Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2022, 01:44 PM   #1751
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Sad. My favorite coach in college football, and hard for the people close to him when it's sudden like this.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 01:47 PM   #1752
bhlloy
Coordinator

For those who subscribe to the Athletic, they did a hilarious feature a couple years ago with comments from a bunch of his QBs from WSU and it's absolutely freaking gold. Saw it again on the homepage today, but if it's no longer there strongly recommend searching for it. RIP.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 03:18 PM   #1753
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

College football is poorer without him. And so is everything else.

Rest in peace Mike Leach, and thank you for all you did.
Old 12-13-2022, 03:20 PM   #1754
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
For those who subscribe to the Athletic, they did a hilarious feature a couple years ago with comments from a bunch of his QBs from WSU and it's absolutely freaking gold. Saw it again on the homepage today, but if it's no longer there strongly recommend searching for it. RIP.

‘What the #&$@ is going on right now?’: Inside Mike Leach’s QB meetings - The Athletic
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 03:37 PM   #1755
RainMaker
General Manager

RIP. A fun character to have in college football and I wish he had been given a shot at a bigger school at some point. His offense revolutionized college football.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 08:12 PM   #1756
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:42 AM   #1757
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'd had a secret hope that one day he'd take Lee Corso's place on College GameDay
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:38 AM   #1758
BYU 14
Coordinator

No comment, just read this thread.

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 04:55 PM   #1759
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Erick All is following McNamara to Iowa. How long until we call them 'Michigan B'?
Old 12-14-2022, 05:25 PM   #1760
RainMaker
General Manager

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 05:27 PM   #1761
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Mississippi State announced they have hired their DC, Zach Arnett to be the new head coach. People on Twitter are upset this was so soon after Leach passed. I don't think it disrespectful in any way because he was already on staff. If they announced an outside hire the next day, or even started interviewing coaches it would like WTF? But if you knew he was the guy, go ahead and make it official since you have a game coming up.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:36 PM   #1762
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
If true, I’m going to hate playing against Bobby Petrino’s offense with all that talent at A&M

Hope he keeps his pants on and out of trouble. Wish him the best. Good for Odom as he'll need a high powered offense to bail out his crappy defensive schemes.

Quote:
Bobby Petrino, widely regarded as one of the brightest offensive minds/playcallers in the game, is returning to the FBS ranks as offensive coordinator at UNLV under new coach Barry Odom, the school announced Thursday.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:40 PM   #1763
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, North Dakota State, fighting through big injuries, getting trounced in the first quarter, going down 16 early, managed to fight back against a very tough Incarnate Word team that seemed to have all the answers. They pulled out a 35-32 win in the Fargodome to seal their 10th trip to Frisco, Texas in the last 12 years to the FCS Championship game. The fanbase is tired of so much winning. We'll play either Montana State or South Dakota State. SDSU already has a big win against us this year. So we're not an unbeatable juggernaut this year, but we were the #3 overall seed in the tournament. Crazy to think they're heading back yet again. Just crazy. It's not like we haven't had gobs of players transfer out either. It's been a revolving door as these guys have gotten national attention.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 01:12 AM   #1764
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Well, North Dakota State, fighting through big injuries, getting trounced in the first quarter, going down 16 early, managed to fight back against a very tough Incarnate Word team that seemed to have all the answers. They pulled out a 35-32 win in the Fargodome to seal their 10th trip to Frisco, Texas in the last 12 years to the FCS Championship game. The fanbase is tired of so much winning. We'll play either Montana State or South Dakota State. SDSU already has a big win against us this year. So we're not an unbeatable juggernaut this year, but we were the #3 overall seed in the tournament. Crazy to think they're heading back yet again. Just crazy. It's not like we haven't had gobs of players transfer out either. It's been a revolving door as these guys have gotten national attention.

Couldn't catch the game tonight, but Incarnate/Sac State was insane
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 06:16 PM   #1765
miami_fan
Coordinator

Oregon TE Cam McCormick granted ninth year of eligibility, remains undecided about returning in 2023
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 07:02 PM   #1766
Edward64
Head Coach

UCF Travis Williams is the Hog’s new DC.

Don’t know much about him but the Hog forum is underwhelmed. #40 defense this year so that’s a theoretical upgrade from Odom
Old 12-17-2022, 09:08 PM   #1767
Edward64
Head Coach

Arkansas kid coming home!

Our QB2 left for the portal. He had some opportunities to play this season with QB Jefferson hurt but he really didn't perform well. Hope it works out because we really need a competent backup.

What Criswell Brings to Hogs Needed More Than Ever with Singleton Coming
Quote:
Jacolby Criswell is coming home.

Less than a week after entering the transfer portal, the former North Carolina quarterback and Morrilton native announced his commitment to Arkansas football while on an official visit Saturday evening.

A former four-star recruit, Criswell immediately bolsters a quarterback room that severely lacks depth behind standout starter KJ Jefferson. He has three years of eligibility remaining.
Old 12-18-2022, 09:53 PM   #1768
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Haynes King reportedly xferring to .. Georgia Tech.

He's a prototypical GT quarterback in recent years: hovers around 50% completion rate, as likely to throw a pick as a TD.

Given how he looked surrounded by 5* talent, he might be spectacularly bad (until he gets hurt) surrounded by what amounts to a so-so high school roster.
Old 12-18-2022, 10:32 PM   #1769
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

And Jeff Sims transferring to Nebraska.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 01:59 AM   #1770
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I mean, it beats getting a job. But at a certain point, you're practically a coach without the salary.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:57 AM   #1771
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Haynes King reportedly xferring to .. Georgia Tech.

He's a prototypical GT quarterback in recent years: hovers around 50% completion rate, as likely to throw a pick as a TD.

Given how he looked surrounded by 5* talent, he might be spectacularly bad (until he gets hurt) surrounded by what amounts to a so-so high school roster.

I think its a good fit for him. Getting away from Jimbo will help his confidence. You could literally see him tightening up when he dropped back to pass as the game went on. He's got a live arm although he does tend to force the issue too many times. If he can make smarter decisions, he'll carve up ACC defenses.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 02:32 PM   #1772
GrantDawg

It is crazy how quiet it is for a Early Signing Day. Doesn't seem as big as it normally is. Maybe it is the holidays drowning it out. It sounds like Oregon is making some big splashes. With the NIL as it is, the Ducks might be on the cusps of a big breakout.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:20 PM   #1773
miami_fan
Coordinator

I now understand why teachers were being offered six complimentary tickets to Gasparilla Bowl eight hours before the game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 08:20 PM   #1774
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I now understand why teachers were being offered six complimentary tickets to Gasparilla Bowl eight hours before the game.

I asked my wife who gave less of a shit: the announcers the fans or the coaches. Feels like everyone is sleepwalking through this game.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 08:47 PM   #1775
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
It is crazy how quiet it is for a Early Signing Day. Doesn't seem as big as it normally is. Maybe it is the holidays drowning it out. It sounds like Oregon is making some big splashes. With the NIL as it is, the Ducks might be on the cusps of a big breakout.
Notre Dame finished a bit disappointingly for what is still a really good class for us, but at least we saw the little late bonus of seeing Bowen flip on Oregon the next day.

For all the handwringing about NIL it is funny how normal the rankings are. Good teams have bigger budgets and more supporters, and the dollar amounts may have changed but the distribution of it has not.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-23-2022 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:07 AM   #1776
Edward64
Head Coach

I guess it's been decided who's to blame for the tunnel incident?

Quote:
Michigan State’s Khary Crump agreed to plead guilty to misdemeanor counts of assault/battery and disorderly conduct person-jostling as part of a plea deal following his role in the Michigan Stadium tunnel incident in October
Quote:
Six other Michigan State players are facing charges due to the incident, in which Green and Ja’Den McBurrows were beaten by MSU players as they walked to the locker room after a 29-7 Michigan victory over the Spartans.
Quote:
All seven players, plus one more who was not charged, were suspended by Michigan State for the last four games of the 2022 season. Crump is the only one who faced further punishment from the Big Ten.
Old 12-26-2022, 12:14 PM   #1777
Ksyrup

FSU HS recruiting has been decent under Norvell - 15-20 rankings or so - but our transfer portal recruiting has been amazing.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-26-2022, 12:58 PM   #1778
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I guess it's been decided who's to blame for the tunnel incident?

Crump was the one who used his helmet as a weapon, so the charges were more serious. The others were suspended for several games, and that was the end of it.

I thought this was an interesting piece. It is from the perspective of an Ann Arbor-based journalist and life-long Michigan fan, so keep that in mind. But he's someone who is very much respected in the community. I used to work with him, and he was, then, the quiet, do-your-job-well, long-hours type.

Justice Delayed — For All Involved | John U. Bacon

I think the blame starts with the Michigan State coach. This has always been a weird rivalry. For Michigan State, the Michigan game is the most important game, and Michigan is 72-38-5. For Michigan, it's a secondary rivalry - Ohio State ends the season and it's a much more competitive rivalry (Michigan is 60-52-6, though that has gotten a lot closer in the last 20 years).

No way to do it immediately, but I think the best thing for everyone would be to have Michigan and Michigan State in different pods when the conference expands to 16 teams - a few years off would do a lot of good.

It shouldn't have to be that way. Michigan and Michigan State are a little over an hour apart. The fans - so many families have grads from both universities. It's a friendly rivalry in the stands. People tailgate together. In my own case, my wife received her master's and doctorate from MSU - that doesn't create any tension, and she enjoys sports and roots for MSU.

The Ohio State rivalry is a little tougher for the fans, but easier on the players - it's the big rivalry game for both, and they respect each other. Having moved to Ohio, it's a little weird. My next-door neighbor, who almost certainly doesn't know where I grew up, has an American flag on a pole in his front yard. Below it this week are two large banners - Ohio State is on the bottom, TCU above it. It's weird being in a place where fans want their rival to lose even more than they want their team to win. I thought about getting a big Michigan flag for the holder above our front door, but I would worry about vandals - no sense picking a fight in what's very much OSU country.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 05:54 PM   #1779
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I think the blame starts with the Michigan State coach. This has always been a weird rivalry. For Michigan State, the Michigan game is the most important game, and Michigan is 72-38-5. For Michigan, it's a secondary rivalry - Ohio State ends the season and it's a much more competitive rivalry (Michigan is 60-52-6, though that has gotten a lot closer in the last 20 years).

No way to do it immediately, but I think the best thing for everyone would be to have Michigan and Michigan State in different pods when the conference expands to 16 teams - a few years off would do a lot of good.
Disagree strongly, Michigan & Michigan State should play every year, and I get what you're saying (it makes me laugh when BC fans say ND is their biggest rival) but you don't get to claim you're above playing "Little Brother" when they're 10-5 vs you in the last 15 games.

Not sure if the Big Ten will go to the 4 4 team pods and if they'll keep a championship game, but I assume Michigan, Ohio State & USC all headline their own pods if so... does Penn State get the 4th? Have to have one guaranteed non-pod yearly game in that case too.
Old 12-27-2022, 05:58 PM   #1780
Ksyrup

So, in 3 years, Ed Reed takes over Miami?

Old 12-27-2022, 06:05 PM   #1781
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
ND has apparently already contacted Devin Leary & the other good transfer QB in the portal, but the rumor mill is also making it seem like Drake Maye is a real possibility...

This really will be an insane year between all the misevaluations due to Covid cancelling HS football/camps and all the NIL $$$ flowing around.
And now we have the Sam Hartman smoke. I'll take him for a year in a heartbeat, then let Buchner/Minchew/Carr show something they show something, if they go elsewhere they go elsewhere. Just seems to be the new way of doing it.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:49 PM   #1782
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs are favored over the Jayhawks tomorrow. Not making excuses (well, yes I am) but the Hogs got hit pretty hard by the portal & draft/combine prep. We'll be missing some key players.

We'll have our QB1 and RB1. But will be without our WR1 and some standout defensive starters like Bumper Pool (and others).
Old 12-27-2022, 09:55 PM   #1783
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina loses its bowl game to East Carolina 53-29. The Grayson McCall era ends in a bizarre fashion. He ran in for a TD in the first half, running over tacklers as he did so. That caused him to flip over them in a somersault. He did not appear injured or hit his head, but that was it for him with an upper body injury,
Old 12-28-2022, 06:38 PM   #1784
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs doing well up 31-13.

We lost RB1 in 1Q but we’re doing well with our QB running. Defense has given up a couple big pass plays but doing okay so far.
Old 12-28-2022, 06:50 PM   #1785
Edward64
Head Coach

Up 38-13 midway thru 3Q. Kansas can’t stop our run.

Hope this keeps up, want to see some second team play in 4Q.

Edit: nvm Kansas is getting some momentum now

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-28-2022 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #1786
Edward64
Head Coach

38-30 with 1 min left. Kansas onside kick coming

Edit: and frakking Kansas recovers

Edit: now at Arkansas 16 yard line

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-28-2022 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:09 PM   #1787
Edward64
Head Coach

Kansas TD

2 pt conversion coming up

Edit: and a tied game

We suck

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-28-2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:10 PM   #1788
GrantDawg

Man, unreal.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:15 PM   #1789
Jas_lov
College Starter

I don't think the Arkansas coach knew that he could call timeouts to stop the clock.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 08:18 PM   #1790
Ksyrup

Unbelievable.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:46 PM   #1791
GrantDawg

When this game ends sometime next year, what will be the final score and how many players will be left on each team?

Old 12-28-2022, 08:47 PM   #1792
Ksyrup

Refs really don't want Arkansas to win, I see.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:51 PM   #1793
Edward64
Head Coach

Glad we won but we didn’t deserve to
Old 12-28-2022, 08:51 PM   #1794
Ksyrup

Kansas had a TE wide open and for some reason the dude apparently tried to hit a guy in the back of the end zone and threw it away.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:54 PM   #1795
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Just following online, but it's a good thing they resolved it then. I think the fifth overtime is coeds tossing footballs underhand into those giant Dr. Pepper cans.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 09:07 PM   #1796
Ksyrup

Nothing will top the Illinois-Penn State game last year that went 9 OTs and featured 4 FGs in the 1st 2 OTs and then nothing until the 8th OT when they both finally converted the conversions, and then Illinois got one in the 9th OT to win. Hard to play 9 OTs and only score a combined 18 points.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:10 PM   #1797
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Just following online, but it's a good thing they resolved it then. I think the fifth overtime is coeds tossing footballs underhand into those giant Dr. Pepper cans.

TikTok dance off.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 09:11 PM   #1798
Edward64
Head Coach

I still remember watching the Arkansas beat Eli Manning's Ole Miss in 7OT.

I do like this format better requiring 2pt conversion after the 2nd OT.

Quote:
The 2001 Arkansas vs. Ole Miss football game was a college football game played on November 3, 2001, between the University of Arkansas Razorbacks and the University of Mississippi Rebels; it broke a then–NCAA record for the longest football game ever played. The game included seven overtime periods, one of five games to ever do so.[1]
Old 12-28-2022, 10:32 PM   #1799
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still not sure I wouldn't prefer flipping a coin to determine the winner - or better yet, just leaving it as a tie and calling it a day - to current OT rules.
Old 12-28-2022, 11:55 PM   #1800
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Texas Bowl musta imported officials from the Georgia High School Association