Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #51
RendeR
Coordinator

This is what I'm thinking of. We scour the region for supplies and blockade all the entrances that can be reached from the ground or by a short climb. then we leave the loading dock usable. (its got 3 of them) There is enough space at the loading docks for a number of heavy vehicles.

We mount snipers on 6 hour rotations on the crenellations on each corner and plan out the seperate floors for use as an enclave type community. We only go outside in force and well armed to scavenge for supplies, ammo, more vehicles and what not.

Maybe I'm overthinking this?

RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #52
JediKooter
Coordinator

Would definitely need a contengency plan in case the enclave is some how breached. Which way to escape, where to meet, what to leave behind, what to take, etc...

Once the electricity goes out, winters in the north will be brutal. Need to find some way to rig solar and wind power for the cold winter months.

Waste would be another issue to think about. Not a pretty thought, but, you can't live in your own waste. Would need to find a place that it can be disposed of that's not close enough to affect the enclave, but, not so far out as to add any un-needed danger to the people disposing it.

You can never overthink during times such as the zombie apocalypse.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #53
Travis
Pro Rookie

Well, the big question we seem to be ignoring is our objective. How long do we sit in the base camp before trying to figure out how wide spread the issue is? At what point do we try and clean up an area (vs a solitary building) and establish some sort of expanding perimeter?

Sad part is that other surviving groups may be a bigger issue than the zombies themselves. Zombies should at least be predictable once you figure out their abilities. Count me down as a vote for wanting some sort of surveillance net set up with noise makers placed in strategic locations that could be used to distract the zombies from homing in on foraging parties or even used to set up kill zones of our own design away from the base camp.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #54
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Someone should probably be doing research in the field of methane. If we can somehow adapt it for usage in generators, it will become useful shit.
Personally I'm going to be taking over a local nursing home. Yes there are too many windows but they have a large supply of medicine. Most of the tenants are basically half zombie anyways.....maybe we can send them out and the zombies will just move on, thinking the place is already overrun.

Also if the zombie apocalypse happens, does it negate the existance of a god? I think you can pretty much do whatever you want then.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #55
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Someone should probably be doing research in the field of methane. If we can somehow adapt it for usage in generators, it will become useful shit.
Personally I'm going to be taking over a local nursing home. Yes there are too many windows but they have a large supply of medicine. Most of the tenants are basically half zombie anyways.....maybe we can send them out and the zombies will just move on, thinking the place is already overrun.

Also if the zombie apocalypse happens, does it negate the existance of a god? I think you can pretty much do whatever you want then.

That nice big building I can't seem to see my picture of now? its got MANY floors and a number of sub basements.

You hit the nail on teh head, Methane. We farm pigs and use their pigshit to produce methane for heat and electricity.

Waste goes into Lake Erie. We can run piping to and from the lake itself and still have modernisistic bathrooms and showers. If we do the methane right we can even have hot running water.

Can everyone else see the picture? I can't anymore. Its a frontal shot of the Buffalo City Hall Building.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #56
RendeR
Coordinator

THis place will also become quite useful in the event of marauding bands from other survivor groups. Its literally a mountain, brick off the lower windows and we really wouldn't have to fear a breach from below. Now if someone got ahole of a tank or a warplane? thats a different story.

I mentioned too that the loading docks have tons of room, we could park a moderate sized armored platoon in there and keep it protected. Did I mention a reserve base about 30 minutes north of us? Supply and repair unit. trucks, armored vehicles and decades worth of dry goods.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #57
RendeR
Coordinator

Not that I've given this ANY thought what so ever.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:33 PM   #58
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Officially, I'll go on record with my opinion that you guys are idiots for going on and on about this stupid contingency plan.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #59
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Unofficially, I'm beelining my way toward you guys when the shit hits the fan.

RIP

Last edited by Crim : 02-12-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #60
DanGarion
Coordinator

Fortunately we've moved away from the cemetery that we were down the street from, so we should be able to escape the first wave easily now.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #61
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Set up a path.

