record, because the New York Gothams, a team that has never won a championship since being founded in 1840, decided to put it all together, winning a league record 123 games during the regular season.

After trading up to get the first pick in the draft, they did it to get 3B phenom Mat Johansen, the son of -- you guessed it -- Lars-Erik Johansen who said he'd keep playing (he's now 47 for those of you counting at home) until his son made the majors.

Well, lucky for Lars that his son didn't give him long to wait, as he did it during his rookie campaign as a 20-year old.

The Angels tried their best, armed with another rotation led by Gunner Carter, Nelson Mares and Paul Castle -- all 20-game winners -- the ballclub again had the best pitching staff in the league and was 1st or 2nd in most batting categories, as well.

This year's playoffs were a bit kinder to the boys from Hollywood, as they faced off against Colorado City, the #7 seed in the playoffs and swept them to advance to their first-ever Division Championship Series takng on the Triplets of Evansville, who won the Central Division title at 98-64. It took six games, but they knocked them off setting up the battle EVERYONE wanted to see -- New York v. Los Angeles. When the league approved a new team in LA after the demise of Rio Grande, literally this was the sort of series that folks were hoping for.

The Seraphs were not favored against the Gothams, who had been rollng on all cylinders for most of the year. Rookie Mat Johansen led the team with 34 home runs, his father led the team with 22-wins, despite his age and a balanced rotation of Jim Miller (19 wins, 234 K), Van Anderson (16 wins, 230 K) and Jeff O'Rorke (21 wins) thwarted the Seraphs in their bid to claim a Daylight Series title, giving the Gothams their first EVER Union League championship winning the series 5 games to 1.

So where do the Seraphs go from here? No decision has been made on the future of Dark Cloud or many of the players. The core is still intact and with a few modest moves, the team would be easily back in contention again. Maybe it'll take some creativity to ensure the team has its horses in places for a long postseason run, but...in the end, Los Angeles is learning is that it's not just about regular season wins, but stringing together 13 wins in October to claim the league's ultimate prize.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1869-70 OFFSEASON
MOVE, REALIGNMENT
Sioux Falls will move to Buffalo, New York for the 1870 season after 39 years in South Dakota. They'll retain the Blue Wings name.

Buffalo will transfer to the Eastern Division, Washington to the Central from the East and Shreveport to the West from the Central.

PLAYOFF/TITLE DROUGHTS (as of 1869)
----
BANTAM (1865) (1833)
BOULDER (1868) (1828)
BROOKLYN (1847) (1846)
BUFFALO (1867) (1845)
CAROLINA (1866) (1841)
CHICAGO (1862) (1862)
COLORADO CITY (1869) (1868)
EAU CLAIRE (1868) (1844)
ENDERBY (1860) (1827)
EVANSVILLE (1869) (1829)
HOUSTON (1869) (1850)
JACKSONVILLE (1867) (1861)
LOS ANGELES (1869) (NONE, founded in 1867)
MANCHESTER (1868) (1866)
MINNEAPOLIS (1853) (NONE, founded in 1840)
NEW YORK (1869) (1869)
PITTSBURGH (1865) (1857)
SAN DIEGO (1868) (1865)
SANTA ROSA (1864) (1854)
SHREVEPORT (1866) (1839)
ST. LOUIS (1869) (NONE, founded in 1812)
ST. PETERSBURG (1867) (NONE, founded in 1840)
VICTORIA (1867) (1860)
WASHINGTON (1869) (1867)
Old 09-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1870 OFF-SEASON RECAP
Bottom line, this is the last shot ownership will give me to right the ship here. I considered resigning during the offseason, not sure if I could really get this team where it needed to be, knowing we couldn't really spend a lot of money to get ourselves where should be.

Playoffs? That doesn't worry me that much. It's more about whether we have the horses in the post-season to really get it done.

Because this is a fast-sim dynasty, I make NO moves after the off-season. Once I set the team, that's what we have all season long and through the post-season, because I've added the degree of difficulty of not allowing myself a chance to tinker with the roster between the regular season and post-season, which if I didn't, I probably would've won a title just because of being able to set my rotation from 5 to 4. But that's the price of playing this way...

So what moves did we make? Well, I thought you'd never ask. Here's what I did:

I acquired Chance Madole from Bantam for three players. (Here. They. Are.)

The logic? We needed to cut payroll and yet, we needed more pop and I think he's the sort of guy that could deliver that, even though it's the tail end of his career. And yes, he's an LA native and I love human interest stories. Sue me.

I traded one of our dependable ace types - Nelson Mares - in a straight up salary dump for Danny Wheeler. The deal here? We saved about $8.5 million by getting rid of Mares. He's getting old (38) and despite three straight 20 win seasons for us since coming over as a free agent from Colorado City (where he spent his whole career) I decided to sell high here. No doubt the absolute riskiest move of the offseason, but...Wheeler can play all four infield positions AND left field. We need that kind of depth come playoff time.

Speaking of, then feeling like the middle infield wasn't really where it needed to be, we called up the Bantam squad again to pick up Jeff Wilder for another stud kid pitcher in Tom Allen and a veteran infielder. Allen and some of the others we've dealt would've ensured this team was good for years beyond this one, but honestly, the financial constraints were such that we'd either have to kick up the kickstand on this season and try to compete in a few years or compile all of our assets and try to make some magic happen this season. That was the job I was tasked with and so, that's precisely what I did. We've still got a good number of solid prospects anyway. Plus Allen's control worried me.

Finally, I made a few more deals to pick up some veteran relievers in Brown, Higgs and Lee.

Bob Bradford was our only free agent signing this offseason, another bullpen guy.

In the past, we were riding with too many half-piece guys who I don't think were getting the job done with it mattered. I think we've fixed that problem now and as a result, we're in a pretty good place heading into this season.

You'd think it'd be easy to play Cashman, to be the guy who has to run the squad that isn't supposed to lose, that spends tons of money and goes out there and dominates, but...remaking a 117-win team is just not as easy a task as you'd think.

Payroll right now for the top 5 teams in the league ($75m cap) are:

Colorado City: $73,979,640
Boston: $73,708,500
Los Angeles: $73,437,000
New York: $73,052,000
Memphis: $67,818,500

Boston is just like Los Angeles, in that, it's an expansion team created in the demise of an established club (Brooklyn) going under. So they're in their 1st season. Memphis moved from Manchester, as the two England clubs relocated (Enderby went to Philadelphia) and so, we'll see some different cities this season.

This is my last season playing for a while, I'm going to sim into the 1900s after this season regardless of the outcome, so...it's important for us to finish strong, though naturally the playoffs always worry me because they're so flaky.

Anyway, here goes nothing.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-30-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well, as expected the regular season was something of a formality. We did, however, end our streak of 117 games in three straight years. This year, we won 120.

1870 Final Standings

Code:
Union League Standings Eastern Division W L PCT GB New York Gothams 123 39 .759 - Philadelphia B.C. 87 75 .537 36.0 Boston Yanks 85 77 .525 38.0 Bantam Originals 82 80 .506 41.0 Buffalo Blue Wings 80 82 .494 43.0 Pittsburgh Grays 68 94 .420 55.0 Jacksonville Red Caps 63 99 .389 60.0 St. Petersburg Pelicans 62 100 .383 61.0 Central Division W L PCT GB Washington Maroons 86 76 .531 - Eau Claire Paws 84 78 .519 2.0 Memphis Elephants 83 79 .512 3.0 Chicago Blue Collars 80 82 .494 6.0 Minneapolis Millers 78 84 .481 8.0 Carolina Wrens 75 87 .463 11.0 St. Louis Stars 75 87 .463 11.0 Evansville Triplets 72 90 .444 14.0 Western Division W L PCT GB Los Angeles Seraphs 120 42 .741 - Colorado City Gold Sox 100 62 .617 20.0 Houston Buffalos 95 67 .586 25.0 Boulder Profs 80 82 .494 40.0 San Rafael Keepers 78 84 .481 42.0 Victoria Cougars 67 95 .414 53.0 Shreveport Gassers 63 99 .389 57.0 Santa Rosa Peanuts 58 104 .358 62.0

FOOL-D News: Playoffs begin
Thursday, September 22nd, 1870: Some clubs have coasted to make the playoffs -- others have scrapped tooth and nail to get here. After a long, sometimes seemingly endless regular season, it gets down to who can win a short series -- by hook or crook, talent or luck. That's what it takes to capture the FOOL-Daylight championship. The top teams will vie in the Daylight Series starting today:

Eau Claire Paws versus New York Gothams, Philadelphia Baseball Club versus Houston Buffalos, Washington Maroons versus Colorado City Gold Sox and Boston Yanks versus Los Angeles Seraphs.

So we get to face off against a team with a payroll almost as big as ours, despite them being the #7 seed. They're better than our usual nemesis in Eau Claire, but...they're a troublesome team to face off against.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

OPENING ROUND SERIES RESULTS (BEST OF SEVEN)
-----------
New York def. Eau Claire 4-2
Philadelphia def. Houston 4-2
Colorado City def. Washington 4-3
Los Angeles def. Boston 4-0

(Note: LA went 3-0 against Boston during the regular season, so it seems we just had their number all year. I'm okay with this. After finishing 20 games ahead of Colorado City during the regular season, I hope this one pays off.)

DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES (BEST OF SEVEN)
-------------
Philadelphia v. New York
Los Angeles v. Colorado City
Old 09-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES RESULTS (BEST OF SEVEN)
-----
New York def. Philadelphia 4-2
Los Angeles def. Colorado City 4-1

Well, it's a rematch of last year's Daylight Series with the defending champion Gothams taking on the Seraphs from the left coast.

We went 2-1 against them in the regular season for whatever that's worth. Their lineup is pretty potent featuring Mat Johansen, the 21-year old phenom and umm..his 48-year old (yes, I unretired him) father Lars-Erik Johansen who is pretty much the Babe Ruth of this league, except better. After pitching last year for the Gothams, it seems he's been batting 3rd in the New York order this year to end his career as a hitter, rather than a pitcher.

It's important to note that Johansen played for Rio Grande for a year and a season in LA before retiring and then unretiring to finish his career in Washington (where he spent the bulk of it) but then left there, went to Bantam half a season and then after that, came back when New York moved up in the draft to pick up his son, so they could play together.

How's that for fatherly love?

In any case, I have no idea what to predict for this season, so let's just end the suspense.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-30-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

New York wins the 1870 Daylight Series 5 games to 3.

Which sucks. A lot. I'm half tempted to come back for another year just to see if we can't put it all together, because I've become pretty attached to this squad. But too many guys are leaving and it's going to be a lot more frustration than I want to put up with right now.

So I'm going to sim forward into the 1900s and start tinkering more with history and such alike, find a new team to adopt and see if we can't find some success there. Maybe I'll come up with a different approach with a squad like that, I dunno yet.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Also:

If you're interested in participating in this dynasty by having me create a player for you, do let me know, as we're so far into the past, that it'd be interesting to have some guys throughout history that we could follow with special interest.

Just post it and lemme know.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've decided to come back for another season in Los Angeles. The core will stay intact, we have some young guys who might be able to contribute coming up (or who can be dealt) and I think that we can unload a few of those crap deals and move on with building a ballclub that might be able to compete for a title against next year.

If not, oh well. But I'm not quite ready to give the club up yet.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 PM   #13
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Also:

If you're interested in participating in this dynasty by having me create a player for you, do let me know, as we're so far into the past, that it'd be interesting to have some guys throughout history that we could follow with special interest.

Just post it and lemme know.

Hey DC use my alter ego

Jay "money" Muns

lol make me a speedy RF........
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:08 PM   #14
muns
Pro Starter

Dola

I like that you still use Rio and the Road Runners. Good Call.

Ill be following this. Good reads so far
Old 09-30-2009, 11:10 PM   #15
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Yeah, count me in too.

Perhaps a pitcher? David Bowman.
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:41 PM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Both of you are in the draft and should MLB ready prospects who could contribute early on. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well, I have to say this was one of the more trying offseasons I've had since coming to LA. We just didn't have a lot of room to work with. So we had to make some moves to free up salary. That meant moving Chance Madole to Colorado City in a mega-deal that involved a third team. But it managed to give us the freedom we needed to get the roster shored up for the regular season.

I have no idea what to expect from this team. I think we're still playoff caliber, but we might not win 100+ games and from there, who knows? But maybe that's better for us...after all, history has proven that it's not about how many games you win in the regular season, but instead, whether you can produce and advance in the postseason.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #18
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Santa Rosa Peanuts select SP David Bowman with the first pick in the 1st Round of the 1871 Draft.

Eau Claire Paws select RF Jay Muns with the 17th pick in the 1st Round of the 1871 Draft.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:45 AM   #19
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Let's Go Nuts!
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:52 AM   #20
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

DC, I'll join.

William Omark. 3B
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Here are the player cards for the human players:

William Omark, IF, Jacksonville
Red Caps (Minors)
The AI must've decided to make you a second baseman for now. But you've got ability at third and that's where you began. Stupid computer. He looks a few years away from the majors still.

Jay Muns, LF, Eau Claire Paws
Finished 2nd in the UL Rookie of the Year balloting last year.

David Bowman, SP, Santa Rosa Peanuts
Looks like he'll be a shining star for a while. Just 18 and already the #2 starter in Santa Rosa, he's surely looking forward to what'll amount to a pretty substantial payday once he's able to become a free agent.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

A look at some team names:

EAU CLAIRE PAWS

The Eau Claire Bears were a minor league team from 1933-1942 and again from 1946-1962. I loved their logo and decided immediately I had to have a team there, but wanted to deviate from the Bears name since it was so generic, so I called them the Paws.

SANTA ROSA PEANUTS

Charles Schultz, creator of Peanuts cartoons hails from Santa Rosa. Peanuts are a name of great historical value in the FOOL universe and so, it was a match made in heaven.

PITTSBURGH GRAYS
Based in Providence until the 1867 season, the Grays are an homage to the Homestead Grays of the Negro Leagues who shared time between Homestead, PA & Washington, D.C.

VICTORIA COUGARS
The Cougars are named after the 1925 Stanley Cup Champion Victoria Cougars who eventually disbanded, but had most of their players relocate to Detroit to a franchise named the Detroit Cougars (an homage to their defunct club) and who eventually became the Detroit Red Wings.

We're just scratching the surface, with these. There are others. Half the fun of a league like this is coming up with and researching names for squads.

Remember, we're operating in modern times, despite the way the years look. I just didn't want to start in the 2000s and sim into the 2100s, because that's jarring to me, so I decided to sim from an earlier time to generate history instead.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-01-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #23
muns
Pro Starter

Sweet. All 3 guys that were created either look good or look like they will be really good. Following them should be fun.

The league set up look cool with the names DC
Old 10-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #24
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1872 LOS ANGELES SERAPHS
TEAM PREVIEW

Incoming:
2B Justin Cripps (FA)
3B/SS Mat Johansen (FA)
CF Mark Wilkinson (Trade)

We decided if you can't beat them, steal them. I don't keep up with upcoming free agents on other teams, so much to my delight, Mat Johansen was a free agent and I was hellbent on doing whatever I had to, in order to bring him here. Not just as a trump card to New York (though, that helped) but more because he's precisely what we needed. So I was delighted when he signed with us. Joining him from New York is infielder Justin Cripps. He wasn't a key member of the title team, but I felt like he was a nice upgrade for us anyway.

Wilkinson is on the tail end of his career, but spent the entire bulk of it with the Baseball Club whether in Pacific, WA or Enderby, England or most recently in Philadelphia...he's been the constant on that franchise. But a falling out with management resulted in him being put on the block and we snapped him up in exchange for SP Haden Perris

PROSPECT TO WATCH FOR:
SP Jaime Juarez
We're in LA. And this guy has been generating buzz since the day we drafted him three years ago. I brought him up last year to get some experience and now he's poised to head into the rotation for real. He's got some pretty outstanding measurables and like I said, it's not often a rookie sells jerseys like this before he even gets his first MLB start, but this kid has the whole city eating out of his hand.

LF Ramon Escarceja
We acquired him in the deal back in '67 that sent Lars-Erik Johansen to Bantam (I was confused, we dealt him to BAN, then he went back to WAS before signing with New York to win three titles with his son and then retire again.) and the only reason I could feel comfortable with that deal was knowing this guy would be the real deal. Again, it's straight up pandering to the Hispanic community in LA, but the team is still new here and we've been successful, but I wanted guys on the club that people could identify with and well, he's one that will accomplish that for 'em.

In any case, I think after last season, I feel like this year's club is better no question. And I feel like we're more poised for the playoffs, too. It's hard to say, such a crapshoot and such. But, if we were ever going to do it, I guess this is the year it'd happen.

Or at least, for the future of my job I hope so. Because no title this year and I will be fired.
=========================
The soup de jour in this league is parity. Good teams win early if they draft and sign well, but once that ends, they end up having to pay the guys who play for them, they're usually not able to afford the big ticket guys and have to jettison them and start again. New York experienced this after their three-peat, as many of the core members of that squad went away.

The league is designed this way on purpose. Parity is no accident, but teams can still reel off playoff runs and title defenses, yet, it's not the sort of league where teams can stockpile cheap talent and hold onto it for years on end.

By design.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #25
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

ON FIRINGS...

I took a cue from this thread about firings in multi-player to create a formula for myself to determine how I keep my job from year to year.

It's developed from the start of my career, though if I wanted to, I could start from scratch after each gig too. I'm not yet, but could in the future since I've had such a long career.

In any case, the formula starts like this:

(Season Wins + 50) - (Previous Season Wins + 75)

After that first season, it's like this:

(Season Wins + Playoff Bonus + Previous Yr Score) - (Previous Season Wins + 75)

If a team wins over 100 games, the bonus you get for making the 1st round of the playoffs is negated. The playoff bonuses are:

1st round: 50
2nd round: 100
League Finalist: 150
Champion: 300

So over my fairly long career, I've won 3 titles and made the finals six times. Still, at present I only have 157 points.

The reason? I've been on a team that's won a lot, so if you can't maintain that standard in the post-season, then your numbers dwindle quickly and you're in jeopardy of losing your job. Once you're in the negative, you lose your job.

For instance, if I managed to win 92 games this year and miss the playoffs (unlikely, but go with it) and won 87 games next year and did the same thing, I'd get fired.

But that's really because I've built up quite a bit of credit over the years. I wasn't using this formula until now, but had I been using it earlier in my career, I'd have been canned twice. In 1802 after seasons of 73 wins, 71 wins and 70 wins in Victoria and again in 1808 after seasons of 75, 68, 64 and 77 wins in Victoria (and mind you, during that time I had a title and a finals appearance the following year. So I'd have been fired four years after making the title series.)

So the formula is neat, a nice solo twist and I'm going to start using it now. If you want the excel spreadsheet I made, lemme know and I'll upload it.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #26
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This is surely the last year in LA for me. We've got too many holes really to try to rig this hitch for another few years, at least at the level we've been at and I'm going to retire my current GM guy and create a new one, since having a guy exist for over 100 years would be strange.

I think we'll be fine qualifying for the playoffs, the real story is going to be whether I've arranged the team appropriately to outlast everyone else in a playoff run. It's a crapshoot, but...I'd like to go out on top.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #27
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Here's the 1872 Regular Season Final Standings

Code:
Union League Standings Eastern Division W L PCT GB Buffalo Blue Wings 92 70 .568 - New York Gothams 92 70 .568 - Philadelphia Baseball 84 78 .519 8.0 Boston Yanks 82 80 .506 10.0 Bantam Originals 77 85 .475 15.0 Jacksonville Red Caps 74 88 .457 18.0 St. Petersburg Pelicans 74 88 .457 18.0 Pittsburgh Grays 67 95 .414 25.0 Central Division W L PCT GB Washington Maroons 107 55 .660 - Carolina Wrens 96 66 .593 11.0 Memphis Elephants 91 71 .562 16.0 Minneapolis Millers 81 81 .500 26.0 Evansville Triplets 80 82 .494 27.0 Chicago Blue Collars 68 94 .420 39.0 St. Louis Stars 66 96 .407 41.0 Eau Claire Paws 62 100 .383 45.0 Western Division W L PCT GB Los Angeles Seraphs 112 50 .691 - Boulder Profs 90 72 .556 22.0 Colorado City Gold Sox 84 78 .519 28.0 Santa Rosa Peanuts 84 78 .519 28.0 Victoria Cougars 79 83 .488 33.0 Houston Buffalos 74 88 .457 38.0 Shreveport Gassers 70 92 .432 42.0 San Rafael Keepers 58 104 .358 54.0

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-01-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #28
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Here the Opening Round Series matchups:

Los Angeles v. Santa Rosa
Buffalo v. New York
Memphis v. Carolina
Boulder v. Washington
Old 10-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #29
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Here are the results from the ORS:

Los Angeles def. Santa Rosa 4 games to 0
Buffalo def. New York 4 games to 1
Carolina def. Memphis 4 games to 2
Washington def. Boulder 4 games to 3

DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES MATCHUPS

Los Angeles v. Boulder
Washington v. Carolina
Old 10-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #30
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Los Angeles def. Buffalo 4 games to 1
Washington def. Carolina 4 games to 3
Old 10-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Los Angeles 1872 Daylight Series Champions
Friday, October 25th, 1872: At Angel City Stadium today Los Angeles outclassed the Washington Maroons 7-3 and won the FOOL-Daylight Daylight Series for the 1st time in its club history.

The Seraphs rounded out the 1872 season with a 112-50 mark and wound up in first place in the Union League Western Division pennant chase.

We won the Series 5 games to 4, after being up 4 games to 1 in the series.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:35 AM   #32
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Player Updates

David Bowman, Santa Rosa

Jay Muns, Eau Claire

William Omark, Jacksonville

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-02-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #33
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Someone at OOTP Forums asked for me to post the spreadsheet for whether to keep or fire the manager, so I'm going to post it here too.

So feel free to check it out if you like.
Attached Files
File Type: xls jobsheet.xls (23.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 10-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've retired my human manager, will sim into the 1900s and then start with a new guy. What's nice about fast-sim solo is you can go as fast as you want to.

Just so you know, there will be another expansion sometime in the 1900s too that will expand the league from 24 teams to 30 teams. We'll go from 3 divisions to 5 divisions and the playoffs will go from Top 2 teams in each division + 2 wild cards to division champs only and 3 wild cards.

That should be probably 50 years away, but...just an FYI.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've simmed to 1890 so far and we're at the tail end (or the end) of our created players careers. Two of the three seem like Hall of Fame locks.

David Bowman

He's spent his entire career in Santa Rosa, racking up 379 wins and 4th all time on the strikeout list with 6398 (the record is Nelson Mares 6704) and he's within striking (hehe) distance of that depending on how the next few years ago for the 37-year old hurler. He was pitcher of the year in 1878 too.

Jay "Money" Muns
He's indeed been money. He became the 14th player in UL history to rack 4000 hits this past season. After spending the first 3 years of his career in Eau Claire, he signed with Carolina as a free agent and has spent the rest of his career thus far as a Wren. Most impressive, he's a two-time MVP ('77, '84) of the league as well. At 40 years old, his career is winding down, but there is no doubt he'll be remembered among the greats in the history of this league.

William Omark

His career ended five years ago in 1885. He bounced around a bit, 3 years in Pittsburgh, a year in Chicago, three in Santa Rosa and splitting the last three years of his career in Washington, Victoria and San Rafael respectively. He 1277 career hits and a .251 career batting average. Not bad for a 9th round pick.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-03-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #36
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

For those of you scoring at home, at the end of the 1890 season, a few changes happened in the league.

The San Rafael Keepers folded and were replaced by the Santa Ana Oranges. The Keepers players went to Santa Ana.

The Boulder Profs merged with the Colorado City Gold Sox. But only some of their players went over. Basically their best prospects and major leaguers who weren't FA to be went to Colorado City, the minor leaguers who weren't stayed in the minors to be shifted to a new club and the rest of the major leaguers were all released.

The team that replaced the Profs are the Salt Lake City Elders.

Playoffs format has also been changed slightly. Instead of there being 3 wild cards and 1st and 2nd place teams from each division qualifying for the playoffs, it's now division champs from the 3 divisions and 5 wild cards. Meaning that tougher divisions could qualify more teams, squeezing out fluke teams from weak divisions that advance as a result of that.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:49 PM   #37
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

And I had nothing to do with this, but David Bowman signed a 2-year deal worth $14.585 million with the Carolina Wrens after the '90 season and for at least two years, the only two active created guys we've got in the league will spend their years on the same team. How fun is that?

David Bowman got his 400th victory in 1891, too.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #38
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Mat Johansen's son and Lars-Erik Johansen's grandson Thom Johansen was drafted in the 1st round (9th overall pick) by the Los Angeles Seraphs in the 1892 draft. He's a pitcher like his grandfather was and I doubt he'll be as dominating, but..I thought it was neat that was good enough to go in the 1st round like his dad and that he fell to the 9th pick to the same team that both of those guys played for. Again, wish I could've orchestrated it, but I didn't...it was just the magic of the game.

All the better, really. And yes, I do intend to keep the Johansen family saga going for pretty much the entire dynasty, because it's kinda fun. I've even edited their player cards to indicate they relations. I just edited a guy who was already in the draft to be Thom Johansen and had him born in Houston (since Mat played there for the bulk of his career)

There will be another son who'll show up when this iteration of sim stops in 1900, too. Probably an infielder, but I haven't decided yet...maybe a full-time outfielder. Not sure, though.

Alou brothers eat your heart out.

Also, I'm going to at some point in the first part of the 1900s, create a second league and move some of the teams from the UL over to this new one. I just think it looks a little better and better to do it now than to wait 50 years, I figure. There might be an expansion team or two as a result, but we'll just see.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-04-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:41 AM   #39
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

12 teams from the Union League have split and created their own league called the Presidents League starting with the 1897 season.

As a result, the UL went and added two more teams for that season. The new schedule will include interleague play and for the first-time ever, an All-Star Game between the leagues.

The new playoff format is 3 division champions and 1 wild card from each league.

Union League
East
New York Gothams
Boston Yanks
Philadelphia Baseball Club
Wilmington Quicksteps (EXPANSION)

Central
Minneapolis Millers
Chicago Blue Collars
Pittsburgh Grays
St. Louis Perfectos
Eau Claire Paws

West
Fresno Haymakers (Expansion)
Santa Rosa Peauts
Victoria Cougars
Salt Lake City Elders
Los Angeles Seraphs

PRESIDENTS LEAGUE
East
Carolina Wrens
Buffalo Blue Wings
Bantam Originals
Cleveland Broncs (formerly Evansville Triplets)

Southern Division
St. Petersburg Pelicans
Memphis Elephants
Washington Maroons
Jacksonville Red Caps

Western Division
Santa Ana Oranges
Colorado City Gold Sox
Houston Buffalos
Shreveport Gassers
Old 10-04-2009, 03:56 AM   #40
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

David Bowman is age 43 and pretty much a dead shell of his former self. Yet, he stands 9 wins away from tying the all-time wins record at 471 career wins. I discovered this after coming back to sim and see how things were going and noticed he was the last standing among the three.

Carolina exposed him in the expansion draft and he was taken by Wilmington and then traded to Memphis where he'll be the 4th starter.

I guess we'll see if history can be made!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #41
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

BOWMANWATCH
5-1-1897

0-4, 6.60 ERA, 23 BB, 11 K

(Last year, he went 6-8 with a 6.35 ERA in 20 starts for Carolina with 92 walks and 58 strikeouts.)

