Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2023, 04:31 PM   #2351
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is Herbert wildly unpopular? Carr also added to the pro bowl so that makes Herbert the 6th alternate(unless he passed).
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:56 PM   #2352
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is Herbert wildly unpopular? Carr also added to the pro bowl so that makes Herbert the 6th alternate(unless he passed).

EPSN article described him as unavailable (shoulder)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-31-2023 at 04:56 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:16 PM   #2353
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It appears that Tim Patrick is not looking for a front office job any time soon.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:50 PM   #2354
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tyler Huntley:Pro Bowl

How in the world did this happen?

Like was there not someone, anyone, more deserving than a guy who threw for 650 yards?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:43 PM   #2355
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess he was 7th in player votes.

Last edited by stevew : 01-31-2023 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:24 AM   #2356
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Brady retired (again)
Old 02-01-2023, 07:30 AM   #2357
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

21 seasons as a starter
10 Super Bowl appearances
7 Super Bowl wins

We will never see that again.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:44 AM   #2358
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Brady retired (again)

Like him or hate him, it was impressive career.

It's just a shame he marred it with this last season. Not that he was bad but man, going out like a blaze of glory after winning the Superbowl in Tampa would have been one hell of a CODA. I guess he needed to be humbled to really call it quits.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:53 AM   #2359
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I know he's got a massive deal at Fox waiting for him, but I think he'll be an awful commentator.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:12 AM   #2360
cuervo72
Head Coach

I don't think he'll be a good commentator either. He's always seemed too stiff to me.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:24 AM   #2361
Jstraub
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post

It's just a shame he marred it with this last season. Not that he was bad but man, going out like a blaze of glory after winning the Superbowl in Tampa would have been one hell of a CODA. I guess he needed to be humbled to really call it quits.

But this is how it almost always goes. Going out on top is very rare. Beyond Elway and Manning ( and this was all defense as his arm was a noodle) what all-time great QB retired after winning the super bowl? Most of the greats really flame out and while its somewhat sad to see, its overwhelming common. Brees, Rothlisberger, Favre, Young, Montana, Unitas, Bradshaw and many more all went out with a whimper. When a big part of what made them elite, their arm, goes, so goes the rest of it.
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:18 AM   #2362
Ksyrup

The same things that drive the all-time greats as competitors force them to hold on long after their expirations dates. I remember reading something from Steve Carlton about the end of his career. After the Phillies let him go, he putzed around with the Twins, White Sox and Giants (at least, maybe one or two more teams) sucking with each one and getting released. He said he did it because he had to get the drive to compete completely out of his system, even if it meant basically throwing BP as a shell of his HoF self.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-01-2023, 06:28 PM   #2363
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I don't think he marred anything. Go back to mid-season, and he was pretty much all-Pro level (Hurts, of course, has been at MVP level all season long, so that was out of reach) - just one interception in his first nine games.

I still suspect some sort of arm or shoulder injury in that he rarely attempted to throw downfield, especially the second half of the season. Combine that with major losses on the offensive line, and you can see why there was plenty of speculation that he could play next year.

He completed 66.8% of his passes, and broke the all-time NFL records for passing attempts with 733 (a little bit behind, per-game, Matthew Stafford's 16-game mark from 2012) and completions with 490 (same, Drew Brees, 2016). That's hardly tainting a legacy - more a guy keeping his team competitive and winning the closest division race in NFL history.

And all that, when just being on the field as a non-kicker at age 45 was unprecedented in NFL history.

You look at Patrick Mahomes and you wonder if he can do even better, because he's on track. But will Mahomes still be playing in 2040?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:27 PM   #2364
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I don't think he marred anything. ...
He completed 66.8% of his passes, and broke the all-time NFL records for passing attempts with 733 (a little bit behind, per-game, Matthew Stafford's 16-game mark from 2012) and completions with 490 (same, Drew Brees, 2016). That's hardly tainting a legacy - more a guy keeping his team competitive and winning the closest division race in NFL history.

I can't stand the guy but this is pretty much my take as well, due to the numbers you noted.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:50 PM   #2365
miked
College Starter

Don't forget they had no running game, a dummy for a coach, and old WRs. I think if you had Nick Foles or Carson Wentz on that team, they may have won 4 games.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:28 PM   #2366
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post

Don’t like the guy but you are right. Impressive might be understating it though, how about fantastic, extraordinary etc.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:20 PM   #2367
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Don’t like the guy but you are right. Impressive might be understating it though, how about fantastic, extraordinary etc.
How about "went to the crossroads and sold his soul to the devil?"
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:52 PM   #2368
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Hard to fault him for not walking away after their Super Bowl win. He had a great season and they had the full team coming back for a shot at another one. This wasn't a Peyton Manning being carried to a championship by his defense situation.

And then last year, he arguably should have won the MVP. Tough to hang up your hat after that. Who walks away after winning league MVP?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:50 PM   #2369
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
How about "went to the crossroads and sold his soul to the devil?"

If Charlie Daniels can do it, so can Brady.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:51 PM   #2370
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
And then last year, he arguably should have won the MVP. Tough to hang up your hat after that. Who walks away after winning league MVP?

Maybe someone that loved his family more than football?
Old 02-02-2023, 08:54 PM   #2371
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe someone that loved his family more than football?

Meh. She knew what he did for a living when she married him, if him being who he is wasn't suitable for her then he's better off without her.

And I don't even like Brady, but fuck that bitch.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:58 PM   #2372
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Meh. She knew what he did for a living when she married him, if him being who he is wasn't suitable for her then he's better off without her.

And I don't even like Brady, but fuck that bitch.

I get that in a way. But he did renege on a deal and it’s not just her but kids also.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:05 PM   #2373
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I get that in a way. But he did renege on a deal and it’s not just her but kids also.

Would have done nothing but create resentment had he done anything other than what he did. You're ready when you're ready, for anything. That's true about a star athlete, it's true about any and all of us.

I walked away from relationships for a far less lucrative or successful profession many years ago, never once regretted that in the slightest. We are who we are, surround yourself with people who can handle it and let the devil take the rest afaic.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:21 PM   #2374
Edward64
Head Coach

Family > Ego

How about the resentment from his kids?

(I’m assuming this wasn’t Giselles fault and she wasn’t sleeping with her trainer then)
Old 02-02-2023, 11:30 PM   #2375
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, I made that comment to my wife; coming back for another year didn't bring on a divorce alone. Something would have triggered it eventually.

(Also, both my wife and I agree that she ain't all that. Skinny-ass...anyway, a while ago there were some pics of her and a sister of hers on a beach in bikinis. These two walk up, it ain't the one on the left I'm going to be looking at. httpx://www.popsugar.com/celebrity/photo-gallery/36221488/image/36221493/Gisele-Bundchen-Black-Bikini-Her-Sister-2014 )
Old 02-02-2023, 11:47 PM   #2376
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

There have been some odd tangents in NFL discussions, and Brady is the subject of more than a small share.

Yeah, he had a job that requires a lot of travel and very little free time for half of the year. And then enormous flexibility, but still significant work for half of the year. It's not like he packed the kids up in a trunk and stored them in the attic for years at a time.

Is every employed person choosing work over family? It took decades for women to finally get past the whole housewife or you're a lousy mother accusations. Now NFL quarterbacks?

If your marriage hangs on an ultimatum of "give up the job you love or I'm done," your marriage is not exactly on stable ground. It would have ended regardless.

I hope he meets someone who actually gives a crap about his goals and his dreams. He deserves it.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:44 AM   #2377
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Family > Ego
How about the resentment from his kids?

So his kids wanted a do nothing lie about for a dad to go with the one they got from a mom?

Damn, having kids with her sure produced some fucked up kids.

As for ego, not sure much defines that more than wanting to deny someone their passion in order to suit your own desires.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:23 AM   #2378
Edward64
Head Coach

Huh? Maybe I missed something, what did Gisele do before he reneged?
Old 02-03-2023, 06:44 AM   #2379
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Huh? Maybe I missed something, what did Gisele do before he reneged?