HB - We'll be hitting Joes Army and Navy on Woodward. We'll need some of those Rations.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #62
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My wife brought home the Zombie Haiku book by Ryan Mecum. An entertaining read for while we are holed up.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-16-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #63
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I gotta ask and this. This has been a slow moving and building internet meme for months now (much like real zombies themselves! coincidence?).

And I know it's stupid to try and trace or ask about this- but any idea where/how this blew up? For instance, all your base can be easily traced to one stupid video. Chuck Norris goes back to the Chuck Norris "feats" website. Zombies- where did it come from and who helped hugely publicize this important threat?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #64
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Ok, I gotta ask and this. This has been a slow moving and building internet meme for months now (much like real zombies themselves! coincidence?).

And I know it's stupid to try and trace or ask about this- but any idea where/how this blew up? For instance, all your base can be easily traced to one stupid video. Chuck Norris goes back to the Chuck Norris "feats" website. Zombies- where did it come from and who helped hugely publicize this important threat?

SI

You need to take a few months out of your life and devote it to George Romero, Resident Evil (numbered games only) and Max Brooks, amongst others. This problem has been simmering for centuries but only in the last 30 years has the magnitude of which the Zombie problem will be come to light.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #65
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

SI

Dunno. I've been "all about the zombies" since well back in my college days, which was a long time ago. Not sure when the internet decided to catch up with me or when it became a "meme", but I'm glad to see the world is finally waking up to the threat we may all face one day.

If I cared about this sort of thing, I guess I would feel like the cool kids feel when one of their favorite indie bands finally gets discovered and becomes popular. But I don't, so I just embrace the zombie hate and encourage vigilance.

To answer your question more directly, it's possible that it started building slowly a few years back when "World War Z" was released. You throw in the recent "Left 4 Dead" craze and I think that could be part of the recipe right there.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #66
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

SI

Oh yeah. You were better off when you were in Kansas. The East Coast is going to be a nightmare. Luckily, being in Richmond, you're at the southren cusp of the ugly 95 cooridoor running from Northern Virginia up through Boston. So, you may have a shot. Head west.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 03-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #67
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Oh yeah. You were better off when you were in Kansas. The East Coast is going to be a nightmare. Luckily, being in Richmond, you're at the southren cusp of the ugly 95 cooridoor running from Northern Virginia up through Boston. So, you may have a shot. Head west.

HB we need to discuss posseing up. I got two others ready and willing and they have a huge weapons cache. We just need proper transportation secured.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #68
MikeVic
Head Coach

What about Canada?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #69
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What about Canada?

Pack some thermals and head North. Zombies freeze, but be careful, they won't die from exposure.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #70
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
You need to take a few months out of your life and devote it to George Romero, Resident Evil (numbered games only) and Max Brooks, amongst others. This problem has been simmering for centuries but only in the last 30 years has the magnitude of which the Zombie problem will be come to light.

Well, I know- I get that zombies and the concept of zombies have been around for a long time.

I read World War Z (well, listened to the book on tape). But it's a book- decent sales but it's not like a phenomenon all it's own. It's no Harry Potter or Davinci Code or even some of these silly lesser ones that come along like the Twilight books.

Resident Evil 4 was one of the couple best games on the Gamecube (and then whatever other silly systems Capcom dropped their exclusivity contract of the fabled "Capcom Five" for). But the Resident Evil series has been going for 10 years, give or take. And it's not like they're the only zombie game on the block- hell, I still have Typing of the Dead with my Dreamcast and keyboard...

So, in short- I know all about these things. I was trying to make my original post more tongue-in-cheek but I guess it caused the point to be lost.

Really, in the last 6 months or so, it's really been pushing hard for "internet memedom"- I've seen it all over the place and was wondering what (likely stupid) thing really gave it the crazy push

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #71
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
HB we need to discuss posseing up. I got two others ready and willing and they have a huge weapons cache. We just need proper transportation secured.

It's a done deal. I have a Subaru Outback. Lots of storage in the back and surprisingly good 4 wheel drive capabilities. My friend has an XTerra. We're decent on transport. Since we should have a good head start, we should be able to get outside of populated areas before the roads jam up.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #72
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Well, I know- I get that zombies and the concept of zombies have been around for a long time.