9 wins on a bad team just simply might not be possible, sadly.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:01 AM   #42
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

BOWMANWATCH
6-1-1897

0-8, 8.33 ERA, 43 walks, 16 K in 12 starts

(He's the 5th starter in Memphis, having been demoted at the start of the season it seems.)

Ugh. This isn't getting better at all.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:03 AM   #43
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

BOWMANWATCH
7-01-1897

2-10, 8.08 ERA, 30 K, 62 BB in 17 starts

(464 career wins, 7 away from tying the record.)
Old 10-04-2009, 04:05 AM   #44
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

BOWMANWATCH
8-01-1897

3-14, 8.02 ERA (48 K, 76 BB) in 22 starts so far this year.

(6 wins away from the record.)
Old 10-04-2009, 04:13 AM   #45
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh, the other thing about David Bowman is he's the career strikeout leader. He's got 7362 career strikeouts. That's over 600 more K's in his career than the #2 guy (Nelson Mares)

BOWMANWATCH
8-29-1897

(4-16, 8.06 ERA, 57 K, 103 BB, 28 starts)
Old 10-04-2009, 04:18 AM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh, the other thing about David Bowman is he's the career strikeout leader. He's got 7362 career strikeouts. That's over 600 more K's in his career than the #2 guy (Nelson Mares)

BOWMANWATCH
9-13-1897

(5-18, 63 K, 7.95 ERA in 31 starts)

467 career wins (4 away from the record)

It doesn't look like he'll get the record this year. Bowman is signed to a contract extension for next year, so he could come back, but one wonders if he'll actually do it and whether it's a good idea or not.

Anyone?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #47
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

David Bowman ended his career in 1898. He was released by Memphis and signed a deal with the Salt Lake City Elders and actually rebounded nicely. He went 13-13 with a 4.73 ERA and even pitched decent in the playoffs for the team.

He ended his career with the all-time wins record at 460. He's also the all-time loss leader at 334. 500 wins seemed pretty improbable, though I was tempted to unretire him so he could make a run for it, even if it took him 6 years to do it, but...we'll just leave well enough alone, as he's had a pretty impressive career.

Here's Jay Muns career card.

Ended his career with 4414 hits, good for 3rd all-time. His 663 HRs are 14th all-time and his 1209 stolen bases are 6th on the all-time list. What a career!
Old 10-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #48
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Pitcher of the Year award is named after Nelson Mares. While he may no longer be the all-time wins leader, this guy's career was insane.

Considering he spent most of his years playing on a below average Colorado City team, he has SIX seasons of ERAs under 2.00 during his career. He had thirteen 20+ win seasons.

The MVP is named after Lars-Erik Johansen, given his performance as both a starting pitcher AND a hitter during his illustrious career, as the only guy to win pitcher of the year AND an MVP during his career. (No one has ever done it the same year.)
Old 10-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #49
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Jacksonville Red Caps moved to the South Side of Chicago, IL for the 1899 season and are now known as the Chicago Red Caps.

Mat Johansen's second son Pete Johansen is entering the draft this year, too. He's a second baseman and project a bit better than his brother who save for a cup of coffee a few years ago has been hiding out in the minors in LA for the past few years.

New York signed him as a minor league free agent and he's slated to be a reliever there, he's only 24 (Thom Johansen) so he can still have a productive career, but that Swedish magic isn't on him like his forebears, maybe his baby brother can pick up the luster.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #50
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
David Bowman ended his career in 1898. He was released by Memphis and signed a deal with the Salt Lake City Elders and actually rebounded nicely. He went 13-13 with a 4.73 ERA and even pitched decent in the playoffs for the team.

He ended his career with the all-time wins record at 460. He's also the all-time loss leader at 334. 500 wins seemed pretty improbable, though I was tempted to unretire him so he could make a run for it, even if it took him 6 years to do it, but...we'll just leave well enough alone, as he's had a pretty impressive career.

Here's Jay Muns career card.

Ended his career with 4414 hits, good for 3rd all-time. His 663 HRs are 14th all-time and his 1209 stolen bases are 6th on the all-time list. What a career!

That is damn cool!! Thanks for adding us DC.