She'd been retired from modeling for seven years, returning only after the divorce.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:57 AM   #2380
Ksyrup

I'm in the "that marriage was probably on shaky ground even before the first retirement" camp. In fact, he probably saw the end coming and figured there was no reason to stop playing when he still had that itch. Maybe he thought the retirement would change things, and he quickly realized it was too far gone to save. The ultimatum may have been real, but not real persuasive at whatever stage of decay the relationship was in. In fact, it might have been more of a confirmation that he made the right decision to keep playing.

Who knows. Normal folks trying to even fathom what family dynamics are in play in a marriage between ultra-millionaires is probably useless. But interesting in an Enquirer sense, I suppose.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-03-2023 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:18 AM   #2381
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
If your marriage hangs on an ultimatum of "give up the job you love or I'm done," your marriage is not exactly on stable ground. It would have ended regardless.

I agree with this. I know a good number of high-level execs who have had a travel/work schedule even worse than Brady's and for many more years who also came out of it with perfectly reasonable marriages. Their spouses went into it with their eyes open, and both made it work.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:08 AM   #2382
miami_fan
Coordinator

I guess I will be in the minority in this one I guess. I am not sure why there are all the assumptions that she forced him to give up his job. She has been saying for years that she was worried about the effects football was having on him healthwise. Despite that, he continued to play and from what I saw locally, she continued to support him.

Now maybe he retired last year because she forced him to retire with that ultimatum. If that is the case, I agree with those that say that was fucked up and he was better off without her. But if he decided he was retiring because he was "not going to make that competitive commitment anymore". If he was retiring because "now it is time to focus my time and energy on other things that require my attention." Now with the knowledge that she has gone back to modeling and we are speculating about Gisele's ultimatum I don't think this is inappropriate speculation. If he was retiring because he told the person "who has done EVERYTHING for our family to allow me to focus on my career..." and whose "selflessness allowed me to reach new heights professionally..." that she no longer had to do EVERYTHING for the family and now had the opportunity to focus on resuming her own career and not focus solely on his anymore.

If he was retiring for those reasons and then six weeks later said fuck all that I said and fuck how that might have affect everyone else, I want to go play football with the guys again. All the while taking 11 days away from the team in the middle of training camp and skipping out two days before a game to go to a buddy's wedding? To play that 2022-23 season with the Bucs and only that season? Forgive me for not seeing how Gisele is the one denying someone their passion in order to suit your own desire.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:13 AM   #2383
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I agree with this. I know a good number of high-level execs who have had a travel/work schedule even worse than Brady's and for many more years who also came out of it with perfectly reasonable marriages. Their spouses went into it with their eyes open, and both made it work.

To be fair, high level execs aren't routinely subjected to brutal beatings and repeated head traumas akin to an NFL quarterback.

...they're just doing lines of coke off hooker's asses.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-03-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:34 AM   #2384
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, I was mostly just addressing the idea that the committment to a job on its own would be the issue.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:00 PM   #2385
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I guess I will be in the minority in this one I guess. I am not sure why there are all the assumptions that she forced him to give up his job. She has been saying for years that she was worried about the effects football was having on him healthwise. Despite that, he continued to play and from what I saw locally, she continued to support him.

Now maybe he retired last year because she forced him to retire with that ultimatum. If that is the case, I agree with those that say that was fucked up and he was better off without her. But if he decided he was retiring because he was "not going to make that competitive commitment anymore". If he was retiring because "now it is time to focus my time and energy on other things that require my attention." Now with the knowledge that she has gone back to modeling and we are speculating about Gisele's ultimatum I don't think this is inappropriate speculation. If he was retiring because he told the person "who has done EVERYTHING for our family to allow me to focus on my career..." and whose "selflessness allowed me to reach new heights professionally..." that she no longer had to do EVERYTHING for the family and now had the opportunity to focus on resuming her own career and not focus solely on his anymore.

If he was retiring for those reasons and then six weeks later said fuck all that I said and fuck how that might have affect everyone else, I want to go play football with the guys again. All the while taking 11 days away from the team in the middle of training camp and skipping out two days before a game to go to a buddy's wedding? To play that 2022-23 season with the Bucs and only that season? Forgive me for not seeing how Gisele is the one denying someone their passion in order to suit your own desire.

Retiring initially could have also been a last-ditch effort to save a failed marriage, and then it quickly became apparent that that wasn't going to make a difference.

As fans of athletes and celebrities, it's easy to assume that all of the personal problems those people have are based on the public parts of their lives that we know about, but, that's probably not true. That's kind of the nature of gossip generally. Something happens, we tend to assume it was because of something we know about, rather than anything we don't.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:27 PM   #2386
Ksyrup

Apparently Payton is not going to bring back Ejiro Evero as DC, judging by the number of notifications I've received today about the Broncos requesting to speak with a bunch of current DCs at other teams.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:20 PM   #2387
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Apparently Payton is not going to bring back Ejiro Evero as DC, judging by the number of notifications I've received today about the Broncos requesting to speak with a bunch of current DCs at other teams.

Isn't Evero Nathaniel Hackett's best friend? Not saying he can't remain with the team, but it would be surprising to me if he did. The Broncos defense was good but it probably needed to reach 2015-16 levels for him to stay with Payton coming in.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 02-03-2023, 06:52 PM   #2388
Ksyrup

I have no idea, but if that was the case, he would have bolted for somewhere else by now. The defense has a ton of talent, but it was also really, really good this year. Especially considering the garbage situations the offense continually put them in.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:06 PM   #2389
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
:

Old 02-03-2023, 10:23 PM   #2390
Danny
Head Coach

Not going to speculate about Bradys situation or what was the right thing for his situation and family but I certainly am different from some of you posting here. Now having a 3 year and 3 month old, I'd give up my career in a second if that is what was best for them and my family and I'd have zero resentment or regret
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:44 PM   #2391
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Not going to speculate about Bradys situation or what was the right thing for his situation and family but I certainly am different from some of you posting here. Now having a 3 year and 3 month old, I'd give up my career in a second if that is what was best for them and my family and I'd have zero resentment or regret

Also easier if your are already a multi-millionaire and considered GOAT
Old 02-04-2023, 05:47 PM   #2392
Atocep
Coordinator

Can someone explain why teams continue to hire Brian Schottenheimer as an OC?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 05:48 PM   #2393
Ksyrup

I don't know what he is bringing to the table, but I thought McCarthy already said he was going to call plays. So, is this position just his eyes in the box?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-04-2023 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:24 AM   #2394
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This is amazing

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:35 AM   #2395
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
This is amazing

I can't remember that last time I actually cared about a SB commercial. IMHO it's been "meh" for years.

But this?

This is brilliant!
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:53 AM   #2396
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Since I've picked every game, I won't stop

Chiefs (+1.5) over Eagles: A close matchup that we've seen coming since around week 4. I think that with 2 weeks of rest for Mahomes ankle and 2 weeks to gameplan around it, I'm going Chiefs. I do think that the Eagles will put pressure on him to try and force him to be mobile (still have no idea why the Bengals didn't), but I think he'll pull it off.

FWIW, I am going to be rooting for the Eagles b/c I want to live in a world with Super Bowl Champion Gardner Minchew.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:39 PM   #2397
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I don't know how much they paid to make that ad, but all of that money was worth it.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:23 PM   #2398
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Can someone explain why teams continue to hire Brian Schottenheimer as an OC?

Here are his starting QB's while he was an OC

Jets- Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens, Brett Favre, Mark Sanchez
Rams- Sam Bradford, Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis, Shaun Hill
Seahawks- Russel Wilson

Russ was pretty good under Schottenheimer to be fair. Not saying he is worthy of getting another chance but I don' know if he has actually gotten a first one with that lineup sans Russ.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:34 PM   #2399
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

This is one of those times when I realize how out of touch I am. I am thoroughly unimpressed with that ad.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:44 PM   #2400
Ksyrup

It's hard to be impressed with something that goes straight over my head.