Jeremy Giambi
Bobby Hill
Josh Phelps
Travis Hafner

bigdawg2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 07:36 PM   #2
Blackadar
Retired

Probably needs better starting pitching. Schilling and Mussina are quite old and Hampton is a big question mark.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 07:49 PM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Re: Opinions on Fantasy Baseball

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdawg2003
What do yall think of my squad. Any advice is appreciated

Curt Schilling
Mike Mussina
Mark Buerhle
Josh Beckett
Mike Hampton
Billy Wagner
Keith Foulke
Scott Williamson
Octavio Dotel
Jose Contreras
Francisco Rodriguez
Mike Remlinger

Mike Lieberthal
Jeff Bagwell
Fernando Vina
Scott Rolen
Orlando Cabrera
Magglio Ordonez
Shawn Green
Johnny Damon
Juan Pierre
Jeremy Giambi
Bobby Hill
Josh Phelps
Travis Hafner

I wouldn't worry about Schilling or Moose. They are older, but they haven't given any signs that they are going to breakdown soon. Beurhle is always a nice, solid pitcher as well. Still, I would keep an eye out for more depth here. Beckett hasn't shown he can overcome those blister problems yet (although he has great talent), and Hampton even had a 6+ ERA AWAY from Coors Field last year.

I really like your relief corps, especially if holds are used. Foulke and Wagner should be two of the best and most productive int he league, and Williamson is going to be a closer this year. For holds and just general quality relief, K-Rod and Dotel are great pickups, Contreras is starting in the pen apparently, and Remlinger was one of the better setup men int he league last year. If you don't count holds, though, I would consider moving one or two of the non-closers for more actual starters.

At catcher, Lieberthall and Phelps are two great talents, but you have a huge injury risk and a guy who has only played a half of a season. You could be really good here, but keep an eye on them anyway.

Bagwell should b back from his shoulder injury, so I would expect he will be a leading hitter for you. Rolen should be something else, too.

You might be able to improve upon Vina and Cabrera, but considering they wer eprobably lower end pick ups for you, that's not too bad. The good guys go quick in the middle infield.

I really like Ordonez, and Green, while inconsistent, should produce. That said, I don't like your depth here too much. I'm still not sure Giambi can do what he did last year consistently, and I have never been a big Damon fan (although he is productive). Pierre isn't in Coors Field anymore, so we'll see how that pans out.

IMO, you have a handful of good players in your rotation and in your lineup and a fantastic relief corps. If I were you, I would lose some of the relievers for help or depth in other areas, unless relief is a huge part of your scoring system.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 07:59 PM   #4
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

In pitching, the categories are Wins, Saves, Strikeouts, ERA, and WHIP. No points for holds

Vina was one of my last draft picks cause I kept getting burned on other guys I wanted, but didn't want to overdraft.

I'm confident in my rotation. Schilling is a stud, Mussina will lower that ERA, Buerhle wins games with a low ERA, and Beckett and Hampton, while risky, have huge potential.

I'm ecstatic about my relief corps, and will definately look to make some deals involving K-Rod, Contreras, and Remlinger.

On offense, Vina and Cabrera are basically there to steal bases and contribute in average and runs, hopefully enough to make up for the lack of power. Bagwell is gonna be 100-30-100-.300 this season, and Mags and Green is a helluva duo in OF. In Florida, with Pierre and Castillo in the same lineup, I expect both to have the green light all day. Giambi and Phelps are sleepers yes. Watch out for Hafner though.

All in all, i'm happy with my team, but will definately look to trade some relievers for some help in the infield and the rotation.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:46 PM   #5
oykib
College Starter

Actually, I'm a little worried about Schilling. He's been overworked the two years. And if you look at his stats he didn't do that well down the stretch. I think he'll still be good. But he won't be lights out this year ( maybe 16-11, 3.30 ERA, 240 K's ).

As for Mussina, he was, actually, very good last year. He was one of the best pitchers in the AL during thelast two or so months of the season. In the beginning of the season he was much better than his numbers would have you believe. He was particularly unlucky, though.

One thing that you have to watch out for with Schilling and Mussina is that their team defenses are not very good. They have to strike out a lot of guys, and a lot of guys in key situations, to be successful.

I'd trade Bobby Hill if he tears it up in Spring Training. He's not very likely to get much playing time with Dusty after the Cubs picked up Grudzeilanik(sp?). And Jua Pierre just generally sucks. I'd only keep him if you absolutely need the stolen bases.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 11:56 PM   #6
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Just at a glance I think you are very strikeout heavy and very light on saves.

Damon and Pierre will put you in the steals leaders. Your homeruns may lack though. I would offer someone like Damon for a more power productive hitter. You have plenty of hitters for average and can afford the loss in steals IMO.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 12:14 AM   #7
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

bosshogg

I actually think saves will be a strong point for me. Wagner and Foulke should be good for atleast 30 a piece, and Williamson could do the same. Also, my surplus of relievers will probably chip in a few. Yeah, I could use another masher, but I also think Phelps will go 30-100 this year, and if he does that, then I'll be atleast ok. I'm mainly looking for an upgrade at 2B (just offered a deal for Junior Spivey, Fernando Vina and Remlinger. Not a great deal, but it's a first proposal.)
Old 03-02-2003, 12:30 AM   #8
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I would imagine Wagner & Foulke for 30+. Williamson's career high is 19 and he hasnt had more than 8 in 3 years. He will help your ERA but he is a poor mans Octavio Dotel IMO(who you also have and is valuable).

I cant see any of the others picking up more than a handful of saves. I personally would watch what happens with the closers during spring training. If Hoffman turns out to be the only major injury at the position, I would consider picking up his replacement in place of Remlinger.

Pierre only provides in 1 category also. Jeremy Giambi, if given enough AB's, will be more valuable. If I know im weak in an area, bottom third or so, I will blow that area up. I try to improve another area by a couple points while only suffering a point loss.

My fantasy draft(s) are wayyyyyyyy too far away.........
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 04:59 AM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Boss, you may not be aware but Williamson hasn't been closing for Reds the past three years. This year he will be. Last year's closer (his name escapes me at the moment, but he's very good) is moving to the rotation. I don't know that Williamson will have 30 saves, because quite frankly I'm not sure the Reds will provide him with enough opportunities. But they are solid enough to get him 20+ if he does okay. And Foulke and Wagner may each get 40+ with their teams.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:49 AM   #10
oykib
College Starter

Graves.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 05:58 AM   #11
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, oykib. Danny Graves.

Can you believe every time I was seraching my mind for his name, I was coming up with Randy Freakin' Myers? LMAO! I knew that wasn't right!

Chief Rum