I read World War Z (well, listened to the book on tape). But it's a book- decent sales but it's not like a phenomenon all it's own. It's no Harry Potter or Davinci Code or even some of these silly lesser ones that come along like the Twilight books.

So, in short- I know all about these things. I was trying to make my original post more tongue-in-cheek but I guess it caused the point to be lost.

Really, in the last 6 months or so, it's really been pushing hard for "internet memedom"- I've seen it all over the place and was wondering what (likely stupid) thing really gave it the crazy push

SI

Well, first, for something to be popular on the internet, even pushing hard for "internet memedom", it doesn't necessarily mean that it is, or ever was, popular by regular standards. Just look at the whole "Snakes on a Plane" thing. It was a huge internet phenomenon that folks thought would lead to a huge box office but... not so much. Also, if you ever look at any "best X ever" polls based solely on on-line voting, the stuff is incredibly skewed towards TV series/movies that aren't or were never all that wildly popular, but yet have a rabid fanbase that's likely to be on-line (see, e.g., Whedon, Joss).

If I had to guess, I might say "Left 4 Dead" might have sparked the most recent interest. Combine that with a slowly growing popularity of "World War Z" and the comic "Walking Dead" and that could be enough.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #73
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

SI

I like to think it was the CT & Jivin Show.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #74
Poli
FOFC Survivor

After reading this, I feel I wasted much of my childhood years building fortresses and bunkers to stave off the impending Russian invasion.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #75
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
After reading this, I feel I wasted much of my childhood years building fortresses and bunkers to stave off the impending Russian invasion.

Just convert them!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #76
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be some Russian zombies to deal with...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 03-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #77
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've read probably a dozen zombie books over the past half year. For whatever reason, I'm addicted to eating human brains.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-25-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #78
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I've read probably a dozen zombie books over the past half year. For whatever reason, I'm addicted to eating human brains.

Alien zombies?!? We're fucked.

RIP
Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #79
Kodos
Resident Alien

And, yes, we're the liquid kind of zombies.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #80
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Alien zombies?!? We're fucked.

Meh... Illegal aliens... deport them
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #81
Flasch186
Coordinator

{looks around house to find stuff to make himself valuable to the group of survivors}

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #82
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Being somewhat new to the concept of zombie destruction I have to innocently ask if its restricted to humans or do we have other species to worry about here?

(if it is human only then I should be fine, defended by my army of "attack cats" (trademark pending) )
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #83
Kodos
Resident Alien

Careful. In the book I'm reading right now, Monster Island, one lady joined the zombie ranks when she tried to pet a zombie cat, and there were also some close scrapes with zombie pigeons.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #84
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Careful. In the book I'm reading right now, Monster Island, one lady joined the zombie ranks when she tried to pet a zombie cat, and there were also some close scrapes with zombie pigeons.

In that case we're in trouble here - the pets outnumber the humans easily ... plus they're so darn cute ....

PS - If this truly is the case then just how far down the chain does it go and what can infect what? - ie. zombie mosquito's might be somewhat awkward to avoid in Florida
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #85
DeToxRox
Head Coach

If you have G4 TV, Sunday is G4 Underground, featuring a group of people who're trained in case of a Zombie Uprising. It's on Sunday at 9.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #86
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Old 06-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #87
DataKing
Pro Rookie

If anyone finds a theater showing Dead Snow later this month in their neighborhood (especially if your neighborhood is Chicago) I expect a full report. I've been waiting for this thing to come to the states since I first heard about it last year.

Død snø (2009) - Release dates

What could be better than Zombies you ask? I give you...Nazi Zombies!!!
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #88
JediKooter
Coordinator

Oh hell yes!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #89
gstelmack
Pro Starter

We need more discussions on whether the three-lane peashooter is worth the cost or if you should just go with a vertical row of dual-shooters. Definitely finding two columns of sunflowers/shrooms helps build up a thick defense for the large waves though.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #90
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yeah, I dunno how open to the idea of pets/animals becoming zombies I am. It just seems a little far fetched for me...and yes I realize how that sounded.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #91
MikeVic
Head Coach

I thought zombies go for human brains since they're delicious/hearty. I don't think they'd go for animal brains since they're not as advance and hearty as our brains.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #92
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
We need more discussions on whether the three-lane peashooter is worth the cost or if you should just go with a vertical row of dual-shooters. Definitely finding two columns of sunflowers/shrooms helps build up a thick defense for the large waves though.

Repeaters that you eventually upgrade to gatlings with a row of torchwoods behind your tall-nuts. Mix in a couple winter melons and you're good to go.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #93
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Repeaters that you eventually upgrade to gatlings with a row of torchwoods behind your tall-nuts. Mix in a couple winter melons and you're good to go.

I just got the money to buy the gatlings and am going to have to try them out shortly. I love me some torchwoods. The fog just showed up and I'm having to switch tactics.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #94
DataKing
Pro Rookie

For any of my fellow zombiephiles in Chicago...Dead Snow will be showing at the Music Box theater in Wrigleyville July 17th to the 23rd.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 06-11-2009 at 03:00 PM.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #95
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

It's been a few days, I'm kind of disappointed that Michael Jackson hasn't come back yet from the dead. I guess thriller was just some fancy Hollywood production and not a documentary. I really thought this was the beginning of the Dancing Zombie Apocalypse.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #96
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I have now finished Plants vs Zombies and believe this has the best video game ending EVER. Great payoff for a $10 game.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #97
Kodos
Resident Alien

Figured you guys might like this picture of my daughter, Miranda.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #98
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Figured you guys might like this picture of my daughter, Miranda.

That's awesome! She seems to really be getting into character too.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #99
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This is pretty cool news. I hope they end up making it. It's a great comic series.

Frank Darabont circles zombies - Entertainment News, TV News, Media - Variety

Frank Darabont circles zombies

AMC attacks comic series adaptation

By CYNTHIA LITTLETON

AMC is venturing into zombie-drama territory with multi-hyphenate Frank Darabont.

Cabler is close to finalizing one of the richest development deals ever with Darabont to write and direct a series adaptation of the Image Comics graphic novel series "The Walking Dead," penned by Robert Kirkman. Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Motion Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion are also on board to exec produce.

Project is set among a group of zombie survivors of an apocalypse who are led by a police officer, Rick Grimes, in search of a safe place to live. Numerous editions of the "Walking Dead" graphic novels have been published since 2003.

Joel Stillerman, AMC's senior veep of programming, production and original content, said the project appealed to the cabler because of "the quality of the storytelling" in Kirkman's work. The series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels, he said.

"This is not about zombies popping out of closets," Stillerman said. "This is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."

Stillerman noted that the cabler's annual "Fear Fest" movie showcase around Halloween is one of AMC's most popular programming events of the year.

"We've got an audience that loves this kind of material," he said.
Darabont and Hurd pitched the project to AMC and several other outlets. There is no studio attached yet. The duo's involvement made the project a must-have for the cabler, Stillerman said.
"These are two world-class filmmakers who are also brilliant storytellers with experience in the fantasy genre," he said.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #100
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

figured you guys might be interested in this:
http://www.mathstat.uottawa.ca/~rsmith/Zombies.pdf

Abstract:
“Zombies are a popular figure in pop culture/entertainment and they are usually
portrayed as being brought about through an outbreak or epidemic. Consequently,
we model a zombie attack, using biological assumptions based on popular zombie
movies. We introduce a basic model for zombie infection, determine equilibria and
their stability, and illustrate the outcome with numerical solutions. We then refine the
model to introduce a latent period of zombification, whereby humans are infected, but
not infectious, before becoming undead. We then modify the model to include the
effects of possible quarantine or a cure. Finally, we examine the impact of regular,
impulsive reductions in the number of zombies and derive conditions under which
eradication can occur. We show that only quick, aggressive attacks can stave off the
doomsday scenario: the collapse of society as zombies overtake us all.”

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 08-24-2009 at 09:39 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote