Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-19-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

Grey Star the Wizard: A World of Lone Wolf Dynasty

Since Abe's taking Lone Wolf, I'll take the Grey Star the Wizard series. It's a much shorter series than Lone Wolf, composed of just four books, but I found the story to be better and more appealing in many ways. I also liked the game mechanics system.

I'm also going to try an experiment here. While I'll be posting the text from the books, I'll also try my hand at writing interludes that aren't part of the book, but that I feel still would be in character for Grey Star relative to his current situation in the story.

If I die, I start over.

If I live and complete Book 1 titled Grey Star the Wizard, I'll continue the character on to Book 2 to give the fullest sense of the story arc, and so on. If I die in Book 2, then it's all the way back to the beginning in Book 1.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

As I said, one of the things I find most compelling about the Grey Star series even to this day is the richness of the story. The preamble to Grey Star the Wizard is much longer than that of Lone Wolf's, but here it is anyway:

Preamble
Ancient days they were when first the Shianti set foot upon the land that men call Magnamund. Long had they journeyed through the void, homeless wanderers in search of a place to call their own. And so it was that when the Shianti first looked upon the face of the land, their hearts were raised in wonder. They saw a world of nameless mountains, untamed forests and lands both wild and free. Here they chose to cease their wanderings and to devote themselves to the study and appreciation of this new-found land.

To the delight of the Shianti, the race of man first emerged at this time and they watched his early struggle towards civilization with eager concern. Like gods the Shianti seemed to the minds of primitive men. Tall and proud, shining with a radiance that spoke of magic and arcane mystery, the Shianti moved among them and with their powers of wizardry, aided man in his development.

As the centuries passed, man fell to worship of the magical Shianti and the power of these wizards grew even stronger. With hungry hearts they sought to unlock the mysteries of knowledge, sending their minds into other planes of existence and strange worlds beyond the sphere of the material plane. Their foresight was now unmatched and the power of their thought was mighty indeed. It was at this time that they created the Moonstone. Woven of the very fabric of the astral plane of Daziarn, this translucent gem was the greatest achievement of Shianti wisdom. It was the binding force of all Shianti magic, containing the combined might of all their wizardry, the sum of all their knowledge. The Golden Age of the Shianti had come and the Moonstone was the instrument of their dominion throughout all Magnamund. Man stood as little more than a shadow, blinded by the shining white light of Shianti glory. But, in creating the Moonstone, the unwritten laws of nature had been transgressed. For the Moonstone, like the Shianti themselves, was something outside of man's own world; it defied the natural order laid down by the creators of the Magnamund and disrupted the balance that the gods had designed.

The Goddess Ishir, High Priestess of the Moon and mother of all men, showed herself to the Shianti and spoke to them of the destiny of man: 'The children of this world must claim their inheritance. Their time has come and they must learn to stand alone. They are lost in their worship of you and the day draws ever nearer when they will covet the power of the Moonstone.'

And the Shianti said: 'Forgive us, Great Goddess, for we intended no harm. We love mankind even as you do. We have sought to do good and protect your children from harm.'

But Ishir replied, 'Of this there can be no doubt, but this world is not your realm. Man must be free to pursue his destiny alone, and you must leave, for you trespass on his domain.'

The Shianti were filled with sorrow. They feared a return to the void and to their lonely wandering, and pleaded with Ishir that she might allow them to remain. Ishir was filled with pity for them. She spoke again, saying, 'If you are to remain, you must obey my command. You must take a vow never to interfere with mankind's fate. As a token of good faith you must lay aside the Moonstone, and return it to the plane where it belongs.'

Solemnly, the Shianti agreed. The vow was sworn before Ishir, and the Moonstone was returned to the Daziarn. The Shianti then moved south to the Isle of Lorn. They encircled their new home with a web of enchantments, magical mists and mage winds to prevent man from ever finding their place of refuge in the Sea of Dreams. Knowledge of the Shianti faded with time, save in southern Magnamund where it became enshrined in legend, and the worship of them endured. Priests of the Shianti religion preserved their teachings and patiently awaited the day when the 'ancient ones' would return, bringing with them lasting peace and the blessing of a new golden age.

Two thousand years strode by and man advanced as Ishir had foretold. He built great cities and cultivated the land; his kingdoms rose and fell; he made war and loved and laughed and became master of his fate. But a new power was emerging in the province of Shadaki. There Shasarak the evil Wytch-king ruled. The black necromancer commanded an army of brutal soldiers and had a devoted following of men who upheld his religion of demonic worship and sacrificial rites. Devotees of the Shianti and other religious cults were persecuted in a merciless purge. Ruthlessly, the Wytch-king destroyed all his opponents and began a terrible war with the peoples of the neighbouring provinces. From the ruins of war Shasarak shaped the Shadakine Empire, subjugating whole nations to his evil rule. As the provinces fell to his might, the Shianti looked on helplessly, bound by their vow to the Goddess Ishir never to interfere in the affairs of man.

On the night of the crowning of Shasarak as Overlord of the Shadakine Empire, a great storm broke upon the Sea of Dreams, a storm that raged with unnatural intensity. Lashed by wind and rain, illuminated by wild lightning, the waters heaved and danced in fury to the thundering music of the storm, unchecked by even the enchantments of the Shianti. When finally the tempest died, the Shianti looked out in amazement on the shattered hull of a ship drifting towards their shore. Never before had this occurred, for the enchantments and mage winds had kept them secure from the curiosity of man by forcing him to sail close to his own land.

The Shianti went quickly to the ruined ship where they found only one survivor--a baby. They perceived the sudden arrival of this human child as a sign of great portent, and they conceived a plan by which they might lawfully aid mankind. They named the orphan child Grey Star, because a star is the symbol of hope in the Shianti faith, and because of the silver streak in the child's jet-black hair. In the shadow of the wrath of the Goddess Ishir, they raised the child as one of their own and taught him their secrets. Diligently they set about their instruction, for their aim was to provide a saviour for mankind. Armed with the might of Shianti wizardry and wisdom, their hope was to create an adversary equal in power to the evil Wytch-king of Shadaki, for they realized that only with the death of Shasarak would man once more be free to determine his destiny.

The Story So Far... (updated with every book)
You are Grey Star, trained in the secret arts of a Shianti wizard. Sixteen years have passed since you arrived on the Isle of Lorn, the hidden realm of the Shianti race, when you are called to a meeting of your Shianti masters.

'Grey Star,' says Acarya, High Wizard of the Shianti, 'you have been summoned to this meeting so that we may lay before you a quest of great importance. Your people, the race of man, are slaves of an evil tyrant, Shasarak the Wytch-king of Shadaki. He has made pacts with demons and has captured the spirits of the dead who do his bidding as undead slaves. He has the power to control the minds of men; none can resist him and the land of your birth cries out in fear of the cruel hand that crushes its heart. No power remains intact to challenge the might of the Wytch-king. Our ancient vow to the Goddess Ishir forbids us from intervening in the fate of man, and the Moonstone now lies hidden on another plane. We have taught you the ways of Shianti magic in the hope that one day you would take up this quest--to recover the Moonstone and use its power to destroy the Wytch-king. You are human. No vow prohibits you from leaving the Isle of Lorn, nor are you forbidden to aid mankind in any way you choose. No charge is laid upon you to accept the quest, yet if you refuse, your people will be doomed to a choice between slavery and destruction at the hands of the Wytch-king of Shadaki.'

Bravely and without hesitation, you give Acarya your decision, but your voice trembles as you speak: 'I accept the quest of the Moonstone. What must I do?'

There are sighs of relief all round. 'You have made us proud this day, son of man,' says Acarya, smiling. 'The Moonstone lies hidden in the Daziarn plane, which can only be entered by locating its portal. We know this can be found in the lands of men: it is called the "Shadow Gate". However, it rarely remains in any one location for more than a day and is invisible to human sight. For this reason you must seek out the Lost Tribe of Lara, a race of primitive but magical creatures we call the Kundi. They possess the gift of astral vision, which enables them to see the Shadow Gate. Once, long ago, the Kundi inhabited the forests and mountains of Lara. Before the Shadakine army invaded the free provinces of the south, they passed through the mountains of Lara, using the Morn Pass. There the Shadakine army were frequently ambushed and delayed by the Kundi, who always disappeared into the safety of the forests before the Shadakine could retaliate. Finally, in desperation, the Wytch-king burnt the forests, and the Kundi were forced to flee. To this day, no one is sure where the Kundi went, and consequently men refer to them as the Lost Tribe of Lara. Your first task is to find the lost tribe and persuade them to guide you to the Shadow Gate. Your training is incomplete but you must begin without delay. The Shadakine Empire now stretches to the very shores of the Sea of Dreams, and the power of the Wytch-king grows with each passing day. Our presence is known to him and his attention is often turned towards us, probing our defences and testing the measure of our powers. He is hungry for new conquest, and though he fears us, the day is sure to come when he will cross the Sea of Dreams to challenge the Shianti.'

Acarya places his hands upon your shoulders and looks deeply into your eyes. 'The fate of humanity and of the Shianti depends on the success of your quest. Find the Moonstone, Grey Star. . . . You are our only hope; if you fail then all is lost.'

Old 11-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

You know it's a good idea if someone copies you the very day you start your dynasty! Good luck Grey Star!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
You know it's a good idea if someone copies you the very day you start your dynasty! Good luck Grey Star!

Thanks. I have a feeling this may be a fairly short dynasty, but we'll see.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:56 AM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

Basic Game Mechanics - Statistics Generation

Much like the Lone Wolf series, there's a random number selection for your Combat Skill (# + 10) and Endurance (# + 20). Endurance, as Abe I think mentioned, but just in case he didn't, can never go above your original score.

Combat Skill Roll = 6 = 16 CS
Endurance Roll = 3 = 23 EP

That's a decent combat roll, though I'm not thrilled with the endurance.

But wait, there's more! This series also involves Will Power (WP). After all, you're a mage, right? WP is essentially the same thing as Mana, Magic Points, whatever you want to call it. In order to use magic powers, you have to expend WP points. Furthermore, to use your magic staff in battle, you also need to spend WP points. If you have 0 WP points, you can't use magic or your staff, which creates -BIG- problems. On the bright side, Willpower -can- go above your starting total, which is cool. Like Endurance, it's a d10 + 20.

Willpower Roll = 5 = 25 WP

So just to recap:

16 Combat Skill
25 Willpower
23 Endurance

Basic Game Mechanics - Power Selection
There's 5 of 7 Lesser Magick powers that you've learned at the start of your adventure. So here's a brief rundown and discussion of them.

Sorcery
This Power allows a wizard to transform his thoughts or desires into magical energy. By concentration of the will it is possible to create magical shields of force to bar doors or move objects. Sorcery drains more WILLPOWER points than any other Magical Power, and is most effective when your WILLPOWER points are high.

Enchantment
The Power of Enchantment enables a wizard to charm or beguile other creatures, and create illusions in the minds of others. He will be able to extract information from others, place thoughts and compulsions into another's mind or cause them to believe that imaginary events are actually taking place. Some magical or highly intelligent beings may be immune to the powers of Enchantment.

Elementalism
The Power of elemental magic allows a wizard some control over the natural elements of Air, Fire, Earth and Water. By entering a trance and chanting incantations, you may summon aid from the spirits of the Elemental Plane. Elementals have very little understanding of man, and for this reason a wizard can never be sure of the nature of the aid the Elementals may send.

Alchemy
A wizard who possesses the Power of Alchemy is able, through the mixing of various substances, to create magical potions. Given the correct ingredients, a potion may restore lost energy (i.e., ENDURANCE points, WILLPOWER), or temporarily improve various abilities (e.g., COMBAT SKILL). The use of Alchemy may also allow a wizard to alter the nature of substances (e.g., change lead into gold), but the necessary ingredients and the correct equipment (e.g., a pestle and mortar) must be at hand. The use of the Power of Alchemy drains no WILLPOWER.

Prophecy
The Power of Prophecy allows a wizard to foretell the future through meditation. A meditative state will allow a wizard to make the correct decision when facing conflicting choices or difficult actions; to discover the whereabouts of a person he has once met, or an object he has once seen. It may also allow him to determine the true nature of a stranger or a strange object. Magical beings or objects are sometimes hidden from the Power of Prophecy.

Psychomancy
This Power bestows upon a wizard the ability to deduce facts about events by touching objects connected to them. Through deep concentration, a wizard may lay his hands upon any inanimate object and visualize scenes that have affected it. Visions brought about through the use of Psychomancy are often cryptic, taking the form of a riddle or puzzle. Some magic items are resistant to the use of Psychomancy and may, sometimes, impart misleading information.

Evocation
Mastery of this Power permits contact with the spirit realm. A wizard wishing to speak with the dead, or to call up a form from the spirit world, must draw a magic pentacle and enter a trance, when the use of the correct spell-chant will reach out to the Spiritual Plane. Standing within the protection of a magic pentacle, a wizard may consider himself to be relatively safe from harm. If he wishes to speak with a corpse, especially one whose former life was good and righteous, then a wizard can expect help and advice. However, contact with those whose former lives were evil or selfish can be a perilous, and often fatal, experience. Evil spirits are reluctant to return to the realm of the dead and may try to trick a wizard into freeing them into the world of the living. All spirits, good and evil, will require some service of the wizard in return for their aid. Any failure to perform this task, however difficult may result in the wizard losing his life.

Discussion
Sorcery may be the most expensive power, but it's also the most useful and the one most often used. Taking it is a no-brainer.

Enchantment is also extremely useful and fun, so it's also in the obvious choice category.

Prophecy is another duh selection, because it's essentially the Grey Star version of Sixth Sense.

The other four are where it gets interesting. Alchemy can be useful, but only if you have the right ingredients and the right supplies to be able to pull it off. It's also the most boring power in my opinion. Psychomancy and Elementalism can be real crapshoots, especially Elementalism, because of how unpredictable elementals are. Evocation isn't used very much, but there's one sequence in particular I absolutely *love* using it for in Book 1, so I'm taking it.

So it's down to either Psychomancy or Elementalism and I'll go with Elementalism because I always feel like such a badass when I use that power.

Powers
Sorcery
Enchantment
Prophecy
Evocation
Elementalism

Wizard's Staff

Your Staff is your most valuable possession. It looks and feels like an ordinary quarterstaff, yet it is stronger than any known metal. This is your main combat weapon, for you are untrained in the use of any other form of armed combat. It contains a potent force that is unleashed at will by the power of your mind, and causes a beam of destructive power to hurtle from its tip. Every time you unleash this power you must deduct 1 WILLPOWER point.3

In the event that your enemy survives such an attack or should you fall victim to a surprise attack, you will be forced to engage in close combat and must attempt to strike your enemy with the Staff. If your attack is successful, a bolt of energy will be released from the Staff that is capable of inflicting great physical harm. If you wish to increase the amount of damage that you inflict in this way, you must use more WILLPOWER points and multiply the number of ENDURANCE points lost by the enemy, accordingly. For example, if you chose to expend 3 WILLPOWER points on your attack, all enemy ENDURANCE point losses would be multiplied by three.

If you enter combat without your Staff, deduct 6 points from your COMBAT SKILL If you have no weapon at all, you must deduct 8 points from your COMBAT SKILL.

...Yeah, to be honest, the combat system drove me nuts compared to the Lone Wolf series. Here, you lose a WP point every round combat lasts, as far as I've been able to interpret the rule. Then if you want to pump more damage, you can... but it's more WP drain. You can see how Willpower is the be-all, end-all in this series.

The bad thing? It's possible for your Willpower to go into negative point territory.

Starting Items
Grey Robe and Hooded Cloak of Shianti
Wizard's Staff
Backpack with 4 Meals (This series uses the same meal system as Lone Wolf)
Map of the Shadakine Empire

On your last day on the Isle of Lorn, your Shianti Masters offer you the following gifts to aid you in your quest. According to Shianti custom, you may choose one of them. They are:

* Jewelled Dagger (Special Item) This adds 1 point to your COMBAT SKILL when used in combat.
* Magic Talisman (Special Item) This adds 2 points to your WILLPOWER total.
* Vial of Laumspur (Backpack Item) This restores 4 ENDURANCE points to your total when swallowed after combat. There is enough for one dose.

Now, the one thing I like about the online version is the Errata it provides about confusing points, such as this. The Dagger can be used in tandem with the Quarterstaff to add a +1 to your CS in close range, but if you're fighting with the dagger alone, you get the -6 penalty with your quarterstaff. Of course, it becomes -5, but still useful. The Talisman is a one-shot +2 WP upgrade. Once it's gone, no more free WP points.

So it's either the Dagger or the Laumspur. Both are useful, but I think the dagger will be useful longer-term, especially since the online footnote indicates I can double-wield, so I'll select the Jewelled Dagger.

The system of currency in the Shadakine Empire is the Noble, of which I have none, because my awesome Shianti masters don't understand the concept of money. That's fine. It's easy to get money in the series, essentially by rolling dead guys over for it.

Combat
It works the same as Lone Wolf, where you subtract the enemy's CS from your CS and then roll a d10. The difference is, you must spend at least 1 WP for every round you fight in with your staff. And if you don't fight with your staff, -6 CS. If you don't fight with any weapon at all, -8 CS. As you can see, it gets potentially nasty in a hurry.

Closing Advice
You are about to embark on a quest of great peril, for your journey will take you to an unknown land that is dominated by evil. Refer to the map and make notes as you progress through the story: they are sure to be of great help to you in future adventures.

You will discover items that could be of help to you on your quest. Some Special Items may aid you in future Grey Star adventures, others may be red herrings of no real use at all, so be selective in what you decide to keep.

Be cautious in your use of WILLPOWER points, as your WILLPOWER is the energy source for your Magical Powers and your Wizard's Staff. A score of zero WILLPOWER points will leave you weak and vulnerable to attack, unable to offer effective resistance.

Follow the path of wisdom, Wizard Grey Star. The way of fools is the road to destruction.

Good luck!

Old 11-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Man, Alchemy was my favorite skill!

Old 11-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Man, Alchemy was my favorite skill!

+1. I guess I'm just a potion-maker at heart.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Izulde
Head Coach

Interesting. My favorite skill is actually Enchantment.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Since I can't read your map:

Here is a clearer one for me.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-20-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
Izulde
Head Coach

Thanks, Abe.

And now... for the story proper to begin...

It is a grim, chill morning, your last on the Isle of Lorn. With quaking heart, you enter the sacred temple of Amida to receive the silent blessing of your Shianti masters. They stand around you, heads bowed in meditation. At length, the ceremony ends and Maiteya, your old friend and teacher, steps forward, and grasps you firmly by the shoulders. You look into his glittering eyes and see yourself reflected there, for the eyes of the Shianti race are not coloured like man's but have pupils that cast reflections like mirrored glass.

'Grey Star,' he says, a warm smile lighting his serene face, 'the time has come for you to leave. Far will you travel and perilous is your course. Be not afraid, yet do not fear caution. Though you go with the teaching and blessing of the Shianti and carry the might of the Wizard's Staff, stealth and secrecy will be your allies. Let not courage defeat wisdom. Go now and seek the Kundi race that are called the Lost Tribe of Lara. You are the instrument of our will, bearer of our hope. Ever will your quest be in our minds and hearts.'

Without a word, you turn and leave the temple, not looking back until you reach the shore, where a sail boat awaits you. With a gentle sigh, you bid farewell to the island of your youth and push the little craft into the cold waters of the Sea of Dreams. You jump into the boat and set sail, making a westward course for the distant mainland of the Shadakine Empire.

***I can use Elementalism to aid my journey or I can choose not to. Willpower may be at a premium, but I like to travel in comfort, so I'm going to use it, gosh darn it.***

You stand up in the boat, close your eyes, and with your hands raised, you enter the required trance state with practised ease, chanting in the secret language of the elementals, and sending out the power of your thought to the elemental plane.

A few moments pass. The breeze begins to lift and the sail fills. You open your eyes and smile with satisfaction. All around are the fleeting forms of Wind Sprites, air elementals sent to hasten your voyage. Then a sudden gust of wind appears out of nowhere and the little boat lurches forward, throwing you to the deck; with a whoop of delight, a Gale Wraith has thrown itself into the taut sail and is propelling the boat forward with great force.

'I thank thee, powers of the air,' you shout with joyous courtesy, struggling to sit up in the boat to steer her on the right course. The spell has been successful and required little power. Deduct 1 point from your WILLPOWER total.

***Go Gale Wraith! WP now at 24.***

The sun has begun to set. Far ahead of you, heading west, you sight a small group of fishing boats. You see growing numbers of these craft as you continue on your way, occasionally spotting larger seagoing vessels. Then your heart gives a leap of joy. You can make out the distant shape of a coastline and a harbour full of hundreds of fishing boats and sail ships. In the orange glow of the setting sun, the domes and spires of a city point challengingly towards the sky. This is the Port of Suhn, the first city you have ever seen.

***I can choose to either enter the port before nightfall or wait until it gets dark. There's advantages and disadvantages to each, but I want to go exploring, so I'll choose to get out now.***

You steer for the harbour and, as you near the stone quayside, you stand to furl the sail. You cut a dramatic figure: hair flowing in the wind; the reddening glow of the setting sun at your back, casting your shadow upon the shallow waters of the Sea of Dreams.

The harbour is very busy; crowds of people rush to and fro. Sailors and fishermen line the harbour wall, busily unloading their crafts in an effort to finish before nightfall. You notice a flurry of activity further along the quayside; by the time you reach it, a small crowd has gathered, and you can hear the murmur of excited conversation. You throw up a rope and eager hands reach out to clutch the line, mooring the boat for you.

The crowd has grown and it is now obvious that you are the focus of their attention. You hear snatches of conversation: 'An Ancient One, an Ancient One from beyond the Sea of Dreams . . .'; 'See you there? Surely a Shianti walks amongst us?'; 'Saw him myself. Came right out of the east, calm as you please!'; 'God of legend, saviour of our people, hail, hail!'

Hands stretch out in greeting while others try desperately to touch your robe, pushing and pulling, as more and more people struggle for a glimpse of your face. 'Who but a god could cross the Sea of Dreams. Save us, Lord!' the crowd begins to shout. 'Destroy the evil Shadakine. Throw down the Wytch-king!'

You can feel the growing hysteria, and to your dismay, you are lifted up on the shoulders of some of the crowd and carried in the direction of two armed soldiers, who are rushing towards you with their swords drawn.

'Destroy the Shadakine warriors, Lord!' someone shouts.

***I have three choices here: Fight the warriors, use Enchantment, or try to escape without magic. As bad ass as it would be to throw down against the Shadakine guards, that's not the smart play, having just arrived. Besides, I rarely miss a chance to turn down my favorite power, so I'll go with Enchantment.***

Still held above the heads of the crowd, you close your eyes and try to concentrate. The noise and confusion about you makes visualization very difficult and you must lose 2 WILLPOWER points before the illusion is complete. To your horror, you see that the two Shadakine warriors have begun to hack a bloody path through the mob towards you.

***...Shit. WP is now down to 22 and people are getting carved up. I can either use Enchantment further or snap out of it and fight. Screw it, I put this much into it, I'll use more.***

Just as the two soldiers break through the wall of injured and fleeing people, the illusion takes effect.

'Let me down. Let me down!' an old woman croaks angrily. The approaching warriors and those who carry you on their shoulders stare at you in disbelief. You have transformed yourself into an old woman carrying a walking stick, or at least that is what the others see.

'Torment a poor old woman would you?' you screech, thumping those nearby on the back, slapping a few heads and tweaking an ear or two before prodding a Shadakine warrior with your Staff. 'And as for you,' you cry indignantly, 'have you no shame? Order this rabble to let me down and show some respect for a woman of my years.' With this, you begin another shower of slaps and thumps to the great amusement of the Shadakine.

Slowly, you are lowered to the ground. Grumbling, you hobble away while puzzled and suspicious eyes look on. However, the Shadakine Warriors are completely fooled, slapping their thighs and roaring with laughter as the stunned crowd disperses in angry silence. A sense of unrest emanates from those who remain behind, and you know that you must leave the harbour area quickly, before your illusion is challenged. An illusion is easily dispelled by one who disbelieves in the image or picture that Enchantment places in the mind, and a visual illusion is hard to maintain for long periods, as details tend to fade and waver after a time, losing their consistency and revealing flaws to the cynical observer.

***Whew. That worked and without having to expend any more WP. I can either leave by the main harbor entrance or go down a dark, narrow street. ...I think I'll stick with the crowds and go the harbor route.***

Before you can approach the main harbour gate, Shadakine war chariots thunder into the harbour area. The crowd scatters in terror, but the people cannot escape the rotating blades of the chariot wheels. Horrified, you watch as the Suhnese people are ruthlessly mown down by the Shadakine.

Suddenly one of the chariots swerves and hurtles towards you. You hear the insane laugh of the driver, and as he draws closer, you see that his eyes have no pupils.

You have barely a few seconds in which to act before the chariot is upon you.

***I can dive into a narrow street or I can fight. Narrow street = war chariot can't get at me, I'm thinking. And a fight with multiple chariots in the area is just stupid. Dive into street, I go.***

You dash away from the harbour and along the narrow street, darting like a hunted beast among the doorways and shadows. Tall warehouse buildings rise up on either side of the street, and the only sound you can hear is that of your own footsteps.

You have run only a short way when you reach a crossroads. The right and left turnings lead into alleyways, while the narrow street continues ahead.

***I can either use the power of Prophecy, go left, go right, or straight ahead. Naturally I'm using Prophecy, which tells me that there's danger if I go down either of the alleys, so I continue straight ahead. 1 WP's spent to save my bacon and I'm down to 21 WP.***

The narrow street widens and grows lighter. The source of the light is the window of a grim, stone building at the end of the street which opens on to the market square. Above the doorway of the building hangs a sign which reads:
INN OF THE LAUGHING MOON

You decide that you must try to find some information from the Suhnese inhabitants. Perhaps you can pick up some clues about the whereabouts of the Lost Tribe of Lara.

***I can either enter the Inn or try the marketplace for information. I'm tired, so I'm heading to the Inn.***

Tentatively you push open the door and enter a smoky room. The inn is filled with the sounds of contending voices, shouting drunkards and the laughter of serving girls. The customers are many and varied: merchants, seamen, fishermen and all sorts of travellers rub shoulders here.

***I can either buy a drink or not. I still have no money, so I don't.***

You notice a spare seat and sit down. Also seated at the table are three others, one of whom may be able to help you locate the Lost Tribe of Lara. You try to decide with whom to attempt a conversation.

***So I have a choice of using Prophecy, talking to the snoring tattooed sailor, the drunk and richly dressed merchant or the stereotypical black hooded figure in the stereotypical dark corner. Something like this isn't worth using Prophecy for, in my opinion. Drunkie will blab my business and the sailor's asleep, so it defaults to stereotypical guy.***

You speak to the man shrouded in shadow, noting the wooden, fish-shaped amulet hung around his neck. This is the symbol of the silent order of 'Redeemers', a religious sect persecuted throughout the Shadakine Empire, though their purposes remain a mystery.

Instead of replying, the black-robed pilgrim puts a finger to his lips and hands you two items: a vial, containing a Pink Liquid, and a Medallion, inscribed with a rune. If you wish to keep these items, mark the Vial of Pink Liquid as a Backpack Item and the Medallion as a Special Item (worn around your neck) on your Action Chart.

Before you can examine these items more closely, four Shadakine warriors burst into the inn. They seem to be looking for someone. Without a word, the 'Redeemer' leaves.

Suddenly, a mug of ale is placed in front of you. The affable merchant sitting opposite has bought you a drink; he is shouting a happy greeting to you and asking your name.

***Pink Liquid and Redeemer Medallion added to the list. Awesome. Not so awesome. The warriors looking around. I can either accept the drink from the merchant or leave the inn. This is a tough call, because I'm betting these warriors are looking for me. On the other hand, the merchant could be a useful ally. I'm also probably thirsty at this point, so I'll take that drink.***

You strike up a conversation with the red-faced merchant. His name is Shan Li, a trader familiar with all parts of the Shadakine empire and many strange lands beyond. Carefully, you steer the conversation to the subject of the Lost Tribe of Lara.

'Ah now,' begins the drunken merchant with some relish, 'the legend, eh? Well, there are many stories, and in my travels I have heard most of them. No word of the Laranese have I ever heard in the far north, the free kingdoms of the Lastlands, nor here in the Shadakine Empire. No indeed, the only story I ever heard that seemed authentic came to me in the city of Elzian where I was trading with the Magicians of Dessi. There I heard a story of the exile of the Lost Tribe to the cloud forests of the far south, that perilous place named the Azanam. Others, though, speak of the forested Shuri Mountains.'

In a very loud voice, the merchant begins relating one of the many stories he has heard about the Laranese. You notice that many people are fuming to stare, muttering and whispering. Before you can attempt to quieten him, a hand grabs your shoulder. You and the merchant have been arrested by four burly Shadakine guards.

***Oops. Well, at least I have the necessary information. Next time, we report from a Shadakine jail!***

Old 11-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
[b]Map of the Shadakine Empire

Hmmmm, somehow that map looks very familiar... I think I lost some gold pieces somewhere in Desolation Valley. Some magician always pulled a 21 out of his hat, or something.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I love how the elders are like "Stealth and secrecy are your friend" and you just jump out of the harbor in the middle of a bustling day because you feel like exploring. I'm sure the rest of the Shianti are smacking themselves in the forehead saying "Where did we go wrong with this one?"
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

Honolulu Blue: I never noticed that till you mentioned it just now.

JAG: Well, one could also argue that a crowd provides stealth and secrecy by virtue of mass numbers.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
Izulde
Head Coach

You raise your arms in a gesture of surrender and are immediately seized and led away. Your Wizard's Staff and Backpack are taken from you, and your hands are tied behind your back.

You are frog-marched through the city and taken to a large, black stone citadel, called the Hall of Correction where, despite your pleas of innocence, you are unceremoniously dumped. 'You can tell your story to Mother Magri now, stranger,' growls one of the Shadakine. 'The Test of Truth will sort you out soon enough.'

Roughly, you are pushed up a long flight of stone stairs and into a small, bare antechamber. An old woman sits at a wooden table. In front of her is a crystal ball, glowing with a dim, yellow light.

***But I still have my dagger, for some odd reason. Go figure.***

'Sit, child,' says the old woman, gesturing to the chair opposite. 'I am Mother Magri, seer of the Kazim Stone, Law Giver to the city of Suhn, Truthsayer of Shadaki in the service of the Wytch-king, Shasarak.' The old crone peers at you with hypnotic eyes. 'Look into the Kazim Stone, boy,' she commands, 'that the truth may be revealed.'

Unable to resist, your eyes are drawn by the power of the Stone as it shines brightly, filling the chamber with a lurid yellow glow. With a gasp of horror, you feel fiery fingers reach into your mind and clutch at your will. Your mind is being read by a potent magical force.

***Is my Willpower more than 15? Yes. It's 21 and that's a good thing.***

'You have power, young stranger,' murmurs Mother Magri. 'I sense some wizardry in you. How came this to be I wonder? Whom do you serve?'

I really, really hate this woman

If you do not resist the power of the Kazim Stone, your quest and its origin will be revealed to this servant of the Wytch-king.

***I have 3 resist options here. Use the power of Sorcery to destroy the Kazim stone, use the power of Sorcery to shield my mind against the Stone's probes, or try to resist it with sheer Willpower. Going sheer WP would be just stupid and I have a feeling being on the defensive would only last so long. Only thing to do is attack the source and go after the stone directly.

I'm then asked if I want to pour 2, 3, or 4 WP points into the attack. You best be believing I'm going full throttle with all 4, which takes me down to 17 WP.***

You fling the energy ball at the Kazim Stone. The cost of propelling this thought mass costs an extra 2 WILLPOWER points.

There is a tremendous flash as the two forces clash and the energy envelopes the stone. White light fills the room, momentarily blinding you

***15 WP. Wonder what I'll see when the light clears.***

To the amazement of Mother Magri, the light of the Kazim Stone is suddenly snuffed out. You slump forward, exhausted by your exertions, and Mother Magri jumps to her feet, howling curses and abuse.

'You dare to resist!' she screams. 'Guards! Throw this one into the dungeons. It seems that sterner measures are needed to wring the truth from our fledgling wizard,' and she smiles wickedly.

You have exerted 4 WILLPOWER points and 4 ENDURANCE points in this duel with the Kazim Stone.

***11 WP, 19 EP. That low amount of Willpower is starting to scare me a bit.***

Senseless with exhaustion, you are dragged forcibly from the chamber, down long flights of stairs and into the darkness of the dungeons of the Hall of Correction. Your senses rail against the ominous and overpowering feeling of oppression that seems imbued into the walls of the place. A tortuous scream fills the air, followed by the sound of brutal laughter. 'What was that?' you whisper, hoarsely.

'You'll find out soon enough,' one of the Shadakine replies. 'Jailer! Lock this one up!' A tattered cripple lurches towards you, a large bunch of keys rattling at his side.

'Here, Master Turnkey. Lock him up nice and safe now.'

The jailer limps forwards, a mad and joyous expression on his face. 'Marvellous, simply marvellous,' he giggles. 'Another guest. How wonderful to meet you.'

An iron-shod door is unlocked and you are thrown into a dark and foul-smelling pit. You fall headlong down a flight of steps and lose consciousness before coming to rest on the straw-covered floor.

***Hello, House of Horrors. I'm asked if I've been arrested at the Inn of the Laughing Moon or elsewhere, incidentally. I have, so I flip to that section.***

When you waken, your head aches and your vision is blurred. Realization of your terrible plight come flooding back, and you lift your head to look around. In the far corner sits the now sober and miserable figure of Shan Li, the merchant from the Inn of the Laughing Moon.

'So they got you too, friend,' says Shan Li, wryly.

The only other occupant of the cell is a sick old man who lies, barely moving, upon a wooden pallet. Your Wizard's Staff and Backpack have been taken from you, but you still possess any items not carried in the Backpack (for example, your Herb Pouch).

Shan turns towards you. 'Innocent. I am innocent of any crime, save the possession of a loud voice and the consumption of too much ale. It is said that those who enter the Hall of Correction are never seen again. Surely, they will not leave us to rot in this hell-hole. What ever am I to do?'

You talk with the merchant for some time, discovering many stories about the Lost Tribe of Lara: of their flight into the Shuri Mountains, and the legend of their pilgrimage beyond the Kashima Mountains into the Unknown Valley and the Forest of Fernmost. You find yourself growing to like this little man with his dry humour and ironic quips.

'I'll guide you anywhere you want to go, if you can get us out of here,' he says, half joking; but he can see by the look in your eyes that you take his offer seriously, and that to you escape is not an impossible dream.

A young girl brings three bowls of rice, and lingers for a while to stare at you through the iron grille of the door. You thank the girl kindly for this simple act. 'Blessed is the giver, richer through the giving of a gift,' you say, according to the old Shianti custom. Startled, the young girl disappears.

You go over to the old man, who is obviously dying, and offer him some food. 'Twenty years,' he rants, gripping your arm. 'Twenty years I've been here, for no crime at all. Soon I will die.' Sadly, you learn that the old man was once a Shianti priest, a worshipper of the memory of your Shianti masters, imprisoned for his religion and for keeping alive the memory of the Shianti.

***Mmm, young girl. Oh, I mean, uhh... yeah this is a sucky situation for all involved. I love the touch of the Shianti priest here and I'm offered the choice of giving the old man a potion of Laumspur to ease his pain if I have it and want to. I'd love to, but I took the dagger over the potion, so I don't. Like I said. Sucky situation.***

The old Shianti priest is about to speak, when he gives a great gasp and dies in your arms. With tears in your eyes, you turn to Shan. 'He is dead,' you say sorrowfully.

The merchant hangs his head. 'Then we are doomed,' he groans.

You sit back, deep in thought. You are tired and quickly fall asleep.

Your sad and troubled mind is further disturbed by the death of the priest, and your sleep is plagued with nightmares of torture and persecution.

With heavy heart you greet the dawn. The old Shianti priest lies dead upon his pallet. After a short time the young girl who brought you food appears. 'Here--eat,' she says, poking another bowl of rice through the bars of the dungeon door.

'The old priest,' you say, pointing to his body, 'is dead.'

The girl glances towards the old man. 'I will tell Mother Magri. Perhaps she will want to steal his soul while it still lingers here,' she says, matter-of-factly. 'He was a silly priest. He deserved to die. But, perhaps my mistress can put him to some useful task.'

You and Shan stare at her, stunned at the coolness of her tone and the casual way in which she dismisses the torment of a man's soul. She stares back, unconcerned; her face is a picture of childish innocence, and she seems unaware that she has said anything shocking.

***I'm given the option of talking to the girl or not. You best believe I'm gonna talk. Dissing a guy who worshipped my masters? Oh, hell to the nawh, shawty!***

You learn that the girl's name is Tanith. She is a novice in the ways of witchcraft and is in the service of Mother Magri, her protector and guardian. She is very beautiful and has long, dark, unkempt hair and wild green eyes. 'They say that you are a wizard and that you challenged the truthsay of the Kazim Stone,' she says, curiously.

'Of course,' you reply, a little boastfully, wishing to impress this ragged but winsome creature.

'That is very bad,' she says, shaking her head. 'Mother Magri will have you tortured. The ways of the Shadaki are very cruel. Tonight, you will be taken to the Darkling Room and you will experience great pain and terror.'

'Then I must escape this place,' you say, fearfully. 'Can you help me?'

Tanith gazes at you, a frightened expression on her face. 'No . . . No . . . The danger . . . I cannot . . . I dare not!' She takes a dried flower from the pocket of her dress, and sprinkles its powdered petals into your food. 'This will help fortify you before your ordeal,' she explains, her voice trembling. 'I can do no more.'

She jumps to her feet. 'I'm sorry . . .' She falters, a longing note in her voice, and then she disappears.

***One of those bad news, good news, things. Hot young girl helps me out, but a Darkling room is waiting to own my Shianti-trained butt.***

You know that there is no time to lose. Though you do not have your Wizard's Staff, you must make your escape. Hastily, you finish your bowl of rice containing the powdered petals (restore 1 WILLPOWER point and 3 ENDURANCE points) and try to conceive a plan that will secure your freedom.

***12 WP, 22 EP. Every little bit helps at this point. I'm given the choice of sleeping or not. While in real life, I'd probably not be able to sleep because of how active my mind is, in this case, you bet I'm taking all the sleep I can get. Besides, I'm probably exhausted after the ordeal.***

When you waken, night is falling. Your rest has greatly refreshed you: restore 1 ENDURANCE point and 1 WILLPOWER point.

It is clear that you will have to use one of your Magical Powers if you are to escape the tortures of the Darkling Room. Carefully, you weigh in your mind which of your Powers will best effect your escape.

***13 WP and now maxed out at 23 EP. Sleep. It does a body and a mind good.***

Calmly you sift through these Powers and the extent of your mastery of them to determine the most effective choice. You make your decision.

**Here are my options: Sorcery, Enchantment, Elementalism, Alchemy, Psychomancy, Prophecy and Evocation. I could go into a big long discussion of the pluses and minuses of each, but this passage right here and those following arae why I even took Evocation in the first place. So let's go contact dead people, people!***

Since the corpse of the Shianti priest is still in the dungeon with you, you decide to summon his departed spirit and ask for its aid. With a wedge of rock, you scratch out a ragged pentacle in the dirt of the dungeon floor. Taking a deep breath, you slowly and carefully fall into a trance state. You focus on the body of the dead priest, sending out an echoing call to the spiritual plane. Your mind fills with the groaning cries of disembodied spirits and visions of phantoms with strange, pale faces.

Shan the merchant backs away in terror as the translucent Shade of the old priest materializes above its discarded, earthly body, shimmering with a silvery light that illuminates the darkness of the cell. 'I have come, Grey Star,' the Shade says in a hollow voice. 'My aid I give thee, but you must pay the price of the dead if I am to free you. Wilt thou pay this price?'

Your heart is full of fear as you realize that you must agree to the dead man's price without knowing what it will be.

***I can either accept or refuse to pay the price. You bet your ass I'm accepting. Besides, he's a priest... it can't be -that- bad, can it?***

Warily, you agree to accept the dead priest's offer.

'So be it,' drones the Shade. 'For my part, I will give you the help you seek, since I now perceive that you are a servant of the great Shianti race, as once was I. You must turn right beyond the door of this cell and, when you reach the end of the corridor, take the left stairway. Thereafter always turn left and always ascend, until you reach the surface. In this way you will come to the inner courtyard where the gate to freedom stands. Take no other route, for death awaits you any other way.'

'What then is the price I must pay?' you ask.

'You must free the dead of this place. Step outside the pentacle and speak the forbidden tome that will release the wronged souls that have died here. The dead desire their revenge on those who cruelly murdered them. Deny them not, for your soul will be forfeit if you do.'

You are filled with dread. It is forbidden by Shianti law to free the dead upon the Earth, for once freed by the 'forbidden tome', they can never be controlled. They will roam the Earth eternally, able to act in any way they choose, whether for good or ill.

***Let's see... break Shianti law or forfeit my soul, probably dying here in this cell and dooming all of humanity. I'm sure they'll forgive me. Speak the tome, I will.***

With a shudder, you step outside the pentacle and speak the sibilant words of the 'forbidden tome' known as the Song of the Dead. The ghost of the priest sighs and says, 'It is done. Take the Amulet from the body of my former life. It will serve as a charm against the evil dead.' You take the Amulet, which hangs by a silver chain around the dead priest's neck, and place it around your own. (Mark this Amulet as a Special Item on your Action Chart.)

All is silent. Slowly, the cell grows colder. The sound of distant moaning fills your ears, followed by a mournful wailing that chills the soul, which gradually rises in pitch and volume. The dead have come to claim their vengeance. The use of the Power of Evocation has cost you 2 WILLPOWER points. A howling wind sweeps through the cell and the door bursts open. You turn and grab Shan's arm. He has stood, pale and rigid with fear, throughout your exchange with the dead.

I love this picture.. the dead avenging themselves on the bastards who wronged them.

'Quickly,' you hiss. 'Come with me.' You run through the door and into the corridor outside. Shadow forms are flowing out of the walls and floor, and everywhere spirit shapes fly in all directions. You turn to your right and see the horribly mutilated corpse of the jailer. Still clenched in his mortifying fist is a small Dagger. You may take this item if you wish. (Remember to mark it on your Action Chart under the Weapons section.)

***11 WP. I now have the choice of taking the jailer's keys and freeing everyone or taking the left or right stairway. I already have a dagger, so I'm not taking the filthy jailer's. I already know from what the priest's spirit told me that I need to go left. So the question is... do I free everybody or not? You bet I do! More problems to deal with = more resources diverted and a two-front war the Shadakine have to fight to maintain order. Oh yes, note to self: Also have Shianti Priest Amulet.***

You snatch up the dead Jailer's Keys and run along the corridor, unlocking each door as fast as you can. One by one, the doors are thrown open, and prisoners pour into the corridor, rushing in all directions. If you decide to keep the Keys, mark them as a Special Item on your Action Chart.

***Yeah, I'm keeping the Jailer's keys. Never know when they might turn out useful. Now to the left staircase back the way I came.***

With Shan the merchant hot on your heels, you dash up the stairs which lead to a small landing. There are two exits. The left exit is blocked by a heavy wooden door. To the right is an open archway leading into a narrow corridor. In the distance, you can hear the sound of screams and falling masonry. The ground below your feet trembles.

'Which way?' asks Shan.

***Left exit, right exit or use Prophecy. The priest told me to keep going left and up, so I won't need to waste Prophecy and I just go left... Only the door's locked. Good thing I brought the Jailer's Keys! Otherwise I would've had to use either Sorcery or Alchemy or go right. Ka-chink!***

With sweating hands, you fumble with the large bunch of Keys, trying to find one that matches the shape of the lock.

***...Shit. Now would be a good time to have Psychomancy, but because I don't, it's a dice roll. It comes up 8 (Note: Because it's 0-9 on the random # table, I subtract 1 from the d10 roll to get its equivalent.)***

The lock clicks open. 'Thank the gods,' you breathe.

'Thank the jailer,' quips Shan, wiping the sweat from his brow. You throw open the door and discover another landing. There are two stairways, one leading to the left and the other to the right.

***Whew. Another left, right, Prophecy option. Left we go. Did I mention yet how much I love Evocation in this book?***

Panting for breath, your heart pounding against your ribs, you step on to the landing.

***I can either lock the door behind me with the Jailer's Keys or keep running to save time. Um, locking the door saves more time, so I'm locking that ish up.***

As you close the door you hear the sound of running feet. Four Shadakine warriors are approaching. You turn the key in the lock. 'Hurry, Grey Star,' Shan calls. 'There is no time to lose.'

The Shadakine are beating at the door, shouting furiously for you to open it. Next, you hear the sound of heavy thumping as they try to force the door open.

***I can use Sorcery to further bar the door if I want or keep running. More protection is better, so I'll spend the WP.***

'For pity's sake, what on Earth are you doing now?' questions Shan in a complaining tone.

'Hush,' you retort, closing your eyes to concentrate on preparing a holding spell to bar the door. At the cost of 1 WILLPOWER point, you create a magical barrier to bar the door. It will take the Shadakine guards some time before they will be able to break it open.

***10 WP. More time bought. Left stairway or right stairway. No Prophecy option this time. I, of course, go left.***

With Shan at your side, you run to the top of the stairs. Above your head is a trap door. You throw it open and step into a circular room. There are two exits. Through the crack around the door opposite, you can see a faint, yellow glow.

***I can either take yellow glow or I can take the other exit. Doesn't say left or right, so I'm taking yellow glow on the off-chance that it's sunlight.***

You recognize the small antechamber. It was here that Mother Magri subjected you to the test of truth, using the Kazim Stone. The terrible, glowing sphere stands in the centre of the empty room on a small table; it is giving off a faint light.

***I've given the option of taking the stone or leaving. Hell yeah, I'm stealing the Stone! Take that, bitch!***

You grab the Kazim Stone and throw open the door of the antechamber. Standing in the circular room you see Tanith the young girl in the service of Mother Magri. 'Grey Star,' she says; 'at last I've found you.'

'Beware,' Warns Shan. 'She is a Shadakine slave; she cannot be trusted.'

***I can either attack her or question her. Of course I'm going to question the hot chick. Besides, she made me tasty food.***

'Tanith,' you say, 'you serve Mother Magri. What do you intend to do?'

'I know where your Staff is hidden,' she replies. 'I can take you to it and help you to escape if you will take me with you. Decide quickly. There is great danger here and we have little time.' You hear the running feet of the Shadakine guards coming from the stairs below and the voice of Mother Magri, barking orders and cursing the Shadakine in an angry tone.

**A hot girl actually wants me to take her with me? That's a yes, even though Shan wants me to ignore her.***

'Very well,' you say, 'lead on.'

Tanith gives a sigh of relief and points towards the antechamber of Mother Magri. 'This way,' she says, running into the room. With Shan muttering about death and destruction, betrayal and butchery, you follow her.

'Casas Indu,' she calls, and a hidden door slides open, revealing a dark space behind. 'It's a secret passage,' she explains. 'Here is your Staff and Backpack.' She takes a torch from the wall, and its light reveals a small compartment roughly hewn from stone and a sloping passage heading downwards. You take the Backpack and Staff from their hiding place and turn to Tanith. 'What now?' you ask.

'Down the passage--hurry!' she replies. You and Shan run down the passage. Tanith follows swiftly. 'Casas Sendra,' she intones, and the secret door slides shut.

If you have the Kazim Stone and there is room in your Backpack, you may place it there for safekeeping. Remember to mark this Backpack Item on your Action Chart.

***Yep, there's room, so the Kazim Stone goes in my backpack. Heehee!!!***

The dark passage seems interminably long, and the three of you are panting for breath before you reach its end. The winding tunnel opens into a large, natural cavern. You rush through the cave mouth and down the steep slope of a hill, stopping only when you reach the bottom. You gasp for breath, your chest heaving and your limbs aching.

***Do I possess Shianti Priest Amulet? Why, yes I do!***

As you and your companions stop to catch your breath, you turn and look behind. The citadel looms high above you, its bleak stone walls crumbling to the ground. It is enveloped by a strange mist, and the shadowy forms of the dead dance around it. Stone by stone they raze the prison to the ground. The shrieks and howls of the Shadakine echo beneath the starlit sky as they meet a grisly death at the hands of their past victims.

'Was it you who called the dead?' asks Tanith, her eyes wide. You nod, a chill running down the length of your spine.

'A horrible death,' she remarks coolly. 'Shasarak would have approved.' She seems unaware of the ironic nature of her statement as you hang your head in shame.

You are standing in a small dell. Ahead lies the Suhni River and beyond the river, a forest. 'Come,' says Tanith, 'there is a bridge nearby. We must cross the bridge to gain the safety of the forest before we can rest.'

'The witch speaks the truth,' comments Shan, returning the girl's icy glare contemptuously. Though you have barely rested, you continue onwards, coming at last to a wide road that crosses the Suhni River by means of a large, ornate bridge.

'It will not be long before the Shadakine come searching for us,' says Tanith. 'Have you a spell that would destroy this bridge and hinder their pursuit?'

***I can destroy the bridge with Elementalism or Sorcery, or simply not spend the WP. Hello, my second favorite power! Elementals, do your stuff!***

You are very tired. Wearily, you close your eyes and call on the Elementals for their aid. Your chant ends, and at first, it seems that you have failed. Then you hear the sound of rushing water: a gigantic wave rises up further along the river. The foaming, white crest of the wave towers above the bridge in the shape of an outstretched hand. The watery fingers clench to form an immense fist that smashes on to the bridge, crushing it as though it were made of matchsticks, and drenching the three of you, as it washes the bridge downstream.

'Such power!' Tanith exclaims, her eyes shining with childish delight and admiration.

The spell has cost you 1 WILLPOWER point.

***9 WP. Getting very, very low again. But this is a good stopping point. To be continued...**

Old 11-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #15
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wow, hello much story length