Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #1
digamma
Torchbearer

iPhone App Reload after New Apple ID

Due to a series of errors too numerous and convoluted to describe, I had to move to a new Apple ID recently. That seemed to go fairly smoothly, until recently.

What I realized is that the apps I have were originally downloaded and licensed to my old Apple ID. Unfortunately, there is no way to transfer the license per Apple. The issue then is that I can't update any apps because there is a mismatch between the ID on my phone and the ID the apps are tied to.

Anyone have any good ideas for deleting and reloading the apps? Here is what I've come up with...

1. Rip off the band-aid and reset and restore the phone. This would be the fastest approach for deleting and I could add apps back as I need them. My main question here is how much data I lose by doing that within apps. I'm sure that may vary from app to app.

2. The passive approach. Just wait until an app updates to a spot where it is unusable (I had this with one the other day). The positive here is that I don't really have to do anything now, but the downside is that I lose non-essential updates and that this could linger on for a long time.

3. Do a few at a time, deleting and reloading as I go.

4. Hire some daily personal assistant or something (like a live version of fiverr or something). I'd actually pay something real not to have to deal with this. (I'm up to 62 apps that need to be updated.)

5. Something I haven't considered.

Any thoughts?

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Article: Change iTunes/iCloud/App Store old E-mail Account | ITNinja

I dunno if that would work?

another quick fix might be to sign into another apple device, download the apps to your new ID and that would allow it to be updated on your current device while preserving the app data I believe.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #3
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

[quote=digamma;3112002]

Anyone have any good ideas for deleting and reloading the apps? Here is what I've come up with...

4. Hire some daily personal assistant or something (like a live version of fiverr or something). I'd actually pay something real not to have to deal with this. (I'm up to 62 apps that need to be updated.)

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE
The term is virtual assistant. I have 3. They frequently work for <$3/hr and do good work. Odesk is a place to find them bit there are others as well
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:08 AM   #4
digamma
Torchbearer

Intrigued by the virtual assistant idea, but I think I need them to have access to my phone, right?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
General Mike
Pro Starter

I guess I have a bigger question about why the old Apple ID is completely unusable.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:43 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

i kinda assumed it was tied to a ex-work related email or (gasp) a former internet service provider and he can't access it. -Or- his hotmail got deleted ;0
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:09 PM   #7
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
i kinda assumed it was tied to a ex-work related email or (gasp) a former internet service provider and he can't access it. -Or- his hotmail got deleted ;0

Okay, that makes sense. The way he described it in the original post, made it seem like something different though.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote